Improving TeamCom

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

hello!

cause i saw this in veewee’s thread and because i think it is a needed feature im opening a thread on this. since beginning the pvp mode lacks communication features. there is one ping and you can draw on the minimap. but it just isnt enough.
i thought about it a lot, and taking everything into count, pros and cons, it needs to stay simple and have a quick readability.
i know it was already discussed several times, but as even wrote

Communication emotes: I really want this and think it’d help coordination a lot. I enjoy this feature in games like Dota2 and HoN. The problem I run into when thinking about this is how to make the feature approachable for all game modes without requiring 50 different voice emotes. This could be solved with generic lines, or automatic clarifications (like Dota2’s missing call know what lane you’re in). Feedback on this feature alone in a new thread would be awesome.

it seems obvious that it didnt get enough attention to be discussed properly.
also you are thinking far too complicated.

main feature
how to implement it in an easy understandable way?
– starting from the actual ping feature:

• shift+singleclick = ping a red dot
  • shift+click’n’hold = drawing on minimap
  • ctrl+click = ping a POI/Waypoint
  • new feature: ctrl+click’n’hold (alt+click’n’hold) opens chat wheel; select message by dragging into one direction and release mousebutton. (cancel by staying in middle of chatwheel)

the main message you need to tell your team can be split into 4 messages over all gamemodes.
– support needed (help!)
– coming to support (on my way!)
– retreat
– danger

top/bottom/left/right
top = danger = red skull on minimap
bottom = retreat = yellow exclamation mark
right = coming to support = green arrow
left = support needed = blue shield

an attack command already exists (default ctrl+t)
those are commands for a team and are visible the same way actual pings are – only for your team.

WvWvW
for commanding wvw those 4 pings are enough for teamcom, you only need to tell your team. for the zerg commands there is a commander – give the commanders their own commands for those things. this may be discussed seperatly in WvW thread?

PvE
thinking of pve (dungeons/events) everything needed is there to communicate with my team in a quick way. combining the chatwheel with ping and drawing i cant think of anything impossible to tell.

visability
i dont think making it chat commands and/or voice commands will do the job. i dont wanna check chat all the time, and if i listen to music i dont want to get voice commands loud enough. could additionally text in teamchat who pinged what ([playername] has ordered a retreat/[playername] is on his way……..)
sure it would be cool to have it voice acted, but does it add bonus readability/understandability? no, definitely not. i would even go further and say that would be much too complicated. keeping it simple is the way to go.
those would be pings in minimap, maybe make em visible on screen too. slightly differ those 4 in soundeffects.

implementing more options in a chat wheel is counterproductive. like i said before: more wvw commands shouldnt be teamcom but for the commander.

also making chatwheel commands as optional player choice is far more counterproductive because those commands only work if it is standard over all modes.

to prevent spamming make it only 5 com per 10 secs (not counting pings, only chatwheel com)

IMHO: making a 4-way-chatwheel asap as a first attempt and keeping the option for more commands would be the way to go. dont waste time wanting to get the perfect feature. do it, then tune it.

<3 u Anet

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

(edited by kito.1827)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Something, anything, to improve communication like a Dota 2 chat wheel would greatly help GW2 PvP as a whole. The reason being, I believe solo q is one of the best places to find skilled players, regardless of how bad the leaderboards are, near the top, there are better players. However, there is very little way in knowing how good a player is until you talk with them in VOIP and see how their awareness is. With an improved communication system, not only will people be able to see good players in solo q based on their rotations, play, but also because of their communication, even if it is a simple chat wheel. Since identifying good players is easier, it reasons that it would be easier to people to find new faces for their teams etc, to get more people into the tPvP seen as well.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Bukkebruse.2810

Bukkebruse.2810

All I want is ingame voice chat, even though that’s way too much to ask for.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Thanks for making this thread. It would be interesting to know all the desired requirements of a system like this as it pertains to Gw2 PvP. Even in Dota2 I only end up using a couple things on the wheel: Missing, and sometimes backup. I usually just spam map pings for everything else.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Steb.2571

Steb.2571

Personally I feel like when seasons come out, having an in game voice coms system (if done well) could be incredible. It sucks going into a conquest match with very little communication.

Yes, I’m aware that some people are annoying, abuses can take place, and that some people still won’t use it, but just giving the option can make all the difference for those who choose to use it.

Guild Wars 2 is an INSANELY active, and demanding game to play, having to micro things like commands or map pings on top of playing is not reasonable, I couldn’t even fathom it, even at top tier. This game basically REQUIRES voip, and is very demanding in terms of communication. And I only really see voip as being the way to provide that.

This wouldn’t only help PvP, it would help a ton with WvW, and even PvE dungeons. The thing we need to understand and respect with the difference of a game like GW2 and LoL, is the action is much more focused and fast paced in GW2 compared to LoL, and you’re given much more time to do things like chat commands in games like LoL.

Not to mention, taking your focus off of whats in front of you, to try to send commands, even for a second, can be insanely costly, not just to you, but your entire team.

If you do wheel commands instead of voip, We’re just teaching people to do the wrong stuff again, and working against the games core design.

IGN: Steb
Team: Blacklisted [Envy]

(edited by Steb.2571)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Gunlaugr.2716

Gunlaugr.2716

In league of legends, there is a similar wheel function. The most used options are ’’Missing’’, ‘’On my way’‘, ’’Need backup here’’. I think all of these would be helpful. Another nice option would be ‘’Attack here’‘. It would also be nice to have a short, but distinct sound for each chat wheel command. Although there should be a spam limit, so you don’t have to deal with trolls on your team who only use it to bother the rest of the team.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

I think Vee Wee’s request to make a customizable 8 way wheel for communication is a bit over the top personally. The ability to draw and ping on your map is already useful and I make use of it a lot already. Though the ability to automatically communicate to your team that you’re going to use a specific skill or tactic is interesting, I don’t think it’s that much of a priority and there are better ways of implementing that (such as VOIPs or perhaps programmable macros that automatically write something in party chat when you activate them).

Personally, I like the minimalist approach Kito gave. We don’t need a huge amount of options and we don’t need them voice acted. I would personally prefer that they have icons on the map (like the ping and drawing), but are indicated by a specific sound effect to cue the party to look at the map. In fact, if you just added a unique sound to each comm-option, the party could know what is happening just by the sound it makes. A team could decide to use the comm-options entirely differently than intended and use the sound effects to cue their own intended messages, like sound A meaning you want to stab stomp, or sound B meaning you’re going to banner res, etc. There’s a lot of versatility and utility in just adding a unique sound effect to the different options, and I don’t think it would be that hard to implement. You guys did it in GW1 with pings just fine.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

I would love to see simple rotation requests as an option. “Rotate to home from spawn” and “Rotate mid from home” would be great, and so would"Hold" and “on my way to A, B, C”

Probably no more than 8 options would really be needed but simple stuff to make communication easier would be cool.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I would love to see simple rotation requests as an option. “Rotate to home from spawn” and “Rotate mid from home” would be great, and so would"Hold" and “on my way to A, B, C”

Probably no more than 8 options would really be needed but simple stuff to make communication easier would be cool.

For suggestions like these. What happens if the new game mode has no capture points? Do those options just get replaced with other things?

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Roe.3679

For suggestions like these. What happens if the new game mode has no capture points? Do those options just get replaced with other things?

I suppose they would have to be replaced by other things that are very relevant to that game mode, like killing a flag carrier or guarding them, or etc. etc. that applies to said game mode.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

We have capture points but we also have other objectives which aren’t defined as such. For example, on Khylo, we have the two trebuchets; we’d want to be able to communicate using those points of interest as well.

The system’d need to be able to communicate on more than just the three capture points, so I think if we had ‘areas’ defined, we’d probably also be able to communicate on them? idk, i only just got up, idk if this makes sense

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I suppose they would have to be replaced by other things that are very relevant to that game mode, like killing a flag carrier or guarding them, or etc. etc. that applies to said game mode.

This is why combining functionality with the map seems like a good way to go. Just point at a position on the map and say, “Going here, Need help, Retreat” etc.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Roe.3679

^ There are going to be things that can’t really be included, I think, and these may qualify. So just using the treb example, you could add: “Use our treb,” “Kill their treb,” “inc treb shot,” “inc to our treb,” “repair our treb”…. So on and so forth b

So I think bare, important basics are all you need. Because anything else may be too situational to really need to include as an option.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

^ There are going to be things that can’t really be included, I think, and these may qualify. So just using the treb example, you could add: “Use our treb,” “Kill their treb,” “inc treb shot,” “inc to our treb,” “repair our treb”…. So on and so forth b

So I think bare, important basics are all you need. Because anything else may be too situational to really need to include as an option.

Plus, most of these things are contextual. Ping on an enemy treb to imply killing it. Ping on your own empty treb to imply someone should use it. Ping on manned treb means help it. Ping on dead treb means repair it.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Evan, I don’t know if you’re familiar with Smite, but I love the way they handle team communication.

It takes a little practice and getting used to it, but they have a hotkey (V) that initiates voice commands. From there, you enter a series of letters/numbers that correspond to a very specific direction. These appear as on-screen selections, and each one corresponds to a key that adds a category to the vocal line. Some are simple like attack or defend, but others claim “Ultimate is Ready” (VVVR) or “Defend Left Lane” (VD1) or “Enemy Missing Middle” (VF2) etc…

So to use Roe’s treb example, it could be like – VAT (voice-attack-treb=attack enemy treb as the spoken command) VDT (voice-defend-treb=defend our treb as the spoken command) VCM (voice-cap-mid=Cap middle-point) or VCB (voice-cap-b=Cap middle-point/point B ) [if points maintain a standard labeling system now]

Not being a MOBA, GW 2 wouldn’t require as many of these commands, but it could be a way to improve team communication with minimal mouse involvement, allowing players to stay focused on the action.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Malchior.5042)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Evan, I don’t know if you’re familiar with Smite, but I love the way they handle team communication.

It takes a little practice and getting used to it, but they have a hotkey (V) that initiates voice commands. From there, you enter a series of letters/numbers that correspond to a very specific direction. Some are simple like attack or defend, but others claim “Ultimate is Ready” (VVVR) or “Defend Left Lane” (VD1) or “Enemy Missing Middle” (VF2) etc…

Not being a MOBA, GW 2 wouldn’t require as many of these commands, but it could be a way to improve team communication with minimal mouse involvement, allowing players to stay focused on the action.

I have played Smite, but I was not a fan of how complex their comm menus were. Sure you can develop the muscle memory, but its hard for new players and all that work goes out the window when you have a new map with a different lane structure.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

The LoL pings are excellent. If you want to go to a point or get a treb, you can just ping that you’ll go there.

The only problem with the LoL pings, if directly applied to GW2, is that they’re missing an important one: request players to go to that point instead of you yourself going there. Generally, in LoL, that’s usually the jungler’s job: all that needs to be done is ask for assistance. But in GW2, where players do not have “fixed” lanes to stay at and rotations happen more often, a “someone go there!” command is very important when you can’t personally go there.

If we were to keep things simple and elegant, and only add four pings to the wheel, I would change the “Assist Me!” to “Help Here!” to fulfill both its original purpose as well as the purpose I mentioned above.

For that, I would go for those four pings:

• Missing!
  • Danger!
  • Help here!
  • On my way!

You could ping a “help here!” at your location, to function as an “assist me”, or ping it at another location in the map, to request someone to go there when you can’t.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

If Vee Wee had to pick fast chat menu, smart ping, or voice chat, Vee Wee would pick fast chat menu! This is because a fast chat menu can be applied to all game modes! If we are able to customize it, we can say literally anything and change it out for different game modes! Smart ping only works for parties! Not very useful in WvW! Vee Wee would assume the same thing applies to voice chat! With a customizable fast chat menu, we can communicate with everybody and not just your party!

Of course ideally Vee Wee would prefer all 3 but Anet only works on one thing at a time! So if Vee Wee had to choose one, it would be fast chat!

The way Vee Wee would implement it is like this! First there is a new window in the options menu! This window has x amount of commands! In the first box, you type in something like “Stack on me!” Then you go in game and open the chat menu and the first option will say “Stack on me!” Click it and then in party or team chat you’ll say, “Stack on me!” In the options menu there should also be a choice of whether you want to say the commands in team or party chat!

Vee Wee likes the idea of having our character speak fast chat commands! But Vee Wee thinks it’s impractical! It would restrict what information can be relayed and you’d need like 1000+ lines of voice acting to cover all game modes! What you could do to make it stand out is to have a sound play every time you use a command! There would have to be a cooldown on the sound to prevent spam! Maybe fast chat text could be a different color than normal chat! There’s a million and one ways to do this! The world is our oyster! Yippee!

That’s Vee Wee’s idea!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

(edited by ArrDee.2573)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

If Vee Wee had to pick fast chat menu, smart ping, or voice chat, Vee Wee would pick fast chat menu! This is because a fast chat menu can be applied to all game modes! If we are able to customize it, we can say literally anything and change it out for different game modes! Smart ping only works for parties! Not very useful in WvW! Vee Wee would assume the same thing applies to voice chat! With a customizable fast chat menu, we can communicate with everybody and not just your party!

Of course ideally Vee Wee would prefer all 3 but Anet only works on one thing at a time! So if Vee Wee had to choose one, it would be fast chat!

The way Vee Wee would implement it is like this! First there is a new window in the options menu! This window has x amount of commands! In the first box, you type in something like “Stack on me!” Then you go in game and open the chat menu and the first option will say “Stack on me!” Click it and then in party or team chat you’ll say, “Stack on me!” In the options menu there should also be a choice of whether you want to say the commands in team or party chat!

Vee Wee likes the idea of having our character speak fast chat commands! But Vee Wee thinks it’s impractical! It would restrict what information can be relayed and you’d need like 1000+ lines of voice acting to cover all game modes! What you could do to make it stand out is to have a sound play every time you use a command! There would have to be a cooldown on the sound to prevent spam! Maybe fast chat text could be a different color than normal chat! There’s a million and one ways to do this! The world is our oyster! Yippee!

That’s Vee Wee’s idea!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

Vee wee’s the best!

TBH, customizing our chat commands (almost like a macro) had never occurred to me but it’s brilliant and simple! Also, it doesn’t require any new voiceover or over-complicated systems like chat wheels or comm menus. +1 for Vee Wee

Vee Wee, couldn’t you just do /p or /t or /d to quickly swap between team, party, and squad commands? Could be neat for some WvW micro-managing. Heck, if the UI is designed properly, we could even establish different macro chats for each of the chat channels. I’d use /P as my dungeon channel. /T as my WvW channel. /D as my World Events channel. Set up different commands for each channel.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Malchior.5042)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Also, could the “map drawings and red circles button” aka SHIFT , become biindable to something else?

I already have shift binded to something, and I so have to blow a dodge everytime i want to ping or draw on map.

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Neschast.7196

Neschast.7196

Another thing you might consider adding is pinging abilities. I know you can already auto-chat an ability by Control + Clicking it, but I think it would be nice if you added some kind of timer functionality to it as well. Like, if the skill is off cool down, you could append a “Ready!” to it. Or if it’s on cool down, maybe a timer on how much longer until the skill comes off cool down?

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Duran.3196

Duran.3196

I think the 4 things Kito mentioned are really good and basic ones that can be applied to every game mode.

I think the most important thing with it are accustic signals, that suggest: HEY LOOK ON YOUR MINIMAP!

To be honest I cant stand the announcer, cause hes bubbling * I already know all the time, cause I always have my right eye on the minimap if not in a fight (even then from time to time), so I see when a point is captured or not.

But what I dont see properly on the map is for example in legacy of the foefire if the lord is attacked, and I dont want all the babbling from the anouncer just for hearing that one thing, would be nice to solve this with some pings as well.

#ELEtism

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Thanks for making this thread. It would be interesting to know all the desired requirements of a system like this as it pertains to Gw2 PvP. Even in Dota2 I only end up using a couple things on the wheel: Missing, and sometimes backup. I usually just spam map pings for everything else.

Hey Evan,

This is kind of related to communication but, I think it would be really helpful if the call target vocal was changed to the distinct ping sound that was in the original guild wars. Most of the time, the vocal “assist me” isn’t heard. And if it is heard the audio is very low.

Because of this most of the time I have to look to see if someone was asking to focus a target in party chat rather than actually hearing it.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Something like league of legends. Like hold a button over the map and you get a commo rose with stuff like “on my way” “help me” “go here” etc.

Ranger | Elementalist

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

Both Kito and Vee Wee’s ideas sound great. I for one may like the latter best because I actively check my chat already, and it will be very easy to keep track of.

However, having a VoIP would be amazing! Make it so yu can mute / block people. Having that on top of the Kito’s ping idea or Vee Wee’s chat wheel would just be amazing and would definitely help taking this game to a new level for me!

Melder – Thief

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Just please unbind shift or else this feature won’t work

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

The LoL pings are excellent. If you want to go to a point or get a treb, you can just ping that you’ll go there.

The only problem with the LoL pings, if directly applied to GW2, is that they’re missing an important one: request players to go to that point instead of you yourself going there. Generally, in LoL, that’s usually the jungler’s job: all that needs to be done is ask for assistance. But in GW2, where players do not have “fixed” lanes to stay at and rotations happen more often, a “someone go there!” command is very important when you can’t personally go there.

If we were to keep things simple and elegant, and only add four pings to the wheel, I would change the “Assist Me!” to “Help Here!” to fulfill both its original purpose as well as the purpose I mentioned above.

For that, I would go for those four pings:

• Missing!
  • Danger!
  • Help here!
  • On my way!

You could ping a “help here!” at your location, to function as an “assist me”, or ping it at another location in the map, to request someone to go there when you can’t.

There is an “Need Assistance” ping in LoL

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

I have played Smite, but I was not a fan of how complex their comm menus were. Sure you can develop the muscle memory, but its hard for new players and all that work goes out the window when you have a new map with a different lane structure.

Please stop using new players as an argument. Everyone can learn driving a car or using a smartphone… what is a game compared to that?

My first few matches in smite I didn’t used it at all, because I was learning the rest of the game → I’m not forced as a new player to use it.
After getting used to the other game mechanics I started small with 2-3 messages (f.e. enemy missing, enemy returned, careful) → I’m not forced as a new player to use every single option. Buy why limit other players?

The big plus for the smite system is, that the system does not have to recognize where I’m. I can ping from the right lane, that someone in the left lane is missing (f.e. I used that option when playing with a friend, and he was not yet able to use the comm system). => therefore also easier to implement.

I think there are only two points worth discussing:
→ Which messages should the system include?
→ How could the mechanic look to prevent players from just spamming the kitten out of the comm system and annoy people?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

I don’t really play with people in voice coms.

The #1 thing I want as far as easier team communication is mesmer portals that show up on the map.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

imo a ping-wheel like this http://dawncentral.com/image/Dawngate-ping-wheel.jpg would work well.
plus giving every ping a different sound.

making chat commands may be an option for further commands in future, but just considering every possible command action, or even making it customizable is far away from keeping it simple.

i didnt like the smite-like-commands at all. as i saw it, i instantly refused to get into it. just personal preference.

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

customizing your own commands. however we get to choose a set of “preset” icons that is displayed on map alongside a chat command that is instantly said in team chat only.

The only prequisite for this system to work is that icons are fairly basic and should be pretty self explanatory even without text.

There should also be an introduction video-clip when entering PvP for the first time explaining this system in detail to help new players.

If they know this system. Good or bad player – it will make a massive difference in overall team performance.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: Bezagron.7352

Bezagron.7352

This is one idea I would really love to see in GW2, emote pings. A ping can only do so much, and as Evan says their contextual. But in the heat of battle a ping can be easy to miss.

I’ve been lucky to get into Heroes of the Storm and one thing I’ve really loved is the contextual voice pinging and underlining chat wheel. The largest point for me was the contextual ping was automatic and the system was very simple but allow greater depth of communication other them using typing or voice chat. Some examples using GW2 conquest;

• Ping Neutral or Enemy Capture point – Pings point and voices “Capture this point”
  • Ping Ally Capture point – Pings point and voices “Defend this point”
  • Ping Map Secondary Mechanic – Pings point and voices “Kill/Capture/Use Mechanic”
  • Ping Ally – Pings point and voices “Support this Ally”
  • Ping Enemy – Pings point and voices “Attack this Enemy”

The top three can be done now by pinging but the true strength is the combination of visual ping, voice dialogue and chat window.

Snip…

Plus, most of these things are contextual. Ping on an enemy treb to imply killing it. Ping on your own empty treb to imply someone should use it. Ping on manned treb means help it. Ping on dead treb means repair it.

Evan you mention that pinging at certain location implies an action associated with said location. Could a quick voiced dialogue be added to support the implied action. The voiced dialogue could also be displayed in the chat window.

We really don’t need so much as the overall action players can do are:

• Attack
  • Defend
  • Support
  • Capture
  • Use
  • Retreat
  • Moving here
  • Danger here

As mentioned these can be achieved to a certain level already by the simple ping but I feel if the implied action at the pinged location was also voiced and the voiced dialogue recorded in the chat window this would help a lot more then the simple ping.

Miss the ping and chat window, listen to the voiced dialogue,

Missed the voiced dialogue check the chat window for the implied action,

Miss the ping click in the chat window to re-ping location (only ping your map).

By using ping, the implied action & a retreat ping I believe you can greatly improve team communication.

One last point is the difficult identifying walkable terrain and non walkable terrain on the mini map. Improving this would help players that don’t know map routes off by heart (minus short cuts, teleport locations, etc..) identify routes and paths players need to travel. At the moment GW2 mini map doesn’t help in route & path identification when travelling throughout the PvP maps. Improving this will help team coordination which in turn helps team communication.

(edited by Bezagron.7352)

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Roe.3679

^ I’m not sure how possible that is but it’s an interesting concept. Chat is good but hard to do if you have no time, and you can see chat after the fact and not be sure if it still applies. Map pings are good but I find a lot of players don’t check the map. A voice could be really interesting, although it seems like a lot more work for the devs.

Improving TeamCom

in PvP

Posted by: DanzelOPP.5068

DanzelOPP.5068

Why make a secondary chat area for map pings?? Let’s say you are bunking home, you ping the map to let your team know you need help. Maybe a text should pop in the corner there that says " your home point needs help" this could be applied to all points. Let’s also say of I ping on top of myself it could say “boink needs help” now I know this could be rather annoying because people would probably ping like crazy…but even with some kind of scrolling text to choose through I don’t think it should be displayed in chat because usually when I read chat it’s after the fact or the window of oppurtinity has passed.
Pinging mini map is a good idea but has flaws. For one I have noticed that when the map gets pinged either no one responds or everyone does. How about when someone pings a part of the map you get a clearer view of what’s going on there?? Currently if no one on your team is in tht area you can’t see who’s capping the point. I say if you hold the point or it’s neutral why can’t we ping it to see who is there capping and make a judgment call on who to send.

B O I N K