Food for thought for ArenaNet

in PvP

Posted by: Statement.2456

Statement.2456

Supporting this post, hopefully ANet sees this.

[HOPE] Guardian Main

in PvP

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I would love to see this in the game, it might well be the most enjoyable GW2 form of PvP… No NPCs, no siege, just good ol’ honest fighting!

in PvP

Posted by: Chaszyrr.6479

Chaszyrr.6479

+1. I can only imagine the hype GW2 would get at the announcement of a true GvG mode the way the community envisioned it at PAX.
Also, would pay cash for a gvg game mode with 0 trolls, hear that Anet? I WOULD PAY CASH!!! Many others would too.
If this doesn’t happen I will probably stop logging in altogether, the same way the GvG guilds are leaving and my friends are leaving.

in PvP

Posted by: FleurBlanc.1790

FleurBlanc.1790

+1

GvG is the main reason 75% of my friends play this game. We do PvE, WvW and PvP when the scene is quiet, and sometimes people quit, but whenever the GvG scene revives, everyone is right back in the game under new tags. I really doubt there will be any support for it, but for what it’s worth, it’s not hard to tell the amount of passion GvGers have even just by skimming this thread. A lot of the negativity I see concerning GvG has come from people who haven’t actually tried it, or from people who spectate and don’t know what they are looking at. I’ve made almost all my friends in this game either by either fighting alongside or against them in 15s and 20s, from windmill days up to the OS and shoddy eotm GvGs that we scrape together under cannon fire, and I can say from my few years playing that this isn’t something that needs to be reward driven, or have a leaderboard. Coming back from the EU trip with USA, I met a bunch of awesome people in guilds I will probably be fighting against in the months to come, yet we had a blast playing together and the connections we made will last a long time. In one of the more recent gvgrevivalhypetrains, I got to participate in a community run GvG tournament that ended up fizzling out at the end due to a lot of the problems mentioned in this thread, and despite our prize being a few packets of salt mailed to our driver, every single one of us in TM had a blast playing

Money wise, you don’t really have to look further than server transfers and guild uniforms or names to get an idea of how much money GvGers are willing to throw at their screens. One GvG guild is usually 30-50 players, which moves servers fairly often, paying for all members transfers in gems. Name change tickets for character name suffix/prefixes, character slots for matching races, and outfits or armor pieces (rucksack, anyone?), these are all things we’ve bought in bulk, in cash, without a second thought. In the last few guilds alone, my boyfriend and I have spent a few hundred dollars easily between the two of us on these things, for the sake of GvG, and our friends/drivers have dished out way more. Capes and other cosmetics would boost it even higher, but I don’t even think those are entirely necessary.

I really hope to see some kind of support for it, but at the same time I feel like i agree with others saying its been years, they won’t add it this late in the game. I hope this thread at least brings more people into understanding what GvG actually is, and hopefully Anet realizes the amount of support we want to keep our GvGs going isn’t some phenomenal 4th game mode they have to add in, but simply something to help us organize our guilds and fights better, without clutter, and without npcs, cannons, or trolls jumping in. Every competitive player I know, whether they started with PvP, dueling, roaming or raiding, seems to end up at GvG. Even the most unlikely of my friends, who were roamers fully against what they thought was “Zerg vs Zerg”, although it took them 2 years, have now joined the GvG scene or are driving new GvG guilds of their own in lower tiers. Its sad to see what feels like the endgame, die and revive every few months, and wonder each time it dies if or when it will be back, and if your old friends will be there.

Good luck to everyone working on this!

Micro Hipa [ TM ] [ Shot ] [ BMO ] [ DOLO ]
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: casantis.3106

casantis.3106

+1 to this idea.

Por la Razón o la Fuerza [CL]

in PvP

Posted by: UnknownRH.4592

UnknownRH.4592

I WOULD PAY CASH!!! Many others would too.

I confirm the cash part. I will probably pay to. I already pay like $20 – $35 per month just to support this game. I should probably stop that until they give us GvG and then I can let my pockets loose.

Centurion in Balkan legion (SFRJ)
Warrior and Elementalist
Far ShiverPeaks

in PvP

Posted by: Luna.9640

Luna.9640

Leaving this here to remind everyone some numbers shared by Colin himself in the past

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Camlani.8043

Camlani.8043

+1 I have never posted on these forums, this idea has inspired me. The ability to play with that many people in a more organized manner has the potential to achieve something that no other game is doing right now. The amount of people that it would attract to it would be countless. People would still play WvW when they aren’t having a match, plus the influx of players would increase modes outside of this. This is a wonderful idea, and the support for this type of play from Anet would be extremely profitable for everyone.

in PvP

Posted by: Natronix.9827

Natronix.9827

The general response in this thread seriously brings joy. Appreciate all the responses from even those that main other game modes or are against gvg type of play in this thread

I’m sure this will/has been read by ANet, we just got to keep being patient and continue showing support

Commander Nachonix

in PvP

Posted by: xRaiinx.6781

xRaiinx.6781

+1 Love this idea. They need something larger than pvp but smaller than wvw.

Dubvision
Gun Squad [GS] – Blackgate

in PvP

Posted by: superseven.1058

superseven.1058

+1, well written Fallen.

I’ve made countless friends over the years and spent an exorbitant amount of money on transfers, gear, etc. specifically for GvG-related play. I probably spend more time raiding/scrimming than I do any other game mode as I’m sure a lot of you do. I’d love to see Anet devote at least -some- resources to exploring the idea of a raid-scale competitive mode, whichever form it might take.

Let’s get the ball rolling.

Superseven
[Hymn] Tree Guardian
Yak’s Bend

in PvP

Posted by: Tur Rambar.6287

Tur Rambar.6287

+1
(just here to show support )

in PvP

Posted by: Joseph.7213

Joseph.7213

I’m just here so I don’t get fined.

I hate these official forums.

But +1.

Thanks for trying Fallen.

rip hopes and dreams for supported 3v3 arenas

in PvP

Posted by: MasterD.4790

MasterD.4790

Are we on to Cincinnati?

Best part about this thread is showing people that there are passionate helpful players that GvG as well and they are the majority, not just the super salty elitest ragers

Gamadorn the epitome of a hotjoin hero

in PvP

Posted by: TheSummerRain.8014

TheSummerRain.8014

+ 1

Plz Anet, start listening to your Community.

in PvP

Posted by: adRocZ.2019

adRocZ.2019

Honestly, I only come back to play when I have a chance to GvG or do some organized fighting. PvP isn’t enough for me. I feel like having a guild hall, and no organized guild fighting is a mistake. So here’s to hoping they listen like they say they do.

+1

in PvP

Posted by: Fudge.9527

Fudge.9527

+1, this is something that needs attention and I don’t even GvG.

I’m not sure ANet realizes just how many players it attracted at launch that were seeking competitive, large-scale PvP. These players wanted to fight, they wanted to hone their skills and make a name for their guild, and most importantly they wanted to WIN.

So what happens to these competitive players when they realize that the only way to “win” in WvW is through off-hour coverage and server-stacking? They either:
A) Leave WvW
B) Leave GW2 entirely
C) Stop worrying about PPT and focus on fights / GvGs.

Just offering a basic Battle Arena in the gemstore, that is instanced and allows for up to 20v20 with just copy + pasted map assets (Windmill or OS, whatever), would do wonders for the people in C. It would probably bring back some people from A and B as well, because there is still no good alternative to GW2 large-scale PvP. Let the players worry about leaderboards and setting up tournaments.

This isn’t about adding a 4th gamemode, it’s not about sPvP and esports, it’s about recognizing an issue and providing the tools to allow players to get more out of this game. Players are already willing to pay for it.

in PvP

Posted by: jaimy.4108

jaimy.4108

+1

Time to remove your head out of the ground and to start listening to your community!

VoTF

in PvP

Posted by: Azizi.9508

Azizi.9508

i completly support this.
i left the game a few weeks ago cause its the same in wvwv since 2+years, gvg as a official game mode would defnitly make me come back

Piken Square- [TA] Team Aggression

in PvP

Posted by: Body.7834

Body.7834

+1

We need it. You need it.

in PvP

Posted by: Maiden England.3491

Maiden England.3491

+1 hello friends

Street Regulator

in PvP

Posted by: kazarags.4270

kazarags.4270

+1
Full support to Fallen’s post.

in PvP

Posted by: Hyperballad.5693

Hyperballad.5693

+1 – Make it so!

~ Show Me ~

in PvP

Posted by: Aneu.1748

Aneu.1748

In arenanets eyes GvG is seen as the following:
Too much drama.
Not that competitive.
Difficult to monetize.

To create a specific WvW map for 20something guilds it would require resources that Anet simply will not allocate to a game-mode they feel will not be simple to monetize.

The most likely event to happen would be that GvG gets linked to sPvP and a large TDM is created – but lets be real here, its probably not going to.

Anet will not attempt to push the WvW game mode or even advertise it as a mode that is focused around guilds of 20-30 players, this would alienate large swathes of randoms, bigger guilds and smaller guilds. Its not something any company would realistically do since it would have repercussions on their income.

They created the coliseum as a way to appease the GvG scene but quite clearly that was a pointless exercise.

Anet are going to focus their development resource on areas of the game that are easy to monetize, attract larger amounts of players or return the most amounts of players.

I am on the same side of the fence as almost everyone here, I loved the GvG game mode, it was great fun while it lasted but sadly, as most of you should realize, especially those who have fought at the higher ends of the GvG spectrum, nothing has changed over the past few years for a reason. GvG is not a game mode that Arenanet wish to support, its not a game mode they wish to incorporate into what they consider the mainstream of their game. The higher ups have already made their distaste for the game mode quite clear.

I commend all of you who have participated in this thread, however it really is not going to change much and will fall on deaf ears, once again.

Regards,
Aneu

P.S – Lets hope that in the future I have to eat humble pie and something changes, I won’t hold my breath however.

Aneu | [VoTF]
http://www.votf.net

in PvP

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

Too much drama.
Not that competitive.
Difficult to monetize.

To create a specific WvW map for 20something guilds it would require resources that Anet simply will not allocate to a game-mode they feel will not be simple to monetize.

The most likely event to happen would be that GvG gets linked to sPvP and a large TDM is created – but lets be real here, its probably not going to.

Anet will not attempt to push the WvW game mode or even advertise it as a mode that is focused around guilds of 20-30 players, this would alienate large swathes of randoms, bigger guilds and smaller guilds. Its not something any company would realistically do since it would have repercussions on their income.

They created the coliseum as a way to appease the GvG scene but quite clearly that was a pointless exercise.

Anet are going to focus their development resource on areas of the game that are easy to monetize, attract larger amounts of players or return the most amounts of players.

I am on the same side of the fence as almost everyone here, I loved the GvG game mode, it was great fun while it lasted but sadly, as most of you should realize, especially those who have fought at the higher ends of the GvG spectrum, nothing has changed over the past few years for a reason. GvG is not a game mode that Arenanet wish to support, its not a game mode they wish to incorporate into what they consider the mainstream of their game. The higher ups have already made their distaste for the game mode quite clear.

I commend all of you who have participated in this thread, however it really is not going to change much and will fall on deaf ears, once again.

Regards,
Aneu

P.S – Lets hope that in the future I have to eat humble pie and something changes, I won’t hold my breath however.

I’m going to counter nearly everything you said.

1) There’s the same amount of drama regardless which game mode there is.
2) Gvg Is more competitive than WvW.
3) you said separate WvW map. We aren’t talking about WvW.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

in PvP

Posted by: Techst.8671

Techst.8671

1/2

I totally agree with Sabull and Tyldor.

The reason ’’gvg’s’’ started was because of the community from Warhammer that had raids of 24 and everyone were roaming with those numbers. (That took it from Dark Age of Camelot 8v8 roaming groups, because max size of a group was 8 and the ’’raids’’ on DAoC were 200man blobs, because no raid size)

In GW2 there is no cap or guidance for correct raid size. What we need is some kind of cap of a raid so guilds raid with only a set number (20). And still get even fights (you have to expect some trolls adding)when roaming. Some of the most fun fights I’ve had is when we face a guild with similar numbers while useing the map to your advantage.

The problem with ’’gvg’s/scrims’’ lately on eu. Is that you have to organize the fights with each other, to choose a place to fight and when. And that ends up with guilds don’t want to fight other guild. From a Team Aggressions point of view, some days, we could roam on a borderland with guilds scrimming each other. But no of the guild wanted to fight us and if we would engage, they would just teleport away. So it just ends up with us running around fighting nothing for some hour and then ppl logout.

And then you have those less experienced guilds, that already know they will lose if they will scrim any of the top guilds. And then probably there’s some members there who don’t see the point of losing. So they end up not trying at all. From other way, this is the reason why we scrim on ruins – whats the point of running around the map when you can just meet up with the single guild that can and wants to challenge you.

All this would be solved with Arenanet supporting some kind of raid size. So guilds would start to roam and fight all over the map with equal numbers. Those less experienced guilds can try to have the better/surprise engage with environment on their side. To beat the top guilds. And that would probably boost the moral in the lesser experienced guild a lot. With ’’gvg’s/scrims’’ that aren’t possible.

It would also make the wvw map more ’’alive’’.

Something else that would be nice from Arenanet would be something that promotes your guild for fighting. Like Warhammer for example, you have banners of the top guilds

in the capital cities of who have killed the most this week/month. GW2 need something that promote guild raids on wvw, to make guilds want to go out and raid in wvw and fight others. (Leaderboards arent the answer to this) It could be something discussed about what would be the best solution to make guilds ’proud’’ of what they did in wvw. Even if they arent a top guild/hardcore guild. (Could probably merge this for all solo roamers also so they feel they are getting something from it, most solo kills this week for example)

I’ve pretty much tried to help lesser experienced guilds. Since we started with ’’gvg’s’’ in gw2. And I think more ppl should think about what Tyldor said with his post. Having more top guilds helping those lower tiers guild to improve. So the average skill of all guilds increase. It will in the end get more guilds that compete to be ‘’the best guild spot’’. Also the better average guilds are the less they have to resort to blobbing (or rage quit) against pugblobs.

But giving guilds the exact builds you are using in a top guild won’t help them much as it comes down to the skill use the most. You have to get an understanding why and how you are using that build. When can I add more zerker pieces to my build? When should I go more tanky? If you just use a build because the top guilds are using it. But you don’t understand why exactly you’re using X trait or why you are using those stats on your armor. You wont be able to improve with your build.

But when you got an understanding of how the build works you and you have other guildies that understand their builds, that’s when you can start to improve and optimize your gameplay together. And if you can’t figure something out something then just ask. Like Sabull said. It can be just anything. ‘’What weapon do I engage with’’ ‘’How do you stealth blast your whole raid’’ ‘’Why do ppl rather use X trait rather than Y’’ nothing is a stupid question.

Schutt (Schett) The Shadows [TA]
Team Aggression
Retired Red Guard

in PvP

Posted by: Techst.8671

Techst.8671

2/2

This can’t be solved with the community only. Watch all new game released. There is a lot of guilds who start to play a game and expect good large scale fights (15-25 vs 15-25). That’s what a lot of guilds are looking for in a game. And when they see its bad combat/support of it, they stop playing the game and if more and more guilds stop then in the end there’s nothing to fight.

So if Arenanet would find the support of those large scale fights so they are like the players want it to be and market about it for HoT. I’m pretty sure a lot of guilds would come back and probably stay (if support is good, you already have the amazing combat). You will be amazed when you notice how many players there is that is looking for just that in new games. And if you can keep those you will make a lot of profit from it.

Schutt (Schett) The Shadows [TA]
Team Aggression
Retired Red Guard

in PvP

Posted by: Aneu.1748

Aneu.1748

Too much drama.
Not that competitive.
Difficult to monetize.

Regards,
Aneu

I’m going to counter nearly everything you said.

1) There’s the same amount of drama regardless which game mode there is.
2) Gvg Is more competitive than WvW.
3) you said separate WvW map. We aren’t talking about WvW.

You don’t seem to understand that I’m not giving my opinion. I’m saying how Arenanet see it. The amount of drama that has been around the GvG game mode has been quite large for Anet, banning discussions on GvGs a while back and also the GvG guilds taking quite a vocal position in the WvW forums has lead them to that conclusion.

GvG is for sure more competitive than WvW but the player count of those playing GvG and WvW are incredibly different, hence the semi-support for WvW and the lack of for GvG.

If GvG was to be supported then it would require some form of segregation to make it competitive. Whether in an sPvP environment or its own WvW map.

I agree by and large with almost all the people supporting this – but the sad fact of the matter is that Arenanet does not agree with it and they are the ones who make the decisions.

Aneu | [VoTF]
http://www.votf.net

in PvP

Posted by: The BFG.4160

The BFG.4160

You know, I haven’t signed into these forums in YEARS because competitive large scale WvW is all I give two kittens about in Gw2, and as everyone else in the scene and working at ANET knows- ANET feels the exact opposite.

This thread is full of well thought out heartfelt responses with seriously good ideas that were not developed in a day, but stirred and simmered in the minds of the players that know/love it [competitive large scale wvw] the most. I won’t regurgitate them but there is a wealth of incredibly valid points within this post.

I logged on to try and add to the huge amounts of support I’ve seen and well- guess I’m trying to add myself in as a statistic IN FAVOR.

Such an implementation is naught but a fanciful dream after being let down for years relative to some (any?) kind of support towards this idea, but obviously I haven’t wholy given up- same as the other thousands of players that enjoy this game “mode”

I look to this post like I look to the stars and dream

Mandalore – Elementalist
Fort Aspenhood – [HOPE]

in PvP

Posted by: Endur.1378

Endur.1378

First of all: + 1 bazillion and very nice and constructive thread here

Too much drama.
Not that competitive.
Difficult to monetize.

Regards,
Aneu

Just for the “specific WvW Map”-part… yknow, imho that is, what might in soccer be called champions league – but at least for me and some mates I can say: All we want is at least some sort of league. (I’m from germany, but I think you’ll get my point…. :-) ) There is no urgent need to do this at start. To create some fancy new maps. To build up new artwork. to create new moves, dunno… all this “little things” that bother a softwaredeveloper (and such am I), but are forgotten by most of the “normal folks” out there.

I know the starter of this thread said it should be more – and it definitely should – but imho most of the people here just don’t want to be ignored anymore. It’s ok for us not to get everything at a time. But it’s just simply not ok to be that completely ignored, having a big community as such.

• The combat balancing is just fine, sortof (Better than any other game, though).
  • The Arena is out there as a map (OS – because why the hell not?).
  • The spectator-system is out there (pvp-mode).

When these three systems are sw-engineered properly (not mentioning all the underlying aspects like game-engine and so on), from a technical point of view it should imho work out in a fair amount of time with not that much effort to create a simple tdm-mode.
May be it’s just bad sw-design which prevents you from doing this. Would be very sad, though. But i’ve seen larger companies doing veeerry bad things out there. But well, back to topic:

So yes, there definitely is some need for a proper ladder-system and some “rules” – but why not just ask the community, as it’s done in every other aspect of the game. And – please correct me if I’m wrong – but having developed the one or other game myself (small ones, though) as far as I can say – from a pure technical point of view – it isn’t that hard to create a highscore in some sort of manner. Even not later on.

But well, all I truly wanted to say is: Thanks to the threadstarter. And please a-net, stop ignoring us. All of us.

kthxbye

(edited by Endur.1378)

in PvP

Posted by: Warmaster Gibbon.4765

Warmaster Gibbon.4765

+1 my guild has been in WvW since we accidentally walked through those portals in Lions Arch and we have never looked back. We always found ourselves outnumbered and we don’t really care to play with the rallybots on our server unless they gear up and hop in our teamspeak. We have only recently been involved in the GvG scene in the Bronze Tiers and are absolutely having a blast win or lose. We would love to opportunity to face guilds in higher tiers without having to dodge Overgrowth/Frostreach/Whatever blobs and having our guild being carried by cannon fire. To all of you in the GvG scene and on the forums, I love you all.

Commander, Guild Leader of [Jynx]
Warrior – Borlis Pass

in PvP

Posted by: Fallen.4317

Fallen.4317

It seems to me the community has several differing opinions on what needs to be done.

As a note to everyone, I have been inviting prominent guild leaders that have participated in, and represent, many of the guilds that are interested in “raid scale” PvP modes to become part of a team that will be structuring our community CDI and proposal to ArenaNet. If you are a guild leader, and/or represent a group of players interested in this scale of gameplay (past or present players), please contact me (these forums, in-game mail, or on gw2wvw forums) and I will happily invite you to the team. The reason I’m doing this team idea is to allow a bit more organization to what we’re trying to do as a community.

Now, we have several options as we move into the community CDI phase of our proposal to ArenaNet. While I may be jumping the gun asking these questions, I’d like to get some ideas brainstormed by the general community here to give us a sense of direction in our preliminary meetings.

It seems to me that there are several schools of thought on the matter;

1) Introduce support to our unofficial “GvG” – TDM, no leaderboards or fancy stuff, just give more support to the community as we are. Keeping it unofficial, but perhaps with an instanced arena built into guild halls or something.

2) Introduce a “raid scale” PvP mode or arena, much similar to tPvP and whatnot, with game modes, maps, and rosters between 12 and 20 players. This option is most similar to GW1 style GvG.

3) Introduce more integration of the current “GvG” scene into WvW. Perhaps call them “guild battles”, or something of the like. Allow them to have influence on server capabilities, rewards and statistics shown, having instanced guild fights over some sort of objectives which relate to the current Mist War (WvW).

Note that ArenaNet, being a business, will only be interested in ideas that will be able to be monetized and will be cost effective. This does not demonize them, they didn’t create Guild Wars 2 just for funsies. Keep this in mind during our productive discussion.

Please be vocal and discuss further!

Syndictive [Syn] #1 GvG Guild NA pre- Heart of Thorns
[Syn] Leader/Driver – Retired.

(edited by Fallen.4317)

in PvP

Posted by: Akethon.5108

Akethon.5108

I loved GvG on GW but i think the mode needs to grow. you all thinking small..

i think the best for guilds is the returning of alliances and turn the WvW the battlefield for Guilds..

For instance if a guild/alliance keep a tower, keep or castle for like 1 or more days.. Anet could multiply the points of each building you own by the time you keep it..

i think it would be interesting to get double points after the fist day.. that will make the people recognize witch guild is holding what.. and that can even create bigger fights if there is anything for more the 1 day..

just an idea

in PvP

Posted by: KcB.6890

KcB.6890

Following what Endur said, I’d say this is the list of what could be done in order of simplest to ideal dreamworld.

1) Make the OS work similar to EOTM allowing guilds to fight cross tier.

2) Implement an area similar to the OS arena that can be privately accessed and controlled to avoid outside interference during GvGs. Perhaps tied into the guild housing system.

3) Tweak WvW to better support multiple small scale groups rather than pug monoblobs. Encourage GvG style fighting on the WvW maps.

4) Implement an entire GvG game mode with 15-20 players with varied modes, maps, and rules.

in PvP

Posted by: KcB.6890

KcB.6890

Note that ArenaNet, being a business, will only be interested in ideas that will be able to be monetized and will be cost effective. This does not demonize them, they didn’t create Guild Wars 2 just for funsies. Keep this in mind during our productive discussion.

I’m kind of confused at what people mean by able to be monetized. How are PvE, sPvP, or WvW monetized individually? The whole game is monetized by sales of the game and by gemshop purchases that are mostly cosmetics that work equally in PvE, sPvP, or WvW. Arena.net needs to make a game that people want to play in order to monetize it. Simple as that.

in PvP

Posted by: Jinn.7948

Jinn.7948

I’m kind of confused at what people mean by able to be monetized. How are PvE, sPvP, or WvW monetized individually? The whole game is monetized by sales of the game and by gemshop purchases that are mostly cosmetics that work equally in PvE, sPvP, or WvW. Arena.net needs to make a game that people want to play in order to monetize it. Simple as that.

PvE is now monetized through living story (not the case at launch). It’s also probably the most populated game mode.
PvP is monetized through custom arenas.
WvW is monetized through server transfers.

Everything else is cosmetic. And of course everything could be paid for in gold.

But you’re right Anet needs to develop something that a lot of people will play for them to think it’s worth developing. Otherwise, they need to put in additional micro transactions to make up for the losses.

While the fights/gvg community is fairly large, is it large enough for anet to just be willing to make a mode for? Or will there have to be some compromise where we as players need to fund it continuously.

in PvP

Fallen.4317

I guess the biggest thing I meant by that is cost/benefit ratio. Consider the size of our player community, and the potential size of the player community versus the amount of time and effort they are willing to put into a game mode or support system. Our community proposal will need to be something that is feasible from a business standpoint.

in PvP

Posted by: Jinn.7948

Jinn.7948

Fallen, are players even allowed to make a thread in the CDI forums? Or are you planning on creating your CDI thread somewhere else?

in PvP

Fallen.4317

I am planning on making our own CDI.

If ArenaNet is unwilling to let us host it here, we will host it on the WvW forums. Vyx has already offered to make a subforum and give moderator powers to aid the process.

in PvP

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

I actually disagree. The new stronghold map that is going to be integrated into regular 5v5 sPvP is completely satisfactory, has no bugs or innate flaws in its game mode, and it will definitely draw a host of new players into the game to pvp.

Lol. Sarcasm is fun.

Anet’s not going to do anything about this. For them, PvP is zergs or 5v5. Nothing else matters. The best way to show them how wrong they are is not to buy the expansion and stop playing their game. You buy an expansion for new content that you will actually want to play. This will not come from HotS, so don’t bother with it. Simple as that.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: superseven.1058

superseven.1058

I actually disagree. The new stronghold map that is going to be integrated into regular 5v5 sPvP is completely satisfactory, has no bugs or innate flaws in its game mode, and it will definitely draw a host of new players into the game to pvp.

Lol. Sarcasm is fun.

Anet’s not going to do anything about this. For them, PvP is zergs or 5v5. Nothing else matters. The best way to show them how wrong they are is not to buy the expansion and stop playing their game. You buy an expansion for new content that you will actually want to play. This will not come from HotS, so don’t bother with it. Simple as that.

You must be fun at parties.

On a more positive note, this is probably the most solid effort from ‘us’ since launch. If the outpouring of support is any indication, we may at least have an opportunity to open some sort of dialogue with Anet on the topic.

Keep spreading the word!

Superseven
[Hymn] Tree Guardian
Yak’s Bend

(edited by superseven.1058)

in PvP

Posted by: benjenx.6427

benjenx.6427

+1 to all things in this post. Even the things that are contradictory. Keep the discussion going.

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

http://postimg.org/image/z4husdh3j/full/

This is an unedited screenshot of a fight between players from NA servers and EU servers in our “made up game mode” we call GvG here in GW2.

While we may all agree that simple team deathmatch 20v20 in a flat surface can be bland and is hardly a game mode, I think that this picture shows you the real interest in large scale PvP. Keep in mind, this is a completely and totally unofficial game-mode, with very little publicity or advertisement. The viewers on this are kitten near what ESL got, with all the publicity and whatnot you guys had on that. Imagine if you had hyped this.

I just ask that you folks at ArenaNet reconsider what your true focus is as far as what the PvP in this game entails. I love PvP, I’m rank 80, play it a lot. I loved large scale WvW fighting as well.

But the lack of a true player versus player mode with a larger scale basis that focuses on the true mechanics of the game’s combat system is a huge business blunder and something I definitely believe could benefit your company.

I think we all understand that WvW is a bit more casual of a game mode – there is no true rewards or incentives to play. This is totally fine, but ANET, you’re missing a massive business opportunity sitting right under your nose by overlooking the community of players that are interested in larger scale COMPETITIVE PvP. You’re never going to compete with League of Legends with Stronghold. But you’re overlooking an entire market because it seems to me, from the outside, that from a business standpoint you’re trying to get a slice of the MOBA pie when you could have a whole pie all to yourself.

Your game has an amazing combat system and an amazing capability to have very intense, teamwork-oriented fights at a larger scale. To be completely honest, I legitimately don’t think I’ve ever seen a game come close to the ability that you have currently to create a PvP mode to support a mid-scale (10-20 vs. 10-20) competitive PvP scene with the success I believe you would have.

I am not asking for GvG. I am asking for you to consider the possibility of having “raid size” COMPETITIVE player versus player, as I believe there is an entire untapped market out there that you would be able to benefit from without having to compete with games like SMITE, League, or DotA.

Just food for thought.

Since DAY 1 I’ve been asking for GvG and many others.
It would make of Guild Wars 2 a way bigger success than it already is: They could make tons of money with it, on top of doing what people expected after Guild Wars 1.

If they do not do it it’s because there is a lack of vision, a failure to seize the right opportunity, and just generally the management seems stuck in a long-term-tunnel-vision trap.

There is just no way 5v5 pvp can ever compete with a large scale GvG mode, which is why most of us would rather spend our time playing a custom TDM mode with rules agreed by the community and in the most boring arena ever than play pvp.

The failure to understand the real strength and potential of their own combat mechanics and implementing that in a game mode that fully utilize it will have been the biggest mistake Anet did with this game.

Hopefully the new WvW map will have some landmass where we can organize better and more varied gvgs.

in PvP

Posted by: Xerox.6851

Xerox.6851

To start with, +1.

So I have a few ideas that I would like to introduce or re-introduce in regards to this topic to continue talks:

Currently, gvgs (or gPVP or rPVP or w/e) do not receive enough publicity. New players are not being introduced to gvgs and do not know what they are. Up until I moved to T2 and joined Syn I had never heard of gvgs and I’m sure anyone that does not visit the forums often probably hasn’t heard of them either. If we really want to ensure that this game mode continues, there will need to be some kind of a q system. In that same way, rank can be earned which will separate new guilds from established guilds so the fights will not be one-sided. This is separate from the idea of a tournament or esport as the rating would be more of a win go up/lose go down style.

I would also second the idea of creating a separate ranked and unranked/solo q style. This will allow average/more-casual players to experience this game mode in a more relaxed way and act as an introduction to gvgs.

_
As for how to q for a gvg (or how to q 10-20 people at once), my idea is that a guild officer could open a tab in his guilds page where he could select a team from his guild roster to q. If others wanted to watch the round then they could manually join the map (like in regular pvp) and spectate or other guild members could move that the “gvg” tab and right click a member that is in a match and select spectate (same effect but less work then manually looking through the maps). It would also make sense that the system would only allow for teams divisible by 5.

_
With regards to monetizing gvgs, guild (or personal) gvg maps could be purchasable. As gvg maps would allow for more players (up to 3 times? 20m in current pvp maps to 50m in gvgs) then Anet could charge 3 times what current pvp maps cost. Even if they cost more than that there are plenty of people willing to pay for them. And as pvp maps have timers, these gvg maps would need to have time stocked also, creating another consistent money flow for Anet.

_
Obviously I have taken a pretty heavy influence from the current PvP style but we need to remember that GvGs are just a large scale pvp mode. As far as maps go, I wouldn’t care if the map was just a carbon copy of OS or even if it was a large hole in the ground with walls surrounding it.

Syndictive [Syn]
Point Blank [Shot]

in PvP

Posted by: xuriv.6193

xuriv.6193

+1 nice to see so much involvement, passion and ideas.

in PvP

Posted by: caloase.5741

caloase.5741

+1 Support, GvGing, and fight guilds is the only reason i play this game, would of moved elsewhere long ago if it wasn’t so bloody fun. Anet you have to consider this please.

INC→ oT → Bae Kiwi!

in PvP

Posted by: DobMelody.7913

DobMelody.7913

+1, supporting this post.

in PvP

Posted by: Morabi.4568

Morabi.4568

+1 From me.

I’m sure some sort of reimbursement could be possible for spending development hours on this project. I, for one, would happily buy into a gvg tournament via gems or something of the like. let’s say 100 gems per person per team? That’s 4000 gems per 20v20 gvg and 3000 gems per 15v15. How much does it cost each person? A mere 100 gems. Winner takes back 150% of their invested gems, leaving Anet with 25% cut on every official GvG played on their map. That is a 1000 (For 20v20) gem cut on every official gvg that takes place. All that is left is a small amount of Anet oversight for an official ranking board. Not bad…

While this is a rather crude business model, it could very well prove worth the effort. As long as the game receives updates to its combat and proper balance patches (Which happen regardless) there is nothing keeping players, like the many who have voiced their approval here, from buying into the game mode.

For big tournaments, you could even have a five dollar buy-in. In a game mode this big that is $100 for a whole 20v20 roster. At the end, a bit is refunded to the winner via extra gems / cool weapon or armor skins or even a big gold trophy in the PvP lobby like in GW1

P.S. Let’s keep the good ideas coming ladies and gents, and keep it constructive.

Castiel
Sea of Sorrows – [EP]
It’s time to end this with Tempestoso.

(edited by Morabi.4568)

in PvP

Posted by: Mikhel.7543

Mikhel.7543

Ah, this is nostalgic, have a +1 from me.
Don’t get your hopes up though.

Scnd / RG / aX – Guardian.
Retired.

in PvP

Posted by: PowerBottom.5796

PowerBottom.5796

okay, now ppl not only want 2v2 and 3v3 Arena, but also 10v10 and 20v20? GW1 never had an arena-mode, because it’s a bland and uninteresting and strategically boring game-mode, whether it’s in a 2v2 or 20v20…. -.-°

I sincerely hope ANet won’t waste it’s time by introducing a game-mode for WoW-fanboys.

And if you want large-scale battles, go WvWvW, do you really think they’ll make a 20v20 Arena for PvP? This would mean:

1) potentially splitting up playerbase for structured PvP even more. Although I doubt anyone would play it for anything else than a small distraction.
2) Ridiculous waiting-times in match-making or even worse match-making in terms of actually matching up teams of equal skill.
3) There would be almost no competetive Teams and eSport possibilities for it, simply because of logistics: It’s hard enough to coordinate schedules for 5 players to consistantly play together, but for 20?
4) Why would any sponsor pay for a 20-man team anything more than for a 5-man team when there is actually almost no more exposure for their brand?

and yes, if they plan on making an entirely new game-mode etc. I think the aspect of it potentially being watched and heavily played, like an eSport, should definitely be considered and it just makes no sense for what you want.