MM and Going Forward.

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Zanryu.3417

Zanryu.3417

I wouldn’t say the system is that great, you still run into one sided matches fairly often. Or rather that seems to be my experience anyway, I think the issue with solo queue is how rarely you can get a decent team comp. Sometimes you get stuck in matches where the enemy team is full of classes that your team would have a hard time with or vice versa.

It’s good that the rankings and matchmaking systems are getting attention, but even with the changes it doesn’t seem as if you can get truly “fair” teams. There’s still plenty of teams with multiple of the same class whereas the other team would have one or none.

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Baldric.6781

Baldric.6781

No amount of matchmaking can make up for a low playerbase. Even if they somehow manage to put a system that takes into account the classes of the queued players, a lot of matches will still be bad, or you will have really long queues (like 30 min, hell 2 weeks ago i had +10 min. queues in europe).
If they changed the way teams are made, so it’s not the best 5 vs the worst 5, it’s as much as you can do. Yes you will have bad games, some you will even say really ? how i’m supposed to win ? But that’s the best you can have in gw2, and no amount of matchmaking will fix it. Unless you are ready to wait 30 minutes to play.

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Showing your ladder positions insted of pvp rank is a really good idea.

And i agree, rename “rank” in something else like level, spvp level or other stuff.

the word “rank” needs to be used only for leaderboard position imho

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

I’m going to try to make this point again.

New players should be placed in the 75% percentile or lower. It’s not hard to get out of that range if you’re good, but running into new players in the 1-500 range is unacceptable.

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Tranassa.4968

Tranassa.4968

I’m going to try to make this point again.

New players should be placed in the 75% percentile or lower. It’s not hard to get out of that range if you’re good, but running into new players in the 1-500 range is unacceptable.

THIS! But i disagree with your opinion that it is not hard to get out of this ranking “hell”. I was going up and down a lot in the ladder (I startet playing different professions with different builds), and my experience is, that it highly depends on your team if you win or not. For example as a guardian you have low impact on the outcome of a match, if your team is leaving you constantly alone with classes that can beat you in 1 on 1 (condition necros, engis). If you play a damage class u have more impact on the game, but still you will run into people that just dont want to defend points, then you can try to defend a point by yourself, or you can join the zerg… I’m not sure what is the better way… The highest impact you have (IMO), if you play any kind of far point asaulter.

If you say now: “Well you are stuck in this ranking hell because you are bad!” Then i would like to answer, check the ladder between 1000 and 500, you will find a lot of experienced players here. And a lot of them are playing rly good IMO.

Example:
618 Gmontell.3496 Unae Jeff 879 738 54,36% Vizunah-Platz [FR]
Have not check if he is still streaming, maybe he stoped playing…
767 Heman.9104 Lion King Roar 623 445 58,33% Feuerring
797 Malkaviana.1085 Disarmönia 457 301 60,29% Seemannsrast

Just to name 3 ppl i personaly know, because i played against them.

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

Next

New players should be placed in the 75% percentile or lower.

The problem with changing the default is all you end up doing is moving the center of the curve. We’ve been talking about other metrics we can use as a proxy for skill and game knowledge that we can use to then place players at starting MMR closer to their actual skill level. E.g. PvP rank, PvE level, achievement points, time played, etc..

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Tranassa.4968

PvE level..

:D made me smile

The problem with changing the default is all you end up doing is moving the center of the curve. We’ve been talking about other metrics we can use as a proxy for skill and game knowledge that we can use to then place players at starting MMR closer to their actual skill level. E.g. PvP rank, PvE level, achievement points, time played, etc..

If you take the things u mentioned into account, to assign different MMR to players that are new to tpvp, woul this not smoth out the “center of the curve”?

To clarify: MMR is the hidden value that determines the rank on the ladder?

And maybe this should not only be done for new players, but also for players that are playing infrequently… But i guess this is not possible with the current system?!

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Justin ODell.9517

Previous

Justin ODell.9517

PvP Server Programmer

If you take the things u mentioned into account, to assign different MMR to players that are new to tpvp, woul this not smoth out the “center of the curve”?

The goal would be to have no noticeable change in the shape of curve, but still better place new players.

To clarify: MMR is the hidden value that determines the rank on the ladder?

Correct.

And maybe this should not only be done for new players, but also for players that are playing infrequently… But i guess this is not possible with the current system?!

The more we manipulate the MMR the less it can be used as a metric for skill, so we’d want to keep things like this to an absolute minimum.

Server Programmer (sPvP)
Isle of Janthir: Flux, Latch, Aegir

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Acandis.3250

Acandis.3250

There no reason to do that. Just put all the new players in the same range and they’ll settle accordingly. If you take dumb things into account like pve level, PvP rank, or otherwise it’s going to be very unbalanced.

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: sirflamesword.3896

sirflamesword.3896

I really like the idea of showing Leaderboard rank instead of sPvP “rank” in the tourney matches. Not only will it give players an easy way to see if the matchups were actually even, it will also give a nice way to show off the leaderboard rank you have.

It’s also really awesome to see Justin and Josh responding to the ideas that the community has. This portion of the forums has a much better “feel” to it than the other sections of the forums, or even this section just a couple months ago. It’s awesome.

Pinnacle of Responsibility[Mom]-Yaks Bend
Unstable Shield, Unstable Light

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

2 guardians, 2 necromansers and a thief in Skyhammer… are you serious?

Err I don’t think the matchmaking considers which classes are best/worst for Skyhammer :P
The very fact that Skyhammer exists in TPvP should be enough proof there are some things that we simply can’t understand about ArenaNet.

They’ve done an excellent job of all the improvements so far, but Skyhammer being part of TPvP map rotation is still something that eludes me. Some think it apparently encourages positioning, which makes me wonder if they have actually played Skyhammer.

(edited by Wintel.4873)

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: fodem.2713

fodem.2713

Minimum rank requirement is a MUST for system to work…
2 reasons

1) Avoid a totally newbe to be put with high rank players… Someone can just create an account with zero knowledge of the game, enter pvp and think:
" what is that arenas over there ? I am gonna sign In ! "
" hey I can buy runes in the other npc ! Nice "
This guy doesn’t know that he just ruined some high rank player match, and it’s not his fault…

2) Some high rank player can just log in his secondary acc and try to ruin other ones rank or feed his own rank in the leaderboards….

With a minimum rank both situations will be avoided and system will work better…

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

yeah cause not knowing what skills do is clearly the problem… just lol

Oh kitten , mine was an ironic example. Why can’t you interpret what people writes?! And yes, I found a lot of guys that don’t even know how their class works. So what is the point explaining them match mechanics if they are smashing random buttons?
And since getting to rank 10 is pretty fast, it is very likely that someone can reach it without understanding completely what he was doing.
If you were lucky enough to don’t met those guys during the 10-matches qualification, good for you.

we not necessary need the mmr.. position or % on leaderboard would be enough to quickly calculate if the match is balanced or not.

Wrong. Two players may be distant in leaderboard but have similar MMR. This may easily happen if most of players get around the same MMR which is very likely on the long run since skill cap is low.

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Tranassa.4968

Two players may be distant in leaderboard but have similar MMR. This may easily happen if most of players get around the same MMR which is very likely on the long run since skill cap is low.

This is an interesting point!
Could we get some information about the distribution of the MMR atm from an ArenaNet official?
Something like: “Top 50 have the highest MMR with little distance to Top 150-200, which are relativey close to each other. Then there is a gap …”

Would be interessint and could explain the different experience some players have with the new matchmaking.

Would be also nice to know what the officials are thinking about the new matchmaking. Do you think it is working rather good or bad? Do you see any specific problems with it atm?

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Relentless.7023

Relentless.7023

There no reason to do that. Just put all the new players in the same range and they’ll settle accordingly. If you take dumb things into account like pve level, PvP rank, or otherwise it’s going to be very unbalanced.

Total tournament games played could work. Smurf accounts can be exploited for sabotaging other players’ LB ranks, so if everyone had to play a specific # of tpvp games before they get into the competitive area of solo and team Q that would be more fair imo

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Tranassa.4968

Total tournament games played could work. Smurf accounts can be exploited for sabotaging other players’ LB ranks, so if everyone had to play a specific # of tpvp games before they get into the competitive area of solo and team Q that would be more fair imo

How can players get a specific # of tpvp games played, if they can’t enter soloQ/teamQ? Or do you mean something different with “competitive area”?

I’m playing on EU
Automated Tournaments!

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

…..

we not necessary need the mmr.. position or % on leaderboard would be enough to quickly calculate if the match is balanced or not.

Wrong. Two players may be distant in leaderboard but have similar MMR. This may easily happen if most of players get around the same MMR which is very likely on the long run since skill cap is low.

means the higher one probably plays more games and has regardless of skill more experience. not only skill determines the outcome of the game. experience and tactic also.

MM and Going Forward.

in PvP

Posted by: Relentless.7023

Relentless.7023

How can players get a specific # of tpvp games played, if they can’t enter soloQ/teamQ? Or do you mean something different with “competitive area”?

Acandis seems to be asking for having two tiers of the queues. One for the newer/inexperienced players, and the other for more experienced/better players. I was suggesting that total games played could separate those two tiers, to prevent brand new players from getting buzz sawed, smurf accounts by pathetic people trolling, and from matchmaking to be messed up for everyone affected by both situations.