HELP! Dealing with Engineers.

in PvP

Posted by: Limitbreaker.4176

Limitbreaker.4176

Does any1 else find Engineers are very hard to deal with in PVP?

I mainly play solo as a Mesmer and Warrior. Against Engineers my Mesmer has about a half win ratio, but as a warrior I have lost every single battle against those dang Engineers. They are extremely effective with the Supply Crate elite, as well as bombs & grenades, very dodgy, and high toughness. My best warrior setup vs Engineers so far is Sword/xxx, this is probably Sword2 make melee combat easier to navigate.

So I was wondering if any1 can give me any tips of how to deal with Engineers.

And also any tips on how to navigate melee combat more effectively.

in PvP

Posted by: jonnis.2946

jonnis.2946

Most of the Engineers damage (assuming they’re running the bombs/grenades that youre talking about) happens in AoE’s. They have incendiary powder, a long burn, and the pistol #2 hits quite hard, but otherwise to be getting damage from them you have to be close to them, or getting hit by all their nades.

For warrior I would suggest a condition based sword/sword longbow set up, theyre quite weak to conditions generally. Really though the way to beat them is to kite around and stay out of melee range, whether it be for the grenades or bombs. Cleansing Ire will also help you immensely when playing against the typical rabid spec, Warriors pretty much have the best condi clear in the game, able to get 3 every 5 seconds (theoretically), so they really shouldnt be too much of a problem for you whether youre playing hambow or condiwarr.

Supply crate its true is a very powerful elite in a 1v1 situation. hit a few aoes near the turret as soon as its down to get rid of them though.

(edited by jonnis.2946)

in PvP

Posted by: jebro.6370

jebro.6370

LIMIT! This is the kind of thread thats great in a forum! it generates discussion instead of the whining and complaining about so called op meta builds.

For me as an engineer if I pop my elite supply kit and someone aoe’s the hell out of the turrets etc thats gonna be an issue!

With the turrets theres an immobolise and I get the medpacks on the floor to heal. You can see the animation so watch out for that, its tough to spot especially on an asura.

Id say a hammer is great for taking out the supply kit turrets for sure. If an engie is using nades, you need to gap close on your warrior, on mesmer its tough as he can take you out easilly whilst running away. If the nade engi is kiting you, just do it back. Not sure how your playing your mesmer exactly so maybe post a spec if thats cool.

Engineers are tough to take out, with poison and chill on nades and then a reduced cooldown on their traits nades alone can be a right pain. BUT they have limite condition removal. The healing turret does do this every 15 seconds or so, but its not as much as others may have. SO, condi the hell out of him, not at first but wait for that turret to go down when hes used it condi him up if poss.

I hope any of that info helps. I play the specs you may be having probs against so if youd like to duel one day Ill gladly help out

Cheers

Jebro

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

Go for hambow + cleansing ire. You should not have so much problems with engis. They are a hard setup for warrior but Hambow is OP dude. You should not lose all 1vs1s

in PvP

Posted by: Paolo.1467

Paolo.1467

If you are talking about 30/10/0/20/10 (bomb, nade, EG) you can:

- CC them to death (they can too but war has stability)
- Use CleasingIre when have long burn or confusion (engi bleed is not so high)
- Dont run behinde them (Bomb-nade hit so hard and have lots of soft CC)
- Supply drop has a very long and visible cast animation (dodge, interrupt, bling, leap away)
- Burst condition after HT detonate (HT is the only condi remove we have)
- Stay away from granade 5 poison (few second in the puddle can output 1min poison)
- Use berserk stance when engi swap to granade (main source of condition)
- If engi run TK pay attention to TK 5 pull skill (use stability, dodge, blinde or if cant use berzerk stance)

I run engi and a good war can give me truble, if played right a war can kill a good engi.

About mesmer, i way too hard, in a fair pvp is hard that a mesmer kill a good engi

PS: sorry if i made english mistake

in PvP

Limitbreaker.4176

Wow! Thanks for the tips guys.

LIMIT! This is the kind of thread thats great in a forum! it generates discussion instead of the whining and complaining about so called op meta builds.

LOL. Initially I was mad about their OPness, but after some thought I dismissed that since I was doing ok with Mesmer and moderate success with Condi Warrior. Besides they are not easy to play.

Supply crate its true is a very powerful elite in a 1v1 situation. hit a few aoes near the turret as soon as its down to get rid of them though.

Yeah I hate that Elite, gets me every time. I need to learn to watch for the animation.

Go for hambow + cleansing ire. You should not have so much problems with engis. They are a hard setup for warrior but Hambow is OP dude. You should not lose all 1vs1s

I used to go Sw/Sw or Sw/Shield with Bow and was weak against inanimated objects. So I’m gonna give the hammer a try.

Thanks

in PvP

Limitbreaker.4176

on mesmer its tough as he can take you out easilly whilst running away. If the nade engi is kiting you, just do it back. Not sure how your playing your mesmer exactly so maybe post a spec if thats cool.

This is what I like to run on my mesmer: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQNAR8alwzKqHTzmGbNJipHBnvBcnFg+w2VShtdhA-T0Ag0CoIKSVkrITRyisFN+Y9xOizHvPA

I sometimes swap out Blink for others like Feedback, or Nullfield. Currently I like to run Feedback.

I try something else other than PU and DE, but since I’m just an ok player, I find PU & DE makes things much easier.

1v1 vs Engineers are usually a very close battle. When I lose, usually is because I misjudge their health and shatter my illusion as they heal, then all goes downhill as all of the skills and weapon swap are on CD. OR getting hit by supply crate -.-

in PvP

Posted by: jebro.6370

jebro.6370

Most likely your going down because of condi removal on mesmer is tough. Null Field is your friend, also it will strip the boons from the engi that he has if your fight on point together Id roll with Null field generally. Its not used as often as I hope tbh!

in PvP

Limitbreaker.4176

Most likely your going down because of condi removal on mesmer is tough. Null Field is your friend, also it will strip the boons from the engi that he has if your fight on point together Id roll with Null field generally. Its not used as often as I hope tbh!

Thanks for the suggestion, i will roll with null field when there are a couple of Engineers on the other team.

Currently, for warr i like sw/sw + hammer + distraction strike. Same idea as hambow but melee style. I find it effective and fun. Trying to stay away from the bow for now, played too much of it.

in PvP

Posted by: Reevz.2617

Reevz.2617

against a good engi a warrior will always have trouble it’s going to largely be decided upon if you land pin down or not— and how many mistakes the engi makes

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Funny how everyone just suggests to fill engis up with condis….yeah too bad there’s something called AR between your conditions and 90% of engis in tpvp…

in PvP

Posted by: Reevz.2617

Reevz.2617

Funny how everyone just suggests to fill engis up with condis….yeah too bad there’s something called AR between your conditions and 90% of engis in tpvp…

first of all let me say, i dont run Automated Response, second of all it’s not all that difficult for another condi engi or condi class for that matter to work around it, it just means lightly condi them until they are 50% or so then load them up with everyhting and save your interupt

in PvP

Archaon.6245

first of all let me say, i dont run Automated Response, second of all it’s not all that difficult for another condi engi or condi class for that matter to work around it, it just means lightly condi them until they are 50% or so then load them up with everyhting and save your interupt

So you’re one of those 10% in tpvp i guess..and no it’s not that difficoult infact everyone knows how not broken ar actually is…

in PvP

Lupanic.6502

not so many engis running AR. AR is overrated because of the decap engis. Bomb/nades builds are better without it.

in PvP

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

The fact that you play mesmer and warrior and cant handle engineers means you have allot of practice to do before you should post on these forums.

Oh and do not play sword mainhand. Play Mace/Sword + Longbow and for maximum effectiveness vs engineers also use the projectile reflection on block trait.

(edited by RaZaC.1963)

in PvP

Lupanic.6502

The fact that you play mesmer and warrior and cant handle engineers means you have allot of practice to do before you should post on these forums.

Oh and do not play sword mainhand. Play Mace/Sword + Longbow and for maximum effectiveness vs engineers also use the projectile reflection on block trait.

Dude please. Everyone should have the right to post on this forum not only r0xx0r – player like you.

in PvP

Posted by: RaZaC.1963

RaZaC.1963

Dude please. Everyone should have the right to post on this forum not only r0xx0r – player like you.

True enough, yet I did not make threads like this when I was still a scrub. Also I said “Should” because personally I think that posting on the forums asking for help is not going to get you much. All you need is a decent build and then its about in-game practice.

in PvP

Posted by: Spooko.5436

Spooko.5436

Here’ s a secret about GW2 pvp, it is not a 1v1 game and caring about 1v1 tactics is a waste of time.

If u r having trouble with anything, just outnumber them. It is just that easy. If u desperately want to be John Rambo, 1 man army, capable of killing anything in a 1v1, go play a FPS.

in PvP

Archaon.6245

not so many engis running AR. AR is overrated because of the decap engis. Bomb/nades builds are better without it.

Problem is that most tpvp engis are decappers atm…because you know, other specs would eventually die if not played decently..

in PvP

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

True enough, yet I did not make threads like this when I was still a scrub. Also I said “Should” because personally I think that posting on the forums asking for help is not going to get you much. All you need is a decent build and then its about in-game practice.

Everyone learns differently. Now the OP has a bunch more knowledge and information about Engineer and their tactics that they may not have had before, that’ll help them make smarter decisions in-game and better recognize their own mistakes; thus, learn faster.

@Limit: I don’t know much about Engineer but if I may offer a bit of general advice to your build, while Vengeful Images (Insp 5) is a decent trait, I really think you’d be better off placing those points down in the Illusion tree, allowing you to grab either Phantasmal Haste (X), Illusionary Invigoration (VIII), or Illusionary Elasticity (VII) depending on your playstyle. I’d go with Elasticity to add an extra bounce onto Mirror Blade and Magic Bullet or Invig if you shatter alot, but Haste works if your playstyle doesn’t involve shattering often.

Also, I really think you’d get better performance from Phantasmal Fury (Dueling II) rather than Far-Reaching Manip. since you’re gonna be summoning the pistol phantasm often you want each of the 8 shots to crit as much as possible, both for damage and bleed stacking… which, I guess, is more damage.

Far reaching is pretty good, especially since you have more than one manipulation, but with both blink and decoy AND PU, you’ve got enough disengage and this’ll help add a bit of condition pressure. Lastly, since you do have two manipulations, putting them both on lower cooldowns via Chaos III might be better than Debilitating Dissipation… but again that’s a playstyle tossup as both are pretty good choices for you.

in PvP

Limitbreaker.4176

Thanks Chaos, I read on the Wiki that Haste didn’t affect iBerserker, did they fixed that? So far I like Elasticity since my style differs now. I now use the GS 80% of the time during combat comparing to the 50%-60% a year back. I usually like to hand onto my illusions and shatter only to daze, evade, or land the final blow.

Im starting to drop Blink for pvp so i will use phantasmal fury like u suggested.

in PvP

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

My bunker engi gets destroyed by Condi engi, Condi necros, MM necros and glass mesmer (probably shatter).

The one that consistently destroys me 1v1 is Condi nade engi.

The others get close.. if it turns into 2v1 then down I go.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

in PvP

Limitbreaker.4176

My bunker engi gets destroyed by Condi engi, Condi necros, MM necros and glass mesmer (probably shatter).

The one that consistently destroys me 1v1 is Condi nade engi.

The others get close.. if it turns into 2v1 then down I go.

Condi Engi are hard to deal with. High defense, around 2800, and high con damage, around 1100. That means they can bypass armor while taking heavy punishment. The only thing that gets them is con damage.

Also engis have the most CC. Just annoying when u r getting burn while getting knockdown, knockback, stun, & net.

The most success I have so far is to trait my mesmer to remove conditions & gain regen. With it I can stand up to engis. Then again they just either run or catch me when my condition removals & stealths are on CD.

in PvP

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Here’ s a secret about GW2 pvp, it is not a 1v1 game and caring about 1v1 tactics is a waste of time.

If u r having trouble with anything, just outnumber them. It is just that easy. If u desperately want to be John Rambo, 1 man army, capable of killing anything in a 1v1, go play a FPS.

You are wrong. 1v1 is very important part of tpvp.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?