Helseth carries bronze 4v5

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

@ apharma.3741

Sorry I wholeheartedly disagree. Sombody who should be silver and is stuck in bronze belongs there as he is not better then the player in said division worth thier division. If he meets equally skilled players in both his team and his enemy team and isn’t playing better then he stays there. However somebody who is silver and has a team full of just absolute potatoes like in the video and he loses then it doesn’t mean that he belongs there. The video shows it itself. absolutely horrendous gameplay and so many times where the game could have been thrown. Remember that the average mmr is around 1200. In this league u will find a mix of players who are average around the 1200 mark and that is where most players will be centered. those players u will also see starting in bronze. Somebody belongs in bronze if loses games with just absolute potatoes and teams that are actuall consisting of players Climbing to silver. that is a bronze tier player . Bassically a winrate that is 50 percent consistently there.

winning 1 v 2’s and bieng average is not something that often comes around and in no way is the norm. that is incredibly rare and that point one should wonder if your mechanical skill isn’t simply beyond the average joe. not bieng able to 1 v 2 in bronze doesn’t disqualify from bieng worth silver at all. Some averages have basic map awaraness but are better speaking mechanilly speaking etc. An average joe still has place for plenty of improvement. to ask them to carry potatoes, A task that can be incredibly complex and difficult going by this vid makes no sense.

Why do u think the matchmaker tries to create equally balanced teams that match your skill rating? Because the norm is not to carry your way in with potatoes each and every match through a division. The carry or bust thing makes no sense.

this is me not saying that elo hell exist or anything. If your winrate is 50 percent consistently or u lose the entire time then u are likely to belong there cause not all matches are carry matches as shown on the forums where some matches were lost with les then 150 points difference.

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

@ apharma.3741

Sorry I wholeheartedly disagree. Sombody who should be silver and is stuck in bronze belongs there as he is not better then the player in said division worth thier division. If he meets equally skilled players in both his team and his enemy team and isn’t playing better then he stays there. However somebody who is silver and has a team full of just absolute potatoes like in the video and he loses then it doesn’t mean that he belongs there. The video shows it itself. absolutely horrendous gameplay and so many times where the game could have been thrown. Remember that the average mmr is around 1200. In this league u will find a mix of players who are average around the 1200 mark and that is where most players will be centered. those players u will also see starting in bronze. Somebody belongs in bronze if loses games with just absolute potatoes and teams that are actuall consisting of players Climbing to silver. that is a bronze tier player . Bassically a winrate that is 50 percent consistently there.

winning 1 v 2’s and bieng average is not something that often comes around and in no way is the norm. that is incredibly rare and that point one should wonder if your mechanical skill isn’t simply beyond the average joe. not bieng able to 1 v 2 in bronze doesn’t disqualify from bieng worth silver at all. Some averages have basic map awaraness but are better speaking mechanilly speaking etc. An average joe still has place for plenty of improvement. to ask them to carry potatoes, A task that can be incredibly complex and difficult going by this vid makes no sense.

Why do u think the matchmaker tries to create equally balanced teams that match your skill rating? Because the norm is not to carry your way in with potatoes each and every match through a division. The carry or bust thing makes no sense.

this is me not saying that elo hell exist or anything. If your winrate is 50 percent consistently or u lose the entire time then u are likely to belong there cause not all matches are carry matches as shown on the forums where some matches were lost with les then 150 points difference.

You’ve seen the people in bronze, they are absurdly terrible and these potatoes on your team are likely to be on the other team. If you can’t achieve more than a 50% win rate vs potatoes then you are a potato. I mean they were even stood in the middle of the map having a blooming dance party because it never occured to them what the fluff they should do.

To be clear, people in bronze generally don’t understand skills, blocks, dodges, rotations or anything of the like, it’s been shown on videos and if you cannot win 1v2 against people who mash buttons in no particular order well you are not worthy of progressing. Warrior absolutely destroys people like that, if you have trouble in bronze pick up a warrior and carry like a pack mule on steroids, you’ll be roflstomping them.

Silver you may have to think about what you do and your team but anyone who is mechanically decent with a carry class should progress even slowly. I’m looking forward to seeing what silver is like on stream.

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

@ apharma.3741

You’ve seen the people in bronze, they are absurdly terrible and these potatoes on your team are likely to be on the other team. If you can’t achieve more than a 50% win rate vs potatoes then you are a potato. I mean they were even stood in the middle of the map having a blooming dance party because it never occured to them what the fluff they should do.

To be clear, people in bronze generally don’t understand skills, blocks, dodges, rotations or anything of the like, it’s been shown on videos and if you cannot win 1v2 against people who mash buttons in no particular order well you are not worthy of progressing. Warrior absolutely destroys people like that, if you have trouble in bronze pick up a warrior and carry like a pack mule on steroids, you’ll be roflstomping them.

Silver you may have to think about what you do and your team but anyone who is mechanically decent with a carry class should progress even slowly. I’m looking forward to seeing what silver is like on stream.

Bronze has terible players and it’s also an mix and mash of Climbing players. both teams are bad and yet u can lose even with a pro league player bieng practically omnipresent. get into high bronze and u get closer to the 1000 and above mark. Not bieng able to carry a team of potatoes simply doesn’t equal bieng a potatoe. bieng a potatoe works both negatively and positively. they are different tiers of players even in bronze and low silver. they may not be as decent as a solid silver to gold player but having a division full of potatoes that reaches well into the tousand up to silver. I wouldn’t make that generalisation yet.

however it doesn’t seem we will agree on this anytime soon. So I’d rather agree to disagree then continue this further.

in PvP

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

@ apharma.3741

Wait you get even win/loss points? Idk about everyone else but I lose 23ish when I lose and only win 12ish when I win. So I have to win 2 fold+ to climb.

Serenity now~Insanity later

in PvP

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I have to say I think him not just one-shotting legend kind of has a bias, though. As time goes by, people get filtered closer towards the tiers they belong in. My games in silver at the very beginning of the season had players from diamond and low bronze who got lucky in placement games because of those players who carried them. Silver towards the 1200-1250 range a week ago was absolutely ELO hell; there were games where I consistently saw people not even capping neutral uncontested points, sitting around AA’ing the air, etc. while opponents who belong in gold+ were just doing generally well, and when on the unlucky side, those are just the kinds of games you lose; you don’t 1v4 and win against players who belong in higher divisions unless you’re playing something blatantly overpowered; hell, even I’ve won 1v4’s against people in silver when playing core D/D power thief, just because they didn’t belong in the game/tier. Helseth is an amazing mesmer but his method of experimentation isn’t really sound, nor is this topic in general.

So as the baddies get filtered out, he’ll be able to carry himself better, so it doesn’t really prove much. Basically, him taking it slowly avoids the whole “ELO hell” thing.

Does ELO hell exist? Sort of. It does at the beginning of the season where people are all over the place in ranks they don’t belong, and matches are determined by RNG, and it can depending on the class/build you’re playing in respects to how reliable your teammates are. If you’re an excellent support it doesn’t really matter how good you are if your teammates don’t understand the basics of combat. It also depends on the scope of the game. GW2’s PvP scene is very small. People will filter out faster as a consequence. In massive games like League, you can have a new influx of players at a given rank pretty much every day, constantly upsetting this process. The existence of ELO hell will therefore be more persistent.

So making blanket statements like it does/doesn’t exist – and really the method of this experimentation – is kind of based entirely on flawed logic.

in PvP

apharma.3741

@ apharma.3741

Wait you get even win/loss points? Idk about everyone else but I lose 23ish when I lose and only win 12ish when I win. So I have to win 2 fold+ to climb.

If you get more top stats (because you’re better than the potatoes on your team) you lose less rating, likewise you gain more if you get more top stats. It also depends on the other team too, if you should have got stomped easily you lose less for losing but gain more for winning. A lot of my losses in rating are not that big and easily nullified by a win, even had a loss that was -10 then a win after that gave +20 for whatever reason.

@Deciever, so long as you aren’t intentionally holding yourself back by playing something that isn’t very strong you should eventually drift to where you should be. It’s been 3 weeks so people will be getting closer to where they should be and I’ve seen high rated players in plat rapidly falling because they really aren’t that good and likewise bronze going to gold nearly plat now. It takes time for us mere mortals who aren’t 2 times world champions but we should be displaying that we are better than average if we are.

Then again I am talking about EU here, maybe it’s different over in NA.

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

I only went core D/D for a few games because the matchup volatility was so bad it didn’t matter what I played (I played meta Daredevil for almost 50 games and a lot of the teams were just so bad I couldn’t carry because my point-fight presence wasn’t good enough); I actually ended up winning more straight games on my “troll” build than I did on meta Daredevil just because of how the cards fell by luck on teammates – and my gains were more substantial since I was consistently getting multiple top stats due to the damage it pumps out, which the decap role doesn’t really reward at all. I’m back to power reaper and things are sailing much smoother now as people fall into the tiers they belong in and I’m in a position to actually hold points, and figure once I start pushing the build to its limits in the plat area where I can no longer carry fights on my own, I’ll probably go back to playing the meta Daredevil as I can then trust my teammates to not stand off-point, win a few fights to make decaps meaningful, and the likes.

in PvP

Posted by: Travlane.5948

Travlane.5948

I only went core D/D for a few games because the matchup volatility was so bad it didn’t matter what I played (I played meta Daredevil for almost 50 games and a lot of the teams were just so bad I couldn’t carry because my point-fight presence wasn’t good enough); I actually ended up winning more straight games on my “troll” build than I did on meta Daredevil just because of how the cards fell by luck on teammates – and my gains were more substantial since I was consistently getting multiple top stats due to the damage it pumps out, which the decap role doesn’t really reward at all. I’m back to power reaper and things are sailing much smoother now as people fall into the tiers they belong in and I’m in a position to actually hold points, and figure once I start pushing the build to its limits in the plat area where I can no longer carry fights on my own, I’ll probably go back to playing the meta Daredevil as I can then trust my teammates to not stand off-point, win a few fights to make decaps meaningful, and the likes.

kittening nailed it bro. this is exactly. ive been fighting this truth too. i main thief and never play guardian. but moved to guardian with copy n paste meta….. 9-0 first 9 matches and proceded to 13-2.

in PvP

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Haha, I just had Helseth’s smurf in my team (Gold I) and we lost, so he can carry bronze but not gold. Very hilarious.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in PvP

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

if you’re in gold no wonder u wanted those ap removed feelsbadman

Reaper – AnguĂ®sh

in PvP

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Haha, I just had Helseth’s smurf in my team (Gold I) and we lost, so he can carry bronze but not gold. Very hilarious.

That moment when you are so bad that even Helseth can’t carry you

in PvP

Posted by: Dranoth.4130

Dranoth.4130

I just teamed up with his alt, apart from he is going “mew mew” and all that spam at chat. It was fun. :>

in PvP

Posted by: Vallun.2071

Vallun.2071

in PvP

apharma.3741

Any chance you can pull the screenshot of the guy saying Helseth should be reported for smurfing or whatever he said after he made this.

For those not clued in, check the sig where the OP says it’s on of his 30+ accounts making the complaint.

in PvP

Posted by: sexuallegend.2153

sexuallegend.2153

I switched over to EU just to test out the EU>NA meme and its so far off lmao. I’ve been 1v2 and 1v3 in gold with ease. I’m notsure how Helseth is having a problem winning every game XD

Shadow, the Legend Myth
(Shadow the Jedi, An Arrogant Samurai, The Legend Myth, One Of The Avengers)
Best Player Episode 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgpC1yIGFB0

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

Oh that is amusing. The experience today just proved to me that Helseth must be one of the most toxic players on GW2 pvp.

Any chance you can pull the screenshot of the guy saying Helseth should be reported for smurfing or whatever he said after he made this.

For those not clued in, check the sig where the OP says it’s on of his 30+ accounts making the complaint.

I have not said he should be reported. I said he deserved the loss for smurfing.
Personally I am not using my accounts to smurf in pvp, I just use them as extra gold income. So you argument crumbles apart.

in PvP

Posted by: Neftex.7594

Neftex.7594

you seem to be missing the point malediktus, hes using alt account to show everyone that good players wont stay stuck at low mmr and so far hes successful.
obviously he cant win every match

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

you seem to be missing the point malediktus, hes using alt account to show everyone that good players wont stay stuck at low mmr and so far hes successful.

So if the world champion (using an overpowered condi mesmer build, too) cannot win every match in bronze to silver, how is lets say someone worth gold division supposed to climb out of bronze/silver? This just proves that there are a lot of matches where it is impossible to win no matter how good you are and how much effort you put in.

My MMR is still changing +-100 every day after over 300 matches, I do not see any settlement effect yet.

in PvP

Neftex.7594

you cant win every match because not all team comps are good, people arent willing to reroll (or arent as good on other class when they do) and also not everyone is at the right mmr yet (has to drop down, like you)

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

So if the world champion (using an overpowered condi mesmer build, too) cannot win every match in bronze to silver, how is lets say someone worth gold division supposed to climb out of bronze/silver? This just proves that there are a lot of matches where it is impossible to win no matter how good you are and how much effort you put in.

My MMR is still changing +-100 every day after over 300 matches, I do not see any settlement effect yet.

I’ve found time of day matters a lot.

Early afternoon NA EST (EU prime) is a pubstomp if you’re good. I almost just one-shotted an entire division in a day, consistently carrying outnumbered on-point fights with a power necro and thief lol.

As soon as it starts hitting the evening hours, matches start to swing wildly and the matches seem to be all randomness. After going 13-2 in the afternoon and taking a break, I’m 1-11 in evening games.

As I’ve said above, though, this whole thread/what Helseth is even doing is kind of flawed and not even necessarily applicable to NA.

(edited by DeceiverX.8361)

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

Anyone have an update on where Helseth is now with this account and his current w/l ratio?

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in PvP

apharma.3741

Anyone have an update on where Helseth is now with this account and his current w/l ratio?

In bottom gold with a 90% win ratio roughly.

in PvP

DeceiverX.8361

I’d like to see him do it on power tbh :\

in PvP

apharma.3741

I’d like to see him do it on power tbh :\

Well his sub goal was reached which is “play 3 weird builds” so I guess if you’re on twitch at the same time you can suggest it. Chances are people will pester him to play power anyway so you’ll likely get your wish.

in PvP

Posted by: Hostile.1297

Hostile.1297

I have to say I think him not just one-shotting legend kind of has a bias, though. As time goes by, people get filtered closer towards the tiers they belong in. My games in silver at the very beginning of the season had players from diamond and low bronze who got lucky in placement games because of those players who carried them. Silver towards the 1200-1250 range a week ago was absolutely ELO hell; there were games where I consistently saw people not even capping neutral uncontested points, sitting around AA’ing the air, etc. while opponents who belong in gold+ were just doing generally well, and when on the unlucky side, those are just the kinds of games you lose; you don’t 1v4 and win against players who belong in higher divisions unless you’re playing something blatantly overpowered; hell, even I’ve won 1v4’s against people in silver when playing core D/D power thief, just because they didn’t belong in the game/tier. Helseth is an amazing mesmer but his method of experimentation isn’t really sound, nor is this topic in general.

So as the baddies get filtered out, he’ll be able to carry himself better, so it doesn’t really prove much. Basically, him taking it slowly avoids the whole “ELO hell” thing.

Does ELO hell exist? Sort of. It does at the beginning of the season where people are all over the place in ranks they don’t belong, and matches are determined by RNG, and it can depending on the class/build you’re playing in respects to how reliable your teammates are. If you’re an excellent support it doesn’t really matter how good you are if your teammates don’t understand the basics of combat. It also depends on the scope of the game. GW2’s PvP scene is very small. People will filter out faster as a consequence. In massive games like League, you can have a new influx of players at a given rank pretty much every day, constantly upsetting this process. The existence of ELO hell will therefore be more persistent.

So making blanket statements like it does/doesn’t exist – and really the method of this experimentation – is kind of based entirely on flawed logic.

Great post, absolutly agreed. There’s a chance of this happening.

People are complaining about not gettin placed properly so its not about getting out of a tier. Its about gettin quality matches that represent the tier ur in and belong to. The ladder is so poluted with wrong placements and old farmed mmr its hard to climb to where u belong and u can even overshoot a fall.

in PvP

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

am i the only one who thinks helseth is being a bit of a kitten here? i mean its one thing to tell someone they are trash when they refuse to improve. its another thing to call someone trash when you dont even know if they are trying to improve. elitest .

im bad at sarcasm

in PvP

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Theres a few points to take from his stream, that’s one of them. One of the other clear points he’s proved is that if you’re an average player and not an ESL player then there are a lot of games you won’t be able to carry.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

in PvP

apharma.3741

am i the only one who thinks helseth is being a bit of a kitten here? i mean its one thing to tell someone they are trash when they refuse to improve. its another thing to call someone trash when you dont even know if they are trying to improve. elitest .

The guy he is talking about practically begged Arena Net to remove achievement points from the titles given to the top 250 placed people on the leaderboard. He will cite every reason he can but the real reason is he doesn’t have a hope in hells chance in ever getting all the achievement points that it gives and that is literally all he cares about.

Arena Net was giving out a token amount of achievement points to the people that are actually skilled in the game and he cried foul. This was before the whole NA smurfing the top 10 spots on the leaderboard btw, the post was literally made as soon as the league came out.

in PvP

Neftex.7594

he had nothing better to do than holding 1v2 or 1v3 at far while you and the rest of the team werent able to secure home and middle, and you come to his 1v2 with nothing to offer and wonder why he gets mad…

so youre trying to improve? after 7k games youre on this level, youre either not trying or you wont get any better

you wouldnt get top 250 on neither NA nor EU so the “flaws of the ladder system” dont hurt you at all

in PvP

Malediktus.9250

he had nothing better to do than holding 1v2 or 1v3 at far while you and the rest of the team werent able to secure home and middle, and you come to his 1v2 with nothing to offer and wonder why he gets mad…

From my own experience getting mad just makes everything worse. You distract people in your team (both by distracting their thoughts and by possibly making them answer you rage) and ruining your own focus (by typing and not being able to think clearly anymore).
Occassionally I get mad at people in my team, too, but it turns out raging never results in a benefit for the team.

And it was like this in this case, too. When Helseth sent toxic whispers I considered block/reporting him and noticed who it was. Then I entered his stream to hear his comments. So it all caused a lot of distraction for nothing.

so youre trying to improve? after 7k games youre on this level, youre either not trying or you wont get any better

I guess I am pretty close to my personal skill cap unless I miss something obvious. It feels like I get maybe 1% better per 100 games played. So it is pretty clear that I am no pro league material at this point or in the forseeable future.

you wouldnt get top 250 on neither NA nor EU so the “flaws of the ladder system” dont hurt you at all

If I cannot do it by myself there is nothing preventing me from hiring a pro player to duoQ with me. Top 250 for sure would buyable, in future seasons when hype about the new season structure dies down higher rankings, too.

(edited by Malediktus.9250)

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Not surprised that the people that Helseth was playing with in those matches think they deserve to be in higher divisions.

The logic in this thread is self-serving. “After playing enough matches, players end up in the division they belong. I belong in a high division, but am stuck in bronze after playing many matches.” So yes, everyone posting here is the exception.

in PvP

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

EDIT: I am not sure if Helseth reads this, but you are doing your pvp community a disservice by being such a toxic elitist. If you want it to grow and proper like you always claim you should spend more effort in helping people get invested into the game mode (by giving them useful criticism and tips) instead of trash talking them infront of 500+ viewers on stream.

First, that video does not have context. Second, I’ve seen Helseth handle many bad situations with grace greater than the complaints I read on these forums. Third, while Helseth’s trash talking is nowhere near the worst out there (Leeto’s is just horrible and pathetic), he does try to cultivate the image of a bad boy gamer. He knows this will get him more views and subscribers, which is the real reason he’s doing any of this. The trash talking is part of the show.

in PvP

Posted by: duster.7013

duster.7013

Elo hell? Play mes.

in PvP

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

This is clearly a topic that forum members would like to discuss. I feel it started out badly, but has enough interest to consider letting it run. However, in order to leave it running we’re asking that you please use good judgment in what you say, and make your post factual and respectful, not antagonistic, aggressive, or rude. Stating an opinion as an opinion is ok; stating it as fact isn’t appropriate. The moderators will keep an eye on this thread, and if any of you see posts you are concerned about — aggressive, combative, disrepectful — please flag them for review. If the consensus is that this thread is inappropriate, we’ll close it. Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)