PvP has seriously amazing game design

in PvP

Posted by: Yasha.5963

Yasha.5963

This game has the single best multiplayer component of any game I have ever played. My analysis is based on general PvP principles which apply to MMO’s and FPS games etc. so it’s not specifics I’m getting into but rather general ideas.

1 – Downed mode. An amazing tactical addition to pvp that enhances team play and leads to some of the most exciting and game-turning crutch plays I have ever experienced. When someone is downed, do I revive, go for the stomp, cleave? Do I have a utility/skill that can secure a downstate play? The split second decisions made during some downstate plays are some of the most memorable and heart-pounding moments in my gaming life.

2 – If I had a dollar for every stun ability and counter in this game… The tactical depth of how stuns/disables and counters work in GW2 is ingenious. Whether its saving your invun for a Mesmer disable into shatter combo or setting up team burst through baiting cds so you can apply the hard disable/stun/immobilize, GW2 keeps you on your toes.

3 – Mesmers/Rogues – Some builds for these classes are the hardest to master in PvP, but incredibly satisfying when you get the hang of them. They are classic high risk/high reward classes- generally one mistake will get you killed or forced to retreat at best, but they have the potential for excellent burst and utility. Some thief builds in particular have an amazing tool kit and an extremely “hands on” playstyle, that for me personally is the most fun way to play even though you are always living on a razors edge.

4 – It is just awesome. In general when I play a PvP game, MMO or FPS, I like there to be a skill component to the game. There is a vast skill element in GW2. MMO’s in general are all about getting into groups and stacking on some poor individual. In GW2, this is hardly an issue unless you rotate poorly. Even if some extremely skilled person manages to kill one of the up to 5 people ganging up on him, it is extremely difficult to beat a group – although most extremely skilled individuals would not put themselves into a 5vs1 fight.

In addition, the combat system is amazing. Not only are there a variety of gap closers and openers, there are also “little things” like players hobbling when crippled, saying “I’m burning” when on fire, the largely clear skill animations that get you watching – and listening – for tells instead of looking at cast bars. With a few strange exceptions –like asura – the game appears to have been built ground up to facilitate deep and exciting pvp combat.

These features make the PvP feel incredibly fulfilling and robust, as I’m being constantly forced to make decisions that can make or break a play. Or when I pull off a truly skilful play (admittedly rarely), I have a little grin on my face knowing that the other player, if they are worth the salt, is probably thinking how they could have thwarted me.

It’s truly amazing, and I often think the devs that made this must be so proud.

in PvP

Posted by: Lifestealer.4910

Lifestealer.4910

Such amazing design to the point where the game mode is almost dead, with only the same 100 people playing and pretending to be E-SPORTZZZZ

in PvP

Posted by: Xista.7391

Xista.7391

Such amazing design to the point where the game mode is almost dead, with only the same 100 people playing and pretending to be E-SPORTZZZZ

I’ve come to the conclusion that mmorpg’s PVP is only as successful as the PvE.

Just take WoW for example. Nearly 10 million players. The PvP is crap. If you knew nothing about WoW, you’d be absolutely lost. I played PvP for ~5 years, and I still can’t follow arena streams. Yet their streams get 10s of thousands of views.

Any other MMORPG PvP doesn’t even compare. Rift, Wildstar, ESO, 100x other that came out in the past 5 years….

GW2 is by far the best MMORPG PvP out there. But it’s only small, because GW2’s PvE population is small. If the game had the playerbase of WoW, we’d totally be esprorts.

In-game opinions of Skyhammer: http://i.imgur.com/FKymDjC.jpg

(edited by Xista.7391)

in PvP

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

It is really the best pvp game after DaoC. At the moment the balance is far better then in DaoC.

I love GW2 and hope it will exists for the next some years.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

The upcoming pvp patch in December looks promising.
If Anet’s Devs in the CDI (collaborated development initiative, which by the way, is an ingenuous thread) department hold up to their developmental ideas in the next 6 month – year time frame, we’re talking about some huge changes to GW2 as a whole. And not just the awesome, well balanced pvp experience. Raiding, GvG, PvP; GW2 as a whole will get a facelift in months to come.
I hope the sponsor/advertising department show the game’s pvp and pve evolution of things and bring on a bigger community.

/fingers crossed

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Just take WoW for example. Nearly 10 million players. The PvP is crap. If you knew nothing about WoW, you’d be absolutely lost. I played PvP for ~5 years, and I still can’t follow arena streams. Yet their streams get 10s of thousands of views.

Any other MMORPG PvP doesn’t even compare. Rift, Wildstar, ESO, 100x other that came out in the past 5 years….

GW2 is by far the best MMORPG PvP out there. But it’s only small, because GW2’s PvE population is small. If the game had the playerbase of WoW, we’d totally be esprorts.

How does GW1 fits in your theory?

in PvP

Posted by: Rothem.8174

Rothem.8174

Much better than that other thread

in PvP

Posted by: feroxeu.7416

feroxeu.7416

Pretending? Cash weeklies, amatuer weeklies, Lan tournaments for 50k x3, complete reworks on sPvP, more teams, more competition and so on…

Sounds pretty Esports to me. We just dont have the crowds yet

in PvP

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

Um no. WoW is an anomaly. Regardless of the quality of future MMORPGs no game will ever get the sub numbers that WoW did. It was the perfect storm of devs with a sterling reputation and when they released it the MMORPG market was very soft with very few qaulity MMORPGs. WoWs sub numbers are not a reflection of its quality unless you really think its 10-50x better then all MMORPGs released ever. Also, I don’t understand how you can claim GW2 has a small pve base. GW2 is one of the most successful MMORPGs since WoW. If it has a small pve base then so does every other single MMORPG besides WoW. Seriously. GW2 pvp is ok although the popularity of it would indicate bad.

(edited by brannigan.9831)

in PvP

Posted by: Sunshine.5014

Sunshine.5014

I agree that the combat of gw2 is amazing, easily the best I have played, and I played a lot of games. It was sluggish for 2 years because they refuse to balance it right, with the 6-months per balance patch approach. That resulted in a lot of people left the game.

The current meta, although imperfect, is indeed the best meta we have for gw2. I hope they can keep releasing patches every two months, and listen to feedback from the community.

Gray out the HP for future condition damage
Already quit PvP. Just log in here and there to troll.

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I agree that the combat of gw2 is amazing, easily the best I have played, and I played a lot of games. It was sluggish for 2 years because they refuse to balance it right, with the 6-months per balance patch approach. That resulted in a lot of people left the game.

The current meta, although imperfect, is indeed the best meta we have for gw2. I hope they can keep releasing patches every two months, and listen to feedback from the community.

I slightly disagree. At the games release we had the Power-meta which to me, was the best meta due to proper risk/reward. Now everyone run’s sustainable “safe” builds.

Edit: amazing combat system though

in PvP

Posted by: SoLeciTO.3490

SoLeciTO.3490

Amazing combat system . . . . the best in a mmo IMO . . .

. . . poor application . . . sad.

in PvP

Posted by: Chicago Jack.5647

Chicago Jack.5647

I slightly disagree. At the games release we had the Power-meta which to me, was the best meta due to proper risk/reward.

Back when Mug critted for 6k, azn signet was a one-skill 150% dmg hit, pets casually critted for 8k…

You sure you don’t have rose-tinted glasses Arken?

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Of course this game has an amazing combat system. And finally we are at a stage where anet is smoothing out the many rough edges that came with it. So much potential that is finally realized hopefully.
Also @Arken, you serious? The old metas were disasterous. You think ele is “op” now? Back then ele was godlike and 5x better than this. Warrior then was a useless pile of bricks as were necros. Engis could one shot you with hundred nades, mesmers had no LoS limits on their phantasms and clones, thieves could one shot with mug/c&d combo and don’t get me started on quickness…effin timewarp = the “we won this teamfight already kthnxbuhbye” button. Fun maybe while it lasted but I don’t miss it at all.

Säïnt

in PvP

Yasha.5963

And yet, that other thread, written by what appears to be a complete noob, has 74 responses and this one only 13.

in PvP

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I slightly disagree. At the games release we had the Power-meta which to me, was the best meta due to proper risk/reward.

Back when Mug critted for 6k, azn signet was a one-skill 150% dmg hit, pets casually critted for 8k…

You sure you don’t have rose-tinted glasses Arken?

That was indeed the case but it’s still far superior to the boring sustained-condition meta we’ve been dealing with over a year now. Those only really needed a nerf to their dmg not an introduction to what we have now.

in PvP

Posted by: TheLargeUnit.2793

TheLargeUnit.2793

Totally agree with OP, now I just want a couple more maps to add to the TeamQ lineup.

Achmed Afro Thunder ~ Six Ft Pole Achmed ~ Dharok The Ravenous
Long Live [ASAP] Zerg: The greatest guild that ever was or will be.

in PvP

Posted by: Goliath.7546

Goliath.7546

And yet, that other thread, written by what appears to be a complete noob, has 74 responses and this one only 13.

http://eduncovered.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/y-u-mad.jpg

You created a new thread, LoL

It’s all to obvious that someone is under aged when they call off someone who has an opposing opinion to them a “noob” simply for disagreeing with them.

Provide constructive reasons and someone may take you seriously.

(edited by Goliath.7546)

in PvP

Posted by: vincecontix.1264

vincecontix.1264

Amazing combat system . . . . the best in a mmo IMO . . .

. . . poor application . . . sad.

Thread.

Shikamaru X Thief, Warrior, Mesmer, Engi(FT leader)
Highest ranked reached 28 soloq
Isle of Janthir

in PvP

Posted by: Rylen.2147

Rylen.2147

I find it so hard to understand how people make an in depth post and yet say “Rogues” instead of Thief. Questions the reliability of the post if they don’t even know that the professions are.

in PvP

Yasha.5963

I find it so hard to understand how people make an in depth post and yet say “Rogues” instead of Thief. Questions the reliability of the post if they don’t even know that the professions are.

I agree.

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

The other thread is fine. He is just speaking from a different position. Yes it is obvious he is new but feedback from new players is equally if not more important. I would expect a fellow game dev to be smart about it when reading such feedback and grade their response appropriately. Gw2 does seem unfriendly towards new players for I am sure 100s of reasons that may not seem obvious to experienced players.

As for a devs response it is very possible to address some of these concerns, not all entirely obviously but enough that it would help new players understand why certain things are happening and help them learn.

in PvP

Posted by: Forsaken.4215

Forsaken.4215

Arenanet like to take their time with content although gw1 had a lot of new things come quicker than expected i expect them to bring much more into the game and not just pvp wise. If they where to rip out more now then the game would die a few months later whereas if they take their time then more people will play what it is now and the older players will come back when there is newer content. Take the release of cantha in gw1 for example it brought new maps and skills for pve aswell as sick maps for pvp. It got an even bigger crowd and by just witnessing all these things happen i am sure arenanet know what they are doing! It being a free game means you dont have to be there every day getting your moneys worth because you already have it. Peaaace

kenjutsu

in PvP

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

What I enjoy most is when the “Rogue” players spell it Rouge. It’s their own kitten class.

Off topic completely as it isn’t really relevant to this game, just to that snippet.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

in PvP

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Guild Wars 1’s PvP had amazing design. GW2 is good but it has way too many balance problems. It’s far from being as good as GW1 PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

1st of all it’s pretty easy to follow WoW arena streams.. they aren’t cluttered with a billion particle effects like GW2 but sure, try to understand any game when you have no knowledge of it… 2nd of all the game has 10+ million players because they feel Blizz have added a sufficient amount content consistently that cater to all players. Ofc they have made mistakes but never do they out right ignore the playerbase and remain silent on development status for years at a time like ANet. (hilarious ‘policy’ btw. who the hell came up with that?)

I will tell you some simple facts why GW2 pvp is not popular at all. It is not fun to watch, it’s cluttered with effects, very spammy, and confined to 1 mode and it is conquest of all things. Not a favorite in any pvp game as far as I know.

6 months for ’balance just to create more passive proc cheese and AI builds. Evades are constantly spammed instead of this reactionary combat that was supposed to be. I could go on but you get my points I am sure.

Pvp will never be popular as long as ANet forces us into borequest and certainly with the games stale state and hour long living stories I know more and more ppl are leaving / taking breaks so certainly we will not get any new blood. If this game is to thrive then there needs to be about a billion times better communication & effort to make the game great.

I don’t get it, why have a dumb policy that prevents you from communicating with your players about future development projects ? I was able to get full disclosure during Warlords development … get rekt ANet, lern 2 develop honestly ….

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

in PvP

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

1st of all it’s pretty easy to follow WoW arena streams.. they aren’t cluttered with a billion particle effects like GW2

Why would you offer your time and add to the bean count of a streamer who is not intelligent enough to turn off or tone down the particle effects in options?

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c