PvP Needs a basic tutorial

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.7352

Supreme.7352

Something either mandatory or at the very least very heavily rewarded to at least run once. Rotations, when to cleave vs when to stomp, what “home” and “Far” are, map timings, etc.

People tend to zerg rush a point and don’t seem to understand that there’s more to pvp then deathmatch, even in Ranked.

in PvP

Posted by: Dragon.8762

Dragon.8762

Ha, I was actually just about to write up a thread like this.

Yes, Spvp needs a proper basic tutorial. Or some sort of system that teaches players how to play. Every single time I hear people talk about spvp on discord or team speak, every single time I watch a twitch stream, every single time I go into the heart of mists, I see people complaining about how bad other people are. To the point where it just becomes blind ignorance coming from both the player complaining and the person whose being complained upon.

I even had a random guy whisper me saying, “Many bad games today.” “Many idiot teams.” I think its gotten to a point where saddly most people would agree. I personally don’t like to insult people or call people names unless its truly warranted. So I don’t think putting down players who make mistakes will ever be a solution. They need to be taught, and from there; learn and get better skill wise.

I think another instance needs to be brought into the heart of the mists teaching players about boons and conditions. Map rotations, and the different things that make each map unique. Players should be encouraged to try out other classes or know what other classes can do so they know how to handle them. Other new players can join in the map and face each other with no consequences of match lost or MMR etc.

in PvP

Posted by: spartan.9421

spartan.9421

Instead of waiting for anet to bring in a tutorial for spvp why not offer to teach people how to properly pvp? Maybe even make a guild out of it

Worrying is like a rocking chair: You go back and forth but never get anywhere.

in PvP

Posted by: ZombieLeach.5862

ZombieLeach.5862

Instead of waiting for anet to bring in a tutorial for spvp why not offer to teach people how to properly pvp? Maybe even make a guild out of it

Because no one really cares about guilds in pvp, tbh. Not noobs anyway.

in PvP

Dragon.8762

I have, but only with friends. I don’t have the time or patience to teach random people pvp all the time. I’d rather be playing the game.

Most pvp games have a system where you’d go up against computer controlled players while having a team of real people on your side or bots so they can learn to play. Not saying spvp should have bots or w/e noooo, but just another instance where people can just fight and learn the game mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Sazdek.6830

Sazdek.6830

I’ve been saying this for quite a while now, especially when it comes to things like rotations. You don’t need 3 people going home to kill a solo engie who’s camping it. You’re not such a hard carry that you’re going to run into a 1v3 mid after the team got wiped and finish them all off. Sitting at far 2v1 against that bunker is what is letting the enemy win right now. Etc etc. It gets old after a while. But what I’ve learned over the last year is that you can try to teach people what rotations are, stomp etiquette, when to cleave, when to stomp, etc, but it won’t make a spit of difference unless they actually want to learn. And that’s often much more rare than you might expect. At this point I’d almost rather duo with the guy who has less than 100 games under his belt but takes direction over the guy who got ruby every season and thinks he belongs in ESL.

Tarnished Coast
Skaukatt – Engi
Cräsher – Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Crowley.8761

Crowley.8761

Already made a thread like this, about using ratings gain as a reward for playing well rather than having it just be win/loss. I think it would be more effective if it was incentivized.

in PvP

Posted by: ZombieLeach.5862

ZombieLeach.5862

A video of some sort that points out the major factors in decision makering, such as looking at who’s dead to see whether it’s ok to decap far or not, or looking at the mini map to see where people are and where you need to rotate to, would help a lot.

in PvP

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

The sheer amount of players I see running around with default builds/amulet getting slaughtered because they think they have a different build and specializations is heart breaking because they have no idea how to access their build window in a match or know it exists outside of a match

I have copy/pasted my idea of a basic tutorial for YEARS now….Anet hasn’t really taken any notice, but this is a better time than any to coontinue my copy/pasta legacy!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Plan-sPvP-Tutorial-Redux/first#post6433389

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

in PvP

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Something either mandatory or at the very least very heavily rewarded to at least run once. Rotations, when to cleave vs when to stomp, what “home” and “Far” are, map timings, etc.

People tend to zerg rush a point and don’t seem to understand that there’s more to pvp then deathmatch, even in Ranked.

I would agree. There are a lot of exceptions though. For example, people will get upset at others for not fighting on point, but a lot of ESL fights are off point for map control. Having someone in the community stream team scrimmage matches in hot join and comment on them would be awesome.

in PvP

Posted by: Sazdek.6830

Sazdek.6830

Hence part of my comment earlier about people in ruby (I guess this is gold now?) thinking they belong in ESL. Major tournaments and regular ranked play are two very different beasts with different playstyles and metas. Coordination has a lot to do with being able to extend off point to fight and create choke points that your enemies can’t push through. When you do this with pugs however, you’re going to have leaks.

Tarnished Coast
Skaukatt – Engi
Cräsher – Warrior

in PvP

Dragon.8762

A video of some sort that points out the major factors in decision makering, such as looking at who’s dead to see whether it’s ok to decap far or not, or looking at the mini map to see where people are and where you need to rotate to, would help a lot.

I like this. I think it would go along way if Anet or maybe some pros would come out with a spvp tutorial video on how to properly pvp for new players. The video could be locked to the top of the forums and have a link to the video or videos explaining everything.

So when people are having trouble with pvp or have any questions, they could just reply to the thread with the video. I think that could go a really long way with helping new players and old players alike.

in PvP

Posted by: JTGuevara.9018

JTGuevara.9018

This thread is so funny!

I played pvp since release. We actually HAD a pvp tutorial way back then. Of course you could only access it once! Never again! You were shipped to the small island south of HOTM and went through an event with an NPC talking….and…centaurs….and capture points…..I can’t even remember it was so long ago. I don’t what happened to it. I think the tutorial is either account-bound or ANet took it out later on.

in PvP

Posted by: Supreme.3164

Supreme.3164

Another Supreme? A die hard fan

in PvP

Dragon.8762

This thread is so funny!

I played pvp since release. We actually HAD a pvp tutorial way back then. Of course you could only access it once! Never again! You were shipped to the small island south of HOTM and went through an event with an NPC talking….and…centaurs….and capture points…..I can’t even remember it was so long ago. I don’t what happened to it. I think the tutorial is either account-bound or ANet took it out later on.

I remember that place too. I don’t know why Anet made that area inaccessible.

in PvP

Supreme.7352

This thread is so funny!

Well it taught what points were and how to stomp. It didn’t teach higher-level things like rotations and when to engage a point

in PvP

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Yep OP, this needs to happen. And don’t forget, how to call and focus a target.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in PvP

Supreme.7352

Just played a rank game where someone didn’t know how to stomp.

Please Anet, make this happen.

in PvP

Posted by: ibkillin.9610

ibkillin.9610

I agree need to revamp the one that they have and add important issues like those mentioned above in. Either that or revamp the maps and make them death match.

in PvP

Supreme.7352

I agree need to revamp the one that they have and add important issues like those mentioned above in. Either that or revamp the maps and make them death match.

A tutorial would fix this better than a revamp if the mode entirely.

in PvP

Posted by: MissCee.1295

MissCee.1295

The idea and suggestion for a comprehensive tutorial is not new. Personally I think if Anet want to attract and keep new players in pvp they need to do something to help educate them.

During last season with help from the community, I put together this: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Things-I-Wish-I-d-Known

There were requests made for it to be stickied. Of course, that hasn’t happened.

If anyone from PVP Devs would like to get involved, that would be great. The new system is a dramatic improvement on previous seasons, but we need to improve the general skill/knowledge level of players coming in.

My toons: Loki Thunderstruck, Loki Livewire,Loki Spellbound, Loki Meanstreak

Find pvp players: https://www.reddit.com/r/GuildWars2PvPTeams/