Please lower my MMR?

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

Hi ANet and Evan Lesh,
Pre HoT, I was able to get a (55%) win-rate in Ranked matches. Unfortunately, I don’t have the “skill” necessary to compete in the expansion. Is it possible to lower my MMR artificially? I’m afraid I’m going to have to keep losing like this for a long time for the system to lower my MMR, and it’s really not fun.

I’m not being snarky. Thanks.

To the forum trolls: I tried to “L2P,” but clearly it wasn’t enough for me.

Attachments:

(edited by Salamander.2504)

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Oh hey, you won a match.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

Are you playing Reaper, or standard Necro? Just curious.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

Those games were all played on Reaper.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: meow one twenty.4376

meow one twenty.4376

Our streak continues! Next time I see you I’ll send you an invite so we can lower our mmr’s at the same time.

Alright meow, where were we?

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

Haha, count me in meow!

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Cogbyrn.7283

Cogbyrn.7283

All I got from that Screenshot is that over the course of roughly 2000 unranked matches, you are at about a 50% win rate.

Could it possibly get more balanced than that?

Alduin Nightsong, 80 Human Necro
“He’s like a man with a fork in a world of soup.”

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

All I got from that Screenshot is that over the course of roughly 2000 unranked matches, you are at about a 50% win rate.

99% of those ~2k games were from before the expansion; my win-rate was balanced pre-HoT. Now, it’s not.

(edited by Salamander.2504)

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

99% of those matches were pre-HoT.

Also, watch this:

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

99% of those matches were pre-HoT.

Also, watch this:

I’m not really sure the point you are trying to get across. By stating in my first post that I’d like my MMR lowered, I’m openly acknowledging that I’m worse than the game thinks I am.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

The point is that you losing X games in a row is likely to happen if you have a 50% chance of winning a match based on matchmaking, especially with a larger sample space. It has nothing to do with your skill. It’s actually probable that you’ll hit streaks like that.

So the point is, you don’t actually know if you are worse than the game thinks. You just had a bad day. Human beings are really terrible at intuiting probabilities.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

The point is that you losing X games in a row is likely to happen if you have a 50% chance of winning a match based on matchmaking, especially with a larger sample space. It has nothing to do with your skill. It’s actually probable that you’ll hit streaks like that.

So the point is, you don’t actually know if you are worse than the game thinks. You just had a bad day. Human beings are really terrible at intuiting probabilities.

When it was just me having a “bad day,” I was in total agreement with what you’ve said, but this losing streak is part of a much longer streak that’s been going on since Oct. 23rd. Unfortunately I don’t have the data beyond the last 10 matches to actually show this. Maybe a Dev can pop in here and supply that info, and just maybe he’ll prove that I’m full of it. But I didn’t make a post out of anger after only 10 games.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

Without the data, I have nothing to go by, besides everything in your OP being snarky, including the part where you say you aren’t being snarky. I only have what is in the screenshot, which is not statistically abnormal. Just a bummer.

I’m also used to seeing streaks like this, as I have a friend who has played thousands of DOTA 2 matches, and he would always comment on his losing streaks when they were especially terrible.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

meow one twenty.4376

Without the data, I have nothing to go by, besides everything in your OP being snarky, including the part where you say you aren’t being snarky. I only have what is in the screenshot, which is not statistically abnormal. Just a bummer.

I’m also used to seeing streaks like this, as I have a friend who has played thousands of DOTA 2 matches, and he would always comment on his losing streaks when they were especially terrible.

With the data provided you have the ability to actually determine how many games have been lost since HoT by comparing the combined current average to the previous average in contrast with matches played. I’m far too lazy to do the math, but you’ll find that the streaks required to reduce 55% win rate to ~51% at 2700 matches is extremely discouraging.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

With the data provided you have the ability to actually determine how many games have been lost since HoT by comparing the combined current average to the previous average in contrast with matches played. I’m far too lazy to do the math, but you’ll find that the streaks required to reduce 55% win rate to ~51% at 2700 matches is extremely discouraging.

The OP mentions kitten Ranked win-rate, which is what is in the screen shot (since there hasn’t been a ranked season yet). Was Unranked/Total at 55% pre-HoT as well? If not, where was it at?

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

Great idea, Cogbyrn and Meow. I was fishing around to see what I could find and I stumbled upon this post of mine, dated to Oct. 28th: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Is-this-DH-Nerf-Enough-to-Calm-the-Tears/first. My post links a screenshot, which shows my win/loss ratio as of Oct. 28th.

Here is the data from Oct. 28th: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/208816/dh1.jpg

On Oct. 28th, I had 1787 unranked matches and a 51.32% win-rate. Currently, I have 1992 unranked matches and a 50.80% win-rate. If you do the math, that means between Oct. 28th and Nov. 22nd (a 25 day period), my win-rate (over 205 games) was 46.27%. Because I was exclusively queing ranked up until HoT, that means my win-rate has dropped by 9% since Oct. 28th.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

Great idea, Cogbyrn and Meow. I was fishing around to see what I could find and I stumbled upon this post of mine, dated to Oct. 28th: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Is-this-DH-Nerf-Enough-to-Calm-the-Tears/first. My post links a screenshot, which shows my win/loss ratio as of Oct. 28th.

Here is the data from Oct. 28th: https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/208816/dh1.jpg

On Oct. 28th, I had 1787 unranked matches and a 51.32% win-rate. Currently, I have 1992 unranked matches and a 50.80% win-rate. If you do the math, that means between Oct. 28th and Nov. 22nd (a 25 day period), my win-rate (over 205 games) was 46.27%. Because I was exclusively queing ranked up until HoT, that means my win-rate has dropped by 9% since Oct. 28th.

Ah, so you were queuing Ranked in your pre-hot experience at kitten win-rate, and your 205+ games since HoT has a 46.27% win rate. So in short, instead of 11 games won out of every 20, you’re winning approximately 9.

What’s really interesting is that your perception is of a much, much more frustrating experience, when it’s just a couple extra losses that you aren’t used to every 20 matches (on average, streaks aside). Given 205 games since HoT, you are also running a 52.5% win-rate only including your Ranked matches pre-HoT.

Of course, you can try to keep applying filters and segments to the data in order to make it look bad, but even a 46.27% win rate isn’t that far below 50%. Considering randomness in unranked, I would imagine it could be within a reasonable deviation from “par”. I could be wrong, but I still don’t think it’s anything to ask for an artificially reduced MMR for.

EDIT – This is also the second time I’ve been censored because of the number 5. Once was “as” followed by 5, this is “a” followed by 55.

Thanks, swear filter. You’re the real MVP.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

meow one twenty.4376

Thanks, swear filter. You’re the real MVP.

Swear filter, always fighting the good fight!

It looks like this has been pretty much resolved? One of my favorite aspects of statistics is how you can make bad things look good and good things look bad and still be “correct.” I consider every interpretation a sham until I see the data myself. :/

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Dear Salamander 2504,
Are you playing on a different account? Your match logs seems to stop on 11-21.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

Hi Evan! Thanks for taking the time to respond. Nope, this is the account I play on. I’m not sure why my match log would stop on 11/21, as I’ve been playing consistently. As mentioned in my above post, I’ve had 205 unranked games on this account between Oct. 28 and Nov. 22. Are you seeing that the matches are absent before 11/21, or after?

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cogbyrn.7283

EDIT – Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

(edited by Cogbyrn.7283)

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Dear Evan Lesh can you do same for me as well? I main thief and face premades/teams made of top players quite frequently. There is no way i can compete even vs mediocre players on thief atm. Thank you.

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Talyn Sneider.1825

Talyn Sneider.1825

Just throwing an idea out there (sometimes it helps software developers) could the absence of matches in the log be related to an absence of matches in the system, thus, making salamander mmr to be permanently stuck on a high level?

In case of doubt you could ask a dev to play with salamander in pvp and then proceed to check the log to see if it shows the new game.

Casual pvp’er – Can only play 2-3 hours a day

https://www.gw2pvp.de/profile/ab4bd8fa4c3f250ac9533c479b0b862b/

(edited by Talyn Sneider.1825)

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Just throwing an idea out there (sometimes it helps software developers) could the absence of matches in the log be related to an absence of matches in the system, thus, making salamander mmr to be permanently stuck on a high level?

In case of doubt you could ask a dev to play with salamander in pvp and then proceed to check the log to see if it shows the new game.

This is the first time I’ve seen missing matches. There are plenty of match logs up until 11-21, and it could just be a delay in our metrics system, which is separate from what the API pulls from (which is right from the source).

Confirmed we’ve got some backed up data so I can’t investigate right now. Your MMR looked pretty stable, though.

(edited by Evan Lesh.3295)

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Will we ever see that mmr? Games like dota share that bad boy freely. Maybe gw2 can start)

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Pretty sure Everyone,s MMR will reset for when leaderboards open soon , well i hope so anyways . Q for Evan , is MMR bound to both unranked/ranked or separate ? , I do hope its separate so new players n vets get separated from unranked/ranked players

[WM]give us in game ladder

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Pretty sure Everyone,s MMR will reset for when leaderboards open soon , well i hope so anyways . Q for Evan , is MMR bound to both unranked/ranked or separate ? , I do hope its separate so new players n vets get separated from unranked/ranked players

It is separate. Also since noone will have played ranked in a while, everyone’s ratings will be more volatile than normal. This will help shake things up a bit.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: cakeonroof.7385

cakeonroof.7385

Also since noone will have played ranked in a while, everyone’s ratings will be more volatile than normal. This will help shake things up a bit.

This concerns me

EU since Aug 2012

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Also since noone will have played ranked in a while, everyone’s ratings will be more volatile than normal. This will help shake things up a bit.

This concerns me

This is a good thing so that people move to their correct ladder position quicker.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Talyn Sneider.1825

Talyn Sneider.1825

This is the first time I’ve seen missing matches. There are plenty of match logs up until 11-21, and it could just be a delay in our metrics system, which is separate from what the API pulls from (which is right from the source).

Confirmed we’ve got some backed up data so I can’t investigate right now. Your MMR looked pretty stable, though.

Thanks for the reply, hope this helps a bit (even if it’s only to remove possibilities off the table).

One more idea, could the delay of the data account for this situation? Imagine this generic example:

win – 10 mmr
win – 20 mmr
win – 30 mmr calculation is working with this info
lose – 30 mmr ( should be 20 but as data is delayed so mmr algorithm couldn’t take this into account)
lose – 30 mmr ( should be 10 but as data is delayed so mmr algorithm couldn’t take this into account)
lose – at this point the player can start to perceive his games as unfair…he lost several games and is still facing teams based on the 30 mmr

If this holds up, you can also factor games with low pop on the equation that can inflate/deflate mmr, imagine I as a player play at an hour where there are not many players that can match my mmr, i could increase or decrease my mmr creating a deviation due to the inability (not on the algorithm but on the player pool) of finding a match for my mmr.

Now on the following day, I’ll go play in prime time and get paired with players that are on my new mmr level, that would adjust my previous deviation by playing at low hours, but if data gets backed up I’ll remain in the inflated/deflated mmr score, leading to either a seried of wins/ loses depending on how much my mmr has been inflated/deflated.

I know my example is too small but this could happen in a day to day basis (example: during the week pvp at late hours at the weekend pvp during prime time)

Again hope this helps, and as a software developer I must give you props for the amount of efort and research youre doing to make an algorithm that is fair for us all.

Casual pvp’er – Can only play 2-3 hours a day

https://www.gw2pvp.de/profile/ab4bd8fa4c3f250ac9533c479b0b862b/

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

One more idea, could the delay of the data account for this situation?

The delay is data is purely from a metrics gathering standpoint. The actual matchmaking data is all present where required.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: StabbyCakes.8736

StabbyCakes.8736

Uhm… noob question? Where do I see those stats for myself o.o?

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: StabbyCakes.8736

StabbyCakes.8736

Nevermind found the site ;3

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

It is separate. Also since noone will have played ranked in a while, everyone’s ratings will be more volatile than normal. This will help shake things up a bit.

evan, can you try to convince whoever decided turning ranked off was a good idea to never turn it off again? being limited to unranked has completely killed my interest in PvP. the quality of the matches tanked, and there’s a not-insignificant chance of ending up on spirit watch or skyhammer, two maps i loathe.

and the worst part is that i don’t even get why ranked should be turned off just because the leagues are off.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: ReaperJr.5967

ReaperJr.5967

Hi evan, i dont get this? How does absence of play (in ranked) lead to ratings being more volatile? Thanks in advance.

Lord Ninth \\ Champion Magus
- Primordial Legend
Semi-active.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

Hi evan, i dont get this? How does absence of play (in ranked) lead to ratings being more volatile? Thanks in advance.

As part of the Glicko algorithm, not playing increases your deviation over time, which controls how much your rating adjusts each update. Since ranked has been disabled, there will be ~4 weeks of inactivity for everyone’s ranked MMR.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

Thanx for the answer Evan this is good news

[WM]give us in game ladder

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

Can we please get back to topic and talk about Salamander’s loosing streak? If you now have access to the data, can you please take a look at it?

How did they look from an MMR-POV? Was he just in a possible fluctuation or was there a bug involved?

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Next

I have all the data now. You played everyone one of those games in a 3-man party, which will bump up your effective MMR for matchmaking. Prior to that day you played solo or duo mostly. The performance of your team must not be as good as the MMR bump is trying to account for in premades, so your MMR is adjusting downward to accommodate.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I have all the data now. You played everyone one of those games in a 3-man party, which will bump up your effective MMR for matchmaking. Prior to that day you played solo or duo mostly. The performance of your team must not be as good as the MMR bump is trying to account for in premades, so your MMR is adjusting downward to accommodate.

All this mmr talk! Just let us know our mmr

Or just tell me if my mmr is higher than my normal queue buddies

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

Honestly, I don’t see why we can’t see our own MMR. Just make it that you can’t see other people MMR if you worry about bad behavior. What’s the concern on now showing MMR in PvP panel?

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Honestly, I don’t see why we can’t see our own MMR. Just make it that you can’t see other people MMR if you worry about bad behavior. What’s the concern on now showing MMR in PvP panel?

Im guessing without the 10’s of thousands of concurrent players, the mmr’s might look really silly with who is matching with who, so it’s best to keep it hidden to save face.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

Thanks for looking into this. It’s a relief to know that my MMR is adjusting downwards at least. What still confuses me is, if I remember correctly, we were matched against a lot of 2-3-4-5 man teams that day, who should also get the MMR bump you mentioned. So for whatever reason, the team I was running with just didn’t warrant the bump?

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Previous

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

Thanks for looking into this. It’s a relief to know that my MMR is adjusting downwards at least. What still confuses me is, if I remember correctly, we were matched against a lot of 2-3-4-5 man teams that day, who should also get the MMR bump you mentioned. So for whatever reason, the team I was running with just didn’t warrant the bump?

You’re right that other teams you were matched against would have the same bump. It’s possible they were coordinating more or had more practice than your team.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Salamander.2504

You’re right that other teams you were matched against would have the same bump. It’s possible they were coordinating more or had more practice than your team.

Okay…although I must confess I’m still not clear on how this all works. I just left this match, where I was cannon fodder for a few high-level players who were in a 3-man while I was solo queing (though we had a 2-man on my team). Shouldn’t the Abjured 3-man have an MMR bump that puts them well out of my range? Is this just an anomalous example? I’ll sthu if so but I’m really just trying to understand what’s going on with my metrics. Thanks for the continued responses.

Attachments:

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Okay…although I must confess I’m still not clear on how this all works. I just left this match, where I was cannon fodder for a few high-level players who were in a 3-man while I was solo queing (though we had a 2-man on my team). Shouldn’t the Abjured 3-man have an MMR bump that puts them well out of my range? Is this just an anomalous example? I’ll sthu if so but I’m really just trying to understand what’s going on with my metrics. Thanks for the continued responses.

Not to make light of your situation as this is never fun. But, you have to appreciate the names. Like, BoB from accounting. How is that guy anyhow?

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

If anything, the problem is that ranked queue is off.

If you’re high MMR and you’re stuck in unranked, you get low MMR players on your team. —> Lose

If you’re low MMR and ranked queue is down, you get high MMR players on the opposing team. —> Lose

I made this observation after ~5 unranked matches, so it’s probably accurate.

Personally, after the crappy unranked conquest matches, I switched to stronghold and I farmed the hell out of it last night. Only losses are 4v5s and premades.

We should all be talking about the lack of a solo queue and the lack of temporary pvp bans for leavers. Dishonor in the game is not even noticeable. The 1% of players who are leavers ruin the game for the other 99% and they need to get shut down.

One d/c? 0-5 minute pvp lockout. Two d/c? 30-45 min lockout. Three d/c? 60-120 min lockout. A history of d/c? Double the lockout duration. If you don’t want to be there—don’t queue.

Please lower my MMR?

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.3952

Booms.3952

If anything, the problem is that ranked queue is off.

If you’re high MMR and you’re stuck in unranked, you get low MMR players on your team. —> Lose

If you’re low MMR and ranked queue is down, you get high MMR players on the opposing team. —> Lose

I made this observation after ~5 unranked matches, so it’s probably accurate.

Personally, after the crappy unranked conquest matches, I switched to stronghold and I farmed the hell out of it last night. Only losses are 4v5s and premades.

We should all be talking about the lack of a solo queue and the lack of temporary pvp bans for leavers. Dishonor in the game is not even noticeable. The 1% of players who are leavers ruin the game for the other 99% and they need to get shut down.

One d/c? 0-5 minute pvp lockout. Two d/c? 30-45 min lockout. Three d/c? 60-120 min lockout. A history of d/c? Double the lockout duration. If you don’t want to be there—don’t queue.

I don’t really have a problem as a high mmr player in soloqs. Still win 70% ish which is expected. I think the reason you won so many stronghold matches is because the players in that are extremely bad. Like worse than hotjoiners.

#1 gerdian na
0 counterplay