GW2 Livestream: PvP map creation

in PvP

Posted by: piffdaddy.8014

piffdaddy.8014

Oh my….we might actually get the arena mode I’ve been asking for!!! arena is the one thing that I’ve patiently waited for since launch. Thank you anet

in PvP

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

I liked the stream but it is amusing that the same people who thought
skyhammer was a good idea for solo queue talk about
“good map design”.
Seriously, what were you thinking? That abomination belongs in hotjoin
but not in a competitive environment!

in PvP

Posted by: Smiley.5376

Smiley.5376

Great news ! I’m looking forward to it ! Now livestreams about rewards, balance, bunker/condi/spam meta, fixing broken weaponsets, fixing useless traits would be a huge improvement And maybe a breakdowns of each class along with all of it’s treats, skills and utilities ^^

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Probably the best livestream i have seen so far including, pve and wvwvw streams. Simply awesome.

Glad you liked it. The PvP team is currently putting together a new show that will take place a few times a month on the official Twitch channel. Should be a cool way to keep you guys in the loop on development and anything else that comes up.

Thanks for watching, and we look forward to doing this more often!

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

Probably the best livestream i have seen so far including, pve and wvwvw streams. Simply awesome.

Glad you liked it. The PvP team is currently putting together a new show that will take place a few times a month on the official Twitch channel. Should be a cool way to keep you guys in the loop on development and anything else that comes up.

Thanks for watching, and we look forward to doing this more often!

something similar to state of the game? I miss these shows

in PvP

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t PvP, it just seems too scary…lol…but, I wanted to say I really enjoyed the livestream. It was very informative, and both Devs were a pleasure to get to know a bit better. Keep up the good work! =)

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

I don’t PvP, it just seems too scary…lol…but, I wanted to say I really enjoyed the livestream. It was very informative, and both Devs were a pleasure to get to know a bit better. Keep up the good work! =)

It’s not that scary, try it

in PvP

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

After watching the livestream about the creation of Skyhammer it’s clear that the original concepts and designs for the map were far superior from a game-play perspective. The map had a better layout, it wasn’t in the sky making any fall off an edge instant death, it didn’t have loads of glass panels that turn cheesy CC builds and mechanics into lame fights.

Skyhammer fails because it has too much added to it in one map.

The undodgeable cannon.
The glass floor panels that break.
The sheer drops around the edge.

One of those mechanics alone on the map would make a good secondary mechanic, all 3 together makes for a terrible map.

It seems the map designers don’t know when to stop, either because they don’t really play the maps or PvP and can’t identify what makes for fun game-play, on both sides of a fight and both sides of a mechanic – the user and target.

Watching the designers talk about how they created the map I’m left with an image of a child making porridge for the first time and adding heaps and heaps of sugar into the bowl with the thinking – because one spoon of sugar tastes good, 5 spoons of sugar must taste even better!

No.

in PvP

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Best livestream so far, good job C:

I’m still waiting for the Mesmer guide, though :P

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

Big thumbs up for the stream!

Really liked the looks of one of the maps that didnt make it; the “sylvari map”. So i hope one of the new gamemodes incorporates that style (If you guys can keep it watchable with all the vines that might get in the way).

The main thing i would focus on is creating a map/gamemode where the outcome of small scale skirmishes is the deciding factor. Where you gain an advantage based on kills and winning small fights like that. A bit like a moba (maybe a moba hybrid could be an option).

An arguement can be made that in conquest this is the case aswell. But imo its more about rotating correctly to get area control in conquest. Where in a gamemode that focusses more on kills your entire mindset is different.

in PvP

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

i’m behind the times for spvp so I gotta ask, are we getting a map where the only objective is killing other players?

I think having a pure death match mode would be a great way to highlight the tremendous amount of diverse and viable build options in this deep, rich and flexible professions system.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

in PvP

Posted by: DragonWhimsy.6489

DragonWhimsy.6489

Skyhammer is not a failure. It is by far the most FUN map in sPvP for me.

Is it the best map for super-try-hard mode that hardcore players like? Nope. And not every map should be. It’s for fun and casual play.

It’s actually the most fun I’ve had in small-group, instanced MMO pvp, replacing HuttBall in SWTOR.

I really hope ANet is not scared to create more fun maps because of a small number of very loud voices.

in PvP

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

i’m behind the times for spvp so I gotta ask, are we getting a map where the only objective is killing other players?

I think having a pure death match mode would be a great way to highlight the tremendous amount of diverse and viable build options in this deep, rich and flexible professions system.

Let me first respond by highlighting the pros of conquest.

As was said in the livestream, capture points are a tool they use to force combat. No matter what the secondary objective is, no matter the size of the map, no matter the position or state a team is in, capture points will always gravitate players towards them. This is something a regular team death match would not, and was a problem in gw1.

In random arenas in gw1, occasionally a team would have 3/4 of their members killed, and the last member would run around frantically trying to avoid death. Sometimes it would be because he had a res skill, other times it was to troll, but nonetheless, the losing team was not punished for avoiding the fight until the timer ran out. In gw2, with so many stealths and movement skills, all someone would need to do in order to win a team-death match is to get more kills than the opponents and then avoid them for the rest of the time.

I think there will be some form of a team death match in the future, but it will be accompanied with a mechanic that forces fights much like conquest. We saw some prototype modes in the stream that all have the potential for this, most specifically “Stronghold”. I imagine it to be similar to GvG from gw1, but we don’t know enough now to say. “Arena” was also shown, which could very well be straight up death matches in a very small area.

So, in short, I would expect some version of team death matches in the future, but not in its purest form.

in PvP

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Question, when making a map, there is this constant desire for an exciting secondary objective like the orb in Spirit Watch, or the lords in the forest. However the latest map, skyhammer seems to entirely focus this, due to its massive effect on the battlefield. Where in the process of developing was it decided to behave this way?

1. It cannot be blocked.
2. Has a really short cool down with massive damage.
3. Classes like necro, Mesmer, guardian, etc excel in this map due to knock offs and controlling the laser platform.

Also, these game modes are conquest yet I see player kills grant the team score. Imo this promotes zerging, because there are many professions who can hold a point alone, while the zerg dominates another objective (2/3). What are the thoughts on this?

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in PvP

Posted by: ixon.2496

ixon.2496

Q: Are we likely to see more vertical maps?

I would love some tower based PvP with capture points on different floors, multiple paths leading up.

Desolation [KISS]

in PvP

Posted by: Aenia Shadowforce.9148

Aenia Shadowforce.9148

I saw the video today, just wanted to hop here and share the best quote of all times (I hope somone will read it):
<in response to question when we can see new maps, modes or rewards> “Soon (…), Not as soon as you could possibly imagine… but ALMOST as soon as you could possilby imagine.”
Made my day Love you Arena Net!

in PvP

Posted by: enzoh.5302

enzoh.5302

So, any possibility we might be getting some more of these new maps/game modes with the feature patch? They said there is still more to reveal in the next few Ready Ups. Here’s hoping!