New PvP system, Tournaments should be removed

in PvP

Posted by: S H A K U R AS.9536

S H A K U R AS.9536

Sorry for my English not being too good, I hope everyone understands what I wanted to share. I made an effort to make sure everything is clear.

I waited really long before creating this post, but I decided it’s time for it. I never thought of quitting Guild Wars 2 after just a few months from release. I spent five or six years, exclusively in PvP. I won gold trim, tons of silvers and spent long time on the ‘top’. I was against removing monks, interrupts and 5vs5 but w/e, nobody listened GW1 players, because WoW/MOBA people have to be made happy. Now, when 90% of initial playerbase have left (expecially those coming from GW1), it’s time to reflect on few things. One of my guildies quit after not having anything to play for. Play for QPs?! No, QPs are nothing. People want traditional rating with POINTS for WINs and LOSEs, not QPs which indicate only HOW MUCH I’VE BEEN PLAYING. The biggest Polish GW2 forums are dead, because 90% people have quit. Approximately 10% of PvP people who are still playing this game, are playing PvE (or log in hopelessly waiting for some SIGNIFICANT changes). I don’t know any TOP GW1 PvP player still playing this game. This says a lot…

1) Tournaments are a joke. I don’t understand why Anet removed standard ladder where everything was clear. You won, you received +x points, you lost, you lost some. It also allowedpeople to be matched with players on their level. New people were protected, because they wouldn’t play with players above their level. But no, Anet is obviously the wisest… now, people are being farmed in both Free and Paid Tournaments by ~6-7 teams. Great fun…

Firstly, Free and Paid Tournaments should be removed and Anet finally should apologise their players for creating this situation and we should get normal e-sport game.
So:

Ladder game where GUILDS!!! (NOT TEAMS) are playing for rank. If I’m winning, I’m playing against better opponents. If I’m losing, I’m being matched against relatively weaker opponents. That’s all, so easy and simple. If I decide this map is going to be my GUILD map I want to play on it. I click ready, match up and… let the fun begin. There is even place for gems reward. If a guild reaches a significant level of rating (for example 1200+), they can get gems like champion points in GW1.

Thing that should follow are daily ATs just like in GW1. If I lose, I don’t immediately lose a tournament. I want to play against other losers and still be able to get a second place!

And the last thing MAT’s.

After getting QPs from Daily AT’s, I can play MAT. You could create swiss tournament and after 1 week invite top 16 guilds for a big tournament. All you need is some effort, the right systems are there (created for GW1). Don’t make new ones that bear no sense.

2) Rewards from PvP.

Why when I play PvP I can’t sell ANYTHING? Can somebody explain to me why PvE players can farm gold and PvP players can’t? When I played GW1 I was winning Zaishen Keys, champion strongboxes and random gifts (cakes etc.) which I could sell in PvE. Why can’t I do it now? I won hundreds of tournaments and I didn’t earn anything of any practical use in either PvP nor PvE!

3) Game systems – I think you should create maps (or rather a game mode) where the goal is to kill the guild lord, not capture points. A map where I’m required to kill the lord, a map with flag stand, some kind of obelisks providing buffs and with a strong emphasis on defence of your base (NPCs?). It will be 100 times more interesting and engaging than boring and soulless point capturing.

Death Penalty (DP) was another good system in GW1. Now, when all you do is capturing points (on a side note, I remember Alliance Battles being CTP in GW1, not even considered a PvP and definitely not living up to PvP standards) is obsolete, but in a mode and a proper map where u don’t capture points you could definitely think about incorporating the DP. The game would become much more interesting with many more playstyles than guardian mid, sec guard/necro first point, tank ele third point and 2 roamers…

That’s all for now and I didn’t even get into anything about observer mode, GUILD halls and many other things, but at the moment there are more important concerns. So Anet, we are waiting for your answers, why is it impossible to make the game that we all want to play and why are you killing this game’s PvP community. If you haven’t named this game GUILD WARS, majority of PvP players would probably never buy it. Now is the time and chance to change the game to something people really want. Something, we – the players want, not what YOU WANT, but what WE want. WE, the people that bought this game, trusted you with their money, YOUR CUSTOMERS and PROVIDERS.

If you feel the same write here and let Anet see that people don’t like THEIR PvP and want real changes!

(edited by S H A K U R AS.9536)

in PvP

Posted by: Courageous Mithos.8745

Courageous Mithos.8745

I agree that Laddering should be returned. It is supposed to be “Guild” Wars, but unfortunatly, everything in a “Guild” is pretty much useless. It just feels like an extended friend list.

I’m not a big fan of sPvP in general, that is basically the old AB battles, while I was a big fan with the base and Guild Lord principle (I do like the map with a Guild Lord in it).

The battles are pretty short, repetitive and get boring fast. I’m not getting quite the thrill I used to have when doing 8 vs 8 in Guild Wars 1. It just feels like RA or AB, where the motive and excitement is rather low

in PvP

Posted by: Beast.9516

Beast.9516

If you only PvP, what use would you have with gold?

Beast [Beastess Isdottir][Meilikki Isdottir][Kaunista Illusio][Savant Bixxie]
Aspiring Brotherhood [PACT]
Fort Aspenwood

in PvP

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

I like tournaments.

in PvP

Posted by: monochrome.9841

monochrome.9841

Gold is always needed – if u dont spend most time in pvp u would not undestand. I dont even feel like explaining in lenght why, but the two first things would be:
- why alienate pvp players from other parts of the game? If u are very good pvp player and want to go to www just to kill noobs u wont have equal ground with ppl who have gold and buy better eq. Isnt it enough that u cant show your pvp progres, skins in other part of the world than mist?
- with gold u can buy a lot of vanity items – like pets and costumes that aint available to pvp players in any way. U cant buy more bag slots, bank slots, character slot – which are in big demand without any system to remember and bring different builds at demand (and dont bring here GEMS from paid becaus its only available to few to tier players who farm it, and paids are always so slow; ppl need wait sometimes an hour to get 8 teams)

“Professionals… are predictable; the world is full
of dangerous amateurs.” Murphy’s Law
Mr Mooo → Piken Square

in PvP

Posted by: Tarisuca.3142

Tarisuca.3142

I feel the same way. I spend a lot of time playing GW1 PvP and I used to be hyped for GW2. But then I realized that GW2 is just for casual players. Anet made a lot of promises and even used the word “esport” which is the reason why so many players (including myself) are so disappointed now. The majority of the real PvP players already left the game and I also think that sPvP has less competition than GW1 PvP which shows how bad sPvP is designed.
You want Anet to work on sPvP now. But why should they? They got your money. You have to realize that the PvP community is <1% of the whole GW2 playerbase. (When they game was released…)

GW1: Tarisuka The Monk, GW2: Warmonk Tarisuca
Get Ready Save Glory Boost [GrDy] RiP

in PvP

Posted by: Jarlaxe.4607

Jarlaxe.4607

u can sell it for $$$. Thats pretty much how most ppl made money of pvp in gw1. Selling Z-keys and gold.

If this game wouldnt be such a fail then this wouldnt be needed coz good players would make money from streaming, just like they do in sc2 or lol. Problem is on avrg at twitch around 200-250 ppl are watching all gw2 streams. Compare it to lol where 1 guy can get 20000-25000 ppl watching.

in PvP

Posted by: Eeeee.3048

Eeeee.3048

I pretty much spent all my GW1 time in PvP, predicted I’d get bored of GW2 PvP ~1 month after launch, and I was correct! Going from 6 game modes to only 1 got boring quite quick. Anyway, one of the things I spoke to a friend about today was the PvP rewards.
I agree, I do not understand why they didn’t keep that from GW1.

It was really nice I could spend most of my time in GW1 PvP and then when I found new friends that wanted to try some PvE(Anything is fun with friends..), I could fully upgrade my armor and my heroes with the money I had aquired in PvP(Zkeys).
If you spend a lot of time now in GW2 PvP you have nothing to show for it, you’ll be crippled once you get to PvE, considering how hard it is to get maxed gear in this game, everyone else will be miles ahead of you.
It’s really odd.

Anyway, do what I did and just play PvE to pass the time. Or just take a break and see how the game is in ~2 years :P.

in PvP

S H A K U R AS.9536

I pretty much spent all my GW1 time in PvP, predicted I’d get bored of GW2 PvP ~1 month after launch, and I was correct! Going from 6 game modes to only 1 got boring quite quick. Anyway, one of the things I spoke to a friend about today was the PvP rewards.
I agree, I do not understand why they didn’t keep that from GW1.

It was really nice I could spend most of my time in GW1 PvP and then when I found new friends that wanted to try some PvE(Anything is fun with friends..), I could fully upgrade my armor and my heroes with the money I had aquired in PvP(Zkeys).
If you spend a lot of time now in GW2 PvP you have nothing to show for it, you’ll be crippled once you get to PvE, considering how hard it is to get maxed gear in this game, everyone else will be miles ahead of you.
It’s really odd.

Anyway, do what I did and just play PvE to pass the time. Or just take a break and see how the game is in ~2 years :P.

True, this PvP is boring, its 3 map where u are doing the same, cap the point, hold point gg you won, the new map is the same. U need create new map, but first if somebody gonna take srs “esport” gw2 (if ofc somebody have a little bit knowledge what means word “esport”) this game need SRS ladder not joke ladder like now, latter new maps and observer. But this things are need NOW cause after half year this game will be dead, pple from gw2 will make succes in other games like dota2/lol and nobody gonna play again this game.

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Shaku, Noooooooo!

@on topic:

I agree and I’ve been a sound supporter of all similar feedback and suggestions that have been storming the forums since BWEs.

Unfortunately for us, poor customers, we are being neglected. (I almost feel like D3 crowd)

Anet, we deserve better. Now, your time is over. Act or pay the price and this is business, you can make the same mistake only once.

Leman

(edited by leman.7682)

in PvP

S H A K U R AS.9536

Shaku, Noooooooo!

@on topic:

I agree and I’ve been a sound supporter of all similar feedback and suggestions that have been storming the forums since BWEs.

Unfortunately for us, poor customers, we are being neglected. (I almost feel like D3 crowd)

Anet, we deserve better. Now, your time is over. Act or pay the price and this is business, you can make the same mistake only once.

They probbly think that all pple gonna play again when they finally do sth after 2 years^^

(edited by S H A K U R AS.9536)

in PvP

Posted by: patryk.8260

patryk.8260

Shaku is 100% right. Pvp in this game is a joke. It is completely not thrilling. I remember these emotions while playing gvg in gw1 years ago. Now i just log in to chat 5 mins and I leave (like every friend). What i would like to add to the 1st post is that i HATE leavers on these “arenas”. In gw1 there were some restrictions where people had to at least run and try to play. Here, when people start to lose by lets say 40 points, they tend to leave you completely alone. Gw1 had best pvp content in comparison to every mmo game ive ever played. Another point is e- sport stuff. Its totally not here, why? I remember you saying that this game will be 100% esport game with streams, tournaments etc. Seems like a government before the elections… I know gw1 has 7 years and was developed over time, but upon the release it was really compelling game. Here there is like totally no pvp, even most hardcore players left coz there is nothing to spend points on. Eh..

in PvP

Posted by: Sifter.9716

Sifter.9716

IMO actual tournaments should not be removed, but should be renamed (to random tournament or something) and new type of tournaments should be added. I think about GW1’s daily tournaments. That was great idea, ppl could play them 3 times per day so “all” interested players were gathered in one group. Thats important problem of GW2’s tournaments.

My feelings after winning GW2 tournament: Hell yeah, We are the best team… compared to 7 other… that circumstantially wanted to play at the same time as We… I want to play PvP cause I like to compare myself to rest, but I cant cause current style of pvp wont let me to.

My feelings after GW1 tournament (HB exaclty, 1v1 arena): Hell yeah, I may not be the best, but I faced about 90 ppl. I want to play next tournament tomorrow. I saw tournament roster, I saw whole list of my enemies, my current score. I know how good I am, etc, etc, whole “climbing up the ladder”. While gw2 has no such thing, all I can do is check if I can beat 7 random teams.

TL;DR:
GW1 has great PvP tools (tournaments, ladder, guilds, a lot of maps/game types, templates, REWARDS worth some ingame money, observator mode…)
GW2 completly lacks nearly everything… (only pvp items’ npc and skins are done at decent level)

Why not just copy all that stuff from GW1 to GW2??

in PvP

Posted by: Czyzek.9327

Czyzek.9327

I agree, PvP in gw2 need a change. Things like ladder, private servers, obs mode, rewards which we can use in pve(z-keyes in gw1) has to be done, but not in 4, 5 or 6 months, this game need them atm, otherwise there will be absolutely no people left and no one gonna come back, too. GW1 has perfect pvp, as Sifter said, copy thnigs like tournament system, ladder, general gameplay target(killing 1 NPC), but make it fit to 5v5 format. This game needs only little things like that, to attract people.

in PvP

Posted by: Trippen.3408

Trippen.3408

Why you gotta hate on MOBAs and WoW’s arena

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

I agree to a GW1 player GW2 is too different from GW1: lack of game systems and greatly dumbed-down & WOW-ified skill/build system.

Main reasons why GW2 stPVP has failed:
1) lack of build choice/diversity, fixed weapon skills are too limiting
2) conquest game type is boring and repetitive
3) crappy balance: instagibbing new players in <2sec is just crazy stupid for game longevity
4) downed state

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Dsquaredcri.9421

Dsquaredcri.9421

I can asnwer you simply.

This is not gw1

btw i agree and many players agree too, that ladders system, matchmaking and more and more features MUST be added!

Waiting for Jonathan Sharp

Dsquaredcri, necro for Rush team

in PvP

S H A K U R AS.9536

I can asnwer you simply.

This is not gw1

btw i agree and many players agree too, that ladders system, matchmaking and more and more features MUST be added!

Waiting for Jonathan Sharp

Srs bro, this is not gw1, but THIS IS GW2, so its should be continuation of gw1.

This game shouldn’t be name GUILD WARS 2. Because it’s completely other game.

Watch on other games
sc and sc2
dota and dota 2
etc

Here its just name.

in PvP

Posted by: Dsquaredcri.9421

Dsquaredcri.9421

y the name is wrong.. But someone told me that the current devs are not the same as gw1 in the past.. so …

Dsquaredcri, necro for Rush team

in PvP

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Yeah, Jonathan Sharp is more of a Quake than GW guy.

It quite explains why Conquest is as it is. It may be good for Quake fans (I have no proof it actually is), but it definitely doesn’t for me, an average GW fan.

Leman

in PvP

Posted by: Wooyadeen.6491

Wooyadeen.6491

Its really unfair situation for pvp players, pve player can play pve and www. If you playing sPvP only, u cant play www (since u r not gona have founds to go to waypoint when u r killed.

Its a shame, they call this game GuildWars but i didnt see guild warr so far… They call this game PvP MMO but they favoring PVE…

PvP players here in this game r orphaned.

Someone deceived us without big reason.

in PvP

Posted by: Theutus.3840

Theutus.3840

It bugs me when people say things like “90% of the playerbase quit”, when we all know that 97% of all statistics are made up…

in PvP

S H A K U R AS.9536

It bugs me when people say things like “90% of the playerbase quit”, when we all know that 97% of all statistics are made up…

Did u see heart of the mist 3 months ago and now?

in PvP

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I can’t earn PvP rewards in PvE and it shouldn’t be the other way around. Keep the gold farming out of PvP, let the PvE currencies be exclusive to PvE. If you want a rank emote or flashy PvP armour you have to earn it in PvP. PvP players shouldn’t have their cake and eat it to while the rest of us get a one sided deal.

in PvP

S H A K U R AS.9536

I can’t earn PvP rewards in PvE and it shouldn’t be the other way around. Keep the gold farming out of PvP, let the PvE currencies be exclusive to PvE. If you want a rank emote or flashy PvP armour you have to earn it in PvP. PvP players shouldn’t have their cake and eat it to while the rest of us get a one sided deal.

Agree, thats is the reson why pvp players should sell their stuff, then pple from pve can buy PvP title for gold like they could in gw1, where they could buy zkeys and open chest.

in PvP

Posted by: Yawg.1294

Yawg.1294

When will GW2 be released? The answer was always “when it’s done”… The state of the game at release (and now) would be ok for PvE/WvW but sPvP clearly looks to be far from even 50% finished. It lacks just so much basic stuff, most already mentioned in this thread.

Personally I think the 8-team tournaments are fine BUT they are and should be the LOWEST competition level (only above the hot-joins). There’s a need for higher level tournaments, like Daily, Weekly and Monthly, with “Swiss” system (like GW1 ATS) or at least a “double elimination” structure and of course much higher profile rewards.

I also think it is very important to completely rework the rewards on all levels of PvP play. I also think it really should be a normal thing to earn wealth (things usable/sellable for a PvE player) just like you can from playing other game modes. PvP shouldn’t depend on anything from other game modes but some rewards from playing PvP should be useful elsewhere and be sellable. For example, salvaging the PvP reward gear could in addition to the usual stuff also give some PvE materials (including a chance for ectos or other rare mats, higher chances for higher tier items). Some sellable rewards are needed on all levels of PvP play to make PvP more attractive to players who mostly play PvE/WvW.

But there’s also a desperate need to make the game and it’s rewards attractive for the e-sport players. In the current state it isn’t at all. They demand serious tournaments with real world prizes and/or other long term goals, they need a reason to spend hundreds of hours to master this game. GW2 desperately needs infrastructure for third parties to organize such tournaments and a meaningful ranking system. Also, more communication from Anet – no communication for many players means no hope for the future of GW2 PvP, so they quit or don’t even start for real.

(edited by Yawg.1294)

in PvP

Posted by: Air Rage.4870

Air Rage.4870

I agree with the desire for a variety in PVP.

I remember there being JQ, FA, AB RA in GW1, I would like more variety in PVP modes instead of just capturing points. I think there should be two varieties of PVP, one which is mostly objective based like FA, JQ etc, and the other being for the guys who like arena type of fighting.

in PvP

Posted by: I Am Overrated.3812

I Am Overrated.3812

I was going to go all out in this game and shoot to be a straight PvP player but there is no incentive to be a PvP player in this game. You can be a WvW player or PvE player but if you are a PvP player you are neglected and forgotten.

It wasnt hard Anet, it really wasnt. All you had to do was make a game just like GW1 with some minor changes and innovations, but keeping all the principles the same. If you have read this thread you would see that a majority of people loved the PvP in GW1. It was original, fun, rewarding, and competitive!!! The PvP now? What, I capture points and fight every once and a while for a minute or two? Seriously, in the current PvP you spend more time sitting on a point or running to a point than you actually do PvPing. In GW1 it was quite literally a constant back and forth battle (given the other team was at the same skill level) of epic proportions where players were forced to FIGHT in order to win a game, not run around and capture points…

Anet, your game will not be an Esport with its current PvP format. People don’t enjoy playing it much less watching it. The top GW2 PvP streamers have at most 200 viewers. That says something when in other games like SC2 or LoL the top streamers have close 5k or more. People who are hardly known in those games get numbers that top PvP streamers in GW2 dream of having. That right there, indicates this games PvP isn’t entertaining to watch.

Anet, do something now or you’re going to miss your chance.

in PvP

Posted by: patryk.8260

patryk.8260

its a bit sad that in “guild wars” you have no “guild wars” eh..

in PvP

Posted by: MaXi.3642

MaXi.3642

considering how hard it is to get maxed gear in this game

this makes me laugh…

its a bit sad that in “guild wars” you have no “guild wars” eh..

guild wars is a name from its lore, not from game mode

in PvP

Posted by: Prinzkaos.4052

Prinzkaos.4052

100% agreed. The game fighting style is great but the pvp system really really i mean REALLY SUCK!!!. downing players wtf is that? i mean if i kill you i kill you. then i call you noob. we just need some 1v1,2v2,3v3 and 5v5 arena. yeah w/e like wow. i said it. i say the magic word wow. GW2 NEED TO BE MORE LIKE WOW. not like gw2 or w/e this pvp system is call. we need a real pvp game. VOTE FOR ARENA. VOTE NOW NOOBS!!!

in PvP

Posted by: Fire.7459

Fire.7459

The best post i’ve seen in this forum DEV WAKE UP THIS GAME DYING IN PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Raiden Gr.3167

Raiden Gr.3167

we just need some 1v1,2v2,3v3 and 5v5 arena. yeah w/e like wow. i said it. i say the magic word wow. GW2 NEED TO BE MORE LIKE WOW. not like gw2 or w/e this pvp system is call. we need a real pvp game. VOTE FOR ARENA. VOTE NOW NOOBS!!!

I have nothing against WoW players, but really guys, WoW Arenas are the simpliest PvP mode of Guild Wars 1.

Guild Wars 2 PvP should be more like Guild Wars 1 PvP.

For all of you guys that don’t know what we are talking about here.
Random Arenas (RA) = 4v4 random teams
Team Arenas (TA) = 4v4 premade teams
Aliance Battles (AB) = 12v12 almost like GW2 spvp
Heroe’s Ascent (HA) = 8v8 premade teams playing on standard maps
Guild vs Guild (GvG) = 8v8 premade guild teams playing playing on standards maps called guild halls

Wins at RA and TA gave progress to a certain title.
Wins at HA gave progress to a certain title + rank emote + items if you won at the last map (only a winning team progress to the next round)
Wins and loses at GvG had impact on the guild ladder and above a certain ELO rating wins gave progress to a certain title. There are also worldwide tournaments where guilds from all the game servers participated.

All these modes had 1 thing in common. We had to win the game in order to win something and not just to farm.

So I also agree with most of the GW 1 players, GW2 PvP should be like GW1 PvP

in PvP

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

Agree. Honestly, Capture the point is nice mode, but it forces players do bunker or zergfest the points. Capture The Flag is way more teamplay and challanging as for me. Besides brilliant modes from GW1, I’d like to see spectator mode. This feature was really cool in GW1. When I was having some break or waiting for FoW run, I could just enjoy watching top players taking parts in GvG.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

in PvP

S H A K U R AS.9536

25 people should be enough, Anet now i would like read ur opinion …