GW2PvPTV 2v2 Tournaments! Starting 11/23

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

Heyo everyone! We’re here today to announce the GW2PvPTV 2v2 Tournaments! This is something that we at PvPTV have been organizing for a bit, and were just about ready to start! Starting on the first official date, we will be having these on a weekly or biweekly basis giving you guys plenty of opportunity for competition. The first tournament will be held on the 23rd of November! Starting at 2PM EST Anyone is welcome to sign up. The tournament will have 16 teams and run on the following format:

• All matches will be fought in the cave on Temple of the Silent Storm
  • All games will be played on NA servers
  • All games Best of 3
  • Grand Finals will be Best of 7

We’re also proud to announce that this tournament will have regular prizing provided by ArenaNet! The winning team members will each receive one 2000 gem card and second place team members will also be receiving one 800 gem card.

We have a set of rules that players must follow. Please keep in mind these rules only apply to this specific tournament (2v2 #1) and that the rules may change for future tournaments. Please make sure to abide by them to ensure maximum flow and fun for all competitors:

• Teams may not consist of the following compositions:
    * Double Bunkers (see below rules for clarification on this)
    * Any Class Stacking
    * Minion Necro and Spirit Ranger (on the same team)
  • If a team consists of any of the previously listed compositions they will be given approximately 10 minutes to change violating parts of the composition. If they cannot complete this task in the time allotted the team will be disqualified.
  • Once a player is stomped, he or she may not rejoin the fight or join the spectator team. Players that do this will be disqualified.
  • Players may not make use of any form of Hacking, Mods, or Game Exploits as defined by the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement
  • No Purposefully avoiding combat (otherwise known as delaying/stalling). Admins will decide when and if players are stalling. First offense is a warning, Second offense will give your opponents one point, Third offense is Disqualification. Example of stalling would be abusing stealth or other mechanics to clear combat and regain health.
  • Each team must be standing at opposite ends of the cave when the round begins
  • If a player willingly leaves the cave (bottom of the staircase), The opposing team will be given one point. Being CC’d onto the staircase does not count so long as the player promptly returns to the main battleground
  • Players have 5 minutes to change builds between rounds. We recommend players have multiple characters of the same class prepared so that they may be ready to switch in a timely manner if they wish.
  • Admins will determine bunkers on a build by build basis, but as a general definition it is defined as being able to soak up, negate, or redirect massive amounts of damage while having a much lesser focus on damage output. For example a 0/0/10/30/30 Cleric’s Amulet Guardian would probably be considered a bunker, but a stealth focused mesmer would not. Please keep in mind that this is a very loose definition, and once more admins will have the final say on if a build is a bunker or not.
  • Admins reserve the right to change/alter the rules at any time

And that’s about it guys! Sensotix and I are looking forward to casting this and seeing some intense action! The tournament will be live on PvPTV . If you would like to sign up, all you need to do is fill out the form at the bottom of this post. We will be choosing teams randomly to give everyone a fair chance to compete. Good luck to all and were looking forward to seeing you live!

SIGNUP FORM

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

(edited by BLUna.7928)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Nice job putting this together, Blu.

Having the duels held in the cave room on Temple is an interesting idea. Definitely a lot more obstacles you could use to LOS and kite around. Will be an interesting change up from the normal beach fights on Forest.

I’m also looking forward to seeing Sensotix cast. He’s a great player and could bring some good analysis to these types of events.

in PvP

Posted by: JinDaVikk.7291

JinDaVikk.7291

I cant make it thanksgiving > videogames

Team Radioactive
Crysis, Lil Damage, Ovi, Jindavikk, Guard
Causing cancer all day.

in PvP

Posted by: Fury of Balthazar.2694

Fury of Balthazar.2694

I noticed that the tournament does not allow builds that rely heavily on passive play and passive abilities. In the same spirit, can you also ban Healing Signet from the competition?

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

Define “Bunker”.

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

in PvP

Posted by: Tenderly.7019

Tenderly.7019

What about rez utilities? Are they allowed?

My opinion is they shouldn’t be.

in PvP

Posted by: YourFriendMarvin.4127

YourFriendMarvin.4127

Please change the map to beach of Forest. The bottom of Temple is horrible for 2v2’s, lots of camera angle problems.

#MostTeamQueueWins before December 2nd, 2014 Patch
[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ
http://www.twitch.tv/yourfriendmarvin

in PvP

Posted by: rsq.3581

rsq.3581

Maybe this could be attempted in a number of locations? Beach gets really tired with its lack of objects to use as line of sight and relatively straightforward layout. So in that regard, I like the idea of using the bottom of temple. Maybe there are other locations that can be used for the 2v2s? You could possibly have the tournaments rotate maps from week to week or even between matches?

Salphir | Salfir | Falana
jo0 Binder

in PvP

YourFriendMarvin.4127

We just had a 2v2 tourney with Temple as the map. Majority of us agreed that it isn’t the best map for 2v2’s. Camera Angle issues, classes with heavy AoE can hit you from under the bridge. LoS is nice, but this area has so much pathing problems. Alot of rubberbanding. Forest is plain, but it’s the best for 2v2’s. Maybe try Khylo at Blue Spawn?

[NA]Rank 71 before April 15th, 2014 Feature Patch OG Moltres, 10k Champion Brawler, Team PZ

in PvP

Posted by: Reevz.2617

Reevz.2617

We just had a 2v2 tourney with Temple as the map. Majority of us agreed that it isn’t the best map for 2v2’s. Camera Angle issues, classes with heavy AoE can hit you from under the bridge. LoS is nice, but this area has so much pathing problems. Alot of rubberbanding. Forest is plain, but it’s the best for 2v2’s. Maybe try Khylo at Blue Spawn?

im sorry but beach is the WORST place in the game for anything remotely competitive

in PvP

YourFriendMarvin.4127

im sorry but beach is the WORST place in the game for anything remotely competitive

Hmm, we need to discuss maps later. Master Splinter

in PvP

BLUna.7928

Hey guys just wanted to update. In regards to the map after speaking to a few people about it I am going to be keeping it on Temple for now but as this is the first of many tournaments we will probably changing the map up from week to week. In regards to what is defined as a bunker I am going to update the OP later with more specifics on that.

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster

in PvP

BLUna.7928

For those that have signed up check your emails/challonge accounts now! Signups are still open but those that signed up have been added to the bracket. Email was sent to team member 1. You MUST confirm your participation on Challonge! If neither team member recieved a message feel free to contact me in game and we can sort it out.

Also, brackets currently on challonge are NOT what they will be on the date of the tournament. The brackets will be shuffled before the tournament starts

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster

(edited by BLUna.7928)

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Way to kill Petting Zoo team for no reason.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Kushh.4895

Kushh.4895

oh, and you should also ban all mesmers, theifs, guardians, and anybody who uses rock dog for their runes. that is the only way that this tournament is fair.

in PvP

YourFriendMarvin.4127

I don’t know why people are complaining about Minion Master Necro/Spirit Rangers. Heavy AoE destroys all their AI. Then after that they’re vulnerable.

in PvP

Kushh.4895

exactly. they are part of the game. to take it out i just dont understand

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

I say let us Petting Zoo play… Things to know about the team:
- No stability between either character.
- Only 1 stun break between both players, which causes sacrificing a minion to do.
- Huge weakness to AoE. (And CC)
- “Trickable” Ai when using ground leverage.

Please let us play.

in PvP

Kushh.4895

^

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

I think Blu means you can run Spirit Ranger or Minionmancer, you just can’t run Spirit Ranger and Minionmancer in the same comp.

I could be wrong, though.

(edited by Josh Davis.6015)

in PvP

Reevz.2617

- Only 1 stun break between both players, which causes sacrificing a minion to do.

Please let us play.

he’s only banning that comp spirit + mm/// he is letting you play that’s why he banned all the ai///passive.. so you can play!

jokes aside i dont know if that comp warrants… banning i mean mesmers are the real kings of Ai— marvin and loli’s comp that last tourny…lol stealth spam—either way less ai builds doesnt bother me

(edited by Reevz.2617)

in PvP

YourFriendMarvin.4127

Please let us play.

he’s only banning that comp spirit + mm/// he is letting you play that’s why he banned all the ai///passive.. so you can play!

jokes aside i dont know if that comp warrants… banning i mean mesmers are the real kings of Ai— marvin and loli’s comp that last tourny…lol stealth spam—either way less ai builds doesnt bother me

^_^ my comp is fine…don’t worry.

in PvP

Reevz.2617

Please let us play.

^_^ my comp is fine…don’t worry.

LETS BE HONEST. condi mesmer uses AI more than anything :P

in PvP

Reevz.2617

Reevz.2617:

Im sorry, but me and High Warlord Sikari practiced A LOT with our spirit rannger MM necro comp and succeeded well with it. by telling us we can play your saying “Hey you guys can play but sorry we are giving u a disadvantage by only banning your comp.” I even spoke to some people who are hosting this tourney and they don’t seem to care… this makes me and a lot of people I know sad. if u dont change it i have no respect for whoever made this tourney.

you’re complaining about your ridiculous ammount of pets set up in a game which lets be honest needs less ai and passive play. i wouldnt mind if they banned condi and phantasm mesmer/ and turret engineer.

in PvP

Reevz.2617

ALSO, can we please ban moa?

in PvP

Posted by: DoYourBestBear.6810

DoYourBestBear.6810

Also, ban tool kit and elixir gun.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Please let us play.

Wow, didn’t quite expect that much support to get a star thumbs up, maybe that will help him change his mind? I’d love to be able to run our original comp. We’re currently planning on doing MM+Support guardian, which honestly will probably be just as effective, but its just not “us”.

in PvP

Kushh.4895

i just feel like banning anything is taking away from the game. each class and playstle was put in the game for a reason, so banning something because you dont like it is unfair to everybody. as ronpierce said, the MM necro spirit ranger comp is highly susceptible to CC AND AOE.

in PvP

DoYourBestBear.6810

The issue is that, by and large, it’s easier for people to say something is banned rather than letting a 2v2 meta develop or evolve. This is just a simple case of that short-sightedness. Admittedly, so is Reevz asking for a Moa ban, even though you can block/blind/dodge/interrupt it.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Exactly… I mean through practice we’ve lost quite a few times (and even in the last tourney we lost at least once in most match ups we had), its far from unbeatable. It’s not a mess to watch neither as long as shout casters turn minion name tags off. Most people just don’t do that and then complain when they see name clutter all over the place. The clutter isn’t bad at ALL even necro vs necro mm if you jut turn off the enemy names but turn on Player names.

Granted; because its such an issue and people never learn when I explain this to them, they need to just make a default setting turning all minion names off in PvP (pets/spirits/spirit weapons/elementals/minions etc.)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Not to mention; Moa 1 shots all of my pets, and I wasn’t saying ban mesmers, even though THAT is considered a bug. :/ You just learn to deal…

in PvP

Reevz.2617

The issue is that, by and large, it’s easier for people to say something is banned rather than letting a 2v2 meta develop or evolve. This is just a simple case of that short-sightedness. Admittedly, so is Reevz asking for a Moa ban, even though you can block/blind/dodge/interrupt it.

you can also stealth and cast it or cast it out of line of sight and then blink into line of sight. great counterplay amirite? better block every time they stealth!

it’s a gimmick that will often win you the fight by landing it

in PvP

BLUna.7928

Just updated the post to clarify a few things:

• MM Necro and Spirit Rangers are not banned by themselves, rather they are disallowed when paired together on the same team.
  • Definition of a Bunker: I did have to make an addition to the rules for this, and I apologize in advance if this causes any complications. Due to the complexity of this topic I have decided that admins will be given the right to decide if a build is a bunker or not. I placed a general definition and examples for the sake of reference but please keep in mind that this is a very loose definition and admins will have the final say.
  • Added an example of stalling to clarify it’s relation to stealth focused builds

And beyond that guys things are shaping up nicely! We only have 2 spots left! So sign up now! To add one last thing in response to the controversy surrounding the banning of the “petting zoo” composition: please keep in mind that this is the first of many PvPTV 2v2 tournaments, and while the rules may not change for this specific one, it is possible it will be altered in future versions of this tournament as I plan to hold it on a weekly/bi-weekly basis.

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster

(edited by BLUna.7928)

in PvP

Posted by: Supcutie.2538

Supcutie.2538

Moa gives tankier comps opportunities to shine since they can just line up their damage during the window. That’s super boring though, kiting around for 180 seconds if it misses etc. Moa should def be banned.

My Guide: http://bit.ly/SupcutieGuide (Easy link)
Mega link: http://bit.ly/mesmerguide

in PvP

DoYourBestBear.6810

I would also like to ban coordination.

in PvP

Kushh.4895

^ says it all. good luck everybody with terrible rules

in PvP

BLUna.7928

Final Two Spots have been filled and the bracket has been shuffled. If you would still like to sign up feel free to do so and you will be added to a waiting list if we have teams drop out and/or no show.

here is a link to the brackets: http://challonge.com/PvPTV2v2

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster

in PvP

DoYourBestBear.6810

You should probably ban res. utilities and engineers.

in PvP

Posted by: Kavia.8249

Kavia.8249

Moa gives tankier comps opportunities to shine since they can just line up their damage during the window. That’s super boring though, kiting around for 180 seconds if it misses etc. Moa should def be banned.

The same could be said for many elites (tanky comps stalling until its back up). For consistency one could ban all elites with cooldowns of 180 seconds or greater

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Or; just don’t ban anything because the FML 2v2 tourney was missive amounts of fun and no one was playing build police. People came to have fun not be bossed around… And guess what happened? People had fun and there were a lot of nail biting plays and unique comps…

in PvP

Posted by: Supcutie.2538

Supcutie.2538

Or; just don’t ban anything because the FML 2v2 tourney was missive amounts of fun and no one was playing build police. People came to have fun not be bossed around… And guess what happened? People had fun and there were a lot of nail biting plays and unique comps…

There are plenty of 2v2s and 3v3s that have no rules. If we really want good, fair competition, then we have to impose some balance restrictions. Moa and some other skills aren’t balanced for 2v2 or 3v3, but 5v5.

My Guide: http://bit.ly/SupcutieGuide (Easy link)
Mega link: http://bit.ly/mesmerguide

(edited by Supcutie.2538)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Moa really isn’t that OP in 2v2. Its okay, but to be honest the no rule tourney went over just fine. None of the winners were 100% of the time blazing through. Even us as Petting Zoo lost several times along the way.

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Instead of temple, why not the middle of Skyhammer? Nice big area, no drop floors, good usage of LOS and elevation…

(and no Lyssa Runes!)

(edited by Thedenofsin.7340)

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Dunno why you don’t just run spirit guard and spirit ranger instead

Call your team “We’ve got spirit” or something

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Because I’ve played MM for 9 months. Its pretty much all I know how to play with the time and dedication invested. Which is how I know all the people who complain about AI are full of it usually and just have a lack of knowledge on how to deal with them. (Last tourney we faced off as MM+Spirit ranger vs MM+Spirit, both were rank 60 players and we still beat them. It wasn’t even remotely hard to follow what was going on. People just panic when they see more than 1 enemy, and don’t turn off minion names, so they get overwhelmed. But they’re really not that big of a deal.) Also we considered playing Venom Share MM, but we just decided eventually to skip this tourney all together and wait for the next FML tourney.

in PvP

Posted by: Walabone.6713

Walabone.6713

Final Two Spots have been filled and the bracket has been shuffled. If you would still like to sign up feel free to do so and you will be added to a waiting list if we have teams drop out and/or no show.

here is a link to the brackets: http://challonge.com/PvPTV2v2

You should throw that up in the OP

Walabone – Borlis Pass
Ascension [WAR] Officer | [ÆÆÆÆ] | Driver of BP’s GvG guild [BB]

in PvP

BLUna.7928

Okay guys were just a little over one day from getting started! As a quick reminder for those participating, if you have any circumstances that would prevent you from participating this saturday PLEASE remember to let me know in game so we can try to fill your spot and avoid any byes. See you on Saturday!

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster

in PvP

BLUna.7928

Little more than 12 hours to showtime! Just a few quick things before we go live guys!

• If you are a captain of a team (Player 1 in the entry form) you have recieved an IGM with the server information for tomorrow in addition to anything you need to complete in order to play.
  • Teams please be sure to check in with me (BLUna.7928) BEFORE the tournament starts so we can make sure you are here and ready to play
  • In the case of any no-shows byes will be given to the competitor in the same position as the team that did not show up

And thats about it guys! Looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow!

Stream Link

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

This tournament is live at: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2pvptv

in PvP

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Moving this to Structured PvP for the duration of the tournament. Feel free to discuss.