I dislike the Custom Arenas business model

in PvP

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

it’s called paid advertising. Your guild name or your name will be posted on global server’s list, making you visible among all players.

paid advertising would be putting up blank sheets of paper on buildings and guilds paying money to have their name there.
This is making you rent basic features in PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

it’s called paid advertising. Your guild name or your name will be posted on global server’s list, making you visible among all players.

paid advertising would be putting up blank sheets of paper on buildings and guilds paying money to have their name there.
This is making you rent basic features in PvP.

you rent a custom arena and post your name or your guild name as the name of the arena. and as long as you feeding your arena with tokens, your guild name or name stays on global list.

Same concept basically.

in PvP

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

garbage and useless feature. you make a name for urself by owning…end of story, also no1 will care about who makes a room. also if they would add enough to the equation in spvp leaderboards then people would care about that too, but everything arenanet is doing for GW2 is bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Dorrin.9784

Dorrin.9784

Everyone complaining about paying for custom arenas, has forgotten you do not pay a monthly fee to play this MMO. Secondly the addition of the custom arenas does not affect sPVP or tPVP, as you can still play on non-custom arenas just as before. Lastly if you would like ANET to continue to provide other types of additional free in game content, things like this support it. That is all.

in PvP

Posted by: Super Riceman.8702

Super Riceman.8702

Everyone complaining about paying for custom arenas, has forgotten you do not pay a monthly fee to play this MMO. Secondly the addition of the custom arenas does not affect sPVP or tPVP, as you can still play on non-custom arenas just as before. Lastly if you would like ANET to continue to provide other types of additional free in game content, things like this support it. That is all.

I think that the removal of a sub fee is a great thing but that does not absolve them of all wrong-doings. If ANET executed a hostile takeover of the United States and killed a lot of people you can’t just excuse that by saying “Oh but they don’t charge me subscription/”
Yes its good that there is no sub fee but that doesn’t change the fact that they are charging for a basic feature that is available for free in other games, especially when there is no way to sustain an arena through in-game methods (not gems). and I will support the game when it is good enough for me to support, not when it charges me to be good enough.

There is only one god and its name is nerf. There is only one thing we say to nerf, not today

in PvP

Posted by: yski.7642

yski.7642

I don’t see the problem.

They have to make money somehow, and IMO this is one of the better ways of doing so. They are great when organizing player made tournaments, but other than that they aren’t really needed. On top of that they don’t really cost that much to begin with, so when compared to everything else they’ve put in the gem store I have no complaints.

Learn the ways of the mighty Deathleaf: http://www.youtube.com/user/YskiTheBanshee

in PvP

Posted by: Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

Angry Flying Squirrel.3041

We don’t pay a monthly fee for the game because the game is not worth a monthly fee.

Setnnex-Necro

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

I see no problem on this. Anet is a BUSINESS company, not a CHARITY company. We already play the game for FREE already. But they need MONEY for more DEVELOPMENT. And when more DEVELOPMENTS, means we are HAPPY. You do have the OPTIONS whether to rent it or not. So if you don’t want to RENT it, it is FINE too… Why QQ?

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

u see no problem becasue u dont care about the situation. idc wat the excuse is and no1 who is bothered by the lack of respect cares about any excuse. you dont charge your OWN players/customers for a simple and common feature given for free in F2P games and P2P games, especially wen its the ONLY content they have added for spvp….ever.

in PvP

Posted by: Silferas.3841

Silferas.3841

@Adry: and how do you expect Anet to cover their expenses from development of the features they release, as well as any future development? SPvP community already spends almost nothing on the gem store compared to wvw and pve players and if we are ever to see proper development there needs to be money in it for anet. Yet still, you are complaining about kittening $4 a month for a feature that is not even essential for playing pvp. If you played WoW for comparison, you would have already paid $135 since release of GW2. How much of that sum have you already spent in the gem store? Judging by your whining, not a single cent. Nobody likes to pay for stuff, but whining about few dollars a month for a feature you don’t even kittening need is an overkill, even after anet has stated that there will later be ways of getting the feature in-game as a reward for some activity (so basically for free), you still whine and whine and whine. If you really can’t afford those kittening $4 then go and farm pve and buy it for gold to gems option, another free way of getting stuff that you normally have to pay for, in other games. Yet people still find fault even in that. Not only do you have a method of getting all paid stuff anet has to offer through in-game gold, anet has made an investment towards minor part of the community that already provides no revenue, but you still feel compelled to criticize it.

[Path] of the Immortals – a guild for veterans – Join us
[S]illy [L]ittle [U]gly [T]rolls – our little dungeon forum community
“My mind has left, my body follows”

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Let’s all take a moment and think of all the games that can be played online. Then think of how many games have a monthly fee and how many don’t.
Conclusion: p2p = scam, paid Custom Arena = scam

/threadwin

in PvP

Posted by: Vuh.1328

Vuh.1328

u see no problem becasue u dont care about the situation. idc wat the excuse is and no1 who is bothered by the lack of respect cares about any excuse. you dont charge your OWN players/customers for a simple and common feature given for free in F2P games and P2P games, especially wen its the ONLY content they have added for spvp….ever.

I’d agree with you if the Custom areans were actully just temporary rooms.. But remember they function more like dedicated servers of other games AND those are not free either.
AFAIK LoL/DOTA2 don’t have permanent rooms for everyone, they are free but temporary, SC2 i’m unsure off and most shooters don’t have permanent rooms/servers free either unless you can host a server on your own computer.

Take your time to learn proper keybinding, it’s worth the struggle

in PvP

Posted by: Stealth.9324

Stealth.9324

Let’s all take a moment and think of all the games that can be played online. Then think of how many games have a monthly fee and how many don’t.
Conclusion: p2p = scam, paid Custom Arena = scam

/threadwin

Let’s take a moment and think of all the games that can be played online as GUILD WARS 2. Let’s think about how many game are there ARE NOT required you to GRIND for PvP. Let’s think about how many game are there are ACTUALLY put all PvPer in their EQUAL FOOTING. Let’s think about how many game are there have a DECENT PvP aspect of the game.. Then we can talk more….

Conclusion: While Gw2 is not the best PvP game out there but certainly not the Worst. They are Free to Play and unless u expect nothing new from Anet, then they need expense to cover their business as well as to pay for their employee. THEY NEED A LIFE TOO. And they beauty of GW2 is you can LEAVE WHENEVER you want.

Kaane Moka – Champion Magus. Loola Illuma – Champion Genius.
Proud player of : team [uA] – team [TGI]. Australia base, now recruiting.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

It’s fine if its a secondary sort of matchmaking, dedicated to gimmick servers and scrimmaging.

I can’t see any reason anyone would be kitten over that.

in PvP

Posted by: Deathless.8175

Deathless.8175

This is the same silly commotion that started in beta with the gem store. Personally I don’t see this becoming an issue at all. It’s not like everyone MUST buy their own custom arena, it’s more of a luxury. There will be plenty of open servers available for people to share. Also, you don’t have to pay a dime as long as you have gold in game that you can convert to gems. People will forget all about this within a month.

in PvP

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Vote with your wallet.

Back in the old days; developers released dedicated server code and opened thier game to the community for modding. Communities created games that were better and more fun than the developers themselves could do. This is how e-sports was born.
Games were designed by developers, modded by gamers for gamers.

These days game companies are owned by shareholders and shareholders only care about one thing; money.

in PvP

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

These days game companies are owned by shareholders and shareholders only care about one thing; money.

It’s tragic… games have been getting worse and worse in general lately…
It just leads to endless frustration, especially when new players jump in and say “whats so bad???”, when its not even half as well made as a game that came out a decade ago…

Anyways, it’s an upside down world…

(edited by garethh.3518)

in PvP

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

It’s tragic… games have been just getting worse and worse in general lately… so new players jump in and say whats so bad, when its not even half as well made as a game that came out a decade ago…
It’s an upside down world…

They’ve been getting worse because games aren’t made by gamers anymore.

in PvP

Posted by: Juan Ignacio.8903

Juan Ignacio.8903

Lets imagine that when are u playing sc/sc2/dota2/lol/d1/d2/d3/or any other game that is not an fps really u had to pay a small amount of money or grind mobs, lets do that.

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Hey all,

Due to the inflammatory tone that this thread has turned into, it will be closed. Please keep in mind that if you want to discuss issues on our forums, you have to do it in a constructive way. Thank you for your understanding!