Guardians need to be a little less op

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9810

brannigan.9810

You can lose a 2v1 by being epically bad and/or mentally kittened.

in PvP

Posted by: Arthos Ravron.3796

Arthos Ravron.3796

They need to nerf Stand Your Ground.

30 sec cd AoE stability for the group is so ridiculously overbudget. Other classes pay a much steeper cd for a SINGLE player stability cd.

Other classes have viable condition builds, viable ranged weapons and mobility.

Which are those classes. I count only necro and engineer, with spirit ranger somwhat cutting it.

Viable ranged weapons lol. Guardian scepter auto has the highest base damage even if the speed of the projectiles is slower to make up for it. And in a format where close quarters combat is mandated to conserve points, arguing about ranged weapons is moot.

And none of those condition builds or ranged weapons make them mandatory. You can swap a conditionmancer for a spirit ranger or engineer for largely similar results in aoe condition pressure.

You cannot build a team without a guardian bunker. No other class is as essential as a guardian.

Even if it were true, which it isn’t , don’t you think that Guards need less nerfs in terms of the thing they were meant to do? It’s not like Guardians can do anything else in Tournaments because of their wonderfully low base health?

Their DPS spec just needs a kitten snare. That’s about it.

And bring me recent tournament winners who didn’t have a single guardian in their team.

Alright I’m going to list all the possible snares that a guardian can have in a build and you tell me if they need more; 4 second immob, 3 second kd, 2 second kd, ring of warding, line of warding, Binding blade, chains of light, Zealot’s embrace and that’s not including the teleports they have but hey, they need more.

It’s the same as Mesmer condition-cleanse.

The skills that do give condition-cleanse aren’t always viable in the builds that are effective.

Same as the skills that snare aren’t always viable in the builds that are effective for a burst Guard.

Although some of these are viable.

Commander of FoW, Lieutenant of [AKP], and Proud Human and Guardian

“Humanity cannot grasp Utopia for it refuses to be worthy of it”

(edited by Arthos Ravron.3796)

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9810

brannigan.9810

30 sec cd AoE stability for the group is so ridiculously overbudget. Other classes pay a much steeper cd for a SINGLE player stability cd.

Which are those classes. I count only necro and engineer, with spirit ranger somwhat cutting it.

Viable ranged weapons lol. Guardian scepter auto has the highest base damage even if the speed of the projectiles is slower to make up for it. And in a format where close quarters combat is mandated to conserve points, arguing about ranged weapons is moot.

And none of those condition builds or ranged weapons make them mandatory. You can swap a conditionmancer for a spirit ranger or engineer for largely similar results in aoe condition pressure.

You cannot build a team without a guardian bunker. No other class is as essential as a guardian.

Even if it were true, which it isn’t , don’t you think that Guards need less nerfs in terms of the thing they were meant to do? It’s not like Guardians can do anything else in Tournaments because of their wonderfully low base health?

And bring me recent tournament winners who didn’t have a single guardian in their team.

Alright I’m going to list all the possible snares that a guardian can have in a build and you tell me if they need more; 4 second immob, 3 second kd, 2 second kd, ring of warding, line of warding, Binding blade, chains of light, Zealot’s embrace and that’s not including the teleports they have but hey, they need more.

This is a magical build that only exists in a guardian hater’s feeble mind. Why don’t you try listing the crowd control that exists on the two-four weapons a guardian can actually use at any one time. For example you have Binding Blades, Line of Warding,, and Chains of Lights listed which is impossible to have as they are on three different weapons with two of them being TWO HANDED. Also, you can do this with any class list all there CC abilities and make it seems like its a ton in a vacuum. Unless you can show me a spreadsheat that shows the guardians CC versus all other classes I have no clue if its too much, too little, or enough. All I know is I am not going to take your obviously biased opinion for anything lol. Nice try though dude. Really this dreck you vomited it up is no worth then the general dreck people regurgitate to try to prove some bias.

in PvP

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Out of all of those, they are not “snares”.

Beyond the mobility CC aspect of it, you have to think of ease of use and especially frequency of application.

Immobilize on scepter is probably our best bet, but it has a “short” duration on a moderate cooldown. (and you mentioned chains of light twice in that, unless you were referencing the signet mentioned below).

Zealot’s embrace is a 1200 range immobilize…great…but it travels in straight line and will not guide to targets, making it ineffective while mobile past maybe a range of 500ish? Also short duration with moderate cooldown.

ring and line of warding are “ok” but easily bypassed by walking around or even sometimes dodging through it due to knockdown animations sometimes getting you past it. Also ring of warding is slow and immobile, so you can almost never use it on the move, but mostly for area denial at chokepoints. Try using ring of warding while chasing a target and see how often it lands.

The 2 and 3 second knockdowns are provided by bane signet and hammer of wisdom.
I can’t say these are not useful, but they are difficult to incorporate in terms of available utility slots and trait points, as they are placed in slots that are contesting “better” traits to take. Oh, and you can cast bane signet, have the target walk behind you, and it goes on full cooldown….slightly irritating and not effective in melee range.

You left out signet of wrath which has an immobilize on it as well, showing how often people use that signet that it is not on the top of the mind of the players, or at least your unfamiliarity with the class. It has the same issues with bane signet as far as landing an immobilize in melee range due to mobile targets and having better utilities and traits to take instead of this.

Hammer is also prone to damage now, and while you could cast it and activate it right away, that means the hammer is destroyed (unless you spend even more traits on keeping it around after use) and it has really long cast times for summon while in combat and then a second shorter animation for activation of the knockdown.

Another CC ability you didn’t mention was the blowout from hammer, Banish….but this knocks our targets 750 range AWAY from us, so we can’t use that to chase….and it is longer than most of our gap closers (flashing blade and leap of faith).

Our various teleports are flashing blade, judge’s intervention, and merciful intervention.

Flashing blade is good, short at 600 range.
Judges’ intervention is good, long at 1200 range.
But you need a target to use the two abilities or you go nowhere, so you can’t use it as a mobility skill to get away, only to chase.

Merciful intervention is arguably horrible. While you do not need a target, it only teleports you to allies, and it is random in terms of who is closest to you with the lowest HP. In the past it had issues of targeting pets and friendly NPCs, unsure if this is still an issue.

The underlining issue with all the teleports though, is after I closed the gap, I do not have the speed to maintain the chase, nor do I have a snare to keep a target in vicinity to finish the kill. After that the gap closers are on a fairly moderate cooldown before use again. So you land a hit or two, but the target gets away with ease.

Our one snare that we have is Glacial Heart, which has a 100% chase to activate while using hammer on crit every 30 seconds for 4 seconds. This is pretty much a more restrictive sigil of hydromancy or ice. The frequency of application is bad, and the limitation of weapons is bad. The devs are looking directly at this trait as a means to provide guardians snares in combat and they have buffed/tweaked the skill at least twice now with no success.

Either provide more viable snares (not just knockdowns and teleports) for guardians or increase the burst damage done so that for the few short durations a guardian does close the gap, the target should be punished if they do not avoid damage properly with blocks/blinds/evades/dodges/or counter CCs.

I know people would be furious if guardians got more damage, so it seems the answer would settle better with more snares or something to that effect. Soft CCs.

(edited by CMF.5461)

in PvP

Posted by: Relentliss.2170

Relentliss.2170

I think the current Tpvp builds for guardian are pretty balanced. In fact, on the small Conquest map Guardian works pretty well. You can hold out for minute in a 2v1, but if help doesn’t come you will eventually die. If they are good players and good counters you will die a lot quicker. That seems balanced to me. Someone who has no damage being able to tank long enough for help to come. An engineer can do pretty much the same thing but dish out considerable damage in the process. And Necro might even kill the two pretty easily.

Our DPS specs seem to be pretty squishy. If you visit the Guardian forum, people are not asking to 1 shot others or other things. They would just like an improvement to soft CC or mobility. Maybe deep in Zeal something that really helps with surviviability if you spec DPS. Thats all. None of these things would affect or improve the builds people currently run for tournaments.

I am not sure why the OP struggled so much. A ranger, the other guy in the equation, that can kite is a very tough opponent for a guardian. Can tear though all the guardians blocks very quickly while kiting and staying at range. Something suggests to me that this guy is a troll.

We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills, we make all of it optional

Anet lied (where’s the Manifesto now?)

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

What a silly response. All of those are high cd utility slots. A single stability and the stun is gone. The immob is on the scepter, so you hope they don’t cleanse straight away given you have nothing for coverage.

And ring of warding is hammer, which dps guardians don’t use.