Let's put an end to the BM.

in PvP

Posted by: Steb.2571

Steb.2571

Hi everyone, I wanted to talk a little today about the toxicity in the community, more specifically, at the top end of competitive play, and how it effects us individually, and how it effects the community as a whole.

Early in the games launch, there was a lot of respect for good players, teams, innovation, and a fair amount of respect for basically anyone, because everyone was learning, growing, and meeting new people. As the game aged, and players left, some bad development decisions, and unsatisfactory balance, many players slowly became toxic. I myself, am guilty of this, and have my own fair share of skeletons when it comes to being a kitten or BMing other players.

As high tier players, we should hold ourselves to higher standards, everyone who is at the upper level of competitive play and competes in tournys, all deserves to be there, they’ve worked hard, they’re displayed they have what it takes to compete and put on a good showing, and I feel that everyone deserves at least a basic level of respect, even if their not #1 ____ NA.

Too often, I hear people say the phrase _ is trash ____ is a garbage player _ is terrible. It’s constant, you can’t go a day of playing without hearing it 10 to 20 times. This is a core root of where the toxic community perpetuates itself. According to everyone, everyone is terrible, and people even talk kitten to players on their own teams, its gotten to the point of where players don’t even respect their own team-mates.

And this is why the NA community doesn’t have teams, it just has “Super Pugs” Because everyone is always putting each-other down, talking badly about each-other, and disrespecting each-other during, or at the end of matches. No one want’s to play with a “baddie” but according to everyone, everyone’s a baddie.

The other night, our team was scrimming Uncivilized Roughboyz. And it was a hell of a lot of fun. Both teams were respectful, played hard, and learned from each-other, and at the end, there was no BM, no trash talking. Just good respectful competition, and it reminded me that this is how competition and good play is supposed to feel. It was actually awesome, we had so much fun, and learned a lot from doing it, I just wish team queue felt this way.

Players, teams, and even viewers, start talking trash about players, and teams when all we do is perpetuate the bullkitten, and its not good for anyone. We need to take our focus less off “winning immediately” and focus on finding players we enjoy playing with, and then building each-other up together to form a strong team.

Yes, it sucks to lose, yes, you may have a better skillset than a player, and lose to them, it’s called getting outplayed, get over it, and grow up, if you want to win, then earn it, and don’t be a kitten about it. Spreading the toxicity because your upset you lost, or because someone didn’t do what you wanted them to, isn’t going to do anything for us in the long, or short run of things.

As I said before, I’m guilty of my fair share of BM and calling players trash, etc. But that’s not fair, it’s not true, and starting today; I’m changing, I talked with my team and we are as a whole, going to change the way we interact with other players, teams, each-other and the community as a whole.

I really do have respect for everyone that competes, and everyone else should too, we all love playing guild wars 2 and that’s why we’re here. But the toxicity has to go, it’s been here for way too long, and no one wants to step up and own it, and help end it.

It’s easy as kitten to throw an insult, it’s hard to be a man and tell that motherkittener he did good, give that kitten a compliment, kittenes love compliments. And who knows, they might just give you one back.

<3’s I love you all frands, Let us engage in the glorious passionate conflict of erotic sensuality.

-Steb #1 Downstate NA

Attachments:

IGN: Steb
Team: Blacklisted [Envy]

(edited by Steb.2571)

in PvP

Posted by: Demon.2430

Demon.2430

What a nice post right here!

Hope people really understand what’s being said in this post, and what it means.

in PvP

Posted by: Kryshade.6075

Kryshade.6075

I think it’s a generational thing to be honest. I’ve noticed that the older (30+) gamers are usually respectful, competitive people but it’s the kiddies and the upcoming gamer generation that are the trash talkers, noob callers etc. I see it in nearly every game I play and it’s sad.

I’m not qualifying EVERYONE that is young as a trash talker, I’m just saying the problem seems to follow age lines and which generation of gamer people fall in.

in PvP

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

OP I wish you luck bro.

Necromancer Main

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

TL;DR : Basement nerds are toxic.

I got it.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Steb.2571

I think it’s a generational thing to be honest. I’ve noticed that the older (30+) gamers are usually respectful, competitive people but it’s the kiddies and the upcoming gamer generation that are the trash talkers, noob callers etc. I see it in nearly every game I play and it’s sad.

I’m not qualifying EVERYONE that is young as a trash talker, I’m just saying the problem seems to follow age lines and which generation of gamer people fall in.

I wish it were that simple, but it’s not. It’s stems from the community itself, I’ve played MMO’s for over a decade and a half, and there’s virtually no limitations or rhyme or reason to it. If the community is toxic, it does not discriminate, age, gender, race, etc. Toxicity breeds toxicity, and unhappy players (for whatever reason, lack of features etc) cause the toxicity in the first place.

Ever play eve? You’ll see toxic players all over the place, and the community is made up generally of the older generation of gamers. It’s easy to point the finger, but hard to accept responsibility, and that’s where it all begins.

Ego’s are not restricted or tempered with age.

(edited by Steb.2571)

in PvP

Steb.2571

TL;DR : Basement nerds are toxic.

I got it.

That statement was toxic.

in PvP

Posted by: sorrychief.2563

sorrychief.2563

what’s wrong with trash talking? proffesionals trash talk in both esports and real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R0igsOTCT9A

can’t handle a few words? trashtalking is an art, if anything, when you are being trashtalked it means the offender thinks highly of you.

champion magus
previously rank 2 on old leaderboards
EG.secret.OG.NAVI.sorrychief

in PvP

Posted by: Aeroxe.8140

Aeroxe.8140

I’ve kinda learned after playing in this game for so long that people just don’t give a kitten about what they say in this community because….it is an online game. If you want to stop the BM you have to consider the causes:

1) To make yourself feel better by putting someone else down (this is Freud’s displacement). This is very common in solo que, as blaming another person for throwing a match justifies your own play, and retains your self-esteem.

2) To offer “constructive criticism” in light of a moral belief to strengthen one’s team. This happens very often in a team, and when the criticism turns into insults and BM, it becomes not really constructive but instead destructive.

3) To prove that people are bad when they think that they are good. This is extremely common and probably the most prevalent and important reason at “top-tier” level play. It annoys good players to see “bad” players claim that they are good (or be told that a certain “bad” player is good"), as people innately believe in a “just world” (refer to psychology). Basically, people have this moral illusion that they have a duty to separate the good from the bad by BMing the kitten out of that “bad” person to prove true skill levels and reduce the fog. This, however, is of course not moral as you are just putting down someone just because of your own beliefs, entertainment, and self esteem in the grandiose height of your own skill level. You can’t assume people who are bad actually truly believe that they are good.

4) To get entertainment. People have fun by seeing other people in distress apparently.

5) Entropy. LOL

Thief (main), ele, guard
Past member of most teams NA. Retired proleague season 1+2.
http://www.twitch.tv/aeroxe

in PvP

Posted by: NeXeD.3042

NeXeD.3042

Twitch had a drinking game in honor of steb during the qualifier

Attention Moderators I am not
S P E E D Starr #0 Necro NA or
I Am NeXeD awful d/D ele NA

in PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

Expand on this, this is now a need to know conversation.

Standing by.

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: masskillerxploit.2165

masskillerxploit.2165

+1 OP’s post

/15char

Ferox, multiclass’r, ESL’r
Team Lead For Radioactive [dK] B Team

in PvP

Posted by: Ovid.7135

Ovid.7135

Aeroxe is on point, though I believe the last line of 3) is a little off. Even if they are bad (and everyone knows it) and claim they are good, there is still no reason to abuse them.

Peanut Butter Jelly Times (Swisslips)

in PvP

Posted by: Aaron.2413

Aaron.2413

As high tier players, we should hold ourselves to higher standards,
everyone who is at the upper level of competitive play and competes in tournys,
all deserves to be there
, they’ve worked hard,

-Steb #1 Downstate NA

/facepalm “we”

in PvP

Aaron.2413

I’ve kinda learned after playing in this game for so long that people just don’t give a kitten about what they say in this community because….it is an online game. If you want to stop the BM you have to consider the causes:

1) To make yourself feel better by putting someone else down (this is Freud’s displacement). This is very common in solo que, as blaming another person for throwing a match justifies your own play, and retains your self-esteem.

2) To offer “constructive criticism” in light of a moral belief to strengthen one’s team. This happens very often in a team, and when the criticism turns into insults and BM, it becomes not really constructive but instead destructive.

3) To prove that people are bad when they think that they are good. This is extremely common and probably the most prevalent and important reason at “top-tier” level play. It annoys good players to see “bad” players claim that they are good (or be told that a certain “bad” player is good"), as people innately believe in a “just world” (refer to psychology). Basically, people have this moral illusion that they have a duty to separate the good from the bad by BMing the kitten out of that “bad” person to prove true skill levels and reduce the fog. This, however, is of course not moral as you are just putting down someone just because of your own beliefs, entertainment, and self esteem in the grandiose height of your own skill level. You can’t assume people who are bad actually truly believe that they are good.

4) To get entertainment. People have fun by seeing other people in distress apparently.

5) Entropy. LOL

Extremely well said. For a kitten.

in PvP

Posted by: Aeroxe.8140

Aeroxe.8140

5) Entropy. LOL

Extremely well said. For a kitten.

Ouch my feelings. Or at least I think the censored word is what it is.

Thief (main), ele, guard
Past member of most teams NA. Retired proleague season 1+2.
http://www.twitch.tv/aeroxe

in PvP

Posted by: Avitori.6093

Avitori.6093

I honestly think its just that videogames are played mostly by teenagers, who don’t know how to separate “fun” trash talk with straight up BM and insults. Not saying that all of them are like that though. Obviously the anonymity of the internet, frustration from lack of updates / Dev support, and sense of entitlement from thinking that being good at a videogame with a competitive playerbase as small as my neighborhood actually means something (it doesn’t) aaand we slowly get a toxic community

(edited by Avitori.6093)

in PvP

Posted by: popaz.1524

popaz.1524

Thanks for this much needed post!!

I’m sure reacting to people getting trashed talked can go a long way.

(edited by popaz.1524)

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

<3’s I love you all frands, Let us engage in the glorious passionate conflict of erotic sensuality.

in PvP

Posted by: Geiir.7603

Geiir.7603

I completely agree with you Steb! I honestly have to say that I usually give credits to those who deserve it and I can’t remember the last time I flamed someone.

I do however enjoy it when people try to flame me. It mean that they waste time writing in the chat, while I do my best to contribute to the match.

The worst are when teammates start to flame.... That means that they don’t contribute and are just a liability...

Melder – Thief

in PvP

Posted by: tichorum.2415

tichorum.2415

what’s wrong with trash talking? proffesionals trash talk in both esports and real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=R0igsOTCT9A

can’t handle a few words? trashtalking is an art, if anything, when you are being trashtalked it means the offender thinks highly of you.

Trash talking others to make yourself feel better. Nothing more professional than that, right?

Former PvP commentator for ESL & Arenanet.

I used to run the Academy Gaming tournaments for GW2.

(edited by tichorum.2415)

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

It has nothing to do with generation, just maturity, which is loosely related to age.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in PvP

Posted by: rsq.3581

rsq.3581

Well said, Steb. This is a message that any community, be it online or ‘irl’, can benefit from.

Would have loved to have played y’all in the qualifiers this past weekend, would have been a fun and more even match to stream, watch, and play.

/facepalm “we”

Sad that you are incapable of acting like an adult for even this one, short moment. You, specifically, could take some serious advice from this thread. The NA scene honestly suffers from mentalities such as yours.

Salphir | Salfir | Falana
jo0 Binder

in PvP

Aaron.2413

Well said, Steb. This is a message that any community, be it online or ‘irl’, can benefit from.

Would have loved to have played y’all in the qualifiers this past weekend, would have been a fun and more even match to stream, watch, and play.

/facepalm “we”

Sad that you are incapable of acting like an adult for even this one, short moment. You, specifically, could take some serious advice from this thread. The NA scene honestly suffers from mentalities such as yours.

Whats wrong with my mentality? I simple use negative reinforcement to motivate others to succeed

in PvP

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

TL;DR

y u wanna get rid of BM rangers? Their not even meta….

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in PvP

Posted by: slausty.1238

slausty.1238

Well said.

After playing against your team and interacting with you and others afterwards, I couldn’t help but feel hope for the pvp community even if that is naive.

It was refreshing to interact with individuals that are positive, unbias, with hints of humor (Defektive as well).

Small moments of clarity, often caused by the actions of others, allow us to follow positive examples from the few rather than the negative from the populous.

[SF] [zH] Ubnext

in PvP

Posted by: ArrDee.2573

ArrDee.2573

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Let’s all stop being unfrandly towards each other and be frands with everybody! Take a lesson from Vee Wee, #1 frandliest person NA and everybody’s frand! Even teenagers!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis <-It’s back!

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

There is sometimes toxic behavior at all levels. It’s unfortunate when it’s top down, which is sometimes the case. However, for things that operate on the platform we know and love as the internet internet anyone is able to have a say, that’s the beautiful and ugly thing about it.

Anyone can do/say anything they want at a moments notice, and passion and emotion is not something that everyone can keep in check. So when you see great joy expressed in competition, it’s not surprising that you’d also see malice expressed too.

Ultimately each individual within the community is capable of eliminating there own toxic behavior, but that’s not a realistic expectation to have all the time. To reduce toxicity the best players can currently do is hold themselves accountable for there own actions, communicate constructively, and when they encounter toxic behavior to denounce it, while not feeding it.

It’s easier to destroy than build, there’s truth to that, but communicating “YOU’RE SO BAD, QUIT THIS GAME AND RL” instead of “The team needed you at point A, not B” hurts the community as a whole, especially when that negativity gets fed further and further.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Ugh reading is hard

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: cheese.4739

cheese.4739

1) yeah please don’t be eejits, everyone

-Steb #1 Downstate NA

2) ^ totally stealing this.

in PvP

Steb.2571

I have a song of my affection I wish to share with you friends.

(edited by Steb.2571)

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

+1 to your post, OP. Maybe other games can have a toxic, trash talking PvP community, but I’d like to think that we here in GW2 can hold ourselves to a higher standard.

in PvP

Steb.2571

+1 to your post, OP. Maybe other games can have a toxic, trash talking PvP community, but I’d like to think that we here in GW2 can hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Some communities are better / worse than others. Unfortunately, GW2’s PvP scene is pretty toxic in general.

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Fact: Most emotionally engaged criticism directed towards another are projection.

If people keep this in mind, life becomes so much easier for everyone.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

in PvP

Posted by: Ovid.7135

Ovid.7135

^That’s a fact? Tell us the evidence for that incredibly general statement.

Peanut Butter Jelly Times (Swisslips)

in PvP

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

Trash talking is fine, constantly harassing people in map chat/ team chat/ whispers is not ok… I find hotjoins to be more enjoyable now then Solo Arenas…. After hitting dragon I had little to no interest to join a solo arena and listen to all the toxicity from both teams about different players.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Steb.2571

Trash talking is fine

Not really, that’s what breeds toxicity, and people are fine with it until they lose and it happens to them, you won, take it with grace, rubbing salt in the wound just kittenes people off and they in turn treat others badly, perpetuating this bullkitten is what causes a toxic community to spread like wildfire.

Playfully messing with the other team in good fun is much different than telling people their trash, etc.

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

Yep, I mean I am not goint to say it is not the community’s fault that people with less than 200 matches played are calling one another “PvE Scrubs” and more about murdering their families (no screenshots since I usually leave after)

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

Let’s put an end to the ‘funny’ picture and video replies. Steb you are more guilty of speaking in memes than BMing people, imo.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

in PvP

Posted by: Defektive.7283

Defektive.7283

Let’s put an end to the ‘funny’ picture and video replies. Steb you are more guilty of speaking in memes than BMing people, imo.

Thank you so much for this. You have no idea

tPvP Warrior
http://www.twitch.tv/defektive
Team Blacklisted [Envy]

in PvP

Posted by: ellesee.8297

ellesee.8297

Hello frands! Vee Wee here, #1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!

Vee Wee tries to be as frandly as possible to everyone in hopes that it would rub off! Unfortunately not! It’s too difficult to be frands with everyone! But not for Vee Wee! Vee Wee will continue to be frandly to anyone and everyone!

Wahoo! Bye frands!

#1 Engi NA and world first rank 80!
#1 Frandliest person NA!
http://www.twitch.tv/Livskis

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

DOn’t be so.. toxic..

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

prisu, someone tell me, what is BM!?

domo arrigato, mr roboto!!!!

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Steb.2571

prisu, someone tell me, what is BM!?

domo arrigato, mr roboto!!!!

Bad Manners.

in PvP

Posted by: tanztante.6532

tanztante.6532

aaaaah,... thank you

Ayaílla ~all is [vain]

ele @ Gf Left Me Coz Of Ladderboard [vain] (EU) / Salty Strategy [PAIN]

in PvP

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

50% the world is a kitten, 50% Get thick skin.

Society nurtures bad manners nowadays. Be the exception, but realize you cannot make your standard the rule.

Be nice to people whenever you can. The last thing you’d need is to get poisoned by the rotten personalities on this game and become part of the problem.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

in PvP

Steb.2571

50% the world is a kitten, 50% Get thick skin.

Society nurtures bad manners nowadays. Be the exception, but realize you cannot make your standard the rule.

Be nice to people whenever you can. The last thing you’d need is to get poisoned by the rotten personalities on this game and become part of the problem.

It’s not that I’m trying to make it a rule, I’m pleading with my fellow gamers to help me create a better community for all of us to play in. And it’s such a small community, that if a few of us take a stance on trying to be better towards one another, we can make a big impact, and set an example for others to follow, and lead by example.

People respect respectful people, and it’s hard to show disrespect when you’re being shown the opposite, and instead of toxicity breeding toxicity, I’d rather we have respect breeding respect amongst fellow gamers and pvpers.

in PvP

Steb.2571

Edit: Just fixing the thread, was broken.

(edited by Steb.2571)

in PvP

Posted by: Ynna.8769

Ynna.8769

I think a community can nurture a friendly atmosphere. It only takes a couple of people to set a good example and shun those that misbehave.

I recently came back to this game and after a couple of weeks of getting my moves back on in hotjoin I decided to do something more serious. Before the match I stated that I was still learning and wouldn’t mind if people gave me hints or told me what to do. Instead of constructive criticism, I was yelled down when I made a mistake. Now, I’ve played enough games over the years and my skin is thick enough so I can handle some name-calling, but that doesn’t make it right. It’s also a good way to scare away newer players, making the community stale and even more obnoxious.

And there’s a difference between trash talking and insulting. Trash talking is done out of some mutual respect and to play headgames. You should at least have some connections with the person you are trash talking to. If you’ve played a couple of games against the same opponent, and they’ve indicated they recognize you, it can be fun to diss them somewhat. But keep in mind that tone is hard to convey in text communication. Err on the side of caution.

If you’re talking down to a player on your team or to someone you have no connection to, that’s creeping closer to the line of verbal abuse and is more likely to hurt the other person than to improve their game.

One part of trash talking is that you’re also willing to tell the recipient they did a good job at the end of the match, or offer constructive criticism. If at the start of the match you’re all like: “You guys couldn’t even kill a pack dolyak,” but at the end of the match you’re like: “Thanks for the good fight.” I think that’s okay.

Err on the side of being too friendly, though. You’ve literally got nothing to lose by being nice or staying quiet.

“Come on, hit me!”