In game VOIP/VoiceChat a good idea?

in PvP

Posted by: tronjeremy.5820

tronjeremy.5820

The simplest solution might just be ANET posting about a specific server that it recommends players use.

If there was a plugin which automatically put you in the same room as your team that would be fantastic. As long as there is a simple and easy way for randoms and soloq’rs to connect I believe that would be huge.

Best Teef NA – http://twitch.tv/tronjeremy_
S/D Condi Build Video – http://goo.gl/bYGs9n
Stronkhold Beta Gameplay – http://goo.gl/IMb8qb

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

Awhile ago,
maybe a year, a red rep was posting about a chat wheel to facilitate better in game communication. I’m not sure if that will be in the expansion or after or never. I doubt an in game VoIP would be on the table. Put it this way, the competitive side of this game is outsourced through use of custom arenas. If the game can’t better insource that type of structure then why would they insource VoIP?

in PvP

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

In game voice has never helped games that had it built in.

If you are really want team communication and team based tools, the solution is obvious and it has nothing to do with Anet.

in PvP

Posted by: Mak.2657

Mak.2657

In game voice has never helped games that had it built in.

If you are really want team communication and team based tools, the solution is obvious and it has nothing to do with Anet.

Wow!

Proofs (for all games with buit-in voice chat)?
I would be pleased to have convenient in-game voice chat tool at the pugs (i.e. unorganized ppl) disposal.

in PvP

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

I do agree that voice comm’s could help balance sPvP. Premade’s in voice comm’s are an obvious advantage. Beyond sPvP, this game in general lacks tool’s to help bring people together and build communities. One of them certainly being voice communications. Another being a place on these forums for the Worlds to converse. Then there’s the lack of a physical place in game for player’s of each world to gather. You can easily see the need for such things by what players have done for themselves with 3rd party applications and websites.

I imagine the issue keeping voice comm’s out of GW2 is legal liability more than technological. It’s easy to have the profanity filter’s on map chat. Now, how would they have that feature on voice comm’s? How would they moderate and enforce rules on voice comm’s? What would they have to keep a buffered recording of all the streams? Have report functionality in game to save the channel buffer for a period of time before the reports time stamp? Maybe an automated “mute player in channel” function if say a certain percentage of players in a channel reported a player? Then have actual moderator’s able to come in 24/7. There’s just so many issues to overcome, I can see why Anet hasn’t implemented a voice com. Though I still believe it should come from within the game, not outside of the game.

Back on topic though, as I do not see our server’s sPvP channel being used at all.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I remember WoW building an integrated VOIP and it failing hard.

It sounds great in theory until you realize that a VOIP doesn’t matter if other people don’t join in.

..and often the people who need to be on a VOIP the most, won’t be there.

P.s. if you need another reason why it’s a bad idea to voice chat with pugs, feel free to jump in Xbox Live into a Halo game with a headset on. A few minutes of people blasting their music through a low-quality mic and kids whining about the most inane things possible should give you a taste of what it’s like.

(edited by Dahkeus.8243)

in PvP

Mak.2657

Back on topic though, as I do not see our server’s sPvP channel being used at all.

Pug teammates can belong to different servers. Anyway if some ppls are using server spvp channel then they are not a pug in full definition of this word.

I remember WoW building an integrated VOIP and it failing hard.

It sounds great in theory until you realize that a VOIP doesn’t matter if other people don’t join in.

..and often the people who need to be on a VOIP the most, won’t be there.

P.s. if you need another reason why it’s a bad idea to voice chat with pugs, feel free to jump in Xbox Live into a Halo game with a headset on. A few minutes of people blasting their music through a low-quality mic and kids whining about the most inane things possible should give you a taste of what it’s like.

Idk about wow experience. But mb just mute button against each teamplayer, mb audio ban\friend list?
About profanity issues. Do\how other games solve this problem?
Probably there are some minuses, but pluses too. Sometimes pluses weigh more then minuses. Using cars lead to car crashes, obesity, traffic jams, etc, but it doesn’t stop ppl to use it because of advantages.

In the context of soloq pvp (10-15 min, pug, difference in experience) it would be a plus imo.

And again, get annoyed by voice chat – turn option off.
I’m starting to think that ppl against just have shrill voices

(edited by Mak.2657)

in PvP

DeWolfe.2174

Even though I said all that above, I’d probably just had gotten muted/kicked after such a frustrating match. Their idea was to zerg around the points, while not defending the Lord in Forefire even. #Salty

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: Amaterasu.6280

Amaterasu.6280

Definitely not – most people would just troll and abuse the system.

Kuro – Thief – NA
Undercoverism [UC]

in PvP

tronjeremy.5820

A big advantage to communication is quickly learning what’s right and wrong through feedback. Right now there are many people who are locked into bad habits due to poor communication.

On top of that many people don’t see downloading an extra program as easy or convenient even if some of us do. If you do not want VOIP simply turn it off like you can simply ignore this post.

in PvP

Posted by: OIIIIIO.7825

OIIIIIO.7825

another reason why it’s a bad idea to voice chat with pugs, feel free to jump in Xbox Live into a Halo game with a headset on. A few minutes of people blasting their music through a low-quality mic and kids whining about the most inane things possible should give you a taste of what it’s like.

Haven’t you heard GW2 has the most positive community.

There are times when it is appropriate to compare with other games to draw realistic conclusions, however to compare the GW2 community with a FPS community is not appropriate. There is very little in common between these two games /communities.

Definitely not – most people would just troll and abuse the system.

I agree trolling will happen, but why do you think “most people” would troll?

We are known for having a great community. Do you think that having voice communications would cause people to start being negative just because they got a new way to interact?

A victor gives no quarter when the victor shows no clemency or mercy
and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)
of a vanquished opponent.

(edited by OIIIIIO.7825)

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

If people would just follow the pings knowledgeable players provide it would be plenty most of the time for solo queue at least. It couldn’t hurt but really if people can’t follow a ping on a map what makes people think voice would help? The dopes would just ignore that as well or turn it off. The sad fact of the matter is imo at least 1/3 of the player base that solo’s have there own agenda that has little to do with winning. Generally they want to pew pew (kitten capture point zergers) and duel (far point lemmings in particular) and rack up a high point score.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

If people would just follow the pings knowledgeable players provide it would be plenty for solo queue at least. It couldn’t hurt but really if people can’t follow a ping on a map what makes people think voice would help? The dopes would just ignore that as well. The sad fact of the matter is imo about 1/3 of the player base that solo’s have there own agenda that has little to do with winning. Generally they want to pew pew and duel and rack up a high point score.

This ^
Or just goof around for a little bit. Not everyone takes PvP seriously. Sometimes people want to jump in just to take a break from running dungeons, or WvW, or whatever.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

It couldn’t hurt but really if people can’t follow a ping on a map what makes people think voice would help?

Players may not understand what you mean by a ping.
-Do you want encourage others to join you on point?
-Do you want to swap with another player so you can roam to another point?
-Do you want to discourage other players from going to that point?
-How do you know if they noticed your ping?

Pings are helpful, but they do not convey as much information as a few words spoken over VOIP.
In all of the above situations VOIP would enable clear communication and you would be able to verify that they understood/ provide more thorough explanations as to why you suggest those actions.

and refuses to spare the life in return for the surrender at discretion (unconditional surrender)

in PvP

pdavis.8031

It couldn’t hurt but really if people can’t follow a ping on a map what makes people think voice would help?

Newer players may not understand what you mean by a ping.

Pings are helpful, but they do not convey as much information as a few words spoken over VOIP.
In all of the above situations VOIP would enable clear communication and you would be able to verify that they understood/ provide more thorough explanations as to why you suggest those actions.

Agreed. Voice communications are superior to other methods. However, it doesn’t need to be included in game. (As I’ve explained my position on the matter). The ultra casual people who just want to have a good time and play PvP aren’t going to care, and most likely won’t be using a headset, or have any interest in doing so.
The more dedicated PvPers generally have a team they run with and already are using voice comms. The middle line players (semi-dedicated) know enough to know what a ping is, and know how to play. They may be interested in joining in voice chat with a random team, but those are the same people who like to whine and rage about X profession being OP, and that Y player is a noob because they play Z class and they got killed by them. The latter type of players no one wants to be on voice comms with anyway, and will most likely opt out because of those players, or mute them. In which case in-game voice comms isn’t achieving it’s purpose.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

another reason why it’s a bad idea to voice chat with pugs, feel free to jump in Xbox Live into a Halo game with a headset on. A few minutes of people blasting their music through a low-quality mic and kids whining about the most inane things possible should give you a taste of what it’s like.

There are times when it is appropriate to compare with other games to draw realistic conclusions, however to compare the GW2 community with a FPS community is not appropriate. There is very little in common between these two games /communities.

Ever spent more than 2 minutes in the PvP lobby? ’Nuff said.

But even if everyone could act like civilized human beings on the Internet, you’d still find few people logging in a VoIP. This is what happened with WoW. People either preferred their guild’s 3rd party VoIP or didn’t want to voice chat with a pug or were too lazy to plug in theiric or didn’t have a mic or just didn’t want to mess with voice chat at all in any capacity.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

Ever spent more than 2 minutes in the PvP lobby? “Better than” doesn’t equate to “good”.

But even if everyone could act like civilized human beings on the Internet, you’d still find few people logging in a VoIP. This is what happened with WoW. People either preferred their guild’s 3rd party VoIP or didn’t want to voice chat with a pug or were too lazy to plug in their mic or didn’t have a mic or just didn’t want to mess with voice chat at all in any capacity.

in PvP

Posted by: GhOst.4019

GhOst.4019

Just have it turned on automatically as soon as you enter the PvP match for your team (unless you have it unchecked in settings). Then only the players that have it turned on have a “Speaker” symbol next to their picture (or whatever). When they talk, the speaker lights up. Anyone at anytime can individually just click the “Speaker” icon to mute that player on their end. This prevents trolls, because everyone can just turn them off. Just don’t like the sound of someones voice? Turn them off. Don’t require people to have to physically join in the voip. Make it automatic. Then each player has the ability to either turn the whole thing off in settings, or mute anyone they want.

The purpose of the icon is 1: So you know who has voip enabled and can at the least hear you, even though they might not speak. 2: So it can light up or animate so you know which player is talking. 3: So you can just click it and mute them.

#1 Player Granada
#1 Player Comoros

in PvP

Posted by: Puppet.8139

Puppet.8139

Just have it turned on automatically as soon as you enter the PvP match for your team (unless you have it unchecked in settings). Then only the players that have it turned on have a “Speaker” symbol next to their picture (or whatever). When they talk, the speaker lights up. Anyone at anytime can individually just click the “Speaker” icon to mute that player on their end. This prevents trolls, because everyone can just turn them off. Just don’t like the sound of someones voice? Turn them off. Don’t require people to have to physically join in the voip. Make it automatic. Then each player has the ability to either turn the whole thing off in settings, or mute anyone they want.

The purpose of the icon is 1: So you know who has voip enabled and can at the least hear you, even though they might not speak. 2: So it can light up or animate so you know which player is talking. 3: So you can just click it and mute them.

+1

in PvP

pdavis.8031

But thats not convenient for those who want to opt out. So instead of pressing 0 buttons, I need to press 3 or more buttons not to hear some jerk raging because he died.
(See what I did there?)

IF, and a big IF, it was introduced, I would much perfer to have to opt in/join rather than automatically. This way I don’t need to be bothered if I don’t want to join and spend the time to opt out/mute everybody. And if I was feeling like taking PvP a bit more seriously I could join with a click and go.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: Puppet.8139

Puppet.8139

But thats not convenient for those who want to opt out. So instead of pressing 0 buttons, I need to press 3 or more buttons not to hear some jerk raging because he died.
(See what I did there?)

IF, and a big IF, it was introduced, I would much perfer to have to opt in/join rather than automatically. This way I don’t need to be bothered if I don’t want to join and spend the time to opt out/mute everybody. And if I was feeling like taking PvP a bit more seriously I could join with a click and go.

That’s fine. Make it a 1 option box to check to opt in. If they do that, they will need in game news announcement (top right) to alert players it is available. Otherwise most will not know it is even an option. So if you have it checked to opt in, as soon as you load into the PvP map, you are then on comms with everyone on the team. You can then mute whoever you want by clicking their symbols (or however). This could be implemented into dungeons as well, but I don’t think WvW, EoTM or open world should have it. It would be way to chaotic for those things and is not needed as every server in this game has it’s own TS for it anyway. Or just open it into PvP and see how it goes. Small scale then then try the dungeon push if it is successful.

I know you shouldn’t compare it to FPS’s or other games much, but you must in terms of what people hate etc. Some games you just hear everyone or mute all and hear no one. You need the option to mute individually if you want it to be successful. Otherwise you get 1 troll and comms goes dark for all.

I think the smart thing as to have to opt in off launch is good honestly. Otherwise you will have too many people that didn’t read or see the announcement freak out upon entering the match.

Also, your argument of having to press 3 buttons to have to opt out of being inconvenient is ludicrous. It can also be reversed by everyone that wants it on having to push 3 buttons to opt in. If you are that lazy……..Probably shouldn’t be playing a button mashing game.

(edited by Puppet.8139)

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Also, your argument of having to press 3 buttons to have to opt out of being inconvenient is ludicrous. It can also be reversed by everyone that wants it on having to push 3 buttons to opt in. If you are that lazy……..Probably shouldn’t be playing a button mashing game.

Oh I totally agree, I was responding to a previous quote about how its a QoL matter, that if you want to join in comms you need to press 1 button instead of 2. (using already available voice comm options)

That argument, either side, doesn’t really hold up at all…which is kind of why I made it :P

recognize my command!”

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

I agree pdavis that this should be optional.
Teutos.8620 posted a concern about this on the first page that I replied to .

I agree with you, it shouldn’t be forced on anyone. It should be given as an optional tool at their disposal should they want to with the ability to mute/ report anyone who abuses it.

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

This is something I’ve been bringing up recently in my streams. I don’t even think it’s a mater of if it should be put into the game. With how the game is played, we absolutely need a faster and better way to communicate with team mates, the best way being a VoIP system. If there was better PvP API Curse Voice or another third party program could easily step in and do this.

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

in PvP

DeWolfe.2174

Players may not understand what you mean by a ping.

Too true! Pings can be useful but, confusing. Especially when the mini map is lighting up with multiple pings.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Absolutely not. Not only does voip carry known privacy and security issues it would be another accessory to create lag and bugs.

I don’t think this is a good idea at all.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Mak.2657

Absolutely not. Not only does voip carry known privacy and security issues it would be another accessory to create lag and bugs.

I don’t think this is a good idea at all.

:D

Seems many ppl read only 1st post as usual. Lag?..

(edited by Mak.2657)

in PvP

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

+1 ingame VoIP, provided it does not lag the game. if it does, kitten it…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in PvP

OIIIIIO.7825

Not only does voip carry known privacy and security issues

Could you be more specific with your reply.
I understand you are’t in favor of VOIP, but I am having trouble following your reasoning why.

Are you saying you are worried someone will find out who/where you are if VOIP were to be implemented into the game?
Also are you saying that VOIP is known for having privacy/security issues?

(edited by OIIIIIO.7825)

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

VOIP is known to be easily monitored by a third party. A certain free VOIP provider that rhymes with snipe is infamous for the practice of allowing governments to listen in. I have some personal experience with this issue and the former Thai government.

The technology is untrustworthy and is known to be monitored by third parties. I definitely would not like to see it in game on principal.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

Posted by: XGhoul.7426

XGhoul.7426

Anet promised some type of VOIP to replace teamspeak/mumble/skype prob 2 yrs ago (no joke) to include in game commands to make people rotate/help or other commands that would ease team rotations without the need of a voip, unfortunately that main pvp dev left the pvp team now, so who knows where this (3yr old) idea left off in.

edit: people can defend this point, the dev team is small, but you really don’t have to suffer through this slow pain. (even if you break 300 views on twitch)

rip 2012/ 2013 Anet did not deliver proper promises

(edited by XGhoul.7426)

in PvP

Posted by: xandi.4765

xandi.4765

I really would like to see VOIP inagme too +1. It would enchance competetive gameplay and makes fighting premades a bit easier when you pug. But i doubt anet will implement it anytime soon in pvp. We dont even have a good leaderboard, so i dont think they will do anything about it.

in PvP

Dahkeus.8243

Funny how often people confuse what devs say they would like to do and what they “promise”.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

It would be incrediblofabulously cool. I would love to chat with the people I play with! I doubt that half the people solo queuing would really use it, but for those who would, it could seriously increase the average skill level in soloq.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

VOIP is known to be easily monitored by a third party. A certain free VOIP provider that rhymes with snipe is infamous for the practice of allowing governments to listen in. I have some personal experience with this issue and the former Thai government.

The technology is untrustworthy and is known to be monitored by third parties. I definitely would not like to see it in game on principal.

Well, no one would force you to use it. I personally would have no problem with the Thai government knowing I suck at the game.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Well, no one would force you to use it. I personally would have no problem with the Thai government knowing I suck at the game.

I can somewhat agree with that sentiment, but its the principle of the matter. Governments have no business monitoring its citizens. But thats a completly different discussion that really shouldn’t be had here.

In any case, security is a concern. If such things can easily be monitored, how much information can one obtain for malicious purposes? Of course when using the internet in general security is always a concern. Although I am confident enough in my own personal computer protection, and Anets efforts to protect their game, it shouldn’t be a major deciding factor, but certainly needs to be addressed by Anet if considering such a thing.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: Leadfoot.9071

Leadfoot.9071

I can somewhat agree with that sentiment, but its the principle of the matter. Governments have no business monitoring its citizens. But thats a completly different discussion that really shouldn’t be had here.

In any case, security is a concern. If such things can easily be monitored, how much information can one obtain for malicious purposes? Of course when using the internet in general security is always a concern. Although I am confident enough in my own personal computer protection, and Anets efforts to protect their game, it shouldn’t be a major deciding factor, but certainly needs to be addressed by Anet if considering such a thing.

I think your arguments against in-game VOIP are valid but easily obviated by a simple global disable option in the options menu (and probably have it disabled by default). Also, I think your arguments advocating for use of third party solutions is misguided due to underestimation of the laziness of your common gamer. I for one, would not want to go out of my way to download third party VOIP apps to do in-game comms with random people that I play with – maybe because I’m a somewhat casual solo player. But as a somewhat casual solo player I think it would greatly improve my experience to have the option to enabled in-game VOIP by simply going to the Options menu and turning it on. The other problem with 3rd party is that there are more than one so you might have to download and install several and still not be on the same one as the rest of your team.

I honestly just think the pros way outweigh the cons so…

+1 for in-game VOIP!

in PvP

tronjeremy.5820

Some awesome notes. And as far as I can see I really don’t see an argument against it. Most competitive games have this option. I’d like to keep this convo going until we hear a dev chime in.

in PvP

pdavis.8031

Dev response:
This is something we may like to look at doing at some point in the future, but is not something we are working at on this time. That is to say, it’s not off the table.

recognize my command!”

in PvP

Posted by: BLUna.7928

BLUna.7928

I’ve opened this up for discussion over on AspectGG’s forum as well :3

http://forums.aspect.gg/t/thoughts-on-better-ways-for-in-game-communication/144

Retired GW2 Shoutcaster
Now Casting CS:GO with ESEA
Twitter: @BLUCSGO

in PvP

tronjeremy.5820

I’ve opened this up for discussion over on AspectGG’s forum as well

http://forums.aspect.gg/t/thoughts-on-better-ways-for-in-game-communication/144

Thanks Blu. Definitely needs more attention and maybe someone out there could connect ANET with an existing VOIP client to make a plugin or something.

in PvP

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

While I can see the benefit of having in-game voip (better communication), I can also see plenty of negatives:

- Players abusing it and making it unpleasant for others.
- Potential lag issues.
- Additional cost to, and required maintenance by, Anet.
- The potential risk of parties kicking anyone who is unable to utilize the in-game voip.

The only part of the game I feel in-game voip would be really beneficial is in WvW. In PvP and PvE I do not think it would be important enough to counter the negatives.

If they added an in-game voip for WvW only, that I could get behind.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in PvP

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

Yes please. Explaining simple rotation and focus concepts to pubbies WHILE trying to fight people using text chat that they’re probably not going to read anyway really kittening does my head in

The only arguement against is from the thin skinned hugbox crowd complaining about abusive players. There’s already a solution to this, it’s called reporting and muting.

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

If Anet can add it without it impacting latency to others and providing options to block/mute idiots, I would be totally ok with in game voip. I just don’t see it happening any time soon, or at all.

Happy to be proved wrong though.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

this will bring soloq raging to a next level

in PvP

tronjeremy.5820

Actually raging will always happen. What it will do is allow for better communication and better matches overall. Even with raging/trolling actual strategy will come across instead of 5 newbs running around mindlessly.

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

Ever played TF2? Imagine all the squeakers x.×. No thanks.

in PvP

Posted by: Dei Veien.2456

Dei Veien.2456

I do not think that this is a good idea.

I know that I often play with French people and yet I do not speak a lick of French. People that play on EU servers have a chance of being in teams where they are unable to communicate which just makes things difficult as is.
That and I know I love that I can verbally rage at my computer without any one hearing me when I soloq. It is a frustrating experience most of the time especially when you end up in the unbalanced team. I don;t want to add voice comms into that mix where every one is just waiting to take a bite out of your head.

Order of Intoxication [PSY]

in PvP

tronjeremy.5820

Does everyone not understand that you can mute if you want to?

Benefit outweighs the costs.

in PvP

Mak.2657

Does everyone not understand that you can mute if you want to?

Benefit outweighs the costs.

Seems not
Built-in voice chat helps to shorten gap between pugs and premades and could lead to better team forming.

And you always can SWITCH IT OFF.