Playing ranked should have requirements

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

Recently is started playing Heroes of the Storm Beta and noticed that to play a ranked match you have to be at least lvl30 which actually takes quite a bit of work. After reaching it and doing a few ranked matches i was in heaven. people would play properly, nobody would make mistakes you expect from someone that can’t tie his own shoes (such people were the majority in unranked) and even if you lost you felt some kind of accomplishement, a good play here, a nice combo there. I have played several games where ranked play was locked behind some kind of requirement and all those games were highly enjoyable in ranked.
in gw2 on the other side even if i win i feel like i lost. yes, sometimes me and maybe another halfway decent player can carry the three other scrubs to a 450-500 or so but half of the match you’re just boiling while people do the most idiotic things.
i am talking about no sense for basic rotations (mid capped, close is lost but free, hey, let’s go die at far), secondary mechanics (3 people rush lord right at the beginning, 4 people kill beast even before capping close, ignore the buffs on temple and so on) or even basic gameplay (i saw 3 people cap a point just now, what also made me write this post. and i mean it literally: al of them were standing on point through the whole capping process). i think knowing how the secondary mechanic on the map, hell the primary mechanic on ALL maps and your own skillset works should be something i can ask for in competitive pvp. yet at least half of the people i get matched with don’t.

why not put ranked behind a requirement that ensures that you don’t have to play with complete scrubs when competing for a ranking on a leaderboard? the rewards are the same and people can farm their dailies (those who actually bother to play for dailies and don’t just do them within the guild in pa) and reward tracks in unranked.
i know by myself that my mmr is not actually the highest (that’s because i’m mediocre as a player at best) and i recently got my old mesmer out so that plays into it somehow after lb reset but i am sick and tired of being paired up with complete morons from which you can tell after the first 10 seconds of the match that it’s already lost and who (as everyone does but also can if you know how to play) completely ignore any kind of help in form of information i am willing to give.
nope, i can’t play with a team because i have highly irregular online times. i also don’t really get where that whole situation comes from. around half a year ago it wasn’t nearly as bad, what happened?
i am losing 90% of my matches although i know i am better than at least half of the players that are steamrolling my team. there is no point for new players to compete in ranked and as i see it there’s no point for me (playing pvp on a mediocre level meaning the lower end of the lb for almost 2 years) to play with them. i don’t really understand why ranked is free for everybody to play, having some kind of requirement for it seems to be standard in srs pvp games. this may come from not having a league system which also seems standard.

however, i’ll stop whining now since i guess this idea has been brought up thousands of times and nothing will happen anyway because anet has it’s own twisted idea of “competition”. i hope there will be a system that makes pvp worthwhile some day in the future. until then there are other options that actually don’t give me a gastric ulcer and psychocancer even if i win.

PS: is it even possible to link images in image-form in this forum? nothing seems to work. whoever made this forum should be punished severely.

Attachments:

(edited by zaced.7948)

in PvP

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Believe it or not, most people are somewhat decent rank, they just play bad, playing a profession they don’t play at all, they just suck.

Game has been out for like 2 years, I’m sure those hardcore pve’ers and rarely do pvp type people are at least rank 30 or around that. (PvP rank doesn’t decay ya know)

Also, some people just never get better too, it is sad too.

Lastly, you know you can easily post pictures using the ‘More posting & formatting options..’, I always wonder why people gotta use some other website to share a picture, just freaking upload it and save us time for going through 2 or 3 clicks to see some silly picture.
This forum is pretty good at posting pictures, you don’t need to remember all that coding to post a picture, this aint no myspace where you gotta learn a bit of coding to do fancy stuff.

Also, matchmaking can be bad, I’m pretty good too but I keep going against stacked teams, I’m in a x>50% win rate right now, but I normally hit that massive losing streak, like 90% losing like you mention, its defiantly matchmaking, when you get to know whose good and whose not, you can easily determine the match before its even played. All you do is look at teams and be like “oh that one guy, carries insanely hard, going to be a tough game, oh kitten he has that guy too, and my team bunch of nobodies… kitten gg”.

Need to be able to rate players, because the validity of there system is bad, its reliable but doesn’t mean they are actually what they assume to be.
You need real players to rate others, and validate, yes that person is the real kittening deal.
This way you get a good matchmaking system and less games with stacked motherkittening teams. Also, I believe this would get real good players solo que together and give those premades run for there money.

I don’t know why they always gotta randomize it, if one team wins really strong and they all que again, make them go against the premade rather than bunch of scrubs with 1 actual good player or none at all. I see nothing wrong with people that win games getting qued together again. Now if you lost the game, obviously most of time you don’t want to be que’ed/be on there team with those ‘scrubs’ again.

(edited by uberkingkong.8041)

in PvP

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i’m not talking about rank being the requirement since it’s worthless as an indicator for skill.
i don’t know which value you could use as requirement since the whole system seems kaput at it’s very base. since it’s been redone twice with only minor improvements in some parts (and major decline in others) i’m not sure it’s something that can be fixed without a hell of a lot of work. it’s a predicament, i hope anet can break it one day somehow.

in PvP

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Or here is a novel idea…. actually build a matchmaking system that matches people based on actual ranked match results. That keeps the noobs playing together and it allows people who have done well to play together.

Maybe ANET will do something like that some day.

*Disclaimer: To most people, what I wrote about is completely obvious. For ANET though, they still seem to think other factors like rank are important.

in PvP

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

While I do sympathise with the OP’s situation (having been in it myself), I think that implementing a /rank criteria wouldn’t be the best solution. As others have pointed out, rank is no indicator of skill. I myself am rank 53, but I know from experience that I’m not quite good enough to play Unranked at a competitive level, although I do step in there now and again to test myself and see if my skills have improved.

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I’m gonna repeat myself until Anet finally sees it.

Make a “Newbie Arena Que” for anyone who just entered PVP.
You have to complete 100 games in “Newbie Arena Que” before you can participate in any Unranked or Ranked Arena. (To avoid leeching, additional requirement is that you need to win at least 25 games among those 100 games.)
To protect the Newbie Arena’s safety, after you fulfill all the requirements (100 games, 25 wins), you cannot Que up in Newbie Arena again.

Also, to avoid shortage of people, the game will be automatically started with any number of players currently in Ques(1v1, 2v2, etc) after 5 minutes of Que time.
With this, newbies can play around with each other, not being slaughtered by pros, and not being a liability to a normal team. They can learn the concept of maps, movement, classes, combat in this Arena with all the other newbies.

Point of Newbie Arena Que is to let “real” newcomers grasp the flow of PVP, and not fighting in the horribly unbalanced 5 v 4 spectator/auto-balance hot-join, yet not being brutally beaten by the more experienced players in real arena.
And this feature is an account bound thing, so no, you don’t have to go through this process every time you create a new character.

If you already play PVP for quite awhile, please don’t respond on the behalf of newbies, since you’re not newbie anymore. This feature is created exactly for newcomers of PVP, so veterans have no place to protest for the system.

in PvP

Posted by: Sorel.4870

Sorel.4870

You have to complete 100 games in “Newbie Arena Que” before you can participate in any Unranked or Ranked Arena. (To avoid leeching, additional requirement is that you need to win at least 25 games among those 100 games.)
To protect the Newbie Arena’s safety, after you fulfill all the requirements (100 games, 25 wins), you cannot Que up in Newbie Arena again.

Also, to avoid shortage of people, the game will be automatically started with any number of players currently in Ques(1v1, 2v2, etc) after 5 minutes of Que time.
With this, newbies can play around with each other, not being slaughtered by pros, and not being a liability to a normal team. They can learn the concept of maps, movement, classes, combat in this Arena with all the other newbies.

Point of Newbie Arena Que is to let “real” newcomers grasp the flow of PVP, and not fighting in the horribly unbalanced 5 v 4 spectator/auto-balance hot-join, yet not being brutally beaten by the more experienced players in real arena.
And this feature is an account bound thing, so no, you don’t have to go through this process every time you create a new character.

If you already play PVP for quite awhile, please don’t respond on the behalf of newbies, since you’re not newbie anymore. This feature is created exactly for newcomers of PVP, so veterans have no place to protest for the system.

I like this idea! Allow me to brainstorm on your original proposition.

I fear that your Newbie arena would split the player base even more. In fact, I think to have unranked and ranked is still dividing too much. Old soloq was less rewarding, so less people were playing it that the new unranked queue.

Following your idea, we could make unranked accessible only to people either new to the game or new to their profession. For example, you could not play in unranked if you reach 30 victories on the profession you’re playing, unless someone in your party has under 30 victories in theirs. You’d need 30 victories to enter ranked arena. That way, unranked arena would have a slightly less effective matchmaking, but ranked arena would have a better one.

in PvP

Posted by: mishkamba.6358

mishkamba.6358

I like this idea! Allow me to brainstorm on your original proposition.

I fear that your Newbie arena would split the player base even more. In fact, I think to have unranked and ranked is still dividing too much. Old soloq was less rewarding, so less people were playing it that the new unranked queue.

Following your idea, we could make unranked accessible only to people either new to the game or new to their profession. For example, you could not play in unranked if you reach 30 victories on the profession you’re playing, unless someone in your party has under 30 victories in theirs. You’d need 30 victories to enter ranked arena. That way, unranked arena would have a slightly less effective matchmaking, but ranked arena would have a better one.

I like both your ideas.. What if ANET will also rank players based on the profession their playing. At least people with higher level can try new prof on much lower competitive level.

in PvP

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Forcing games in a Newbie Arena is a HORRIFIC idea, you’ve basicly just choked to death anyone new entering pvp.

If you’re playing alone you just need to deal with the fact you’ll get some bad players on your team. The only hope is the matchmaking system continues to get iterated on.

As for you say “veterans don’t reply because it doesn’t affect you” thats ridiculous – YOU have just tried impose a wall between YOU and new people.

in PvP

Posted by: Random Weird Guy.3528

Random Weird Guy.3528

I like both your ideas.. What if ANET will also rank players based on the profession their playing. At least people with higher level can try new prof on much lower competitive level.

This is already a thing…

Random Engineering // Trixxti // Random Noises (worst thief eu)
Svanir Appreciation Society [SAS]

in PvP

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

Forcing games in a Newbie Arena is a HORRIFIC idea, you’ve basicly just choked to death anyone new entering pvp.

If you’re playing alone you just need to deal with the fact you’ll get some bad players on your team. The only hope is the matchmaking system continues to get iterated on.

As for you say “veterans don’t reply because it doesn’t affect you” thats ridiculous – YOU have just tried impose a wall between YOU and new people.

Seriously man, 100 games is not alot…
Some newbies really think they know what they’re doing after 5 games, but in fact no, it is totally not the case.

I’m talking about those who’re REALLY new to the PVP, or even to the game.
They need an environment to learn their things, while not affecting others so much at the same time. (A bunch of rank 80s or x class champion playing with someone who just played 5 games in hot join… You know what will happen)

Like I emphasized earlier, it’s an account bound thing, so no, you can’t stay there even if you want to after your practices is done.

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Yall talk of nonsense,
like you didn’t even do any research or participate on the forums.

They already stated they do MMR based on profession. It’s already being done, its just the PvP community is so small that you stuck with whoever is queing and it isn’t a lot of people.

Like I stated before, the validity of there system is off, it assumes one guy is good which he could be bad. That’s why you need a player ranking system to validate the good players from the bad players.

Another thing, you guys talking of having to play games to meet a criteria to PvP. That’s nonsense too, because this game is around 2 years old, and most of the people playing it that will ever set foot in PvP are of decent ranking, like a wolf… People, PvP rank doesn’t decay.

The best solutions is player ranking system and bringing back tournament tickets.

in PvP

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

Yall talk of nonsense,

They already stated they do MMR based on profession. It’s already being done, its just the PvP community is so small that you stuck with whoever is queing and it isn’t a lot of people.

Like I stated before, the validity of there system is off, it assumes one guy is good which he could be bad. That’s why you need a player ranking system to validate the good players from the bad players.

Another thing, you guys talking of having to play games to meet a criteria to PvP. That’s nonsense too, because this game is around 2 years old, and most of the people playing it that will ever set foot in PvP are of decent ranking, like a wolf… People, PvP rank doesn’t decay.

The best solutions is player ranking system and bringing back tournament tickets.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Are-Profession-Ratings-back

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Yall talk of nonsense,

Well, still contradicts your opinion because if people can profession swap, rating on profession is useless.

That’s not even an effective method either, because STILL you can get lucky games and get carried and be considered good by the system, but when others judge you, your a terrible player. Your the team MWP (Most Worst Player).

That’s why you need real data, the video game industry is slow.

You look at the hotel industry, hotel’s ratings aren’t really looked at by the critic reviews, or system reviews. People prefer the basing on how OTHER people judge those hotels because its more accurate… People give them 5 stars or 1 stars and averages out.

Video game industry slow as kitten, needs to keep up with technology and INDUSTRY TRENDS.

in PvP

Posted by: Sekai.2987

Sekai.2987

Yall talk of nonsense,

Well, still contradicts your opinion because if people can profession swap, rating on profession is useless.

That’s not even an effective method either, because STILL you can get lucky games and get carried and be considered good by the system, but when others judge you, your a terrible player. Your the team MWP (Most Worst Player).

i have no opinion on anything wrote on this forum,except its written by a dev, just pointed out that you were wrong about proffesion mmr, so the misinformation dont spread

in PvP

uberkingkong.8041

Yall talk of nonsense,

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/*Are-Profession-Ratings-back*/first#post4702746

i have no opinion on anything wrote on this forum,except its written by a dev, just pointed out that you were wrong about proffesion mmr, so the misinformation dont spread

If you read that thread title it states “Are profession ratings back”
Even in the link it says it, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Are-Profession-Ratings-back/first#post4702746
Meaning it has been done like I told all of you guys, you need to learn how to read pal.

Was changed due to allowing profession swapping, like I said, rating on profession when people can swap is totally useless.

Learn how to read, before you accuse me of misinformation.