Finally! Drama Between Top Teams.

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

There is nothing people fancy more than hostility shared between good players. Having said that, it doesn’t matter what sport it is, or on what level; a rivalry infuses “oomph” into the game. This is exactly what competing is all about, and what Guild Wars 2 eSports was missing.

Some rivalries are small but others are literally larger than life and transcend beyond the genre. Those are the ones that fans love the most. These rivalries involve more than just superiority, but clutch factor, grit and perseverance as well. These are the ones that we all know regardless of age or even knowledge of the game in general.

Rivalries are a logical extension of any “eSport”. When you train for days to become the best at a particular event, you are bound to run into opposition. That opposition can take many forms.

It may be an ill-timed decision, bad leadership or horrible strategy. But many times that opposition has a name and a face. It is the group of players standing on the other side of the map planning to ruin your best efforts.

When you take that kind of opposition and drop it into a microcosm of various circumstances, a rivalry is born. They can spring up just about anywhere.

That type of anger is placed in a special subsection of any good “eSport”. Tournaments are cool and all, but the “rivalry match” is circled on the calendar with black ink.

You don’t miss these things for anything in the world.

Rivalries are what make “eSports” transcend from mediocre to great. That is what will fill up the streams to capacity. People want to see an epic battle of two teams who hate each other.

People think they want good sportsmanship and smiles and hugs after a match… not true. I for one welcome the angst between Team Paradigm and Car Crash. I hope to see more rivalries surface in the future.

Trust me on this, bitter rivalries in eSports is a very good thing for this game.

(edited by Jasher.6580)

in PvP

Posted by: Cyhann.2609

Cyhann.2609

Lol, what an interesting way to view things.^^

in PvP

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

Lol I think you are exaggerating the situation somewhat. I think CC has cooled off mostly but their complaints of the handling of the EU tournament definitely should impact the NA tournament.

No more of that Bo5 baloney for the regional finals. And scheduling of matches should not give one team a “well-rested” advantage.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Of course We want drama, We want guild wars!

Smiles And hugs SUX!

Blood!

:D

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Well, here we have Ming II. Or Dana White. Pandering to the lowest common denominator.

in PvP

Posted by: Ynot.8397

Ynot.8397

Let there be blood!

Ferguson’s Crossing→ SoS→ DR→ EBay

in PvP

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

World of Ming for Guild Wars 2 would be amazing.

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

And where eaxctly is this drama supposed to be…?
Why would you make a post on what drama means in a game, and its implications regarding the overall competitiveness, instead of actually you know…post screenshots/videos of it? Ok, it’s true GW2 is as devoid of drama as the Sahara is of water, but come on.
Honestly.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

in PvP

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

Heh, that can only become drama if it is, by some miracle, proven the decision was made specifically to cater to one of the teams. But even then, it lacks the essence that spices up every good drama.
The drama in Team Arenas of GW1 alone was more intense than what GW2 has, and has had since the beginning.

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

World of Ming for Guild Wars 2 would be amazing.

The best!

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

we need same kind of rivalry as some EVE “guilds” have!

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

I agree, rivalries are good thing.

I didn’t watch the tournaments but if CC won out 3 games which is what I assume they did then they should’ve won, I’m not sure what maps they played for 4th and 5th game, but if they were different maps you should have been notified long before those different maps came to be or notified that there will be different maps on 4th and 5th game. CC obviously didn’t know there’d be a 4th and 5th game so I’m pretty sure they didn’t prep for the 4th and 5th map games if they are different.

But if the 4th and 5th game maps were same and they lost 3 out of 5, all it shows is that TP is better team, even though if CC won 2 of 3 in beginning CC should have advanced regardless is TP is better because that’s what the rules state best of 3.

in PvP

Posted by: ThatShortGuy.4672

ThatShortGuy.4672

According to Cc and TP members, both teams were aware before the EU final that it’s a best of five match. CC is complaining the switch was still disorganised.

On topic, rivalry is cool as long as it doesn’t get out of hand.

That Cloaked One / That Phantom Memser / That Dark One
ThatShortGuy.com

in PvP

Jasher.6580

On topic, rivalry is cool as long as it doesn’t get out of hand.

I disagree. I think it’s even better when it gets out of hand.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

in PvP

Jasher.6580

I think we need more than that. The drama between EVE guilds were quite mild compared to what I have in mind.

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

I think we need more than that. The drama between EVE guilds were quite mild compared to what I have in mind.

Don’t think you can have it in a game as simple as this though.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in PvP

Posted by: Isaac.6041

Isaac.6041

Looks like the drama isn’t over yet. Nice surprise from ArenaNet today.

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Drama :o

I tell you what drama is. When you are in the final map of a 10-consecutive maps single-elimination global tournament winstreak, along with 2 other teams, you are currently the bests of bests, and at the start, the other 2 teams ignore every kind of goal on the map but start killing off each other because of pure hatred between them.

All this happening in an in-game observer mode that anyone can see.

I miss HoH

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

Drama between top teams? I see no drama between TP/TC and TCG/Denial…

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius