Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: kobi.5236

kobi.5236

I want my relique ran back .. Bodyblock for da win ! … 3 man full stuck <3

Oh man. That brings me some nice memories about my days on HA. Tons of fun there… playing with balanced builds to be able to win every map and finally hold Hall of Heroes… that was glorious.

Best PvP in a MMO ever for me: GW1’s one (I know GW1 wasn’t a MMO per se but you get the idea )

Even if u played “lame” build was it fun

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

I want Heroes’ Ascent back! GvG may have been the true high-end PvP but… HA was most fun by far to me. It was pretty much a flawless system imo. The different game modes, the 3 sided battles, the ghostly heroes and priests to protect… tbh still the best PvP experience I’ve had in all games. So ye why they decided to not put anything even remotely close into GW2, I will never understand.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: kobi.5236

kobi.5236

Anet statement Please

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

No PvP in GW2 is the official statement.

Leman

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

No statement? Seriously? This would be the single best thing to happen to GW2.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

Please Arenanet, if you love God and your country, you’ll make this happen.

I spend 6 years of my adolescent years in the hall of heroes, the nostalgia factor would be through the roof if this got implemented in gw2.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

HA and GvG (With ladder…read again…LADDER)>whatever you can possibly find in gw2. End of the story.

Even at r12 after years of HA when you hold halls you fell satisfied and proud to see your name in world notifications…when you win here just after a couple of months you’re just…meh, ok…go again………sad……

(edited by Archaon.6245)

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Beren Forever.1379

Beren Forever.1379

Someone needs to buy the rights to take the pvp from gw1 and to make a new free game of it (and by new I mean better graphics etc but DONT CHANGE IT) with useless DLC to earn money. When I see people enjoying free games like LoL… I want to tell them the story of gw1 pvp

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: SapphireGrace.7123

SapphireGrace.7123

I miss HA for a few reasons. Although I like competitive play with leaderboards, HA was unique in its own right. For example, instead of losing rank or rating when you lost a match, there was no punishment besides having to start over. The rewards were great and the idea of “map progression” and “holding Halls” was so, so great. The maps were all unique in their own right and you could even still have the same style maps all themed around cap points (because Anet seems to not want to move away from cap points).

I loved opening the Halls chest, and HA just had this really unique feeling to it. I miss HA so much and I’m not alone when I say that – I know that for sure. So many people would love the return of HA and the rewards from the chests and such would really bring a lot of attention to the PvP community. It would be really great; please bring it back! Please.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Empathetic Fighter.2065

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Someone needs to buy the rights to take the pvp from gw1 and to make a new free game of it (and by new I mean better graphics etc but DONT CHANGE IT) with useless DLC to earn money. When I see people enjoying free games like LoL… I want to tell them the story of gw1 pvp

Made me smile. If I’d have the cash I would do buy the rights . . . Sometimes I wish GW1’s release would have been in 2012.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Oidmetala.8426

Oidmetala.8426

y, i watch old gw1 pvp fights on youtube atm.
looks so good :P
best thing on gw1 was players can have main and second class
this game was so diverse on builds and fun (pve and pvp)

Team Erotic Solitude Legends [ESL]
Spirit Ranger Yilvina Darnus
Bunker Guardian Morwenna Darnus

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.7906

Penguin.7906

I think all of these game modes would work fine with gw2 if they introduced bodyblocking. The deathmatch maps would offcourse have to be way smaller than the maps are now. HA 5man teams and RA/TA 4man teams.

Shuriyo

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

I think all of these game modes would work fine with gw2 if they introduced bodyblocking. The deathmatch maps would offcourse have to be way smaller than the maps are now. HA 5man teams and RA/TA 4man teams.

the meta would be: aoe vs focus dps, and would never change.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Penguin.7906

Penguin.7906

except that King of the hill (if it worked similar as to gw1) would force groups to bring more CC and Boon removal to counter Stabilety plays. Relic running would force groups to bring players with strong mobilety and snares to slow down runners.

I think this would have a good impact on the meta, as it would take away from the damage focused meta we have now.

Shuriyo

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

except that King of the hill (if it worked similar as to gw1) would force groups to bring more CC and Boon removal to counter Stabilety plays. Relic running would force groups to bring players with strong mobilety and snares to slow down runners.

I think this would have a good impact on the meta, as it would take away from the damage focused meta we have now.

That’s possible, but I doubt it. Players would bring about as much cc as they normally would anyway, and if someone is running a relic it just gives the entire opposing team a priority target. Not much your team could do about it.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

I never played GW1, but this sounds freaking amazing.

If they just took GW1 PvP and ported it to GW2

This 2 posts sums it up.

Anet to have a true esport, or even at least a real competive/alive PvP scene should have done 2 things:

-pick up GW1 pvp, adapt the mechanics to new combat polish few issues and such;
-slap it in GW2 with the new graphics and flavour or adding few new modes.

Done. And would have took half of the time they spent to made spvp.

How could they waste 5-7 years and, with the Gw1 PvP base, come up with this…THING…. is beyond my understanding.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

wow man, HA realy? HA was the most stupid, new player unfriendly, rank discriminating system ever introduced to MMO, infested by gimmick builds that require no skill at all.
By the way all serious gvg players went there only to get rank emotes and once got phoenix all left and never gone back there again.
GvG on the other hand was well and working, I don’t understand why Anet decided to kill the guild system of GW1? GvG monthly were great and real fun, thought it had some problems as-well.
Peace,
Volted.

HA wasn’t always that bad, and people could still access if it if they tried hard enough in the later years. But obviously you shouldn’t have to “try” to get in to a match of pvp. The HA community killed itself. Though I don’t wtf is with the esport talk. HoH wasn’t “esports” it was a fun mode that was part of GW1’s more diverse palette.

The great forum duppy.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

HA wasn’t always that bad, and people could still access if it if they tried hard enough in the later years. But obviously you shouldn’t have to “try” to get in to a match of pvp. The HA community killed itself. Though I don’t wtf is with the esport talk. HoH wasn’t “esports” it was a fun mode that was part of GW1’s more diverse palette.

While the last line is certainly valid, HoH was always gimmick builds, elitism, and questionably thought-out maps. I don’t know why people reference it as some bastion of fun… it hardly was and most of us who played GvG didn’t touch the place if we could help it. Even though we were forced to win to get Sigils unless we wanted to pay out of the nose for them early on.

RA was a better test of skill than HoH.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

Guess Vena never got to win a HoH. This could save the PvP in GW2. leave conquest fot the e-sport wannabys, and replace hotjoin with this.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

RA was a better test of skill than HoH.

RA was the most gimmicky, luck based and frustrating PvP mode in GW1.
And yet, I’d rather have team death matches than conquest in GW2.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Vena.8436

Vena.8436

Guess Vena never got to win a HoH. This could save the PvP in GW2. leave conquest fot the e-sport wannabys, and replace hotjoin with this.

I got to win HoH plenty, but don’t you worry about defending your ideas of what is good or bad with anything short of pointless attacks on the speaker. From the original spiritway to VIM to IWAY to Flareway to Smiteballs, I saw all the gimmicks that walked the… halls… of HoH.

What you remember is some mythical place of nostalgia.

Comically enough, the map to define the “winner” of HoH was nothing short of a conquest variant reliant on an idiotic NPC to cap a point.

RA was the most gimmicky, luck based and frustrating PvP mode in GW1.
And yet, I’d rather have team death matches than conquest in GW2.

We did a lot of TA back in the day when it was around but when they removed it, RA became the loop-holed TA with syncs.

Vena/Var – Guardian/Thief
[Eon] – Blackgate

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

Taking a step back and having a good look at GW1 pvp and GW2 pvp, comparing how both game feel like, amount of content and quality of content you come up with 1 conclusion.

GW2 pvp compared to GW1 pvp seems like a really bad short comic compared to idk… something like Lord Of The Rings The Two Towers book.

No content, no depth, no real goal to it, no firm idea of how it should be. Something that came to be from pve foundations of the game design. A FrankenPvP!

And yeah, even tho for most RA was the worst pvp format in GW1, I loved it, I enjoyed it and i got to gladi rank 7 only doing RA. And the thing was that pvp format was not forced upon you in case you wanted to do pvp but you didn’t like it. There was still HA and GvG,.. and TA or even HB.

My main pvp format was GvG ofcourse, but when there wasn’t enough people online from my guild, doing a few rounds in RA even to practice your split character build was great too…

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

It’s just my opinion, but head to head battles are the best ones to test your skill, you have nowhere to run, no gimmicks.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Nukk.3492

Nukk.3492

I agree 100% but the reason they didn’t do this is because they wanted GW2 PvP to be an e-sport. HA wasn’t really e-sport material no matter how awesome it was because it was impossible to balance with all the different class/subclass, skill, game types involved. This is less of an issue with GW2 but they put all their PvP resources into trying to make it an e-sport first and slowly make it more enjoyable for most of the players and they needed to do that in reverse order. Especially because they didn’t launch with the features needed to be an e-sport anyways.

They watered it down in order to be make it easier to balance.

Fewer (one in total) game modes = easier to balance the game.
Fewer skills (tied to weapon sets) = easier to balance the game.
No dual classing = easier to balance the game.
Fewer maps = easier to balance the game.

With all these concessions they’ve made to make the game easier to balance you would think that – I dunno just throwing ideas around – that the game would actually be somewhat freaking balanced!!

I understand that they didn’t want to make GW1 v 2.0 and props for going out on a limb but its so disappointing having experienced the majesty of GW1 PvP. I would have expected something as good but different with GW2 – especially how they hyped it as e-sport material and being skill based etc. – and while the game may be fun to play (in short bursts) the PvP is just not the same calibre as the first game, unfortunately.

I hope they learn from their mistakes, if they ever make a GW3.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Is it still possible to play GW1 PvP, or are there not enough people in the game to get matches?

I ask because it seems as though you should play what you like. I enjoy GW2 PvP more than I did GW1 PvP, so I play GW2 PvP. If you like GW1 PvP, and there is still enough people to get games, why not just go play it?

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: ThatShortGuy.4672

ThatShortGuy.4672

I got to win HoH plenty, but don’t you worry about defending your ideas of what is good or bad with anything short of pointless attacks on the speaker. From the original spiritway to VIM to IWAY to Flareway to Smiteballs, I saw all the gimmicks that walked the… halls… of HoH.

Gimmicks like those are a result of the class system, not HoH. Ranger and necro spike made it into GvG and many teams did well with it. My guild made it into the top 40 with ranger spike.

Comically enough, the map to define the “winner” of HoH was nothing short of a conquest variant reliant on an idiotic NPC to cap a point.

And that “idiotic NPC” added another element to the game. Miss that interrupt and it becomes an uphill game.

We did a lot of TA back in the day when it was around but when they removed it, RA became the loop-holed TA with syncs.

Did that a lot too

What I’m trying to say is that you can’t blame HoH for GW1 becoming “Build Wars”; it was the class system of dual professions and tones of skills. Having the concept of HoH in GW2 would be really sweet! A tournament where you actually feel progression not only with your account/toon but within the tourny too. And icing on the cake where you get some rewards that actually feel like rewards!

That Cloaked One / That Phantom Memser / That Dark One
ThatShortGuy.com

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Poo > TPvP
It’s true.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

ThatShortGuy.4672

This game was designed around cap points, there is no dedicated healer so you have to split it up. Therefore, any other game type is not possible. I don’t know why people do not understand this.

While that’s true that’s not stopping ANet from implementing a tournament where you progress and feel a sense of reward for it.

We already have a few variations of cap points and there are probably plenty more. If your team holds two points for X amount of time, you gain a boost or something along those lines for example.

ThatShortGuy.com

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Gandarel.5091

Is it still possible to play GW1 PvP, or are there not enough people in the game to get matches?

I ask because it seems as though you should play what you like. I enjoy GW2 PvP more than I did GW1 PvP, so I play GW2 PvP. If you like GW1 PvP, and there is still enough people to get games, why not just go play it?

We hardly had enough players for HA 1-2 months before GW2’s launch, but now only multiboxers and bots are able to play due to low population number.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Beren Forever.1379

We hardly had enough players for HA 1-2 months before GW2’s launch, but now only multiboxers and bots are able to play due to low population number.

Now, the population isn’t low; there is no population at all. I went there yesterday, I even checked asian servers: nobody but me. I don’t know who won the Hall for the last time and when…

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Haha loved body blocking a flag dude in last few secs for a morale boost , kitten i so miss gvg/ladder/hoh/arenas

[WM]give us in game ladder

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Anet has never stated why they completely abandoned the gw1 pvp formula for gw2 pvp. I can understand tweaks and changes that weren’t possible in gw1. But they literally have taken nothing from gw1 pvp but skill names.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.6245

Archaon.6245

Anet has never stated why they completely abandoned the gw1 pvp formula for gw2 pvp. I can understand tweaks and changes that weren’t possible in gw1. But they literally have taken nothing from gw1 pvp but skill names.

And this is the most stupid choice in video games history ever…

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Veteran Oakheart.4035

Veteran Oakheart.4035

GvG looked more like soccer, GW2 tpvp look more like…. i have nothing to compare to tbh :P But it lacks some flavour

BTW ToPK was so cool, remember holding with BR Ranger spike for hours ! dshot dat capturing ghostly hero !!

Spirit Spammer Joe – Legend x2 (S1) ~ GW 2005-2007 best gaming experience~
www.youtube.com/user/stephnbf
www.twitch.tv/veteran_oakheart

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Gold rewards are better than gem rewards, because it makes pvpve players happy, and because gold can be traded for gems other players have brought.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Beren Forever.1379

Double fame WEEK!! Till next monday people play HA! The HoH has already been won 3 times, they are more than enough team. Go go go HA ID 1 !

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

The issue with threads like this where its all…. GW1 PvP was awesome port it to GW2 NOW!!!… is that while yes, GW1 did infact have amaing pvp, it will not work in the GW2 era because of lack of healing. For better or worse, because each class was created to be responsible for their own health a game style like capture the points is one of the only mechanics that would work.

Imagine your playing a HA game with GW2 professions. First round you come up to your opponents and the team fight occurs, 1 person gets burst down pretty quickly and now your team lost the team fight and thus the game. GG. A whole 30 seconds passed and the match is over. With conquest a team fight starts going bad and your team is able to then try and move for map control while you wait for your timed revivals to get back in the match. Death match with other mechanics ala HA/GvG just plain wont work.

Im sorry. GvG and HA will never work in GW2.

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: TGSlasher.1458

TGSlasher.1458

Conquest/point capture just does nothing but promote the bunker burst or gfto mentality, its a really poorly balanced mode that pretty much does zero to promote build diversity or team strategy.

SPvP feels more like AB than anything.
Only not all that fun.

GW1’s PvP was just so much more diverse and enjoyable.

This is why I have stopped play tPvP, cant get anyone from my team to play it due to the play mentality and locked in builds.

GW1 I could run a barrage all ranger build, or a all trap rangers build and still do reasonably well (not as good as non pug teams but still).

The lamest thing about GW1 was the rank discrimination, sorry you cant join use because your rank 1 and we want rank 1billions. And so you stayed at rank 1 (the problems of not joining GW1 on release).

Slasher Sladorian – Charr Warrior – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Sladorian – Charr Ranger – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows
Sophea Of Elements – Human Elementalist – [DECM] | Sea of Sorrows

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

ThatShortGuy.4672

The issue with threads like this where its all…. GW1 PvP was awesome port it to GW2 NOW!!!… is that while yes, GW1 did infact have amaing pvp, it will not work in the GW2 era because of lack of healing. For better or worse, because each class was created to be responsible for their own health a game style like capture the points is one of the only mechanics that would work.

Imagine your playing a HA game with GW2 professions. First round you come up to your opponents and the team fight occurs, 1 person gets burst down pretty quickly and now your team lost the team fight and thus the game. GG. A whole 30 seconds passed and the match is over. With conquest a team fight starts going bad and your team is able to then try and move for map control while you wait for your timed revivals to get back in the match. Death match with other mechanics ala HA/GvG just plain wont work.

I think most people don’t want a literal HA in GW2; more of the foundation of it. It’d be nice to have a tournament where it actually feels like you’re progressing your account/character in PvP AND PvE (albeit slower than a dedicated PvEr). For example the guild/group broadcast after a HoH win — even without the favor stuff — was pretty sweet. Recognition for any competitive person is awesome! The winners of HoH also get an RNG chest that gives out highend PvE loot — with a chance of crap — but a fun (yet, slow) way to get some PvE money.

As for map types, it was just be like it is now with conquest and variations of it. I’d like to think most sPvP players are aware that the lack of targeted healing makes the map objectives in GW1 HA obsolete.

ArenaNet could even benefit with PvE money going to PvPers too. Giving PvPers gold will inflate gems prices as they use their cash on gems. Which means PvPers are using the gemstore much more and are more likely to even purchase gems for real money. Win/win for ArenaNet; PvP players are a happier, more players will at least try PvP and ArenaNet rakes in some more cash.

ThatShortGuy.com

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: SapphireGrace.7123

SapphireGrace.7123

I think most people don’t want a literal HA in GW2; more of the foundation of it. It’d be nice to have a tournament where it actually feels like you’re progressing your account/character in PvP AND PvE (albeit slower than a dedicated PvEr). For example the guild/group broadcast after a HoH win — even without the favor stuff — was pretty sweet. Recognition for any competitive person is awesome! The winners of HoH also get an RNG chest that gives out highend PvE loot — with a chance of crap — but a fun (yet, slow) way to get some PvE money.

As for map types, it was just be like it is now with conquest and variations of it. I’d like to think most sPvP players are aware that the lack of targeted healing makes the map objectives in GW1 HA obsolete.

ArenaNet could even benefit with PvE money going to PvPers too. Giving PvPers gold will inflate gems prices as they use their cash on gems. Which means PvPers are using the gemstore much more and are more likely to even purchase gems for real money. Win/win for ArenaNet; PvP players are a happier, more players will at least try PvP and ArenaNet rakes in some more cash.

You’re right. When I said earlier in this thread I wanted an HA, I didn’t mean to literally port it; I want the concept like you said. Some of the ideas you listed were what made HA alone fun; the high-end chests and the recognition because your name was broadcasted to everyone. Many people liked HAing just because of the awesome rewards. The “Halls timers” and map progression were also interesting concepts that were really unique, and map progression was great.

Another thing I liked about HA was that while it was highly competitive, there was no rating to lose if you lost, unlike GvG. I just wish they’d bring back the concept of HA, because it was really, really, really fun. I hope ANet considers bringing it back.

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Tombing was indeed the best PVP I’ve ever played. It’s was good on so many levels. The only thing missing was solo join option (briefly existed)

I’ve been mostly PVE although I do like so PVP from time to time. Tombing, however was a different story entirely. There’s nothing like having your name broadcasted to the entire world. An elusive goal and it only happened twice for me but still, it was a dream come true.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Tombing was indeed the best PVP I’ve ever played. It’s was good on so many levels. The only thing missing was solo join option (briefly existed)

If SoloQ for HA would be available back in times, it would have been so huge.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

ThatShortGuy.4672

I honestly don’t remember solo joining a team ever existing, but maybe my memory sucks. I can see why it wouldn’t work though. We have the same problem with soloQ right now: a PUG getting rolled by a premade team.

It’s a nice thought, but in GW2’s case, that’s why we have hotjoin. Rank discrimination was a big pet peeve to many PvP newbies in GW1 so ArenaNet gave us a place to go and “farm” rank points PUG vs PUG.

ThatShortGuy.com

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

I honestly don’t remember solo joining a team ever existing, but maybe my memory sucks. I can see why it wouldn’t work though. We have the same problem with soloQ right now: a PUG getting rolled by a premade team.

It’s a nice thought, but in GW2’s case, that’s why we have hotjoin. Rank discrimination was a big pet peeve to many PvP newbies in GW1 so ArenaNet gave us a place to go and “farm” rank points PUG vs PUG.

The problem back in HA was that unranked players were dhummed to search for other unranked groups. I think with a solo-join, they could have met together much better. When I started I couldn’t find a group most of the times. Many unranked-players were driven away by that, because standing for 1 hour there and can’t find a group is not really fun.

Back to GW2, the major problem is that solojoin akka hotjoin is a better way to farm your rank than in the more skilled tournaments. I don’t have any problem to let casuals farm their rank, but it’s not healthy that these grinders have faster rank progression than successfull tournament-teams. That takes incentive away from competitive PvP.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

ThatShortGuy.4672

The problem back in HA was that unranked players were dhummed to search for other unranked groups. I think with a solo-join, they could have met together much better. When I started I couldn’t find a group most of the times. Many unranked-players were driven away by that, because standing for 1 hour there and can’t find a group is not really fun.

Back to GW2, the major problem is that solojoin akka hotjoin is a better way to farm your rank than in the more skilled tournaments. I don’t have any problem to let casuals farm their rank, but it’s not healthy that these grinders have faster rank progression than successfull tournament-teams. That takes incentive away from competitive PvP.

Hopefully a HA-like tournament can solve the incentive part. More people will want to form a team and compete for the glory of a broadcast and some PvE loot.

I just think ArenaNet is using hotjoin/soloQ as a way to “water down” the rank importance to players. It’s not an end-all-be-all skill title now, but gives other players an idea that this person might know what they are doing.

Maybe rank points need to be upped a bit in tourny play, but that’s a whole new topic.

ThatShortGuy.com

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Gandarel.5091

Solojoin wouldn’t work in GW1’s HA, for the same reason what was happening in RA. If you are unlucky and get no healer, you better resign.

But here, almost every random mix of professions can work, so HA would be awesome.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

Solojoin wouldn’t work in GW1’s HA, for the same reason what was happening in RA. If you are unlucky and get no healer, you better resign.

But here, almost every random mix of professions can work, so HA would be awesome.

Yep, that wasn’t very well thought. Nevertheless, HA in its format is not really fitting GW2. In general deathmatch would require heavy customization.

Read It Backwards [BooN]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Gandarel.5091

I think deathmatch would work Did some 2v2s with friends in my CA just for the funzies, and even bunkers went down. Not a gamebreaker if you take one or don’t.

Some reworked or new formats, doesn’t matter, I don’t think ppl want the exact same HA back, just a global tournament where winning a match actually makes you feel some kind of progress, the more you win the more rank points you get, many maps and game modes are maxed in a row, and the HoH winner team is broadcasted, gets into observer and has access to some kind of reward.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Parisalchuk.9230

Parisalchuk.9230

I think deathmatch would work Did some 2v2s with friends in my CA just for the funzies, and even bunkers went down. Not a gamebreaker if you take one or don’t.

Some reworked or new formats, doesn’t matter, I don’t think ppl want the exact same HA back, just a global tournament where winning a match actually makes you feel some kind of progress, the more you win the more rank points you get, many maps and game modes are maxed in a row, and the HoH winner team is broadcasted, gets into observer and has access to some kind of reward.

They had this with reward chests in the 3 round tournaments. People complained that they took too long to complete.

So which is it community – are you willing to play in a pvp match for a possible long time, or do you want shorter matches?

O O O O I I I O – Spoons and Sporks [Soup] (Retired)
http://www.twitch.tv/parisalchuk

Heroes' Ascent > tPvP

in PvP

Empathetic Fighter.2065

They had this with reward chests in the 3 round tournaments. People complained that they took too long to complete.

So which is it community – are you willing to play in a pvp match for a possible long time, or do you want shorter matches?

The original problem wasn’t really the time, but moreover the entry-fee for paid-tournaments and the lost challenge in free-tournaments, due to no MMR and obviously the paid-tournaments, where the best teams were only playing in.
After they took the 3-round paid tournament away and replaced it with 1-round paid-tournaments, the competitive scene was there. Meanwhile the 3-round tournament still were in place, but as said, the 1-round tournaments took all the competitive teams into it, while 3-round tournaments were left to soloQers. So the question was for SoloQers: Do I farm 3-round tournaments without any guarantee, or do I farm Hotjoin, where I get more points in less time. That’s why 3-round tournaments died and A-Net was not cappable of providing a real tournament-system. So now we have 1 round tournaments. . . and that’s it.

Read It Backwards [BooN]