Is anyone having trouble getting past ruby?

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Hey guys, so getting to Ruby really was no problem on average an 80% win rate. Ruby however is a nightmare, cant seem to get past 1 pip into tier 3. I’ll win 4 or 5 in a row then go on a losing streak, then a win streak and stop at tier 3.

I’m not going to be blaming the matchmaking because I dont think it is nearly as bad as people make it seem. I dont think its a problem with the way I play the class (Revenant) either but probably rotation issues.

Since it is solo q with no chat, most times i feel like im going around blind and wondering what the situation is around the map

Is there anyone else with this problem. Also if anyone else in NA is having trouble in ruby and is good at rotations would be appreciated if we could party up and use voice chat.

(edited by Ragion.2831)

in PvP

Posted by: Urejt.5648

Urejt.5648

ye, it seems glicko rating is working so it’s like chess rating. Legend is harder to farm but still doable thx do win streak, which is cool. If u dont increase your skill or play with full premade u ll stay in ruby.

i think last season there was not so many pleyrs who reached legend. This season there will be more thx to winstreak but there will be struggle becouse of the rating bug and glicko rating philosophy.

Yo Hooj Jest Pole

in PvP

Posted by: Rolisteel.1375

Rolisteel.1375

I stay in Ruby as that what the system allow me this season with the players i get via matchmaking. Don’t care much about Divisions anymore its a joke in this game also most matches are not fun. Some Legend players are so easy kills 1v1 thats when you notice how bad and unfair the matchmaking system is. Really the question is i kill Legendary players and Diamond players and only Ruby division what i deserve? do not make me laugh. its simply joke. Had to make a f2p acc and play core necro to have some fun again as it seems like getting better games atm its fun nothing feels better than beating reapers 1v1 with core necro.

in PvP

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

What exactly is wrong with the match making system?

in PvP

Posted by: Nada.8214

Nada.8214

Yeah. I’ve literally been stuck Ruby 4-5 for a few weeks now because I’ve hit a wall where I’m win-lose-win-lose-win-win-lose-lose loop that I can’t get out of. It’s incredibly annoying and I feel like I can’t progress. They’re not even close matches either so it’s not fun.

Not to mention because of the meta and the losses I just end up having a huge amount of frustration. It’s just not worth playing and I’m actually thinking about calling it quits until the meta and the way Anet is handling MMR shifts.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

For me. It put me in team where players terrible at everything. 1v1, teamfights, team support.

Something should be done to stop put good players in a group with useless players.

Maybe a fast pre 1v1 season before normal season. to decide who which division belongs to. This way experienced players don’t have to suffer can’t get out of Ruby because players that can get Ruby 1v1 im sure it have to take about mid/mid high pvp skill at the start of the 1v1 season. After 1v1 season end you stay in division what you deserved by your 1v1 perfomance and you continue the progress from there with the better players that also deserved their division by their 1v1 perfomance. Or something like this. Just fix put me in group with people that bad at everything thats all i care about

(edited by Rolisteel.1375)

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

dw, diamond is just as bad xD

lopsided matches all over, you either faceroll or lose really badly

Attachments:

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Thats really bad it means the game is not fun. As i said somewhere before. Winning is good, some people only care about win and stomp zerg the enemy hard and happy with that. Im not person like that. I want good, hard games, good fights, with teamplay in the game. not something like what happens usually my teammates dies in 3sec at mid
Don’t care if win or lose. Ofc i do everything to win

in PvP

Posted by: Moghedien.7264

Moghedien.7264

Sure. Last season it took me about 100 games to cross to Diamond.
This season I’m at 100 and floating between 0 and 13 pips so far, currently bouncing between 4-8.

Last season, the pip distribution awarded progress for a 50% win rate (0 pip losses and 1 pip losses). This season a 50% win rate won’t get you progress unless you get streaks.

A mid ruby stoploss would help get more players to diamond or legendary, if that is a desired goal.

I actually don’t mind it. A lot of my games are really good (had a 498-500 loss tonight with good play by both teams, and lots of games in forest coming down to who gets the last beasts).

Some games are lopsided. It’s much easier for me to win at the low end of ruby, when high sapphire or 0 pip rubies are in the mix. It’s much harder midway through ruby when all players are moving through ruby.

All solo q. Would probably be easier to duo or trio at mid ruby with the meta, as bad comp matches against the meta or playing against teams comfortable switching classes seems to be the edge that players making it through ruby seem to be doing.

in PvP

Posted by: Snowywonders.1378

Snowywonders.1378

Why do people assume you’re supposed to advance if you play enough? It’s about whether you’re good enough or not. If you’re still in ruby after a few weeks it’s because you belong there. Amber, emerald, and sapphire are all trash divisions in that you will progress through them if you play enough. Ruby is the first actual barrier that starts to seperate the not too good and the not too bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Engel.6029

Engel.6029

Why do people assume you’re supposed to advance if you play enough? It’s about whether you’re good enough or not. If you’re still in ruby after a few weeks it’s because you belong there. Amber, emerald, and sapphire are all trash divisions in that you will progress through them if you play enough. Ruby is the first actual barrier that starts to seperate the not too good and the not too bad.

Not with how match making is set up.

in PvP

Posted by: Dwayne.6904

Dwayne.6904

not true there r great players and pre legendary players who r stuck in ruby and everyone agrees solo que with ruby is pain too many bad players can achiev ruby to ruin good players games

in PvP

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

We definitely need an arena of 1v1 and 2v2 unranked and ranked matches, or at least unranked for now.

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

Am at last tier in ruby. Sapphire was a lot harder for me. Got matched up with braindead people 99% of the time. I seem to be losing only to voip premades. At this point im considering investing into teamspeak server so I can voip too.

in PvP

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Am at last tier in ruby. Sapphire was a lot harder for me. Got matched up with braindead people 99% of the time.

I’m also on last tier ruby and hate blaming team mates for losses but sometimes, dear god.

Just had a match and we were losing and noticed the Warrior in our team kept going down so I asked him to swap and hold close (somehow I ended up holding close despite being the S&R Druid, noone else defended it the whole time) and I got ignored. Then I noticed the Mesmer kept dying and the rest of the team raging at him so I asked him to swap with me so we can change it up and bring the match back and his response was “That’s not my job” and when we lost he said “l2Rotate noobs”.

Bit of a rant, but I’m annoyed by the stubborn nature of some players sometimes. It’s a team game, adapt and play around your team. Don’t tell people that defending isn’t your job or that it’s pointless to keep playing, comebacks are always a possibility.

That said, running into people like that is fairly rare for me and I’m pretty kitten happy with how the majority of people I get paired with act.

Tl;dr Some players need to drop their ego and play for the team and/or stop giving up mid match.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in PvP

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I broke into Ruby over the weekend (think it was early Saturday), and lost every game since. My “give a kitten” is apparently finally broken because I don’t think I care anymore. It doesn’t matter how well I play, I just can’t apparently carry hard enough, so I’ve pretty much stopped trying.

At this point im considering investing into teamspeak server so I can voip too.

Just get Discord. Free with same or better voice quality.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

in PvP

Posted by: Jourdelune.7456

Jourdelune.7456

Why do people assume you’re supposed to advance if you play enough?

Because the ranking system advanced you through wins with PIPS.

Not because you beat a better rank team than yours.

This is a grinding ranking system, where if you spam enough wins you are a “Legendary” players.

Any no life guy can achieve that over 8 weeks.

Dal Aï Lhama (Tempest), Dal Lahu Akbar (DH), Lord Dhal of Dharma (Scrapper) 12k+ spvp games.
Former Team Captain of ggwp (ESL weekly), GLHF (AG), MIST[CORE] spvp alliance guild.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

in PvP

Posted by: Shylock.4653

Shylock.4653

Leagues are not a reward track. Not everyone is entitled to progress past ruby.

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ya know… people keep saying this; however, the way Anet set it up contradicts this statement…

in PvP

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Except they kind of are. Like someone said above, you progress by earning pips, not beating good teams.

With luck or time you can progress through it all and get just as far as someone playing with a skilled team.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

you are right partialy. as all ppl will get eventually to ruby thus also bad player will play there and infulent good player. lets say i took 1 week vacation and now all the bad ppl in ruby and i really belong to diamond . i will get stuck in ruby cause of statistic party with more bad ppl.

in PvP

Shylock.4653

Ya know… people keep saying this; however, the way Anet set it up contradicts this statement…

I know that it’s easier to gain pips then to lose them, but this thread is full of people complaining that they can’t progress past ruby. So I wanted to make clear that it isn’t the goal for a league system to have everyone entering top league.

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I know that it’s easier to gain pips then to lose them, but this thread is full of people complaining that they can’t progress past ruby. So I wanted to make clear that it isn’t the goal for a league system to have everyone entering top league.

Regardless, without the ability to backslide into a lower division, a glorified reward track is what this remains. As such, making legendary is going to be a goal for many, if not a majority of players. All it takes is time and determination…and some matchmaking luck with this current system.

in PvP

Shylock.4653

Regardless, without the ability to backslide into a lower division, a glorified reward track is what this remains. As such, making legendary is going to be a goal for many, if not a majority of players. All it takes is time and determination…and some matchmaking luck with this current system.

That’s the reason why we should get rid of that bad designed league system.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Your-Top-5-Suggestions-to-ANET-sPvP/first#post6032969

in PvP

LanfearShadowflame.3189

That’s the reason why we should get rid of that bad designed league system.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Your-Top-5-Suggestions-to-ANET-sPvP/first#post6032969

I’ve browsed that. I only agree with some of the suggestions personally.

in PvP

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

you are right partialy. as all ppl will get eventually to ruby thus also bad player will play there and infulent good player. lets say i took 1 week vacation and now all the bad ppl in ruby and i really belong to diamond . i will get stuck in ruby cause of statistic party with more bad ppl.

Nah. You see, 5 bad players vs 4 bad players and one good player means statistically you’ll advance, if in fact you are a good player as you say.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

in PvP

Posted by: Konoha.4613

Konoha.4613

Nope ruby was remarkably easy, I passed it in one sitting while outrageously drunk.

in PvP

Posted by: Anomaly.7612

Anomaly.7612

This game is more about team comps and rotating properly than actually being a more mechanically skilled player. That’s it.

in PvP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Nope ruby was remarkably easy, I passed it in one sitting while outrageously drunk.

When did you do that? I’m thinking that you did it before all of the non-PvPers and casual players got to it so you were playing with people that knew what they were doing.

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

For me. It put me in team where players terrible at everything. 1v1, teamfights, team support.

Something should be done to stop put good players in a group with useless players.

Maybe a fast pre 1v1 season before normal season. to decide who which division belongs to. This way experienced players don’t have to suffer can’t get out of Ruby because players that can get Ruby 1v1 im sure it have to take about mid/mid high pvp skill at the start of the 1v1 season. After 1v1 season end you stay in division what you deserved by your 1v1 perfomance and you continue the progress from there with the better players that also deserved their division by their 1v1 perfomance. Or something like this. Just fix put me in group with people that bad at everything thats all i care about

Personal skill, although important, doesn’t mean much in team-based modes where kills are not the primary means to win. So unless you’re playing in a deathmatch mode, you’re better off focusing on objectives that generate a win such as capping and holding points for conquest.

Just because you can kill players who have reached legendary status doesn’t mean much. You may be better 1v1 against them but they play better at working as a team than you. I say this based on your emphasis on 1v1 in your post.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

People that good in 1v1 usually cause the most pressure to enemy team at teamfights. Which means they are also better at teamfighting. Imo peoples that good in 1v1 are the most dangerous teamfighters. You have to be able to kill otherwise you don’t capture point

Top premade players all of them good at 1v1 thats why they strong as a team.

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

People that good in 1v1 usually cause the most pressure to enemy team at teamfights. Which means they are also better at teamfighting. Imo peoples that good in 1v1 are the most dangerous teamfighters. You have to be able to kill otherwise you don’t capture point

Top premade players all of them good at 1v1 thats why they strong as a team.

Not really. There’s more to it than just being good at 1v1. You can have an entire team that is good at 1v1 but get outplayed by a team that isn’t simply because that team actually worked together and did the mechanics of the PvP mode (e.g. Conquest). Don’t get me wrong, being good at 1v1 is pretty important but it is not the only thing that determines skill level as you seem to make it out to be.

Also, the part I bolded is contradictory.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Its not the only thing but i dont know a people that good at 1v1 and not good at other things too. They usually all know how to play the game :p

in PvP

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

i had a winning streak in ruby and then finally lost it…..in match that is lopsided, heck, ruby still plays amber, fighting randomly around the map

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in PvP

Posted by: Amineo.8951

Amineo.8951

Stuck in a win-lose-lose loop, funny enough, I’ll eventually get past it this week-end, because it happened to me in all divisions since the beggining…

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Got Diamond solo btw. had to work hard for it. had to carry people every match. i said tactic too in map chat while carry them. They listened to me so i got a winstreak from Ruby to Dia. All matches was pain so i decided to be full carry + pvp tactic guy, when what to do babysitter, killer machine, in one and my win rate dramatically increased when they listen to me

This is the results atm with Diamond guys.

Attachments:

in PvP

Ayrilana.1396

Against a pre-made of 4 players. Was still close but I suggest everyone just group with people that they know and do pre-mades. You’d probably be more likely to win against a team of randoms.

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Due to tier lock-ins, Ruby is a cesspit of players carried up there mixed with some very good players. Most matches in Ruby are blowouts, but you get enough bad draws on teams that have no choice that it takes a long time to get through.

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

The system seems to think that I should carry fresh ruby players into diamond.
Five matches in a row I got some ruby 1 guys and some sapphire, mostly necros, that never really had to play their class before or just don’t know how to. That’s pretty fun, if you are a ranger (not druid) – NOT!

5 loss in a row, thans Anet!

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in PvP

Posted by: shagwell.1349

shagwell.1349

Then I noticed the Mesmer kept dying and the rest of the team raging at him so I asked him to swap with me so we can change it up and bring the match back and his response was “That’s not my job” and when we lost he said “l2Rotate noobs”.

He is pretty much right by saying this. He can’t defend as a shatter mesmer. His only chance of being useful is creating unfair fights for your team. If you sit at home node and the rest of your team is zerging and losing at another base, the mesmer is basically useless, because his gameplay depends heavily on rotating and bursting down the one guy defending a node.

Sure, I can understand you want him to defend, because it’s not your job either, but it wouldn’t have decided your match. The best solution (imho) would have been to team up with the mesmer and go tap nodes by creating a 2v1 and portal over the map.
Your matchup and most of your team was bad, but the mesmer was right about his role – not necessarily in that particular situation.

[orz] below mediocre – we sponsor Arenanet
Piken Square EU, maybe soon on your server.

in PvP

Posted by: Slazz.8620

Slazz.8620

Well I was on my last win for diamond 4 times today, lost them all and ended the night back at bottom of tier 6. Fun times.

in PvP

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

Nah. You see, 5 bad players vs 4 bad players and one good player means statistically you’ll advance, if in fact you are a good player as you say.

yes but the problem also in matchmaking
yesterday i had a thief clamming to be good. we ask him to decap far if empty. what he did? he rush far fight against engi while we had 4v3 on mid . he died and back to far again. so its not that all the party member are bad . it takes 1 bad to ruin all the rotations. in fact i had 2 losses with him so i took 5 min break than 2 win without him. than i played with diamond friend and he pop up again so we lost again. its like the system want me to stay at ruby . and after without him we won versus 4 diamond group ppl. when the thief play everyone ask him to stop and +1 . what he did. he went to help and ele in 1v2 while the ele was in full hp instead coming to us in 2v2 on far…
so basically it means average or good players must carry bad players without communicate so just follow them and dont let them died with bad decisions.

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

People are somehow not mentioning the elephant in the room here.

People who progress division quickly play in coordinated team comps on voice chat. When you solo que you are gambling. Some days you may land in many teams where players are playing the right classes and they are on their mains. Some days you may get unlucky and land in many teams with warriors & thieves who are players just trying to gain achievements. Solo que is a gamble and the MMR system is designed to keep you at a 50/50 win rate.

If you want strong pip progression past late ruby/early diamond, join a team, form a proper team comp and start using voice chat.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

People are somehow not mentioning the elephant in the room here.

People who progress division quickly play in coordinated team comps on voice chat. When you solo que you are gambling. Some days you may land in many teams where players are playing the right classes and they are on their mains. Some days you may get unlucky and land in many teams with warriors & thieves who are players just trying to gain achievements. Solo que is a gamble and the MMR system is designed to keep you at a 50/50 win rate.

If you want strong pip progression past late ruby/early diamond, join a team, form a proper team comp and start using voice chat.

Kinda makes me sad reading this. But only because it’s so much true.

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

I think avarage players can’t carry bad players. Avarage is just a bit better than bad. It’s not enough to be avarage.

in PvP

Posted by: TPMN.1483

TPMN.1483

Just solo Q INto diamond – the last match was hell:
2 war, 2 thief, 1 nec. (Our team) on forest vs
2 nec, Ele, eng, guard

We won 500v499- after throwing every rule out of the book stealing every animal (bar 1)- our team couldn’t hold points due to team make up. Matches like this with good comps vs stupid comps should not be happening – but they do and people refuse to reroll. We would have won easily if people were on a different class make up.
This bring back the point of class stacking should be banned by the matchmaking and enforce tourney rules of max 1/clAss.

We would have more balanced match ups and be able to calculate MMR better at an account and profession level.

[MYTH] The Mythical Dragons -PvX http://mythdragons.enjin.com

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

I getting games without support too. Winning games like that means you did good job. Score doesn’t matter only thing that you win game without support thats it

in PvP

Posted by: Konoha.4613

Konoha.4613

When did you do that? I’m thinking that you did it before all of the non-PvPers and casual players got to it so you were playing with people that knew what they were doing.

2 days ago. Nope I just know how to play, I did it on thief too. I know how to carry a game, winning 12 in a row is not “lucking out on teammates”. They are your standard ruby players you are complaining about today.

in PvP

Posted by: LordKage.9135

LordKage.9135

I was able to soloQ to legendary on 2 accounts but I will admit the first 1-2 tiers in Ruby was the hardest thing I had to do. The problem I think that is happening is the bad players are getting lucky streaks and somehow getting to ruby. The solution is allow all division except for amber to lose tiers / divisions. That will solve the problem and reflect where people truly belong.

I understand everyone wants the backpack skin. Let’s just make the tickets bound to Season 1 – 4 achievements and remove division crossing.

Try Tô Kill Me // Engineer/Warrior/Revenant

(edited by LordKage.9135)

in PvP

Rolisteel.1375

Losing tiers/divisions don’t solve anything and also not show where people truly belong. You get an unlucky day/days where you get bot like teammates that you can’t lead to win and you lose Legendary div because you got an unlucky day/matchmaking curse, getting matched with bots and ragekids early game? It could work best if the system was premade vs premade league. but the league is a mix of solo and premade players. That would make premade gaming even more OP vs soloers than its already now in the mixed league