ESL Guild Wars 2 Officially Shutdown.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

Honestly, I’m not surprised. This esports crusade was destined to fail.

All that esports marketing….for what? 1000 twitch views? OP elite specs? Lack of balance? Broken leagues? No separate queues? Dwindling players?

Sadly, some in this community thought that esports was a good thing was this game, that it made PvP “competitive”. Well…it’s not. It’s failed. Esports was an albatross on PvPs neck that kept it from progressing. Now there’s a chance, if ANet is willing, to finally fix PvP to at least make it fun to play.

I hope ANet and this community learned a lesson from this. A game needs to be fundamentally good before it can be competitive. It’s NEVER the other way around.

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

Honestly, I’m not surprised. This esports crusade was destined to fail.

All that esports marketing….for what? 1000 twitch views? OP elite specs? Lack of balance? Broken leagues? No separate queues? Dwindling players?

Sadly, some in this community thought that esports was a good thing was this game, that it made PvP “competitive”. Well…it’s not. It’s failed. Esports was an albatross on PvPs neck that kept it from progressing. Now there’s a chance, if ANet is willing, to finally fix PvP to at least make it fun to play.

I hope ANet and this community learned a lesson from this. A game needs to be fundamentally good before it can be competitive. It’s NEVER the other way around.

“I hope ANet and this community learned a lesson from this. A game needs to be fundamentally good before it can be competitive. It’s NEVER the other way around.

I was thinking of mailing something along the lines of this as a plaque to MO, you with me?

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

so what are all the tryhard gonna do now?

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

pve content of course

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

This game is 4 year old and dying

This game is still one of the highest populated MMOs .. dying LOOOOL

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

in PvP

Vegeta.2563

Nail in the coffin.

We’re done here. Ya kittening blew it anet.

blew it with eSports.. you do realize this is a good thing?

Means they can focus on content in the game rather than spending the time on crappy eSports

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Balance would be better if it was only balanced around PvE.

Are you for real?

Change to stab was made because of WvW

If you mean the initial change: No that was because of PvP.

Quickness/Slow stomps were removed because of PvP

Yeah, that really hurts PvE!

Bunker meta was nerfed directly because of PvP

And that was overdue, even for PvE – who wants to play a game that’s no challenge? (apperantly a lot, as all I meet are players who opted for long range).

And this is their problem. They will randomly apply gamewide balance to fix what they consider a problem in only 1 game mode.

PvE and WvW are still balanced ‘together’. PvP is balanced separately:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-February-22-2017
For example. PvP has got different damage calculations as well, that’s why it’s a separate game mode already and they had amulett balance in the past 1,5 years = bogus balance.

The problem anet has got now: All that’s left are people who think PvE is somewhat hard = the least competitive players imaginable. They can’t repell them with a ‘real’ balance patch as the competitive players left.
If there was a balance like 2 years ago, where most classes and even sets were about equal, then there shouldn’t be a problem for PvE at all as you can always nerf any boss into the ground, it doesn’t matter. And if no matter what class could beat no matter what other class, then it shouldn’t matter what class you take to a dungeon/raid.
PvE is the least that needs any balance.
PvP shouldn’t be separated from the rest of the modes or: separate PvE and combine WvW and PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Do you really think, balancing arround people that don’t even understand half of the things they are talking about and that have completely different opinions on what should get changed, often based on anecdotal experiences and lack of knowledge, will somehow improve the game?

We would probably end up without any dmg skills, because apparently everything that can kill other players must be op accoding to someone …

And that, yes. My non thief buddies annoy me about stealth non stop. They will never get that it’s only pistol offhand that can do that. The majority of the people on the forums won’t get that. But we will get more and more reveal skills and have less and less diversity.
People will always complain, no matter what change – anet should’ve had a pro balancing team from the start and they should’ve had the balls not to listen to the endless demands on the forums because they’d know better. Listeining solely to ‘what people want’ isn’t helping you at all.

in PvP

Posted by: Trigr.6481

Trigr.6481

If only they listened to the community This could have been avoided.

The community doesn’t have the best track record for recommending changes. I would also argue that the community did not go out of its way to make it successful. There were a few people that made an effort to make it successful, but not nearly enough.

It’s not the communities responsibility to go out of their way to make it successful, if it were I’d expect to be paid for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Burtnik.5218

Burtnik.5218

From LordHelseth on Reddit :

"

“yay now my game mode will have frequent updates, expansion will release next month, theyll have more devs because they finally stopped working on esports”

Last esportss project was 6 months ago and obviously paid for well before it happened.

How much of a difference are you feeling?

Diamond in smite after one month, keep an eye out for us!
"

He wont be diamond for long cus he plays like silver/goldie there. He just got lucky and got carried

Salt, salt, moar salt. So salty like fries from McDonald!
Playing Smite since mid s2, f broken gw2.

in PvP

Posted by: doomslayer.6574

doomslayer.6574

Esports has been the biggest failure in the entire guild wars 2 history in both as a project and a marketing strategy. It was long dead before it started but Anet continued to drag its dead body for years to fulfill their self centered ego. good riddance its gone

(edited by doomslayer.6574)

in PvP

doomslayer.6574

Do you really think, balancing arround people that don’t even understand half of the things they are talking about and that have completely different opinions on what should get changed, often based on anecdotal experiences and lack of knowledge, will somehow improve the game?

We would probably end up without any dmg skills, because apparently everything that can kill other players must be op accoding to someone …

And that, yes. My non thief buddies annoy me about stealth non stop. They will never get that it’s only pistol offhand that can do that. The majority of the people on the forums won’t get that. But we will get more and more reveal skills and have less and less diversity.
People will always complain, no matter what change – anet should’ve had a pro balancing team from the start and they should’ve had the balls not to listen to the endless demands on the forums because they’d know better. Listeining solely to ‘what people want’ isn’t helping you at all.

Jana plz come back to Darkhaven <3

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Good. Hopefully now they will focus on PvP balance for the average player, instead of ESL level players.

I dont know where you placed last season but i finished almost at plat2 .

The last PvP match i did THIS season looked liked this.

The idea of balancing for weak players wont work and it doesnt work the other way either.

I wished i taped it because i would walk into 1 vs 3 fights and they couldnt even force me to use a rebound.

That’s why I’m always asking them to balance around the average player. They need to be balancing around high gold (making an assumption about the distribution of players here). Not around bronze, and not around ESL. You will never have good balance if you balance around either end of the spectrum.

I disagree to a point,

You cant balance around gold players simply because they are not good enough. In season 5 i fell from plat 2 to gold 3 back and forth simply because i could carry in gold 3 but not in plat.

Imagine the ESL players, the things gold players struggle against is not the same and at times i dont understand everyones complaints on the forum.

With that said i try to understand, IMO the HOT specs were terrible design so i can see new players hating DH to the highest level.

Ive been a really big advocate of Anet fixing HOT spec lines (which wont happen) but to me thats how you fix PvP and WvW.

I mean ESL brought out alot of the ugly in GW2. The first season we had a ESL team quit 10 sec into a match because of the poor balance. Anet sped up the game 100X.

In the last season The Abjured got screwed a tiny bit because of the broken down state. Which they have addressed, something we the community needs to worry about.

Is in future patches, since Anet is now focused on PvE only. The community needs to worry about the elite level players and the builds they come out with and they wont be shared. Now instead of the DH issue you run into build issues where your getting blown up with no elite level game play to look at why.

For me the ESL scene was good exposure to see the different styles of PvP. Hot killed that but we still got to see elite level rotations on the map and with skill use.

Thats gone and now there is nothing a gold player can do to learn to get better even though there is now no reason too.

in PvP

Posted by: fumbii.3582

fumbii.3582

It was most likely marketing money, so now you will most likely see more gw2 ads.

in PvP

Posted by: Woof.8246

Woof.8246

The community doesn’t have the best track record for recommending changes. I would also argue that the community did not go out of its way to make it successful. There were a few people that made an effort to make it successful, but not nearly enough.

It’s not the communities responsibility to go out of their way to make it successful, if it were I’d expect to be paid for it.

This ^-^
Its not the problem of the top players/streamers , to do this

Captain Kuro

in PvP

Posted by: Zxavier Augistine.7312

Zxavier Augistine.7312

This ^-^

This, PVP was boring to watch at least with a MOBA i can understand the match and i know when an important objective has been taken and when some big upset happens. in gw2’s pvp if you lose a point 5 seconds later it would be capped again. if a player dies, theres very little weight behind it and considering that theres no counterplay to be heard of aside from “cleanse those condi, pop stab, heal up.”

ask yourself how do you counter a heal or a cleanse? use a CC? how can you tell as a spectator what just happened? boring to watch not too fun to play, and even with skill, Anet’a balance team made little to no effort to open up build diversity or more importantly CLASS diversity.

in short its not the community’s fault the community is what kept ESL running as long as it did, when was the last time someone from the LoL or Smite, or DoTA community talking about how they want to come to GW2 for the pvp? meanwhile Helseth went to Smite, spoke about smite, and is playing smite. dont see a big name from any mobas on our game, and promoting it in the off season do ya?

people are the reason we cant have nice things…
Guild Wars 2: waiting for content simulator.

in PvP

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

This ^-^

This, PVP was boring to watch at least with a MOBA i can understand the match and i know when an important objective has been taken and when some big upset happens. in gw2’s pvp if you lose a point 5 seconds later it would be capped again. if a player dies, theres very little weight behind it and considering that theres no counterplay to be heard of aside from “cleanse those condi, pop stab, heal up.”

ask yourself how do you counter a heal or a cleanse? use a CC? how can you tell as a spectator what just happened? boring to watch not too fun to play, and even with skill, Anet’a balance team made little to no effort to open up build diversity or more importantly CLASS diversity.

in short its not the community’s fault the community is what kept ESL running as long as it did, when was the last time someone from the LoL or Smite, or DoTA community talking about how they want to come to GW2 for the pvp? meanwhile Helseth went to Smite, spoke about smite, and is playing smite. dont see a big name from any mobas on our game, and promoting it in the off season do ya?

This. Accusing the community for a failed venture they had little to no opportunity to course-correct is one of the most unintelligent comments said on this forum.

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I disagree to a point,

You cant balance around gold players simply because they are not good enough. In season 5 i fell from plat 2 to gold 3 back and forth simply because i could carry in gold 3 but not in plat.

I agree with this. If you balance around gold players, anybody better than gold would abuse the eff out of the broken build(s) and be OP. If you balance around ESL players then there aren’t OP builds since you’d have to be that good to utilize it.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

This ^-^

How many little league coaches are paid? How many kids soccer coaches and refs are paid? Those sports are much more successful than any “esport”. If the community doesn’t try to grow itself, it will shrink as people leave to play the next new game.

in PvP

Posted by: xeonage.1253

xeonage.1253

This game is 4 year old and dying

This game is still one of the highest populated MMOs .. dying LOOOOL

Ho! GOD! Are you serious!? HO! Am I live in Mars!? Is there earth? wake up ~ dying is not dead but more deadly.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

while im happy to hear that Anet’s hubris bit them in the backside and refused to let go in this case. a thought occurs to me, maybe this is because they’re losing devs to other companies?

Mike O said a while ago hes looking for a new lead dev with no announcement on finding someone new, theres been people leaving left and right, maybe they dont have the people to actually do anything about this, or fixing wvw, or producing more content for pve?

dont get me wrong, im still salty over seeing WvW being left behind in the dust and glad to see that competitive pvp not being a thing in the near future, i still think its probably due to the company being understaffed and not fully up to the task at this moment.

still my original opinion stands that at this moment, this is a good thing and bad thing for gw2. hopefully more good than bad, as much as i want gw2 to succeed in turning this around, i want them to take this lesson and actually learn from it.

there was a time when the devs listened to us and wanted our feedback and shared with us, now theyre as cold as ice with us and have turned their back so viciously that a ban or a reprimand or a thread lock is always the first thing on their minds rather than understanding and comprehending the issue thats being addressed.

https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm

this is interesting, take it with a grain of salt though.

Yeah if this is even remotely true it seems they spend a lot of keeping people very comfortable at work but pay less, how much we don’t know but it would explain people leaving. More money is more money after all and experience in this industry counts especially when the employees are still relatively young.

Strikes me that ANet isn’t understaffed it just has a lot of new staff which can be a huge issue as they need training but unless they sort out the pay gap they will lose them all when Amazon starts waving the green around.

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

So many years to get their act together. This is what happens when you don’t balance your game. If you don’t have a balanced skillful game that is appealing to uninitiated people, no one is going to watch and your e-sports scene will die.

Shame cuz the combat feels so good, tons of potential.

Class balance issues aside to many arbitrary things got pushed away because of practice standards that don’t ultimately promoted balance.

“Can’t change X, without chaining Y for consistency!” Even if it means changing X and leaving Y alone would be healthier? lol okay, hope you’re happy.

I do honestly hope the game learns from this and gets better.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

while im happy to hear that Anet’s hubris bit them in the backside and refused to let go in this case. a thought occurs to me, maybe this is because they’re losing devs to other companies?

Mike O said a while ago hes looking for a new lead dev with no announcement on finding someone new, theres been people leaving left and right, maybe they dont have the people to actually do anything about this, or fixing wvw, or producing more content for pve?

dont get me wrong, im still salty over seeing WvW being left behind in the dust and glad to see that competitive pvp not being a thing in the near future, i still think its probably due to the company being understaffed and not fully up to the task at this moment.

still my original opinion stands that at this moment, this is a good thing and bad thing for gw2. hopefully more good than bad, as much as i want gw2 to succeed in turning this around, i want them to take this lesson and actually learn from it.

there was a time when the devs listened to us and wanted our feedback and shared with us, now theyre as cold as ice with us and have turned their back so viciously that a ban or a reprimand or a thread lock is always the first thing on their minds rather than understanding and comprehending the issue thats being addressed.

https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Reviews/ArenaNet-Reviews-E255820.htm

this is interesting, take it with a grain of salt though.

Yeah if this is even remotely true it seems they spend a lot of keeping people very comfortable at work but pay less, how much we don’t know but it would explain people leaving. More money is more money after all and experience in this industry counts especially when the employees are still relatively young.

Strikes me that ANet isn’t understaffed it just has a lot of new staff which can be a huge issue as they need training but unless they sort out the pay gap they will lose them all when Amazon starts waving the green around.

As a consumer you need to look at some of the comments as red flags when they say “good” thing.

Like “laid back” and “easy going”, nothing better then the “stress free” environment.

For me those are not great things when everyone writes that down.

The other one is when they write length of time with a the company. Like many reviews say ohhh been working with them for 1-2 years.

This is not a good thing as well since that would mean a high turn over rate. In a MMO where the story has been worse, PvP and WvW have been worse. Also the original style of game play has changed, its pretty obvious that the original idea of what GW2 was suppose to be is no longer the same.

Lastly if i recall the current event Super Adventure Box, this wasnt even a planned event. 1 of the programmers made this in his spare time.

I mean the players currently not playing is a big red flag and the ESL should be a bomb to this game when it comes to the PvP side of things. Anet will have to keep the PvE players happy but it looks like even that has gone in the 50/50 side of things.

in PvP

Posted by: Tyrion.9015

Tyrion.9015

If you want real Guild-Wars, go play Gw1. That is the pvp they should have never left. I think that would be a kick in their ba*** too.

in PvP

Posted by: Mr Godlike.6098

Mr Godlike.6098

Adds, trailers…things that doesn’t provide any content for people who already play the game.

Was depressed ele…now depressed druid
Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Mr Godlike.6098

From LordHelseth on Reddit :

"

“yay now my game mode will have frequent updates, expansion will release next month, theyll have more devs because they finally stopped working on esports”

Last esportss project was 6 months ago and obviously paid for well before it happened.

How much of a difference are you feeling?

Diamond in smite after one month, keep an eye out for us!
"

Helseth sarcasm is just perfect in this situation.

Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

I am not the least bit interested in what Helseth thinks. In my opinion, his contribution to the game was more negative than it was positive.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Vegeta.2563

I am not the least bit interested in what Helseth thinks. In my opinion, his contribution to the game was more negative than it was positive.

Yeah no kidding. “I’m Helseth.. I’m the best.. blah blah blah”

Rather not have someone like that represent GW2

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Raids only appeal to what appears to be a very small faction. I’d rather see the money spent on getting and keeping Devs.

Every area of the game seems to be hurting. I don’t honestly think it’s lack of resources. From what I’ve read on the net.. it seems more like bureaucratic issues.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Mr Godlike.6098

Here’s an article from MassivelyOP covering ESL dropping GW2 from Professional Gaming,

http://massivelyop.com/2017/04/04/esl-gaming-is-shutting-down-guild-wars-2s-e-sports-section/

perhaps ANet can reallocate those resources into making an easier Tier for Raiding comparable to Fractals T1 and T2?

So about that…money from esports where purely from marketing budget, not from developers pockets or any resources tied with game development. All money was from marketing budget.

Truth is that this anet has already money to put effort in any part of the game. Esport money pool is laughable for company big as Anet.

So now there is no esports so I guess we will see more gw 2 banners and adds around internet.

Besides as already certain somebody pointed out – there wasn’t any esport event in half an year…did you noticed any of good quality content in gw 2?

Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

Posted by: Rukia.9860

Rukia.9860

Now ANet can make pvp fun with variety of modes like in GW1 and let your community make the game into esport for you, perhaps we could even get the legendary GvG.

in PvP

Mr Godlike.6098

Now ANet can make pvp fun with variety of modes like in GW1 and let your community make the game into esport for you, perhaps we could even get the legendary GvG.

You can’t make anything with empty servers and pve rewards grinders.

Kawaleria (KW)

in PvP

doomslayer.6574

Lets Be Honest Here

Helseth isn’t that good…

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

what in the flying kitten makes any of you think the ending of ESL is all of a sudden going to magicallly fix all your problems…… seriously…. ill wait.

Oh well they will be able to focus on balancing the game for the average player….. oh…. well that settles that…. PHEW! i am so relieved to know the people who will be making the balance decisions now are the ones who dont even fully understand the skills they are using.

You all thought this kitten was bad before? Its about to get BRUTAL.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

i know right screw listening to the opinions of a player who seemed to understand the games skills and tactics on a better level than most other players…. id rather listening to the mesmer rolling their face on the keyboard and then complaining about their losses on the forum.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Ziggityzog.7389

Ziggityzog.7389

Why are any of you happy about this? Basically giving up on competitive pvp… and you are all rejoicing….. sad.

PVP died around season 3. As a pvp player since gw2 drop I’ve been on n off but things were fine before they started seasons which brought in the riff raf who just want boxes of shinys and don’t care about actually winning or trying. Then anet takes out the only legit pvp mode ( Courtyard) to make it circle jer* in the middle pvp. To add on to of that thye never did a actual balance to builds they kind of just randomly make some ok adjustments and over power some classes.

They need to try to take their game seriously again one day since people enjoy it. Or just start on GW3 if they may have given up.

lol’ing at thos who use broken builds and claim to be good since 2005.

|||Necro the masterclass very few know about.|||

in PvP

Posted by: Falan.1839

Falan.1839

If they balance PvP around the whine threads in this forum, we’re doomed.

Caissech / Falásya

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Me and others told them 3 years ago that you can’t just “make” a game esports. You have to make a fun game to watch and play and then people will play it and it grows organically.

Gw2 esports was in a coma its entire existence, supported by massive funding from anet. It never got out of the coma as anet just had it on life support.

Anets esports was a total failure. All it did was give a few players a modest amount of money. Most of those players dropped out of school/work to pursue gw2 esports (terrible decision) so they are probably net worse off than before.

Everyone lost. Anet lost. The esports pros lost (most of them). And we lost, the players.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

It was most likely marketing money, so now you will most likely see more gw2 ads.

Which this game could honestly use. For a AAA title this game has about as much advertising as a steam game.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

in PvP

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

Maybe now we can get gw1 based updated pvp mode for the real esports!

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

I’m 1000% sure that esports funds and stuff never hampered dev time and effort on other things. If you feel like they were holding back because of tournaments, you are UTTERLY wrong. The only and I mean the ONLY reason anet hasn’t implemented some feature or mode you want is because that company is incompetent now compared to the talents who created the game.

All I can say is at least Grouch had the vision to try to bring the game to something that the creators of it wanted, but the monkeys who run it now are too incapable of doing.

Darek.1836

in PvP

Posted by: ThatNAESLGuard.6238

ThatNAESLGuard.6238

id be fine with 1k$ tourney every month. 24k a year is nothing to anet and people will actually play PvP again. no one ever expected our tourneys to be 100k.

also @above almost no one quit school or work. like 10 people total maybe

Darek.1836

in PvP

Posted by: The Ace.9105

The Ace.9105

I didn’t say anything about tournaments. I am too tired to care about this game anymore as it is. Just giving some ideas of what could be in the future maybe? If not then rip this game won’t be missed.

in PvP

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

Good. Hopefully now they will focus on PvP balance for the average player, instead of ESL level players.

I dont know where you placed last season but i finished almost at plat2 .

The last PvP match i did THIS season looked liked this.

The idea of balancing for weak players wont work and it doesnt work the other way either.

I wished i taped it because i would walk into 1 vs 3 fights and they couldnt even force me to use a rebound.

That’s why I’m always asking them to balance around the average player. They need to be balancing around high gold (making an assumption about the distribution of players here). Not around bronze, and not around ESL. You will never have good balance if you balance around either end of the spectrum.

I disagree to a point,

Imagine the ESL players, the things gold players struggle against is not the same and at times i dont understand everyones complaints on the forum.

With that said i try to understand, IMO the HOT specs were terrible design so i can see new players hating DH to the highest level.

Ive been a really big advocate of Anet fixing HOT spec lines (which wont happen) but to me thats how you fix PvP and WvW.

I mean ESL brought out alot of the ugly in GW2. The first season we had a ESL team quit 10 sec into a match because of the poor balance. Anet sped up the game 100X.

In the last season The Abjured got screwed a tiny bit because of the broken down state. Which they have addressed, something we the community needs to worry about.

Is in future patches, since Anet is now focused on PvE only. The community needs to worry about the elite level players and the builds they come out with and they wont be shared. Now instead of the DH issue you run into build issues where your getting blown up with no elite level game play to look at why.

For me the ESL scene was good exposure to see the different styles of PvP. Hot killed that but we still got to see elite level rotations on the map and with skill use.

Thats gone and now there is nothing a gold player can do to learn to get better even though there is now no reason too.

Again, I chose high gold off making an assumption about the distribution of players. I’d still be fine with it if it was balanced around mid platinum, as long as balance wasn’t done solely around the very top level.

And you do bring up good points. I agree that the absolute best thing Anet could do to improve PvP (and also the least likely to happen) is to just suck it up and nerf all the elite specs to be in line with core specs (and yes Anet, this means severely nerfing the mechanic of most elite specs as well). Short of that though they need to start balancing for all skill levels. Its absolutely not ok for some builds to be so innately powerful that they can carry players who might as well be asleep in the lower divisions, regardless of how balanced or mediocre they might be at the ESL level. That’s just not balanced, and it actively drives away tons of potential new players. And that’s the types of problems you get when you balance exclusively around ESL level players. Builds that are mediocre at best at high level play, but then can completely carry an entire match at lower divisions due to how forgiving the build itself is.

in PvP

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

The most annoying thing is every time they balance or add anything to pvp, it’s always too small and too infrequent to make it any better. The one game mode offered would be nice if it wasn’t the main option, but it just turns into a sustain fest. There’s basically one viable weapon combo per class and I thought they said having less skills would result in better balance and more viable builds per class.

It’s hard to pin point one problem, I believe pvp needs like a 90% overhaul of everything, but it was too risky so they just played it safe too often and didn’t listen to the community. Also, I don’t think the combat style supports a very competitive pvp. This whole defined/undefined team role of classes/builds I think screws with everything a lot. Like, having a healing build that can also add a decent amount of dps. Having high sustain builds with spike damage.

Sorry if this was a bunch of incoherent rambling.

in PvP

Posted by: Dinster.7063

Dinster.7063

And 3 years later people keep saying the same stuff…

In reality when so-called eSports in this game was somehow possible (3 years ago), GW2 was in super bad state.

The competition level was super low. There were like 50 players max at top lvl and bunch of others, that couldnt create even semi-decent tPvP team (aint even talking about ESL lvl team).

Everyone who wanted to play competitive games and/or had a goal for eSports had left the game 3 years ago.

I ve logged on few mnths ago, everything got even worse (playerbase, competition level, # of tourneys, etc.). For example, I got legend in 2 days with no clue about what they ve done in HoT(I mean i ve read my spells of course). It shouldnt be like that.

So can we guys just get over this topic? Few bullet points:
- eSports was always dead
- no1 gives a kitten about tPvP in GW2 (low % of total playerbase in tPvP)
- Balance patches are… just bad and ACTUALLY are focused on gold/plat lvl players.
- Next time Anet should listen to players and do not kitten up the release of the game

P.S.: still got my tpvp fun in this game, thank you for that, Anet

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

So many years to get their act together. This is what happens when you don’t balance your game. If you don’t have a balanced skillful game that is appealing to uninitiated people, no one is going to watch and your e-sports scene will die.

Shame cuz the combat feels so good, tons of potential.

Class balance issues aside to many arbitrary things got pushed away because of practice standards that don’t ultimately promoted balance.

“Can’t change X, without chaining Y for consistency!” Even if it means changing X and leaving Y alone would be healthier? lol okay, hope you’re happy.

I do honestly hope the game learns from this and gets better.

We’ve warned them over and over. Sometimes it sucks to be right.

If there is one lesson to learn from this it is that you can’t mistreat the elementalists community. They won’t ever forget.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

If they balance PvP around the whine threads in this forum, we’re doomed.

But that’s exactly what they’ve done.

in PvP

Posted by: CaptainVanguard.4925

CaptainVanguard.4925

How anyone can complain about this happening is beyond me.

GW2 is NOT an E-sport and NEVER Would be, how ANYONE believed otherwise is baffling.

No MMO, has ever successfully made an E-sport scene OUTSIDE of Asia that is vastly popular, dont point at WoW because WoW isnt that popular, not even close to MOBA’s like League and FPSMOBA’s like Overwatch which right now are utterly dominating the e-sport scene.

GW2 never had a chance, a game built on a PVE/Dungeon/Raiding/Exploration/Open World and World Vs World Pillar never had a “place” for smaller PVP.

Small PvP shouldnt even exist in this game frankly, unlike GW1 where it actually made sense via the guild v guild structure, Team PvP just feels out of place and pointless, like it was forced in for the sake of giving a minority a thing to do. And Season PvP is even worse, forcing the rest of us to wait for an entire season to end just so we can get new content because “Balance patches will screw up everything” yeah well nobody gives a “kitten ” about you.

Your the minority, look at the ESL drop, thats the proof in the pudding, Season PvP? Nobody -cares-.

Finally A-net can move onto things like WvW, which actually NEED attention and redesigning so the game can move forwards into an actual PvP system it was “Made” for.

As opposed to one it literally wasnt.

You may call that harsh, inconsiderate, and downright ignorant, but honestly? You know im not wrong, ESL and GW2 never mixed, and it had no chance in hell of ever being an e-sport to begin with, a-net wasted god knows how many players gemstore purchased dollars/pounds/euros on something nobody cared about.

And it showed when it came to shove.

So hopefully, they will move on, invest their money into better projects, like actually fleshing out pve zones, giving longer story context, better dungeons/raids and a wvw overhaul that is long overdue.

in PvP

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

Finally A-net can move onto things like WvW, which actually NEED attention and redesigning so the game can move forwards into an actual PvP system it was “Made” for.

As opposed to one it literally wasnt.

Lets be honest here: I don’t longer care for WvW. For 3.5+ years I raided 2-3 days a week, but the game mode always had crapy rewards and any kind of server proud started to die when ANet closed the matchup forums.

Now I only touch WvW to roam, and don’t bother about the scores. Servers were halved, and the thrill is gone. The combat system is the only reason I still play the game, I don’t care about WvW but also I don’t care about PvE either, and don’t see the things changing with a second expension. At least PvP is still fun (low populated but fun).