PvP potions and Guild Halls

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Let’s put aside all the game balance discussion for a moment and talk about a different issue.

For Guild Halls, some upgrades require (a massive amount of) PvP Potions. They also happen to have no use for the new shards of glory material.

That is absurd. Doing the dailies and getting those potions for some reward spikes are half the fun I have with reward tracks, and I dare to say that applies to many of you as well. The game is pretty much forcing pvp players to sacrifice whatever little they have of a reward system for another system they may desire.

PvE players do not have to sacrifice systematic progression (masteries) to get Guild Hall’s upgrades. Why do PvP players have to?

PvE players play the game, enjoy their “new and meaningul endgame progression systems”, get rewarded (with gold or mats) and then they may deposit those materials to the GH, or not, if they so desire. Perfectly fine.

In contrast, the main source of loot for PvP players comes from reward tracks. The main way for a pvp player to contribute to their guild’s GH is from the rewards that they get by filling reward tracks. If that was all to it, then it would have been perfectly fine: it would have been a parallel to what PvE players have to do. But it seems that Anet thought it was a good idea that, in addition to that – no, in opposition of that, pvp players that want to invest in a GH must not only hinder their only enjoyable reward system, but in doing so, also hinder their main source of materials, which would allow them to contribute (directly or indirectly) to a GH in a normal way, because pvp potions are also needed for guild upgrades.

What’s funny is that HoT brought a new, pvp-only material called shards of glory, which would have been the perfect fit for those guild upgrades: you play pvp, you fill your reward tracks and do your dailies, gain mats and shards, and you would then invest them or not invest them on guild upgrades. That would have been simple, that would have been perfect, that would have been like what happens with PvE’s systems already. But no. Instead, pvp players that want to contribute to their guild’s GH have to take away a bit of whatever little they have.

Meanwhile, the interaction between GH and shards of glory – which are exactly what should have been there, isntead of PvP Potions – is zero, nothing, nada. Zero upgrades that require shards. Shards are an actual reward – they should have been used there. Potions are not a reward exactly – they are more like reward boosters: their purpose is to make the rewarding experience more rewarding.

It’s like Anet has no clear direction internally. They promise to the entire playerbase that they want their new reward systems to feel rewarding, meaningful and enjoyable, and then they force a subsection of their playerbase to have a less rewarding, a less meaningful and a less enjoyable reward system just so they can invest in GHs. Inconsistent and schizofrenic.

TL;DR: Contributing to guild upgrades:
As a PvE player, comes at the cost of your loot (as expected);
As a PvP player, comes at the cost of how rewarding and psychologically enjoyable the entire reward system can be;

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I actually quite agree with this. Shards of Glory should have been the upgrade material instead of PvP potions.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in PvP

Posted by: Krysard.1364

Krysard.1364

Agree with all of this, Anet can play with my soloQ, but not with my potions!

M I L K B O I S

in PvP

Posted by: Asato.5479

Asato.5479

In PvE, you can do 30-60g in 2-3h. (or more, dunno I’ve been told so from players that are really rich imo, and I don’t play PvE). In PvP, I’ve done 30g max in 2 weeks.

THEY FUSION PVE AND PVP. So now, all the cool things about “I PvP, I don’t care about PvE and golds” are gone ! And naturally you become jealous of those guys with their full legendaries. In the end, you are like “kitten YOU kitten YOU kitten YOU ARENA NET”…. If you want one, it’s 300€ !!! kitten YOU
WHY ARE YOU FORCING ME TO DO PVE?!!!!

20€ for a tormented shield skin, are you kidding me? What if I want more of those skins?! I have to become a millionaire irl or what?!
In league of legends, I can buy 4 or more skins for that money.

Why did I come back into the game? Paying 44€ for unfinished and completely messy PvP ? Are they being like Riot, 2-3 weeks of OP champ at release and then nerf? Or are they completely blind kittens?

Why soooo little changes in 3,5 year?? Really?

@OP, the devs have never played PvP imo. Thus, they can’t see what’s wrong. PvP players have always been let down by Anet (in gw2, I guess). It’s obvious they have no direction at all…. They are like 50-60y old PvE-ers trying to do their job with a complete lack of passion & motivation, they have no vision of the PvP aspect (so it’s the image I get from their attitude, 0 communication at all). They aren’t even trying at least by testing stuff etc. I don’t know man, I’m so sick of them. I come everyday in the forum since a week or two, and all I can see is : players fantasizing about the futur of GW2, about stuff they’d like, about the balance they’d like, etc and all this for 0 results from this stubborn Anet.

Btw, wtf are those shards of glory??! I mean there’s nothing I can buy with them…

in PvP

Posted by: Vennyhedgie.5369

Vennyhedgie.5369

I cannot for the life of me understand how they thought putting personal beneficial items as a requirement for guild halls. Not only are you making players have to chose their own benefit over someone else’s, but for pvp only players you’re basically gimping all their bonus chests making their dailies meaningless.

in PvP

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

someone else brought something like this up,

PvP has no masteries for PvP progression and you bring up a excellent point of us having to eat our rewards. Ive always done a little bit of PvE and alot more PvP. So its frustrating have my guild members being done with the new story. Being lvl 30 for the new system and im at 5.

But PvP and WvW need some improvements for sure and i hope they are looking at it.

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Good to see that other players feel the same way I do.

Interestingly, this problem also happens with Luck, so it’s not a pvp-only problem. But luck is a simple and secondary system in pve, while reward tracks are the core of pvp’s rewards, so pvp players are more heavily affected.

I have no idea why Anet’s idea of “meaningful and rewarding systems” includes making existing systems “less rewarding and less meaningful”. It’s contradictory and somewhat self-destructive.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in PvP

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

Nah, I don’t really see it that way.

Guild halls run at the expense of players. Considering how much gold you can earn in PvE if you sell things like flaxseeds, sand, ectos, quartz, etc. instead of donating them, I think it’s relatively fair.

in PvP

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

PvE players do not have to sacrifice systematic progression (masteries) to get Guild Hall’s upgrades. Why do PvP players have to?

Partially not true, just look at silverwastes shovels. They can’t progress magmuna mastery when on in the new maps, there for they have to pause their mastry track to farm the shovels (also not trade-able as pvp potions).

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in PvP

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Partially not true, just look at silverwastes shovels. They can’t progress magmuna mastery when on in the new maps, there for they have to pause their mastry track to farm the shovels (also not trade-able as pvp potions).

But when on Silverwastes, they’re progressing Core Tyria masteries. They’re still advancing through as normal, just a different set.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in PvP

Posted by: SlayerSixx.5763

SlayerSixx.5763

The game is pretty much forcing pvp players to sacrifice whatever little they have of a reward system for another system they may desire.

Don’t want it? Don’t get it. It isn’t mandatory for your fun, so ignore it. That’s like complaining that the new mercades costs too much when you’re a bird.

in PvP

Posted by: Absconditus.6804

Absconditus.6804

For those wondering what Shards of Glory are for, it’s to craft Legendary precursors. You need 100 to craft the first step. It’s a way of bringing sPvP into the Legendary crafting process. You can also sell them on the Trading Post, so there’s that.

Personally, I don’t mind the Potions being a Guild Hall upgrade ingredient. I am even upgrading my own solo Guild after claiming Gilded Hollows with the help of a friend. You can donate 1-3 of 6 Daily potential Potions, and slowly get what you want as an Guild Hall Upgrade. When multiple people does this, it won’t take that long—for me it’ll take longer, which is fine. It’ll still be less than a couple weeks in most cases, and I can do other upgrades in the meantime. A Guild with 5 people can get most upgrades in two days, by doing their Daily and donating all 6 Potions of PvP Reward to the upgrade. Most Upgrades are 50, one is 20, two are 100 (4 days.. big deal?), and one is 200 (a week with the leftovers you may have plopped into the Treasury over time). A Guild of 10 people can do most of these in a day, at worst, 4 days. It’s not that steep.

As a PvP player, you are progressing your PvP Rank while you are getting them. You are progressing your chosen Reward Track, and keep in mind that the Potions of PvP Reward are just 1.25% of the overall bar.. it’s not that big a deal. PvE players can’t use their Writ of Experience or Tome of Knowledge rewards to progress their Masteries mind you, and Tomes are used for some Guild Hall upgrades as well. And no, it doesn’t matter if you are capped on your Rank. Masteries can and will be capped as well, so using that as a point for PvE and saying it’s not the same for sPvP would be a bit a tiny bit hypocritical.

Vella Absconditus | Human Mesmer
Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Absconditus.6804)