Ranger Mobility for tPvP

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

I have used LR in my power build for a LONG time simply because I NEEDED the extra mobility. Sure, sometimes I used it as a stunbreak but 70% of the time I would just blow it to get to a node faster. Since, I’ve been using runes of the traveler, which is a pretty lame substitution compared to other classes.

I’d try to suggest something worthwhile, but I know its all falling on deaf ears.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

Let’s see. This is how it should work (it doesn’t). Class that has to mele the most, gets highest mobility. Class that has to mele the least, has ranged attacks for 1500 in rabid fire succession, gets the least mobility.

I have to run 1500 further than you before I can start attacking, then I am in the middle of the kitt, have less mobility than you, less stun break with practically no escape and you come to ask for mobility buffs?

LOL
Suck it up

^^this

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

Let’s see. This is how it should work (it doesn’t). Class that has to mele the most, gets highest mobility. Class that has to mele the least, has ranged attacks for 1500 in rabid fire succession, gets the least mobility.

I have to run 1500 further than you before I can start attacking, then I am in the middle of the kitt, have less mobility than you, less stun break with practically no escape and you come to ask for mobility buffs?

LOL
Suck it up

Hmm….you know….what your saying….MIGHT make sense if there were not a effing MASSIVE amount of gap closers in the game. Also if there werent more methods of taking out ranged attacks than melee attacks. Also if being ranged didnt rely on you being full glass and giving up most of your defenses. Also if nearly every class in the game didnt have the ability to take a weapon that counters that attack.

Its a shame. But sadly all of those are true. Meaning what your saying does NOT make sense.

Ghost Yak

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

so many longbow rangers out there right now. it is getting annoying already let alone giving them buffs.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydiv.1620

infantrydiv.1620

LOL
Suck it up

In reality, longbow Ranger isn’t meta. Also, every single Meta spec has adequate gap closers OR 1000-1500 range attacks already.

I wonder how many more poorly thought out responses (complaining about something that isn’t even played) I’m going to have to respond to on this thread.

Ranger//Necro

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

so many longbow rangers out there right now. it is getting annoying already let alone giving them buffs.

Comments like these make me feel the same as when I am talking to a person who believes fictitious characters are real.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Hate to tell ya mate but the archer archetype has been a popular one for a really long thing for people that prefer positioning over muscle memory. Especially since its only just recently become something even close to viable. Now people that have wanted to play it but have never been able to due to the the pathetic performance actually have a chance. So your seeing alot of people with (in some cases) years of experience at playing archer classes finally getting the playstyle they have wanted all along. Dont expect them to give it up any time soon.

And thats despite the face that archer rangers are still significantly weaker than the melee/condi alternatives. Primarily because there so reliant on positioning.

The ONLY thing increasing movement speed would due to archer rangers in particular (since that seems to be the only build your worried about?) is allow them to re position themselves to deal with certain SLOW enemies.

It wont do anything at all to protect them against

Thieves(all builds),

Warriors(stance builds or any build with resistance to movement impairment (last I checked all of them)),

Mesmers(Stealth shatter burst will still be just as effective as it is now),

Guardians (Meditation guards will have no problem with),

Engineers (tool kit,chill grenades,immobs,stuns, cripples will all negate the speed increase),

Conquest mode in general (itl help rangers get from point to point faster but theyl still primarily be +1ners instead of node fighters)

Ghost Yak

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I do not see what the issue here is with mobility. Are people concerned rangers cannot ‘get away’? You have swoop, 2-leap on sword, and even both the dagger evade and poison evade (when no target is selected) creates space. Then there is entangle, that roots their target and lets them create space. None of those work? Then you have a knockback on a 10s feated cd. Still no good? Cast LF which gives tons of space, abd cripple with either dagger or barrage or the pet.

Or is the complaint targets are getting away? Barrage has a cripple. dagger has a cripple. Entable is a root. And the axe has a pull.

And of course, you could choose to use the signet for added speed. One must make sacrifices if thats your concern (i wouldnt, but thats up to you).

I think the ranger community is getting a bit greedy lately.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

I do not see what the issue here is with mobility. Are people concerned rangers cannot ‘get away’? You have swoop, 2-leap on sword, and even both the dagger evade and poison evade (when no target is selected) creates space. Then there is entangle, that roots their target and lets them create space. None of those work? Then you have a knockback on a 10s feated cd. Still no good? Cast LF which gives tons of space, abd cripple with either dagger or barrage or the pet.

Or is the complaint targets are getting away? Barrage has a cripple. dagger has a cripple. Entable is a root. And the axe has a pull.

And of course, you could choose to use the signet for added speed. One must make sacrifices if thats your concern (i wouldnt, but thats up to you).

I think the ranger community is getting a bit greedy lately.

Let’s get something straight here: I’ve already mentioned how many other classes have extremely easy mobility access (Thief, Warrior, Ele, Engineer). They aren’t making “sacrifices” like giving up their utility or rune spots just to be able to move around the map at a decent speed.

Furthermore, I will say it again: running a mobility signet in PvP is not viable. Even mentioning this as an option makes it look like you have literally no idea about PvP or what makes a strong build.

Ranger//Necro

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Solstice.1097

as a warrior i have to choose between ALL my vigor vs a 25% move speed increase. i COULD run signet of fury instead of battle standard, but i choose not to. doesn’t mean i’m complaining warriors are slow. i could run GS if i wanted.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Because the role the class/spec is trying to fill has no impact on how much mobility they need, obviously.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Wintersnight.3061

Wintersnight.3061

I’ve played High Level Arena Hunter competitively in another game for many years, I’ve now moved over to this game as the only game I play.

There are 4 main issues for a Kiting Ranger in this game.

1. Mud Trap is 3/4 seconds…too long. it needs to be instant cast at point blank range, but have an animation as it travels if being thrown so skilled people can dodge it.
2. No ability to bait dodges without penalty. Warrior can bait cooldowns without putting his cast on full cooldown – Rangers cannot use the “Stow Weapon” trick to bait CDs – if you stow weapon in the middle of the cast, it goes full CD
3. SB needs to evade back double it’s current length.
4. Lightning Reflexes should work like Mesmer Phase Retreat and not be effected by terrain and be able to move back up the ledge.
The Kiting Ranger in this game is too dependent on the positioning for it to ever be considered a threat as a high level.

Cindy Lou Who, Retired Ranger
Quinn Wintersnight, Guardian

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

Correct, you could also use Warhorn which is like 90% swiftness up time, but you choose not to (I am guessing)…. You choose a slow build…you be slow. You are what you choose to be

Lol…..you and a few others are totally missing infantry’s point. You keep saying things over and over again when you need to re-read his proposed changes.

No one is saying Rangers have terrible mobility. All we are saying is that we are pigeon holed into certain weapon sets to achieve similar mobility of other classes. If I want to run Shortbow and Axe/Torch, I would need to to take SotH which leaves me with 2 utility slots – big sacrifice. If I run shouts for swiftness, I have to put 6 points into WS and take a Utility – even more of a sacrifice. You understand dood?

I hate to be that guy, but please stop regurgitating stuff over and over.

Now that that’s settled, can you link me a Ranger build that has the same mobility to compete with the number 2 spot in infantry’s original post without using Sword, Lightning Reflexes and Greatsword all in one build. Please prove me wrong.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

(edited by ItIsFinished.9462)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Gotta love how the people against the changes simply point back at what they have already said without addressing any of the points people have brought up against them.

(The sky is red) uhh no its blue im looking at it and its a very nice shade of blue atm (but the sky is red "duh’) Dude im looking at it right now its blue (the sky is red though)

Ghost Yak

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

Gotta love how the people against the changes simply point back at what they have already said without addressing any of the points people have brought up against them.

(The sky is red) uhh no its blue im looking at it and its a very nice shade of blue atm (but the sky is red "duh’) Dude im looking at it right now its blue (the sky is red though)

You totally get it. I normally don’t post too much on the forums. I do frequent them though and when I come across players making valid points and trying to get a good conversation going, but the other side is completely ignoring these valid points I have to say something.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Rickster.8752

Rickster.8752

Lets be honest, power ranger will never be viable until thief is completely reworked. Otherwise no matter how good the ranger a mesmer/thief combo will just kitten them all game.

Official winner of solo queue MMR leaderboards – EU

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Im fine with thieves in general countering longbow rangers in a straight up fight. Largely because the longbow isnt a straight up fighting weapon. Its an ambush and +1 weapon. If a ranger with a longbow (ESPECIALLY if htat ranger is rolling sic em) comes up on a 1v1 between a thief and almost any class as long as that ranger positioned himself right so that the thief didnt see it coming that thief will have a VERY bad day.

We are VERY good at messing up thieves in the right situations.

There equally good at messing us up outside of those situations.

I think we just want the ability to make the right situation for ourselves more possible. Being able to quickly re position after a fight or when were spotted and someone moves to counter us will help with that ALOT.

Ghost Yak

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Eurantien.4632

Lets be honest, power ranger will never be viable until thief is completely reworked. Otherwise no matter how good the ranger a mesmer/thief combo will just kitten them all game.

I think this is totally wrong. The game itself gives you ways to deal with thieves, dodge. Moreover, they give you more ways as a ranger, with block and stealth, protect me, signet of stone, and LR. That being said, there is a very slim margin for error when that shadow shot hits and you have to dodge before the backstab occurs. Granted, this involves a fast reaction time (and a good enough computer that it can register the combo in “real time” for you to be able to react fast enough) but the options are available as is to deal with these other glass classes. Not to mention, you can physically stand in locations where teleports just don’t work. The main issue is lack of mobility, once someone is on top of you they are pretty much there to stay, and that a few other classes are a little over the top…

… but that gets into silly things…

like celestial ammy giving an extra 900ish stats…
like condi procs that cannot be dodged, blocked, or evades (GREAT COUNTERPLAY)!
like when that condi proc lands and you try to cleanse it but your pet is 601 units away.
like when you hit that necro and get fear chained by a proc for 3s, stunbreak it with LR only to proc nightmare before the evade occurs.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Sol.4310

Sol.4310

We require more swiftness cause Ranger’s KITE without swiftness we can’t even keep a target off us.

Sick of hearing this beating drum “1500 Range”, gap closers + swiftness = in my face in seconds so fast I can’t even run away. Engi/Ele/War/Thief can close on us so fast builds that use LB become really weak real fast, you forced to change to Melee which on a ranger is a joke as it has some of the craziest tell’s I’ve ever seen.

“Hi I’m a Engineer Stealth + Pull” gl dodging that or even being able to keep that combo at 1500 range, complain more about ranger’s not need swiftness cause of 1500 range.

If your War/Ele/Engi/Thief and complain about Ranger’s getting more swiftness you just need to learn how to play your playing classes that have both Range + mobility + gap closer.

Your backpoint bunker built to 1v1 and hold home and push far, you have no mobility as a RANGER. You won’t take a Ranger for that spot he is useless.

Also if your one of them *&$% that posts builds saying take this and do that Rangers are fine, you honestly have no idea wtf your talking about so please take the time to learn the class first before you talk like you know wtf your on about.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

Correct, you could also use Warhorn which is like 90% swiftness up time, but you choose not to (I am guessing)…. You choose a slow build…you be slow. You are what you choose to be

Get your kittening facts straight please. Warhorn is a 43% swiftness uptime when untraited, 54% when traited, and then of course you have to factor in that the 4th skill is almost useless.

Every post you make makes you look more ignorant, and someone who truly has no idea what goes into strong/viable builds.

Except for warhorn, Ranger’s “Swiftness giving skills” that you speak of are tied to in combat usage only

Ranger//Necro

(edited by infantrydiv.1620)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Solstice.1097

Get your kittening facts straight please. Warhorn is a 43% swiftness uptime when untraited, 54% when traited, and then of course you have to factor in that the 4th skill is almost useless.

Every post you make makes you look more ignorant, and someone who truly has no idea what goes into strong/viable builds.

Except for warhorn, Ranger’s “Swiftness giving skills” that you speak of are tied to in combat usage only

he was talking about warrior. he was quoting my post

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

First, the general run of posts assume too high a skill level on the part of average pvp players and therefore distort the issue with meaningless statistics.

The longbow + pet combo is already way overpowered. Ranger has more than enough mobility as it is, the top ranged weapon, traps, frequent access to stealth.

I think it’s shameful that you ask for buffs when you’re overbuffed as it is. I also think it’s pretty lame to pretend you don’t already have a movement speed signet.

Mesmerising Girl

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Wintersnight.3061

First, the general run of posts assume too high a skill level on the part of average pvp players and therefore distort the issue with meaningless statistics.

The longbow + pet combo is already way overpowered. Ranger has more than enough mobility as it is, the top ranged weapon, traps, frequent access to stealth.

I think it’s shameful that you ask for buffs when you’re overbuffed as it is. I also think it’s pretty lame to pretend you don’t already have a movement speed signet.

you have played a total of 23 Ranked games. 7 wins and 16 losses for a total of 8 points. I understand that in the beginning, a LB Ranger may seem like it’s strong, but once understand how you beat them, they are a wasted slot. This discussion if for tPvP and Rangers need help if anyone is going to want them on the team. As it stands right now – it doesnt work that way.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

I don’t know where you got those stats, but they are very incorrect. I’m currently level 64 in pvp. In my ( not very ) humble opinion it’s not a question of ranger powers that keeps them off teams.

Rather, it’s ranger personality. That, coupled with OP weapons. Rangers already do more than enough damage from max range. They have immob skills and a guided missile helper. In theory they ought to be a top pick.

They aren’t. Why? I propose that it’s because of excessive trolling, bandwagon glass bearbow rangers and a resulting feeling that ranger is a faceroll class.

Mesmerising Girl

(edited by Ithilwen.1529)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Wintersnight.3061

From here. http://www.gw2score.com/PvP just put in your Ithilwen.1529 under NA. If you like, you can look back at the pre-patch numbers too. You play a lot of hotjoin which is not where the competition happens for Rangers – except Quickcry who plays down there a lot – but he’s melee so it’s not on what we are speaking about. You think top level players who are playing for real money give a kitten about excessive trolling, bandwagon stuff? I wish you all the best in your gaming here at GW2.

PS, if you ever see a bearbow ranger – he’s faceroll for you. Kill him and mount his silly bear on your wall of shame.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

@Wintersnight.3061

No, I haven’t queue’d for hotjoin in many months and currently play ranked exclusively. So again, your information is poor.

To be clear I play for fun and have played over 1000 ranked matches. That’s hardly a newbie.

Regardless, I contend that rangers are already more than powerful enough. Going further, I will re iterate that I think rangers’ problems with being on teams are social, not game mechanics.

Mesmerising Girl

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

As long as noobs keep dying to rapid fire and thinking that it is OP you will receive NOTHING

Sorry Rangers LOL

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Atherakhia.4086

Ghost, it’s more involved than that. What other classes do is determine the role they want to play and optimize their build for that role.

This is why a Warrior who goes HamBow doesn’t need mobility.. because he chose the role of a bunker and point assaulter. Ironically enough, they still have warrior’s sprint in the build.

The Ranger has very limited options to begin with because of how poorly designed the class is. But the role they are trying to play is a power oriented point assaulter and intercepter. It can’t get into the meta because the other classes that play this role are more mobile while at the same time doing similar burst/sustained as the Ranger.

The point behind this entire thread is to give the class the tools it needs to succeed at the role ANet wants it to fill. If ANet wants the Ranger to be a roaming burst class than it needs to be on the same page as other roaming classes.

No one is asking for Thief levels of mobility. The Ranger has 1500 (really 2k) range afterall. But the amount of mobility the class has in addition to the range advantage it has should be enough to at least make it an equally attractive choice to the alternative classes filling the same role. It’s not.

Currently the Ranger has nothing attractive to offer at all. Not all of it requires direct buffs to the class, but most other classes don’t like the alternative.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

All we are saying is that we are pigeon holed into certain weapon sets to achieve similar mobility of other classes.

AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE SAYING. You play a slow build, then YOU ARE SLOW. Want better mobility? Then PLAY A DIFFERENT BUILD. EVERY. SINGLE. OTHER. CLASS. Has to play a certain build to obtain their optimal mobility. Just because YOU refuse to play with weapons/ skills that give you more mobility that is your fault. An engi that wants to play HGH is going to have NO MOBILITY compared to running any other build with at least 1 kit and selecting “Speedy Kits”. Should he come on here and complain that he isn’t as mobile as other classes and say “he is pigeon holed into certain weapon sets to achieve similar mobility of other classes.” NO, he will get laughed at, just like you are. You want mobility, run a different build. Anet can’t give every single (hundreds) of builds in the game the same mobility. You have your options. Use them or suck it up.

As stated before. Ranger is far from the first class that would receive any mobility buffs. Maybe 4th if your lucky. You don’t want criticism or to be laughed at about this matter you should have posted it where it belongs; in the Ranger forum.

“Hi I’m a Engineer Stealth + Pull” gl dodging that or even being able to keep that combo at 1500 range, complain more about ranger’s not need swiftness cause of 1500 range.

LOL?!?!!? Good luck dodging an Engi pull? That is a L2P issue…..that is THE MOST telegraphed CC in this game besides a necro’s tainted shackles. Engi’s may have perma speed when using speedy kits but they have no leap/ port closers like every other class. The have a rifle jump but that takes time to wind up and you loose a second doing it (aka: they are 1 second further away).

First of all: other classes have mobility built into what happens to be some of their strongest weapon sets and traits. Things like Warrior Warhorn and Elemental attunement and Thief shortbow are all very strong by themselves and also happen to include big boosts to mobility. Of course other classes don’t complain about being pidgeonholed into running specific stuff when their ‘specific stuff’ also happens to be extremely strong and give easy access to mobility.

Sol clearly mentioned “stealth + pull”. I guess you don’t realize that a pull from stealth has no tell (the magnet line isn’t visible). I guess you are also forgetting Elixir Gun leap and Rocket shoes leap. Please get your facts straight, you come across as more and more uninformed every post you make.

Ranger//Necro

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Atherakhia.4086

I agree with you ghost, but the point being made is the mobility they do have only to go ‘half way’ isn’t enough. If it were enough, they’d be present in the meta. As to your comment about Ranger’s having a spec in the meta and players choosing not to play it, you’re really stretching it there. Rangers really haven’t been a meta class since spirits fell out of fashion a year ago.

I also disagree with you that the thing holding Rangers out is the cele classes. Once they’re out, the Mesmer and Thief zerkers will hold the Rangers out for the same reasons they do right now in addition to the fact that they counter Rangers pretty well.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

It has ranged. It doesn’t need much mobility to roam…It only has to go half way to the point to be able to kill people, whereas most classes got to go all the way. Other “zerker” roaming classes, is basically just a thief. A thief needs to be on point so it is more mobile and more fragile. Yes there are other teams that roll with different zerker classes but they are not really..in the meta. Every build can’t be in the meta….then it wouldn’t be a meta. There are Ranger builds in the meta, you are choosing not to use one. The ranger build in the meta has plenty of mobility for its roll.

If you want zerker power ranger to be in the meta, then a mobility buff isn’t the issue. What would bring you back into the meta is for cele to disintegrate. This would bring all the other zerker classes (not thief) back into the meta as well.

This is wrong. Mesmer/Thief comps will be stronger vs Power Ranger than Celestial is. There are not “Ranger builds in this meta”. At least, not ones that aren’t outclassed by something else in high tier. Even if we started seeing Power Rangers in the tournament meta, they would get countered by teams like Abjured simply running double focus elementalist. I also don’t know where you got the idea that “Thief needs to be on point”. A thief’s primary role in this meta is to be +1ing fights and specifically focusing down squishier targets like Mesmers, other thieves, and Necros. It’s never going to be standing on a node for very long. The idea that an S/D thief is more fragile than a Power Ranger is funny.

Also, why do you say “There are Ranger builds in this meta” and then a paragraph later say “What would bring you back into this meta is for cele to disintegrate”? Are you even reading what you’re posting?

Ranger//Necro

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

I’m really impressed with how Ghost blatantly ignores whenever he is called out for saying something which is totally false.

Also, I’m not contradicting myself at all. You just ignored the fact that Engineers do have access to two large leaps in your post, saying: " Engi’s may have perma speed when using speedy kits but they have no leap/ port closers like every other class." Clearly though, I do understand that Engineers never need to bother taking this stuff when they already have perma-swiftness for almost no investment.

Ranger//Necro

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

infantrydiv.1620

I guess I am done here. You are a complete moron. Abjured running double ele focus WTF?! People don’t run Mesmer at high tier……………… Sure some teams try….but they aren’t the top tier. GTFO. Go back to your Ranger forum where you belong. There you all can sit by the fire and talk about all the buffs you want. You only continue to prove why Ranger is the most disappointing class to see show up on your team. Not because they need buffs, it’s because 90% of the ones you see have no idea what they should be doing. Just pew pew LB 2. Complete ignorance.

Abjured runs double focus ele vs Radioactive, on STREAM, IN TOURNAMENTS. It is their counter to projectile focused DPS (lich form). TCG runs Mesmer and is TOP TIER. LITERALLY EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS FALSE.

Ranger//Necro

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Narkodx.1472

Narkodx.1472

Infantrydiv – 6
Ghost – 0

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Props to Infantrydiv. Really.

Ghost Yak

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Drakril.4058

Drakril.4058

When I hear the word “Mobility” I think beyond just straight up speed. The ability to move around a map in/out of combat defines mobility to me. Rangers have 2 leaps, 1 disengage, stealth, stabs and immunity to damage. For a class that can burst 50% of your health at 1200+ range in no time it seems a bit ridiculous to give them any further advantage to maintain that 1200 range. (unfortunately if you do not play the meta which is all longbow you will be sacrificing a great deal since the class was built this way… but you have to love the challenge!)

More so, some classes have to sacrifice important utilities to gain the extra speed… how often do you see a Ranger who is running a bird? like never? they always seem to have the Canine with fear/knockdown. If you really wanted swiftness, bring along a bird and you can always guarantee swiftness 50% of the time plus other skills to bring it closer to 100%

I for one am just fine leaving Rangers just where they are (unless you want to nerf longbow then I’m up to revise the entire class).

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Drakril. The sad part is all of what your speaking of are either combat only or things we have to save for combat.

You mentioned the bird. The bird only uses quickening screech when its attacking. If it was our f2 then maybe youd be on to something. Sadly it isn’t. Rangers use the wolves becuase there largely the only USEFUL pets available to us. Birds are primarily used by heavy healing builds because they tend to ACCIDENTALLY die if your not running said build.

The leaps you mentioned are bound to our melee weapons. Meaning one we HAVE to take either a gs or a sword with us. The sword mobility is clumsy at best. Requiring you to run away form your intended destination. Have you ever sword 2d away from a location only to evade right into a mesmer coming around a corner? Well you just burned one of your best chances at surviving that mesmer.

GS3 You might have something. However again GS 3 is one of our only methods of saving ourselves from quick bursts. If a thief starts hitting me from stealth I absolutely have to have greatsword 3 or hel probably kill me. Especially if hes S/D becuase counterattack is HARMFUL to use against a good S/D thief.

In both cases using those abilities for mobility is a far greater risk than there worth. Meaning we give up too much to use them. Its the same issue we have with taking a utility or rune to increase our speed. We lose FARRRRR too much for that trade off to EVER be worth it.

The stealth requires us to be hitting a foe. Which lowers are movement speed. The stealth doesnt last long enough to reposition correctly when your fighting ANYTHING with a gap closer.

Stab and immunity have nothing to do with this since those happen to be the things we HAVE TO TAKE IN ORDER TO SURVIVE. Meaning there the things we NEED that makes taking mobility impossible for us. I assume your talking about signet of the wild and signet of the stone. Since protect me is almost worthless and Rampage as one is a giant (CORRUPT/BOONSTEAL me NOW) sign for every mesmer,thief,necro on the planet.

As far rangers ability to (Burst 50% of your health at 1200+range in no time) I have to call you on that. The ONLY time this is possible is either in a ONE OFF build meaning a build dedicated to a single action. Where you pop every cooldown to make rapid fire stronger leaving you with NOTHING when its over. OR <—- if the person your fighting is glass.

What that means is the only people you can hit that hard with without dedicating every single trait and utility to it are the people that can hit you JUST as hard.

Before you say that 1200 range is an advantage in this game lets thing about some things. Read my next post

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Shadelang.3012

Warrior (Has the ability to resist slowing conditions and a damage immunity/stability source to enable them to use movement skills to close 1200 range in less that 3 seconds)

Thief (Has the ability to close 1200 in less than a second all while stealthed. Making them infinitly better at the roaming,burst role than rangers atm….they also hit just as hard with much more survivability. They also have the ability to move vertically across the map. Making LoSing a ranger extremely easy.)

Mesmer (Has the ability move vertically across the map. Has access to invulns. Has the ability to reflect. Has the ability to create copies of himself. Has the ability to stealth over significant distances (less than the thief usually).

Guardian (There damage meta possesses an ability to cross a 1200 range gap instantly. They also possess some of the best resistance to projectiles in the game. They also have the ability to teleport and leap. There Bunker/support Meta can frankly ignore a longbow ranger unless theres a person attacking them in melee WITH THEM)

Engineer (I shouldn’t have to explain why engineers are so good against longbow rangers. Toolkit pull and Grenade kit ALONE not even counting there blocks,reflects,ccs are enough to counter a longbow ranger.) 1200 range is worthless against an even slightly competent engineer.

Which means the only class that the range is a boon against are necromancers…..Thats it. 1200 range is like hiding behind a paper wall. It only works as long as no one knows your there. Because anyone can tear it apart like tissue paper in an instant.

And all of these are things they bring as part of there normal builds. They are NOT “sacrificing” important utilities to gain it. They either would have brought it anyway. Or what they gave up wasn’t worth much to them in the current meta anyway. None of them really have to work especially hard or give up anything vital to counter that 1200 range “gap”.

Theres a reason most people who complain about longbow rangers are told its a L2P issue.

Lets not forget that a ranger who chose to use a longbow is CHAINED at max range. Because they gave up 3-6 traits to make there ranged attacks even SLIGHTLY dangerous and probably most if not all of there utilities to get them a one in ten chance of surviving against the inevitable when that triple kit engi notices hes up there.

Edit: I didn’t mention elementalists because anyone that thinks rangers have it good there. Has never used a longbow build against a D/D ellie who knows what hes doing.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Wintersnight.3061

When I hear the word “Mobility” I think beyond just straight up speed. The ability to move around a map in/out of combat defines mobility to me. Rangers have 2 leaps, 1 disengage, stealth, stabs and immunity to damage. For a class that can burst 50% of your health at 1200+ range in no time it seems a bit ridiculous to give them any further advantage to maintain that 1200 range. (unfortunately if you do not play the meta which is all longbow you will be sacrificing a great deal since the class was built this way… but you have to love the challenge!)

More so, some classes have to sacrifice important utilities to gain the extra speed… how often do you see a Ranger who is running a bird? like never? they always seem to have the Canine with fear/knockdown. If you really wanted swiftness, bring along a bird and you can always guarantee swiftness 50% of the time plus other skills to bring it closer to 100%

I for one am just fine leaving Rangers just where they are (unless you want to nerf longbow then I’m up to revise the entire class).

The issue to me is that the damage is workable in high levels, it’s just the ancillary things are missing or not viable in a LB build. A LB build is suppose to be a +1 fighter with kiting. Right now, they don’t compete in either area

If you wanted to get High Skill LB Rangers into teams (post cele nerf) then you need to add skill things such as:

SB evade back needs to double in length – far too short
mud trap needs to take away the 3/4 second wind up before the animation.
Stow Weapon trick should work for Rangers like it does for Warriors – we can’t juke CDs
Mud Trap should have be a smoke or dark finisher
LR should be considered a Leap or phase retreat –
Entangle should be a Blast

those are my thoughts for a LB Ranger.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Drakril.4058

Drakril.4058

Warrior (Has the ability to resist slowing conditions and a damage immunity/stability source to enable them to use movement skills to close 1200 range in less that 3 seconds)

Thief (Has the ability to close 1200 in less than a second all while stealthed. Making them infinitly better at the roaming,burst role than rangers atm….they also hit just as hard with much more survivability. They also have the ability to move vertically across the map. Making LoSing a ranger extremely easy.)

Mesmer (Has the ability move vertically across the map. Has access to invulns. Has the ability to reflect. Has the ability to create copies of himself. Has the ability to stealth over significant distances (less than the thief usually).

Guardian (There damage meta possesses an ability to cross a 1200 range gap instantly. They also possess some of the best resistance to projectiles in the game. They also have the ability to teleport and leap. There Bunker/support Meta can frankly ignore a longbow ranger unless theres a person attacking them in melee WITH THEM)

Engineer (I shouldn’t have to explain why engineers are so good against longbow rangers. Toolkit pull and Grenade kit ALONE not even counting there blocks,reflects,ccs are enough to counter a longbow ranger.) 1200 range is worthless against an even slightly competent engineer.

Which means the only class that the range is a boon against are necromancers…..Thats it. 1200 range is like hiding behind a paper wall. It only works as long as no one knows your there. Because anyone can tear it apart like tissue paper in an instant.

And all of these are things they bring as part of there normal builds. They are NOT “sacrificing” important utilities to gain it. They either would have brought it anyway. Or what they gave up wasn’t worth much to them in the current meta anyway. None of them really have to work especially hard or give up anything vital to counter that 1200 range “gap”.

Theres a reason most people who complain about longbow rangers are told its a L2P issue.

Lets not forget that a ranger who chose to use a longbow is CHAINED at max range. Because they gave up 3-6 traits to make there ranged attacks even SLIGHTLY dangerous and probably most if not all of there utilities to get them a one in ten chance of surviving against the inevitable when that triple kit engi notices hes up there.

Edit: I didn’t mention elementalists because anyone that thinks rangers have it good there. Has never used a longbow build against a D/D ellie who knows what hes doing.

I agree many classes can close the 1200 (1500 gap), but once your in a fight… rangers do have a decent set of skills to help their mobility. I think were this thread went wrong is that some users are solely basing mobility on “Speed” IE. swiftness alone. That is not the case as mobility is the art of maneuvering through fights as well.

yes a few skills do require combat which will slow the ranger down, but it also slows the opponent. I have faced many skilled rangers who use their skills perfectly to evade and can disengage a battle to heal or to cap another point, even just roaming home/mid/far (given their dmg starts at 1200 gives them a bonus of not having to travel as far between points)

do they have weaknesses? of course they do… but so do all classes. The point remains that their dps at max range is far to high to allocate any potential change to their mobility. IF ANET decides to revamp the Ranger (again) you may see a change in mobility, until then run spirit and kick kitten .

NOTE : When I used the term burst I did mean all dmg skill/combos would have been used.

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Sol.4310

There are so many clueless posts on here, allot of the top Rangers left have all stated we need a change to our mobility. What many forget most of us old school Rangers have kitten load of games under our belt and we all been at the top at some point.

Now all our builds bar spirit ranger are very slow, if we are to play back point we won’t have a LB (limited range) so shove that 1500 range….. We want to compete better in the meta. Our trap ranger only has in combat speed for 5 seconds if we die takes so long to get back to combat our rotations are extremely slow.

Now LB Rangers are so easy to counter if you need tips as on here many good Rangers. Things people. Forget our burst is so easy to LOS dodge block if you random
Dodge that’s your fault not ours, if you eat a full rapid fire which doesn’t do that high of damage due to protection and smart player will clear the condition fast making us hit around 3k damage tops on our only burst skill.

We just need to be more mobile it’s one of many ranger problems.

Once again if ur losing to lb ranger that’s a you problem and not mine.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

The ranger class is specifically set up and equipped as a sniper. As such, mobility can and should be a weakness.

Ranger already has a movement speed signet. I’ve wished for that on Mesmer many times.

Asking for extreme range AND high mobility is akin to asking ANET to give Mesmer heavy armor.

The supposition that rangers aren’t wanted on top teams is not a legitimate argument for increased power.

Rather it’s an indictment of the behaviour and game play of rangers.

Mesmerising Girl

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Sol.4310

The ranger class is specifically set up and equipped as a sniper. As such, mobility can and should be a weakness.

Ranger already has a movement speed signet.

Asking for extreme range AND high mobility is akin to asking anet to give Mesmer heavy armor.

The supposition that rangers aren’t wanted on top teams is not a legitimate argument for increased power.

Do you even know what you talking about what the hell is this legitimate crap when seems like rather then reading the post you go with something that has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

I hate players like you talking utter garbage. First learn ranger and you might understand.

We have even gone as far as talking about rolls and builds, ranger uses more weapons then just longbow halfwit.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

(edited by Sol.4310)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

@Sol.4310 Your post is abusive and so flagged.

For the record, I have an 80 ranger on this account. I don’t play her because I feel the class is OP. So yes, I have an idea how ranger plays.

I think that I’ll let my statement stand since you haven’t said anything that counters it.

Mesmerising Girl

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Sol.4310

For the record, I have an 80 ranger on this account. I don’t play her because I feel the class is OP. So yes, I have an idea how ranger plays.

I think that I’ll let my statement stand since you haven’t said anything that counters it.

Oh you have feeling my bad…. Lol you have lol 80 ranger so what’s that meant to mean. Honest just rack off you have no idea go pve or something

I’ll counter your comment when you say something with facts you haven’t talked jack about the ranger just stupidness. Also it’s the truth if you can’t handle it get off the forums.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

(edited by Sol.4310)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Ithilwen.1529

I offered a fact, and 3 educated opinions. You haven’t responded to any of them.

At the risk of being a bit of a bore… I stated that ranger already has a speed signet. By implication, there’s no need for a speed / mobility buff since you already have one.

I opined that Ranger is clearly optimized as a hunter / sniper. Such fighters typically ambush and so the genre doesn’t really lend itself to high mobility.

Further I compared adding high mobility to ranger to adding heavy armor to Mesmer. This was to emphasize the first opinion and hint that adding mobility would make rangers excessively powerful.

Last, I offered my assessment that the behaviour of rangers has a great deal to do with the fact that they are unpopular as team members.

hands sol.4310 a mirror

Mesmerising Girl

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Sol.4310

I offered a fact, and 3 educated opinions. You haven’t responded to any of them.

At the risk of being a bit of a bore… I stated that ranger already has a speed signet. By implication, there’s no need for a speed / mobility buff since you already have one.

I opined that Ranger is clearly optimized as a hunter / sniper. Such fighters typically ambush and so the genre doesn’t really lend itself to high mobility.

Further I compared adding high mobility to ranger to adding heavy armor to Mesmer. This was to emphasize the first opinion and hint that adding mobility would make rangers excessively powerful.

Last, I offered my assessment that the behaviour of rangers has a great deal to do with the fact that they are unpopular as team members.

hands sol.4310 a mirror

See you didn’t read anything we asked for swiftness something we barely have at all lol. So shut up already and go away.

If you bothered to read any of my posts on this topic you might understand but you haven’t you just so fixed on being blinded by your own ideas nothing else seems to sink into your brain.

Saizo Sol – Ranger
Twitch – Aussie Streamer

(edited by Sol.4310)

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Wintersnight.3061

LOL – ROM plays a Ranger..but it’s not viable in tournaments…………………….so he plays his shoutbow warrior instead.

Top teams play for money – they do not care about “behavior,” they want to win – period. You, do not understand that.

Secondly, a LB Ranger is not a sniper in this game………..at all. So far, you have offered nothing here except your Sidelines Opinions.

Congrats, the only thing you can accomplish in this game is to get people to respond to your posts. +1

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: Loop.8106

Loop.8106

I would be glad to see a mobility buff to rangers. At the cost of Rapid Fire and/or Binding Roots. /Mesmer tired of dying to someone pressing 2

Optimise [OP]

Ranger Mobility for tPvP

in PvP

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

Emphasis on “an idea”.

Like I’ve said earlier in this thread, this is where the 10+ page threads come from with players getting more and more toxic because Ithilwen is unable to comprehend anything.

Yes, we have a movement speed signet.
Yes, we have mobility skills on our weapons.

But every other class has a way to close our “massive range” in mere seconds.

So yes, I guess we can be seen as a “sniper” class. But only for the 2 seconds it takes for our opponent to close the gap.

We are asking for more out of combat mobility in the form of swiftness.

I don’t understand what you guys don’t get.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]