Leaderboards... for real this time

in PvP

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

^Theres a bug right now. Clicking next makes the ladder switch from Europe to NA. It happens if you change pages fast.

Folks are working on a fix for this, thank you!

in PvP

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Will we ever be able to see our current ranking ingame? (Say on pvp screen)

It’s highly likely we’ll do this at some point yes. This requires different folks than those who built the boards. We’ve got the people who could do that focusing instead on getting custom arenas and spectator mode completed and polished, we don’t want to take people off those projects to try and get your rank info displayed in game at this point.

in PvP

Posted by: Miamoto.2814

Miamoto.2814

FACT is that rating system works.

• SOLO que leadderboards (Account based, solo players possible only)
    - problem with same time queing
  • GUILD que leadderboards (Guild name based, players with same guild TAG)
    - show accounts that participate
  • WAR que leadderboards (2-5 Friends, account based, similar to actual leaderboards without solo players)
    - not TAGed players will steamroll mixed setups, so GUILD ques have to be prestigious therefore players are motivated with prizes for guild only.
    - Such motivation is simple – let them feel special/out of the crowd

Next step is Division!
- the best team on the planet is just one to feel special
- the best team of the last possible leagues also feel special and what is more important that they have goal to reach.

It is not perfect, but it is what folks want!
Miamoto

+1

I don’t think the word fact means what you think it means….. For me personally to take something as a fact it has to be 100% provable to me by available information. A-net should explain there rating/mmr system in detail to the player base and how you are rated in a particular match via scenarios. Like how you would score solo queue versus a premade and vice versa. I reserve blind faith for religion and my favorite sports teams thats about it.

Hello, they actually use glicko-2 algorithm to calculate rating stats. I personally found documents that are filled with sophisticated math examples. So i can take this as fact. But you are definitely right. It is needed too see how you will score even before match. So thank you for you opinion that is just great.

Input data are wrong therefore result must be wrong no matter how fine calculation is. We can only pray that devs will divide categories such as solo or guild/team and the rating will have any meaning.

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

showing 100 or 10000000 doesn’t really matter if you can’t see the ratings and know how far you really are

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

It’s highly likely we’ll do this at some point yes. This requires different folks than those who built the boards. We’ve got the people who could do that focusing instead on getting custom arenas and spectator mode completed and polished, we don’t want to take people off those projects to try and get your rank info displayed in game at this point.

when are you going to fix people quitting matches right before they end and matches starting 4v5

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: Lok.3102

Lok.3102

As mentioned, the Elo rating needs to be made visible. There is no point of reference to gauge performance.

If I am ranked 5th, how well must I perform to reach 4th? How many points? Or better, how many wins against similarly ranked teams? 2 wins? 3 wins? 1000 points?

Right now the leaderboards are good for showing off, but they lack the ability to tell you how much progress you need to overcome your competitors.

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

showing 100 or 10000000 doesn’t really matter if you can’t see the ratings and know how far you really are

+1, we need to be able to see numerical ratings, both in and out of game, people needs to be able to see how far they are from next position.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: Gunner.7342

Gunner.7342

they need team ratings and separate out solo, otherwise the boards are a joke. say some guy plays on a team and is undefeated vs all the top teams, then during the day he solo queues, he will never be top 100 ever even though he plays on the best team.

This. At the end of the day Anet isn’t promoting playing the game when solo cause people doesnt like to lose rank.

Solo/Duo Que
Team Que (3-5)

in PvP

Posted by: Lok.3102

Lok.3102

they need team ratings and separate out solo, otherwise the boards are a joke. say some guy plays on a team and is undefeated vs all the top teams, then during the day he solo queues, he will never be top 100 ever even though he plays on the best team.

This. At the end of the day Anet isn’t promoting playing the game when solo cause people doesnt like to lose rank.

Solo/Duo Que
Team Que (3-5)

It goes beyond this, solo needs its own leaderboards.

It’s not a hard model to understand, but understandably it may be difficult for ArenaNet to implement.

• Solo Queue. Solo leaderboards. Who are the best players?
  • Team Queue. Team leaderboards. Who are the best teams?

There is a major inherent problem with sPvP infrastructure, in that there is no official entity known as “team”. Teams are created on-the-fly and have no permanency. You don’t register teams nor name them. Therefore ArenaNet has no way to create leaderboards for teams, but they really need to do this. Right now leaderboards are horribly misleading. I’m seeing top players, but everyone knows these players are at their ranks because of their team.

in PvP

Posted by: Mssg.7804

Mssg.7804

I am really happy with the leaderboard, even if we have some bugs, still better leaderboard with few bugs than nothing, right?
Okey so now we need:
- Separate ques for solo and team match
- Spearate leaderboard for solo and team
- Be able to see own rating in game
- Random map for every match
Team que – You can do old but great WoW system where you just register your team, create own team logo and name for team matches
When introducing solo que, you can leave all ratings and start solo que ratings from 0
For solo que we could do option where at the end players can reward the best or helpful player by 1 point (1 point gives little bit rating)
If any dev is reading this, are any plans for above points?

in PvP

Posted by: hrkljus.1243

hrkljus.1243

Thank you for the info, good call on resource allocation I’m sure most would agree.
Keep up with the dev responses in the sPvP forum! :P

Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Na/ Eu players don’t play each other in spvp. unless you reroll to that other region.

Are you serious? I had no idea! :o Hugely dissappointed by this, all this time I thought this was a global battlefield like GW1 was!

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: GanJoe.5374

GanJoe.5374

i already suspect why we dont see the classes of the rated players… understandable but kind of pathetic move on anets side imho…

This would be a good way to die…
But not good enough!

in PvP

Posted by: Torqky.3682

Torqky.3682

Thanks Colin. I hope you keep improving things more on a weekly basis

Torqky-80 Necro-Blackgate [HB]

in PvP

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

brutally honesty colin….is pvp understaffed? Adding your current rank etc or leaderboards in game does not sound like a terribly hard task…" highly likely we’ll do this AT SOME POINT "….to me this suggests a…say…3 months away kinda deal? really? thats why i ask are you guys understaffed or something? Just hoping for a real answer and not sugar coated PR friendly um’s and ah’s.

in PvP

Posted by: Lordrosicky.5813

Lordrosicky.5813

800 tourney played 458 wins im not in ladder 57,54 win ratio:)

50 Frekitten602 Too Nice 7wins 6 looses 53.85% its joke ?

I have noticed the system is significantly flawed when it comes to volume. If I lose 3 games in a row my rating will drop me from around 50-70th to around 450th (I saw this happen from rank 44 to rank 400 in a few games). And I have almost 900 games on the leaderboard.

I think this system should take into account previous play. It is as if it only cares about your last 20 games. This is statistically incorrect and frustrating. A bad streak shouldnt matter as much if it is small in comparison to your total amount of play.

Character: Henry rank million/Duke Henry
Necromancer/Casual Warrior
[Team] Best WvW guild of all time. EASILY.