PVP Needs Tutorial - pls comment if agree

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

How many threads, how many posts and how many times do we as a community have to ask before a tutorial is implemented in spvp?

Personally, I applaud Anet’s efforts to attract more (new) players to pvp, but…. The skill level of new players entering ranked is laughable at times. Unlike a lot of people, I don’t blame the newbies for being clueless potatoes, I blame Anet for not giving them the necessary tools to learn.

GW2 is overall lacking in anything resembling a tutorial in any game mode. However it is becoming increasingly evident how critical the need is for a tutorial in pvp.

A while back, with help from the community we put together: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Things-I-Wish-I-d-Known

More threads on needing a tutorial and some suggestions:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/PvP-Needs-a-basic-tutorial/first#post6435762

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Plan-sPvP-Tutorial-Redux/first#post6433389

Is it not glaringly obvious this is something the community wants and is willing to help create?

Please leave a brief comment if you agree we need a tutorial in pvp and or any other suggestions you have for including/creating a tutorial system.

Edit: My hope is to make this thread so large it cannot be ignored.

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/

(edited by MissCee.1295)

in PvP

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

I agree, I think it could be something like a match against npc’s that explains how each mechanic functions and shows people the basics of pvp. If it could talk about rotation at all that’d be a great function so people could get in that habit early rather than trying to learn with people screaming at them “LEARN TO ROTATE YOU NOOB” albeit with much harsher words thrown in there that would get me infracted.

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

This game needs bot mode like other games have it. You don’t get much rewards from those but you can practice in those matches. If Blizz and Riot manage to create bots that follow payload, destroy towers, group up for fights, chose different routers etc. i am sure Anet could make simple bots that go for 2 points and try to defend.

in PvP

MissCee.1295

This game needs bot mode like other games have it. You don’t get much rewards from those but you can practice in those matches. If Blizz and Riot manage to create bots that follow payload, destroy towers, group up for fights, chose different routers etc. i am sure Anet could make simple bots that go for 2 points and try to defend.

I agree. I also believe that until we as a community demand it Anet will not act.

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

After all the hate hitting new players and chasing them off Yes Please!

In the meantime it would be super great if people offered to help them.

But ultimately we need people to have a better tutorial then just hey get to level 20 in unranked. Unranked is a terrible breeding ground for bad tactics. Vet players go there to try out new things and to be more casual. Now add to that 5 man teams needing to practice and you have a not so great place for throwing the new players into.

A better training program would do so much for pvp, with simple core rotation strategies, map education and awareness.

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yes please, people need to know that when a target is called it’s best for everyone on your team if you target them too. Tue amount of matches I’ve had where a target is called but ignored by half the team so they can try and have a 1vs1 at middle is just not funny anymore, It’s sad and tragic.

Also people need to know that points do not cap faster if 2 people are on them. I had someone tell me that they do. He ran from middle to close to help me re cap and empty point.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Nightshade.2570

Yes please, people need to know that when a target is called it’s best for everyone on your team if you target them too. Tue amount of matches I’ve had where a target is called but ignored by half the team so they can try and have a 1vs1 at middle is just not funny anymore, It’s sad and tragic.

Also people need to know that points do not cap faster if 2 people are on them. I had someone tell me that they do. He ran from middle to close to help me re cap and empty point.

Wow well that makes sense now as to why some people stay with me when I am capping a point.

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

Wow well that makes sense now as to why some people stay with me when I am capping a point.

I cam see why they would think it. I think that’s how it worked in Faction Battles in GW1. The more people on the point the faster it capped. It should take much for people to work out that points don’t work like that in GW2, but it seems that some people still think this is true. But you can’t really blame them, It’s not like they where told in a tutorial or anything. They where just thrown in and told to swim.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|

in PvP

Nightshade.2570

A Mentor system put in game would be nice. With vet Players queueing up voluntarily with new players to teach them the core concepts of the game. With a unique title for doing it over time for the Vets ect.

Heres a rough draft of the idea that I wrote on my other thread, “Stop the new player/pve player hate”

What if there was a LFG where people could mentor up, Or a system like that where An experienced player could volunteer to play with a new player. Both parties getting something unique like an achievement title or something like that, maybe a bit of gold. NOTHING HUGE, just to encourage both sides of the fence. The mentor side could only queue up based on a minimum number of games and rating, and the newer players could only queue up for it after they complete a tutorial and have less then X number of games accountwide.
A Mentor LFG would be nice, specifically for parties of two. This could even be a requirement before entering ranked.

(edited by Nightshade.2570)

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

I agree that sPvP needs a tutorial, it could be something that has them start a “Match” with NPCs similar to the Test dummy NPCs in the HotM that go to specifics nodes following what the main/basic Strategy is, then go over the basic objectives/game play elements, and at certain thresholds have the match force the player to do another objective i.e. Decap far/recap home/secondary objectives. And make it so the tutorial doesn’t progress in anyway until the objective is met. Make the UI point out the location of enemy Classes say a Thief/Mesmer Decap using the built in Ping system to promote Map awareness.

And have approriate tutorial hi appear and with Map pings to show on map and so on. and last but not least have the Tutorial do this for the 3 main Maps, Foefire,Temple, and Forest.

Have this as soon as any new player or player under sPvP rank 20 has to do this mandatory before being able to Queue in Unranked.

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

in PvP

Nightshade.2570

Add a Play against NPCS mode. Where people can team up to play against random NPCs, I would like to play against Tybalt, and Nikka, all of those guys from stronghold

in PvP

MissCee.1295

Add a Play against NPCS mode. Where people can team up to play against random NPCs, I would like to play against Tybalt, and Nikka, all of those guys from stronghold

LoL, Overwatch etc have a bot/npc mode for newbies to try out and learn. It has mentioned many many times on the forums here. Truly don’t understand, why after almost 5yrs, GW2 doesn’t have something similar.

in PvP

BrotherBelial.3094

I agree that sPvP needs a tutorial, it could be something that has them start a “Match” with NPCs similar to the Test dummy NPCs in the HotM that go to specifics nodes following what the main/basic Strategy is, then go over the basic objectives/game play elements, and at certain thresholds have the match force the player to do another objective i.e. Decap far/recap home/secondary objectives. And make it so the tutorial doesn’t progress in anyway until the objective is met. Make the UI point out the location of enemy Classes say a Thief/Mesmer Decap using the built in Ping system to promote Map awareness.

And have approriate tutorial hi appear and with Map pings to show on map and so on. and last but not least have the Tutorial do this for the 3 main Maps, Foefire,Temple, and Forest.

Have this as soon as any new player or player under sPvP rank 20 has to do this mandatory before being able to Queue in Unranked.

If have everyone have to do this, and make it unskipable.

in PvP

Posted by: Roxory.9854

Roxory.9854

How many threads, how many posts and how many times do we as a community have to ask before a tutorial is implemented in spvp?

Personally, I applaud Anet’s efforts to attract more (new) players to pvp, but…. The skill level of new players entering ranked is laughable at times. Unlike a lot of people, I don’t blame the newbies for being clueless potatoes, I blame Anet for not giving them the necessary tools to learn.

GW2 is overall lacking in anything resembling a tutorial in any game mode. However it is becoming increasingly evident how critical the need is for a tutorial in pvp.

A while back, with help from the community we put together: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Things-I-Wish-I-d-Known

More threads on needing a tutorial and some suggestions:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/PvP-Needs-a-basic-tutorial/first#post6435762

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Plan-sPvP-Tutorial-Redux/first#post6433389

Is it not glaringly obvious this is something the community wants and is willing to help create?

Please leave a brief comment if you agree we need a tutorial in pvp and or any other suggestions you have for including/creating a tutorial system.

Edit: My hope is to make this thread so large it cannot be ignored.

Omg yes it does, lol. If we can’t practice and play as teams and were stuck inheriting noobs that do not know what rotations are I think this is a great idea. But I also see this system is entering a point of no repair as anet seeks to boost pvp numbers and not quality pvp.

You don’t take a team based game and them take away the ability to play together…

The new rating are supposed to be skill based yet crappy players are still grinding to gold by playing hundreds of more matches.

Playing with my friends and lossing was more fun than this cluster fook of randomness and uncoordinated moves.

#makegw2greatagain

in PvP

Posted by: SaltAndLight.4652

SaltAndLight.4652

I think entry level for ranked should be raised, to what I’m not sure. Set it to high and the requirements for ranked play might turn away potential players.

A tutorial should be mandatory. Just basic things such as:

• press ‘B’ to see team compositions before a match
  • how to reroll
  • it only takes one person to cap a point
  • suggest turning team chat on prior to matches

Aside from that, it’s the communities job to mentor and teach the new players who want to learn. If players invest in each other it will go a long way to making the environment less salty and toxic.

in PvP

Posted by: Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

Xanctus The Dragonslayer.2318

i agree with the OP. this is long overdue. if A-net wants a more competive game mode and attact new mode. they need to actually make it so that new players don’t get discouraged.

in PvP

Posted by: Crab Fear.1624

Crab Fear.1624

When any of you started, did you have a tutorial? If so, did it make you a better player? I am talking about this game specifically. If I recall correctly at the beginning of matches there are instructions.

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

When any of you started, did you have a tutorial? If so, did it make you a better player? I am talking about this game specifically. If I recall correctly at the beginning of matches there are instructions.

There was a Tutorial it was removed close to 1 year after Launch.

in PvP

Posted by: Crab Fear.1624

Crab Fear.1624

There was a Tutorial it was removed close to 1 year after Launch.

Game Update Notes – August 25, 2015

New players will no longer be required to complete the PvP tutorial before gaining access to the Heart of the Mists.

I see, I only started playing this year. Either way unranked is a good way to learn and if you can’t learn to play well enough by rank 20 (the rank required to do Ranked) then no tutorial will help you.
My 3 cents.

in PvP

MissCee.1295

I’ve been playing for just on 12mths. My introduction to pvp was a guildmate taking me into Stronghold. Fortunately for me a couple of guildies played MOBAS and were able to give me some of the basics. The rest I had to learn from being abused or finding guides/videos on the internet.

When coming to the PVP forum I was disappointed at what little information there was for a new player.