Make sPvP Great Again

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: SneakyTouchy.6043

SneakyTouchy.6043

There are ways to create a system where matching creates close matches, queue times are low, and pips represent your skill level. If developed well, the possibility of a separate 5 man team ranking game mode existing without disrupting Q time issues could become a reality.

The major problem is that Anet wanted to create a system where mouse clickers could climb ranks and earn their achievements. They then damaged that system by throwing newbs into these MMR hell things that didn’t give them the option anyways. As result, we have a system that was designed for them, trolled for them, and caused major damage to the parts of the community who value prestige and competitive gameplay. They literally gave the finger to every type of SoloQ player one way or another within each season. Damage is occurring continuously. I recommend that Anet attempt to repair these issues as soon as possible.

The Wings

One of the biggest issues for many on the bottom end is concern over how they are supposed to earn the achievements. Anet’s solution was pip safety barriers. All that was necessary was to reach Ruby each season, a fairly easy task with enough luck as the safety barriers were plentiful up to this point. These barriers however prevented players from losing ranks. While allowing them to complete achievements related to crossing divisions, it distorted the placement of players in the appropriate matching brackets, the result being a major decline in matching quality.

To resolve this issue, it would be best to replace the achievement calling for division crossing to something based on a large number of games won (or played). The effort required would be the same. The type of player who would have reached this achievement would have been the same. The change allows better placement for higher quality matching while simultaneously permitting progression towards their achievements on the side.

The other option is to give wings prestige and say screw those complainers. They don’t play well, therefore don’t deserve the wings. The consideration at that point is moral, but I do personally think that giving such an item the requirement of skill on top of dedication may be inappropriate, especially now that so many have achieved the wings without actual skill. There’s room for more prestigious rewards in the future. The black star next to the name being one of them would be more than enough to satisfy me, but there’s nothing to say that 2017 won’t provide a new back piece for players who actually achieve high ranking. For now, I think it’s nice that there’s a back piece that stands for the dedication and endurance of all the suffering caused by these ridiculous matching systems.

Ranking Barriers

The next major issue is that ranks don’t represent player skill. This is a major deterrent to competitive gamers. The ranked system deserves engaging gameplay and accurate prestige within the ranks, all of which has been sacrificed to provide wings to the majority. That sacrifice has cost the community a large chunk of population and support and it needs to be corrected. The longer Anet waits to admit mistake and fix the issue, the more will be sacrificed until it is done.

As mentioned before, the critical part that needs to go is the pip safety barrier. They exist at every pip for amber, every tier for emerald and sapphire, and at every division break beyond. Players need to be able to fall back so they can play among people at their skill level. If they can’t, the chances they will have complete kitten s on their team, or super elite rapists on the enemy team, is going to be much higher. With the barriers in place, MMR tanking will always be a thing, paying the enemy to forfeit will be sustainable, and the mathematical evaluation of player skill will drown in errors. This can all be fixed by removing the barriers.

Ranking Placement

Another critical point is the rate of which players reach a pip value that represents their current ability. This value needs to move fast enough to keep pace with balance passes, and fast enough to reflect short term progress. Maybe a player decides to stop using combat cam. They need to be able to see progress because of it within 10 games.
As it stands, I think the MMR system works fairly well and works at an appropriate pace. All we need is a system that moves pips along with the MMR standing so I propose we change the way pips are rewarded.

Since it isn’t reasonable to base pip rewards on personal score within a match, I instead propose we base it on personal MMR. That means, of the spread of players currently in a match, you will either have the highest MMR, the lowest, or be somewhere in the middle. If you have the highest and win, you get extra pips. If you have the lowest and lose, you lose extra pips. It’s that simple really. It will push you into a bracket where players have similar rating values. Players who are too high for their division will move down so they don’t frustrate players in higher divisions. The same works for league players who log in to their alt accounts. It will also cause the number of pips you have to represent your rating.

In order for these changes to work, there will be an additional change required: That there be no divisions beyond legendary. No X2 X3 etc… Without an upper barrier, division ranking would have no meaning. There would also be no cap to prevent pip matchmaking spreads to reach too far. Queue times would expand or reach a point where matching is no longer optional.

Abuse

I’ve tried hard to consider in what possible ways these adjustments could lead to abuse. What happens if a pro league player duoQ’s with a vegetable? The best I can consider here is using a system that I believe is already in place. As a party, the MMR of the top player is considered to match the lower. Their party MMR is inflated as a result, causing the matching to put the better players on the enemy team. In that situation, the vegetable now has the lowest MMR, meaning a win results in the minimum rate of progression. The Pro-leaguer gets a large reward, placing him into more advanced brackets with his vegetable. I think the current system does well to disincentivize using vegetables for progression, or making a business out
of carrying vegetables to the iron throne.

Season 4

As we have it now, the player base is divided among 3 separate divisions, all of which each include the full spectrum of player skill levels and have little to no method of separation. People don’t want to play, populations are low, matching is now a mess and Q times are high because of it.

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

There are ways to create a system where matching creates close matches, queue times are low, and pips represent your skill level. If developed well, the possibility of a separate 5 man team ranking game mode existing without disrupting Q time issues could become a reality.

The major problem is that Anet wanted to create a system where mouse clickers could climb ranks and earn their achievements. They then damaged that system by throwing newbs into these MMR hell things that didn’t give them the option anyways. As result, we have a system that was designed for them, trolled for them, and caused major damage to the parts of the community who value prestige and competitive gameplay. They literally gave the finger to every type of SoloQ player one way or another within each season. Damage is occurring continuously. I recommend that Anet attempt to repair these issues as soon as possible.

The Wings

One of the biggest issues for many on the bottom end is concern over how they are supposed to earn the achievements. Anet’s solution was pip safety barriers. All that was necessary was to reach Ruby each season, a fairly easy task with enough luck as the safety barriers were plentiful up to this point. These barriers however prevented players from losing ranks. While allowing them to complete achievements related to crossing divisions, it distorted the placement of players in the appropriate matching brackets, the result being a major decline in matching quality.

To resolve this issue, it would be best to replace the achievement calling for division crossing to something based on a large number of games won (or played). The effort required would be the same. The type of player who would have reached this achievement would have been the same. The change allows better placement for higher quality matching while simultaneously permitting progression towards their achievements on the side.

The other option is to give wings prestige and say screw those complainers. They don’t play well, therefore don’t deserve the wings. The consideration at that point is moral, but I do personally think that giving such an item the requirement of skill on top of dedication may be inappropriate, especially now that so many have achieved the wings without actual skill. There’s room for more prestigious rewards in the future. The black star next to the name being one of them would be more than enough to satisfy me, but there’s nothing to say that 2017 won’t provide a new back piece for players who actually achieve high ranking. For now, I think it’s nice that there’s a back piece that stands for the dedication and endurance of all the suffering caused by these ridiculous matching systems.

Ranking Barriers

The next major issue is that ranks don’t represent player skill. This is a major deterrent to competitive gamers. The ranked system deserves engaging gameplay and accurate prestige within the ranks, all of which has been sacrificed to provide wings to the majority. That sacrifice has cost the community a large chunk of population and support and it needs to be corrected. The longer Anet waits to admit mistake and fix the issue, the more will be sacrificed until it is done.

As mentioned before, the critical part that needs to go is the pip safety barrier. They exist at every pip for amber, every tier for emerald and sapphire, and at every division break beyond. Players need to be able to fall back so they can play among people at their skill level. If they can’t, the chances they will have complete kitten s on their team, or super elite rapists on the enemy team, is going to be much higher. With the barriers in place, MMR tanking will always be a thing, paying the enemy to forfeit will be sustainable, and the mathematical evaluation of player skill will drown in errors. This can all be fixed by removing the barriers.

Ranking Placement

Another critical point is the rate of which players reach a pip value that represents their current ability. This value needs to move fast enough to keep pace with balance passes, and fast enough to reflect short term progress. Maybe a player decides to stop using combat cam. They need to be able to see progress because of it within 10 games.
As it stands, I think the MMR system works fairly well and works at an appropriate pace. All we need is a system that moves pips along with the MMR standing so I propose we change the way pips are rewarded.

Since it isn’t reasonable to base pip rewards on personal score within a match, I instead propose we base it on personal MMR. That means, of the spread of players currently in a match, you will either have the highest MMR, the lowest, or be somewhere in the middle. If you have the highest and win, you get extra pips. If you have the lowest and lose, you lose extra pips. It’s that simple really. It will push you into a bracket where players have similar rating values. Players who are too high for their division will move down so they don’t frustrate players in higher divisions. The same works for league players who log in to their alt accounts. It will also cause the number of pips you have to represent your rating.

In order for these changes to work, there will be an additional change required: That there be no divisions beyond legendary. No X2 X3 etc… Without an upper barrier, division ranking would have no meaning. There would also be no cap to prevent pip matchmaking spreads to reach too far. Queue times would expand or reach a point where matching is no longer optional.

Abuse

I’ve tried hard to consider in what possible ways these adjustments could lead to abuse. What happens if a pro league player duoQ’s with a vegetable? The best I can consider here is using a system that I believe is already in place. As a party, the MMR of the top player is considered to match the lower. Their party MMR is inflated as a result, causing the matching to put the better players on the enemy team. In that situation, the vegetable now has the lowest MMR, meaning a win results in the minimum rate of progression. The Pro-leaguer gets a large reward, placing him into more advanced brackets with his vegetable. I think the current system does well to disincentivize using vegetables for progression, or making a business out
of carrying vegetables to the iron throne.

Season 4

As we have it now, the player base is divided among 3 separate divisions, all of which each include the full spectrum of player skill levels and have little to no method of separation. People don’t want to play, populations are low, matching is now a mess and Q times are high because of it.

Pretty much, I had some old guildies try to trick me into a ranked match. They told me on TS that we was doing unranked, thought they caught me sleeping, I saw they was trying to queue me up for ranked. Left party asked why. Their response “We have lost the last 4 ranked matches and figured you can carry us.” Haven’t played with them since.

I want fun and competitive competition. Not to be forced to baby sit near brain dead gamers. 10/10 till ANet turns sPvP into a proper competition I will NEVER play a single ranked match in GW2 again.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: MagneHyakulegger.1064

MagneHyakulegger.1064

1. Not a problem
2. Not a problem
3. Not a problem
4. Not a problem

Finally, make it great “again”? There was a time where it was viewed as acceptable?

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Gamble.4580

Gamble.4580

There needs to be a class pvp match with a class leaderboard. 1v1

[UNTY] Unity guild -AG server
Asura -Thief

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

So let me get me straight, if a player is dumped in a match which he is bound to win he gets more pips? If a player is bound to lose in a match he lose more pips? How will that motivate people at the bottom to get better? Especially when the mmr is invisible. they will see + 1 for a win and – 2 for a loss and when they then look at a top player’s match they will + 2 for a win and – 1 for a loss. This will lead to very toxic feelings/behavior or simply people quitting pvp all together. In the long run the bottom players will stop playing and the new botom will suddenly start losing pips and they will stop playing as well. Some people may rise their mmr but the bottom will rise as well leaving those players with no progress as well.

EverythingOP

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Reaper Alim.4176

Reaper Alim.4176

So let me get me straight, if a player is dumped in a match which he is bound to win he gets more pips? If a player is bound to lose in a match he lose more pips? How will that motivate people at the bottom to get better? Especially when the mmr is invisible. they will see + 1 for a win and – 2 for a loss and when they then look at a top player’s match they will + 2 for a win and – 1 for a loss. This will lead to very toxic feelings/behavior or simply people quitting pvp all together. In the long run the bottom players will stop playing and the new botom will suddenly start losing pips and they will stop playing as well. Some people may rise their mmr but the bottom will rise as well leaving those players with no progress as well.

Well said. I find most GW2 sPvPers these days only really play now to get a free EGO boost. But like this guy said once those whom these guys farm leave the game’s sPvP the farmers become the farm animals, they lose their free effortless EGO boost and move on to another game where they can get it. Catering to the noncompetitive players in a competitive game mode only leads to the complete death in the end, for said game’s sPvP mode.

I maybe a troll with class.
But at least I admit it!
PoF guys get ready for PvE joys

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

So let me get me straight, if a player is dumped in a match which he is bound to win he gets more pips? If a player is bound to lose in a match he lose more pips? How will that motivate people at the bottom to get better?

People are motivated to get better when they play with others at their level and learn skills that help them progress. It’s only natural for people who start something competitive to begin at the bottom and work their way up.

It’s true that fair competition can drive people away, but nothing like that of an unfair competition.

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Tim.6450

So let me get me straight, if a player is dumped in a match which he is bound to win he gets more pips? If a player is bound to lose in a match he lose more pips? How will that motivate people at the bottom to get better?

People are motivated to get better when they play with others at their level and learn skills that help them progress. It’s only natural for people who start something competitive to begin at the bottom and work their way up.

It’s true that fair competition can drive people away, but nothing like that of an unfair competition.

That’s the entire problem, the entire system is set that the low mmr players get less pips for victories and lose more for losses while high mmr players get more for wins and lose less for victory. So low mmr players will experience an extrememly unfair competion because the system is preventing them from gaining pips, while they see other players get a system where they are bound to win pips. These low mmr players will leave because they don’t experience progress in this system and you get a system where the bottom will continue to rise trapping those that are rising. Those who are rising are not gaining any progress at all and will quit as well raising the bottom even further. You now have created a new bottom, those in the new bottom realise that they are back at square one and will quit as well.

EverythingOP

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

That’s the entire problem, the entire system is set that the low mmr players get less pips for victories and lose more for losses while high mmr players get more for wins and lose less for victory. So low mmr players will experience an extrememly unfair competion because the system is preventing them from gaining pips

I’m not sure where you’re coming from. All I’m saying is that if a player has too many pips for their skill level, the player should lose those pips. The logic behind my design says the only circumstance where they would lose more pips for losing a match is if their pip value was much higher than other players with the same MMR. It’s better to match players together who have similar MMR, so there needs to be some form of counter-inflation caused my match manipulation or pre-mades. Season 1 and 4 didn’t do that. Season 2 and 3 sorta did, but were unfairly biased towards win/loss streaks.

(edited by SneakyTouchy.6043)

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Ubik.8315

Ubik.8315

They need to remove the 50/50 mmr or the pip system entirely. Having both attempts at a matchmaker in one single queue is just ridiculous. Pick one or the other anet you idiots.

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Tim.6450

That’s the entire problem, the entire system is set that the low mmr players get less pips for victories and lose more for losses while high mmr players get more for wins and lose less for victory. So low mmr players will experience an extrememly unfair competion because the system is preventing them from gaining pips

I’m not sure where you’re coming from. All I’m saying is that if a player has too many pips for their skill level, the player should lose those pips. The logic behind my design says the only circumstance where they would lose more pips for losing a match is if their pip value was much higher than other players with the same MMR. It’s better to match players together who have similar MMR, so there needs to be some form of counter-inflation caused my match manipulation or pre-mades. Season 1 and 4 didn’t do that. Season 2 and 3 sorta did, but were unfairly biased towards win/loss streaks.

Let’s say you start ranked and after a bit of a win/lose situation consisting mostly on losing you finally reach first streak of 2 victories but immediately afterwards you lose 2 because you lost and were the lowest in your team. This would be extremely demotivating and will be considered unfair. Why because the system is set up in a way that they need 3 victories for every loss to gain pips.

EverythingOP

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Madman.6912

Madman.6912

“Removing pip safeties” – only if you start taking individual scores into consideration.. like top player won’t lose a pip … otherwise it is too much dependent on your team.

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

Let’s say you start ranked and after a bit of a win/lose situation consisting mostly on losing you finally reach first streak of 2 victories but immediately afterwards you lose 2 because you lost and were the lowest in your team. This would be extremely demotivating and will be considered unfair. Why because the system is set up in a way that they need 3 victories for every loss to gain pips.

That’s invalid. In true ranking, better players rank above the worse. It would be unfair to allow someone without ability to pass those with. That may feel unfair to a player who doesn’t play well, but that’s just and expression of poor sportsmanship.

That mindset is also completely counter-intuitive towards a method that matches players based on similar skill levels as it would would allow terrible players to have a high rank and good players to have a low rank. That makes no sense. That also creates an environment where everything is random and wins/losses have no meaning. Bad players fight against really good ones and get even further discouraged to continue playing. This is the problem we have right now.

“Removing pip safeties” – only if you start taking individual scores into consideration.. like top player won’t lose a pip … otherwise it is too much dependent on your team.

It wouldn’t matter because that’s only considering one game. If you don’t belong in the previous division, simply play more games.

(edited by SneakyTouchy.6043)

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Sismis.5390

Sismis.5390

It wouldn’t matter because that’s only considering one game. If you don’t belong in the previous division, simply play more games.

Look issue is not amount of games its just people doing Daily in RANKED and playing classes they not familiar with much. Second problem is 0 teamplay and basics every match I lost was cause Human errors. Not to mention teams I had god have mercy…Fight starts Aoe spamm gets on whole team scatters in all 4 direction and all lose benefit as TEAM from other classes .Guard out of range to cleanse,Ranger out of range to heal and so on.People doing tiny bit mistake in fight here and there and WHAM game lost.Then the toxicity starts you get name called and what ever going on and witch hunt who is to blame.While the whole team was doing mistakes and players not paying attention to those little things what could have won the game. So far every game lost was due to these HUMAN mistakes and everyone screams Toxicity and blames MM and the all mighty god. So far I been driven to the point I will not SOLO anymore and find me a PvP group. And people blame all sorts of things and what ever while 0 teamplay is currently present in Arena Pvp.

I was feeling a bit screw-loose so I…checked myself in.

(edited by Sismis.5390)

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

Look issue is not amount of games its just people doing Daily in RANKED and playing classes they not familiar with much. Second problem is 0 teamplay and basics every match I lost was cause Human errors.

A proper ranking system would help sort out the players who don’t take things seriously. Toxicity is another issue, a personal behavioral problem. Proper ranking again would probably help reduce that in higher ranks but it will always be present.

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Tim.6450

That’s invalid. In true ranking, better players rank above the worse. It would be unfair to allow someone without ability to pass those with. That may feel unfair to a player who doesn’t play well, but that’s just and expression of poor sportsmanship.

Sure giving only progress when they reach a +66% win rate while others with a win rate of +33% get progress is completely fair and those who don’t aggree with it are just people with poor sportmanship.

That mindset is also completely counter-intuitive towards a method that matches players based on similar skill levels as it would would allow terrible players to have a high rank and good players to have a low rank.

If good players have a poor rank then they simply didn’t win enough that’s all there is to it.

That makes no sense. That also creates an environment where everything is random and wins/losses have no meaning. Bad players fight against really good ones and get even further discouraged to continue playing. This is the problem we have right now.

No the problem we have now is that when players win they think they carried the match and when they lose, they think the match making gave them people who expect to be carried.

EverythingOP

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

They should do what LoL did which I feel psychologically improves game-play. Show the number of kills and the number of deaths. Feeders will be identified as if you die 10 times that’s 50 points. And great players will get rep. Also so players don’t misunderstand the point guards include points caped/decaped/ duration’s on point (Kind of like the towers and CS on LoL). This will ensure players know when they need to improve.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

Sure giving only progress when they reach a +66% win rate while others with a win rate of +33% get progress is completely fair and those who don’t aggree with it are just people with poor sportmanship.

That mindset is also completely counter-intuitive towards a method that matches players based on similar skill levels as it would would allow terrible players to have a high rank and good players to have a low rank.

If good players have a poor rank then they simply didn’t win enough that’s all there is to it.

That makes no sense. That also creates an environment where everything is random and wins/losses have no meaning. Bad players fight against really good ones and get even further discouraged to continue playing. This is the problem we have right now.

No the problem we have now is that when players win they think they carried the match and when they lose, they think the match making gave them people who expect to be carried.

The current season is designed to maintain 50% win ratios. This is necessary in order to evaluate skill levels. As a number of games are played, the system adjusts your MMR number according to how likely your team was predicted to win. If you win or lose often, your rating will change. This is an important quality that S1 and S4 has, but neither did well at sorting the playerbase for better matching later on.

If pip rewards were reactive towards your expected personal contribution based on rating, then your pip level would represent your rating. If the matchmaking system groups people together of similar pip levels, then player skill levels within a match will be closer together. This is what S2 and S3 did right, the problem was, without 50/50 distribution in matching for those seasons, the MMR ratings themselves were inaccurate, leading some to MMR hell and also pulling toxic individuals with little to contribute all the way up to legendary.

It is possible to make a system that uses the best of both systems. That’s all I’m asking for. It requires that people not be protected from losing rank.

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Tim.6450

The current season is designed to maintain 50% win ratios. This is necessary in order to evaluate skill levels. As a number of games are played, the system adjusts your MMR number according to how likely your team was predicted to win. If you win or lose often, your rating will change. This is an important quality that S1 and S4 has, but neither did well at sorting the playerbase for better matching later on.

If pip rewards were reactive towards your expected personal contribution based on rating, then your pip level would represent your rating. If the matchmaking system groups people together of similar pip levels, then player skill levels within a match will be closer together. This is what S2 and S3 did right, the problem was, without 50/50 distribution in matching for those seasons, the MMR ratings themselves were inaccurate, leading some to MMR hell and also pulling toxic individuals with little to contribute all the way up to legendary.

It is possible to make a system that uses the best of both systems. That’s all I’m asking for. It requires that people not be protected from losing rank.

When you give people pips based on their expected contribution the players that are esteemed good are carried to high pips and people that are esteemed bad are barred to gain pips. However this gain is not happening because of their efforts/skills but the system. These kind of system will feel incredible unfair and people on the bad end of the scale will quit. So if you want to achieve faster ladder placements you need to apply your bonuses towards effort/skill. Winstreak bonuses are a good example because everyone can get winstreaks and it is tied to effort/skill.

Also if pips are meant to represent you rating wouldn’t it be more logical to give the best player the loss penalty and the worst player the win penalty because that’s how mmr works (a bad player winning gets a higher rating increase when winning against the same team then a good player and a good player losing gets a higher decrease then a bad player against the same team)?

EverythingOP

(edited by Tim.6450)

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

To make PvP great they need to up their game.

1- 10v10 GvG with complete guild ranking and stats system. Not PvE mechanics that promote tanky builds, something like 2 TDM larger maps and 3 other maps with some objectives requiring more strategy.

2- Interface to save your build templates

3- Limit of 2 of a class per team

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

SneakyTouchy.6043

When you give people pips based on their expected contribution the players that are esteemed good are carried to high pips and people that are esteemed bad are barred to gain pips. However this gain is not happening because of their efforts/skills but the system. These kind of system will feel incredible unfair and people on the bad end of the scale will quit. So if you want to achieve faster ladder placements you need to apply your bonuses towards effort/skill. Winstreak bonuses are a good example because everyone can get winstreaks and it is tied to effort/skill.

Players on the bottom end of the scale would be there because of their lack of skill. There is no such thing as a progression method that satisfies prestige while allowing bad players to climb above good players. This is the natural order for a ranking system. People are supposed to fail. I highly doubt they will quit like you suspect. In fact, the real quitters are the players who thought this would be a serious ranking system and found out it instead worked your way.

In my system, matching within amber would be magnitudes easier and more enjoyable to play as a beginner compared to unranked. The matches would actually be fun. Quitting over being unable to progress would be a personal ego problem that nobody else should be forced to compensate for.

Having concern over those who are unsatisfied with the system because it highlighted their poor performance defeats the entire purpose of a ranking system. It becomes dishonorable and loses all competitive value. Those who are putting forth the effort aren’t being represented and that’s incredibly disrespectful.

Also if pips are meant to represent you rating wouldn’t it be more logical to give the best player the loss penalty and the worst player the win penalty because that’s how mmr works (a bad player winning gets a higher rating increase when winning against the same team then a good player and a good player losing gets a higher decrease then a bad player against the same team)?

No that’s backwards. The idea is to get pips to follow MMR, and let the MMR do the actual rating. Your MMR goes up the most when your team, despite an attempted 50/50 balance, ends up favoring the enemy. This means you may have been better than expected. If it continues to happen, your score gets bumped up incrementally over time. It works the same way in reverse as well, although typically in an MMR reset, you only move up from where you started.

If the matching pool is based on pips, and pips follow MMR by giving players with higher MMR more pips and takes more from those with the lowest, those players will be moved into brackets with other players who have similar MMR. If there were an MMR and pip reset for the 5th season, losing pips constantly shouldn’t be an issue. Your rank would simply get stuck until you improved.

Make sPvP Great Again

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Finally, make it great “again”? There was a time where it was viewed as acceptable?

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”