Guys stop voting for foefire, really

in PvP

Posted by: SobeSoul.6910

SobeSoul.6910

MOST people who have played many computer RPGS , yes, because that is what they called it in all of them. SO much so, they added it to wiki for a reason. If I were playing candy crush, I would expect them to not know what people meant by pvp.. but not in an mmorpg.

Since I have played most mmorpgs past and present and in every single one of them they called player killing pvp, yea I expect the same would apply here, since this is a mmorpg as well.

mis-use and misconceptions of meanings does not make them fact.
please show me this statistic that claims most people use pvp to mean deathmatch?

By his definition, all open world pvp in all games is pve lol

in PvP

Posted by: BlueDragon.7054

BlueDragon.7054

Considering Forest and Foefire are the only maps with PvE elements lol

No, they just have more pve elements, Courtyard is the only one without them. IF one team is focused on fighting and not capping, the other team can win easily by not fighting. YOU can stun/ bind/ knock back to win as well, and not even kill a single player.

Khylo has no PvE elements. Neither does Temple.

There’s a difference between objectives in a map and PvE.

If the objectives are environmental, it is still player vs environment.
You still have to cap rings to win though, so I see those rings as environmental factors.

And the fact you fight other players over rings doesn’t matter?
It’s PvE because it’s Conquest…

I won’t bother you anymore, but please don’t be surprised if players disagree with you on that.

Even the gamedesigners disagree on you with that

You don’t have to fight players over rings is the issue, not everyone plays that way. I had them run away the whole game.. IF that can happen and they still get points, that is PVE, not PVP. You should not be able to score without killing for it to be considered full pvp. It is PVE with pvp elements when scoring is based on environmental factors rather than killing players.
That isn’t to say it isn’t competitive play, it just isn’t full out player killing.

I agree, but PvP isn’t the definition of players Killing other players.

Wiki quote:
“Player(s) versus player(s), or PvP, is a type of multiplayer interactive conflict within a game between two or more live participants”

It states conflict, not the act of killing the other players.

So you might not enjoy it, the facts state it’s PvP wether the enemy has to be killed or not. So in conquest the conflict resolves about who’s controlling the rings.

Like WvW, which has a conflict over rings aka Towers/Keeps

talking to a brick wall isnt really worth it.
he has his own personal definition of what pvp is and therefore no matter what the REAL definition is he wont accept it.

plus what i find funny is by his concept of pve then everything is pve and pvp doesnt exist in any game anywhere. cause every game takes place in an environment that is not player controlled. /headmeetwall

Their stance is just that only deathmatch is pvp, even though it’s just a mode among pvp, whether it is MMOs or first person shooters or whatever.

pvp = player killing became popular in rpgs primarily, and then carried over to FPS, and other genres.

Actually, the wiki states:
" In computer role-playing games, PvP is sometimes called player killing or PKing."

This means that it’s not a fact, but players prefer calling it like that.
Though, GW2 doesn’t call PvP player killing otherwise we’d only have TDM.

It’s nice you’ve found a lot of other games that do fit within your idea of PvP.
Guild Wars does not fit in it, so yay to you but you’re wrong.

At least regarding GW2.

That is like saying that " sometimes a dude is referring to a guy…"

If that is what many people understand it to be, that is what they expect.

You’re just assuming some words holds your definition, because you agree that most people think the same way as you.

Just because it might be popular to some, doesn’t mean it counts for the entire population.

You should start a thread in WvW, how WvW is actually PvE because of your definition. Wonder how that will turn out

MOST people who have played many computer RPGS , yes, because that is what they called it in all of them. SO much so, they added it to wiki for a reason. If I were playing candy crush, I would expect them to not know what people meant by pvp.. but not in an mmorpg.

Since I have played most mmorpgs past and present and in every single one of them they called player killing pvp, yea I expect the same would apply here, since this is a mmorpg as well.

The wiki also says “Player killing, or PKing, is non-consensual PvP”…..

in PvP

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

please show me this statistic that claims most people use pvp to mean deathmatch?

It isn’t a misuse of the word.

SO wiki telling you that is what people call it isn;t good enough? How many games you want?
Dark souls:
“What happens in PvP?
Two or more players fight to the death.”
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/pvp

Darkfall:
“Darkfall is a full loot PvP game which means that if you are killed by another player they can take anything that you were carrying at the time.”
http://team-dignitas.net/articles/blogs/Article/5332/Darkfall-Unholy-Wars-The-MMO-youve-never-heard-of

Hell even the joke of a kitten Runescape game calls it that:
“Player killing (commonly known as PKing, player vs. player, or PvP”
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Player_killing

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

Considering Forest and Foefire are the only maps with PvE elements lol

No, they just have more pve elements, Courtyard is the only one without them. IF one team is focused on fighting and not capping, the other team can win easily by not fighting. YOU can stun/ bind/ knock back to win as well, and not even kill a single player.

Khylo has no PvE elements. Neither does Temple.

There’s a difference between objectives in a map and PvE.

If the objectives are environmental, it is still player vs environment.
You still have to cap rings to win though, so I see those rings as environmental factors.

And the fact you fight other players over rings doesn’t matter?
It’s PvE because it’s Conquest…

I won’t bother you anymore, but please don’t be surprised if players disagree with you on that.

Even the gamedesigners disagree on you with that

You don’t have to fight players over rings is the issue, not everyone plays that way. I had them run away the whole game.. IF that can happen and they still get points, that is PVE, not PVP. You should not be able to score without killing for it to be considered full pvp. It is PVE with pvp elements when scoring is based on environmental factors rather than killing players.
That isn’t to say it isn’t competitive play, it just isn’t full out player killing.

I agree, but PvP isn’t the definition of players Killing other players.

Wiki quote:
“Player(s) versus player(s), or PvP, is a type of multiplayer interactive conflict within a game between two or more live participants”

It states conflict, not the act of killing the other players.

So you might not enjoy it, the facts state it’s PvP wether the enemy has to be killed or not. So in conquest the conflict resolves about who’s controlling the rings.

Like WvW, which has a conflict over rings aka Towers/Keeps

talking to a brick wall isnt really worth it.
he has his own personal definition of what pvp is and therefore no matter what the REAL definition is he wont accept it.

plus what i find funny is by his concept of pve then everything is pve and pvp doesnt exist in any game anywhere. cause every game takes place in an environment that is not player controlled. /headmeetwall

Their stance is just that only deathmatch is pvp, even though it’s just a mode among pvp, whether it is MMOs or first person shooters or whatever.

pvp = player killing became popular in rpgs primarily, and then carried over to FPS, and other genres.

Actually, the wiki states:
" In computer role-playing games, PvP is sometimes called player killing or PKing."

This means that it’s not a fact, but players prefer calling it like that.
Though, GW2 doesn’t call PvP player killing otherwise we’d only have TDM.

It’s nice you’ve found a lot of other games that do fit within your idea of PvP.
Guild Wars does not fit in it, so yay to you but you’re wrong.

At least regarding GW2.

That is like saying that " sometimes a dude is referring to a guy…"

If that is what many people understand it to be, that is what they expect.

You’re just assuming some words holds your definition, because you agree that most people think the same way as you.

Just because it might be popular to some, doesn’t mean it counts for the entire population.

You should start a thread in WvW, how WvW is actually PvE because of your definition. Wonder how that will turn out

Really there is no such thing as non consensual fighting in guild wars because there are safe zones, pk in that usage is for games without safe zones.. LOL

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

By his definition, all open world pvp in all games is pve lol

The open world itself is pve, you can craft, mine resources ect.. which are all pve elements.. I mainly played full loot no safe zone pvp games so yea, that part is considered pve, some games they can even kill your bank! We only considered actually fighting players to be the pvp elements.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I mainly played full loot no safe zone pvp games so yea,

Any chance you base your opinion 100% on your previous experience in games?
Don’t want to call you stubborn, but if that’s all you know and go by – I don’t think you’ve got a lot of experience with other forms of PvP…

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

It does when those objectives are in the environment by definition of what PVE means. Player vs environment is exactly that.

If the player is forced to kill the other players to win, that is pvp, that isn’t the case with any map but courtyard.

i challenge you to win a game in ranked/unranked q without attacking another player. even get a team together and none of you attack another player. let me know how that works for you.

I have already done this, it is actually very easy to win without killing if you go in with your guild and you bind/ stun/ chill knock back the crap out of them.. They just cannot move the whole game, and yea they get angry to say the least . LOL

I will go grab 4 eotm pugs. We will do khylo. if you can beat me and my pugs without killing a single one of us I will give you 100 gold. If you can’t all I want is you come back here and say you were wrong. Sound fair?

No, since I am not even on the game right now, nor can I get on the game right now, nor is anyone from my guild to play you. You have to spec all the builds to be able to play that way, and that takes effort…

lmao!
what a total joke

You would have to raise the stakes to make that worth anyone’s time. That is only 20g a piece split, I spend more than that on getting nubs to scout towers. LOL

First you counter his offer by saying you’re unable at this time
Then you counter his offer by saying it’s very time consuming doing it
Then you counter his offer by saying he isn’t paying you enough for it?

Since multiple people have already questioned you, wouldn’t it be very rewarding to proof you are right? Even if you know you’re right (Which I don’t think), wouldn’t it be awesome to put some evidence in their face of how right you are?!

I have to get 4 other people to change all their traits/ gear/ skillset to do it. I am not going to ask them for a measly 20g on the line. LOL We just bought my friend a legendary.. make it worth their time to show up. I don;t farm on this game, gold comes easy for credit card users.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

It does when those objectives are in the environment by definition of what PVE means. Player vs environment is exactly that.

If the player is forced to kill the other players to win, that is pvp, that isn’t the case with any map but courtyard.

i challenge you to win a game in ranked/unranked q without attacking another player. even get a team together and none of you attack another player. let me know how that works for you.

I have already done this, it is actually very easy to win without killing if you go in with your guild and you bind/ stun/ chill knock back the crap out of them.. They just cannot move the whole game, and yea they get angry to say the least . LOL

I will go grab 4 eotm pugs. We will do khylo. if you can beat me and my pugs without killing a single one of us I will give you 100 gold. If you can’t all I want is you come back here and say you were wrong. Sound fair?

No, since I am not even on the game right now, nor can I get on the game right now, nor is anyone from my guild to play you. You have to spec all the builds to be able to play that way, and that takes effort…

Ok. I’m not either. My stance is I can give you all the planning in the world but you won’t beat me without killing any of us no matter how you build. Accepted? I’ll give you as much time as you need all I need is pugs.

SO what you are saying is you are a better player than the scrubs we played before so we will have to kill you and just chain the pugs instead? Silly, what is that going to prove?

No what I’m saying is you are lying about winning a game without killing any players. I’m not claiming to be a good pvper in fact I’ve claimed the opposite quite a few times. Which should make it even easier on you to defeat me and 4 eotm pugs without killing any of us. I think it’s clear you know you are wrong at this point and I’m probably just being a big ol meanie right now but I can up the stakes if you like. However since I am upping the stakes to 100 gold per player on your team I would request you use players from your guild without outside help.

Btw UO is the game I came from, ffa pvp I went by NeXeD there on Atl. I was also an avid darkfall player Cisco Twister.

Changing traits and gear? So you haven’t even pvped in this game yet have you…… just sit down.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

(edited by NeXeD.3042)

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

I mainly played full loot no safe zone pvp games so yea,

Any chance you base your opinion 100% on your previous experience in games?
Don’t want to call you stubborn, but if that’s all you know and go by – I don’t think you’ve got a lot of experience with other forms of PvP…

Of course I base my experience from past games, as the guilds that played those games are playing this one as well. Guilds hop from game to game, this is just one of many they play…
I have just about every game ever made, and have played MANY mmorpgs, not just a few. I have experienced MANY other forms of competitive multiplayer environments, but that is what they call them instead of pvp.. I have a turbo graphix 16 and a betrayal in Antara game for cryin out loud..

WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

Ok. I’m not either. My stance is I can give you all the planning in the world but you won’t beat me without killing any of us no matter how you build. Accepted? I’ll give you as much time as you need all I need is pugs.

SO what you are saying is you are a better player than the scrubs we played before so we will have to kill you and just chain the pugs instead? Silly, what is that going to prove?

No what I’m saying is you are lying about winning a game without killing any players. I’m not claiming to be a good pvper in fact I’ve claimed the opposite quite a few times. Which should make it even easier on you to defeat me and 4 eotm pugs without killing any of us. I think it’s clear you know you are wrong at this point and I’m probably just being a big ol meanie right now but I can up the stakes if you like. However since I am upping the stakes to 100 gold per player on your team I would request you use players from your guild without outside help.

Btw UO is the game I came from, ffa pvp I went by NeXeD there on Atl. I was also an avid darkfall player Cisco Twister.

Changing traits and gear? So you haven’t even pvped in this game yet have you…… just sit down.

Why would my guild need outside help? Who is holding the money to ensure we get our cut and you are not just BSing? Can we use our arena?

Yes, you do change your traits and gear depending on what you are going to buff. I have 6 sets of gear, with different runes on them for each character, don’t you?

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

Why would my guild need outside help? Who is holding the money to ensure we get our cut and you are not just BSing? Can we use our arena?

we would use third party for both arena and gold holder. I’m sure your familiar with using brokers in pvp fights since you have alot of experience in other games. I can think of quite a few people I would trust, best bet is probably to use a reputable guild.

The outside help thing is just to ensure some very highly skilled players don’t just try this for a pay day.

I hope you understand the premise here before you agree to doing this fight. You cannot kill any of us. There is no stipulations saying we can’t just kill you over and over.

(edited by NeXeD.3042)

in PvP

Posted by: Mouseheart.8672

Mouseheart.8672

last night i started getting really annoyed with the map selector, 4-5 games in a row on this dang map. it only ever happens when i play ranked q. so boring to do the same map over and over again.

@lil devils
Player vs Player
Whats not pvp about conquest maps?

Player vs Player is KILLING other players, Player vs Environment is interacting with the environment. When the environmental elements are the primary focus it is a PVE centered game with PVP elements, you can kill players to win, but it is not necessary to win. That isn’t full PVP. The only full PVP map they have is courtyard, the rest are PVE maps with PVP elements.

So, wait, the VS in PvP is killing, but the VS in PvE is interacting. Now, that doesn’t make sense. What does the VS in WvW stand for? I hope it stands for dance off. Yes. That would be nice.

Cool engineers don’t look at explosions.

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

we would use third party for both arena and gold holder. I’m sure your familiar with using brokers in pvp fights since you have alot of experience in other games. I can think of quite a few people I would trust, best bet is probably to use a reputable guild.

The outside help thing is just to ensure some very highly skilled players don’t just try this for a pay day.

Some in my guilds ARE highly skilled players though. LOL

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

last night i started getting really annoyed with the map selector, 4-5 games in a row on this dang map. it only ever happens when i play ranked q. so boring to do the same map over and over again.

@lil devils
Player vs Player

Player vs Player is KILLING other players, Player vs Environment is interacting with the environment. When the environmental elements are the primary focus it is a PVE centered game with PVP elements, you can kill players to win, but it is not necessary to win. That isn’t full PVP. The only full PVP map they have is courtyard, the rest are PVE maps with PVP elements.

So, wait, the VS in PvP is killing, but the VS in PvE is interacting. Now, that doesn’t make sense. What does the VS in WvW stand for? I hope it stands for dance off. Yes. That would be nice.

Wvw was adverstised as having pve in it, so you expect it to be there.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

You can use those players. it really doesn’t matter who you use there is no way you can win a game without killing any of us.

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

You can use those players. it really doesn’t matter who you use there is no way you can win a game without killing any of us.

I don’t think you understand how that happened, and it ALSO makes it more difficult if you tell everyone be prepared for that b4 battle. They weren’t expecting it to happen, you will be. You don’t just hand over the play book and expect them to not be prepared for it. Since you already know the gameplan, you should be the only who pays if we can or cannot do it. Everything was made to be countered in the game and if you are prepared to counter of course we will have the kill you. Most people aren;t prepared for people trying to just stop them and not kill them though, and that is why it works.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

make sure you record it

even though i doubt it will happen, he’ll just make up excuse after excuse

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Mouseheart.8672

@lil devils
Player vs Player

My point – aside from being kittening hilarious – was that the versus in Player versus Player (PvP) and Player versus Environment (PvE) does not have some fixed meaning. The versus in PvP does not only stand for killing, it stands for killing, engaging, interacting, outsmarting, outplaying, out-rotating and so on. So no, you do not have “pve inside pvp, because you can fire a treb on Khylo or channel a buff on temple”, because these things are ultimately done to win a match against another team.

Its like saying tennis is not PvP because you’re only hitting a ball!

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

@lil devils
Player vs Player

My point – aside from being kittening hilarious – was that the versus in Player versus Player (PvP) and Player versus Environment (PvE) does not have some fixed meaning. The versus in PvP does not only stand for killing, it stands for killing, engaging, interacting, outsmarting, outplaying, out-rotating and so on. So no, you do not have “pve inside pvp, because you can fire a treb on Khylo or channel a buff on temple”, because these things are ultimately done to win a match against another team.

Of course words have multiple meaning, but in regards to rpgs, most people understand pvp to mean pking. they can be used as synonyms for one another.

If a word is a synonym for the other, people assume that to be one of the meanings of the word.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

BlueDragon.7054

Really there is no such thing as non consensual fighting in guild wars because there are safe zones, pk in that usage is for games without safe zones.. LOL

That means that in mmorpg context player killing is not synonym of pvp and you were generalizing the term pvp for pc mmorpg games. In mmorpg games the term pk is used also in games that have safe zones as long as not all the zones are safe.

(edited by BlueDragon.7054)

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

That means that in mmorpg context player killing is not synonym of pvp and you were generalizing the term pvp for pc mmorpg games. In mmorpg games the term pk is used also in games that have safe zones as long as not all the zones are safe.

Wiki already stated that it was, multiple games already stated that it was, different meanings of the same word, depends on it’s usage. pvp = pking to many people who play computer rpgs. Pking can mean non consensual killing, but that is not it’s most common usage.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

NeXeD.3042

I don’t think you understand how that happened, and it ALSO makes it more difficult if you tell everyone be prepared for that b4 battle. They weren’t expecting it to happen, you will be. You don’t just hand over the play book and expect them to not be prepared for it. Since you already know the gameplan, you should be the only who pays if we can or cannot do it. Everything was made to be countered in the game and if you are prepared to counter of course we will have the kill you. Most people aren;t prepared for people trying to just stop them and not kill them though, and that is why it works.

You are lying. That game never happened. Someone died. It’s not that people wouldn’t know how to prepare to fight a team that’s not going to kill them and try to just hold the points. It just cannot happen Unless both teams fighting refused to kill each other. And I am the only one whose going to pay. You just have to come here and admit you were wrong.

in PvP

Mouseheart.8672

@lil devils
Player vs Player

Of course words have multiple meaning, but in regards to rpgs, most people understand pvp to mean pking. they can be used as synonyms for one another.

If a word is a synonym for the other, people assume that to be one of the meanings of the word.

I’d respectfully disagree, because capture the flag, conquest, death match, team death match, objetive oriented play (i.e. rescue hostages, plant a bomb) are all considered PvP modes, in and outside of MMORPGs. You do not speak for a silent majority if you say “but I think only PK should count as PvP!”, because you are simply not speaking for a silent majority, you’re just making that up to have a point aside from “me, me, my opinion, what I say is right!” and frankly, by doing so, you kitten over things established in gaming since the glory days of quake and doom multiplayer.

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

You are lying. That game never happened. Someone died. It’s not that people wouldn’t know how to prepare to fight a team that’s not going to kill them and try to just hold the points. It just cannot happen Unless both teams fighting refused to kill each other. And I am the only one whose going to pay. You just have to come here and admit you were wrong.

YES, it does happen, and not only when we did so. It would not even be hard to do it again against players who were not expecting it. Having you know the plan however, makes that much more difficult. Hell, I could just make sure we bring our Youtuber with us when playing randoms and record it and make it happen for ya if you wanted. Having you know what we are going to do before hand is a whole different story, as you will be prepared for it.
( EDIT: YES someone died, Our team had deaths, you can have deaths and still win.)

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

@lil devils
Player vs Player

I’d respectfully disagree, because capture the flag, conquest, death match, team death match, objetive oriented play (i.e. rescue hostages, plant a bomb) are all considered PvP modes, in and outside of MMORPGs. You do not speak for a silent majority if you say “but I think only PK should count as PvP!”, because you are simply not speaking for a silent majority, you’re just making that up to have a point aside from “me, me, my opinion, what I say is right!” and frankly, by doing so, you kitten over things established in gaming since the glory days of quake and doom multiplayer.

Those elements are what they usually call "competitive multiplayer " rather than straight up pvp though. Those game modes usually ALSO allow you to kill other players, thus what most consider pvp.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

oneply.9586

put up or shut up

and you are the first person ever in 20+ years of gaming that i have ever heard say that pk and pvp are the same thing.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

(edited by oneply.9586)

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

put up or shut up

and you are the first person ever in 20+ years of gaming that i have ever heard say that pk and pvp are the same thing.

DID you bother to read the links above? They said it too. You must not have gotten out much. FYI DARKFALL called pvp pking. I played that as well, if you didn’t hear it called that, what were you doing thew whole time?

So if I have our youtuber record our matches you will pay us 100g each for winning without killing anyone? They can kill us.. we just cannot kill them.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

BlueDragon.7054

@lil devils
Player vs Player

If most people understand pvp to mean pking there would be someone agreeing with you already. But at least in this post everyone has disagreed with you by now.

in PvP

oneply.9586

even in darkfall, a game built on a type of pvp called open world pvp or more commonly referred to as pk, people understood what pvp actually refers to.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

@lil devils
Player vs Player

If most people understand pvp to mean pking there would be someone agreeing with you already. But at least in this post everyone has disagreed with you by now.

There have only been the same few people posting here., however, I have linked wiki, darkfall, darksouls and runescape links that state otherwise… that isn’t just " 3 people" LOL

Oh and there is this..
http://thesaurus.babylon.com/Player%20killing#!!7NGMCAKZYE

Synonym of Player killing

De Nederlandstalige Wikipedia – De vrije encyclopedie
PVP
Stichting PVP, stichting voor vertrouwenswerk in de zorg
PvP, een Amerikaanse webcomic
Polyvinylpyrrolidon, een polymeer bekomen door polymerisatie van het monomeer N-vinylpyrrolidon
Petit Véhicule Protégé, een Frans legervoertuig
Player versus player, een gevecht tussen twee spelers in een video- of computerspel
PVP, een Zwitserse hiphopband

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

@lil devils
Player vs Player

There have only been the same few people posting here., however, I have linked wiki, darkfall, darksouls and runescape links that state otherwise… that isn’t just " 3 people" LOL

The funny thing is you use “Look how many people” argument in your favor, but everyone who disagrees with you isn’t just them – as you’ve maybe got a lot of people claiming the same, so does our side.

So it’s an argument you can’t use in this situation.

It’s preference, not fact.

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

put up or shut up

DID you bother to read the links above? They said it too. You must not have gotten out much. FYI DARKFALL called pvp pking. I played that as well, if you didn’t hear it called that, what were you doing thew whole time?

So if I have our youtuber record our matches you will pay us 100g each for winning without killing anyone? They can kill us.. we just cannot kill them.

I think the added stipulation of ranked or unranked queue should also be added.

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

@lil devils
Player vs Player

The funny thing is you use “Look how many people” argument in your favor, but everyone who disagrees with you isn’t just them – as you’ve maybe got a lot of people claiming the same, so does our side.

So it’s an argument you can’t use in this situation.

It’s preference, not fact.

it is one thing to not be aware of something, it is another to attempt to tell someone that what they are aware of is wrong. I have shown in the wiki, dictionary and other games that pvp is interchangeable with Player killing. However, you guys are arguing it is not, no matter how many references I link showing it being used as such and being listed as a synonym. LOL
FACT : that dictionary listed it as a synonym.
FACT: other games say it is.
FACT: wiki says people call pvp pking.
So yea.. there’s that.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

put up or shut up

He said we were fighting pugs, so would that not be unranked? LOL

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

oneply.9586

it is one thing to not be aware of something, it is another to attempt to tell someone that what they are aware of is wrong. I have shown in the wiki, dictionary and other games that pvp is interchangeable with Player killing. However, you guys are arguing it is not, no matter how many references I link showing it being used as such and being listed as a synonym. LOL

no all you linked was games discussing their versions of pvp. how a game defines pvp is up to them.
the dictionary and wiki clearly state that it sometimes used to mean the same as pk, which means they are acknowledging that it is commonly mis-used.
neither support you.

cognitive dissonance is a dangerous thing.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

put up or shut up

Could easily be hotjoin.

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

put up or shut up

Could easily be hotjoin.

You know I thought of a better offer. He should pay the first person who posts a youtube video of their team winning without killing anyone, since this is actually easy to do when the other team doesn’t know they are doing it.
It is only hard to do if the other team is expecting it.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

oneply.9586

read the whole thing.

Player(s) versus player(s), or PvP, is a type of multiplayer interactive conflict within a game between two or more live participants.1 This is in contrast to games where players compete against computer controlled opponents and/or players, which is correspondingly referred to as player versus environment (PvE). The terms are most often used in games where both activities exist,2 particularly MMORPGs, MUDs, and other role-playing video games.

PvP can be broadly used to describe any game, or aspect of a game, where players compete against each other. In computer role-playing games, PvP is sometimes called player killing or PKing

“sometimes called”
that doesn’t mean that pvp is the same as player killing, that means that people sometimes use pvp the same as pk. rhetoric matters.

lets continue

Player killing[edit]
Player killing, or PKing, is non-consensual PvP resulting in a character’s death.

oo look at that, in the same article they are defining PK as a TYPE of pvp.

and how about this snipit:

A more rare form of player killing involves inciting a monster or monsters to attack another player.

uh oh that sounds like YOUR definition of pve….

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

(edited by oneply.9586)

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

no all you linked was games discussing their versions of pvp. how a game defines pvp is up to them.
the dictionary and wiki clearly state that it sometimes used to mean the same as pk, which means they are acknowledging that it is commonly mis-used.
neither support you.

cognitive dissonance is a dangerous thing.

“Player killing (commonly known as PKing, player vs. player, or PvP”
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Player_killing
what does that say to you?
How about the thesaurus link to pvp being listed as a synonym to “Player killing” ? That is just “their version” right? LMAO! ridiculous.

http://thesaurus.babylon.com/Player%20killing#!!7NGMCAKZYE
No not once are they stating it is misused. That is false. Please show where they state it is misused. They do not, because it is not. That is silly.. Now you claim wiki and The Thesaurus are wrong because you say so. mhmm..

Of course player killing is a type of pvp. Nobody argues that PK is not PvP. We are all just saying that PK is not the ONLY thing PvP stands for.

No one said it was, just that was the most common usage in computer rpgs.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

read the whole thing.
“Player(s) versus player(s), or PvP, is a type of multiplayer interactive conflict within a game between two or more live participants.1 This is in contrast to games where players compete against computer controlled opponents and/or players, which is correspondingly referred to as player versus environment (PvE). The terms are most often used in games where both activities exist,2 particularly MMORPGs, MUDs, and other role-playing video games.”

PvP can be broadly used to describe any game, or aspect of a game, where players compete against each other. In computer role-playing games, PvP is sometimes called player killing or PKing"

“sometimes called”
that doesn’t mean that pvp is the same as player killing, that means that people sometimes use pvp the same as pk. rhetoric matters.

lets continue
“Player killing[edit]
Player killing, or PKing, is non-consensual PvP resulting in a character’s death.”

“A more rare form of player killing involves inciting a monster or monsters to attack another player. "

You left out the part that applies here. ’ In computer rpgs " we are not playing any game used to describe it. what are we playing? OH yea.. PK = pvp in computer Rpgs. computer MMORPG is a type of computer RPG..
You are just being silly now. LOL
You read the thesaurus and the other game links too?

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

oneply.9586

read the whole thing.
“Player(s) versus player(s), or PvP, is a type of multiplayer interactive conflict within a game between two or more live participants.1 This is in contrast to games where players compete against computer controlled opponents and/or players, which is correspondingly referred to as player versus environment (PvE). The terms are most often used in games where both activities exist,2 particularly MMORPGs, MUDs, and other role-playing video games.”

PvP can be broadly used to describe any game, or aspect of a game, where players compete against each other. In computer role-playing games, PvP is sometimes called player killing or PKing"

“sometimes called”

lets continue
“Player killing[edit]
Player killing, or PKing, is non-consensual PvP resulting in a character’s death.”

“A more rare form of player killing involves inciting a monster or monsters to attack another player. "

You left out the part that applies here. ’ In computer rpgs " we are not playing any game used to describe it. what are we playing? OH yea.. PK = pvp in computer Rpgs. computer MMORPG is a type of computer RPG..

you really dont understand rhetoric do you?

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Plus many people don’t play the Foefire mechanic effectively, yet they always choose Foefire. Also, Foefire has such a big node that it hurts many builds that’re successful in bunking nodes.
In addition, it is one of the more PUGs unfriendly maps, that you basically just feed the premade wins if they’re anywhere decent. It’s a map that nodes and team support are easily covered, and a map that favors lord rush for quick win, which is a category PuGs doesn’t do well.

That’s why if courtyard, spirit watch, and skyhammer does not pop, I never pick Foefire.
Well, at least it’s less trollish than Skyhammer.

(edited by Aomine.5012)

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

read the whole thing.

“sometimes called”

lets continue
“Player killing[edit]

Sry we apparently are not allowed to derail this thread, so we can only discuss, the topic, which was not voting for foefire. I had no intention to derail the thread, I just replied on this issue of courtyard. I will not vote for foefire, and will instead vote for courtyard because I see that as the only full pvp map and will not participate in derailing the thread any further.

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

Plus many people don’t play the Foefire mechanic effectively, yet they always choose Foefire. Also, Foefire has such a big node that it hurts many builds that’re successful in bunking nodes.
In addition, it is one of the more PUGs unfriendly maps, that you basically just feed the premade wins if they’re anywhere decent. It’s a map that nodes and team support are easily covered, and a map that favors lord rush for quick win, which is a category PuGs doesn’t do well.

That’s why if courtyard, spirit watch, and skyhammer does not pop, I never pick Foefire.

I agree, skyhammer is the ultimate trolling map, that is why I think it should be burnt with fire though. LOL

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

Posted by: SuzukiMethod.4732

SuzukiMethod.4732

read the whole thing.

In what other game, besides multiplayer rpgs’s is this type of pk likely exactly?

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

read the whole thing.

In what other game, besides multiplayer rpgs’s is this type of pk likely exactly?

CORPG for one,for example, GW1:

http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Competitive_online_role-playing_game

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I agree, skyhammer is the ultimate trolling map, that is why I think it should be burnt with fire though. LOL

Yeah, many people defend this map by telling you learn your positioning skill, while playing those trollish focus/ GS mesmer, and double/triple fear classes.
Bunch of Hypicrints.

I’d change their wording to: learn to play trollish build if you want to compete in Trollhammer.

in PvP

oneply.9586

read the whole thing.

“sometimes called”

lets continue
“Player killing[edit]

Sry we apparently are not allowed to derail this thread, so we can only discuss, the topic, which was not voting for foefire. I had no intention to derail the thread, I just replied on this issue of courtyard. I will not vote for foefire, and will instead vote for courtyard because I see that as the only full pvp map and will not participate in derailing the thread any further.

umm ok…??
i’d say see you on the battlefield, but since you dont play i guess that wont happen. cheers anyway.

courtyard would be alot better with longer respawns and if people realized there is more than 1 exit

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

lil devils x.6071

read the whole thing.

“sometimes called”

lets continue
“Player killing[edit]

umm ok…??
i’d say see you on the battlefield, but since you dont play i guess that wont happen. cheers anyway.

courtyard would be alot better with longer respawns and if people realized there is more than 1 exit

It would also be nice if they just allowed you to choose the map you want to play on for random matches than just having people who have different play styles all mashed together. I personally would like more maps like courtyard, different scenery. No one should be forced to play a map they hate simply because one person chose it. I DO PLAY, btw, so yea we can play when I am able to actually get on the game ( not at my PC atm)

WvW / PVP ONLY

in PvP

oneply.9586

It would also be nice if they just allowed you to choose the map you want to play on for random matches than just having people who have different play styles all mashed together. I personally would like more maps like courtyard, different scenery. No one should be forced to play a map they hate simply because one person chose it. I DO PLAY, btw, so yea we can play when I am able to actually get on the game ( not at my PC atm)

i truly wish this game had TDM or Arena modes.
but not maps like courtyard, thats a BAD map for any game mode.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!