How is reward track progress calculated?

in PvP

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

So far, we assumed that rank points earned translated to reward track progression 1:1. We further assumed that all reward tracks were equal in their progression. People have been editing the wiki back and forth because based on individuals players’ observations, reward tracks seem to take either 24000 or 40000 rank points to finish (or something completely different).

This does not seem to be the case, as you can see here.

Have any of you other players done any “research” on your own, or ideally, please please please, can a dev give us some insight?

• Is reward track progress supposed to be the same as rank point progress?
  • Is reward track progress linear, i.e. does the “tier 1, slice 1” take the same amount of points (rank or reward points) to complete as “tier 8, slice 5”?
  • Do all reward tracks have the same point requirements or are some of them “slower” in their progression? I.e. does the glorious track require more points in total than a dungeon track?
  • Do bonus potions award a constant number of points (some say 250, some say 300, some say 500, some say half-a-slice, some say 1.25% of a total reward track but haven’t specified which reward track)

I have ~100 bonus potions stacked up right now, sadly that is not enough to go through the (up to) 6 different types of reward track (dungeon, regional, glorious, Blathazar, Dry Top and Silverwastes) and keep close notes on rank point progress vs. reward track progress and figure out the math behind this myself.

If you’re a dev and you just know how it is supposed to work, could you kindly let us know? Because it is not easy to test and it’s driving several of us crazy. We would like to be able to put accurate information in the wiki, and right now all we have is a bunch of conflicting empirical data and it’s a mess.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Reward track progress is not tied to rank points in any way, and has its own balance between wins, losses, and the different arena types.
Reward track progress is linear, and the same for all tracks.
Potions give a fixed amount.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Groonz.7825

Groonz.7825

Could you be more specific? and tell us how much progress we actually get from the different arenas and whatnot.

The potions give 1% is all I know.

in PvP

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

Potions actually give exactly half a bar, as my tests this morning demonstrate.

https://i.imgur.com/zmlVTAW.png

https://i.imgur.com/HEhCWyU.png

So that’d be 1.25% towards the entire track.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

in PvP

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Reward track progress is not tied to rank points in any way, and has its own balance between wins, losses, and the different arena types.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Knowing this, we can probably work out the rest on our own.

I have one more question – do bonus points (e.g. for top stats or autobalancing) count towards reward track progress at all?

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

I have one more question – do bonus points (e.g. for top stats or autobalancing) count towards reward track progress at all?

No. But keep in mind celebration and birthday boosters increase reward track progress.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in PvP

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

No. But keep in mind celebration and birthday boosters increase reward track progress.

Do they also apply the increase to the 1% potions from dailys?

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in PvP

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Can you tell us why you can’t tell us?

It seems an odd thing to keep hidden.

Also, is ranked/unranked the same progress on reward track (as it is with rank points)?

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

Can you tell us why you can’t tell us?

It seems an odd thing to keep hidden.

Also, is ranked/unranked the same progress on reward track (as it is with rank points)?

because gamers are notorious exploiters and hackers. the more info they have the more they are able to cheat the system. its why we cant have nice things.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

because gamers are notorious exploiters and hackers. the more info they have the more they are able to cheat the system. its why we cant have nice things.

Actually, ANet is generally very helpful in providing information to wiki editors, for just about everything except specific drop rates. Sometimes, ANet prefers that the community figure stuff out first, after which ANet will verify the conclusions (or not, depending). And even for drop rates, ANet is willing to say if folks are in the right ballpark or not.

However, in this case, it’s hard to see why ANet would want to hide the mechanics for PvP, when they readily expose the equivalent mechanics for Achievement Points, WvW Ranks, among other things.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

in PvP

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

But not from the item/points consumable (can’t think off the top of my head what they’re called) from the daily pvp achieves, correct?
Those boosters only affect the match end rewards/bonus top X player rewards, correct?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

in PvP

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Thank you, kind sir. <3

in PvP

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

So no matter if I win or lose (in practice matches), my reward track progresses at the same rate?

Cause here I am thinking I need to do anything I can for wins (the 500 points, rather than the 200 I get if I lose) so I get more reward track progress.

Not sure I really understand what it all means.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in PvP

Posted by: oneply.9586

oneply.9586

So no matter if I win or lose (in practice matches), my reward track progresses at the same rate?

Cause here I am thinking I need to do anything I can for wins (the 500 points, rather than the 200 I get if I lose) so I get more reward track progress.

please keep trying. dont become a points farmer.

One Ply To Rule Them All
Bring PPK back to WvW!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

It’s not that wins and losses don’t matter, it’s just that they aren’t going to directly correspond to the 500/200 rank points you get. For example, maybe you get 1/2 or 2/3 the progress for losing a hot join compared to winning. You’re still getting less progress for losing, just not at a ratio of 500:200.

(Note the 1/2 and 2/3 I just made up as an example. So far, we don’t have any documented player resting with hot join losses and reward track progress. Hopefully I or someone else will get this figured out in the next few days. Keep an eye on the wiki page — I’ve been updating it.)

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Wait what? I didn’t know this, there’s no tooltip that says anything about pvp tracks or rank points. Unless it’s been changed recently…

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

(edited by Random Weird Guy.3528)

in PvP

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

please keep trying. dont become a points farmer.

I only go to the pvp ‘dailies’ room to progress my reward track & to get my dailies done, so I don’t mess up any pro pvp player/s and their points/ranks/whatevers – trust me, I would never want to step foot into true pvp because only the elite/pro’s play there.

I was just wanting to know whether winning or losing mattered in the practice version (in terms of reward track gain).

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Yes, it does. You can test this quite easily by joining a match in Hotjoin right at the start and playing it out to a win or a loss. From my experience, you definitely do get more reward track progress for a win as opposed to a loss.

The interesting thing some people are reporting is that a full-time win in Hotjoin actually gives more reward track progress than a full-time loss in Unranked. I had thought that it was the same.

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

I only go to the pvp ‘dailies’ room to progress my reward track & to get my dailies done, so I don’t mess up any pro pvp player/s and their points/ranks/whatevers – trust me, I would never want to step foot into true pvp because only the elite/pro’s play there.

There’s definitely more than just pro players in arenas…

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

The interesting thing some people are reporting is that a full-time win in Hotjoin actually gives more reward track progress than a full-time loss in Unranked. I had thought that it was the same.

It’s possible that the base value for reward track process is the same in both cases (even though they’re not tied to rank points), but with a bonus for winning (Hotjoin) and a penalty for losing (Unranked).