Force chat during matches

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

I feel pretty strongly about this, especially with (potentially) only having non-premade queue: players should not be able to turn off team chat during matches. I understand why people do it, and I don’t respect the reasoning at all. Yes, you’re playing with a Pug, no, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a team game and the best team will win. People that turn it off are a combination of solo heroes (they’re alone for a reason) and jaded players who are tired of being insulted, either via whisper, map chat, or team chat.

I’ve played team sports irl and there’s trash talk and dirty play there too, and in irl it happens right to your face. I hate it and you can see from my previous post that I think it should be punished in progressively increasing steps; that being said, if you’re so emotionally fragile that you’d rather cost your team the game rather than endure trash talk, you don’t deserve to play. Communicating with your team is part of winning sPvP in Ruby and higher.

in PvP

Posted by: Prince Vingador.8067

Prince Vingador.8067

Im sorry to tell u but… no 1 needs comunication, every one is a pro here.

Ok now on a more serious note, i have seen a lot , i mean really a lot of bad players , and if by any chance you even say or advise them, the answer is all the time the same.
They dont care , and they know better, then they insult u on top of that.
I mean really , there isnt any point in trying to comunicate or trying to help, u might draw on the map trying to explain the player to move , but they just afk at close doing nothing and ignore the drawing.
I agree yes some bad language is to be expected, about turning chat …well yes sometimes its a must, cause there is all the time some kids wishing u and your family a lot of crap.
Pvp become very toxic and nothing can be done apart from improving macth making, so we can get better games and improve, cause atm i have games wining 500-50 and 500-30 , and nothing positive comes from such games.

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Im sorry to tell u but… no 1 needs comunication, every one is a pro here.

Oh yah I can believe it.

Ok now on a more serious note, i have seen a lot , i mean really a lot of bad players , and if by any chance you even say or advise them, the answer is all the time the same.

I’ve had some positive experiences with pretty meh players responding when I say something like “They’ve got mid locked down, play sides.” It’s possible the rest of the Pug magically figured it out on their own, but I’m sure that at times they were listening/reading, which is why they went sides. I think something to keep in mind is that there are still cooperative and decent people playing sPvP, it just might be hard to realize sometimes it because they’re not the ones spamming HotM map chat talking about their naturally high IQ. What I mean by jaded people are those who are probably nice and love the game but shut out everyone else because they don’t want to listen. And note that I’m only advocating forcing team chat in matches, not whisper or map chat. At least force them to give the team a chance, they can always avert their eyes if they really don’t want to read.

(edited by Huskyboy.1053)

in PvP

Posted by: Madman.6912

Madman.6912

I feel pretty strongly about this, especially with (potentially) only having non-premade queue: players should not be able to turn off team chat during matches. I understand why people do it, and I don’t respect the reasoning at all. Yes, you’re playing with a Pug, no, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s a team game and the best team will win. People that turn it off are a combination of solo heroes (they’re alone for a reason) and jaded players who are tired of being insulted, either via whisper, map chat, or team chat.

I’ve played team sports irl and there’s trash talk and dirty play there too, and in irl it happens right to your face. I hate it and you can see from my previous post that I think it should be punished in progressively increasing steps; that being said, if you’re so emotionally fragile that you’d rather cost your team the game rather than endure trash talk, you don’t deserve to play. Communicating with your team is part of winning sPvP in Ruby and higher.

While I agree with the general sentiment, your reasoning if flawed on multiple levels, just to provide the most obvious one, only really ignorant people think that everyone speaks their language….

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

While I agree with the general sentiment, your reasoning if flawed on multiple levels, just to provide the most obvious one, only really ignorant people think that everyone speaks their language….

You’re right about that. On the other hand, that’s not really a “flaw” in my idea since it doesn’t in any way impact their playing experience. If they can’t read it then they won’t read it, big deal. No negative impact that I can see.

in PvP

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

So, essentially, you want me to endure being insulted, belittled, and cussed at while I’m attempting to help the team out? Sorry to tell you, but I play video games to escape reality. If I’m being insulted in a video game, you’d best believe I’m going to afk and cost you the game rather than sit there and take belittlement.

Plus, it shows a real lack of maturity when you resort to name-calling and insults… especially in a game.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

So, essentially, you want me to endure being insulted, belittled, and cussed at while I’m attempting to help the team out? Sorry to tell you, but I play video games to escape reality. If I’m being insulted in a video game, you’d best believe I’m going to afk and cost you the game rather than sit there and take belittlement.

Plus, it shows a real lack of maturity when you resort to name-calling and insults… especially in a game.

Alright, let me break it down for you: you are already aware that upon entering a Conquest match, you will be put on a team, therefore making it a team game. By definition that means that your success is tied to the team’s success. Making choices that are to the detriment of the team are what really shows a “lack of maturity.” If you don’t like the team aspect of Conquest then don’t play it. A mature person realizes that you can’t both do your best in the game and avoid insults, so you have 3 choices:

1. Endure the occasional insult.
  2. Ignore it and all communication with your team.
  3. Not play the game.

You’re picking the middle, selfish option of screwing over your team. If you’re going to play a team game and intentionally make choices that cost them the game, don’t play the game.

in PvP

Galtrix.7369

Alright, let me break it down for you: you are already aware that upon entering a Conquest match, you will be put on a team, therefore making it a team game. By definition that means that your success is tied to the team’s success. Making choices that are to the detriment of the team are what really shows a “lack of maturity.” If you don’t like the team aspect of Conquest then don’t play it. A mature person realizes that you can’t both do your best in the game and avoid insults, so you have 3 choices:

3. Not play the game.

You’re picking the middle, selfish option of screwing over your team. If you’re going to play a team game and intentionally make choices that cost them the game, don’t play the game.

A game is supposed to be fun. I play basketball because I enjoy it. However, when I’m called a noob every couple of seconds, I will throw the ball at whoever insults me and walk straight off the court.

You’re literally blaming the victim for trying to get away from the perpetrator. No sane teammate would blame the victim for going afk because someone was screaming insults at him.

in PvP

Posted by: Zintrothen.1056

Zintrothen.1056

jaded players who are tired of being insulted, either via whisper, map chat, or team chat.

That’s actually a better reason that you think. The community is unbelievable now. And the more players insult other players, the more players will turn off chat. Obviously turning off chat doesn’t solve the issue, but when you’re being insulted by some kitten with no patience, then of course they’re going to play alone. The solution isn’t to force team chat on anyone. It’s to make harsher punishments for those who insult. Fewer toxic players will lead to more players using team chat which leads to higher quality soloQ games. Forced team chat just leads to people leaving the game because now they have no escape from toxicity.

People don’t even get banned for AFKing. The justice system in this game is atrocious.

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

You’re literally blaming the victim for trying to get away from the perpetrator. No sane teammate would blame the victim for going afk because someone was screaming insults at him.

I’m not blaming you for being insulted, it’s not “your fault” unless you’re intentionally playing badly. But adults own how they react to unpleasant situations, and your reaction is to put the burden of your problems on others.

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

jaded players who are tired of being insulted, either via whisper, map chat, or team chat.

That’s actually a better reason that you think. The community is unbelievable now. And the more players insult other players, the more players will turn off chat. Obviously turning off chat doesn’t solve the issue, but when you’re being insulted by some kitten with no patience, then of course they’re going to play alone. The solution isn’t to force team chat on anyone. It’s to make harsher punishments for those who insult. Fewer toxic players will lead to more players using team chat which leads to higher quality soloQ games. Forced team chat just leads to people leaving the game because now they have no escape from toxicity.

People don’t even get banned for AFKing. The justice system in this game is atrocious.

You’re totally right that the justice system is terrible. Refer to the thread I posted if you want to contribute to that discussion, it was pretty active. This is an important part of the problem, forcing chat does nothing but increase exposure to that toxicity. It does need to be taken care of, and the only thing we can do is keep petitioning Anet to take it seriously, as I already have/am doing

However, I still am not about to let go of the issue of people just avoiding the chat altogether; you just incidentally named the way some people approach toxicity by calling it “playing alone.” This mindset is empirically wrong, you never play alone, you’re always with 4 other people. Guaranteed. And chat blockers ruin 4 other people’s fun by screwing up team coordination in a way that’s easily avoidable. I do not in any way think that “people are mean to me, therefore I can be (indirectly) mean to 4 others” is an appropriate attitude, and it needs to be called out. Excusing chat blockers is just endorsing a more indirect form of kittenbaggery.

in PvP

Posted by: kin korn karn.9023

kin korn karn.9023

I’m not blaming you for being insulted, it’s not “your fault” unless you’re intentionally playing badly. But adults own how they react to unpleasant situations, and your reaction is to put the burden of your problems on others.

Yup.

If you play only to relax and can’t endure the occasional insult, a competitive game mode is not for you. I suggest you spend your time roleplaying in Divinity’s Reach.

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

So funny.

Nothing good ever came from chatting during a match except for opening split discussion prior to the game’s start.

A good player doesn’t waste their time reading chat. They’d already be doing what they’re supposed to be doing which means their eyes are on enemy/friendly movement.

A smart player wouldn’t think he’s going to suddenly fix an inexperienced player’s inexperience.

Chat is for venting and pretending to know something. You might as well be camping home the entire game if you’re going to start typing because you’ll be just as useless.

The game would probably be better off disabling it entirely once the match starts.

in PvP

Posted by: mattemahticker.6895

mattemahticker.6895

I can only agree with SneakyTouchy, and one of the most annoying things in sPvP is, if somebody tries to give you orders, that clearly has no clue.
worst thing that happened to me was somebody pinging me wildly and drawing arrows as to “attack that player on that point” oblivious to the fact that i was out of cds and low on life. After I decided to not feed the opponent 5 points insults were imminent.
Do you really wonder, why I barely read team chat?
I know what I’m doing and of course I want to win.
I’m not a really good player, when it comes to mechanics, but it is a game and nobody puts one player above the others in a team, but too many players think their superior understanding puts them above their teammates – hence the tone of their messages.
(“He did something I did not expect? He must be kittened!”)
I refuse to be bossed around by kids in my free time and most people that are active in chat are just kids or at least behaving like it.
In essence I like to communicate before the match started or afterwards, but while it’s going… why bother?

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Suddenly? No. But you can at least talk to your team, I do and sometimes it helps. Chat isn’t “for venting” but obviously some use it for that. Individuals sometimes get tunnel vision during a node fight, reading someone else’s suggestions about where to go can help while they’re respawning. And during a match you can always type after:

1. Winning a node fight
  2. Dying

Both are reasonable options, I’m glad I had the opportunity to help you realize that. Bless up.

in PvP

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

To be fair, there are some grey areas that proves helpful.
-Incommings
-enemies’ number, location and headding (that are not displayed on the map).
-Requesting backup/denying backup.
-Being clear on who will recap a certain point.
-clearance to rush lord
-caps that are too hot to take

Other than that, I find trash talk and/or long-winded chats complacent and often dentrimental during a match.

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

(edited by cyberzombie.7348)

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

I can only agree with SneakyTouchy, and one of the most annoying things in sPvP is, if somebody tries to give you orders, that clearly has no clue.
worst thing that happened to me was somebody pinging me wildly and drawing arrows as to “attack that player on that point” oblivious to the fact that i was out of cds and low on life. After I decided to not feed the opponent 5 points insults were imminent.
I’m not a really good player, when it comes to mechanics, but it is a game and nobody puts one player above the others in a team, but too many players think their superior understanding puts them above their teammates – hence the tone of their messages.

That’s pretty reasonable-sounding, although from your own admission you’re not at the point where you have nothing to learn from others. So you’d probably benefit from reading team chat at times, other times yeah it’s idiots, just like irl. Nobody in this thread has ever claimed otherwise. Point is that taking a condescending attitude into the game, and especially doing something extreme like turning off team chat or all chat, just hurts your team. That’s not cool. If you don’t want to play with a team, don’t play a team game. Just ask people in the lobby to duel you if you want 1v1s, I do it all the time and someone will always take you up on the offer.

in PvP

Posted by: kin korn karn.9023

kin korn karn.9023

To be fair, there are some grey areas that proves helpful.
-Incommings
-enemies’ number, location and headding (that are not displayed on the map).
-Requesting backup/denying backup.
-Being clear on who will recap a certain point.
-clearance to rush lord
-caps that are too hot to take

Other than that, I find trash talk and/or long-winded chats complacent and often dentrimental during a match.

Exactly. You don’t have to appoint yourself the leader. Just communicate about the vital stuff. That wins matches. If you think you’re too good for that, or that pros don’t communicate, you’re an idiot.

in PvP

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

Its my problem with PvP exactly. I always try to communicate with my team, but I wanna tell you, I have had 23 matches this week:
In each of these matches I greet both parties, and try to have a strategy-talk
In NONE of the 23 matches have I ever heard a single reply from ANYONE.

Worse yet, when I see a guardian and ask him to go close while rest of us go mid. All 5 of us run mid or I run mid while all other 4 go close. And they don’t realize along the way they’re all going close, all 4 go the close, and stay there until it’s captured. So I tell them: only 1 person needs to capture. But considering they have their chat disabled, they don’t notice me saying that, or anything for that matter.

So my question is, how am I supposed to take pvp seriously if its going to be anarchy anyway?

in PvP

Posted by: Solstace.2514

Solstace.2514

So funny.

Nothing good ever came from chatting during a match except for opening split discussion prior to the game’s start.

A good player doesn’t waste their time reading chat. They’d already be doing what they’re supposed to be doing which means their eyes are on enemy/friendly movement.

A smart player wouldn’t think he’s going to suddenly fix an inexperienced player’s inexperience.

Chat is for venting and pretending to know something. You might as well be camping home the entire game if you’re going to start typing because you’ll be just as useless.

The game would probably be better off disabling it entirely once the match starts.

I can’t agree with that. The top ESL teams all use comms. Communication is always a plus in any team game. All things being equal, if one team is coordinated and communicating, they’ll have a leg up on he opposition.

Certainly not all chat in games is helpful, but in general it’s a positive. Don’t know about forcing people to have chat though.

in PvP

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

I run with chat on, but sorry OP but will have to disagree on forcing people to do so.

There are too many variables out there. Since you can’t standardize people’s ability to send or reply to chat, nor control the use or intent of chat I don’t think this is a good idea. Not everyone finds the same value in chat as well. Even if someone is thick skinned chat may be more of a distraction at times since people may feel the need to reply to biased comments or correct incorrect assumptions or information. People are rarely succinct in their texting as well, and between messaging and rotating, would prefer to see more people spending time rotating. Nothing worse then when you get someone standing around in an uncontested area texting while their team is fighting outnumbered else where. For too many players its a time waster than saver.

A poll we will never see that would be interesting is how often people see chat being used as a positive tool in game versus as someone’s rant fest. Yes, you can block, but reactions to actions are in either case time that could have been spent on the real goal of winning.

Nothing wrong with encouraging people to communicate, best thing you can do is try to encourage it and practice good habits to prompt people to do the same but we are not at the point where I can say forcing it is a good idea. Too many things that need addressing from available tools to abuse. I admit I more concerned with how little people use the mini-map and the team windows to get a read on what’s going on versus team chat. That’s without even mentioning how quickly chat information is outdated in a fight where people are rotating as they should. There are additional reasons as well but these alone are enough that I think I would favor forcing team chat off before I could say force it on, so leave it as something each player can choose to use for now.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

I run with chat on, but sorry OP but will have to disagree on forcing people to do so.

Perfectly reasonable, I envisioned this change along with others, like legit punishments for toxicity. They should go hand-in-hand, chat blocking isn’t the only issue here. But chat is usually useful AND annoying in the same matches, rather than one or the other as some implied. Usually there will be some insults like calling teammates idiots, as well as constructive things like “2 inc far” in the same match. Cyberzombie did a good job summing up the useful things that can be communicated through chat. Nobody is forcing people to look, if they really don’t want to see it then they can just avert their eyes.

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

What i would love is an integrated speech com. You can activate it with a button and it will be available for the team till the map is closed. The listen part should be open per default but can be turned off in the options.

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

What i would love is an integrated speech com. You can activate it with a button and it will be available for the team till the map is closed. The listen part should be open per default but can be turned off in the options.

Excellent idea. I wish Anet would put in the resources to do it though.

in PvP

Posted by: CutesySylveon.8290

CutesySylveon.8290

What a rediculous post. Team game or not, if someone chooses to not read the chat because there’s nothing but BS in it, then they will and have every right to do so. If they lose because they missed something, then oh well, gg and suck up the loss. If I play and decide to turn off my chat for whatever reason and I miss something, too bad for me and the team. How about instead of assuming everyone’s emotionally fragile, you accept that not everyone cares about it at all?

Maybe I don’t care if I lose or not? Maybe I’m just there to have a bit of fun, and if it means turning off chat, then I will do so, because I don’t -have- to listen to any crap from others. I’ve played team games irl, just like most people and there’s been BS tossed around. Just because it happens, doesn’t mean I have to listen to it, and if there’s a way to just shut it off, like turning off chat, then off it goes. If we lose because our team is a bunch of idiots who can’t control thier mouths, then it’s on them. No skin off my back.

(edited by CutesySylveon.8290)

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

I can’t agree with that. The top ESL teams all use comms. Communication is always a plus in any team game.

We’re talking about team chat, not voip. Comms coming from pugs are most often just distractions and nonsense. Only one out of a thousand comments will be “the engi is condi” or something very slightly usefull. The rest are all inflammatory insults and ego failures. Time was wasted to enter them, more time wasted for others to read, and once someone feels insulted over it, they stop thinking about their play and instead focus on how they might be able to retaliate.

in PvP

Galtrix.7369

What a rediculous post. Team game or not, if someone chooses to not read the chat because there’s nothing but BS in it, then they will and have every right to do so. If they lose because they missed something, then oh well, gg and suck up the loss. If I play and decide to turn off my chat for whatever reason and I miss something, too bad for me and the team. How about instead of assuming everyone’s emotionally fragile, you accept that not everyone cares about it at all?

Maybe I don’t care if I lose or not? Maybe I’m just there to have a bit of fun, and if it means turning off chat, then I will do so, because I don’t -have- to listen to any crap from others. I’ve played team games irl, just like most people and there’s been BS tossed around. Just because it happens, doesn’t mean I have to listen to it, and if there’s a way to just shut it off, like turning off chat, then off it goes. If we lose because our team is a bunch of idiots who can’t control thier mouths, then it’s on them. No skin off my back.

Yup, this is pretty much how I feel in a nutshell. +1

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

I pay more attention to the map pings than the chat. Most of the time the person in chat shouldn’t be giving advice.

in PvP

Posted by: Vicariuz.1605

Vicariuz.1605

3. Not play the game.

A game is supposed to be fun. I play basketball because I enjoy it. However, when I’m called a noob every couple of seconds, I will throw the ball at whoever insults me and walk straight off the court.

So instead of doing what’s right, you react with negativity as well, 2 wrongs don’t make 1 right comes to mind. Block the person insulting you, not your entire team, and then continue to play; instead of afking for a sure loss.

On a side note, do not queue ranked to “have fun” or “hang out.” People are trying to utilize the ONLY “competitive” format arena net has given us, take your “fun” to unranked and stop ruining people’s league grind.

in PvP

CutesySylveon.8290

Perhaps someone is having fun in ranked while trying to win , but saying someone is wrong to shut off chat because there’s nothing but garbage floating around in it is beyond backwards.
If my teammates can’t conduct themselves in a proper way as a team, then they are at fault for the reactions given, those usually being a shut off chat, and the turnout if the loss comes from lack of proper communication.

Don’t be upset if you lash out at someone and they give you the metaphoric ’p!ss off’. And trying to take away people’s options to tell others that is just going to lead to more retaliation and BS in chat. So congratulations, you’re asking to make the issue worse.

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Perhaps someone is having fun in ranked while trying to win , but saying someone is wrong to shut off chat because there’s nothing but garbage floating around in it is beyond backwards.

It’s been established multiple times in this thread that there is useful information being shared in chat. If you can’t bring yourself to admit that then you’re part of the toxicity problem.

If my teammates can’t conduct themselves in a proper way as a team, then they are at fault for the reactions given, those usually being a shut off chat, and the turnout if the loss comes from lack of proper communication.

Don’t be upset if you lash out at someone and they give you the metaphoric ‘p!ss off’. And trying to take away people’s options to tell others that is just going to lead to more retaliation and BS in chat. So congratulations, you’re asking to make the issue worse.

I’m not in favor of taking away people’s ability to not be verbally abused, I’m in favor of taking away that ability while playing sPvP. And the report option is still there, though this is a big area needing improvement for Anet.

Nothing is preventing you from playing PvE. Nothing is preventing you from playing WvW. Nothing is preventing you from just not playing GW2. If you don’t care about playing with others then why are you playing an MMO in the first place? If you’re not down to play and collaborate with people, there’s a great game called Skyrim that you’d really enjoy.

in PvP

CutesySylveon.8290

It’s been established multiple times in this thread that there is useful information being shared in chat. If you can’t bring yourself to admit that then you’re part of the toxicity problem.

Don’t be upset if you lash out at someone and they give you the metaphoric ‘p!ss off’. And trying to take away people’s options to tell others that is just going to lead to more retaliation and BS in chat. So congratulations, you’re asking to make the issue worse.

I’m not in favor of taking away people’s ability to not be verbally abused, I’m in favor of taking away that ability while playing sPvP. And the report option is still there, though this is a big area needing improvement for Anet.

Nothing is preventing you from playing PvE. Nothing is preventing you from playing WvW. Nothing is preventing you from just not playing GW2. If you don’t care about playing with others then why are you playing an MMO in the first place? If you’re not down to play and collaborate with people, there’s a great game called Skyrim that you’d really enjoy.

Never once did I say that there wasn’t useful information in the chat, I said there was garbage that no one has to listen to at any time or for any reason, and if in acting to not listen to it they turn of thier chats, then tough to the useful information and the ability of the team to coordinate. NO one is saying they don’t want to play with others or don’t WANT to play as a team, but if your teammates aren’t going to behave in a team like manner, then it’s on them if the rest of thier team shuts it out.

You say you don’t want to take away people’s ability to not be verbally abused…then turn around and say you want to take it away because of a specific reason that you think justified it. Nothing is preventing you from playing how you want, but you’re proposing to take that away from other people because of how you feel. So it’s your rules or no one gets to do it, and then turn around and say people are immature or selfish because they don’t want to listen to verbal abuse. Lovely.

If we were on a ball field and there was someone spouting a lot of verbal abuse to other players, then the coach has the responsibility to step in and intervene, by either making the player that’s being disruptive act right, or take them off the field, otherwise there’d be fights breaking out all over and your team wouldn’t have any good coordination. Well, we don’t have a coach here to do that, so the next option is to shut it out completely. The outcome may not lead to better team coordination, but it does lead to preventing flame wars in chat, and people doing what they can to ‘fight’ in game like they would on a court, maybe not with fists, but deliberate actions to bring the team down, all because someone can’t keep thier mouth in line. THAT is your issue.

Stop expecting others to act like a good team when thier team is no good to start with. Stop taking the burden of responsibility off of the people doing wrong and putting it on the people responding to said wrong, a response that is not wrong at all.

(edited by CutesySylveon.8290)

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

If you’re not in voice chat, there isn’t really much need to communicate. Watch the minimap and make the obvious decisions.

in PvP

Huskyboy.1053

Never once did I say that there wasn’t useful information in the chat, I said there was garbage that no one has to listen to at any time or for any reason, and if in acting to not listen to it they turn of thier chats, then tough to the useful information and the ability of the team to coordinate. NO one is saying they don’t want to play with others or don’t WANT to play as a team, but if your teammates aren’t going to behave in a team like manner, then it’s on them if the rest of thier team shuts it out.

You say you don’t want to take away people’s ability to not be verbally abused…then turn around and say you want to take it away because of a specific reason that you think justified it. Nothing is preventing you from playing how you want, but you’re proposing to take that away from other people because of how you feel. So it’s your rules or no one gets to do it, and then turn around and say people are immature or selfish because they don’t want to listen to verbal abuse. Lovely.

If we were on a ball field and there was someone spouting a lot of verbal abuse to other players, then the coach has the responsibility to step in and intervene, by either making the player that’s being disruptive act right, or take them off the field, otherwise there’d be fights breaking out all over and your team wouldn’t have any good coordination. Well, we don’t have a coach here to do that, so the next option is to shut it out completely. The outcome may not lead to better team coordination, but it does lead to preventing flame wars in chat, and people doing what they can to ‘fight’ in game like they would on a court, maybe not with fists, but deliberate actions to bring the team down, all because someone can’t keep thier mouth in line. THAT is your issue.

Stop expecting others to act like a good team when thier team is no good to start with. Stop taking the burden of responsibility off of the people doing wrong and putting it on the people responding to said wrong, a response that is not wrong at all.

You’re right about some things and wrong about others:

Right

• Irl games have coaches (and referees) that dictate what’s acceptable conduct and act when someone acts poorly. Anet’s report feature does exist, people do use it, but the punishment is to ban someone for a short period of time and that’s it. The issue is that the “coach” in this analogy exists but barely enforces the rules. This isn’t a player issue, it’s a systematic issue that Anet doesn’t care enough to fix.

Wrong

• I don’t want to take people’s ability to avoid verbal abuse away. I want to change what they have to do in order to avoid it. Currently their way of avoiding it is by turning off team chat. So rather than doing that, I want them to go somewhere else, anywhere else, just not into an sPvP match. That’s all we have to do to avoid this verbal abuse, avoid the game mode and bad justice system that perpetuates it.
  • I’m not shifting responsibility for anything to those who are being verbally attacked. They don’t have a responsibility to do anything. In my ideal scenario they don’t even have to turn off their chat, because it’s not an option. No responsibility is being shifted. I have not blamed them for the actions of others nor will I, I am solely holding them accountable for their actions, which hurt their 4 teammates.
  • My expectation that people act like a good team. Lol what exactly is wrong with this expectation? We have a common interest, that being winning the match. The shared interest is there, and it’s up to each individual to do their best for the team, which also benefits them individually. That’s not a big “burden” to say hey, you should act in your own self-interest. If your primary objective is not to win the match then why are you entering competitive play? There’s lots of fun and achievements to be had in GW2 and other games outside of a competitive environment.

Conclusion
This is the last time I’m going to respond to this thread. If forcing chat during sPvP matches were implemented, and it caused some emotionally-fragile people to leave sPvP for good, I’m ok with that. I don’t want them to go, I want Anet to start enforcing increasingly harder penalties on offenders, as I have made abundantly clear in the past. But people who are not competitive-minded enough to put aside personal feelings for the better of the team should not, in my mind, show up to play. Competitive games provoke strong feelings even when there is a referee and a coach, that is an expectation you should take with you into the match. If you need some inspiration then please watch Bik’s GW2 video on keeping your head up.

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

The benefit from communication that team chat provides never outweighs the disadvantage that comes from the time and effort it takes to write and read it. If you disagree, you may have a serious issue with your ego. The thought alone that you can coach someone during a match with a typed out sentence disqualifies you from coaching. If we want to use ESL players as an example, they review and analyze video. They don’t ever type as a method to coach each other during a match. If they did, it’s exactly why they lost.

This is like, pulling out your driver’s manual while rolling down the street.

Voip is the only beneficial form of communication.

(edited by SneakyTouchy.6043)

in PvP

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

The benefit from communication that team chat provides never outweighs the disadvantage that comes from the time and effort it takes to write and read it. If you disagree, you may have a serious issue with your ego. The thought alone that you can coach someone during a match with a typed out sentence disqualifies you from coaching. If we want to use ESL players as an example, they review and analyze video. They don’t ever type as a method to coach each other during a match. If they did, it’s exactly why they lost.

This is like, pulling out your driver’s manual while rolling down the street.

Voip is the only beneficial form of communication.

Maybe he ment coaching/chatting directly after the enemy stoped him?

in PvP

CutesySylveon.8290

Again, you say the only way to play is how you feel people should, which is not how a teammate should think when he’s playing with others. You aren’t the authority and thinking that your way is the only way shows that you are NOT worthy of being on a team in the first place. So your conclusion is to stop people from being able to play PvP in the first place, which you have no right to do in any way shape or form, for a reason that YOU think justifies it. If someone wants to play sPvP and not be verbally abused, then they have the right to do so, with the means they currently have, with the content they purchased, and if you think otherwise, then it shows just how selfish you really think in trying to take away someone’s means of enjoyment because you don’t like how they enjoy it.

People always want to win, but the goal of winning isn’t the most important thing there is, and in a competitive environment with no moderation of conduct, using the means currently available to avoid the garbage floating in chat is perfectly reasonable.

Your conclusion is flawed beyond comprehension, and you clearly don’t understand how people interact with one another. Emotionally fragile people aren’t going to leave PvP, it will do nothing but lead to more of the issue that causes people to turn chat off in the first place now that they have no choice to listen to it.

Your conclusion is ‘Play my way, or don’t play at all.‘, which will always get the response of a ball field with just you in it while everyone else enjoys thier time somewhere else. If that’s what you want, then fine, but that’s why you aren’t the authority on how the game is played, because it revolves around nothing but you and how you feel others should play it.

in PvP

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

I would like to see team chat forced while waiting for the game to begin, so ppl at least know who is going home, far, etc.

During the match they can turn it off if they want.

I find you can use the mini map functions to communicate pretty well, which is quicker than typing imho.

In addition to the standard ping, Shift + Left Click also gives you the following:
Green Check Mark – to let your team know you got it under control
Red X – Mark places to avoid, like mid when there is a Zerg

You also have a caution and treasure mark indicator too.

Then there is drawing on map with Shift + Right Click

EDIT: A nice feature to have would be “/home”, “/mid” and
“/far” commands which would display a message in chat to those in your team that read “<Character Name> is going far.” etc.

(edited by SaltAndLight.4652)