Finally, turret engi has been fixed

in PvP

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Question for Arenanet developers: Why the turrets were nerfed in all game modes? Was there much complaints that turrets were overpowered in pve or WvWvW?

From everything they’ve done so far they are loathe to split the functionality of skills/mechanics unless give no other choice. However this being the sPvP subforum you are not really going to see much sympathy as the focus of many a poster is solely spvp despite there being additional game modes that are stuck with the changes for good or ill.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

no worries, i’ll just grab the ground target trait and throw them to impossible to reach locations XD
(ontop of pillars is a good spot!)

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

no worries, i’ll just grab the ground target trait and throw them to impossible to reach locations XD

and yes…this is the next thing they need to fix

i was going to to say that myself

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

On top of pillars isn’t nearly as bad as having them literally float mid-air. Only a few turrets would work well from up high anyway, and if they were down on the ground they would die in 2-3 seconds. This might be the way to respond to the changes; through severe tactical positioning. It is a defensive build after all, so it can only be expected.

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

They said Ground targeting will be baseline didn’t they? So Flying them will be gone but, tossing them against things will still work. BUT, half the time they don’t even fire when placed up on things anyway. A couple of weeks ago they really started acting up.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

They said Ground targeting will be baseline didn’t they? So Flying them will be gone but, tossing them against things will still work. BUT, half the time they don’t even fire when placed up on things anyway. A couple of weeks ago they really started acting up.

Ground-targeting will be baseline for Necromancer wells but turrets were, surprisingly, not included. That is not to say that it would not become baseline, but I don’t think they said it would be.

in PvP

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

Instead of removing Turrets “completely” from the game anet should have taken a bigger approach and completely rework turrets to make them viable but not OP in all game-modes.

Please explain how turrets are viable in WvWvW or pve, because they are NOT. They were bad before this patch and now they are utter garbage, except for the launch from the accelerant packed turrets traits.

I think the general consensus is: Arenanet nerfed turrets to oblivion. Some players are probably happy about it, but similarly some other players would be happy to see stealth or entire professions completely removed from the game.

It is sad that Arenanet is probably repeating the mistake with the grenade kit, making it totally subpar for WvWvW by massively nerfing the range from 1500 to 900. It is “nice” that the rarest profession in WvWvW gets hit by nerf hammer time after time (I know engineers are common in spvp, but NOT everybody’s main game is spvp). After the planned changes, why would anybody consider grenade engineer over staff elementalist, which is already much better than engi in support, burst, dps and utility?

Question for Arenanet developers: Why the turrets were nerfed in all game modes? Was there much complaints that turrets were overpowered in pve or WvWvW?

Yes they are. The turret shield alone is worth it. Strategically placed, I’ve killed people bouncing stuff off those shields. Clogged up the pathway into the lords room of SM. knocked people out of towers with thumper and forced delay of spam into lords room due to bubble. Rocket and rifle on walls above to hit ram users, thumper behind doors to knock them off. Easily solo camps, upgraded or not. Easily defeat roaming thieves or run them off. Is it perfect in WvW? No. But then no build is.

Just because YOU don’t see them as viable doesn’t mean they aren’t.

in PvP

Posted by: nightblood.7910

nightblood.7910

Well, this is one part I dont understand about Anet right now. In GW1 there were WAY MORE skills that were different and did different things in PvP than in PvE. Same skills just nerfed in PvP, sometimes doing something completely different.

You could have easily argued that turrets needed a buff previously in WvW, where there is a ton of people around, but in PvP where its one to two people attacking, they were easily overpowered.

They do it some, but have no where close to the differences between PvP and other game modes as they did in GW1.

Personally I would have thought the right thing to do was give them a buff in WvW/PvE and a nerf in PvP.

(edited by nightblood.7910)

in PvP

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

Yes they are. The turret shield alone is worth it. Strategically placed, I’ve killed people bouncing stuff off those shields. Clogged up the pathway into the lords room of SM. knocked people out of towers with thumper and forced delay of spam into lords room due to bubble. Rocket and rifle on walls above to hit ram users, thumper behind doors to knock them off. Easily solo camps, upgraded or not. Easily defeat roaming thieves or run them off. Is it perfect in WvW? No. But then no build is.

No need to get hostile. I have played engineer around 2500 h and big part of that in WvWvW. I am quite often PuG commanding and holding large part of the map, even when both enemy servers double focus on us or when we have the outnumbered “buff” on us. I have several times solo captured every objective we hold (meaning every single tower + camp, which our side controls, was soloed by me). And I mean playing on busy prime time, when enemy servers have lots of large groups or even zone wide blob on the same time. I think I have a fair grasp what works in WvWvW and what doesn’t.

When it comes to roaming: mobility and dps are kings. Any profession can easily solo a camp, but how fast you can do it matters a lot, because otherwise you risk of enemy forces coming to gank you. Turret engineer lacks mobility (no disengage and takes longer time to travel to destination) and has weak condition removal, which is a serious weakness. Fair fights are rare. 1 vs 2-50+ enemies is the norm. In my experience roughly 25-33% of enemy roamers use condition builds with perplexity runes together. High mobility builds, such as GS warrior and D/P + SB thief are extremely common as well.

In large fights turrets are sub optimal choice. Yes, I have also used Accelerant-Packed Turrets to launch enemy players from tower, bridges and ledges and harrass enemy zerg back line, but this is situational at best. Siege weapons work so much better and enemy servers are also known to build ACs even when they are attacking. Pirate ship is the current meta, meaning lots of staff elementalist and staff necromancers and shout guardians + hammer shout warriors. Necro well bombs + meteor shower = adios to all turrets. Any smart enemy team can easily counter the turrets.

It is possible that you are facing completely different types of enemies most of the time.

Back to topic: Does anybody still consider that turrets are viable for any game mode? Conditions and/or hybrid builds currently destroy them very fast.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

in PvP

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

No need to get hostile. I have played engineer around 2500 h and big part of that in WvWvW. I am quite often PuG commanding and holding large part of the map, even when both enemy servers double focus on us or when we have the outnumbered “buff” on us. I have several times solo captured every objective we hold (meaning every single tower + camp, which our side controls, was soloed by me). And I mean playing on busy prime time, when enemy servers have lots of large groups or even zone wide blob on the same time. I think I have a fair grasp what works in WvWvW and what doesn’t.

When it comes to roaming: mobility and dps are kings. Any profession can easily solo a camp, but how fast you can do it matters a lot, because otherwise you risk of enemy forces coming to gank you. Turret engineer lacks mobility (no disengage and takes longer time to travel to destination) and has weak condition removal, which is a serious weakness. Fair fights are rare. 1 vs 2-50+ enemies is the norm. In my experience roughly 25-33% of enemy roamers use condition builds with perplexity runes together. High mobility builds, such as GS warrior and D/P + SB thief are extremely common as well.

In large fights turrets are sub optimal choice. Yes, I have also used Accelerant-Packed Turrets to launch enemy players from tower, bridges and ledges and harrass enemy zerg back line, but this is situational at best. Siege weapons work so much better and enemy servers are also known to build ACs even when they are attacking. Pirate ship is the current meta, meaning lots of staff elementalist and staff necromancers and shout guardians + hammer shout warriors. Necro well bombs + meteor shower = adios to all turrets. Any smart enemy team can easily counter the turrets.

It is possible that you are facing completely different types of enemies most of the time.

Back to topic: Does anybody still consider that turrets are viable for any game mode? Conditions and/or hybrid builds currently destroy them very fast.

Well I appreciate your subjective opinion on how optimal the build is. There are no builds in existence that are optimal for every kind of mode in WvW. I was good at it and I enjoyed playing it. As I was in dungeons. Now some people screamed about it in PvP and the build is 100% useless everywhere.

Thanks, everyone.