I'm back!

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

As for skyhammer in solo arena, we’re kicking around some ideas (definitely not ignoring you guys, just fyi). As of right now, we have no plans to remove it. We’re not quite convinced yet that the majority of our pvp population want it gone, so we’re trying to get metrics on that before we make any changes.

You guys really are out of touch with the community, sad.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Obsidia.5127

Obsidia.5127

The majority do not care if Skyhammer stays or not but I don’t think many people actually really want it to stay meaning it should probably be removed.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: aussieheals.6843

aussieheals.6843

Hey all,

In case you haven’t seen some of the posts I’ve already made, I’m back! I’ll be covering PvP/WvW/Balance teams for community coordination.

That’s pretty much the short version. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here!

- Allie

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

IGN: Aussie Archer

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Neuromancer.1653

Neuromancer.1653

Welcome back Allie, did you do anything fun on your “break”?

Nitromethané

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Narcarsis.5739

Narcarsis.5739

Promote Grouch.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

As for skyhammer in solo arena, we’re kicking around some ideas (definitely not ignoring you guys, just fyi). As of right now, we have no plans to remove it. We’re not quite convinced yet that the majority of our pvp population want it gone, so we’re trying to get metrics on that before we make any changes.

First, appreciate the direct response on the issue after all this time.

But the answer itself is puzzling. The feedback on this map is overwhelmingly negative both here and in-game. Nobody wants it removed altogether, just taken out of the solo queue rotation. What exactly would it take to convince you that the majority wants that change made?

Honestly, it sounds like you guys are just kicking the can down the road because you don’t want to make a change.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

You guys really are out of touch with the community, sad.

no one wants it gone for good, just remove it from soloQ

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

We have proven without a doubt that a majority, a large majority even, of tournament players hate Skyhammer.

Can you provide the evidences ?
Seriously I do not feel Skyhammer is fair/balanced and do not like it for spvp. I would be pleased to have it removed but how on earth can you argue you have proven something ?
50 infinite threads on guys crying on a forum is not an evidence that large majority hate the map.
Maybe you have real figures…if yes where do you get them from ?

(edited by Kicast.1459)

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

we’re trying to get metrics on that before we make any changes.

You know what, ill help you out on this one.

What i can do is play a couple of 100 soloq games coming week and screenshot every single matchup. I can ask the players on those screenshots what they think about the map and if they think it should be out of the rotation.

I can make a nice spreadsheet for you so can see the results with your own eyes. I will start this research coming monday.

Maybe you have real figures…if yes where do you get them from ?

That strawpoll with like 400 votes is allready quite reliable if you compare it to the active pvp community. But as i stated before in this post i will investigate it further.

(edited by Locuz.2651)

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Hey all,

In case you haven’t seen some of the posts I’ve already made, I’m back! I’ll be covering PvP/WvW/Balance teams for community coordination.

That’s pretty much the short version. If you have any questions, feel free to post them here!

- Allie

Dear Allie,
Welcome back.
Now that you in charge of PvP/WvW/Balance teams, can you briefly give your view on current balance situation:
- what is ok
- what needs to be adjusted
for both wvw and pvp ?

Sometimes we feel lost with the changes you (Anet) provide.
Better visibility on your (Anet) understanding of the game would be helpfull to better understand what you call “where we want the game to be…”

(edited by Kicast.1459)

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

allo allie

Phaatonn, London UK

I'm back!

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

You know what, ill help you out on this one.

What i can do is play a couple of 100 soloq games coming week and screenshot every single matchup. I can ask the players on those screenshots what they think about the map and if they think it should be out of the rotation.

I can make a nice spreadsheet for you so can see the results with your own eyes. I will start this research coming monday.

Funny, I was thinking about doing something similar myself, just sending whispers to random players in say, the top 500 of the solo queue. Good luck (and thanks) if you do it, though I’m skeptical if they will even really care.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

Next

what does this line mean: “[Grouch] just won’t be as active on the forums or behind the scenes.”

Hmm, that did sound a bit ominous! Don’t worry – I’m still here, I’m just switching to a different team. It’s true that I won’t be as active on these forums, but I should still be active “behind the scenes” unless someone forgot to deliver the terrible news to me. -.-

Guild Wars 2 PvP is the main reason why I came to ArenaNet. I’ll always have my finger on the pulse, whether that’s from reading the forums in my spare time, or logging in to play after work.

Something something, touching moment, something something, this is not goodbye.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Viprek.6730

Viprek.6730

Josh isn’t gone, but his focus will be shifted. I’m not taking his job, he was actually filling in for me while I was gone. He’ll be around, and with us on Ready Up still, just won’t be as active on the forums or behind the scenes.

Hey Allie, an idea that would help the devs simultaneously get feedback and satisfy the players could be to add a check box in the Solo Queue interface to ’’deny’’ a map, but only a single map (wouldn’t affect the queue times much). This would help determine the exact amount of players that dislike a specific map (or simply don’t like to use a specific build to be optimal in that specific map) , and it doesn’t force those that do like it to stop playing it altogether.

Players like me have been solo queuing Team Queue as a work around. Please help us!

-Seikir

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

what does this line mean: “[Grouch] just won’t be as active on the forums or behind the scenes.”

Hmm, that did sound a bit ominous! Don’t worry – I’m still here, I’m just switching to a different team. It’s true that I won’t be as active on these forums, but I should still be active “behind the scenes” unless someone forgot to deliver the terrible news to me. -.-

Guild Wars 2 PvP is the main reason why I came to ArenaNet. I’ll always have my finger on the pulse, whether that’s from reading the forums in my spare time, or logging in to play after work.

Your new title says, “Anet Alpha Team”. What exactly does an Alpha Team member do? Your new title is intriguing. I’m thinking you’re now the member of an elite squad with black suits, sunglasses and earpieces. Maybe your work is classified.

Wait…don’t tell me..because then you’ll have to kill me.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

(edited by felivear.1536)

I'm back!

in PvP

aussieheals.6843

Your new title says, “Anet Alpha Team”. What exactly does an Alpha Team member do? Your new title is intriguing. I’m thinking you’re now the member of an elite squad with black suits, sunglasses and earpieces. Maybe your work is classified.

Obviously, The A Team

Was so temped to create a meme with Grouchs face on Mr T, would of been epic

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Josh isn’t gone, but his focus will be shifted. I’m not taking his job, he was actually filling in for me while I was gone. He’ll be around, and with us on Ready Up still, just won’t be as active on the forums or behind the scenes.

That’s because everyone who hates the map has just switched to solo-queuing in teamQ.

I recently made the mistake of doing soloQ again and landed in Skyhammer. I quit the match 2 minutes in because it’s an unbearable map to play.

Anyway, some hotter topics these past weeks were:

• The relative power of +/- 40% Condition duration food compared to all others (incl. traits).
  • Thieves pushing all other roamers out of the PvP meta.
  • Decap Engineers
  • Downed-State/Rally mechanic possible reworks.
  • Points-per-tick being a terrible scoring mechanism.
  • etc.

(edited by Dee Jay.2460)

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

Grouch is in the “alpha team” now apparently. That means he MUST be working on pvp as we all know that the pvp is basically an alpha in that it doesnt even have all the features which are to be expected from a £60 game with a in game store yet.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.

I'm back!

in PvP

felivear.1536

Obviously, The A Team

Your wish is my command.

Attachments:

(edited by felivear.1536)

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Obviously, The A Team

ain’t gettin on no hammer train

Phaatonn, London UK

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

The big D-word? ………………………………………..

DESIGNER?

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Gesamtkunstwerk.6590

Gesamtkunstwerk.6590

You don’t need to remove Skyhammer to satisfy most players. A better solution is simply to redesign some of its more aggravating and non-competitive mechanics. For example:

1. Continue adding guardrails and reducing breakable panels.
  2. Remove the respawn timer for deaths resulting from knock-offs.
  3. Halve the damage from canon blasts (or make them dodgeable).
  4. Create an objective where we can obtain stability for a brief time.

This would at least retain map diversity, while addressing the concerns of most players.

Diotima of Mantinea, r65 Elementalist
Vovin, r65 Warrior
Guild: V A E V I C T I S [HEX]

I'm back!

in PvP

aussieheals.6843

Obviously, The A Team

I love the internet

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

I said won’t be as active. Not that he’s disappearing completely.

Welcome back. There’s a thread on the Mesmer forums I’d suggest you take a look at. It has to do with Mesmers no longer being viable in the PvP meta (and yet continuing to get nerfed):

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/tPvP-Losing-motivation-need-pep-talk/first

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

I love Skyhammer.

I’ve been entering team queue since it’s rewards got buffed to be more than twice those in solo queue, and I’ve missed playing that map. Don’t let me vocal minority of Skyhammer haters convince you guys to do anything that isn’t in the best interest of the community.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I’m happy whenever any new map is added because there are so few. +1 for Skyhammer.

And it’s definitely not my least favorite map. I wouldn’t be devastated if they made the cannon dodgeable though.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Lash.9461

Lash.9461

Hi Allie,

Do you know if ANet still plan on doing GvG outside of WvW? It was mentioned at launch but still nothing for a while now.

Thanks

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

I hate skyhammer with a passion. Im 100 % certain that skyhammer and skyhammer like mechanics (1-2 shots) are huge part of the reason why GW2s spvp flopped so incredibly hard. At this moment pvp in this game a total waste of resources.

Listening to the few trolls that will insist that this map is great, will keep the pvp in this game in an everlasting downed state.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Hugh Norfolk

Previous

Hugh Norfolk

PvP Game Designer

Next

Obviously, The A Team

Why can’t I like this post more than once!!!!!!

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Pyriall.5027

Pyriall.5027

Obviously, The A Team

Why can’t I like this post more than once!!!!!!

Because you guys would have to hire more than one person to program it. Ewww…sweet burn.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Listening to the few trolls that will insist that this map is great, will keep the pvp in this game in an everlasting downed state.

I didn’t realize my opinion was wrong and I was trolling you until you pointed that out. Thank you kind sir! You have a cheerful and pleasant way of helping us all. God bless you.

I'm back!

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Another pvp resource moved to pve land…

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: CachoDm.4639

CachoDm.4639

Are you red coat ?

R48 Nooßlêss Multiclass Looking for a best friend.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

We have proven without a doubt that a majority, a large majority even, of tournament players hate Skyhammer.

Can you provide the evidences ?

feel free to log in and ask people what they think of the map and how many of them would actually pay to have it removed.
that is the lengths some of us would go through to have skyhammer out of the normal rotations (hotjoin too so we don’t have to keep changing servers repeatedly each time it gets to skyhammer)
its a troll map created for trolls to annoy anyone who is not running a trollhammer specific build.
it doesn’t belong in normal queues.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

Just because we don’t have any plans to remove skyhammer from solo arena right now, doesn’t mean we aren’t kicking around ideas. I can’t get into much detail about it, but we’re trying to figure out how to measure it’s effect on solo arena.

Unfortunately, one straw poll of 300ish people is a very, very small amount of our active player base. It may not seem like we have many people playing because we are all spread over different servers, but our active numbers are much, much bigger than that.

What I meant by behind the scenes, is that I am coordinating the PvP/WvW/Balance community effort, and Josh will be focusing on other things. I didn’t want to say he’s leaving, because he’s not (refer to his post in here). He’s all about the PvP. We’re not “losing him to PvE”. Sorry if that sounded ominous.

I'm back!

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Just because we don’t have any plans to remove skyhammer from solo arena right now, doesn’t mean we aren’t kicking around ideas. I can’t get into much detail about it, but we’re trying to figure out how to measure it’s effect on solo arena.

Unfortunately, one straw poll of 300ish people is a very, very small amount of our active player base. It may not seem like we have many people playing because we are all spread over different servers, but our active numbers are much, much bigger than that.

What I meant by behind the scenes, is that I am coordinating the PvP/WvW/Balance community effort, and Josh will be focusing on other things. I didn’t want to say he’s leaving, because he’s not (refer to his post in here). He’s all about the PvP. We’re not “losing him to PvE”. Sorry if that sounded ominous.

Why not let us block it off of solo queue individually? Let those who like playing it, play it; and those who don’t, don’t.

Seems like the best solution. Even Bliz finally did that, which made sense.

I'm back!

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

Based on my personal experiences — talking to people about PvP, seeing the same people in consecutive matches — and the way the numbers/percentiles work on the leaderboard, I really wonder how many people actually are active in sPvP.

My guess is it’s in the single thousands or low tens of thousands at most across the entire game. National political polls gauging the sentiment of millions of people are conducted generally with sample sizes of around 1,000, with very high accuracy.

A straw poll is not as rigorous, but that doesn’t mean its figures should be summarily discarded especially given a lack of contradictory evidence.

I’m glad to see someone from Arenanet now at least discussing this issue, but I think you are not looking at this in a neutral way if you really don’t see a very strong current of opposition to having this map in solo queue.

I'm back!

in PvP

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

Nope, it’s much, much higher than that. We have real metrics to observe these things.

edit: I’ve talked to a lot of people personally, and the feelings are mixed. I’d say it’s actually close to 50/50. Regardless, talking to random people is not a real metric for the consensus of the playerbase.

Look, we know how passionate some of you feel about this, which is why I’m talking to you about it and why we’re looking into options for what we can do.

(edited by Allie Murdock.8152)

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: glaphen.5230

glaphen.5230

How hard is it to understand this cancerous map is bad for any skilled play? The team with more Engineers or Thieves using stealth pulls/knockbacks wins every single time. If you are put on a team of people who hate the kittenty map and don’t change to their specially made kittenhammer character you will get a guaranteed loss. Remove the kittenty map first and then think of how to improve it.

I'm back!

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

Nope, it’s much, much higher than that. We have real metrics to observe these things.

Ahh the “real” hidden metrics card. Much the same as being told to do something and when asked why; “BECAUSE I TOLD YOU TO”. Care to share?

I'm back!

in PvP

Pyriall.5027

edit: I’ve talked to a lot of people personally, and the feelings are mixed. I’d say it’s actually close to 50/50. Regardless, talking to random people is not a real metric for the consensus of the playerbase.

Look, we know how passionate some of you feel about this, which is why I’m talking to you about it and why we’re looking into options for what we can do.

Why not allow us to block if we don’t want to participate?

I'm back!

in PvP

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

Thanks for the suggestion, Pyriall.5027. Like I said, we’re considering our options.

I'm back!

in PvP

felivear.1536

I can be told, “I have this data here that i can’t show you that proves otherwise” but it’s going to be difficult to convince me away from what I see.

When I Solo Q and Skyhammer comes up, the first thing you see in almost all the matches is “GOD….WHY THIS MAP” or, “great skyhammer again”, or “The SPvP Gods hate me….Skyhammer again.” That doesn’t happen for any other map that I’ve played.

If so many people hate it, why not pull it out of the rotation while you guys, “look at your datasheets for answers” or whatever. Don’t make us suffer while Anet looks into it. Because we know the speed of Anet.

I'm back!

in PvP

Qaelyn.7612

Okay, so ballpark, how many GW2 players play at least 1 solo queue match per week, for example? Can you tell us?

No, but it’s a strong indicator.

But really, even if it’s 50/50 — and I have my doubts that half the people like that map and want everyone to be forced to play it — that’s pretty horrible. Can you imagine any business sticking around if half its customers were unhappy? This isn’t a business, but still, that’s a terrible satisfaction rate for something that people have no way of avoiding short of not playing solo queue or shafting their teammates.

And just to be clear, though I’ve already said it 2 or 3 times, this is a vast improvement over 600-post threads with no red in them, so thank you again.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Don’t remove Skyhammer from PvP, just remove the glass parts that break and you fall through. And nerf the hammer a tad either damage, knockback, make it blockable, slower CD, or something. Why? Because compare it to Khylo trebs. The treb can hit most of the map, has to be manually aimed both direction and distance, can be dodged, and can be destroyed. The hammer? hits the entire map, no brains aiming, can’t dodge it, can’t destroy it.

You could still get pulled off, you still need to fight away from the edge if you don’t want to get ganked, the hammer area is still small to fight over, but at least we won’t have invisible thieves scorpion-wiring you into oblivion and mesmers removing your stability and pulling or pushing you to your death.

Or even have an area underneath so if you fall through you wouldn’t die but you would be certainly inconvenienced having to get back up (with one of those launcher things).

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Don’t remove Skyhammer from PvP, just remove the glass parts that break and you fall through. And nerf the hammer a tad either damage, knockback, make it blockable, slower CD, or something. Why? Because compare it to Khylo trebs. The treb can hit most of the map, has to be manually aimed both direction and distance, can be dodged, and can be destroyed. The hammer? hits the entire map, no brains aiming, can’t dodge it, can’t destroy it.

You could still get pulled off, you still need to fight away from the edge if you don’t want to get ganked, the hammer area is still small to fight over, but at least we won’t have invisible thieves scorpion-wiring you into oblivion and mesmers removing your stability and pulling or pushing you to your death.

Or even have an area underneath so if you fall through you wouldn’t die but you would be certainly inconvenienced having to get back up (with one of those launcher things).

I would be more about a revamp. I like that the mechanics for skyhammer are different. Control classes get their chance to shine. It places a premium on player positioning. I am not saying that it is perfect. It needs changes. I also think people need to be more creative than, “Get rid of it in Solo Queue”.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Well since we are all here
#EvanLesh4PrezandCEO2014

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Thoth Divine.8642

Thoth Divine.8642

Thank you for speaking to us about this issue. I am really hoping that you’ll find a way to solve this issue in the best possible way. By the way, there are many haters & naysayers about this game but personally, I kittening love the PvP. There are just a few things which make the experience frustrating at times: skyhammer and 4v5s being in the top. Some classes/abilities need fixing but I think there is nothing absolutely overwhelming like other games I’ve played have had.

Blessed Curse – Symbolic DH
Thoth Divine – Power Necro
I Hope You Die – Burst Berserker

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Wolf.4739

Wolf.4739

50/50 becasue 50% of the classes get to troll the other classes on that stupid map.

I'm back!

in PvP

Posted by: Arganthium.5638

Arganthium.5638

I love how this is such a typical ANet response. Keep everything extremely vague in order to keep the concerned pacified while the devs do less for the game than the players do (just look at the Balance forum). There is absolutely no transparency here, and quite frankly, it’s extremely frustrating for those of us that are actually concerned about this game. The next balance patch, from what we’ve been hearing, is still ages away (though, not surprisingly, even a rough time frame is difficult to determine due to ANet’s policy of keeping everything as vague as possible), and people want to know that things are going to change for the better if they actually have to wait for that long. These types of responses are not helpful to the community whatsoever.

You don’t need a straw poll in order to determine that certain classes/builds have a massive theoretical advantage over others on that terrible map. Sure, keep it in hot join; hot join is meant to have fun, and even though the map is poorly designed, at least it can be enjoyable. However, SoloQ is meant to be competitive. The entire point of balance is to give classes equal footing. However, Skyhammer goes completely against this idea, and gives some classes a massive advantage over others. For instance, thief is nearly inviable on Skyhammer, because of its lack of stability and CC, as well as its frequent reliance on skills like Withdraw, Roll for Initiative, and Shadowstep that call for a more open and less hazardous battleground. On the other hand, engis and warriors are able to get tons of CC’ing ability via AoE stability and lots of knock backs/pulls. If SoloQ is going to be held as a “competitive” game mode (which is a pretty terrible joke even without Skyhammer due to the ridiculous ranking system) then maps like Skyhammer have to go.

…Sorry if that sounded ominous.

When doesn’kitten

Thief|Mesmer|
Theorycrafter

(edited by Arganthium.5638)