Lots of New game modes!!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Kentrey.3251

Kentrey.3251

I was thinking we always talk about wanting new games mode but rarely do i see people talking about more than just saying Capture the flag or Team Death match, which really doesn’t give much detail.

Why not make a thread detailing a game mode or two you’d actually like to see in GW2 (all thought out and stuff)

Well i think it helps to mention that one of the best ways to create something new and amazing is to look at other successes to build a foundation and improve on.

So in the MMO section
First up WoW I mean you don’t get to be that monster without a few good ideas. And PvP is one of them
-Warsong Gulch/Twin Peaks – Pretty much 2 base CtF. But with a pretty decent size and your classes abilities to be of use along with the amount of team work needed because you have to run right though the enemy team, it was pretty much TDM where you had an objective forcing you all into one spot. And left room for strats like turtling, leaving a person behind to slow them down, or even just having someone running full tank or speed rouge running the flag.
-Arathi Basin – Its the mode we already have CtF, just on bigger maps with 5 points instead of 3 (which also left for some nice coordination, and a big ability for people to have 1v1s without being rolled by an entire teaming running to help) which with the movement skill capabilities we have it might be an option to explore
ALTERAC FREAKING VALLEY! The cream of the crop of this thread. It was pretty much Mini WvW. 40 v 40. The goal was to see who could run the other teams out of supplies or kill their lord faster (So Legacy of the Foefire in reverse) But the map was HUGE. There were many difference objectives and possibilities that went into the game. From killing their lieutenant (so they would lose their buff and supply) to getting mercs on your side who would destroy other people, to getting certain points so you gained back supply to gathering different things from dead enemies or missions to summon powerful friends. This might be an idea for WvW but my god this is what made PvP fun and i think with the innate amount of teamwork in GW2 it would be perfect.
-Eye of the storm, Strand of the ancients,Isle of conquest – Not my favorites so they won’t be listed by me >.>
lastly Silvershard Mines and Temple of Kotmogu Great new directions in pvp worth the check out. (not for me to mention)

-SWtoR

-Huttball – While i think they had some decent pvp maps Huttball is the real one that stands out. Its PvP with environmental hazards, CtF, and a innate need for teamwork at its core. Its fun and very replayable.

FlyFF I know crazy right
-Dual Arena Not impressive PvP to say the least but they did have this interesting idea of a giant circle. That once you stepped in you could be targeted and killed. And the killer would get a stacking buff and a little loot from you. Its a terrible PvP map idea but might actually bring a little fun to the heart of the mist. Add a daily for staying in for so long (not in stealth of course) or kill so many people at once inside of it. And you’ve instantly made Heart of the mist a fun place to be

Rest to be continued in the next post

in PvP

Kentrey.3251

And lastly Non MMO ideas.
Gw2 Prides itself on being different than the pack. That you’ve done, and done well.
Which also gives you the option of taking from ideas that aren’t normally in the MMO scene.

Halo and CoD Multiplayer giants! FPSs naturally have replayability but the real reason these games mutiplayer haven’t gone to the wayside is their decent map design. Places like Nuketown and pitstop are not only fun but open for a lot of different styles of play.

Assassins Creed / Zombies! Now they took a great new spin on muliplayer that was not only good a but a hit thoughout their games. And you guys have already touched bases on that with Lunatic inquisition (which i’ve been up entire Nights! playing) But it doesn’t have an impact on your pvp rank or rewards or anything. I understand why the rank is but to not get anything at the end. I’m personallying hoping to see many more game types like this. That are both Fun (which it already is) and rewarding.

Though that is pretty much the list for me. What do you guys think??

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

WSG, AB, and AV were my favorite battlegrounds and I would like to see these style maps in GW2. They don’t have to be competitive, just fun. After a year of conquest, the game is pretty much stagnant until there are more playable options for pvpers. Maybe a map where two teams do a dungeon speed run side by side and whoever finishes the run first wins the match. I think it would promote more team play and we wouldn’t have to focus so much on balance because non-viable builds might work in different game modes.

in PvP

Posted by: Ashanor.5319

Ashanor.5319

Huttball was utter trash. I would rather see something similar to Voidstar. I agree about adding capture the flag though, I have been hoping they would for a long time. I also agree we need some arenas, though I never played any arena in that game you were talking about. We need 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5 imo. Something similar to UT2K4 Conquest mode might be interesting.

in PvP

Posted by: Peow peow.2189

Peow peow.2189

RUNESCAPE – Castle wars. Man what a fun game mode…

2 bases on opposite ends, 20 minute match… you must capture the flag and run it back to your base without the enemy killing you. Requires some to defend some to attack and there are different supplys like med kits, explosives, siege that help stop the enemy.

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

2 bases on opposite ends, 20 minute match… you must capture the flag and run it back to your base without the enemy killing you. Requires some to defend some to attack and there are different supplys like med kits, explosives, siege that help stop the enemy.

Just sounds like CtF with a slight twist.

in PvP

Posted by: Frye.4608

Frye.4608

AB and AV would be so cool, i am prety sure they would work in gw2. Not wsg though, be careful what you wish for, a few mesmers can help the flag carrier get home in 20 seconds. And knowing anet it will be mesmers that get adjusted not the map. Spirit Watch debacle v2.0

in PvP

Posted by: Incurafy.6329

Incurafy.6329

Just sounds like CtF with a slight twist.

At its most basic, that’s essentially what it is. But considering you can have hundreds of players on each side and the map is quite large, it’s not that simple. :P

thiefhitfor2kbetternerf
all is vain

in PvP

Ashanor.5319

AB and AV would be so cool, i am prety sure they would work in gw2. Not wsg though, be careful what you wish for, a few mesmers can help the flag carrier get home in 20 seconds. And knowing anet it will be mesmers that get adjusted not the map. Spirit Watch debacle v2.0

Or you just don’t let carriers take teleports? That was hard.

in PvP

Posted by: Invizible.2960

Invizible.2960

FlyFF I know crazy right

DO NOT say that name!! I dont wanna remember the horrors of getting to 115 psykeeper.. I didnt even make hero or siege one time :,(

in PvP

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

AV, IoC, and AB are the best WoW bgs. <3

All GW2 pvp modes suck, I mean the one mode…

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

in PvP

Posted by: Lianon.3479

Lianon.3479

Just decided to drop by in this interesting topic, after a long time out of the forums, to leave an idea that has been eating my brain for a while..

Why in the world isn’t there a pvp mode played in the WvW maps?
As someone suggested, it could be something like a 20v20, 40v40, 15v15 or whatever!
I mean, it’s not like the instances (maps) aren’t already there, you’d just have to quickfix some small stuff.
Heck, you could even maintain the structures and siege weapons, and make a small pvp mode (match-based, domination style, points and all, identical to what is already being played)

in PvP

Posted by: AtoBoss.2906

AtoBoss.2906

Cant you just join the ‘1v1 duel server’ room for arenas? and

- In game leaderboard – 2v2 and 4v4 leaderboard. Awarding rewards at the end of each ‘season.’ (maybe 2 weeks a season) Special skins usable for 2 weeks for rank1s and a crown or whatever next to their name.

Holycowow

in PvP

Kentrey.3251

Cant you just join the ‘1v1 duel server’ room for arenas? and

- In game leaderboard – 2v2 and 4v4 leaderboard. Awarding rewards at the end of each ‘season.’ (maybe 2 weeks a season) Special skins usable for 2 weeks for rank1s and a crown or whatever next to their name.

Well its a bit different
1. Normally if you want to 1v1 duel you want to do it right where you are. Possibly while you wait for some form of que to pop. And only once against another player you’re curious about.
2. The idea i was thinking of was Just a giant circle in heart of the mist. And anyone in the circle was available to be attacked and the longer you were inside/the more people you killed the stronger/more rewarded you became. So pretty much it would be chaos of warriors running in an out. Thieves stealthing around backstabbing and running away. Lots and lots of AoE fields from necros. It isn’t really meant to be balances as much as fun
(And just a side detail note. Anyone outside the circle trying to attack in would only get immune against all other players (as well as their conditions, You would also get a points for downing a person (dependent on the amount of HP you did.) as well as a point for finishing that person as to stop theives from just last hitting and then stealth stompings)

and 2v2 and 4v4s and or 3v3s actual maps and tourney modes would be so awesome! Of course with the higher number of players getting more rewards. Though i do think our PvP playerbase is a bit too thin currently to be spread out like that

in PvP

Kentrey.3251

Just decided to drop by in this interesting topic, after a long time out of the forums, to leave an idea that has been eating my brain for a while..

As someone suggested, it could be something like a 20v20, 40v40, 15v15 or whatever!
I mean, it’s not like the instances (maps) aren’t already there, you’d just have to quickfix some small stuff.
Heck, you could even maintain the structures and siege weapons, and make a small pvp mode (match-based, domination style, points and all, identical to what is already being played)

Well personally I (thinking of designers and players) wouldn’t want people looking to PvP (goes as well for GvG) taking up map slots (making ques longer) because they want to go PvP in like Obsidian Sanctum. That ideas sounds awesome if it was a easy way to get you right there. And if you were gonna do that why not just make it apart of PvP.

And that is what the idea of Alterac valley. It was the PERFECT map for something like that.
40v40 big. with points that had effect on the rest of the map. Though personally i would leave sieging to WvW and take everything else about it but having bigger maps and more people and even more objectives that matter would be very fun

in PvP

Posted by: Adian.8756

Adian.8756

Lyann Vail | 80 Mesmer
Aurora Glade [EU] | Leader of ‘The New Reality [NR]’
WvW Beast!

in PvP

Posted by: Jomo kenyatta.7351

Jomo kenyatta.7351

Dont need to reference wow with regards to pvp modes, gw1 had more variety than any other game.
Random arenas random 4v4 no leaderboards of course cause thats meaningless
Team arenas 4v4 same format as random arenas but proper teams
Codex Arena limited skills available which change periodically
Alliance battle 3 teams of 4 v 3 teams of 4.
Fort aspenwood 8v8 assualt and defend.
jade quarry 8v8 collect resources with npcs
heroes accent 8v8 map progression with 9 maps in succession.
guild versus guild 8 versus 8 differnt guild halls with different tertiary objectives.
not to mention the lvl 10 arenas.
In short gw1 is an easy way to introduce something, and it doesnt matter if it works, we wont find out if it works or not until its played competetivly.

in PvP

Posted by: The Lost Witch.7601

The Lost Witch.7601

Fort Aspenwood & Jade Quarry from GW1. (8v8)

Small scale combat with quite a bit of NPC involvement. Also in Fort Aspenwood both sides had a different objective.

In the case of Fort Aspenwood, the kurzicks were trying to defend their fort and make a powerful weapon, while the luxons made an assault with their siege turtles. Typically time ran out with either the luxons beating the three NPCs in the heart of the fort or them being hold off at the innermost gates. But there were many matches in which the final fight at the NPCs was going on when the kurzicks finally managed to make their weapon.

It was also possible to rebuild the walls and recover as the Kurzick side.

Having an asymmetrical design like this is pretty hard to balance, but this was the PvP mode in GW1 that I liked the most.

More info: FA wiki

The Jade Quarry design was different. Here both factions, both luxon and kurzick would fight over jade resources. The design was symmetrical and both sides had the same objective: obtain as much jadeite as possible. Only turtle and juggernaut npc’s could carry it though, so spawning those by capping camps and then defending them on their way back to the base was the only way to score points.

More info: JQ wiki

As for why I liked these a lot:

I guess they were more closely related to PvE. Some of the things that I knew very well from PvE would also have a place in this type of PvP. (Fights against static foes reward entirely different builds than fights against players that are much more mobile and do things like running away…)

This didn’t mean that I could get away with my regular PvE build. It didn’t take long for me to start picking up cripples, slow hexes & interrupts to make sure that I could put up a good fight against enemy players. But at least it wouldn’t be a complete break with all that I knew from my hours in PvE.

(edited by The Lost Witch.7601)

in PvP

Posted by: SuperHaze.4210

SuperHaze.4210

Dont need to reference wow with regards to pvp modes, gw1 had more variety than any other game.
Random arenas random 4v4 no leaderboards of course cause thats meaningless
Team arenas 4v4 same format as random arenas but proper teams
Codex Arena limited skills available which change periodically
Alliance battle 3 teams of 4 v 3 teams of 4.
Fort aspenwood 8v8 assualt and defend.
jade quarry 8v8 collect resources with npcs
heroes accent 8v8 map progression with 9 maps in succession.
guild versus guild 8 versus 8 differnt guild halls with different tertiary objectives.
not to mention the lvl 10 arenas.
In short gw1 is an easy way to introduce something, and it doesnt matter if it works, we wont find out if it works or not until its played competetivly.

GW1 had lots of great pvp maps, but I was hoping for something larger like AV where the raid leader can break us up into groups and it was our responsibility to take out certain npc’s. Then rush down to the end of the map where the boss is at. The most coordinated servers had the best chance of winning when almost everyone fulfilled their duties.

With flag carriers in WSG, the same rules for orb carriers can be applied to flag carriers, but the flag carrier can run just a bit faster if the map was larger.

in PvP

Posted by: Lianon.3479

Lianon.3479

Well personally I (thinking of designers and players) wouldn’t want people looking to PvP (goes as well for GvG) taking up map slots (making ques longer) because they want to go PvP in like Obsidian Sanctum. That ideas sounds awesome if it was a easy way to get you right there. And if you were gonna do that why not just make it apart of PvP.

And that is what the idea of Alterac valley. It was the PERFECT map for something like that.
40v40 big. with points that had effect on the rest of the map. Though personally i would leave sieging to WvW and take everything else about it but having bigger maps and more people and even more objectives that matter would be very fun

Yea i understand you don’t wanna split the already small pvp crowd, but the idea i mentioned was focused towards bringing WVW AND PVP players together in a different, smaller style of wvw
I mean, you could have the map as an option for any user created room in pvp, but obviously OUTSIDE of the actual tournament pvp and its rounds and rewards.
We can’t forget that pvp crowd is small in this game because most ppl who play pve and wvw DON’T play pvp because of it’s repetitiveness!