[General Discussion] Rewarding: PvP > PvE ?

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

First, when PVP at release had Gem rewards for the top teams of the automated tournaments, giving PVP players a way to earn gem store rewards without paying cash or playing PVE.

Later they changed that, so the only “benefit” of PVP was getting some very specific skins, like Dwayna Bows (short and long), Firebringer and the Hunter (without stats) Other than those skins, PVP rewards were next to nothing.

Why should spvp be more rewarding than pve?

and why should it not?

some reasons being:
because there are too many players playing PvE, not enough playing sPvP.
because fighting humans takes more skill than PvE content.
because we want to promote sPvP
because current rewards of sPvP is pathetically low

gem store related reasons being:
because if sPvP is more rewarding, sPvP players may be more able to buy gems using gold, helping with the gem inflation, causing more PvE players to buy gems using real cash, thus more profit for ANet.

all for the glory of the gem store!

For the bolded part: there are also way too many players playing the easily farmable places like EotM or Champ trains, or running CoF P1 / SE P1 and other fast dungeons, while fewer players run the “harder” parts of PVE, like Arah P4 or Aetherpath in TA.

I want the rewards of PVP to be increased, but the way you are asking for it “give pvp rewards MORE rewards than PVE” isn’t the way. An overall FIX of the reward system is badly needed, one that will affect all aspects of PVE, PVP and WvW as well because right now, the more mindless/boring/fast an activity is, the higher rewards it gives.

THIS is what needs to change, and increasing the PVP rewards will come as a result of the rewards rebalancing.

tl;dr Rewards need some tweaking all over the game, it’s not only PVP that has lower rewards than “it should have”, it’s nearly every aspect of the game that requires at least tiny amount of skill and effort to play…

Effort should be rewarded!

in PvP

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

It would seem to me that the best way to get more players into sPvP, is to add new exciting content for it. Hopefully the upcoming pvp patch will do just that.

True. I don’t see why that deserves a better reward though. Arguably, you’ll face both easy and difficult opponents in sPvP. And not every team you face is a big challenge. It makes more sense to me that you should receive higher rewards based on what tier the team is in. Rewards based on the pvp skill of the opponents that you defeat.

Similarly, PVE has easy opponents, and opponents that require more teamwork (Tequatl, the Jungle Wurm), and thus have better rewards.

I think the best way to promote sPvP, is to show people that sPvP is fun, and to provide new players to more easily get into it.

I do not know what the current rewards are for sPvP. Are they that bad?

because if sPvP is more rewarding, sPvP players may be more able to buy gems using gold, helping with the gem inflation, causing more PvE players to buy gems using real cash, thus more profit for ANet.

That is a bit of circular reasoning. I mean you can use the same argument to argue that improving rewards in PVE, allows more PVE players to buy more gems using gold, helping gem inflation, causing more sPvP players to buy gems using real cash. In fact, if the PVE population is higher than the sPvP population, it makes even more sense to handle it this way, considering the size of the target audience.

If you want to get sPvP players to buy more from the gemstore, I think it would help if there were more things in the gemstore that would appeal to sPvP players. Not just finishers, but other stuff.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in PvP

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I do believe they should be equally rewarded when you win. If you kill a boss in PVE you get rewarded and I think those rewards should be equal to the winners in sPVP.

However, when you lose at PVE (don’t kill a world boss, don’t finish a dungeon) you don’t get rewarded at all. In sPVP you still get rewarded for losing.

However if you didn’t get something for playing sPVP I am sure there would be even less playing than there are now.

Regardless I think the rewards should be equal, not greater than.

in PvP

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

they will not return to the original format where sPvP and PvE is divided.
it was a mistake that they split up PvE and sPvP at the start, but they rectified it.

how would you feel if both sPvP and PvE are rewarded equally?

“Equally” is very hard to judge between two very different activities. If you mean “equally to nonstop dungeon farming,” then that seems a bit much to me, because that’s not a very common gameplay experience. If you mean “equally to the average PvE player’s experience casually playing the game” then I guess I don’t have a problem with that, but really PvP is about the competition factor, it really shouldn’t be something people farm for loot.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

in PvP

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

I agree. Would be a good way of getting pve’ers into PvP as well.

I don’t plan to step one pixelated foot inside any pvp map. Ever. I don’t care how “rewarding” they make it or what shiny they try to place in there to funnel more people. As far as the question goes, I think all game modes should be equally rewarding. It would fit into the whole “play how you want” moto.

in PvP

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

..but really PvP is about the competition factor, it really shouldn’t be something people farm for loot.

QFT.

Adding loot based rewards to a PvP format, outside tournies, equates to a crap PvP community and base skill level. Overall it rewards selfish play and the materialistic mentality that grinds for reward. This shouldn’t be allowed, let alone condoned and encouraged, in such a format.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

..but really PvP is about the competition factor, it really shouldn’t be something people farm for loot.

QFT.

Adding loot based rewards to a PvP format, outside tournies, equates to a crap PvP community and base skill level. Overall it rewards selfish play and the materialistic mentality that grinds for reward. This shouldn’t be allowed, let alone condoned and encouraged, in such a format.

I believe the “more rewards” would apply to tournaments and not hotjoin farming, we don’t need another Skyhammer farm…

in PvP

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I disagree. In PvE you have to buy/craft/earn your rewards.

In PvP you earn skins through playing PvP, you do not need any monetary rewards. What you seem to be actually be asking for is a way for PvP players to earn PvE rewards.

I have nothing inherently against this, but if you can earn PvE rewards through PvP, then you should also be able to earn PvP rewards through PvE.

new PvP amulets, sigils, runes etc needs to be unlocked with gold, lots of gold.
new traits, needs to be unlocked with gold as well.

new characters created after the NPE has lots and lots of traits that needs to be unlocked with gold.

unfortunately, absurdly, ridiculously, traits unlocks are character bound and not account bound.

only the balthazar’s reward track and glorious armor reward track is limited to sPvP, PvE players can easily abuse spectator mode and auto balance to unlock those reward tracks.

by the way, sPvP has no real means at all to acquire PvE rewards such as fractal weapon skins, and legendary precursor weapons.

You are correct, I forgot about that rather odd decision. In that case then yes I do agree that PvP should be more rewarding. The time it would take to unlock everything doing only PvP would be rather absurd.

The key of course is to balance it. You don’t want people afk’ing hotjoin PvP for 20g/hr. I would say a reward system that scales with your PvP rank and does not apply in hotjoin would be the best option.

in PvP

fireflyry.7023

QFT.

I believe the “more rewards” would apply to tournaments and not hotjoin farming, we don’t need another Skyhammer farm…

If so all good. I assumed title tracks and such were on the table. I can’t see PvE players being enticed over to PvP by tournie rewards….

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

QFT.

If so all good. I assumed title tracks and such were on the table. I can’t see PvE players being enticed over to PvP by tournie rewards….

if the rewards is worth the trouble, why not?

by “tournaments” errr i meant the new ranked arena format which would be a combination of the current solo arena as well as team arena.

the rewards better be better than what the current team arena is offering.

in PvP

fireflyry.7023

if the rewards is worth the trouble, why not?

I don’t see it happening.

Pretty steep learning curve for a PvE player totally noob to PvP, especially when considering all the PvP vets dust their whacking sticks off when any new rewards come out. So you have a bunch of new players coming in and a bunch of impatient vets just waiting for the lambs to come into the slaughter. Overall it’s a pretty hostile and unwelcoming environment for most newbies and as stated earlier I can’t see it having anything but a temporary effect as opposed to making PvP a relevant and long term option for the majority.

But hey…I’d be more than happy to be proved wrong

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

@ fireflyry.7023
well, true, although 2+ years have passed since gw2’s release, and sPvP is still extremely disappointing, but i’m still hoping it will shine better later on.

but before that, we need more players playing sPvP, increasing rewards is often one of the fastest methods to achieve that.

This is the major problem atm. The perception is wrong.

Serious or focussed PvP players at large couldn’t care less about shinies. The reward is beating another player(s) in an enjoyable and competitive format. Pure and simple.

I don’t hear anyone of merit in the PvP community wanting better shinies or minis or any of that kitten. They want more formats, GvG, Guild Halls for their team and a better PvP experience totally outside any impact changing the reward structure will bring.

That mentality is predominantly in PvE where the legendary weapons wearers hang out high-fiving each other.

Often increasing and easing rewards does little more than temporarily drag PvE players over that would rather be pwning trash mobs or Teq in PvE, till they get their shiny and go back to PvE. It results in a temporary population spike with a side-effect of an influx of bad players but in the long run completely ignores more significant factors that actually have merit and import in the overall longevity, health and relevance of the PvP format.

hmmm i think the perception can go both ways, though i think yours may have more players.

yes, it is true that, hardcore sPvP players care little about shinies. but still, there are some PvE players who are motivated by shinies, and hopefully, some of those such players, could be converted into long term sPvP players via said shinies.

yes, the side effect is that there may be a huge influx of players, that, may cause bad experience for the existing sPvP players for a time being, but after a while, part of those new players may eventually develop the necessary sPvP skills in order to survive in the harsh sPvP environment, well, hopefully, anyway.

provided if the new ranked arena game mode (combination of current solo arena and team arena) cannot be easily abused, exploited etc.

i’m still hoping for the best, for gw2 ’s sPvP.

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I do not agree that spvp should be more rewarding than pve. Conversely, I also do not agree that pve should be more rewarding than spvp. Honestly, all game modes should be equally rewarding, so as not to make any particular player type feel like they are ‘playing wrong’ or ‘losing out’ because they opt to pve or wvw or pvp. Yes, I know, easier said than done.

Beyond that, each mode should have its own cosmetic incentives to entice cross mode play. Weapon skins, armor skins, titles, minis, etc. They’ve done just a pinch of this, but I think they need to do more with it.

Just my 2c

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

ah yes, right after launch, there were tournaments that require tournament tickets, those had gem rewards. but it seems like it was not very popular, before they introduced sPvP tournament tickets via PvP daily and monthly rewards, i did not even bother to check out sPvP or sPvP tournaments.

it was after they introduced PvP daily and monthly achievements, that motivated me to play sPvP on a daily basis. heck, i even did some tournament games back then, because the PvP monthly achievement require 3 tournament games won.

First, when PVP at release had Gem rewards for the top teams of the automated tournaments, giving PVP players a way to earn gem store rewards without paying cash or playing PVE.

Later they changed that, so the only “benefit” of PVP was getting some very specific skins, like Dwayna Bows (short and long), Firebringer and the Hunter (without stats) Other than those skins, PVP rewards were next to nothing.

Why should spvp be more rewarding than pve?

and why should it not?

some reasons being:

all for the glory of the gem store!

For the bolded part: there are also way too many players playing the easily farmable places like EotM or Champ trains, or running CoF P1 / SE P1 and other fast dungeons, while fewer players run the “harder” parts of PVE, like Arah P4 or Aetherpath in TA.

I want the rewards of PVP to be increased, but the way you are asking for it “give pvp rewards MORE rewards than PVE” isn’t the way. An overall FIX of the reward system is badly needed, one that will affect all aspects of PVE, PVP and WvW as well because right now, the more mindless/boring/fast an activity is, the higher rewards it gives.

THIS is what needs to change, and increasing the PVP rewards will come as a result of the rewards rebalancing.

tl;dr Rewards need some tweaking all over the game, it’s not only PVP that has lower rewards than “it should have”, it’s nearly every aspect of the game that requires at least tiny amount of skill and effort to play…

Effort should be rewarded!

well, yeah, you are correct, even the current PvE rewards are not well balanced at all, dungeon explorable paths that take much more time to complete have equal rewards with those dungeon paths that are much more easier and faster to complete.

another fine example is fractals. the fractal rewards are pathetically low when compared against other rewards in PvE.

and yes, i agree with you completely, efforts should be better rewarded!

well, just being increasing the amount of basic currency gold would be a good start.

in PvP

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

While it sounds good in theory, in practice it will lead to match manipulation, pvp farm servers or whatever else people can come up with to abuse the system to get fast rewards instead of fighting. Ruining some portion of pvp in the process.

Increased rewards were introduced in GW1 and the result was box farming instead of fights.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

While it sounds good in theory, in practice it will lead to match manipulation, pvp farm servers or whatever else people can come up with to abuse the system to get fast rewards instead of fighting. Ruining some portion of pvp in the process.

Increased rewards were introduced in GW1 and the result was box farming instead of fights.

true, but what if, only ranked arena games has better rewards? PvP farm servers have minimal rewards and not worth farming for.

a sPvP environment that is not prone to match manipulation and any form of abuse.

what about it then?

in PvP

Posted by: KurisuX.7340

KurisuX.7340

Ugh, more PVP attention. This game has gotten a ton of love for PVP. Can the PVE be explored more soon? This is why we have no expansion, no Cantha, No Tigers. PVE never gets rewarded because PVP gets catered to. You know what? They give money. MONEY. REAL MONEY as a reward for pvp. Play for money. NOW… can I have a TIGER please?

in PvP

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

It would take time to improve the system so it can’t be abused. I prefer to have a reward slightly less rewarding than PvE, so that it’s just not worth trying to abuse it.

They could just increase a little bit, the amount of gold reward for a win or a lose. Right now, if you have a good team and are lucky enough so that you can form match fast, you could win 6 match in team arena in an hour (if you are lucky). That mean 1.8 gold per hour at best. The amount of gold you receive at the end of a dungeon is usually 1.29 gold per path, and you can do about 3-4 path per hours wihtout much problem. That’s about 5 gold per hour. You could double the amount of gold reward per match in sPvP and dungeon would still be better in term of reward.

At least that way, you would have a reward closer to PvE in sPvP, but very few ppl would try to farm it since dungeon would still be a more reliable source of income.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

in PvP

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

true, but what if, only ranked arena games has better rewards? PvP farm servers have minimal rewards and not worth farming for.

a sPvP environment that is not prone to match manipulation and any form of abuse.

what about it then?

That manipulation that I referred to occurred in Guild v Guild, a ranked PvP arena with matchmaking. The other famous “red resign” was in hero battles, the other ranked pvp form in the game.

Making ranked rewards better will only lead to a surge of farmers going to the ranked games. And don’t think that any pvp environment is immune – If they match up with someone who wants to fight, they will just afk/dance, ruining the game. If they get paired with manipulators, it’s all good and red “resigns”. Either way, the farmers get more than people playing legitimately.

in PvP

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Looks like the thread got move countdown until it gets ugly. 3….2….1…..

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in PvP

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

what about it then?

Then it will be farmed by people that do not care about their rankings, which may sour the experience for those that do.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

Structured Player versus Player (sPvP)
should be more rewarding than
Player versus Environment (PvE)

Why? Because it takes skill? Skill is relative. I once found ranger running sword/warhorn using nothing but his 5,4 and 1 skill. Beating him is was easier then beating some mobs. PvP so much skill.

dedicated PvE dungeon runners can earn much more gold, much faster than a party of 5 who participate in team arena, due to the amount of time spent waiting for a match to happen.

That is a dangerous and difficult way to balance reward because better rewards mean more people hence less waiting time, making the rewards too much rewarding.

PvE dungeon runners can start their dungeon run anytime (almost, save for CoF) once they have all 5 of their team members ready.

You forgot CoE and Arah.

some minor update after receiving some feedback:
if sPvP should not be more rewarding than PvE,
then at least, sPvP and PvE should be equally rewarding.

You forgot the fact that pve needs far more investing in gold (and time?) to start then pvp. So I’m not sure if rewards should be equal. Especially if anet intends to manipulate PvE meta some day.

i agree with this statement, well, at least it should be this way for ranked sPvP arena games.

another update:
to clarify, casual hotjoin sPvP should NOT get any more rewarding than it currently it is now, the current rewards for casual hotjoin sPvP is fine as it is.

This is a bad idea. By splitting rewards and ranked play in this way , you create a toxic enviroment. Since people who want the rewards or just want to have, will join the ranked play since it will earn much more. They most likey will have less skill and will probably lose. They won’t care about the drop in their ranking but the player who play for the rank will be angry at those players. So the rank driven players will be frustated and start verbally abusing the players who play for fun or loot. So now you will have two player frustrated player bases.

EverythingOP

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

It would seem to me that the best way to get more players into sPvP, is to add new exciting content for it. Hopefully the upcoming pvp patch will do just that.

yes, adding new exciting content to it is one way, however, that will take them a very long time to implement it at all.

increasing rewards is faster and have instant effects. look at what the april 2014 patch did. it certainly motivated a lot of non-sPvP players to try out sPvP, and i dare say more players play sPvP now than before the april patch.

True. I don’t see why that deserves a better reward though. Arguably, you’ll face both easy and difficult opponents in sPvP. And not every team you face is a big challenge. It makes more sense to me that you should receive higher rewards based on what tier the team is in. Rewards based on the pvp skill of the opponents that you defeat.

Similarly, PVE has easy opponents, and opponents that require more teamwork (Tequatl, the Jungle Wurm), and thus have better rewards.

well, better rewards might better motivate more players to try it out.
the current rewards just does not quite cut it yet.

yes, i agree that, not every team we face in sPvP is a great challenge, so, the rewards for beating a team with much lower rating should not be higher than the rewards for beating a team with much higher rating.

hopefully, they will implement this properly in the upcoming december patch.

I think the best way to promote sPvP, is to show people that sPvP is fun, and to provide new players to more easily get into it.

yes, while this is one method, still, there are players who are motivated by shinies, the april 2014 patch demonstrated this nicely.

and unfortunately, it is also true that, there are people who do not find the current one and only one conquest game mode of sPvP to be fun.

I do not know what the current rewards are for sPvP. Are they that bad?

well, the current gold rewards of sPvP have 3 tiers

lose / win gold rewards respectively
hotjoin – 10 / 15 silvers
solo – 12.50 / 25 silvers
team – 15 / 30 silvers

besides gold rewards, there are also sPvP rank points rewards and sPvP reward tracks progression.

lose / win pvp rank points rewards respectively
hotjoin – 200 / 500 rank points
solo – 300 / 1000 rank points
team – 500 / 1500 rank points

That is a bit of circular reasoning. I mean you can use the same argument to argue that improving rewards in PVE, allows more PVE players to buy more gems using gold, helping gem inflation, causing more sPvP players to buy gems using real cash. In fact, if the PVE population is higher than the sPvP population, it makes even more sense to handle it this way, considering the size of the target audience.

If you want to get sPvP players to buy more from the gemstore, I think it would help if there were more things in the gemstore that would appeal to sPvP players. Not just finishers, but other stuff.

well, yeah, you are right, regarding this, you got me there.
hmmm i can’t think up any better arguments to counter what you wrote at the moment, its kinda getting late over here and my brain is shutting down soon.

anyway, thanks for the feedback!

in PvP

maddoctor.2738

You forgot the fact that pve needs far more investing in gold (and time?) to start then pvp. So I’m not sure if rewards should be equal. Especially if anet intends to manipulate PvE meta some day.

That’s false. PVP players have to unlock new amulets/skills/traits with gold, pve players can unlock them for free by playing the appropriate content.

The only gold sink that applies only to PVE players are waypoint costs… repair and trait changes are a thing of the past. TP costs apply to PVP players too, crafting costs (to get better skins) applies to PVP players too, Gem cost applies to PVP players too. So where is this “investment” PVE players must do in order to play? If anything PVP players have to pay more because they have to unlock their amulets and traits.

in PvP

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Part 1: (due to word limit)

I’m going to come in here and play the devil, which says an absolute NO to this.

PvPers don’t require to get better Gold Rewards, than PvE’ers.
Thats absolute utterly nonsense high 3

If ANet wouldn’t have changed the PvP Rewards in general with the introduction of the PvP Reward Tracks (which already reward you partwise better than PvEers, as its easier to grind the skins out with PvP, than with PvE), there would be no need for any Gold rewards at all for PvPers, cause ANet removed the original “currency” for PvPers and replaced it just only with Gold, in the Hope, this would draw in a large amounts of the superior amount of players of GW2, that are PvE Players, which bring in also the biggest amount of cash in for Anet through the Gem Store to play also PvP, in the hope, this would strengthen the PvP Community to get up on par more with the huge PvE crowd and PvX crowd, that partially plays besides of PvE also WvW to get into PvP too…

All Reward Changes that have been done so far in PvP have been done only in favor and hope, that the large PvE community would get more interested to play also PvP, except for those rewards that you receive for winning their special ESport Tournaments and going in so far also to devalue on the other side PvE Content like the Legendary Weapons by handing them out as PvP Tournament Rewards for winning a small hand full of PvP Matches that last just only a few minutes …wherefore very many PvEers are grinding their butts off for 2 years and still haven’t seen one single Precursor in their Gaming Life so far since the release of this Game …

PvP doesn’t need better Rewards than PvE!
PvP needs more Gameplay Variety and PvP specific related Rewards, that are in itself interesting and a long term goal that keeps Gamers playing for them cause of being not somethign like the Bathazar Backpiece, that are a fire and forget one time reward

For what the freaking hell need PvPers Gold???
They need no Gold at all!

• Their Equipment is Max from begin on
  • Most of all Runes and Sigils are free from begin on, just only later new added ones have to be unlocked first and ANet could easily come up with a better unlock mechanism that doesn’t require Gold at all.
    Even GW1 had with Balthazar Points a better and cost free non Gold requiring Unlocking System and it could work so easiyl also for GW2 to replace all the stupid Gold Costs in PvP with Rank Points, which are in essence nothing else, than Bathazar Points

GW1 PvP felt more rewarding, because you din’t get there instantly everything shoved for free into your spoiled butts!!
You had to unlock alot more things there, like all the Runes, Upgrades and Skills, what felt naturally then more rewarding and progressive, that what we have here in GW2.
But GW1 also started from begin on with alot more varity of PvP Modes compared to GW2, which has for over 2 years now the same super boring bullcrap, just with a few added new Maps, but those add absolutely nothign new to the overall PvP – its always the same, conque Points, hold points as long as possible and try to get first 500 points as quickly as possible to win the match as you gain quicker points, so more points your team is holding per time period X/Seconds.
Nothing has changed on the concept, nothing different has been added to provide players more diversity, while all the thigns people wish for years still get ignored:

• Dueling and similar forms of this (2v2, 3v3)
  • GvG as Small Scale Guild related WvW)(including Alliance Battles if Guilds could get back Alliances)
  • and a plethora of plenty more possible PvP Modes (Codex Arena, Last Man Standing All vs. All, King of the Hill, Team Arena, Random Arena, Elimination (Mixture of LMS + Team Arena)
  • The Collosseum (PvP with Gladiator Elements, like Traps, Creatures ect.)
  • Survival (Beat as many enemies as possible until you die)
  • Underwater PvP (something inspired maybe from FFX’s Blitzball maybe ??)
  • All activities are PvP anyways, where the hell is Polymock, Target Shooting, Bar Brawls ect. (but thats an other side topic sigh)
Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in PvP

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Part 2:

If PvP would get this attention by expanding it for now alot more with more content, this would be more than rewarding enough.
But Pvpers absolutely need not to get better rewards in regard of getting wealthier reward relationships of gold/per hour, than PvEers, when in the first line pvPers require no gold at all, if Anet wouldn’t have replaced the Glory System with Gold just as a very cheap method to try hard to draw in the first line with this change only more PvE’ers into PvP hopefully.
Thats as said just total nonsense and if PvP should ever get to the point of feeling more rewarding, the best thign Anet could do for now is expand the PvP Gameplay with more exciting content in form of new different Gameplay Modes, remove Gold as reward from PvP completely and change it out again with Glory that should be the PvP unique currency to use that for special PvP related rewards.
Things like:

• Unlocking Upgrades
  • Unlocking Equipment Skins
  • Unlocking Skills
  • Unlocking unique Finishers
  • Unlocking unique Revive Styles
  • Unlocking unique stuff for later Player Housing (PvP centric styled items so that you can see the difference, that you are entering the House of PvP Player over entering that of a PvE player)
  • Unlocking PvP unique Dances
  • Buy with your Rank Points things like:
    - Tomes of Knowledge
    - Glory Boosters
    - Equipment Refiners (Make your Equipment Undestroyable)
    - Unidentified Colors
    - Name Change Contracts
    - Stylist Packs
    - Bags of Gems (really, why do you need Gold, when all what PvPers do with Gold is turning it into Gems, then you could buy directly Gems with Glory)
    - Various Tonics
    - Various Minipets
    - Various Toys

Everything that has do to with Fun, Style, Fashion, Convenience and Utility makes up for good PvP Rewards. It hasn’t to be just Gold.
PvPers shouldn’t play PvP to get wealthy.

PvPers should play in first line only for Fashion, Fun, Competition and Glory!!
Because Wealth is just something, thats required only in PvE and nowhere else.
Anet has to stop luring PvEers into PvP with cheap Gold earning methods.

Instead they should finally begin to cater the PvPers with more real PvP Content to flesh out far more the whole PvP Gameplay of GW2 with more needed diversity!

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

in PvP

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Sorry but I don’t actually believe that PvP should be more rewarding than PvE.

PvP is about skill and nothing more.
PvE is about …. well… “Keeping up with the Joneses.”

Bullbanana!
In pvp you have to actually understand the game, every retarbanana can play PVE… sorry just look at world bosses, afk-1 hitting till the ground… And while we speak about open world we are STILL FORCED to do “CLOSED” one (dungeons, fractals) to actually make income… GW2 has no sense anymore..

I want GW1 back so badly

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in PvP

Firelysm.4967

I agree. Would be a good way of getting pve’ers into PvP as well.

I don’t plan to step one pixelated foot inside any pvp map. Ever. I don’t care how “rewarding” they make it or what shiny they try to place in there to funnel more people. As far as the question goes, I think all game modes should be equally rewarding. It would fit into the whole “play how you want” moto.

The same, i play PVE only because i’m FORCED to, if i want to get enough gold to sustain server, or get nice looking gear, i can only dream what can you guys effort, that we PVP players can only dream about…

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

in PvP

Firelysm.4967

I just don’t see, why so many people see problem in PvP being rewarded outside of tournament…

In gw1 we were rewarded decently, enough that we could buy our own stuff without stepping into PVE world… I can’t describe HOW MUCH I HATE, to go to PVE just to get my gear that i desire… it’s nothing more frustrating to see people from PVE tell you how PVP should be rewarded.

We don’t get decent amount of rewards, or gold that we could buy something with it… ascended armor? We can dream that, legendary is a space far of reach…

Lets keep it simple, PVP and PVE needs to be separated just like GW1 was…
I did enjoy my PVP world, and i did love balanced PVP.

PVE and PVP are currently in very bad shape just because we dont have separated system of balancing skills for each. That’s why this is not so entertaining as GW1 was.

NOTE: I don’t know why farming world bosses spamming mindless amount of KEY 1, IS OK, and rewarded cca 5G+++ per hour, while pvp offers you barely any gold, and drains it all, and yet again there is some PVE guy who goes balm farming, and gets 12gold in 15min for pressing 1 every 5 seconds, please tell me, why should PVE be more rewarding for not even thinking what you press???? …

PVP has 10x more money sinks than PVE, and you still think PVE should be more rewarded.

I did love GW1 for PVP, was expecting more from Arena net, even thought they have engine, power, and focus on PVE, we still deserve something more.

EDIT: and for moderator, i think you’re doing mistake for moving this thread into PVP section, because this is general discussion, and every1 should participate in it! They way you guys move threads, it’s just covering up desire of players.

TRUST ME, when i say 40% people would play PVP if this thing would be more interesting and if you guys would put some more effort in it.

(edited by Firelysm.4967)

in PvP

Posted by: Nitesky.6427

Nitesky.6427

I think it’s important to differentiate between how PvP and PvE players interpret “rewards” respectively. In general, PvE players want more loot, more skins, more gold, more content and what not. For PvP players, however, succeeding at PvP matches is rewarding in itself. To me, it feels very rewarding to win 1v1s, hold caps, rotate effectively and win close games. I couldn’t care less for PvE rewards such as gold, chests or crafting mats. If I want cool skins, I do reward tracks or buy stuff at the trading post with the coins I get from doing matches. In fact, it’s really annoying to get your inventory flooded with PvE garbage after a couple of games. So making PvE and PvP equally rewarding in terms of loot would be a waste of resources.

On top of that, PvE players shouldn’t be “forced” to play PvP for farming rewards, because PvP and PvE are two completely different games. PvP is about skill and competition, not about killing AI bots for farming stuff. If people don’t enjoy the competitive aspects of PvP, they shouldn’t be playing it. Consequently, making PvP more lucrative to PvE players would attract the wrong people, so it’s a bad idea.

However, I like the route Anet are taking to set up a more rewarding PvP infrastructure with the upcoming PvP patch. It won’t be perfect for sure, but it will a step in the right direction. To make PvP REALLY rewarding, the mode needs some sort of meaningful competition. There needs to be some sort of skill indicator, like a visible rating value or exclusive armor skins awarded to the most successful players within a season. Then it will be possible to, at least to a certain extent, measure your skill and track your progress as a PvP player. This will encourage people to improve and make the whole PvP scene more competitive, which would be really awesome. So let’s hope Anet will continue doing the right things with the upcoming patches.

tl dr: PvP and PvE players are attracted to different stuff. Therefore, giving them the same rewards is useless. Rewards should rather be tailored individually to each group.

(edited by Nitesky.6427)

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

That’s false. PVP players have to unlock new amulets/skills/traits with gold, pve players can unlock them for free by playing the appropriate content.

By doing less lucrative content ergo we are losing gold.

So where is this “investment” PVE players must do in order to play?

Do you know the cost of some runes? Rune of strength 13G/piece, perplixity 11 G/piece. So a full set for one character costs 78G/66G, which is less then all runes, amulets and sigils combined (which is 62 G at the moment). Don’t forget an unlock is account wide and can be used multiple times.Then we don’t have to forget amulets, backpieces, weapons, armor,… .

Edit: the gold cost for all pvp traits unlock for one characer is 15G which with 62G for all amulets, sigil and runes is still cheaper then 78G for one rune set.

EverythingOP

(edited by Tim.6450)

in PvP

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

@ Azhure.1857
why not?

if sPvP is about skill, then sPvP players should be richer than PvE players.

PvP is about skill. From a pure PvP perspective, riches gained mean nothing in PvP. They do not increase your skill in combat, tactics, and team play. Nor will they ever.

If you’re actually PvE oriented and just want more for your PvP time — I would say that is a sign that what has already been buffed in regards to PvP rewards isn’t and will never be good enough for you. Trivial pursuits towards who has the largest greatsword or who has the shiniest legendary are best suited for the PvE world.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

in PvP

Azhure.1857

Sorry but I don’t actually believe that PvP should be more rewarding than PvE.

PvP is about skill and nothing more.
PvE is about …. well… “Keeping up with the Joneses.”

Bullbanana!
In pvp you have to actually understand the game, every retarbanana can play PVE… sorry just look at world bosses, afk-1 hitting till the ground… And while we speak about open world we are STILL FORCED to do “CLOSED” one (dungeons, fractals) to actually make income… GW2 has no sense anymore..

I want GW1 back so badly

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make in regards to my post.

in PvP

Azhure.1857

I think it’s important to differentiate between how PvP and PvE players interpret “rewards” respectively. In general, PvE players want more loot, more skins, more gold, more content and what not. For PvP players, however, succeeding at PvP matches is rewarding in itself. To me, it feels very rewarding to win 1v1s, hold caps, rotate effectively and win close games.

+1
Exactly the point I had tried to make.

Pride and victory are the very best PvP rewards. The excess vanity that comes with PvE rewards is not needed. Worse still is if PvP ever became more “profitable” than PvE …. then the farming horde would soon follow to take advantage. The consequences of that scenario are not to be taken lightly.

(edited by Azhure.1857)

in PvP

Posted by: AlexVv.3965

AlexVv.3965

Generally speaking, I do not really understand why Anet not develop the best part of his game – SPVP and WvW. This is what really distinguishes GV2 from countless MMORPGs. Of course, and the work of artists – I love the aesthetics of Gw2, but this is a less significant factor.
Pve … in any game there are tons of beautiful or horrible to draw a monster – zombie, which should be killed, raising level and get the loot. In any PVE game need to kill Mega – Dragon, and Elite boss and stuff. In any PvE game has dungeons and … I hate the word “raid” In fact, in every game Pve same (+/- so what details).
  In my, subjective of course, look, this is not an area where you can highlight.
I’m not saying that the PVE is not necessary to develop – in any case, but why ignore other more potential side?
PVP Gw2 very beautiful and potentially, very original, and really captures the pleasure to play. This is what distinguishes Gw2 from countless peers. As I understand it, Gw1 stand out from competitors in the same. But, instead of really develop this potential – the same maps and modes for years, lower remuneration than in PVE, sometimes there is a sharp the OP one of classes, and as a result, leaving the players. Why destroy the most potential of the game?
PS Sorry for my bad english