How do I carry in solo queue?

in PvP

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

So my winrate in solo queue isn’t that hot. Mainly due to copius 4v5s or having complete scrubs as teammates when fighting against teams with multiple people with champ titles.

I honestly get kittened off if I lose when my teammates suck, so how do I carry them to victory in terms of builds and strategies?

I’ve heard of people getting 20+ solo Q wins in a row before they lose.. so they carry somehow.

Also I play mainly necro and ranger in pvp and prefer condition oriented builds. Thanks for any advice you guys can give.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

If those two classes are what you play best, I’d say focus on some power necro to carry. If people let your lich spam 1 for too long you will easily wipe an entire team. That’s probably your better choice over trying to carry with condi.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

Identify the philosophy of your team-mates and react accordingly based on whatever class you are playing (although if you really want to boost your win rate you’d do your best to counter comp the enemy and bring the class that would most benefit your team).

There are many games where no matter what you do, you will lose by no fault of your own, and just disregard those games or at the very least consider if there was anything else you could have done to put your team in a better situation.

I almost never cap home pt. on my thief, but if at the start 4 people head towards mid… I’ll cap home, and then move accordingly. If you won home and won mid and 2 idiots decide to rush far… or better yet all 4 of them push far… you need to play smarter and do your best to re-enforce mid or home depending on how they split—if you’re lucky the enemy will send 4 to their home to 4v4 and you’ll be left with the only other competent player in the game to shut him down depending on where he pushes.

I think the worst thing you can do is engage in a negative form of communication in any way—especially blaming someone. Not only does it COMPLETELY destroy morale, but it throws everyone off their game and some players are going to be more hellbent on pvp’ing in the chat box than doing basic things to win.

If you lose a team fight, move on. If you see someone lose a 1v1 move on and focus on adapting to the ever-changing situation. If you call him out on losing 1v1 then he’s most likely going to either retaliate or play even worse. Just because he lost a 1v1 doesn’t mean the game is over, maybe he held the point neut for ~20 seconds before he lost—that’s more of a stale-mate if he went far and you’re not really behind in points because of that effort.

The time to debate movements, strategy and tactics is -after- the match via whispers. That’s not to say you shouldn’t communicate, because obviously communication can be vital. Small comments can make a big difference. For example if you lose mid on temple and people keep pushing it while they have a bunker guard play mid say something like “Play sides, let him afk mid.” and if someone argues with what you’ve said, don’t engage them just adapt. If all 4 of them blatantly ignore you, adapt. If they keep rushing mid then justify in your head: ok we have home, and the enemy has a guy sitting far and mid. My team is incessantly pushing mid even with a bunker established on point and I can’t change their minds…. so let’s push mid hard and see what their far pt camper does—if he does nothing, great we should win mid 4.5v4 (someone coming in and out of the main fight to make sure you’re not losing home… probably you since you can’t rely on other people).

etc etc etc

There’s obviously so many possible variations and rotations and I haven’t even scratched the surface, but it’s this sort of awareness and mental engagement that will give you the edge.

Honestly in many games 1 key fight early on can create a land-slide for the rest of the match, even if the teams are typically evenly matched. Helping win the initial mid fight is CRUCIAL—especially on some maps more so than others.

I’ll stop rambling now. GL

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Zelyhn Lekovitch.2867

Play turret engi, it’s auto-win

Zelyhn.8069 [rT]
Retired elementalist theorycrafter

in PvP

Posted by: Lukin.4061

Lukin.4061

Bunk guard the middle is probably best, since if you play well it is possible that enemies will be outnumbered in other fights.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Best advice I can give, don’t rage and argue. The first team that starts bickering amongst themselves will likely lose the match. All it does is frustrate players and makes the situation even worse. Nobody likes losing, but it’s going to happen. There are some games where nothing will go right, and your team will get absolutely destroyed. If you have a problem with some of the calls made during the game, wait until the end like Lux stated to resolve it. Also when you talk to them don’t be a kitten, try to be polite and constructive. If they don’t want to listen, then fine, it’s their loss. They’ll just continue to suffer and bring down other teams.

You don’t want to make enemies. Chances are likely those same people will be on your team in future matches, since you’re around the same mmr. Last thing you want to do is create bad blood.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

Identify the philosophy of your team-mates and react accordingly based on whatever class you are playing (although if you really want to boost your win rate you’d do your best to counter comp the enemy and bring the class that would most benefit your team).

I think the worst thing you can do is engage in a negative form of communication in any way—especially blaming someone. Not only does it COMPLETELY destroy morale, but it throws everyone off their game and some players are going to be more hellbent on pvp’ing in the chat box than doing basic things to win.

^ THIS!
and the rest of this post, but mainly THIS!

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Vee Wee just likes to rush far and keep their home point decapped! Often Vee Wee will end up in a 2v1 for a long time and Vee Wee hopes Vee Wee’s thilly team can win with a numbers advantage!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Win nearly all 1v1s, stalemate the rest and delay 1v2s long enough four your team to win their fights 4v3. Also stop letting points stay uncontested. Bad guys have 4 mid 1 home then go far.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

The best you can hope for is to communicate, using team chat, use pings, call targets and try to bring some organization to your ragtag team. Check your team comp and theirs, try to bring in some basic organization. I like to start games saying where I’m going to go, and asking who can grab home.

Other than that, play your spec the way it needs to be played. Know where to be and where not to be. You can really only bring slight influence to the way others play, so play your best game and that’s all you can worry about.

Also it’s soloQ so sometimes you’re going to get baddies on your team, or get matched against really good players. It happens to everyone and it doesn’t reflect on you unless your win rate is bad over a long period of time.

(edited by Roe.3679)

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

This!

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

(although if you really want to boost your win rate you’d do your best to counter comp the enemy and bring the class that would most benefit your team).

This!

No! Not this!

Don’t just switch to a profession that seems to be good for the team, but you can’t play it -.- Stick to ONE (max two) profession(-s), and just be good with it.

Yes, some of the matches won’t be perfect that way (f.e. maybe a support guardian missing), but in all the other matches you will shine more, due to getting better with your profession.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

nearlight.3064

I don’t really know how to counter enemy comps. To me that sounds like bringing hambow warriors against condition necros or something like that lol.

And yeah, maintaining, a positiive attitude is very difficult for me to do, but you’re right that it will help things go well.

As for frand Vee Wee’s suggestion, that sounds like a good idea, but I’m not sure if I can comfortably 1v2 against decent players on a terror necro or a condition ranger (unless I go celestial or settlers for ranger, but the damage is too low since we don’t have might stacking axe autos yet). I can win most 1v1s on those builds no problem, but team fights I tend to falter if I get focused.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Xaragon.3520

Xaragon.3520

1. Communicate at the beginning of the match state what you are going to do, this does a couple of things it tells your team what you are doing, it gives people encouragement that you know what you are doing and that you intend to win and most importantly it encourages other people to talk and state what they are going to do.

So you have a basis of a plan from the get go.

2. Take responsibility
- Its a really simple game if you manage to hold 2 points the entire game you are going to win.

There are 5 of you, if one person says they are going to hold home, then hold home its your job.

If another person says they will hold middle then hold middle, that leaves 3 people to support both nodes.

if you are getting attacked by 2 people at home say so- people will tend to come help you if they understand the situation.

3. Understand how the decisions you make will affect the rest of the team.

example 1 person says ill push their point and stop them capping it- awesome as long as they do that , thats great.

But if they go there and die, suddenly your a player down with their team outnumbering you on the middle point and most likely you will lose.

4. Understand your class and your team mates classes what they can do and what they can’t.

Sounds simple its not really, I play a power necro i have been doing it since launch with a bit of a break in the middle.

I don’t have stability, i don’t have many escapes i rely on good positioning and experience not to die.

Don’t expect me to be able to come in and res you when your getting cleaved by multiple enemies in down state- believe me i would love to.

On the same token I’m like one of the worst classes to get a stomp, if you have access to stability or some other form of getting a stomp then do so.

Seriously do it.

if you are not stomping make sure you are hurting the downed player, ensure they don’t get a res before the stomp goes off. interrupt the person trying to revive the downed player.

5. Dont trash talk your team,
yes we all get terrible players once in a while but this doesn’t help anyone, i played a game with a top 20 solo queue player the other day who basically for the entire game told everyone how crap they were( I’m not going to name names)

on a side note i played with sizer the other day seemed like a nice guy communicated throughout the game and supported the team.

There are 2 ways to act the right way and the wrong way.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Actually, this is true. Turret engi is not really effective against teams, but in solo queue it is great. It is also brain dead easy to play.

in PvP

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

some skill with it and you wil easy breezy top 50 SoloQ

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

all i can advice is if you want things done right do it yourself. if none wants to bunk , you bunk , if none wants to destroy treb/use treb you do it yourself. none want to grab buffs you get it yourself. by expecting or should i say assuming your teamate will do right thing will lead to frustration, at least if you fail to bunk, get buff, destroy treb you can only blame yourself for sucking.

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

This!

People underestimate the strategy needed in this game. I know for a fact I win 90% of my games because I roam far, win a 1v1 and take their node. Usually keeping it for 2-5 minutes at a time. Between that, knowing when to help mid and retake/roam back to home, grabbing these points and constantly putting pressure adds up!

On Legacy of the foefire, I solo’s the Lord, winning the game by 6 points. One of my partner’s jumped on treb mid game and we came back after being down 150points. Every single action counts, sometimes greatly.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

in PvP

Posted by: Anton.1769

Anton.1769

all i can advice is if you want things done right do it yourself. if none wants to bunk , you bunk , if none wants to destroy treb/use treb you do it yourself. none want to grab buffs you get it yourself. by expecting or should i say assuming your teamate will do right thing will lead to frustration, at least if you fail to bunk, get buff, destroy treb you can only blame yourself for sucking.

no, just turret engie. Will enough

in PvP

Posted by: SPESHAL.9106

SPESHAL.9106

The team with the most bunkers typically wins.

Uncoordinated soloq teams can not take full advantage of certain synergies and class abilities.

Your best bet is to spec bunker and equip runes/sigils/traits that benefit the group.

In my case, I have tons more experience on necro and ranger, but only win a little over 50% if I stick to the standard dps builds. When I switched to my banner heal warrior, it’s ridiculous how much easier it is.

Frankly though, I wouldn’t even play soloq. Many of the most experienced players don’t even bother.

It’s even more frustrating than a hotjoin because at least you expect double capping nodes, going lord at the wrong time, dying off a node, failure to rez/stomp.

Plus, the match-making is still whack and most games are not even close scores.

If you can get real good at a thief, then Soloq would be for you because you can basically just play it like a duel server where you constantly harass far-nodes and pick your fights. If you do it well, then you win your team the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Melanion.4892

Melanion.4892

(although if you really want to boost your win rate you’d do your best to counter comp the enemy and bring the class that would most benefit your team).

This!

No! Not this!

Don’t just switch to a profession that seems to be good for the team, but you can’t play it -.- Stick to ONE (max two) profession(-s), and just be good with it.

Yes, some of the matches won’t be perfect that way (f.e. maybe a support guardian missing), but in all the other matches you will shine more, due to getting better with your profession.

So much disagreement here. If you’re not willing to switch your classes, you’re not going to be much help. Obviously don’t play a class you’re terrible at, but maybe branch out and learn more than 2-3 classes. I’ve gotten to ~rank 25 solo queue by entering on mesmer. You stay on your class if it looks like it’s going to work with your team, but I have a turret engi, hambow, bunker staff ele, condi necro, etc etc waiting just incase the situation calls for it.

Aside from relative awareness of the map, best thing you can do is suit yourself to your team. You play ranger and necro, mostly condi. That is good, but it’s not the greatest at all times. Maybe get familiar with a bunkery class/build and a direct damage dps build/class just in case condi isn’t going to work out.

A lot of it is also what your opponents are. You can generally guess that if the enemy team has a lot of guardians/warriors, they’re going to be bunkery. Lots of engis and necros? Condis and maybe direct damage, or maybe turrets. It’s impossible to be certain, but 1) you’ll start to recognize other players in solo queue and know what build they’re running and 2) at some point you’ll be able to scope out the enemy team and see that their engi is running p/p so he’s probably condi, etc etc.

Claude – Pink Fairy Mesmer

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

Plus, the match-making is still whack and most games are not even close scores.

that is mostly players to blame as i experienced. often times it just needs a little demotivation on one single player and off goes the snowball (situational to afk/feeding/trolling/flaming/trashtalking)

must be very hard for mmr formula to take stupidity or immaturity of players into count

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Lux nailed it. Work with what ya got and don’t waste time trying to change people’s minds. Making anyone change their mind on anything is difficult enough. Consider the additional obstacles to persuading your teammates that your advice/tactics are worth considering:
1) It’s the internet. Empathy isn’t particularly abundant here.
2) These people don’t know who you are and have nothing to establish you as a credible source of information.
3) Human beings often don’t listen to arguments, even if they are perfectly logical and factually sound.
4) You don’t have time to produce a proposition that describes why your tactics are logical or advantageous.
5) Many players don’t even pay attention to chat during games, so even if they did care about what you did have to say and even if they would be open to your suggestions still doesn’t mean they will follow your commands.

Just focus your efforts on working with what your group is doing and fill in the gaps.

Also, if you want to consider a class/build that is particularly flexible with diverse groups, I would recommend either a decap engineer or a bunker guardian. I found that playing a bunker guard was particularly good for solo Q since you can usually just sit on mid the bulk of the game and ensure that you at least have that point capped. A lot of people really love to roam in solo Q, so it’s relatively rare to find many people playing builds that are very strong at just holding mid.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

So much disagreement here. If you’re not willing to switch your classes, you’re not going to be much help. Obviously don’t play a class you’re terrible at, but maybe branch out and learn more than 2-3 classes. I’ve gotten to ~rank 25 solo queue by entering on mesmer. You stay on your class if it looks like it’s going to work with your team, but I have a turret engi, hambow, bunker staff ele, condi necro, etc etc waiting just incase the situation calls for it.

You can look me up on EU SoloQ ladder too if you want, not gonna brag about it

Ofc you have to know, what the other professions can do, about how long their cds are, what the possible builds are, so that you can counter react faster after watching them play (f.e. realize if they play condi, power or something tanky that’s not worth to focus first).

But after that… you should focus on one profession and try to master it. All the good players out there have their ‘own’ profession they are known for, and they are good at.

SoloQ you can win a match with 2 thiefs and 3 mesmer against a balanced bunker setup (I have done this).

My tip: stick with one (max two) professions, master it, and kill all those players who want to just jump on the hype train (f.e. last SoloQ their turret engi had no chance).

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Just to add what Lux said. The moment you start insulting another player is the moment you will lose most of the time. People don’t like to be criticize and when they do get criticize they become defensive and sometimes stop listening to your suggestions.

You have to find a way to say what you want to say without being rude about it. So instead of saying “stop doing this because it is stupid” Or stop being a noob, you can say “what you are trying to do might now work in this situation because of blah blah blah….” The whole point is to get them to willing to change tactics or strategy without looking weak.

Pride and ego will get in the way of logic and reasoning.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

You can look me up on EU SoloQ ladder too if you want, not gonna brag about it

Ofc you have to know, what the other professions can do, about how long their cds are, what the possible builds are, so that you can counter react faster after watching them play (f.e. realize if they play condi, power or something tanky that’s not worth to focus first).

But after that… you should focus on one profession and try to master it. All the good players out there have their ‘own’ profession they are known for, and they are good at.

SoloQ you can win a match with 2 thiefs and 3 mesmer against a balanced bunker setup (I have done this).

My tip: stick with one (max two) professions, master it, and kill all those players who want to just jump on the hype train (f.e. last SoloQ their turret engi had no chance).

Yea, sticking to one prof is good advice. I tanked my ranking quite a bit the last time I switched professions, lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Lux.7169

Lux.7169

On the topic of swapping professions, I exclusively play one class and spec all the time, for virtually the past 18 months… or at least since they nerfed haste.

I don’t think that was too my winrate advantage—there are MANY sky hammer games that I lost where I could have more easily made a difference had I gone engi or mesmer or swapped my thief spec to fit the map. I don’t enjoy playing that way and would rather lose than specifically try to counter comp. That’s not saying that sticking with one profession is bad, but there are distinct advantages that come with the ability to bring more options into any particular game. If we’re talking exclusively about carrying teams to win more, as opposed to enjoying the format in the way each of us prefers.

[SoF]

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

I think that walking into a solo queue and expecting to carry it is only going to drive you insane. Really the only thing you can possible do is focus on how well YOU play in any given situation.

Don’t Think: “how am I in this 1v3 right now?”

Think: “how can I make this 1v3 last long enough for my team to be able to cap every other point?”

That thought process is how you win solo queues. Focus on what you can do. Focusing on what your team does is for teamspeak and teamqueues.

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

I think that walking into a solo queue and expecting to carry it is only going to drive you insane. Really the only thing you can possible do is focus on how well YOU play in any given situation.

Very important for your sanity. I am at a point where I literally laugh at the stupid things people do in solo q rather than attempt to type anything or rage. Smile and shake my head in amusement.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

On the topic of swapping professions, I exclusively play one class and spec all the time, for virtually the past 18 months… or at least since they nerfed haste.

I don’t think that was too my winrate advantage—there are MANY sky hammer games that I lost where I could have more easily made a difference had I gone engi or mesmer or swapped my thief spec to fit the map. I don’t enjoy playing that way and would rather lose than specifically try to counter comp. That’s not saying that sticking with one profession is bad, but there are distinct advantages that come with the ability to bring more options into any particular game. If we’re talking exclusively about carrying teams to win more, as opposed to enjoying the format in the way each of us prefers.

Yea, having a different spec to swap to for Skyham is pretty important.

I run a S/D Trickery Thief build, but when the queue pops for Skyham, I swap to D/P, change heal to Hide in Shadows, and swap Inf Sig for Scorpion Wire.

Love it or hate it, if you get a slice of Skyham, you gotta bring the cheese (knockbacks and pulls).

in PvP

nearlight.3064

Wow more great advice guys. Just trying to apply this mindset has helped me so much. Now I get into more death threats from enemy MM necros (sólo queue is filled to the brim with them for some reason) and turret engis instead of arguments with my own teammates.

I also changed my builds around to be a bit more mobile so I can get from point to point faster to de cap and cap. Basically just by taking wurm and walk on necro, and hunt signet over renewal for ranger.

I am guilty of preferring roaming to bunkering in pvp. For skyhammer necro tends to have enough fear to do well but for ranger I might replace torch with offhand axe just for the pull.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

Now I get into more death threats from enemy MM necros (sólo queue is filled to the brim with them for some reason) and turret engis

They play them because they hope to 1v1 anyone on a side point. They suck in teamfights because they ether get destroyed by cleave, or they’re just not useful because of stupid AI attacking random things or not attacking at all. On an offpoint in a 1v1, at least they can hope that they can overwhelm you with AI. An afk death factory is created on a side point that can best be countered by good communication. So you don’t see much success with these builds in team que.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

Longbow is also pretty great for Skyham. You get an instant knockback with no unique animation or cast time to it away. =P

It’s pretty easy to avoid the axe…but you may have the advantage of catching people off guard since almost no one uses axe offhand in PvP, lol!

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

SoloQ is absolutely random, toss in a lot of “Jump on the win team” champs from spectate, and you have a pot of YuckYuck. You know this when you queue. You know this.

So why not take the appropriate outlook? Why not do the best YOU can to have YOUR fun? Maybe your fun is eating Warrior Face all day long? I know that is one of mine, I find Hambow yummy. I don’t get into a perma 1v1 or off-point fighting, I take it to the cap point nearby.

Find your fun, do it, don’t get wrapped up in the negative aspects as they simply will never change. Unbalanced teams, low skilled team mates, overskilled opponent team, jumping jack spectators, on and on. This all can not be fixed or resolved.

Play for fun. It is a game.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

nearlight.3064

Longbow is also pretty great for Skyham. You get an instant knockback with no unique animation or cast time to it away. =P

It’s pretty easy to avoid the axe…but you may have the advantage of catching people off guard since almost no one uses axe offhand in PvP, lol!

Yeah I just can’t really use longbow on a condition build with of gimping myself. I mean I could switch to glassbow to Counter it but I despise power ranger in pvp.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

To win soloq consistently I find that using pure support or pure spike dps helps. My fav setups for carrying is either pure glassbow ranger or zerker staff ele, shout heal celestial warrior, aquatic benevolence celestial staff ele or regen bm ranger. These builds, for me, have yielded the best results.
In the end most of the time success is rooted in map awareness and knowing your own limits (meaning, if you gotta run or forfeit a node do so instead of giving the enemy 5 points + node)

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Posted by: Dagins.5163

Dagins.5163

It works two ways: you can trash talk and make your opponents rage quit. If you do it correctly and hit a soft spot, they won’t be able to continue match and make their team a huge disadvantage! It’s easy to make 4vs5 this way!

You can:
- t-bag corpses,
- laugh,
- blame (best to focus on a single player),
- taunt,
- boast,
- hunt a single player,
- etc.

Just avoid swearing, because it has low style and isn’t that effective anyway.

Signed, level 1 alt

in PvP

Posted by: Otaking.4675

Otaking.4675

To carry play a d/d or s/f ele really well.

You could also play a very good hambow.

These two classes are the core of the meta right now for a reason.

There is no job those two can’t help with and they dominate at most things. Think about it.

Home guard, far assault, you name it and they are at least as 80 percent as effective as say a pure bunker guard. In assault jobs they are like 120% as effective as most.

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

play a fast high damage tank like zerker lb/gs war, celestial engy, or dd ele and roam around obliterating the noobs on the other team, then their moderate noobs will try to res and you cleave them, then their 1 or 2 good players are in a temporary 2v5 and you kill them too. Always find the weak link and destroy them, it’s how I win all my matches (have a 75% winrate over almost 100 games since ladder reset)

Edit: also some basic things like:

• always expect to use a stunbreak (finger always over the button no matter what, i use my mouse thumb buttons) especially on skyham you can stop being pulled by stealth people if you expect to be pulled and instantly react as your body gets thrown into the pit (actually pretty easy).
  • cleaving downed people is almost always better than stomping since you usually kill the ressers too (unless your ally is down then pop stab and stomp them)
  • dont stand in the middle of the teamfight or infront of people with cleaving attacks that arnt targeting you, you can do just as much damage on the outside of the teamfight and only need to stand on the point if there is no one else there.
  • think of your noobs as meat shields, if they are getting stomped most of the time you can just cleave down the guy trying to stomp instead of trying to res (mainly for gs war, best build for soloq imo)
  • it’s ok to run from fights, if you are low and the enemy isnt close to dying then just run away, all of the classes i mentioned should have no trouble surviving, just run far enough to reset and get a fast heal then come back in, only takes ~13 seconds

(edited by Zirith.6429)

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Wait..what?

D/D Ele – requires skill
Hambow – requires face

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: Zirith.6429

Zirith.6429

they are both completely faceroll lol

in PvP

Posted by: osiris.4623

osiris.4623

winning is for losers…

in PvP

Posted by: Otaking.4675

Otaking.4675

Wait..what?

D/D Ele – requires skill
Hambow – requires face

D/D and any flavor of ele (s/f is strong in the meta) takes more skill to run I agree, but you can also be a bad hambow or a very good lethal hambow.

In the end it doesn’t matter how much skill it takes to drive the class but the output that the class is capable of. You are not locking down the rest of the team with a d/d and you are not driving the dps home with just a hambow for instance.

in PvP

Posted by: baerly.7204

baerly.7204

There is no job those two can’t help with and they dominate at most things. Think about it.

Home guard, far assault, you name it and they are at least as 80 percent as effective as say a pure bunker guard. In assault jobs they are like 120% as effective as most.

haven’t played in a while
why s/f over s/d and is that a fresh air zerker build?

in PvP

Posted by: hehk.8705

hehk.8705

Play a class you fully understand, classes good for 1v1s usually work better. Rotate according to what you know and to compensate your team’s weaknesses.

Most people in solo que are nice and want to win. Just do not be an kitten and your team will usually not disappoint you, salty people usually weigh more when you try to carry

Curie is my smooth Australian sensei.

in PvP

nearlight.3064

S/F has emerged as a better option in a fresh air set up becuase it has better active defenses, and cen deal all its damage from ranged while kiting. S/D does have higher, more complicated burst potential, but its less practical because many of the one shot combos depend on using lightning flash in the middle of a cast to be effective, and thats not a good cooldown to rely on. Furthermore, being in melee to land some of those skills when you’re glass doesn’t help you against things like warriors.

Anyway yeah, I like S/F ele a lot too. I’m kind of torn though, since some people said to specialize in 1 or 2 classes to really be good at them, but I like ele, necro, and ranger all equally.

Necromancer Main
Nintendo games..

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

S/F has emerged as a better option in a fresh air set up becuase it has better active defenses, and cen deal all its damage from ranged while kiting. S/D does have higher, more complicated burst potential, but its less practical because many of the one shot combos depend on using lightning flash in the middle of a cast to be effective, and thats not a good cooldown to rely on. Furthermore, being in melee to land some of those skills when you’re glass doesn’t help you against things like warriors.

Anyway yeah, I like S/F ele a lot too. I’m kind of torn though, since some people said to specialize in 1 or 2 classes to really be good at them, but I like ele, necro, and ranger all equally.

Specializing in 1-2 classes to get really really good is kinda a bunch of crap. The only way to get truly good is to understand the classes and how to play your class in any given sitation. There comes a point where you need to start learning how to other classes operate to actually be anywhere near good.

That said, I would highly recommend you select a main and stick with it if you’re new. When you come across something giving you a hard time, don’t be a sucker and just go roll one and try it with the perspective of figuring out its weaknesses and general usage. It might not help you kill it, but it will help mitigate the buttpounding you receive which is one of the most important things to learn. That always helped me!

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

basically, yes. it sacrifices mobility and cc over a bit more survivability and dps.

Specializing in 1-2 classes to get really really good is kinda a bunch of crap. The only way to get truly good is to understand the classes and how to play your class in any given sitation. There comes a point where you need to start learning how to other classes operate to actually be anywhere near good.

THIS!

you don’t have to be able to play every profession on a pro level, that’s a stupid thing to ask of anybody. put rom on an ele and zapdos/denshee on a warrior and they will both suck compared to their main class, but if you’re experiencing any difficulties against a certain profession, roll it, play a few matches in SQ, try out different metas, go to the 1v1 king of the hill servers, watch others play it. it helps a bunch. and always remember: a good player adapts to an enemy and doesn’t enforce his own playstyle over anybody.

That said, I would highly recommend you select a main and stick with it if you’re new. When you come across something giving you a hard time, don’t be a sucker and just go roll one and try it with the perspective of figuring out its weaknesses and general usage. It might not help you kill it, but it will help mitigate the buttpounding you receive which is one of the most important things to learn. That always helped me!

yeah, well... i just tried to rephrase this!

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

(edited by tanztante.6532)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

I wouldn’t bother specialising in s/f, as your first. Condition Necro will be strong in the next meta, work on that

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: DrOrange.9230

DrOrange.9230

Hambow warrior = free win, or turret engi, i hear those are the new op