In game VOIP/VoiceChat a good idea?

in PvP

Posted by: tronjeremy.5820

tronjeremy.5820

I was wondering if this would boost pvp. Many don’t have TS and those that do have a huge advantage. I believe adding ingame voice or at least if GW2 promoted some TS/Mumble/Vent plugin that it would help boost pvp players to learn good practices faster.

Best Teef NA – http://twitch.tv/tronjeremy_
S/D Condi Build Video – http://goo.gl/bYGs9n
Stronkhold Beta Gameplay – http://goo.gl/IMb8qb

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

It wouldn’t matter too much because people won’t listen same as map chat and not every solo player has a headset. Uncoordination will still be there when it’s solo vs premades.

That said it’s an additional feature and that’s always wanting.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

+1
I would like to second this idea. To be able to communicate with your team in real time without getting typefragged would be a great improvement.
(Voice Coms, Unique Ping Commands, etc)

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

in PvP

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I was wondering if this would boost pvp. Many don’t have TS and those that do have a huge advantage. I believe adding ingame voice or at least if GW2 promoted some TS/Mumble/Vent plugin that it would help boost pvp players to learn good practices faster.

Try Overwolf.

There are plenty of options available for voice coms without adding it in-game.
If PvP players are interested they can certainly explore these options. But if they aren’t using them now, there is no reason they are going to start using them if it was added in-game.

I don’t see any reason to add it in-game. At worst it would cause lag issues, more player rage because player Y wasn’t using the voice comms and thats why the team lost, etc.

No. If you want players to use existing methods, educate them on the importance of using voice coms, but it doesn’t need to be added in-game.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: Mak.2657

Mak.2657

Agree. In-game voice chat with positional sound would make game better. Same situation was with LFG system. Now nobody is using external site.

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

If PvP players are interested they can certainly explore these options. But if they aren’t using them now, there is no reason they are going to start using them if it was added in-game.

Convenience – people are more likely to use voice coms if it was included as part of the game.

I don’t see any reason to add it in-game.

The reason to add it in game is to encourage / facilitate players communicating.

it doesn’t need to be added in-game.

Does Too!

and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)

in PvP

Mak.2657

I think you underestimate power of convenience and easy access.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

I think you underestimate power of convenience and easy access.

Those programs are already very convienient and easy accessable. Like I said, use overwolf. Very easy to use, very accessible, has some cool options and does alot more than voice coms.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

I don’t think, I would use it. Just think about every little flamer on the map chat, that you now have to block instantly, because he is shouting in your ear…

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

in PvP

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

client lags man. voip should have its own memory space.

in PvP

Posted by: choovanski.5462

choovanski.5462

I don’t think, I would use it. Just think about every little flamer on the map chat, that you now have to block instantly, because he is shouting in your ear…

i agree. teamspeak rocks because you choose who you talk to. i have been raged at for LOSing at forest mid when the ranger is on a ledge and i have no ranged weapons. i have no interest in hearing the rage of fools.

. Engi & Warr . Beta > 2017 Death of PvP
currently a Boyfriend main :P
Waiting To ReRoll Mystic & Forget About Tyria

in PvP

Posted by: arron.7348

arron.7348

the last thing this game needs is more bandwidth being consumed, i already have many friends who can’t do wvw/world bosses because of it

no

in PvP

Posted by: Chaotic.9742

Chaotic.9742

Only if there’s a mute function like in DOTA to silence the idiots and crybabies yelling nonsense in my ear

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Precicely!

Also how would you make it so you can switch channels?
Or just have a general PvP channel, that everyone on your team automatically get access to? What if I didn’t want to listen to a bunch of people whining that I play necro in PvP? OR that I’m not running X build?
What about guilds and WvW? or servers? What would stop me from just jumping to the enemies channel and disrupting communications by rick rolling them during reset night?
Would each guild get their own channel?
How many channels can a guild have?
How many guilds are there? Do you need to have X guild members in order to get an in-game channel? What about single/2 player guilds? Do they get their own channel?

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Mak.2657

I think it could be configurable to silence individual ppl, set max loud, etc. Lags are not necessarily, anet just could lease voip serveres with different bandwith channel. Using ts dousn’t makes u lag after all. And nobody forces to use it indeed.

What about guilds and WvW? or servers? What would stop me from just jumping to the enemies channel and disrupting communications by rick rolling them during reset night?
How many guilds are there? Do you need to have X guild members in order to get an in-game channel? What about single/2 player guilds? Do they get their own channel?

Don’t hurry. Let’s look how it would work at pvp at first. And as I said, nobody forces u to use it.

(edited by Mak.2657)

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

Precicely!

Also how would you make it so you can switch channels?
Or just have a general PvP channel, that everyone on your team automatically get access to? What if I didn’t want to listen to a bunch of people whining that I play necro in PvP? OR that I’m not running X build?

VOIP, if you have ever played a game that has it (guessing not from your statement) would be a huge help.

Let’s look at Battlefield’s VOIP for example. There are say 64 players on a team and squads of 5. Every Squad has their own VOIP. If you enter a new squad you are automatically on comms with them. You can mute players at your own will. If you don’t have a mic you should be automatically able to hear everyone still; unless you un-check a VOIP box in your settings. You can still mute individual players by simply clicking the VOIP icon next to their name. This way players can speak and mute at their own desire.

Competitive gaming requires communication. If ANET really wants more people to enjoy PvP, they will add this. Then the only advantage premades have is time spent playing with each other and ‘proper’ communication of events. Also, you cannot guarantee everyone will be calling out all needed information like premades do, but a little bit goes a long way.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

pdavis.8031

ghOst:

I have played games with built in VOIP.
Didn’t much care for it. I ended up always disabling it because of some jerk or people just chatting away having nothing to do with the game.

I’m not disputing the helpfulness of having VOIP communications. I just see no reason for it to be included in-game. I can see it causing more problems than it’s worth. If people want to use it, great! Use one of the many third party VOIP clients out there, all available for free, as well as the ability to set up a free server to use.

I don’t see why i should be forced to use voice chat unless I choose to. Sure you can have the option to disable it, but I can do the exact same thing with already available tools. Plus with the third party options, its far more secure. I get to choose who has access and who doesn’t.

I feel that the time, energy, and money can be better spent on fixing certain professions, developing content, and making the game as a whole much better. Sinking those resources into implementing voice coms, when there are already great options available, just wouldn’t be a good move on Anets part. And thats not including the extra costs of mainting those servers, having to hire more people to setup, maintain, monitor, and manage such things. The staff already has enough on their plate as it is, no reason to add more.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

But if they aren’t using them now, there is no reason they are going to start using them if it was added in-game.

There are many players who would use this if it was added in game.

I don’t see any reason to add it in-game.

It would encourage more players to use voice communications.

At worst it would cause lag issues, more player rage because player Y wasn’t using the voice comms and thats why the team lost, etc.

It could create lag, but then almost anything added to the game could and it’s just as possible this could be added w/o any negative performance on the game.

Some players will rage because of anything though. I don’t think potential rage is a valid argument against this. I am open to discussion on it though.

No. If you want players to use existing methods, educate them on the importance of using voice coms, but it doesn’t need to be added in-game.

If using voice coms is important, having voice coms accessible to everyone should be equally important.

I agree with you, it shouldn’t be forced on anyone. It should be given as an optional tool at their disposal should they want to with the ability to mute/ report anyone who abuses it.

client lags man. voip should have its own memory space.

Agree, I envision this VOIP to have it’s own resources that do not impact the game. So if your voice coms dropped you can continue to play and vice versa.

i have no interest in hearing the rage of fools.

Indeed it should be optional to use this system and have the ability to mute those who abuse it. Possibly even have it’s own dishonor system.

the last thing this game needs is more bandwidth being consumed, i already have many friends who can’t do wvw/world bosses because of it

no

Bandwidth? Are you certain their connection speed is hindering their WvW perforance? I often hear that it’s the processing power that is the biggest impact.

Also how would you make it so you can…snip

These are good/ interesting questions I think would be very good to ask should we get a CDI for this topic.

@ GhOst.4019 Very good points.

in PvP

Posted by: ukuni.8745

ukuni.8745

considering there is allways atleast one guy raging in some way its not something id like to have to put up with.

edit, yea i could potentially disable it but at what point does ones involvement in a team hinder or help just by risking an inevitable onsluaght of abuse that will come with a in game voip, essentially people will expect you to use it and if you dont they rage if you do you better be an amazing player.

Still Winning And Grinning (Swag)
Ukune – Engineer of Maguuma
Check me out on YouTube

(edited by ukuni.8745)

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

Indeed, as long as there is a mute option or an option not to use it, then it wouldn’t have a negative impact on those who don’t want to use it. They could simply choose not to.

in PvP

GhOst.4019

No one is “forcing” you to use it, like you said… You can turn it off, like you said you have in other games. Just because YOU don’t want to use it, it doesn’t mean other people will not. You can also individually mute a single player with the click of your mouse. Then the kitten is not in your ear and you can hear the useful people. However you want to do it. It is also not that much effort to set up for a game. Half of the stuff is already in place.

How can you do the exact same thing with set tools. Are you going to ping your TS info to everyone pug on your team? Then hope they get connected and into the channel in time, before delaying the game? It will HELP the game. It has been a huge step forward for every single game that has ever implemented it.

People constantly complain that they only want to Solo Q and shouldn’t have to team up. They then complain because the enemy team is on comms and they are not. This would solve a massive issue and make people very happy. If you choose to turn it off, so be it; that is your choice.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

pdavis.8031

OIIIIIO:
So adding it in game and making it more accessible would cause more people to use it?
What about the existing apps that are already accessible?

Thats my point. Such things are already accessible, so whats stopping anyone from using it? Because it’s not in-game?

I don’t see a valid argument that would cause more people to use the in-game voice chat over existing options.
“Because it’s there!”
Well, yeah. But so are other options.
“It’s easier to access”
So is TS, Ventril, Mumble, etc…
“It provides better communication”
Certainly. So does TS, Ventrilo, Mumble, etc…

I’ll need a better reason than “just because”….

recognize my command!”

in PvP

GhOst.4019

@ghost, no ones forcing you to use it, except if you dont use it and we lose its your fualt you stupid scrub.

there is no room for Voip in a game that currently has no team que.

You sir are naive and ignorant. THE MAIN POINT of voip is for the people not on a team. If you have a premade, you most likely have alternate communication. The Solo Q’ers do not. If you don’t want to use it. That is up to you. Your whole argument “I think it’s stupid so Anet shouldn’t do it, because I will never use it”; is the dumbest thing in this thread. No one cares if you will use it or not. Don’t hinder other players because you don’t want to use something.

Are you going to post a thread on how Anet wasted their time with all the camera changes? I can see it now…
“Anet, why did you waste all the time on these camera changes. I don’t even use the full vertical and camera to the side view because that would be unplayable. I don’t use first person view because you can’t play like that. What a waste of time and money.”

NO, they did it for convenience. They did it for players that want to create videos without their character being on their screen! If they can implement something that has nothing to do with gameplay and is solely for making videos; I am pretty sure they can add VOIP, which would actually contribute to gameplay.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Mak.2657

OIIIIIO:
So adding it in game and making it more accessible would cause more people to use it?

Exactly! If ppl need only to press 1 button instead 2 buttons – more ppl would use that thing ^^. You can call it QoL thingy.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

OIIIIIO:

Exactly! If ppl need only to press 1 button instead 2 buttons – more ppl would use that thing ^^. You can call it QoL thingy.

Yes I can see it being a QoL thing.

However, there are already other options. So why use the resources to implent this instead of using them where they would be better put to use?

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Mak.2657

Because it makes pvp (and game in general) significantly more attractive and convenient for solo players without big efforts and money (through lease\adapting existing solutions) IMO.

(edited by Mak.2657)

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Probably a good way it would officially support ingame direct voip free application like Curse Voice.

At least they don’t spend resources to build something already exists (and it works well).

(edited by MarkPhilips.5169)

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Because it makes pvp (and game in general) significantly more attractive and convenient for solo players without big efforts and money (through lease\adapting existing solutions) IMO.

Big efforts? Opening up TS, clicking connect to whatever server, then selecting the channel is too much effort?

Money? Not really, like I said, the clients are free, and there are free servers and the ability to create your own voice server without a lot of effort.

Is convenience worth the extra cost of: manpower, equipment, and maintenance?
Plus something like that isn’t just a one time cost. It’s on going.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

GhOst.4019

Big efforts? Opening up TS, clicking connect to whatever server, then selecting the channel is too much effort?

Money? Not really, like I said, the clients are free, and there are free servers and the ability to create your own voice server without a lot of effort.

Please dude, just stop talking already. You expect a bunch of solo Q players to want to try to find a VOIP server and then get the info to everyone and connect prior to every single match? So now every single player has to all have Mumble, TS, Vent etc etc to make sure they have the correct program for whatever every other player on the team decides to use. WTF are you saying. How is that in any way convenient for Solo Q players….This would be a big help and attraction for the community. To say otherwise is just….

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Mak.2657

I mean efforts and money for anet. “manpower, equipment, and maintenance” – "without big efforts and money (through lease\adapting existing solutions) "
Some ppl haven’t voice chat at all, one use only mumble, 2nd – ts, 3rd one prefers ventrillo, etc. It easier to motivate ppl to use voice chat if it already built-in. It would be significant help to anet goal make gw2 esport IMO.

in PvP

alcopaul.2156

the ultimate solution to this is to separate soloque from premade teams. so all soloqueuers will not have voip and will have to rely on their leet skills.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Please dude, just stop talking already. You expect a bunch of solo Q players to want to try to find a VOIP server and then get the info to everyone and connect prior to every single match? So now every single player has to all have Mumble, TS, Vent etc etc to make sure they have the correct program for whatever every other player on the team decides to use. WTF are you saying. How is that in any way convenient for Solo Q players….This would be a big help and attraction for the community. To say otherwise is just….

Angry much?

We were having a decent discussion. I am pointing out the opposing view point. (which makes it an actual discussion, rather than a bunch of people agreeing).
Sure it’s a matter of convenience, but one point that is failing to be addressed, is the costs involved for Anet to implement such things. Is it worthwhile for them in greatly increase their costs of operation so Solo Queue players don’t have to coordinate with their team from the very start to get everyone into an existing channel?

I don’t see it as a “big help”. I see it as an unecessary cost, an uneeded feature that would certainly cause more problems than it’s worth. I feel that ultimately that it would do more harm than good.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Mak.2657

Probably a good way it would officially support ingame direct voip free application like Curse Voice.

At least they don’t spend resources to build something already exists (and it works well).

Idk Curse Voice but “ingame direct voip free” sounds good ^^

in PvP

GhOst.4019

Greatly increase their costs? Most of the crap is already in place. Won’t take much effort. They have added many things to the game (as I mentioned before) that are completely useless in the aspect of helping the game or improving game-play. This is something that would actually be useful and worth the money spent.

If you feel it is useless and will do more harm then good, that is your opinion. A bad one, but still yours and you get to hold onto that. No game in history that has ever added VOIP has been worse off. It holds a 100% stat as a helpful tool so far in history. Those are pretty good odds that theirs will be better for the community too. You have stated your purpose. No need to post 800 thread replies to every single person that agrees, which is everyone but you. You can turn it off, so it won’t make a difference to you either way.

You want to complain about them wasting money and time instead of helping the community, go make a 4 page thread about it. Start with skins and tools that they spend countless man hours and money developing; for the black lion store each month. These items are an utter waste and in no way help the community or gameplay. They are vanity items. Still, they do it because the players like it and because it gets them money.

More solo Q’ers would be inclined to come back to the game if they can communicate better with their team. This will in turn make Anet more money. Win win for all.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

alcopaul.2156

guys, do you talk to strangers? you don’t know whether that stranger is an kitten, a crybaby, disturbed or a good guy. voip is reserved mainly with the people that you know. this is why premade teams use voip not only for coordination but also for the fact that they know each other. voip in soloqueue is like going to time square and talking to every tourist that you don’t know. moreover, soloqueue is meant for fast matches and no strings attached team ups. it is meant to be voipless.

again, the solution to this is get people from the forum. organize a premade party and use voip to wreck other premades. leave soloqueue fight against a soloqueue team.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Greatly increase their costs? Most of the crap is already in place. Won’t take much effort. They have added many things to the game (as I mentioned before) that are completely useless in the aspect of helping the game or improving game-play. This is something that would actually be useful and worth the money spent.

If you feel it is useless and will do more harm then good, that is your opinion. A bad one, but still yours and you get to hold onto that. No game in history that has ever added VOIP has been worse off. It holds a 100% stat as a helpful tool so far in history. Those are pretty good odds that theirs will be better for the community too. You have stated your purpose. No need to post 800 thread replies to every single person that agrees, which is everyone but you. You can turn it off, so it won’t make a difference to you either way.

You want to complain about them wasting money and time instead of helping the community, go make a 4 page thread about it. Start with skins and tools that they spend countless man hours and money developing; for the black lion store each month. These items are an utter waste and in no way help the community or gameplay. They are vanity items. Still, they do it because the players like it and because it gets them money.

More solo Q’ers would be inclined to come back to the game if they can communicate better with their team. This will in turn make Anet more money. Win win for all.

Reception of WoW in-game voice coms:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6601070167
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/10762336395
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4422092553

Battlefield 3: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625441234168/#!/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654625441234168/2/

Battlefield 4:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/677383-battlefield-4/67401610?page=1

I am sure I could find more. But in the end, even those that play games with in-game voice coms don’t seem to like it and prefer to use TS/vent/mumble.

Also because I disagree, I shouldn’t post in this thread? I should start my own so as to not interfere? Yeah I don’t think so.

No in-game voice chat.
1. Harassment/trolling/raging increases exponentially.
2. Unless you have constant voice com monitors and/or record voice chat reporting abusive players is not available.
3. Extra on going cost for Anet to implement voice coms (servers, personell, equipment, moderators, etc.)
4. Other third party voice chat options available
5. gameplay/server issues increase with such a feature.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Mak.2657

voip is reserved mainly with the people that you know. this is why premade teams use voip not only for coordination but also for the fact that they know each other

What? In my CS experience built-in voice chat was vry useful and I never hesitated to use it.

Soloqueue is meant for fast matches and no strings attached team ups. it is meant to be voipless.

Emm?

2pdawis
1. Cite from link you mentioned above:
“That’s why BF2 2142 has a mute button and if your squad leader you can also kick.”
Mb separate banlist.
2. Same here. Could be tuned to keep sound record for 10 mins after match end if no reports.
3. For example Curse Voice already suggested (no servers, no personell, no equipment, no moderators, etc.). We can’t say about costs of probable decisions, so let’s skip it anyway.
4. Other third party voice chat = ‘Need to press 2 buttons’ = less actions/result ratio
5. Not at all. Leased/dedicated servers with different channels, direct peer-to-peer connection (like Curse Voice I think?), et cetera.

And if u don’t wanna use voice chat nobody will forcde u to do it.

(edited by Mak.2657)

in PvP

alcopaul.2156

solo queue means that i queue alone, blast my punk/ska tunes, and expected to know and do what im supposed to do. or soloqueue means that i queue alone, blast some of my metal tunes or don’t care about winning coz i just wanna test my builds against the metabuilds.

if someone invites me to a group and requires me to hop on a voice comm, i go to ts, and our group queues ranked arenas.

that’s basically the logic.

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

Indeed keeping things civil is important for discussion.

There will be costs associated with adding features to the game.
To say it would greatly increase the costs of Solo-Q is an assumption. It easily could be a minimal cost to add this functionality. For now I’m going to leave this as there is no way to determine with accuracy the costs for ANET to do this.

For Solo Queue – If implemented would allow for greater coordination. As stated previously. To expect your solo queue team to do the following:

a. Have VoiP
b. Have the correct Application
c. Have the time to connect to the VoiP server

Having this expectation can be disheartening. I doubt it would work out often.

For Team Queue – This would put randoms in a better position to fight off pre-mades. Optimally solo-queuer’s will not be paired up with Team Queue but that is for another discussion.

I see adding VoiP as beneficial for the whole game, but primarily for sPvP.
Our voice is one of our greatest assets. I would love to be able to employ it in sPvP.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Indeed keeping things civil is important for discussion.

There will be costs associated with adding features to the game.
To say it would greatly increase the costs of Solo-Q is an assumption. It easily could be a minimal cost to add this functionality. For now I’m going to leave this as there is no way to determine with accuracy the costs for ANET to do this.

For Solo Queue – If implemented would allow for greater coordination. As stated previously. To expect your solo queue team to do the following:

a. Have VoiP
b. Have the correct Application
c. Have the time to connect to the VoiP server

Having this expectation can be disheartening. I doubt it would work out often.

For Team Queue – This would put randoms in a better position to fight off pre-mades. Optimally solo-queuer’s will not be paired up with Team Queue but that is for another discussion.

I see adding VoiP as beneficial for the whole game, but primarily for sPvP.
Our voice is one of our greatest assets. I would love to be able to employ it in sPvP.

Well, as far as costs lets look at an option to give us a general idea.
http://www.arntechltd.com/component/content/article/1-latest-news/61-voipswitch.html

For PvP, you have to figure how many games are being played at any given time, and multiply that by 10 (for each team member).

Now what about WvW and PvE?
Does each zone/BL get their own? Whats the population cap of the BL maps? Whats the population cap of a PvE zone?
What about dungeons? How many dungeon paths? How many paths are being run at any given time?

Put all these things together, and the costs certainly add up quickly.
If they wanted to rent servers for voice chat, how many servers do you need?

A single server with support up to 1000 people at $250 a month.
So they at least would need 1 per zone/BL, say 4 for dungeons (to cover all the paths and how many are being run at any given time and at least 3 for PvP. (just estimating, as we don’t know how many games are being played at any given time.

So 29 zones, 4 for dungeon, 5 WvW zones (including EotM and OS) and say 3 for PvP.
Thats 41 servers needed.
41 servers at $250 a month is $10,250 a month. Thats not including any maintenance fees, any additional people they would need for CS and monitoring (if any), or any unforseen additional costs associated with it.

Thats still a large chunk of change on a monthly basis for any company.

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

in PvP

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

That would be great as long as there’s no audio between different teams.

The problem is that audio can be rather heavy, and it can take quite a high cost.

If I made a game capable of using VOIP, I would make it so the game uses a third party external system that won’t cost me anything instead, so the load and costs is not on your own system. Like being able to connect to Skype or Mumble.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in PvP

Mak.2657

3. For example Curse Voice already suggested (no servers, no personell, no equipment, no moderators, etc.). We can’t say about costs of probable decisions, so let’s skip it anyway.

Anyway let’s constrain by spvp at start.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

That would be great as long as there’s no audio between different teams.

The problem is that audio can be rather heavy, and it can take quite a high cost.

If I made a game capable of using VOIP, I would make it so the game uses a third party external system that won’t cost me anything instead, so the load and costs is not on your own system. Like being able to connect to Skype or Mumble.

True, but the ability to connect those things to your game has a cost. It definitly takes the load off the game, but it comes with a price tag. Plus you have to have enough room to accommidate every single player. Which increases those costs.
Even servers that use TS/mumble/whatever pay a monthly fee to use their servers. Thankfully this cost is generally covered by guild leaders contributing so that those in the server can benefit from it.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Anyway let’s constrain by spvp at start.

I’ll have to look at Curse Voice. It seems pretty good. But at a glance it seems that it is basically an overlay (like Overwolf) that has built in comms.
And while the cost is free for users, what are companies paying for the ability to have Curse integrated into their systems? They need to be making money somehow in order to keep providing their service.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

I appreciate that you took the time to do some estimates on cost, but I can’t accept those numbers. There are so many variables that would go into determining this number that it’s impossible to get an accurate estimate.

One Example -
Company X wants to be associated with GW2 and Offers Service at a discount or even free to get more users on their client.

I’ll stand by my thought that VOIP would be a good idead for GW2 at this juncture, unless you can provide some compelling reasons to convince me otherwise.

There are a lot of things that need to be planned / considered before VOIP can happen, but in the end I firmly believe VOIP should happen.

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

+1 for ingame VOIP

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Posted by: bubby.5798

bubby.5798

+1 VOIP as well, I’d love to troll my team on voice chat.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

I appreciate that you took the time to do some estimates on cost, but I can’t accept those numbers. There are so many variables that would go into determining this number that it’s impossible to get an accurate estimate.

One Example -
Company X wants to be associated with GW2 and Offers Service at a discount or even free to get more users on their client.

I’ll stand by my thought that VOIP would be a good idead for GW2 at this juncture, unless you can provide some compelling reasons to convince me otherwise.

There are a lot of things that need to be planned / considered before VOIP can happen, but in the end I firmly believe VOIP should happen.

Of course its a far from accurate estimate. However, it does give us a general idea of some of the costs invloved. Actual, or even more accurate numbers would require knowing a lot more information than what is currently available to us.

I also understand and appreciate your position.
But for me, an in-game VOIP option has so many things associated with that, that including it seems to be counter productive.

Even games with it included players tend to opt out and use third party apps because it offers better quality, better control and better flexibility.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Mak.2657

And while the cost is free for users, what are companies paying for the ability to have Curse integrated into their systems?

Idk, but even cost of dedicated servers (750$ monthly for 3 spvp servers from ur example, or even 10+k $) can be acceptable price for this option be available. If u wanna such fast pace game be e-sport then in game voice chat helps make it more popular IMO. What could possibly bring much more money. But this is work for anet managers to find worthwhile solutions.

Even games with it included players tend to opt out and use third party apps because it offers better quality, better control and better flexibility.

Whilst it can be true for organized teams, for pugs there is another story.

(edited by Mak.2657)

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

For me it is associated with the following to name a few
-Dungeon Speed Tours
-Organized PvP (Structured or WvW)
-Funny people making me laugh

For me, an in-game VOIP has so many positive benefits associated with it, that including it seems to be necessary.