Like that the devs are now in the forums

in PvP

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

This is good, really good, communication with the devs is a very good thing to the community, this will make people stop guessing things that they dont known, this will make us know what are the devs thinking of the game or the things that are happening, another good thing is that now we know that they are reading suggestions or the things that we post in the forums, i really hope this dont end and all of a sudden the forums go dead with no devs posting anything.

Also is good that they participate in things like the SOTG show, but i think the forum communication is more global, so not only a few players are listened and make changes based only on a few players.

And for the community, i hope you remain respectfull in the conversation with the devs, im not a fanboy and im pretty sure they can make mistakes, and they did, but if we want this communication to continue then we need to behave, seriously i have seen some teasing post to the devs when they are talking to them that i can see why they are not always posting in the forums.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

in PvP

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

Thanks for the post Fenrir.

As I’ve said before, we love talking with you guys, but we’re very busy. Most devs in the industry are….it’s not always a 9 to 5 job.

I’m heading to the exhibition halls now for China Joy, but thanks to everyone who’s been posting lately, and all your positive/constructive posts. I won’t have wifi on the show floor, but I’ll post more this week before/after the show as time allows!

We did an exhibition match yesterday against some of the guys from KongZhong! They were highly knowledgable about the game, and VERY nice! Maybe you guys can find it and check it out if it makes its way to youtube.

Lates!

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

in PvP

Posted by: DanzelOPP.5068

DanzelOPP.5068

We need dev presence in the forums to squash all this Qqing. There’s a new thread of non sense everyday about what’s op, very few are justified. It definitely makes people feel a little better when they have a good idea and a dev tells them so.
I would just recommend to them to put people in their place, when it calls for it.

B O I N K

in PvP

Posted by: Knox.8962

Knox.8962

I’ve really enjoyed reading the interaction with the community over the last few days, but I do feel like this is relatively isolated to the sPvP section of the forums. I realize that the majority of this communication is coming from people focused on sPvP, but there are also large numbers of players who don’t follow sPvP that would really appreciate similar feedback in other areas as well.

TLDR: Thanks so much for doing this. Can we get something like this in other areas too?

in PvP

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

We need to see more presence in the class forums rather than just in this forum like we’re seeing now. It makes me feel like they’re only balancing around tPvP and ignoring the rest of the game.

Stuff goes here.

(edited by Kravick.4906)

in PvP

Posted by: Brave Sir Robin.3410

Brave Sir Robin.3410

This is good, really good, communication with the devs is a very good thing to the community, this will make people stop guessing things that they dont known, this will make us know what are the devs thinking of the game or the things that are happening, another good thing is that now we know that they are reading suggestions or the things that we post in the forums, i really hope this dont end and all of a sudden the forums go dead with no devs posting anything.

Also is good that they participate in things like the SOTG show, but i think the forum communication is more global, so not only a few players are listened and make changes based only on a few players.

And for the community, i hope you remain respectfull in the conversation with the devs, im not a fanboy and im pretty sure they can make mistakes, and they did, but if we want this communication to continue then we need to behave, seriously i have seen some teasing post to the devs when they are talking to them that i can see why they are not always posting in the forums.

+1 Agreed.

I also think its important to tell devs what does work and what you like. Not just a feel good tactic (of course that can’t hurt), but a way for them to validate certain design decisions. I don’t believe that no news is good news – good feedback is good news.

in PvP

Posted by: Asuka Shikinami.5462

Asuka Shikinami.5462

Jonathan, don’t forget the class forums exist. Just a dev post once a week would help improve the morale with the constant classes changes which are never explained. I suspect most class forums have a bug list and suggestion compilation in there somewhere, some small amount of love in that direction would be appreciated by many.

After I’m elected, bribing me will be considered a “gold sink”
- John Smith

in PvP

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

You know there hasn’t been a dev post over in the mesmer forum for months. The reason we are in such a bad shape now is because virtually nobody is listening to us.

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

What we need is a Game Balance/ Combat System sub-forum, where Anet and the community can gather to discuss about those issues without being lop-sided to a specific class or restricted to spvp’s context. The discussion for Warrior GS, among other issues, would probably be better if pvers could contribute, considering it needs balance in both sides of the game for opposite reasons.

in PvP

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

We did an exhibition match yesterday against some of the guys from KongZhong! They were highly knowledgable about the game, and VERY nice! Maybe you guys can find it and check it out if it makes its way to youtube.

Lates!

Yup, when Asians start playing this game, we’re in some serious trouble… I mean… we’re just going to die… ;D

in PvP

Posted by: Yza.2437

Yza.2437

Lates!

Yup, when Asians start playing this game, we’re in some serious trouble… I mean… we’re just going to die… ;D

Doubtful. The imbalanced classes and broken stealth mechanics make this game borderline silly. Couple that with the fact that spvp is a glorified series of successive boring duels and you have zero potential for e-sport.

My guess is the increase dev response in the forums -after one year into the game- is because they are losing customers in spvp and now in WvW. Too bad..the game had amazing potential.

Everyone can dream or kid them selves to sleep better at night, though.

in PvP

Posted by: Reesha.7901

Reesha.7901

Jonathan, don’t forget the class forums exist. Just a dev post once a week would help improve the morale with the constant classes changes which are never explained. I suspect most class forums have a bug list and suggestion compilation in there somewhere, some small amount of love in that direction would be appreciated by many.

I could not agree more.
When posting on this section of the forum regarding specific concerns of the different classes, the point of the post drowns in comment from other classes that are hardly relevant.
If mesmers make a post regarding thier concerns, “omg you are OP, other classes also have bugs, why should your bug fix be more importent than ours ect” is instantly posted back. It makes a serious discussion pretty much impossible.

I guess it’s the same for every other class.

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

+1

would it be possible to get a dev tracker for the subsection? (sPvP – or anything else – but especially for sPvP)

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: Peter Buch.8071

Peter Buch.8071

I appreciate the current activity of the devs, but don’t focus on PvP only. If you don’t care about PvE at all you lose 90% of your playerbase. PvE makes the game, PvP is only an important feature.

in PvP

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

I appreciate the current activity of the devs, but don’t focus on PvP only. If you don’t care about PvE at all you lose 90% of your playerbase. PvE makes the game, PvP is only an important feature.

It’s quite obvious every update to the classes are made to balance them in PvP. Meanwhile, they make them broken or worse in PvE.

in PvP

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

1:30 am…long day at the show.

THe reason I quickly jump into the sPvP forums is because that’s usually the best place to talk overall game balance.

It’s honestly just easier for me to look at that 1 forum, and then the WvW base forum, and get a sense for those 2 game types. For PvE, there are many layers of balance, from story steps, to dungeons, to fractals, to events, to new content for the living world, etc.

For the class forums, it’s just looking at 8 individual forums, which, when you’re on trips like this with a slow wi-fi connect, is just much harder and slower.

It’s not that we don’t love PvE, or balance for PvE, it’s literally just easier for me (personally) to check 1 sub forum, rather than 8, when I have limited time and a “meh” wi-fi.

Don’t read too much into that.

Also, if I post in 1 class sub forum, then I feel like I need to be fair and post in the other 7…which adds up fast at 1:30 am. Heh.

Just being honest! Thanks for all the constructive posts and honest questions guys!!!

-Chap from China

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer

(edited by JonathanSharp.7094)

in PvP

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

THe reason I quickly jump into the sPvP forums is because that’s usually the best place to talk overall game balance.

do you guys not have analytical tools?

in PvP

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

And this explains quite a bit why balance is out of whack.

This subforum is by far the least objective place to discuss balance, from my experience.

Are the prof forums better? Probably not.
Would PvE forums be better? Surely not.

Maybe make another little subforum for a stricty talk about balance? Selecting some “serious/good/obective/expert” players and have them as “filter” to discern QQ from feedback? Dunno, just a couple of ideas.

But seriously, even without taking in account the issues that the spvp centric balance is causing in PvE and WvW (wich actually do is a issue, mind you), this subforum is terrible for a balance discussion, manly because literally flooded by QQ, mistaken as actual objective feedback and with correlated (wrong) balance notes way too many times.

(please note: i’m not saying that there aren’t serious and objective feedback about balance. But when it’s literally submerged by the flood of QQ, discerning what to rely on and what to ignore gets more and more difficult. )

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in PvP

Previous

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Next

Bear in mind I’m not saying it’s ideal, but for getting a sense of what the PERCEPTION is, the forums are a good place to hear the VOCAL minority and their thoughts (but how many times are there huge opinion threads on a patch even before you guys have played the changes in question….theorycrafting isn’t very accurate…).

We have many other places where we get data, but when it comes to interfacing with a ton of people at once, we often go to the forums to get a quick “pulse check” on what people are thinking. It’s often hyperbole, but it still gives us a sense. We can make up our own minds, we don’t just go to the forums and start making every change we read…

Then the “sifting” process starts, and we separate fact from fiction, fact from opinion, etc.

Players are funny….they don’t want us listening to the forums….but then they can be mad when we don’t listen to their feedback.

WE CAN’T WIN!

-Arthur Schopenhauer

(edited by JonathanSharp.7094)

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Bear in mind I’m not saying it’s ideal, but for getting a sense of what the PERCEPTION is, the forums are a good place to hear the VOCAL minority and their thoughts (but how many times are there huge opinion threads on a patch even before you guys have played the changes in question….theorycrafting isn’t very accurate…).

We have many other places where we get data, but when it comes to interfacing with a ton of people at once, we often go to the forums to get a quick “pulse check” on what people are thinking. It’s often hyperbole, but it still gives us a sense. We can make up our own minds, we don’t just go to the forums and start making every change we read…

Then the “sifting” process starts, and we separate fact from fiction, fact from opinion, etc.

Players are funny….they don’t want us listening to the forums….but then they can be mad when we don’t listen to their feedback.

WE CAN’T WIN!

I think you guys have an awesome outlook on this issue, and you really do understand what goes on in the forums. A lot of times it is a vocal minority all agreeing with one-another that slowly builds towards a critical mass of “NERF EVERYTHING!! EVERYONE IS OP!!” without fully understanding.

Thanks for really trying to be transparent, and it stinks that you get as much negative feedback when you do. Most players (not necessarily here) are more positive on your efforts. Keep up the great work tweaking and tuning the game, and keep giving us new shinies (traits and abilities) that we can try building around!

P.S. Can we get a cooldown reduction on RTL in PVE at least? Pretty please with cherries on top! So fun!

in PvP

Posted by: Peter Buch.8071

Peter Buch.8071

Pls no. That just can’t be true. Pls tell me that I’m dreaming. That I’m having a really really really bad nightmare.

Just sayin’ it like this: Give warriors another buff because they are inferior in PvP and they can probably solo every dungeon in PvE.

Edit: Did you take at least once a single little look on the bug threads in every profession sub forum, where players have spend a lot of their time to analyze, note and verify every single bug a class has? Pls, don’t say no, otherwise I’ll lose all my faith in ArenaNet.

(edited by Peter Buch.8071)

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

WE CAN’T WIN!

No, you can’t. Resistance is futile.

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

What we need is a Game Balance/ Combat System sub-forum, where Anet and the community can gather to discuss about those issues without being lop-sided to a specific class or restricted to spvp’s context.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Pls no. That just can’t be true. Pls tell me that I’m dreaming. That I’m having a really really really bad nightmare.

Just sayin’ it like this: Give warriors another buff because they are inferior in PvP and they can probably solo every dungeon in PvE.

Edit: Did you take at least once a single little look on the bug threads in every profession sub forum, where players have spend a lot of their time to analyze, note and verify every single bug a class has? Pls, don’t say no, otherwise I’ll lose all my faith in ArenaNet.

ACtually what he said makes perfect sense when you realize that they don’t designed the PvE encounters and the balance of PvE depends HEAVILY on how the content team that implements the PvE encounters.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

WE CAN’T WIN!

This is because you’re getting feedback about two game types and only applying half of what you hear to the whole. As a PvE player I feel cheated and if you stepped out of the PVP forum to hear about what MOST OF THE PLAYERS OF YOUR GAME have to say you might have a better idea of what needs to be done.

But there’s a big tournament coming up and I don’t PvP so I have to take the fact that I’m blatantly undervalued as a player and customer and head to the back of the line again. I plan on shelfing this game and the ~$30-40 dollars a month I put into it because I believed in your philosophy until you decide to do what was effective in your first game and split the balancing for PvP and PvE.

in PvP

Posted by: Shar.3402

Shar.3402

WE CAN’T WIN!

This is because you’re getting feedback about two game types and only applying half of what you hear to the whole. As a PvE player I feel cheated and if you stepped out of the PVP forum to hear about what MOST OF THE PLAYERS OF YOUR GAME have to say you might have a better idea of what needs to be done.

But there’s a big tournament coming up and I don’t PvP so I have to take the fact that I’m blatantly undervalued as a player and customer and head to the back of the line again. I plan on shelfing this game and the ~$30-40 dollars a month I put into it because I believed in your philosophy until you decide to do what was effective in your first game and split the balancing for PvP and PvE.

pve players are so undervalued that they get new content every 2 weeks…
please, keep it real -.-

Shar Teel – Elementalist
Yolo queue FTW [YOLO] – Desolation (EU)
Champion Magus, Genius

in PvP

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

please, keep it real -.-

Well, if you call Living Story achievemnt farm “content”…. anyway, keep in mind that

if pvers get content

and pvpers get the control over balance

wvwers get a 60-second work WXP perk at month.

Also: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/86278/Rytlock_esports.gif

(i love this gif.)

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in PvP

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

WE CAN’T WIN!

please, keep it real -.-

Change it to 2 months as you want. I want balancing more.

In fact, it’s their own decision to have such frequent content update. Now I understand, that’s to shut us up.

For PvE, there are many layers of balance, from story steps, to dungeons, to fractals, to events, to new content for the living world, etc.

aka, too hard to do so we gave up balancing it.

in PvP

Gnat.9405

I’m not talking about that, I’m talking about current content that is deeply flawed and makes the entire mechanic of support/control obsolete before it ever stood a chance.

Honestly most of the PvE players aren’t even asking for changes to professions, but changes to the content that will make these professions useful. And it’s not an issue of flavor of the month, it’s the flavor of the game because that’s how the game was allowed to be designed.

If the devs would step out of the PvP forums to actually see what the problem is, there wouldn’t be such an issue of what to do about the classes. But as Jonathan said, it’s easier to just pop in the PvP forum to see what changes need to be made to the entire game. Seems legit.

(edited by Gnat.9405)

in PvP

Posted by: Enundr.9305

Enundr.9305

as Afya said , its to keep us quiet , why else isnt there more PERMANENT pve content then? last i heard theres no real plans for an actually expansion (aka pve content) , as well as nothing yet about new landmasses (aka stuff in current map that isnt full blown expansion but opening these areas up even when in game you see the pathways to such areas shut with no subtelty at all in trying) , though its always in the air about added new areas in current map , as far as anything thats been said theres no plans to expand , SS was prob the last one well see for awhile beyond the living story stuff , while slightly entertaining , gets old fast since its burned through in a day or 2 , depending on how much time you spend in the game / how much you want to try to get done knowing the content isnt permanent. The devs need to stop focus on just pvp at this point or this game is going to be a complete lost cause as the ppl that enjoy pve (bigger group then the pvp btw) will move onto the next mmo because of the negligence towards pve to favor pvp , and most of us GW1 players want to see REAL SEPERATION of the 2 like we saw back in GW1 , which might actually help this a bit more. im not holding my breath that well actually see this anymore though , there are other mmos coming out not too far from now that offer good times (or shall depending on your PoV).

in PvP

Kravick.4906

This is not something I wanted to read. You’ve basically just told everyone that most of the time you don’t even bother reading the class sub forums, and that if we want any kind of balance attention outside of spvp we need to come here to vent our frustrations. Balancing the entire game around spvp is a really, REALLY bad idea. The ONLY ideas for balancing you’re going to get in this sub forum will revolve around spvp. Its already been shown that this game mode is by far the least popular thing your game holds. You’re just shooting yourself in the foot by coming here looking for balance info.

I don’t even know what to think about all this, but I’m seriously disappointed, and appalled at this whole situation. This forum is by far the worst place to get objective feedback. Its full of nothing but people attempting to get one class or another nerfed so they can continue face rolling with their current build/team set ups.

At this point, the only way you can save your game is to just bite the bullet and split balance between the two. You cannot balance your entire game around spvp. It will not work and will do nothing but make your greater population base angry and quit. spvp is not your greater population base. Not even by a mile.

Stuff goes here.

(edited by Kravick.4906)

in PvP

milo.6942

This is not something I wanted to read. You’ve basically just told everyone that most of the time you don’t even bother reading the class sub forums, and that if we want any kind of balance attention outside of spvp we need to come here to vent our frustrations. Balancing the entire game around spvp is a really, REALLY bad idea. The ONLY ideas for balancing you’re going to get in this sub forum will revolve around spvp. Its already been shown that this game mode is by far the least popular thing your game holds. You’re just shooting yourself in the foot by coming here looking for balance info.

I don’t even know what to think about all this, but I’m seriously disappointed, and appalled at this whole situation. This forum is by far the worst place to get objective feedback. Its full of nothing but people attempting to get one class or another nerfed so they can continue face rolling with their current build/team set ups.

If I had any faith that this game was in good hands before, it sure is gone now. Guess I’ll just wait for the next MMO to come out at this point.

At this point, the only way you can save your game is to just bite the bullet and split balance between the two. You cannot balance your entire game around spvp. It will not work and will do nothing but make your greater population base angry and quit.

hey man, i mostly agree with you, but i think it’s replies like these that make devs not post in forums

in PvP

Gnat.9405

I agree with you shimmerless but the fact is that the devs are not treating PvE as such. They are coming to PvP to balance classes and push even more prematurely obsolete garbage into dungeons. The tank and spank aspect of PvE is being completely ignored

in PvP

Kravick.4906

hey man, i mostly agree with you, but i think it’s replies like these that make devs not post in forums

Its feedback. If Jon looked at the other forums, he’d see a lot worse than what I wrote. What I wrote is tame by comparison. Very tame. He still needs to know that there is a growing (and getting larger every day) number of people becoming very discontent with the design decisions. Now that we understand where these design decisions are coming from, we need to voice our opinion about them. Balancing this game around spvp is a horrible idea.

Most of us right now are extremely confused as to why they refuse to separate the two like they did in GW1. Its extremely disappointing for us and does not bode well for the future of this title.

Stuff goes here.

in PvP

Gnat.9405

Hey all,

Just wanted to repeat what we have said so many times in the past. We do balance for PvE as well as PvP. Please don’t misinterpret what Jonathan was saying in that post.

You will find that we will be having a hotfix coming soon, where we do actually split the skill for PvE/PvP. While this is not something we can likely do for every skill in the game, we do recognize that certain skills are more viable in PvP/PvE and vice versa. We do what we can to make sure that everyone is happy.

Thanks for understanding.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/necromancer/Cashing-Out/2495256/quote

in PvP

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

^yeah what just happened there?^

We get it that “I quit threads” are against TOS and the OP should have known better.
but there was a lot of important Dev info that got thrown out with the bath water.

I think most of us are patient enough to Wait and see what the new projects bring to the table. But that doesn’t also mean they can’t simply give us a ballpark estimate of how many skills they think they could skill-split for both the betterment of sPvP as well in those rare cases where a skill works better in PvE than in PvP
(some warrior Auto#1’s for example)

(edited by ilr.9675)

in PvP

Gnat.9405

Amazing.

in PvP

Posted by: Follidus.8027

Follidus.8027

I agree. People only know what they see, and if the community sees nothing they will think the worst (that devs don’t care, don’t listen, etc. despite that being far from the truth).

Just make sure you keep it up!

Cause I ain’t perfect, I never said I was.
But now they’re hating cause a brotha finally got some buzz
www.twitch.tv/Follidus – Team Absolute Legends

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Next

Thanks Folly!

ilr.9675, I definitely understand your point of view, but understand that observing the CoC/ToS is very important on these forums. I would post on there more, but I think my PvP title makes people think I only ever care or think about PvP (which is definitely not true). I don’t think it’s possible to estimate how many skills we would have to split, but I can say that if we feel it is absolutely necessary for the health of the game, we will split a skill/trait.

in PvP

Posted by: ensoriki.5789

ensoriki.5789

Thanks Folly!

ilr.9675, I definitely understand your point of view, but understand that observing the CoC/ToS is very important on these forums. I would post on there more, but I think my PvP title makes people think I only ever care or think about PvP (which is definitely not true). I don’t think it’s possible to estimate how many skills we would have to split, but I can say that if we feel it is absolutely necessary for the health of the game, we will split a skill/trait.

I’ve got to ask because I don’t understand.
Is there something that stops the PvE devs from going back on certain encounters if a skill balance makes a profession hard to play there? As far as I know half the professions feel neglected in that area, but shouldn’t the content there be varied enough to make those professions worthwhile?

Is the skill-split just the most reasonable option that the devs are able to do in the time they have? I’d think their is a pve balance/encounters/dungeons team that isn’t entirely composed of the same people who do skill balance.

The great forum duppy.

in PvP

Posted by: Shananigans.8412

Shananigans.8412

I agree with folly! Great job

Shananigans- Team Absolute Legends
[Ark]-Ele

in PvP

Posted by: Enundr.9305

Enundr.9305

Thanks Folly!

now allie i say this cause alot of us are feeling it atm (ppl that are upset that is) , we WANT to see the same seperation of pve and pvp that we saw in GW1 , its what most of us came here loving the game for , ive played enough mmos to tell you decisions made to balance based on pvp that affect pve utterly desroy one aspect , and vice versa with pve destroying pvp. thats why the complete seperation of the 2 skillsets should be done again , with pve versions and pvp versions of skill. it was a great system and i feel it would mitigate alot of these complaints if they were kept seperate again. sure there will be other complaints about pve but alot of the complaints now are pvp “balancing” pve inproperly. We WANT to see the very same thing many of us loved GW1 and were hoping to see in GW2 , it was one of the things i bragged about when this game was first coming out , how my friends were skeptical cause of the pvp balacning pve thing , i bragged how great GW1 was doing it , and lately i feel like ive had my foot in my mouth the whole time since then……please look into FULLY seperating the skills again with pvp versions and pve versions. it was a great system that kept the game alive in the first one (as far as ppl who like to pve and pvp , and those that only liked specific pve or pvp). there will only be more hate that other mmos have to suffer with because they dont understand this as well , cause its a great system to do which gets rid of alot of grief from ppl that are upset about it.

in PvP

Posted by: Allie Murdock

Previous

Allie Murdock

Community Coordinator

Guild Wars is a very different game from Guild Wars 2. I understand the sentiment (I myself was a Guild Wars player, Spearmen 44/50!), but we did not build a new game to be just like an old one. While we can certainly gain inspiration from it, comparing the two skill systems is not very helpful because they are vastly different.

in PvP

milo.6942

Guild Wars is a very different game from Guild Wars 2. I understand the sentiment (I myself was a Guild Wars player, Spearmen 44/50!), but we did not build a new game to be just like an old one. While we can certainly gain inspiration from it, comparing the two skill systems is not very helpful because they are vastly different.

Then why call it Guild Wars?

in PvP

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

WE CAN’T WIN!

This post is spot on! I honestly don’t think there could be a better response on the subject of how the devs evaluate forum feedback +1

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

in PvP

oZii.2864

Are you serious? That can’t be serious response at all. When people make a sequel to a movie if they want it to be successful they don’t make the exact same movie. You continue story lines draw inspiration but you don’t want it to be a remake you want it to be reimagined (see recent Batman movies and recent Man of Steel)

If we look at games you can get away with sequels that are pretty much the same game with a 2 on it for a little while. Eventually people find it old or they feel ripped off I am talking about yearly releases like Call of Duty, Madden, Street Fighter 2 (insert several variations of the same game with new characters)

If GW2 was GW1 with shiny new graphics people would play it enjoy it but if you want to last you have to make the sequel different enough from the original especially if you want to draw in new players.

I would rather them to keep the skills as close as possible across all versions of the game then a full split. It is easier for newer players to understand. When I go to test something in the mist (since I mostly WvW) I wan’t to get as close as possible to the build I run in WvW it is already split in the fact that I don’t have the same food I do in WvW then there are even certain runes that aren’t in the mist that I can get (mad king, altruism, boon duration runes are different) it is much easier to just put on the same exact thing and get a visual. I can theorycraft the numbers I don’t have a problem crunching some numbers to get the difference but someone that isn’t like me can’t even get a visual for how 10% extra boon duration will affect his build because 2 monk 2 water is different in the mist than in wvw/pve. Splitting all the skills is even worse.

{Thief}

(edited by oZii.2864)

in PvP

Gnat.9405

Allie I’m curious as to the current design of skills and how they relate to the content in both PvE and PvP. I know the developers can’t be ignorant to the system that is in place now, where a group of damage builds can blast through what was advertised as your most difficult content in 5-20 minutes.

The balance issue for PvE is a different one than PvP because in PvE, it is not necessarily the skills that are posing the problems for the players, but it is the effectiveness (or ineffectiveness) of said skills and inherently the builds that use them. The traditional trinity of tank/healer/damage was thrown out in favor of a supposedly more efficient and social design, but it is clear that the design is failing due to how trivial the PvE content becomes when 5 damage roles are thrown at it.

I am curious as to how the balances being checked on the PvP side of things are being translated to improve how playable other roles are on the PvE side.

in PvP

Posted by: josh.7390

josh.7390

Are you serious? That can’t be serious response at all. When people make a sequel to a movie if they want it to be successful they don’t make the exact same movie. You continue story lines draw inspiration but you don’t want it to be a remake you want it to be reimagined (see recent Batman movies and recent Man of Steel)

If we look at games you can get away with sequels that are pretty much the same game with a 2 on it for a little while. Eventually people find it old or they feel ripped off I am talking about yearly releases like Call of Duty, Madden, Street Fighter 2 (insert several variations of the same game with new characters)

If GW2 was GW1 with shiny new graphics people would play it enjoy it but if you want to last you have to make the sequel different enough from the original especially if you want to draw in new players.

Sorry, but this is just senseless bashing.

You knew that lot will be different. No holy trinity, a massive faster combat. There were plenty of information before the game was released. And srsly you cant split skills with such a low pvp-playerbase. That was the problem in gw1, you acutally had to learn 2 games, which isnt fun. Espically not, if you just get stomped into the ground from all the cheesy builds.

Not splitting makes the game newbiefriendly what is very important. There are some problems with the balance sure, but you dont have to split almost every single skill and trait.

And probably the new skills/traits will bring some better stuff

in PvP

Posted by: Laxuar.3504

Laxuar.3504

What i miss from GW isn’t the gameplay, i love the one of GW2.
I miss a lot of things that i don’t understand why here in GW2 there aren’t:

• Dishonorable System
  • Zaishen Key as reward from PVP
  • Daily and Monthly tournament
  • Guild with Elo ratings
  • Save the Build
  • Observer that you can start when you want and see again your guild match

And an other thing that i don’t understand is that you keep saying that is hard to fix and change skill, but there are tons of things that have only the wrong description from the start of the game. You keep saying that you want that player understand the game and don’t find it complicate, but a skill that don’t say what it does it doesn’t look simple.

Exemple:

I understand that you have big plans in mind but i will prefer that, before making new skills, traits, runes, sigil you will fix and work on what you have.

And pls stop thinking that you have to balance for Hight level PvP, Low Level, WvW and PvE. Just balance for Hight lvl PvP. A more difficult game is better because ppl will get happy if they fill that they learn how to play difficult builds. And PvE and WvW who cares if it isn’t perfect? If i love ranger, that is weak, i play him in WvW or PvE.
But this is only a my opinion.

Anyway keep talking in forum giving to us the hope thatyou will make this game better.

(edited by Laxuar.3504)

in PvP

oZii.2864

Sorry, but this is just senseless bashing.

You knew that lot will be different. No holy trinity, a massive faster combat. There were plenty of information before the game was released. And srsly you cant split skills with such a low pvp-playerbase. That was the problem in gw1, you acutally had to learn 2 games, which isnt fun. Espically not, if you just get stomped into the ground from all the cheesy builds.

Not splitting makes the game newbiefriendly what is very important. There are some problems with the balance sure, but you dont have to split almost every single skill and trait.

And probably the new skills/traits will bring some better stuff

Huh? I don’t want every skill and every trait split I edited my post to add that in there. So I completely agree. with you.

{Thief}