PvP S3 Survey & Early Findings

in PvP

Posted by: ShadowMageAlpha.7580

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

So we’re at the end of Season 3 today, and I’ve had my share of issues with this season, but I’m only one person.
I got to thinking about how everyone else fared this season, and the best way to do that is a SURVEY! WOOOOOOO!

If you did any PvP this season at all, please please please take this survey. Even if you did not have a major opinion of this season, take this survey. I want as complete a picture as possible, and that can only happen if as many people fill out this survey as possible.
If you know anyone else who PvP’s, I would appreciate you directing them to this survey too! Many thanks.

Here’s the survey . Results will probably be posted in about a week or two. Depends on how long it takes for people to stop answering.

Edit:
Survey Synopsis:
The survey asked a number of questions concerning the player’s performance in this season of PvP. These question were fact-based, although there was nothing to stop the respondent from lying. I expect that the vast majority of people would answer the questions (relatively) accurately. Such questions included:

• The version of the game (Heart of Thorns, Core Game, F2P)
  • Earned division
  • Tier within this division
  • Legendary multiplier (if applicable)
  • Win percentage
  • Longest win streaks
  • Longest lose streaks

The second part of the survey asked the respondents to share their opinion concerning the state of various aspects of the PvP season. The questions were multiple choice with 6 answers available (“Very Poor”, “Somewhat Poor”, “Neither Good Nor Poor”, “Somewhat Good”, “Very Good”, and “N/A”). In the graphs, these responses are ordered 1 through 5 for V. Poor to V. Good, leaving “N/A” unchanged. These questions consisted of the following:

• Match-making quality
  • Class balance
  • Class variety in matches
  • Build variety
  • PvP rewards
  • Ranked Progression
  • Map Mechanics

The final questions were text boxes which allowed the respondent to type out their response to the questions. These were all open-ended opinion-oriented questions. Currently I have not analyzed this data, as it’s far more complex to attempt to analyze data such as this. I will get to this eventually though…
Only three questions asked:

• Which classes were over-powered?
  • Which classes were under-powered?
  • What other comments do you have?

Data time:
Gallery of all graphs and charts

Note: The Frequency graphs for division-based sorting are quite misleading. You must look at the approximate percentages of each division. This is because the number of responses in each division varies quite widely.

Interpretations:
Note: As I get more time to review these graphs, I’ll be editing more stuff in! Be sure to check back later for more findings and conclusions]

• The win percentage graph is unusual. Given the math behind games of PvP (there must be an equal number of winners and losers for every game), one would expect a bell curve centered at 50%. However, the graph is heavily skewed above 50%. This is a good indication that my survey has a very small sample size. I expect that if/when more people fill out this survey, the graph will trend to a bell curve. For now, though, this gives a good indication of the general quality of people who took the survey and how accurate my survey is.
  • The match-making graphs are a bit peculiar, but not entirely surprising. While in general, a wide margin of people believe the match-making system to be “Somewhat Poor” or “Very Poor”, when you break this down according to divisions, there is an obvious pattern.
    All the divisions but one hold to the general trend; the divisions mostly feel as though that match-making is quite poor, with a majority of respondents indicating their displeasure with match-making. But, Legend-division players are much more spread across the field. While almost no Legend players believe the match-making as “very good”, the group as whole is not nearly as displeased with the match-making. (Perhaps this is in part because they made it to legend?)
  • An over-whelming number of people (nearly 70%) seemed to indicate that build variety this season was either Very Poor or Somewhat Poor. This view is held by all divisions and it seems to be an even larger issue that match-making, which is interesting, because match-making was what I seemed to see the most complaining about.

Conclusion:
While this (hopefully) is far from done, indications seem to point toward people not hating Season 3 as much as I might have expected. While peopled seemed to (generally) hate the match-making and lack of build variety, most other facets I surveyed were more middle-of-the road or even positive.

My sample size is still quite small in comparison to the PvP community at large (which itself surprised me as the PvP community feels small). Hopefully this post will encourage people to complete the survey themselves (hint hint) so I can continue to collect more data.

Quick References:
Survey
Full Graph Gallery

If you have any ideas on what patterns I could look for (i.e. “See how win-rate affects match-making feedback.”), feel free to let me know! You folks may think of something I do not!

Thanks again folks, and, once again, if you have not done the survey, please PLEASE PLEASE do the survey. The more responses the better!

(edited by ShadowMageAlpha.7580)

in PvP

Posted by: coro.3176

coro.3176

Didn’t see any glaring issues with the survey. Hope you get some responses.

in PvP

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

Didn’t see any glaring issues with the survey. Hope you get some responses.

I’ve thrown this up on Reddit and it’s gotten me quite a number of responses. I’ve got a bit under 800 right now, hoping to get more.

in PvP

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

and where can we see the results ourself? rather interested what the community as a whole thinks

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

This, publish the results please.

Mesmerising Girl

in PvP

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

I’ll be updating this thread and/or making a new one. I’ve got some early results here: link.

I would have put the chart in this thread itself, but… the formatting for Reddit is very particular, and I do not want to try to convert that to this forum. x-x
But yeah, once I get more responses, get a bit more time into interpreting the data, I’ll be posting my findings as well, as the complete data set, so people can look at the data and try things out on their own.

in PvP

Posted by: Renkencen.6127

Renkencen.6127

Err I’m not good at Match (or rather I forgot) when it come to percentage.

Other than that I had filled it out.

in PvP

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

I’ve been seeing some interesting trends, but I very much could use more survey responses. Once I get home, I’ll post some early data and some early interpretations.

in PvP

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

Sorry about the delay folks!
I’ve got some findings and interesting data. I need to format it for the GW2 forums. That might take a bit, but hopefully this will be up soon!

in PvP

ShadowMageAlpha.7580

Okay! The first post has been edited to include the data, conclusions, and links to graphs!

in PvP

Posted by: Lucred.1802

Lucred.1802

So we’re at the end of Season 3 today, and I’ve had my share of issues with this season, but I’m only one person.
I got to thinking about how everyone else fared this season, and the best way to do that is a SURVEY! WOOOOOOO!

If you did any PvP this season at all, please please please take this survey. Even if you did not have a major opinion of this season, take this survey. I want as complete a picture as possible, and that can only happen if as many people fill out this survey as possible.
If you know anyone else who PvP’s, I would appreciate you directing them to this survey too! Many thanks.

Here’s the survey . Results will probably be posted in about a week or two. Depends on how long it takes for people to stop answering.

Edit:
Survey Synopsis:
The survey asked a number of questions concerning the player’s performance in this season of PvP. These question were fact-based, although there was nothing to stop the respondent from lying. I expect that the vast majority of people would answer the questions (relatively) accurately. Such questions included:

• The version of the game (Heart of Thorns, Core Game, F2P)
  • Earned division
  • Tier within this division
  • Legendary multiplier (if applicable)
  • Win percentage
  • Longest win streaks
  • Longest lose streaks

The second part of the survey asked the respondents to share their opinion concerning the state of various aspects of the PvP season. The questions were multiple choice with 6 answers available (“Very Poor”, “Somewhat Poor”, “Neither Good Nor Poor”, “Somewhat Good”, “Very Good”, and “N/A”). In the graphs, these responses are ordered 1 through 5 for V. Poor to V. Good, leaving “N/A” unchanged. These questions consisted of the following:

• Match-making quality
  • Class balance
  • Class variety in matches
  • Build variety
  • PvP rewards
  • Ranked Progression
  • Map Mechanics

The final questions were text boxes which allowed the respondent to type out their response to the questions. These were all open-ended opinion-oriented questions. Currently I have not analyzed this data, as it’s far more complex to attempt to analyze data such as this. I will get to this eventually though…
Only three questions asked:

• Which classes were over-powered?
  • Which classes were under-powered?
  • What other comments do you have?

Data time:
Gallery of all graphs and charts

Note: The Frequency graphs for division-based sorting are quite misleading. You must look at the approximate percentages of each division. This is because the number of responses in each division varies quite widely.

Interpretations:
Note: As I get more time to review these graphs, I’ll be editing more stuff in! Be sure to check back later for more findings and conclusions]

• The win percentage graph is unusual. Given the math behind games of PvP (there must be an equal number of winners and losers for every game), one would expect a bell curve centered at 50%. However, the graph is heavily skewed above 50%. This is a good indication that my survey has a very small sample size. I expect that if/when more people fill out this survey, the graph will trend to a bell curve. For now, though, this gives a good indication of the general quality of people who took the survey and how accurate my survey is.
  • The match-making graphs are a bit peculiar, but not entirely surprising. While in general, a wide margin of people believe the match-making system to be “Somewhat Poor” or “Very Poor”, when you break this down according to divisions, there is an obvious pattern.
    All the divisions but one hold to the general trend; the divisions mostly feel as though that match-making is quite poor, with a majority of respondents indicating their displeasure with match-making. But, Legend-division players are much more spread across the field. While almost no Legend players believe the match-making as “very good”, the group as whole is not nearly as displeased with the match-making. (Perhaps this is in part because they made it to legend?)
  • An over-whelming number of people (nearly 70%) seemed to indicate that build variety this season was either Very Poor or Somewhat Poor. This view is held by all divisions and it seems to be an even larger issue that match-making, which is interesting, because match-making was what I seemed to see the most complaining about.

Conclusion:
While this (hopefully) is far from done, indications seem to point toward people not hating Season 3 as much as I might have expected. While peopled seemed to (generally) hate the match-making and lack of build variety, most other facets I surveyed were more middle-of-the road or even positive.

My sample size is still quite small in comparison to the PvP community at large (which itself surprised me as the PvP community feels small). Hopefully this post will encourage people to complete the survey themselves (hint hint) so I can continue to collect more data.

Quick References:
Survey
Full Graph Gallery

If you have any ideas on what patterns I could look for (i.e. “See how win-rate affects match-making feedback.”), feel free to let me know! You folks may think of something I do not!

Thanks again folks, and, once again, if you have not done the survey, please PLEASE PLEASE do the survey. The more responses the better!

An educated guess as to why you got a small sample size:
The vast majority of league participants are casual players in it solely for the wings. They do not research builds beyond copy/paste from metabattle, they do not visit forums, they will never see this survey.

This leaves almost exclusively “serious” PvP players watching the forums, and thus responding to your survey. This would, generally, trend towards the upper third of skill level simply by its very nature, which would also skew your w/l ratio.

in PvP

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

Not this nonsense again.

1). The people who rage are on the forums yes. But… The people who care most are on the forum

2). This is my own personal research but asking around ingame reveals players by percentage say similar things to the survey.

3). If the meta copying players don’t participate in the forums because they are not pvp focused players it is likely they wouldn’t give a knowledgeable opinion anyway.

4). This is my personal pet peeve. The forums were made to discuss issues discrediting it based on sample size is foolish. Adverts are there to praise the game not the forums that is why you see complaints.

If the balance team sees an issue here, they should poll the in-game player base to see if the data is statistically significant. Well, if only they would do that…

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game