It has to be said: THANK YOU Helseth!

in PvP

Posted by: Jasher.6580

Jasher.6580

If anyone has missed it check out: 01:40:00 in the video
-
http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/v/10028208
-
Now anyone who knows me knows that I am a HUGE fan of The Abjured. That will not change. Nevertheless, I’ve noticed something that has plagued our PvP community.

Lack of DRAMA.

Everyone is too nice to their opponents. Too respectful.

This is NOT good.

I remember having a discussion a few nights ago with Kensuda. I was originally a huge fan of Good Fights when they were active, but there was one thing that really kittened me off about them… they were too humble.

On a number of occasions they would say that EU teams were better than them.

Seriously? Why would you do that?

You are the champions of the underdogs, you represent us as a region. You agree with our rivals who constantly rub it in our faces that they are better than us?

Even if it is true, you can’t do that. Being “nice” KILLS the competitive air.

“Hey even your best team says that we are better than them. LOL”

And being politically correct and saying, “Hey we are all good, anyone can win. Let’s hug” is BORING.

What Helseth did in that video was genius and awesome. I want The Abjured to completely destroy him BUT I want to give him a hug for sparking that fire and giving us some drama to look forward to.

I posted this a while back but I will repost it below:

There is nothing people fancy more than hostility shared between good players. Having said that, it doesn’t matter what sport it is, or on what level; a rivalry infuses “oomph” into the game. This is exactly what competing is all about, and what Guild Wars 2 eSports was missing.

Some rivalries are small but others are literally larger than life and transcend beyond the genre. Those are the ones that fans love the most. These rivalries involve more than just superiority, but clutch factor, grit and perseverance as well. These are the ones that we all know regardless of age or even knowledge of the game in general.

Rivalries are a logical extension of any “eSport”. When you train for days to become the best at a particular event, you are bound to run into opposition. That opposition can take many forms.

It may be an ill-timed decision, bad leadership or horrible strategy. But many times that opposition has a name and a face. It is the group of players standing on the other side of the map planning to ruin your best efforts.

When you take that kind of opposition and drop it into a microcosm of various circumstances, a rivalry is born. They can spring up just about anywhere.

That type of anger is placed in a special subsection of any good “eSport”. Tournaments are cool and all, but the “rivalry match” is circled on the calendar with black ink.
You don’t miss these things for anything in the world.

Rivalries are what make “eSports” transcend from mediocre to great. That is what will fill up the streams to capacity. People want to see an epic battle of two teams who hate each other.

People think they want good sportsmanship and smiles and hugs after a match… not true. I for one welcome the angst.

Trust me on this, bitter rivalries in eSports is a very good thing for this game.

(edited by Jasher.6580)

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

Well, I believe this is very subjective. I do think that some banter between the teams can be fun and is totally fine, however I do not think that being hostile to each other is the way to go and something I would enjoy to see.

I really think that good sportmanship is needed in every game, I for one really respect players who are able to play fair even if it means they could lose some important game. Frankly, I respect them more than players who will do everything it takes to win.

Some people are just humble and many will like it that way. You cannot really ask people to change themselves just to create some drama that will please someone. I do not think all drama is bad, but having the pvp scene filled with nothing but drama is not great for the game.

As I said this is very subjective and every person prefers something different.

(Also, I’m not sure if you’re just trolling.)
((Some people tend to troll about everything.))

in PvP

Jasher.6580

-snip-

Not trolling. Drama is what made a Muhammed Ali and Mike Tyson fight more entertaining to watch than a Mikey Ward or a Floyd Patterson fight.

The story.

The drama.

The rift between fans.

in PvP

Posted by: Bearsus.1302

Bearsus.1302

People want to see an epic battle of two teams who hate each other.

I for one don’t think that’s true at all. Good sportsmanship is what, imho, people want to see. Obviously some banter here and there isn’t bad, as long as it’s in good taste. There’s plenty other games where the pvp community is so toxic it’s frightening for a new player to jump into, because no one starts a pro, and they’ll just get a very toxic welcome.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

More people will watch the fight with the loudmouth who starts fights. They either want to see him get what’s coming to him, or they are cheering for him.

Only a handful of purists will want to watch two good guys with no “beef” engage in combat.

When drama is involved, even people who know absolutely nothing about the event will be inclined to watch ESPECIALLY if they were made privy to the prior feud.

Drama will attract more people and make things more entertaining.

Why do you think the Pacquiao and Mayweather fight was the biggest fight in history?

It’s not because Mayweather’s fights are fun to watch. Everyone knows his fights are boring… but the drama, the history, the story, the rivalries between fans.

Drama. Drama sold that fight.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

People who play sports threw there computer dont understand. When you play a sport you have to fight at each level for minutes and plays called for you. After fighting your team mates in practice and proving who is better. You play against people and then you see all those people from the 6th grade and up. If your fortunate enough to make it to college it gets even more intense.

People here wouldnt understand if these guys said they were the best players at there classes. Many people come on this forum and talk about how unfair certain things are but then these players at these big tourneys do it with there classes and there builds.

People who buy this game want to be competitive with any build they put out there without putting the time in or understanding of how there ability/build/rotation works with in the team concept. These guys are being nice cause this is the Guild Wars community. A bit soft and dont like hearing anything towards another person or team.

If you ever play against elite people there silent vs people who arent at that level. When you play someone at the same level as you and your the cream of the crop, trash talking is what is suppose to happen. You call people nick names such as tin man or forrest. For the guild wars community its trolling but to me its the best players competing against one another and calling each other out which would only enhance there level of play.

Lastly anet can we increase this tourney to the top 8 teams. Would like to see the top 10 players from each region at least. Would of loved to see the tcg at boston and 3 of the other best teams world wide. Also no double elimination, this is the wts best out of 3 and there out.

in PvP

Bearsus.1302

But comparing a video game’s PvP to boxing is apples and oranges. Honestly I think it’d look pretty ridiculous if some GW2 PvP competitors gave each other the death glare before a match.

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

It’s funny to see people get so rustled by Helseth whether it be on his stream or in the tournaments. I definitely don’t think it’s a bad thing for the scene to have rivalries or some trash talk. When it crosses the line it’s when tournament players start throwing serious insults at each other in twitch chats, which has happened before in NA, but so far everything I’ve seen relating to the WTS has been fine.

Ranger//Necro

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Honestly I think it’d look pretty ridiculous if some GW2 PvP competitors gave each other the death glare before a match.

Why? I think that would be awesome actually.

in PvP

Bearsus.1302

Honestly I think it’d look pretty ridiculous if some GW2 PvP competitors gave each other the death glare before a match.

Why? I think that would be awesome actually.

Cause then I’d like to see them go down in a fist fight rather than go click kitten their mouses and keyboards at each other. lol idk, just my opinion I guess :P

I’m all over the idea of bantering or proving that you’re the better player as was said above, but unnecessary hate especially from fan to fan, I think that’s just well… unnecessary. Maybe I just don’t get why there has to be so even more hate in this already hate-filled world. Edit2: Just to add, considering video games for many is a way to kinda escape the reality. Or just chill and relax after work. But obviously this prolly isnt the case for the competitors, because to be that good you gotta make it at least a very very dedicated hobby.

EDIT: lawl, didn’t know h ard would get censored

(edited by Bearsus.1302)

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

More people will watch the fight with the loudmouth who starts fights. They either want to see him get what’s coming to him, or they are cheering for him.

Only a handful of purists will want to watch two good guys with no “beef” engage in combat.

When drama is involved, even people who know absolutely nothing about the event will be inclined to watch ESPECIALLY if they were made privy to the prior feud.

Why do you think the Pacquiao and Mayweather fight was the biggest fight in history?

It’s not because Mayweather’s fights are fun to watch. Everyone knows his fights are boring… but the drama, the history, the story, the rivalries between fans.

LOL disagree, people wanted to see that fight since pac-man was the best in the game knocking out everyone. floyd,Pauly magglieto among others said manny had to be juicing since he was crushing the best boxers in the world. People watched that fight since it was the 2 best boxers in the world. (If you consider floyd a boxer) People wanted to see the best pure and simple. Michel phelps, usain bolt, etc etc. You watch the best because there the best and when they claim they are the best. Thats what makes sports special, When the New York Knicks are screaming Mj gets all the foul calls and the reporter asks what MJ thinks about that and he responds “So”. It makes for special moments.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

LOL disagree, people wanted to see that fight since pac-man was the best in the game knocking out everyone. floyd,Pauly magglieto among others said manny had to be juicing since he was crushing the best boxers in the world. People watched that fight since it was the 2 best boxers in the world. (If you consider floyd a boxer) People wanted to see the best pure and simple. Michel phelps, usain bolt, etc etc. You watch the best because there the best and when they claim they are the best. Thats what makes sports special, When the New York Knicks are screaming Mj gets all the foul calls and the reporter asks what MJ thinks about that and he responds “So”. It makes for special moments.

Agree to disagree. If Mayweather wasn’t Mayweather nobody would want to watch any of his fights. No I don’t consider Floyd to be a boxer… lol.

You brought up basketball so I’ll use a basketball example.

When the Spurs were super dominant… nobody cared about the Spurs finals. Tim Duncan is a GREAT basketball player but he is boring.

Whenever the Spurs make it to the finals, the viewers drop. I remember the 2014 finals hit an all time lowest rating on record.

Tim Duncan is a nice guy, his team plays great basketball.

But…

-
I bet you though… if there was drama involved between the two teams, ratings would have soared.

(edited by Jasher.6580)

in PvP

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

Lel,

Looks like Gw2 eSport gonna become another LoL or Dota player mental level.

Hating, flaming, raging etc.

Doubt that such attention horing will help Gw2.

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeryn.9813

Aeryn.9813

<3 Phantaram

Fantaram – ele
I Hate Dumb Teams – nec

in PvP

Posted by: lighter.2708

lighter.2708

lol the last sentence on the front page video brings so much hype, that’s why people like helseth lol

in PvP

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Carebears are of course gonna disagree with you. What people don’t realize is that every esports scene needs players like helseth, those that stir up ‘drama’ and make the encounters more interesting. Majority of the players nowadays are 12-17 years old and they want to see that kinda stuff, whether you like it or not.

in PvP

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

Federer and Nadal are two of the politest sportsmen I’ve ever seen.

Their tennis rivalry was the most legendary ever.

So no…you do not need to have trashtalk to give the audience a great time. What you do inside the court (or match) matters – not out of it.

in PvP

Posted by: Fistandanthilus.6824

Fistandanthilus.6824

Maybe you guys love big mouths!!

I love when those big mouths are closed, like it just happened with Helseth in this WTS.

Helseth: Bla bla bla bla

Abjured: gg Helseth ty for comming and participating in the tournament, next time learn to eat your EGO and you maybe win.

rofl

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Maybe you guys love big mouths!!

I love when those big mouths are closed, like it just happened with Helseth in this WTS.

Helseth: Bla bla bla bla

Abjured: gg Helseth ty for comming and participating in the tournament, next time learn to eat your EGO and you maybe win.

rofl

Weather you like big mouths, or if you like big mouths being closed. That big mouth is what makes the match juicy to watch! Because you either want to see them win or you want to see them get owned.

A “good” bad guy takes a match zero-100 real quick.

in PvP

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

LMAO Why did they translate for Nocturn as he was able to speak in english??

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

The better question is why didn’t they have him speak in his own video…

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

Ark 2nd Account

in PvP

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

you’re not wrong that some drama is good.

Sports however is like politics, there’s some lines you just dont cross.
You can be classy and be like toker or helseth and just say your better, that’s fine. Being belligerent isn’t though and the moment that happens on stage expect someone from Anet to step in.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

you’re not wrong that some drama is good.

Sports however is like politics, there’s some lines you just dont cross.
You can be classy and be like toker or helseth and just say your better, that’s fine. Being belligerent isn’t though and the moment that happens on stage expect someone from Anet to step in.

Oh I agree 100%. There are lines that you do not cross.

in PvP

Velimere.7685

You gotta love it when a guy talks a lot of trash against two teams and then loses to both of them, though.

in PvP

Posted by: Laraley.7695

Laraley.7695

You gotta love it when a guy talks a lot of trash against two teams and then loses to both of them, though.

Ah, come on. It’s just a persona. He totally loves Nos, but trash talks him all the time.

in PvP

Posted by: Kraljevo.2801

Kraljevo.2801

Federer and Nadal are two of the politest sportsmen I’ve ever seen.

Their tennis rivalry was the most legendary ever.

So no…you do not need to have trashtalk to give the audience a great time. What you do inside the court (or match) matters – not out of it.

One does simply NOT compare a game with a 800 year old sport for gentlemen. Like, really mate?

Enough internet for today.

in PvP

Posted by: RevanCorana.8942

RevanCorana.8942

The better question is why didn’t they have him speak in his own video…

Ashamed of his accent? Anet racist?! Illuminati confirmed!!!

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Ah, come on. It’s just a persona. He totally loves Nos, but trash talks him all the time.

Yeah Helseth is a good guy. Again I’d like to give him a hug for hyping the tournament with that drama.

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

So he’s no longer Lord Helseth but Fairy King Helseth.

in PvP

kdaddy.5431

Agree to disagree. If Mayweather wasn’t Mayweather nobody would want to watch any of his fights. No I don’t consider Floyd to be a boxer… lol.

You brought up basketball so I’ll use a basketball example.

When the Spurs were super dominant… nobody cared about the Spurs finals. Tim Duncan is a GREAT basketball player but he is boring.

Whenever the Spurs make it to the finals, the viewers drop. I remember the 2014 finals hit an all time lowest rating on record.

Tim Duncan is a nice guy, his team plays great basketball.

But…

-
I bet you though… if there was drama involved between the two teams, ratings would have soared.

ummm this was a huge finals and people watched it. I think your talking 2007 when the spurs beat the cavs and anyone who watches basketball the NBA finals that year was the semi finals vs the suns.

Also id like to point out that tim duncan and manu dont get the credit that they should cause of the market they play in. WE are the market and back to the original point of the topic people dont want the best players in the game being arrogant. Im not saying i disagree with you cause actually im on your side but not for this.

Example i love some rap music since im 30 and i like that old school 80s rap but my parents hate it. If im doing something with them at like a bbq or dance i know there not gonna like that music. Same thing here, people call for nerfs because the players we just watched are so much better at it then we are. You play to the crowd you have and to be honest the majority of people who watched this are the same people who come to this forum to complain.

in PvP

Posted by: Ash ketchum.2051

Ash ketchum.2051

Yesterdaynight everyone went eating together. Before the tournament Nos and Helseth were laughing about that Nos should break Helseths arm. When we were eating suddenly they decided to armwrestle. Helseth won the first game. Than they did the same with their left hand. Nos litterly broke helseths arm. This seems pritty hostile to me.

spoilers:
Everything is on camera
Nos and Helseth are actually friends
Helseth will be fine after a few weeks

in PvP

Velimere.7685

Yesterdaynight everyone went eating together. Before the tournament Nos and Helseth were laughing about that Nos should break Helseths arm. When we were eating suddenly they decided to armwrestle. Helseth won the first game. Than they did the same with their left hand. Nos litterly broke helseths arm. This seems pritty hostile to me.

spoilers:
Everything is on camera

A broken arm doesn’t heal in a few weeks, and neither does a broken ego.

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

The only reason to insert drama into a gaming competition would be because the game’s pvp isn’t entertaining enough on its own and the skill required to play is low…… I guess Guild Wars 2 does need the drama after all. Try and keep that unskillful esports dream alive.

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Um…wat?

It’s not WWE. And I certainly don’t want to watch competitors who behave like couple MLG CoD kids.
Sponsors neither.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

The only reason to insert drama into a gaming competition would be because the game’s pvp isn’t entertaining enough on its own and the skill required to play is low…… I guess Guild Wars 2 does need the drama after all. Try and keep that unskillful esports dream alive.

But in esport most popular games doesn’t really need that much skill. Maybe GW2 is just too hard and nobody can’t play this game well enough.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Posted by: Chicho Gosho.6507

Chicho Gosho.6507

People who play sports threw there computer dont understand. When you play a sport you have to fight at each level for minutes and plays called for you. After fighting your team mates in practice and proving who is better. You play against people and then you see all those people from the 6th grade and up. If your fortunate enough to make it to college it gets even more intense.

People here wouldnt understand if these guys said they were the best players at there classes. Many people come on this forum and talk about how unfair certain things are but then these players at these big tourneys do it with there classes and there builds.

People who buy this game want to be competitive with any build they put out there without putting the time in or understanding of how there ability/build/rotation works with in the team concept. These guys are being nice cause this is the Guild Wars community. A bit soft and dont like hearing anything towards another person or team.

If you ever play against elite people there silent vs people who arent at that level. When you play someone at the same level as you and your the cream of the crop, trash talking is what is suppose to happen. You call people nick names such as tin man or forrest. For the guild wars community its trolling but to me its the best players competing against one another and calling each other out which would only enhance there level of play.

Lastly anet can we increase this tourney to the top 8 teams. Would like to see the top 10 players from each region at least. Would of loved to see the tcg at boston and 3 of the other best teams world wide. Also no double elimination, this is the wts best out of 3 and there out.

I’ve practiced a sport more than 10 years, went to many international competitions, have many medals from regional ones. What you said is complete bull…t.
It’s not what players say its what they do that attracts people. You can have the loudest mouth but if you don’t have the skills nobody would care for you.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

I’ve practiced a sport more than 10 years, went to many international competitions, have many medals from regional ones. What you said is complete bull…t.
It’s not what players say its what they do that attracts people. You can have the loudest mouth but if you don’t have the skills nobody would care for you.

Did you know that “statistically” Muhammad Ali isn’t the best boxer of all time? Do you want to know why people consider him to be the greatest of all time?

-

How many viewers and fans do you have with all your regional and international medals?

(edited by Jasher.6580)

in PvP

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

But in esport most popular games doesn’t really need that much skill. Maybe GW2 is just too hard and nobody can’t play this game well enough.

Guild Wars 2 is a very easy game to play/reach the skill cap on all professions without really having to devote much time. I don’t believe the game is too hard for people because the bar is set pretty dang low.

Some of the popular esport games are fairly easy to get into and require hardly any skill (LoL for example) but others are impossible for average players in both realms (Starcraft 2).

in PvP

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Jasher, he may not have been statistically the best boxer of all time however he was pretty kitten good and is unquestionably one of the best boxers of all time. Ali backed up his smack talk by winning and being very good as well as the drama.

Let’s not deminsih what one person has achieved in the face of extreme competition either, there is no need for that kind of personal attack.

in PvP

Jasher.6580

-snip-

Yes one of. But we will all say he is the best because of his personality.

What I asked was not an attack. The fact that he was successful and won a lot of trophies actually serves to bolster my original point.

You can be talented and accomplish a lot in an arena yet still not attract viewers and fame.

If you had a sport which was void of drama you will only attract enthusiasts of that sport. Maybe a few family members and close friends. For something to become larger than life you need something more than talent and sportsmanship.

in PvP

apharma.3741

Well, I think you chose a bad example to be honest. Sure he may have got more attention but he was also very good at boxing and held championship belts and fights which a lot of people would watch even without the smack talk.

A lot of people I know, myself included, wouldn’t watch a sport they had no interest in regardless of someone’s character or drama. They’d just shrug and say, not my kinda sport.

I mean there’s hardly a ton of drama in football (soccer for the less educated) but the championship and finals are watched by millions if not billions.

Another great example are the Olympics, certain events are watched by millions, others not. Is it because they have drama? Nope it’s simply because most people don’t really care about that sport.

How many people watched Usain Bolt and Moe Farrar at the last Olympics? Millions, they were some of the biggest highlights, while Mr Bolt could certainly have been said to be entertaining Mr Farrer was generally kind of bland but great at the sport.

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

spoilers:
Everything is on camera

A broken arm doesn’t heal in a few weeks, and neither does a broken ego.

So “clicking guide for mesmer” incoming?

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Jasher.6580

Well, I think you chose a bad example to be honest. Sure he may have got more attention but he was also very good at boxing and held championship belts and fights which a lot of people would watch even without the smack talk.

A lot of people I know, myself included, wouldn’t watch a sport they had no interest in regardless of someone’s character or drama. They’d just shrug and say, not my kinda sport.

I mean there’s hardly a ton of drama in football (soccer for the less educated) but the championship and finals are watched by millions if not billions.

Another great example are the Olympics, certain events are watched by millions, others not. Is it because they have drama? Nope it’s simply because most people don’t really care about that sport.

How many people watched Usain Bolt and Moe Farrar at the last Olympics? Millions, they were some of the biggest highlights, while Mr Bolt could certainly have been said to be entertaining Mr Farrer was generally kind of bland but great at the sport.

I’m a huge football fan, and I tell you what. The there is nothing more entertaining than the rivalry matches like Brazil vs Argentina matches. If you don’t know about football rivalries then then you probably just started watching it.

As for Bolt. I am a Jamaican, from Jamaica. I live in Montego Bay so I may be a little biased here but hardly anyone in Jamaica knows who Moe Farrar is. Everyone knows Usain Bolt. You may say that you need a better example because he’s Jamaican.

There are other Jamaican trackstars who have accomplished a lot. Asafa Powell is a very good example. Before anyone knew who Usain Bolt was, Asafa Powell held the world record. He broke 100 m world record in Athens on 14 June 2005. Powell had the three fastest 100 m times of the year, received the Caribbean And Central American (CAC) Male Athlete of the Year award, and ranked second in the world.

I know at one point he had more sub 10 races than anyone else in the world.

The truth is though, nobody knew who Asafa Powell was unless you were a track enthusiast. Bolt elevated it to another level.

And talk about drama? I live in Jamaica… I know. There is HUGE drama between the Jamaican track stars and the US trackstars, the trash talk is borderline disrespectful.

As a matter of fact, it was the trash talk which accounted for a lot of Asafa’s non performance in the big races, the US sprinters used to talk so much trash and it used to get in his head. It was a good strategy because it worked.

(edited by Jasher.6580)

in PvP

Posted by: Phil.8901

Phil.8901

I agree, a little drama is good for every sport.

But in general you need to be really careful if you want to act like an arrogant guy, but your arrogance is not supported by wins.

Because first of all this is not a 1vs1 sport. It’s a team game. Your are challenging 2 world champion teams. You’re nothing in their eyes. Maybe a talent team, maybe not, playing in LAN is different that playing at your home behind your monitor. So you are putting a big pressure on your new team, saying you will have an easy win against 2 world team champion. But your words are not supported by facts, by history.

Helseth overestimated the LAN skill of his Team and probably his skill and it was a really big mistake for a captain.

But it was really fun for spectators, probably his facepalm at the end of the match against Abjured (this moment http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/v/10124128?t=6h13m57s )would deserve a Meme.

Anyway yes, thx Helseth

(edited by Phil.8901)

in PvP

apharma.3741

I’m a huge football fan, and I tell you what. The there is nothing more entertaining than the rivalry matches like Brazil vs Argentina matches. If you don’t know about football rivalries then then you probably just started watching it.

As for Bolt. I am a Jamaican, from Jamaica. I live in Montego Bay so I may be a little biased here but hardly anyone in Jamaica knows who Moe Farrar is. Everyone knows Usain Bolt. You may say that you need a better example because he’s Jamaican.

There are other Jamaican trackstars who have accomplished a lot. Asafa Powell is a very good example. Before anyone knew who Usain Bolt was, Asafa Powell held the world record. He broke 100 m world record in Athens on 14 June 2005. Powell had the three fastest 100 m times of the year, received the Caribbean And Central American (CAC) Male Athlete of the Year award, and ranked second in the world.

I know at one point he had more sub 10 races than anyone else in the world.

The truth is though, nobody knew who Asafa Powell was unless you were a track enthusiast. Bolt elevated it to another level.

And talk about drama? I live in Jamaica… I know. There is HUGE drama between the Jamaican track stars and the US trackstars, the trash talk is borderline disrespectful.

As a matter of fact, it was the trash talk which accounted for a lot of Asafa’s non performance in the big races, the US sprinters used to talk so much trash and it used to get in his head. It was a good strategy because it worked.

Yet I know nothing of Asafa, nor the rivalry between Argentina and Brazil. Is it widely made use of outside the home nations? Not really.

They do the same thing here in England with local clubs (like Man City and Man U), trying to make something of the rivalry and no-one outside of football cares. The point is, the only ones that cared are the people who would watch it anyway.

Maybe it’s just different cultures.

in PvP

Posted by: Centurion.7296

Centurion.7296

This OP’s statement is sad, wanting people to hate each other over a game, what, do you want gw2 to become like WWE? If this would happen; it would make the PvP community toxic like LoL’s. OP if you really want to see people that hate each other fight and not just trolling here, then get off of your kitten and go hit out all your neighbors windows.

in PvP

Posted by: abc.5790

abc.5790

What’s funny is that after I saw Helseth’s video, I started rooting for him. It takes balls to do that kinda thing. He doesn’t seem like a boring person. In fact, both EU captains seem to be interesting characters.

[Star] In My Prono
EU Scrub

in PvP

Posted by: Tyragon.2496

Tyragon.2496

I agree, this was well done. There needs to be some form of rivalry, even if it’s faked, as long as it’s acted out well. As long as it stays within the sport and doesn’t go into personal territory, nor goes physical or involves your own team.

I think some people don’t understand that there are boundaries. You can also not compare it to people who flame or BM, cause those people usually do that to their own team. The aim is to demoralize your ENEMY team, not YOUR team.

I don’t find it breaking sportsmanship if it doesn’t go beyond the boundaries and after a game they shake eachothers hands and say “Good game!”, then leave it behind until they next meet in a match.

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Guild Wars 2 is a very easy game to play/reach the skill cap on all professions without really having to devote much time. I don’t believe the game is too hard for people because the bar is set pretty dang low.

Some of the popular esport games are fairly easy to get into and require hardly any skill (LoL for example) but others are impossible for average players in both realms (Starcraft 2).

Well tell me why even top players seems to play GW2 kind of badly? I often wonder do they even look what boons enemy have and so on.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch