Hackers in SPVP

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Bedlam.3562

Bedlam.3562

I just witnessed a player who fell through skyhammer glass then floated up back to high ground not dying and taking no damage.

This is the 3rd person I’ve seen in SPVP using some kind of warping hack. It’s pretty easy to spot as they don’t run smoothly when you’re spectating like normal players.

I know it’s only hotjoin, however it’s discouraging to see nothing being done.

Given this game wants to be and is sort of ESports I hope anet will do more to get rid of these kind of players. I’ve tried reporting them ingame via “bugs” but I still see them joining games.

So could anyone point me in the right direction where to report these players? I have their account IDs on my ‘friends’ list so I can keep track of them.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

i have been seeing teleport hackers lately in ranked. not a lot, but some, and never saw it before lately.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Emapudapus.1307

Emapudapus.1307

I pulled once guardian 3 times down on mid buff temple map and both time he instantly reapear back up. Maybe hack or some latency issue.

all is vain

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Called Judgment Intervention.
You knock him off but if he teleports in a timely manner he will be back up there.

Necro called
Sceptre Walk or something,
You knock him off, during it, he can instantly port back up.

Nothing but skills on the map that skills matter most.

Should be put back into Ranked Que.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Bedlam.3562

For my instance the player was using a mesmer, which is more or less my ‘main’ (have all toons to 80), so I’m very familiar with what is and isn’t possible.

He was ‘gliding’ back (as in controlling his movements at slightly faster than swiftness speed) to the platformed area ABOVE where the home cap points are. You know the one you have to use the pads to JUMP onto? So definitely a hack. Took him about 4 secs to reach it.

When I called him out on it, he promptly left the game and went ‘offline’, but he was still there (you can tell because the name is still in white rather than greyed out).

Anyways still wondering where to report these cheating kittens?

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

I was trying to stomp a ranger today and he teleported about 4 different times. During this his pet followed and rez’d him. Teleports are happening.

Baer

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Anet’s lack of action with regard to hackers in WvW has made them more bold. So now we see those hackers emboldened and infecting PvP. Not surprising, really.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Kharr.5746

Kharr.5746

Teleport and speed hacks are definitely real. There are lots of vids out there, have a look. Keep reporting them in game, and maybe Anet will find a way to deal with it.

For those that don’t know: Teleporting hacks have been in the game since near release of the game. They were mostly used by auto farming/mining bots in PVE that were run by gold farmers. The bots would teleport between resource nodes to mine them then sell on TP for money. At some point, Anet found a way to ban them (I think?) and they mostly stopped appearing.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Anet’s lack of action with regard to hackers in WvW has made them more bold. So now we see those hackers emboldened and infecting PvP. Not surprising, really.

Nowadays probably the only place safe from hackers are spvp tournaments that Anet livestreams.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Could also be a bug as I hit the ground alive day before yesterday. Was a pain as it shorted my team for the time it took to get a worm to defeat me.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Archon.6480

Archon.6480

Could also be that you are lagging. The game client on your computer makes educated guesses about where it thinks your opponent is going to go when you loose connection. So, if your opponent is running towards the edge or a hole when you loose connection or lag, you will see him run right off the edge or fall through the hole. When your client reconnects it learns your opponent stopped just before tossing himself off the edge and will correct its incorrect assumption. Boom, your opponent teleports back to the edge.

It’s rather amusing how well the client guesses where people are going, because there are tons of lag like interruptions on the Internet, yet we rarely see it make bad guesses. ANet has been very good at squashing hackers in the past, so just report them for exploiting if you are sure that is what is happening.

Jade Quarry – Esparie
Illustrious Exhausted Primordial Legendary Druid, and Mesmer for fun
PvE | PvP (1500)| WvW | Fractals | Dungeons

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Anyways still wondering where to report these cheating kittens?

Police or Interpol.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Tomal.7516

Tomal.7516

These Speedhax are called swiftness or frenzybuff and these porthacks are just lags from the servers or you/your enemy

Xeon
Best Schmock EU!

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Absinth.6917

Absinth.6917

These Speedhax are called swiftness or frenzybuff and these porthacks are just lags from the servers or you/your enemy

So the necro that out ran my whole team had swiftness and frenzy? Ok got it. Thing is he was snared twice. But it must be lag yes?

Please…

Potential For An Esport [NONE]

Haiku FTW

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Oh, people teleporting around in a weird manner.
Yup, I believe that, seen that.
Spirit Watch long time ago where someone would cap the orb in like 5 seconds.
Second time was like a month or two ago, downed warrior would not eat my finisher, teleporting like he was a downed thief, being able to move off node and back onto node and stealthed himself too. Oh and not just that, he was able to rez himself like he was a ranger, his hp would go up crazy fast after set amount of time.

I called both people out on it, neither of them chickened and dc’ed. The warrior laughed, and the ranger in spirit watch was trying to tell me how its some trait that allows him to do that.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Tao.5096

So the necro that out ran my whole team had swiftness and frenzy? Ok got it. Thing is he was snared twice. But it must be lag yes?

Please…

Video?

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

Please…

Video?

Search on google or youtube for “gw2 hacker in spvp”. It is easy to notice the difference between hack and lag.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Please…

Video?

Search on google or youtube for “gw2 hacker in spvp”. It is easy to notice the difference between hack and lag.

I believe he is looking for a video of this specific event. Not all hacking claims are legit. Doesn’t mean some arent. But I would guess quite a few are bugs or inexperience.

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Rastislav.1652

Rastislav.1652

Oh, people teleporting around in a weird manner.
Yup, I believe that, seen that.
Spirit Watch long time ago where someone would cap the orb in like 5 seconds.
Second time was like a month or two ago, downed warrior would not eat my finisher, teleporting like he was a downed thief, being able to move off node and back onto node and stealthed himself too. Oh and not just that, he was able to rez himself like he was a ranger, his hp would go up crazy fast after set amount of time.

I called both people out on it, neither of them chickened and dc’ed. The warrior laughed, and the ranger in spirit watch was trying to tell me how its some trait that allows him to do that.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Rastislav.1652

Rastislav.1652

Yep. I´ve seen some shady stuff done. Just today a Warr went from downed back to life without actually using Vegeance. It was just me and him, so nobody could have ressed him. When I downed him second time I could finish him normally though.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Rangelost.4857

Rangelost.4857

If the player was pulled or pushed into a hole and teleported back up, it may have been a simple bug.

Guild Wars 2’s netcode is a bit flawed when it comes to sending the right information at the right time.

Here’s an example: A player is 200 units away from a hole, and an elementalist launches the player 200 units towards the hole with Updraft.

The server will calculate that the player has been launched into the hole, and is now falling to his death. A few seconds later, he will die from fall damage.

The client may think otherwise. The player was running away from the hole as he was launched, and seemed to be 210 units away from it. When the launch animation plays, the player sees himself launched near the hole, but not inside it. A few seconds later, he dies from a heart attack.

This happens because the server sent the damage information, but not the position information. So the client is notified that the player took damage, but not that he was actually inside the hole.

The opposite can also happen. A player runs towards a hole and is pushed towards it. He used pushed 200 units, but really was still 210 units away from it. Clients might see the player fall because of the latency, but the server won’t. As soon as the player begins to move again, a packet is sent to all the clients to update his current (and actual) position, which is not in the hole. In other words, people will see the player seemingly teleport back up, next to the hole.

To prevent this from happening, the server could send more packets to the clients about players’ position (especially when downed, knocked back, launched or pulled), but it would make players seemingly teleport around more under these circumstances, and decrease overall combat smoothness.

With that said, it could also have been a hack. I’ve seen plenty, especially in arena. ArenaNet really needs to add more report categories ASAP.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Vieux P.1238

Vieux P.1238

If the player was pulled or pushed into a hole and teleported back up, it may have been a simple bug.

Guild Wars 2’s netcode is a bit flawed when it comes to sending the right information at the right time.

Here’s an example: A player is 200 units away from a hole, and an elementalist launches the player 200 units towards the hole with Updraft.

The server will calculate that the player has been launched into the hole, and is now falling to his death. A few seconds later, he will die from fall damage.

The client may think otherwise. The player was running away from the hole as he was launched, and seemed to be 210 units away from it. When the launch animation plays, the player sees himself launched near the hole, but not inside it. A few seconds later, he dies from a heart attack.

This happens because the server sent the damage information, but not the position information. So the client is notified that the player took damage, but not that he was actually inside the hole.

The opposite can also happen. A player runs towards a hole and is pushed towards it. He used pushed 200 units, but really was still 210 units away from it. Clients might see the player fall because of the latency, but the server won’t. As soon as the player begins to move again, a packet is sent to all the clients to update his current (and actual) position, which is not in the hole. In other words, people will see the player seemingly teleport back up, next to the hole.

To prevent this from happening, the server could send more packets to the clients about players’ position (especially when downed, knocked back, launched or pulled), but it would make players seemingly teleport around more under these circumstances, and decrease overall combat smoothness.

With that said, it could also have been a hack. I’ve seen plenty, especially in arena. ArenaNet really needs to add more report categories ASAP.

WoW! that was a waste of your breath.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Buster Slammin.2894

Buster Slammin.2894

Speed/teleport hacks are the most common

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Speed/teleport hacks are the most common

I’m old. I’ve been a neckbeard pc gamer for a long time.

Here’s my statement now after 20 years of pc gaming.

You’re naive if you think peoples reports of hacks are just bugs or skills in ANY game. I even went so far as to rent a hack for 24 hours 6 months ago. Cost me 2.50$ to rent a professional hack for 24 hours that covered every shooter on the pc you can think of. I just wanted to see a hack from their side for once. I used it for a couple of hours mainly adjusting settings until it worked fairly well.

I love that people call others out saying they’re exaggerating or naive when a Google search can pull up many professional hacking websites that sell subscription based hacks for every game you can think of.

Literally a Google search is too much effort for them.

One thing I’ll say though in Anet’s defense is that some of these hacks are almost impossible to stop. The dev’s dont want this happening. We dont want this happening. But there’s not much we can do without a strong report system and moderator’s who can investigate these reports.

I wish more could be done but so far this has remained PC gamings biggest weakness.

(edited by Godmoney.2048)

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Bedlam.3562

Here’s my statement now after 20 years of pc gaming.

You’re naive if you think peoples reports of hacks are just bugs or skills in ANY game. I even went so far as to rent a hack for 24 hours 6 months ago. Cost me 2.50$ to rent a professional hack for 24 hours that covered every shooter on the pc you can think of. I just wanted to see a hack from their side for once. I used it for a couple of hours mainly adjusting settings until it worked fairly well.

I love that people call others out saying they’re exaggerating or naive when a Google search can pull up many professional hacking websites that sell subscription based hacks for every game you can think of.

Literally a Google search is too much effort for them.

One thing I’ll say though in Anet’s defense is that some of these hacks are almost impossible to stop. The dev’s dont want this happening. We dont want this happening. But there’s not much we can do without a strong report system and moderator’s who can investigate these reports.

I wish more could be done but so far this has remained PC gamings biggest weakness.

^ This.

I’ve been gaming since the Vic 20, played GW2 since launch so all those who think hacks don’t exist keep being ignorant. There’ve been bots, teleport/speed hacks since launch, however mostly in the WvW zones. Part of the reason the Orbs of Power were removed from WvW was because of cheaters (shame though as the Orbs were fun trying to legitimately take them).

DAoC had a great reporting system and GMs were very prompt, polite and professional in assisting their customers. Things like cheaters, verbal abuse, and death threats were not taken lightly and nor should they be. Nowadays many game companies fall very short of this level of service. Pity.

These hacks/cheats aren’t rampant yet thankfully and I’d like to see something in place to not allow them to be. At the very least have a report option for hacking and not simply ‘bug’ report.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

Should be put back into Ranked Que.

Hell no. Took months to take it out of ranked queue. The map itself is interesting but its also too easy to exploit by certain builds.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Rangelost.4857

One thing I’ll say though in Anet’s defense is that some of these hacks are almost impossible to stop.

That’s not true. All movement-based hacks are very easy to detect and stop. It’s just that decision-making layers couldn’t give less of a skritt about it. They want their devs working on new shiny stuff players can spend money on. The customer support can deal with those millions of tickets.

Who cares about well-written code? Nobody’s going to look at it… right?

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: hashed.1269

hashed.1269

i can’t believe that this is true. the server doenst manage the player-position? please tell me from where u get this information. playerposition, damage, cooldowns, complete movement must run on server-side. the client just sends to the server that he press “2”, the server now calculate everything and sends back to client.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Tao.5096

i can’t believe that this is true. the server doenst manage the player-position? please tell me from where u get this information. playerposition, damage, cooldowns, complete movement must run on server-side. the client just sends to the server that he press “2”, the server now calculate everything and sends back to client.

If everything would be server side, then the only way to cheat, would be to send dumb packets and fool server.
Obviously not everything is server side.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Rangelost.4857

The server does manage the players’ position. What I meant to say, more specifically, is that when a character is knocked back, launched, pulled or downed, the initial position (before they are moved) is not sent to the clients. This causes minor position desynchronization (after they are moved).

If the initial position was sent, we would no longer have any bugs causing players to appear where they shouldn’t be (like the popular bug where a downed player can’t be revived/finished off), but players would seemingly teleport every time one of these conditions apply.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

hashed.1269

If everything would be server side, then the only way to cheat, would be to send dumb packets and fool server.
Obviously not everything is server side.

and this should also blocked from a good server. the only way to cheat is that u can read player poisitons from files that the game is using. maybe a aimbot that controls your mouse but this should be no problem in gw2. but if u as client send your position to the server, no one should wonder about position-cheaters

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Rangelost.4857

but if u as client send your position to the server, no one should wonder about position-cheaters

That is correct. There are ways to patch it and try to prevent people from exploiting it, of course, but that’s like trying to dodge rain in a storm. If your game client has to send player position information to the server, it’s severely backwards and needs to be re-written!

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

Our lord was killed lately by an engineer, while the doors where closed… I dont know how he did it, maybe its possible to get into the base with some jump skills. But still he managed to kill the lord with all 4 guards alive. Maybe a player who really knows what he was doing, or someone using a hack.

Such hacks could be gamebreaking on Stronghold.

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Rangelost.4857

Our lord was killed lately by an engineer, while the doors where closed… I dont know how he did it, maybe its possible to get into the base with some jump skills. But still he managed to kill the lord with all 4 guards alive. Maybe a player who really knows what he was doing, or someone using a hack.

Again, this might have been a bug. There is currently a way for people to exploit a bug which allows players to bypass the enemy gates in Legacy of the Foefire. Additionally, there is another bug which sometimes spawns players into the enemy base when they spawn for the first time.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

The server does manage the players’ position. What I meant to say, more specifically, is that when a character is knocked back, launched, pulled or downed, the initial position (before they are moved) is not sent to the clients. This causes minor position desynchronization (after they are moved).

If the initial position was sent, we would no longer have any bugs causing players to appear where they shouldn’t be (like the popular bug where a downed player can’t be revived/finished off), but players would seemingly teleport every time one of these conditions apply.

It’s a bit stranger than that, if the client of the person being knocked is significantly lagged it potentially ignores knocks/pulls/etc. I’ve experienced this first hand (have two accounts, one is connected via cable and the other on a dodgy wifi) where knocking a lagged client will cause the client doing the knocking to see the target fly away, but the client being knocked won’t actually move; if I attack the target’s old position I will see damage numbers pop up, but if I attack the new position nothing connects; if I move the “knocked” character a little the server will correct the reported position and send them “gliding” to where that client says it’s supposed to be.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: HipposWild.7185

HipposWild.7185

You can claim bugs all you want but I don’t believe it for a second. I’ve seen guardians with access to multiple heal skills (at least litany of wrath and shelter), I’ve seen people cross the entire map in a split second, and people who have permanent stability without the boon… It’s not bugs. The by far easiest and most likely answer is that people hack the game.

#1 of all #1 players as ranked by a fair and unbiased committee

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Tao.5096

You can claim bugs all you want but I don’t believe it for a second. I’ve seen guardians with access to multiple heal skills (at least litany of wrath and shelter), I’ve seen people cross the entire map in a split second, and people who have permanent stability without the boon… It’s not bugs. The by far easiest and most likely answer is that people hack the game.

Video?

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

HipposWild.7185

Video?

I love that comment! like it invalidates anything I’ve seen because I don’t record every game. I refuse to believe I’m the only one experiencing these people and there are plenty of videos out there.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Video?

I love that comment! like it invalidates anything I’ve seen because I don’t record every game. I refuse to believe I’m the only one experiencing these people and there are plenty of videos out there.

It’s the classic response from people who are to naive and ignorant to know better. Using google to find a video is just too much effort so instead they ask for proof.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

hashed.1269

until now i have never seen a position-cheater, but if i see anyone i will post the video here. i record 90% of my fights, to see in which situation i made horrible things and how to do it better. i remember a strange thief, but i will first proof the video tomorrow before i say anything about it. cheers

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

until now i have never seen a position-cheater, but if i see anyone i will post the video here. i record 90% of my fights, to see in which situation i made horrible things and how to do it better. i remember a strange thief, but i will first proof the video tomorrow before i say anything about it. cheers

I think thieves are most likely to be able to get away with hacks.

Because of there weird way of fighting, where they port across a zone and port back.

A thief could be cheating but you’d never know it.

Like at one time awhile ago, I’ve seen a thief, hit the trebuchet, port back on ground (off the trebuchet platform), teleport to trebuchet and port back on ground, rinse and repeat until it was destroyed.

Also, in match like foefire, on the graveyard node, this other thief, smack you, teleport all way onto ledge so you cant hit him, teleport back onto and smack you, teleport back on ledge where he’s too far away for you, rinse and repeat.

It’s very hard to tell if a thief is using a hack, and therefore they are the best class to get away with such a thing.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Posted by: piffdaddy.8014

piffdaddy.8014

I think the reason you are seeing a lot now is because of the $10 sale gw2 recently had. Before no one would really risk a $40 account with blatantly hacking in spvp….now….it’s definitely more common. They will be banned soon though and you won’t see it as much. Until another sale happens, of course.

Tbh every major game has working hacks that exist. There really isn’t too much anet or any other company can do. Yeah they can put in “detection” methods that will auto ban players (which I am 90% sure gw2 already has some of) but in reality the guys writing these hacks are often professional software engineers who work in the IT field. Can’t really do much when they are constantly evolving their software.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

I think the reason you are seeing a lot now is because of the $10 sale gw2 recently had. Before no one would really risk a $40 account with blatantly hacking in spvp….now….it’s definitely more common. They will be banned soon though and you won’t see it as much. Until another sale happens, of course.

Tbh every major game has working hacks that exist. There really isn’t too much anet or any other company can do. Yeah they can put in “detection” methods that will auto ban players (which I am 90% sure gw2 already has some of) but in reality the guys writing these hacks are often professional software engineers who work in the IT field. Can’t really do much when they are constantly evolving their software.

And yet some people insist that turning it into f2p would be good for the game. Just the simple fact of the game becoming cheaper during a sale was already enough to a major increase in the number of hacks that we are seeing. Imagine if it was f2p. People would hack any place and just make hundreds of accounts.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

HAX!!!

See what I mean by thieves can cheat easily????

It was all….

#Skills

Attachments:

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

HipposWild.7185

And yet some people insist that turning it into f2p would be good for the game. Just the simple fact of the game becoming cheaper during a sale was already enough to a major increase in the number of hacks that we are seeing. Imagine if it was f2p. People would hack any place and just make hundreds of accounts.

Honestly those movement hackers have been prevalent for a very long time, and they don’t appear to be going anywhere. It gives me the strong impression that there aren’t auto checks in place to ban abusive accounts and associated ip addresses. Anet has never given a proactive impression. They may respond on the forums with vague hints, but its like the balance patches…. every handful of months there are a couple quarter second adjustments that don’t fix the gaping holes.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Tao.5096

Haven’t seen any hackers in Gw2.
They don’t exist.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Bedlam.3562

Haven’t seen any hackers in Gw2.
They don’t exist.

You’ve already said this more than once so I can’t tell if you’re being serious or just plain ignorant. Either way please stop being a troll.

ANet has even stated there are cheaters/hackers in this game.

After a careful reevaluation of orbs of power we have decided to remove them from WvW in an upcoming build. As implemented, orbs tend to strengthen teams who are already winning and make it even more difficult for underdog teams to fight back. In addition, the current implementation seems to be irresistible to hackers/cheaters and will require significant modification to prevent cheaters from having an unfortunately large impact

Source GW2 Forums
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Update-Notes-November-01-2012

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Tao.5096

Post that is already over 2 years old.
I am sure that ArenaNet has improved security for their servers and clients greatly since then.

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Bedlam.3562

I am sure that ArenaNet has improved security for their servers and clients greatly since then.

Source?

Hackers in SPVP

in PvP

Tao.5096

Source?

Unannounced Security updates with each previous game update :v

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates