Match Manipulation - Solo/Duo Is The Problem

in PvP

Posted by: Trevor Boyer.6524

Trevor Boyer.6524

This might explain why the same people are topping the leaderboard every time. Truth is, every system has its flaws. The community wanted duo queue because 5man stomps are no fun, just reverting to 5man queue is not going to fix all of these problems, surely you must see that. Every “solution” would introduce new problems.

Like people have said, that is a hell of a lot of work for just a title. That’s it. Just enjoy the game and do what’s fun for you.

the comunity not wanted duo q, the great amount of players wanted pure solo, duo are introduced by anet cuz a minority of top vocals wanted it, thus they can retain in some sort control of matches playing with a asured other top(the “legal ones”), and cheat most others

That’s not true at all.

They ran a poll. Majority wanted duo queue. The polls were there, if people didn’t vote that’s their thing. I play with a buddy. Solo play is boring.

people voted for not being farmed for premades, duos are put in the equation by anet, they only gave two options, mixed q or solo/duo, people not voted specificaly for duos, its put as a “lesser evil” but experience proved that is a great evil like mixed q

I don’t know what everyone else thinks but I would rather choose losing to a full team that is actually trying, any day of the week, than losing because someone or two on my team is not trying at all.

I use the name Barbie on all of my characters.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Make it like wvw where names are not known.

anonymity would only serve the rule breakers.

I agree; it would only motivate the griefers to grief more..

Not sure I understand your logic. If you don’t’ know who is on your team or the enemy team, the high level players can’t throw matches on their alts and know who they are screwing over.

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

This might explain why the same people are topping the leaderboard every time. Truth is, every system has its flaws. The community wanted duo queue because 5man stomps are no fun, just reverting to 5man queue is not going to fix all of these problems, surely you must see that. Every “solution” would introduce new problems.

Like people have said, that is a hell of a lot of work for just a title. That’s it. Just enjoy the game and do what’s fun for you.

the comunity not wanted duo q, the great amount of players wanted pure solo, duo are introduced by anet cuz a minority of top vocals wanted it, thus they can retain in some sort control of matches playing with a asured other top(the “legal ones”), and cheat most others

That’s not true at all.

They ran a poll. Majority wanted duo queue. The polls were there, if people didn’t vote that’s their thing. I play with a buddy. Solo play is boring.

people voted for not being farmed for premades, duos are put in the equation by anet, they only gave two options, mixed q or solo/duo, people not voted specificaly for duos, its put as a “lesser evil” but experience proved that is a great evil like mixed q

I don’t know what everyone else thinks but I would rather choose losing to a full team that is actually trying, any day of the week, than losing because someone or two on my team is not trying at all.

They should make it solo only now that people that want to team up have tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: Josh.8507

Josh.8507

In NA at the top of the leaderboard that account has several people from ye team abjurred throw on it basically on a daily basis.But ofc they’ll continue to do it cuz anet has stopped caring about pvp

in PvP

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

“The floor is fairplay”

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

I see what you mean Faux but at this point I vouch for removing ranked entirely. If they have no plans to clean up this problem, just remove the broken and depraved game mode. At this point it serves only as a cesspool that is breeding cheating mentality that will seep into other aspects of the game. I mean seriously, the longer you let a pool of gamers get away with public glorified cheating in one area, they will find other areas to cheat in as well. Clearly, with no enforcement of the code of conduct. If anet doesn’t do something about this soon, they really will have a situation on their hands where too much of the player base is cheating to ever ban them unless they want to bury the population of GW2.

This problem is all from a lack of enforcing the code of conduct. If they had just been strict on all of this, no matter who it was that they caught, people would be afraid to break the code of conduct and I’m sure we’d see only a margin of about 10% or less of the player base partaking in this garbage instead of the majority.

But they are clearly allowing this to happen for whatever reason. Read this again:

• Reported violations of Rules of Conduct that have merit – ArenaNet may take any action, or no action whatsoever, based on communications regarding violation of the Rules of Conduct related to any Account, including but not limited to providing You with a warning, penalties, and in certain cases termination of an Account under Section 3(b). ArenaNet has no obligation to explain any decision to take any action, or no action whatsoever, based on communications regarding violation of the Rules of Conduct related to any Account.

They don’t have to prove or explain kitten to us to be able to suspend or ban obvious match manipulating activity. A techy hired on his first day could research IP activity, match history and point out that some two certain accounts who duo together are winning many matches and avoiding negative score due to some other mysterious account that always seems to be in the que with them, who is providing advantageous DC activity. It’s not hard to figure out and legally they don’t have to prove kitten to be able to ban an account, we all agreed to that. So why isn’t it being done? It’s a good question that more people need to be harping on anet about.

in PvP

Posted by: Dustin.2793

Dustin.2793

No one on top 10 in NA is throwing matches. I don’t know how people can be in such disbelief that people have a high win-rate in a dead game. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of players in MMOs are horrible at PvP. So when you combine that, with the fact that an extremely good duo will be forced into a match at 6-8 minutes, to be put with players hundreds of rating below them, is going to result in very one-sides matches. When top duos queue at the same time, it then becomes a game of who gets the vanilla staff guard, the condi thief gods, or players who are just known to guarantee you an auto-loss. So then you take turns losing 25-30 rating to only gain 6-8. That sounds fun, Woo!. I haven’t had one match this season where there were 10 good players in it.

In total I’ve had two games this season where someone deliberately threw. But in all honestly it didn’t trigger me and my duo queue partner that much because we just gain it back in 2-3 games. It’s the same thing on the EU leaderboard. They just farm noobs, what else is there to say that’s the reality.

Magic Toker // Thief // The Abjured
http://www.twitch.tv/magictoker

in PvP

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

No one on top 10 in NA is throwing matches. I don’t know how people can be in such disbelief that people have a high win-rate in a dead game. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of players in MMOs are horrible at PvP. So when you combine that, with the fact that an extremely good duo will be forced into a match at 6-8 minutes, to be put with players hundreds of rating below them, is going to result in very one-sides matches. When top duos queue at the same time, it then becomes a game of who gets the vanilla staff guard, the condi thief gods, or players who are just known to guarantee you an auto-loss. So then you take turns losing 25-30 rating to only gain 6-8. That sounds fun, Woo!. I haven’t had one match this season where there were 10 good players in it.

In total I’ve had two games this season where someone deliberately threw. But in all honestly it didn’t trigger me and my duo queue partner that much because we just gain it back in 2-3 games. It’s the same thing on the EU leaderboard. They just farm noobs, what else is there to say that’s the reality.

Remember when you got removed from the season five leaderboard for match manipulation?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Dustin.2793

Remember when you got removed from the season five leaderboard for match manipulation?

You still obsessed with me?

in PvP

Phineas Poe.3018

You still obsessed with me?

I just find it ironic someone that was removed from the leaderboards for match manipulation in a previous season doesn’t understand how other players might doubt the legitimacy of their win rating.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in PvP

Dustin.2793

Remember when you got removed from the season five leaderboard for match manipulation?[/quote]

You still obsessed with me? [/quote]

I just find it ironic someone that was removed from the leaderboards for match manipulation in a previous season doesn’t understand how other players might doubt the legitimacy of their win rating.[/quote]

Hey if someone has proof of foul play, someone trolling or dcing on purpose I encourage them to send it in for review. I’ve recorded numerous games this season for those purposes. Season 5 a lot of people griefed each other but I haven’t seen that yet from a top player. I’ve seen it from the usual suspects who I just report and don’t care to bicker with.

in PvP

Phineas Poe.3018

Q: What can be done to remedy this epidemic of cheating?
A: Allow 5 man teams as to prevent throw matches

They have tried to make five-man queues work in ranked PvP, and every time it has failed. First solo and team queue were split, but solo eventually died out and we were all forced into a dynamic queue together. Then they had guild teams, with a guild leaderboard. Very few participated in it, and it eventually died out too.

Worse yet, your argument that 5-man teams would prevent throwing, match manipulation, or general trolling is simply false. It’s not really match manipulation per se, but when ArenaNet set up rewards for the best guild teams of the season in Heart of Thorns, most of the top-end PvPers just ended up making multiple guild teams with the same rosters, stacking the leaderboard in their favor just in the same way players stack the leaderboard with alt accounts today.

Not only that, there also was rampant match manipulation in Stronghold back when you could queue for it in ranked, where players would team up during off-hours and trade wins throwing games with alt accounts. Some people even went beyond that point and sold wins for gold. It was around this point I uninstalled the game and went over to Black Desert, and I’m sure I wasn’t alone in that.

The simple fact is that players will always attempt to manipulate matches or leaderboards in their favor regardless of what’s done, and these continual attempts over the years have eroded what little momentum the game mode ever had. Even season five was perceptively the “healthiest” PvP ever was, and it was also in the end ruined by match manipulation in the community’s highest echelons. The status quo is a direct byproduct of that furthered erosion, and while I quit BDO and came back to GW2 to participate in season five, I haven’t really seen a reason to tell my friends to come back to the game just yet, and if it wasn’t for this month’s WvW update, I’d probably be playing BDO again.

The only fix to rampant match manipulation is having a large enough sample size of players to make it harder to do. Even in games like Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds that are literally among the most played games on the PC currently, you still see match manipulation with “teamers” in solo queue, but it’s a far less egregious and significantly more rare problem because it’s just too hard to get put into the same game together even if you hit the “play” button all at the same time. This is why splitting the playerbase among more game modes is just not going to work, and it’s also why a solo/team queue system will never work either.

The game just doesn’t have a large enough population to even make a balanced dynamic queue. The only real solution to fixing ranked PvP match manipulation is an influx of players, which we all know just isn’t likely going to happen. Accept the situation for what it is, hide in 2v2 custom lobbies, or just queue into automated tournaments every eight hours. Those are really your only options moving forward without some major revisions to the game mode and its ranked system.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in PvP

Posted by: Ryan.9387

Ryan.9387

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Ranger | Elementalist

in PvP

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Once a cheater always a cheater, LUL

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in PvP

Phineas Poe.3018

Hey if someone has proof of foul play, someone trolling or dcing on purpose I encourage them to send it in for review. I’ve recorded numerous games this season for those purposes.

That’s very nice to hear, but at this point it all feels like a lost cause, if not entirely pointless. I know you and I are on very different ends on the spectrum of player skill, at least as it pertains to PvP, so it perhaps doesn’t really matter that I say this, but I don’t see why there’s any reason for anyone to get invested in ranked PvP moving forward given the status quo, and I don’t really plan on participating in any ranked PvP seasons moving forward for that reason. So, yeah … you can report people and feel good about yourself like you’re making the world a better place, but the damage has already been done to ranked PvP—a large part of which is on the basis of your own previous actions.

At this point automated tournaments are just a much more stable and entertaining gameplay experience for both casual and hardcore players, and the drama surrounding ranked PvP matchmaking and its lack of population has become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Each season is just going to be worse than the previous one without some major revisions, and while I’m sure ArenaNet has something planned for PvP with the upcoming expansion, I doubt it has very much to do with conquest or even ranked PvP at all.

And at this point, why should they? This community has done very little to warrant any effort on ArenaNet’s part to continue supporting ranked PvP, as any changes they make only end up being a temporary fix or ruined by the antics of sweaty teenagers.

The e-sports scene is completely dead and deserves to be, and it’s probably in ArenaNet’s best interest to flesh out PvP with new rule sets and game modes and completely ignore people like yourself outside of automated tournaments for the rest of this game’s shelf life.

The only constants to this game mode from 2012 through 2017 are the severe lack of population and the literally ensconced toxicity surrounding the high-end PvP community. I can’t imagine that ArenaNet has not yet recognized the correlation between those two premises and realized it might be in their best interest to push PvP in newer directions.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

(edited by Phineas Poe.3018)

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

Make it like wvw where names are not known.

anonymity would only serve the rule breakers.

I agree; it would only motivate the griefers to grief more..

Not sure I understand your logic. If you don’t’ know who is on your team or the enemy team, the high level players can’t throw matches on their alts and know who they are screwing over.

I think it is because we are talking about 2 different things;
I am talking about people who throw matches just because they can, which is also match manipulation.

You are talking about controlled manipulation with a goal. Which, in this case, helps indeed if you make everyone unknown.

But they’ll find a way to counter it, by gesturing certain gestures or some sort of other lango, eventually

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

think about it for a second. if people think someone is manipulating a match but don’t know their name, how exactly does that help?
bolded section: so they don’t know who they are screwing over. how exactly does that help? or who, rather?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in PvP

Trevor Boyer.6524

When people run match manipulation tactics they generally form a clique or have been brought into the clique by so and so and whomever. The idea is to support each other’s wins through match manipulation, not accidentally get matches against one another. Long story short, if they had no way of seeing who was online, in a que or on the other team, it would be more difficult to orchestrate these now meta tactics.

You also have cases where they run across players who are not in their click. Do they like this player? Do they feel bad for throwing on him? Maybe they will choose not to throw because they like the player or don’t want to incur the social stigma that will follow if they do. Do they dislike this player? Is he a disliked player who they want to snipe? Maybe it’ll just be funny to throw on him because they don’t like him or maybe he is climbing too high in the rankings. Again, much more difficult to orchestrate such sabotage if you simply don’t know who you’re que’ing against.