How would you improve sPvP?

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

There are a lot of inexperienced players and lack of coordination on these teams. I’d like to offer a suggestion that has proven to be very effective in other games.

Assign a team leader for each team. That leader can push on-screen messages (i.e. overlay on-screen and not in chat box) to provide direction for the team.

How this works: if you are familiar with ‘raid leaders’ in WoW, it works exactly like that. The lead can use raid warnings to communicate important messages to the team. The lead can also hand over the reigns to someone else.

This can be a very effective method of helping pull together a team as well act as a hands-on teaching tool for new players.

As far as who gets assigned the raid lead: just give it to the player with highest rank. He/she may not be the ‘best’ person to get the lead hat, but odds are that a high ranking person will, at the very least, know when they should hand the lead over to someone else (and know how to).

TLDR:
* copy WoW’s “Raid Leader” and “Raid Warning” mechanics. Assign each team a Raid Leader

in PvP

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

1) Balance/change/cull invulnerability, stability, unfair ranged abilities, passive effects and other salient examples of pvp combat nonsense (too many detailed changes to list here).
2) 1g, 5 t6 crafting material bags (the ones purchased for laurels) and 2 laurels rewarded each time you level up in PvP.
3) Remove Skyhammer and Spiritwatch from solo-queue.
4) Revert Skyhammer changes.
5) Change the greedy matchmaking algorithm that governs the often skewed team-queue match-ups.
6) Revert immobilize stacking change.
7) 2v2 queue death-match; capture points disabled; first team to 30 points wins.
8) Introduce a PvP map builder system that implements all of the mechanics of current maps thus far.

in PvP

Posted by: Jesiah.2457

Jesiah.2457

•Use a similar stat customization system that PvE / WvW offers minus a few items here and there such as food buffs and perhaps keep ascended out of SPvP so that PvE’ers still maintain a feeling of having something special they worked hard for. The difference in stat customization and building “your character” between PvE and SPvP is staggering and really only seems to create an entirely different ‘beast’ (and problems) when it comes to balancing PvE / WvW and then SPvP while also making would be good builds feel bad due to lack of stat allocation capabilities.

•Perhaps introduce a 3v3 and maybe 2v2 “Arena” type game modes as they could be quite fun on a smaller maps, should they ever exist.

•*Rework* under used traits instead of nerfing the well made traits and buffing the underused ones (swiftness on kill? No one uses it, lets double the duration. Oh look, no one uses it still, no matter how much we nerf good traits. <—- Bad).

•Add some additional resources to link PvE progression from SPvP, such as experience gain and small amounts of in game currency / materials of some sort. This is time spent playing the game after all and if one can improve their PvE toon in SPvP and not have it be an entire waste of time for the PvE player then chances of crossovers from both sides increase.

in PvP

Posted by: Kavia.8249

Kavia.8249

1. Build templates

2. Recording function for games – ability to rewatch later as spectator pause/rewind/review builds etc.

3. More stats on match summary screen damage done, condis cleared, healing etc.

4. Improve combat log – include condi damage, filters, color coding

5. Online API to allow for WoW armory type site where you can review other players gear, builds, etc.

6. Ability to mousover players names in the PvP match screen and have it display their name.xxxx so you don’t have to start a report in order to see this info.

7. Normalize character sizes in PvP

Kavia Kael
Champion Illusionist
Stormbluff Isle

in PvP

Posted by: Divinity.8041

Divinity.8041

Make it able to save builds, with armor and sigils and everything, that would be disgustingly awesome

make a colosseum to duel in 1v1 or 2v2

look at conditions

R40 Mesmer
Hypercrushed

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

i want better combat log and MABY at end a full combatlog.txt for better analyze.
A nice inGame analyze would be cool too. Something like a map i can watch per 10 second turn or something and READ what everyone has done. Really cool it would be when this save matches and i can watch my last 10 matches or even more^^

and the combat info on right side from screen at top from minimap where i see which important spell hit enemy/teammate or kill enemy/teammate i wanna see in mid from my screen – top from hp bar

thx^^

(edited by Romek.4201)

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

oh i want a log for my matches too so i can see my last 100 (or more) matches what show me which map, won or lose, and playernames, and ranking i had before this match

can make this in statistics (where can see my matches won/lose and rank ….)

in PvP

Posted by: Abazigal.3679

Abazigal.3679

1- Better rewards, especially concerning tournaments vs hotjoin
2- More achievements
3- No more " bunker " builds. An " only damage " meta would be more fun and much more skill requiring in my opinion.

in PvP

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

- Boost HP
— because berserker in PVP is not really viable unless you are running a one and only popular pvp build
— because with 10k or even 15k HP you get downed by a necro in less than 3 sec
— because you get backstabbed and one heart seeker and you’re down (yes I can dodge HS spam but I only have 2 dodges while thiefs have multiple HS uses)

OR

- tone down DMG a bit
- tone down conditions a bit

Ideas:
- What if conditions could not stack?
- What if burning could stack? => Suddenly maybe a burning condition guardian becomes at least viable?

On the other hand I’m not that annoyed by warrior stuns and stuff. Most of the animations are pretty obvious, ofcourse is up to you which ones will you dodge because they have many. Maybe just remove some stuns from some skills but don’t go too far to make them unviable again.

Just replace dumb traits that noone uses please or at least change them for PvP.

If PvP keeps going in this way (specializing classes for roles like Warriors = good at stun, Thief = good at burst, …) I’m gonna be extremely happy.

Do something about those cheesy build like S/D spam, necro condition and fear spam, …

Make more build viable.

My suggestions might look dumb, but that’s because I’m not pro at PvP I just wrote down my observations as a casual PvP player.

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the thread. It’s pretty exciting to see a lot of the stuff you guys are mentioning are things we’ve already been working on.

Keep posting and I’ll keep reading!

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Put more tools into custom arenas:
Turn nodes on/off
Change point rewards
Change gravity
Add/remove buffs and conditions
Mapvote
Randomize weapons/traits
Change skyhammer damage
Profession limits
Disable/enable weapons/gear
Enable costume brawl
Place in game weapons (e.g. Deathmatch plankfight)

I feel that custom arenas as a way to monetize pvp didn’t work. Aside from the lack of options for customizing arenas, most people don’t want to pay for the ability to design a map when a game like Starcraft provides that for free. GW2 custom arenas should have all of the above but for free. On top of that, to have to pay to keep it active doesn’t make sense.

I’m not interested in the monetary aspect of it. I’m interested in putting some basic tools in gameplay variety into the hands of the gamer.

For example: if I had a custom server with all kinds of knobs specified above, I could create a ‘team deathmatch’ server, where I could turn off capture points. Then I could make some observations and tweak the teamsize to get it right. Then I could enable/disable certain buffs or what-not to balance it out.

Think of it as ‘distributed processing’ for a pvp solution: if you have a few hundred people creating custom servers with differing game modes, you will quickly iterate and separate the viable solutions from the chaff.

Also, you could create fun stuff, like the ‘wooden plank deathmatch’ server. That kind of variety would make the game fun without requiring any long-term maintenance of game modes on ANet’s part.

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Templates
New Maps
Build Diversity.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: Skeub.6740

Skeub.6740

A HUGE BUG on Sky hammer : when the floor is breakable and you’ve got a shadowstep on the other side of the breakable windows you can’t teleport to your point anymore though there is only one little part which is break. It’s details but it’s important

in PvP

Posted by: Bombsaway.7198

Bombsaway.7198

• Integrate sPvP winning with other aspects of the game, particularly WvW
  • Create rewards used in other parts of the game you get for participating in sPvP to bring in a lot more players.
  • Allow people to level characters thru PvP (experience tied to points earned). That way creating an alt would actually be fun.
  • Capture the flag based games vs control point games.
  • Underwater map
  • Ability to save multiple builds
  • REWARDS for your “real” character by engaging in pvp as pvp rewards can’t be anything that would shift the neutrality of play.
  • Ability to vote on which map the hotjoin team plays next (tie goes to default rotation)
  • Keep it casual friendly. For many it is a break from other aspects of game. Leavers and akfers should be dropped not punished.
  • Bigger roaming kill maps (total kills for the win) versus objectives.
  • Open up maps. Many seem small and not good for range.
  • Maps that encourage teamwork more such as huttball or capture the flag.
  • RADICAL IDEA: Allow people to use their actual stats, armor in pvp. I know that goes against the “everyone is equal” mindset, but one of the reasons you see so few pvpers is that there is no reward or progress because “everyone is equal”.
  • Or provide the option of a) current fighting with templates or b) fighting with your actual character, armor, etc.
  • Most importantly INTEGRATE pvp with other aspects of the game. It is a game within a game right now. Let me level in pvp. Let me earn pts that apply to WvW seasons in PvP. Let me earn gear I can use outside of PvP. INTEGRATE it or it goes stale fast.

Hope that helps.

in PvP

Posted by: mire.6954

mire.6954

Please for the love of everything that was Guild Wars 1, stop calling it GvG

in PvP

Posted by: Tracker.6483

Tracker.6483

1. Do not let Solo Queue matches start without a full team on each side. Replace missing person on the roster before game allowed to start.

2. Payload or Double Payload game mode. Works like conquest, but while moving. 3rd point could be in the middle where the payloads pass each other and provide some benefit like faster payload movement.

3. Give us a way to earn the skins from the pve events without doing pve.

4. Spectator mode by person. Would love to watch some games by the top people in Solo Queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Bsgapollo.5364

Bsgapollo.5364

balance.

That’s all I care about, mostly the reason why I go onto different games cause I was tired of playing against try hards.

Level 80 Elementalist, experienced player in pvp, trying out pve for now.

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

Put more tools into custom arenas:
Turn nodes on/off
Change point rewards
Change gravity
Add/remove buffs and conditions
Mapvote
Randomize weapons/traits
Change skyhammer damage
Profession limits
Disable/enable weapons/gear
Enable costume brawl
Place in game weapons (e.g. Deathmatch plankfight)

I feel that custom arenas as a way to monetize pvp didn’t work. Aside from the lack of options for customizing arenas, most people don’t want to pay for the ability to design a map when a game like Starcraft provides that for free. GW2 custom arenas should have all of the above but for free. On top of that, to have to pay to keep it active doesn’t make sense.

I’m not interested in the monetary aspect of it. I’m interested in putting some basic tools in gameplay variety into the hands of the gamer.

For example: if I had a custom server with all kinds of knobs specified above, I could create a ‘team deathmatch’ server, where I could turn off capture points. Then I could make some observations and tweak the teamsize to get it right. Then I could enable/disable certain buffs or what-not to balance it out.

Think of it as ‘distributed processing’ for a pvp solution: if you have a few hundred people creating custom servers with differing game modes, you will quickly iterate and separate the viable solutions from the chaff.

Also, you could create fun stuff, like the ‘wooden plank deathmatch’ server. That kind of variety would make the game fun without requiring any long-term maintenance of game modes on ANet’s part.

I agree that custom servers should allow for a lot more customizing, I’m just concerned that custom servers would be limited to those with gems thus limiting access to players. I just got off track with what you were trying to say.

I’m just not sure if custom arenas is the best long term solution even though new and fun game modes can be created this way. The only success I’ve seen with this type of map architecture is in Dota and Starcraft, but since GW2 is less rts than the two I mentioned, I would think Anet would want to create one specific and consistent game mode for everyone to play.

in PvP

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

Oh yea:

• TEMPLATES

Please! This is a must after so much time and so many requests.

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Edit: As a note, it’s reassuring to see some of the things we’re working on included in the lists.

Aligning development with existing players is of course important, but IMO your main focus should be on making sPVP appealing to non-players, and IMO rewards/handouts and small tweaks aren’t going to cut it, you need to make serious, systemic changes, and Anet’s history on making systemic changes is a long way from great.

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Cultural armor available at earlier ranks. As a sylvari the only appropriate armor for me is my cultural armor, so it bothers me that when I bring my toon in I must use hideous human centric armor that doesn’t fit them.

in PvP

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

I know I’m going to sound like a huge kittening kitten with this post, but think of it as a heroic sacrifice I’m willing to make.
Too many people are wanting rewards and/or leaderboard fixes. And even though this is all good, it won’t change anything.
GW2 simply needs to be less spammy, and you need to revert a lot of the inflation that has been going on.

- There is simply too much endurance regeneration in the game. People dodge constantly. Classes are able to have almost permanent vigor by spending 5 trait points, and add to that the Sigil of Energy. Just remove both from PvP.
- Without an energy system, people will spam unless there is some kind of downside to it, which could for instance be a high cooldown or vulnerability while casting and high-risk for interruption/cast-time. People need to be asking questions like “Do I really want to use this skill now, or save it for a more important fight?”
- Too many skills are instant and without proper telegraphing. Warriors can become immune to conditions for like 8 seconds, and the ability is instant, bad design.
- Too many skills have no risk-factor and are too easy to land. Marks are not difficult to land because they are literally instant if placed on an opponent. Engineer’s grenades either leave a poison field on the ground for 15 seconds or are too spamable, which makes it hard to distinguish the grenades from eachother. Bombs can be placed while running around in a circle on the node, everybody can do that. Skills can’t always be all good, they have to be situational.

There are a lot of other noteworthy points, but I have to keep it short or else people won’t read it. Sad but true.

TLDR; Please stop wishing for rewards and/or leaderboard improvements, it’s not going to change anything. Hopefully I won’t be the one to say “I told you so”, but I’m starting to look forward to that day, with the majority of people wishing for irrelevant stuff.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

in PvP

Posted by: inori.7815

inori.7815

new game mode
skin,level
balance

in PvP

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

Balancing Suggestions

• Increase the stats we get of amulets (with ascended gear the gap between WvW and PvP will be greater, which makes balancing impossible)
  • include Food in PvP (same food u get in PvE, but permanent…. again balancing reason)
  • Split amulets in 5-6 Armor pieces, this will allow more hybrid builds and increade build diversity.
  • Rework condition imunity traits, to only lower the condition duration but not make them completely immune to one source of damage
    If this is done, rebalance the classes in every gamemode and stop splitting skill/traits in PvP/WvW (only if it is really needed)

rewards

• unique Skins you get in tournaments, that can be used in PvE aswell (fill sPvP)
  • Get gold out of tournaments (with entrancefee of 5s per player, so it cant be abused)

gamemodes

• “steal” some gamemodes of TF2, they are really funny and can fit in GW2 aswell

in PvP

Posted by: Skeub.6740

Skeub.6740

Need to be improve in both WvW & sPvP for elementalist not being able to mist though the doors to get in their castle, tower etc… (it work also in Legacy on Foefire)

in PvP

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

• Add a rank requirement before new players can join tournaments, or add tournament matches that are for 1-20.
  • Add new (and many more) achievements for pvp.
  • Add templates.
  • Let us wear pvp skins anywhere.
  • Add more pvp specific rewards that can be shown off in pve as well.
  • Add rewards that can be purchased for glory.
  • Add gold rewards. Some of us play pve and pvp. Problem is, if you choose pvp, you also choose to have no income.
  • Let us report afk people.
  • Do not start a match unless it is 5 vs 5.
  • Add a way to sign up for solo q with a friend.
  • Restrict how many of the same profession can be on the same team.
  • it would be nice if there was a check on the class distribution. As an example, it is annoying to face a team with 3 guardians and no thief, where your own team has 2 thieves but no guardian.
  • Lower the overall damage output so the fights actually become interesting, and so new players have a chance to learn while fighting.
  • Ow and this again: Remove Skyhammer from solo q tournament rotation. Some classes have an advantage on this map. Since we have no influence on who we are teamed up with, we might end up with a huge advantage or disadvantage. That is not fair play and should therefore not be a part of anything that is supposed to be competitive.
  • Address obvious balance issues faster. Yes, it happened once upon a blue moon that someone found a super strong spec that no one knew about. It is the exception though. Most of the time we just end up being face rolled or being the class face rolling for months. Which is extremely frustrating.

(edited by Reesha.7901)

in PvP

Posted by: Katran.9186

Katran.9186

1. Copy every game mode from GW1 and Unreal Tournament.
2. Add mode which is similar to MOBA games.
3. Make warriors into ranger pets.
4. ???
5. Ten out of ten, game of the year, pvp of the century.

in PvP

Posted by: Mikey.8129

Mikey.8129

The single most important thing that needs to be done is to bring in GvG. That is what Guild Wars is all about and the reason why GW1 pvp was unparalled (that plus HA, RA and TA).

The format of the GvG should revolve around a guild lord in each base – (I read earlier an idea that guilds can be given a small degree of choice to customise their base defences – i think this is a great idea and adds another layer of strategy to GvG’s) with teams of possibly 8 v 8 or 10 v 10 fighting to defeat the enemy guild lord.

The maps can have additional strategic elements to them that would offer advantages in the fight such as capturing an outpost of some kind to give a damage or health bonus etc. The Guild Lord should be very difficult to kill, with NPC’s surrounding it and possibly bodyguards who heal the lord also – Games should last a maximum of say 24 minutes with the tiebreaker of who does the most damage to the enemy lord being used (just like GW1)

Also, you need monthly tournaments just like GW1. This creates excitement as every month guilds practice up to the tournament and given that it is only once a month, there is a real sense of satisfaction if your guild does well. Just like GW1 I would suggest daily tournaments to get Qualifier Points to qualify for the monthly tournament.

The rewards for performing well in these monthly tournaments should also be tangible and players should be able to “show off” that their guild won the monthly tournament. Possibly some kind of aura around players who placed in the top 16 of the tournament, the winners being gold, top 8 being silver etc…

I believe this kind of game modes and tournaments will bring the longevity currently lacking from capture point play, and as a result bring many pvp players back to the game.

in PvP

Posted by: Smiley.5376

Smiley.5376

New reward system is going to be announced soon so that’s not really worth mentioning anymore. (+feedback ?)

MM is hopefully getting fixed in 2 days(reset on 26th)

We already had a nice preview on game modes and hopefully will get briefed with it before it goes live (+feedback ?)

Many people have already mentioned a lot of small things that can be implemented like report function, HotJoin changes, ingame MMR, merging the mists, tutorials, achievments, custom arena changes, cross-pve rewards,…

Now the biggest issue of all: Balance.

We NEED a CDI about balance… It needs to be adressed BEFORE new game modes are implemented ! There are so many aspects about balance and even though i appreciate the preview we had on the 10th december patch, i don’t think we will get far if balance issues keep getting adressed like that. (thinking and trying on your side + asking us feedback VS brainstorm together + feedback)

What should be happening is a CDI on balance where we(Anet+players) decide on a couple of focussed topics like the following:

-Fix OP builds => 1 thread where ppl can make suggestions to fix the various OP builds
-Fix broken weaponsets => 1 thread in each profession forum
-Fix condi/spam/immob meta => 1 thread
-Fix useless/bad designed traits => 1 thread in each profession forum

To make things easier, PvP and PvE/WvW balance should be separated or at least make some changes not be implemented in PvE/WvW. For example, it is incredibly hard to fix the condi/spam meta in PvP while not kittening up PvE/WvW but fixing broken weaponsets could actually also benefit PvE/WvW.

Working this way will speed up the process of balance tremendously and mainwhile you will not have to handle a huge ammount of QQ because some ideas you suggested are just /meh.

I’m not being rude but just stating things how they are. Like someone said earlier: 100.000 players have more thinking capacity than the balance team. And balance is a big issue.

in PvP

Posted by: Fella Feller.4936

Fella Feller.4936

• Conditions – more importance of individual conditions, more importance of de-buffs, less spam, condition management (covering from cleanse ect) more important, less full condi clear, no/much less rng application and removal.
    Condi builds should have high up time on probably just 1 damaging condition and 1 de-buff, with potential to build for ‘spikes’ of 1-2 more. De-buffs should be as much a reason to run a condi comp as damage, fitting better the ‘pressure’ role they seem to make most scene in.
    More team play required to achieve ‘burst’ condi damage seen currently (power too for that matter), so a ‘burn comp’ might involve and ele and engi both stacking long duration burns (one would not be enough for a fast kill) on a target, before they and team mates apply any non burn conditions they have available repeatedly in order to try and insure the burn is not removed (and no one apples burn again unless it gets cleared somehow, it’s last on 1st off right?).
    Chill or weakness builds should be scary things, and something your team has to stratagize to deal with. The order you and you team apply conditions should matter due to covering important ones from cleanses, and no one should have it all (or even half of it).
  • Time To Kill – should be less variable between different match ups, maybe 30-90 seconds for a close fight 1v1, not 1-300+
  • Skins – bombarded with way to many too similar, most not all that interesting. A better system could help with funding further development a lot.
  • Animation clarity and length – more of it
  • Ability, dodge and field spam, instant cast offence, un-interruptible/irremovable sustain, pet spam, RNG procs – less of this sort of thing
  • Kittening Asura – they can hide all but their feet in a healing turret and are smaller than the Mr Sparkles MINI. Madness! Characters sizes need to be much less variable.
  • Team Play! – combos should matter more, and be more impact full, there should be perhaps less field and finisher spam, and them be stronger (also see below). Projectiles especially feel pretty week, and the RNG finishers ones are horrid. They should be too important and require too much precision for RNG finishers to be anything but a joke anyway. Whirls are also mostly poor.
    Correct multi class combo play should be the sort of thing players casters and viewers would focus on, and sometimes dictate the outcome of games. Burst and/or CC spikes should be also require strong team play to achieve, and the rewards make attempting it potentially a worth while strategy. Also, see conditions above.
  • Rallying – mass rally events are stupid. Making 1 kill 1 rally would make sense, but it’s hard to see how it would work. Just get rid of it altogether (at least in spvp/wvw)
  • Mists Merge / redesign
  • Build templates
  • Replace hot join with unranked que – as default game type like mobas, perhaps leave a few Anet ‘custom servers’ along with purchasable ones, or perhaps not.
  • Duelling!
  • Better tutorials, hell even a ‘manual’ – it’s pretty bad that people I meet who have been playing spvp for ages have little or no clue about things like combo fields and condition cover, though the latter is rarely worth the effort with the amount you can spam.
  • More game modes – 2v2 seems to have potential, maybe 3v3 too is spam goes down and TTK up
    Cap the flag?
    A 5v5-8v8 MOBA/WvW/PvP version of a ‘competitive race to the Temple of Melanoma event’? Kinda like a cross between a WvW map, a moba map and a smaller straights of devastation mirrored across the temple where you push forward to the centre for a final clash rather than from the centre to your opponent start? Should result in potentially 2 initial lines of conflict, as you push your own chains forward whilst sending attackers to slow your enemies events.
  • X-pack – seems few other hope to bring in large numbers of players. Perhaps full standalone, or full but integrated, or 2 version, one a ‘mists’ one that is easier/free? entry. Also make other changes easier to swallow for existing players such as gear system redesign and better monetization/shop (need if reduced price pvp only version is to succeed I would assume) May also allow some Out There Stuff (see below) to make it in. and engi hammers, mesmer fans and ranger staff

Out There stuff

• Make buffs/de-buffs WYSIWYG as originally intended, though means bye bye malice so quite a task.
  • Make maps capture zones not points (25-30% of map for each of 3, little no man’s land) and have them tend to neutral when contested over time based on ration of players from each team in zone. Choke point and terrain play more important, aoe spam less so.
  • Make aoe friendly fire, traits/skills to allow entry to fields without ill effect.

Edit – Force on melee assist – ‘the beast with 2 backs’ circle fighting style is less prevelent here than a lot of games, but solid characters would be great.

& for typos

The Tally family of Desolation-
Victor(Ranger), Astral(Ele), Martial(Warrior), Erroneous(Mes), Ticker(Engi), Ravin(Thief)
with special guests Hematophagia(Necro) and Grace Burns(Guardian)

(edited by Fella Feller.4936)

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

Something large has to happen for how people look at this game to change.
New MMOs are right around the corner and GW2 PvP has lost all competitive fans and has a small casual playerbase, it’s not fallowing the ‘Leauge of Legends we will get there eventually’ model… LoL was constantly improving, in most people’s eyes GW2 has only gotten worse.

I get it, you guys want to be careful about balance…
So be careful about balance but creative about improving gameplay…

Focus on redoing frustrating abilities to be more fun, taking annoying concepts (offpoint-holding, condis, exc.) and reworking them to be more entertaining to play with/against…

Like the map debacle.
You guys seem to like people to spread out (and it’s a good concept)
Instead forcing afk’ing with bunkers at offpoints, those players can be fighting creeps that spawn on the point, the more killed the more points earned for your team.

That makes…
-straight up speccing bunker has pro’s and cons, less creap killing (so points for team) but more hold on the BO.
-enemies have to be careful about blindly aoe’ing the point since any creep kills go to the person who has it capped.
-it gives offpoint players something to do!!!

Another issue, spec-to-avoidable high dmg.
For example, backstab…
Backstab creates advantage right now.
Backstab requires something like a guardian to ever have a chance of mitigating the dmg.

High nigh unavoidable dmg is obviously not a great mechanic, so instead the advantage can be through something like 20~ vulnerability stacks for a few seconds, maybe aoe might or an aoe short imob or weakness so stealth has some cool group utility (social games are fun games, issues come up when one class in and of itself is super OP, when group combos are OP its just called teamwork…).

Micromanaging.
You guys seem to want to avoid too much of it (which is fine).
But pets, to have specs focused on pets, they requires micromanagement or it’s dull as kitten to play.

That leaves AIs in a debacle, one where it seems best to just scrap them for the most part.
You can seemingly get away, just barely, with the ranger pet and the occasional elite one. But any more leads to nothing but clutter… not even entertainment in any way… the idea of ‘swarm my minions!!’ is cool, but in GW2 it has so many downsides (near complete lack of control) that it just doesn’t help.

There isn’t much room for the game to fall further (no offense) and there are new MMOs right around the corner that are going to sweep up the rest of the PvP population if nothing large happens…

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who has contributed to the thread. It’s pretty exciting to see a lot of the stuff you guys are mentioning are things we’ve already been working on.

Keep posting and I’ll keep reading!

‘on your list of things to do’…
uhm…. you guys have had many genuinely great concepts put on your list of things to do… but somehow when they came into the game, they didn’t help it at all…

People wanted a place to customize matches.
Custom arenas didn’t help.
—-People wanted more dynamic/engaging gameplay.
Balance-focused patches have only made that worse.
—-People wanted something meaningful to strive for in PvP.
Leaderboards…
You guys know all about those…
—-People wanted workable matchmaking.
This has the worst match setup I’ve seen (kittening terrible elo hell, and many 4v5s)

Those things, they came and went, they were on your list of things to do months and months ago… yet the game isn’t any better.

If you seriously want this ‘on the horizon’ to mean anything you might have to change a bit more than comping your ideas to the forums on occasion.

If people can keep this constructive, I’d be really interested in what you guys come up with.

Bullet points preferred!

Edit: As a note, it’s reassuring to see some of the things we’re working on included in the lists.

There have been a million threads about this since launch, if you guys haven’t gotten an idea of it yet… next to every PvP’er left and you have only shown a lil more PR before what have only been bad patches… one more thread can’t help you guys.

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Noc.2459

Noc.2459

What about deleting Skyhammer from Soloqueue?

Would be a vast improvement…

Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc Noc

in PvP

Posted by: DaveJay.4871

DaveJay.4871

Hey,

As someone who’s been playing the guild wars franchise for 9 years now, I can honestly say the the PvP content, in comparison to the GW1 pvp content, is strongly lacking.

As I know this is probably self-explanatory, I can however make some suggestive comments on the future of sPvP on GW2.

First of all, observe functions. One of the most exciting parts – in my own opinion – of the GW1 HoH, GvG, and ranked HA matches, was being able to spectate them from anywhere that you wanted; and being able to select them from a long list. This let people familiarize themselves with tactics, builds, and experiences they themselves may not have gotten to or understand as of yet. (Especially Monthy tournaments, so much fun to watch).

With those comments, I’d also like to suggest (AND STRONGLY ENCOURAGE), the addition of monthy tournament predictions (Assuming we eventually get monthly tournament leagues based on a QP kind of system that GW1 used – at the sametime realizing it probably needs retweeking from the original gw2 system that flopped already), but having automated tournaments every month that everyone can make predictions on winners for, and therefore win free gems, would make the PVE and WvW players much more in-tune with what’s going on in the sPvP world, and also encourage people to take part more fervently. (Winning zaishen points in GW1 and spending them for oddles of z-keys was the best feeling ever, and you barely had to do anything but just participate )

My final suggestion is about the match-making. Why isn’t match making based on tiers instead of ranks? Base the match making on the percentages and leaderboard ranks of players instead of entirely on ranks – which at this point mean diddley. That way, when you match make in an unranked match or a ranked match, you get to be put into your appropriate tier based on an accurate sense of players skill levels that the leaderboards give, as opposed to a broken rank system that’s been farming to worthlessness.

Thanks!

in PvP

Posted by: Taym.8326

Taym.8326

Khylo:
Traps/Nades: Cannot be used on the roof of clock tower
Traps: Cannot be thrown from the clocktower point to the rafters

in PvP

Posted by: Ezrael.6859

Ezrael.6859

GW2 has become a game dominated by conditions and condition management.

Either offensively by spamming the target with as many as possible while building up damage over time and staying away from your target with various control conditions.

Or defensively by attempting to micro manage your condition removal to remove the key conditions amongst the several that are always on you during a fight.

Most professions and builds are spamming conditions currently, and it’s not fun.
Playing against conditions you spend most of your time looking down at your condition bar rather than watching your target which is not fun at all. Trying to play a melee build that needs to maintain positioning, make sure your key skills land and micro-manage the conditions affecting you.

~~~
I’d half the amount of conditions in the game and drastically reduce the access all professions have to conditions across multiple skills.

Conditions would become key skills with long cooldowns that have a larger impact.

Condition removal would then also become much rarer, it would need to be used at a key moment to negate the powerful condition affecting you, it would also be on a long cooldown.

Poison – reduced healing (counters bunker and high healing builds)
Burning – the damage condition (pure damage)
Immobilize – to root a target in place – prevents dodging and evade skills (setup skill)
Chilled – slows movement speed and skill recharges by 66% (counters mobility)
Confusion – damage when using skills (counters skill spamming, especially auto-attack)
Blind – next attack misses (counters key burst damage skills)

Would be the remaining conditions.

Fear would become a CC effect like knockdown, knockback and no longer a condition, it would simply be managed through stun-break / stability. It would inflict no damage.

Conditions would no longer be maintained permanently, they would provide immediate consequences for the target.

Poison reduces healing and deals some damage, used to help pressure a healing target / push past a bunker’s healing.

Burning would be pure damage, it would always be 5s or less in duration, it would now stack for the condition weapons. So it would be treated like a high damage skill for a power build. Like 5k burning over 5s on a 30s cooldown.

Immobilize would no longer stack in duration, it would be a maximum of 3s but it would stop any evade skill being used while under it’s effects.

Chilled would be limited to 5s max but stays as a tool against mobility and skill spammers.

Confusion would become 5s max but deal 1000 damage per attack. Becoming a good counter against a skill spammer.

Blind stays as it is.

AoE condi’s would have much longer cooldowns and clear animations when being cast. No more 0 travel time unblockable Necro Staff marks.

Pure condi builds would no longer be viable for damage.
A condi focused build would now become a control support build.

Damage specs would now have to build for condition damage, power and condition duration for top damage ~ 3 stats like Power builds. With more pure damage coming from auto-attack and other skills.
Mists Amulets balanced to reflect this.

No more condi’s on proc traits, runes or sigils.
Only weapon swap sigils like Doom and Hydromancy remain. Geomancy changed to 1s immobilize.

All passive condition removal skills and traits gone. Condi immunity gone.

Remove Initiative from Thief, give the weapon skills cooldowns instead.

(edited by Ezrael.6859)

in PvP

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

@Ezrael

Thank you. Finally a player who has his priorities straight. Rewards, maps or gamemodes won’t help this game at all, but apparently, people don’t get this. Kudos sir, good post. Let’s hope Anet listens.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

Let’s hope Anet listens.

ahh… young naiveté

in PvP

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Let’s hope Anet listens.

ahh… young naiveté

One can hope. That’s all I got left.

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in PvP

Posted by: Orlangur.4593

Orlangur.4593

I’d hope for some better incentive to play sPvP. For the most part now it is only matter of fun since I don’t really care for gear skins and rank progression.

- Make the rank visible (instead of lvl in Heart of the mists).
- Allow for some dueling action.
- Give us some PvE related awards so people not interested in PvP could try it as well (it could work well in reverse too).
- Some new maps and game modes.
- Proper guild PvP integration (Guild Wars without guild wars in it is kinda silly) .
- Daily, Weekly paid tournaments with observer modes and global winner(s) announcement.

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

This is to improve the MMR match making.

• If you have 2 top stats (top kill, top captures, top orb carry for example) in a match that your team lose, you don’t lose MMR for that match.
  • If you have none top stats in a match, and your score is less than 35 in a match that your team lose, you lose more MMR.
Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

How about actually doing something about the reported AFKler / flamers / people who insult other during playing SoloQ? As long as I see a specific, 100 times reported person (without saying any name, I think everybody knows who I’m talking about, yesterday there was again a screen with him flaming in this forum), is still playing, everything you are saying about it are just empty words.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: Fella Feller.4936

Fella Feller.4936

I’d really like to see the default key bindings to something more sensible and make mouse look on by default, or at least make it a pre-set option, ‘pvp bindings’ or something. Holding down right mouse 90% of the time isn’t exactly ideal for a controll method, or very healthy! Nor is encouraging new players to get used to having ability’s in places that are very impractical for pvp game play if you hope them to be able to transition relatively seamlessly from pve to pvp game modes.

For some inspiration on this I really recommend playing a bit of the recent FTP MMORPG cash cow based on a elderly and very popular P&P RPG. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t play it for long, it’s got a lot wrong with it and I’m certainly not taking this much effort to try and provide feedback on their forums. It does however do some things very well that could be worth thinking about. Not least of which is a sensible set of key bindings and mouse steer on by default, along with very ‘solid’ feeling combat with little ‘spam’ and clear animations, though it’s perhaps a little bit on the ‘slow’ side (along with many other issues not worth going into here).

The Tally family of Desolation-
Victor(Ranger), Astral(Ele), Martial(Warrior), Erroneous(Mes), Ticker(Engi), Ravin(Thief)
with special guests Hematophagia(Necro) and Grace Burns(Guardian)

in PvP

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

General game:
- Matches should not start until all teams have all players ready. Start timer when match is about to start if not all players join disband queue and let people join another team again.
- GvG and other game modes from GW1 to GW2. They were just that good. Surely new mechanics have to be added and taken in consideration, like lack of trinity so maybe just killing lord doesn’t win you a game and jumping and siege engines and stuff.

Balance:
- Balance between builds and classes. There should not be specific builds which are so clearly better than others.
- Nerf passive bunkers
- Nerf NPC spam / improve targeting
- Balance runes and sigils.
- Balance CC chaining and counter measures. Too many CC/instagib combos which are somewhat easy to execute too.
- Remove hidden invulnerable stomping like mistform/plague etc and replace them with actual skills/traits.

Rewards:
- When you receive some item skin first time just unlock it into I AM A GOLD SPAMMER. PLEASE REPORT ME BY PRESSING THE REPORT FLAG ICON IN THE BOTTOM RIGHT OF THIS POST!. Allow withdrawing these skins from bank and apply them to PvE skin. Make it cost a little glory and maybe some arcane dust whatever.
- Possibility to get ascended/legendary item token which you can use at vendor to get items for PvE. You spend hours playing PvP it doesn’t need so much rewards than PvE dungeons etc. but it surely would be nice to get something for your time occassionally. Some people like me totally dislike doing fractals and do pvp instead for example.
- Bring back automated tournaments with gem rewards. Just do not give rewards for very low ranked matches to prevent farming and stuff. And with better matchmaking.
- If you feel that glory farming was so excessive so it cannot be used as rewards make new currency whatever. Or just simply give some Silver/gold for winning (ranked) matches A little higher reward for higher ranked match.
- Random dungeon tokens/fractal relics from reward chests? Allow buying dungeon tokens etc with glory?

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in PvP

Posted by: jalmari.3906

jalmari.3906

I am so not gold spammer

Apparently you cannot say put it into your bank slot or something..

Guardian 80 Necromancer 80 Ranger 80 Mesmer 80 Elementalist 80 Warrior 80

in PvP

Posted by: SeasonedBro.3849

SeasonedBro.3849

All of the above is great and should be worked on. However, here are some NEWish ideas to promote activity in the mists, which can only help pvp.

Please consider some minor but worthwhile low hanging fruit: implementing a black lion trading post, bank, guild bank. Makes the mists more friendly to pve and wvw players.

Maybe put designated areas for costume brawl or mini games to promote players wanting to dailies and achievements. Also, nice past time while people wait.

p.s. Please allow all transformation tonics/items/choir bell in the mists. Would really like to use the green potion to make my Hulk character better. TY

“Ur all trash!” the spvp player said,
as angry nerd tears rolled down his fat young cheeks.

in PvP

Posted by: Bohab.7825

Bohab.7825

-Rank by character not account

If I farmed 56 ranks of glory using an Engi 100% of the time then it’s silly I get credit for being a “rank 56” guard even if I never played one before.

Tavanyl

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

-Rank by character not account

If I farmed 56 ranks of glory using an Engi 100% of the time then it’s silly I get credit for being a “rank 56” guard if I never played one before.

Rank != Skill and everyone knows this, stupid change as the only thing that rank is, is cosmetic gear, this has been suggested by wvwvwers over and over again but they have no idea what they’re talking about.

If you had to get rank 56 more then once you would shoot yourself in the head I guarantee it.

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

in PvP

Posted by: geekanerd.4123

geekanerd.4123

Improve sPvP? Well, I’m just going to reiterate the two things that have already been mentioned but I feel are the most important at this juncture:

A. Nobody in tQue or sQue below a certain level. Some have suggested 20. I’d be willing to say that somewhere between 10-15 most people have a general grasp of how the sPvP is played. Or do a baby tournament mode for people between levels 1-10. But I’m pretty tired of some level 1 to 5 coming into the solo que and kitten ing an otherwise good team. And, no, I’m not down on beginners. We all have to start somewhere. But right into the fire where it can kitten up other people’s experience isn’t the place.

B. 4v5. Games should never, ever start until everybody clicks the ready button. Period. End of story. If one person doesn’t click it by the time the timer counts down, they are booted and somebody else has to be queued in. I realize this doesn’t solve for people who drop mid-match or afkers, but it would be a kitten good start.

[DIE] – FA
“Is it uplevel ranger season yet?”

in PvP

Posted by: Krakah.3582

Krakah.3582

1) Match start balance. Never should matches start uneven.
2) For matches to far gone for various reasons, please bring back the team /surrender.
3) Quick and dirty copy GW1 HoH format + maps. It had a nice ladder system with multiple game modes.
4) Build template system from GW1
5) Not so quick and dirty. Viable build diversity is in deep need of attention. This is more of a please add more people to the PvP dev team request. GW1 I had over 300 builds in my GW1 template directory. GW2 unfortunately has barely 3-4 competitive builds per class.

-KNT- BG

(edited by Krakah.3582)

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

-XP/Gold/Karma/Material gains from sPvP
-Build templates
-More build variety
-More weapon/utility skills to help with ^
-More game types
-More map sizes (like, all the way up to 20v20)

Nalhadia – Kaineng