Ready Up: Team Strategy - 6/27 @ Noon PDT

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Josh Davis.6015

Next

Hey all,

On Episode 16 of Ready Up, I’ll be joined by TCG captain Helseth (the one and only) for a tutorial on proper PvP team strategy (and other such things). This will be a great opportunity for newer PvP teams and players to learn from a Guild Wars 2 PvP veteran, and more importantly – learn how to secure that Llama Mini in ToL2!

Reply below with any questions you might have for Helseth (his hair is off-limits).

Date/time: Friday, June 27 at 12:00PM PDT (19:00 GMT)

(edited by Josh Davis.6015)

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Helseth will play in this ToL?

in PvP

Posted by: Bart Weird.9671

Bart Weird.9671

Will he play a naked norn thief like in soloq?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sudhKI2v_sM
[Grawl Shaman Duo Scale 80]

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

Will he play a naked norn thief like in soloq?

That’s such a good idea.

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Miltek.2104

Miltek.2104

What’s your opinion about summon builds place/role in competetive PvP.
I’m talking here about:
- Turret Engie
- Spirit Ranger
- Minionmancer

Trust me. I’m engineer

in PvP

Posted by: Durden.5032

Durden.5032

The team fights with my team are generally played by our condi necro, bunker guard, h/a-a war and dps staff Ele. We do generally well, but can’t seem to win any against pure dps teams, who burst down our members one by one really quickly.
Long story short, do you have any advice on how to win against this kind of team ?

Anyway, keep it up Helseth, huge fan of you.

in PvP

Posted by: Lowest Animal.8014

Lowest Animal.8014

I have a feeling I know the answer to this but will there be any balance oriented patches before the tournament? If not what do you think about this meta and what do you think needs attention the most(balance wise)?

in PvP

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

Good tactics when it is 4 vs 5? It is common enough that it requires some sort of advanced tactic. In gw1 in TA or RA you rarely got 3 vs 4, but it did happen and it was not always insurmountable. Naturally with the vast amount of times, and length of time this has been happening, there must be some sort of thinking that showcases decisive winning which justifies why this has not, or ever been corrected or addressed. Thanks in advance.

in PvP

Posted by: Oren.1736

Oren.1736

I think one of the biggest things that makes a good spvp team good, is rotations, as in the movement of certain classes from point to point. Would be nice if Helselth gave some examples of some general rotations and how they help push you ahead of your enemy/help you catch up to a winning enemy.

S U P E R Oron – [TCHU]
Charr Guardian – Gandara(EU)
“KEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOMS”

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

Upon approaching skill cap, what professions/builds hard counter each other?

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

in PvP

Posted by: Maylo.5892

Maylo.5892

I thought Helseth is banned from any social activities connected with ANet..

Mr Maylo
Rank #1 Life

in PvP

Posted by: cuge.5398

cuge.5398

If he got invited to the show they probably wanted to set some rules about what he can say and what he cannot say, and i think he had to agree with those in order to partecipate.
Anyway, good to hear that helseth will be there, i hope i’ll make it in time to see how it will go

in PvP

Posted by: Aereniel.7356

Aereniel.7356

If he got invited to the show they probably wanted to set some rules about what he can say and what he cannot say, and i think he had to agree with those in order to partecipate.

Helseth in an official ANet podcast – the #esports is real. Though to be fair, there is a precedent for Helseth playing nice on State of the Game. Some of you might remember this little gem with Java, Vain and uncharacteristically low sodium levels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMqVzXr1-JU

Dat hair tho. Like an esports angel after a three-day bender.

Been here since launch
Legend S1-S3 with 100% solo queue 100% conquest
Filthy casual, 6k sPvP games

in PvP

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

How do you beat a fierce bunker class, with a balanced build (not offensive, neither to defensive). My tests, confirm that if both players, land the same attacks on each other, the bunker always wins. Even with full zeker build, the lack of armor, so much hurts your survival, that the extra damage gained from it, does not fully make you equally dangerous to the bunker, he’ll just outlive it, unless you play a lot smarter then him. And fighting a bunker with a bunker is even more hilarous… This happes in every pvp match, and frustrates me a lot. How to get past the bunker defences. Is ’2 vs 1"ing, really the only way to do that? Cause at the tournement, it sure seemed like that.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

in PvP

Posted by: Locuz.2651

Locuz.2651

The time for endless padding on the back sessions is over.

We/they need to look critically at pvp as a whole. Adding Helseth (one of anets biggest criticasters) to one of the official podcasts might mark the start of the evolution of pvp.

A saying that is used quite often amongst top tier esports players is “to achieve greatness, you must first acknowledge that you suck”. A statement that applies to Anet aswell. I hope that they are able to look at pvp in GW2, admit that they made some big mistakes, and improve their product based on that.

Or … they told him to talk purely about the teamstrategy thing (and put him on a leash pretty much).

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

@Helseth

What makes skyhammer such a competitive map?

(edited by Marcos.3690)

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

@Helseth

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons on racial divisions? Would the increased queue times outweigh the ability to partake in matches/tournaments exclusive to a certain race or races of similar scaling?

in PvP

Posted by: Phaeton.9582

Phaeton.9582

@Helseth

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons on racial divisions? Would the increased queue times outweigh the ability to partake in matches/tournaments exclusive to a certain race or races of similar scaling?

?

Phaatonn, London UK

in PvP

Posted by: Amstel Steel.2058

Amstel Steel.2058

@Helseth

?

Or, how would you like to see the asura issue handled?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Asura-Animations-Visual-Effects-are-Broken/page/3#post4132507

in PvP

Posted by: Marcos.3690

Marcos.3690

@Helseth

?

Or, how would you like to see the asura issue handled?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Asura-Animations-Visual-Effects-are-Broken/page/3#post4132507

Asuras are not even an issue. They should fix 4v5, matchmaking, ladders, skyhammer, class balance, proper rewards, game modes, etc.
before.

in PvP

Posted by: manysongsgw.2931

manysongsgw.2931

Strategy Question: If your opponent gets a 3 cap and your team is just spawning, what is the best way to handle coming back from that? (please consider different maps and comps)

Guild Wars 1 Player of 4+ years
IGN: Valkyrie Friisong
Lvl 80 Warrior

in PvP

Locuz.2651

If you where the pvp lead and had unlimited resources…

“How would you ease new players in to something as crucial as teamstrategy, mapawareness, positioning, etc?”

in PvP

Posted by: kito.1827

kito.1827

@helseth

how was your grandma’s visit? was she happy with your work cleaning up your home?

Karl Otik
no gutz no glory
“Tranquility has a beard.”

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

I’ll be looking at this thread for questions for another hour, so feel free to post any additional questions you might have before then.

Thanks!

in PvP

Posted by: infantrydivEU.9670

infantrydivEU.9670

@Helseth,

Guardian and Thief both play unique, and some would say ‘overpowered’ roles in team queue (Team Support and Mobility). Do you think that this type of role dominance is acceptable from a balancing standpoint given the way the game promotes the idea of every class can play every role?

in PvP

Posted by: GoogleBrandon.5073

GoogleBrandon.5073

Dear Helseth…

Can I become a blacksmith as well?

Guild channel with PvP uploads
Lost? Confused? [TCS] – A guild for every state of body and mind

in PvP

Locuz.2651

What about fabulous shirts … can you share with us where we can buy one of those amazing shirts with huge chains printed on them? :P

(edited by Locuz.2651)

in PvP

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

When thieves will stop pushing mesmer out of meta ?
I just saw helseth tonight on constant downed state vs unkillable thieves.
Situation os crazzy out of control.

in PvP

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Anyone have a summary of the stream?

in PvP

Posted by: Siroso.2769

Siroso.2769

I’m terrible with timezones, so I’ve probably missed the boat, but I would love to know Helseth’s thoughts on TCG vs. the comp that Outplayed ran this week (soldiers hambow, d/d Ele, necro, double engi)…

<— Broskies /Lulzranger

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

I’m terrible with timezones, so I’ve probably missed the boat, but I would love to know Helseth’s thoughts on TCG vs. the comp that Outplayed ran this week (soldiers hambow, d/d Ele, necro, double engi)…

he pretty much answered this on the stream

gerdian

in PvP

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

The fact that there is no perfect meta and that Helseth can say play what you want and make it work is a testament to how good the design is in general.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

would be nice if the questions thread were open for 24+ hours so those of us in different timezones could participate.

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: icandothings.6378

icandothings.6378

If you’re looking for feedback: This was much more interesting than last time, it would have been cool if it had lasted longer rather than the balance discussion one.

The balance RU was too broad to get anything interesting out of the people talking even with the extended time-frame. This one was focused enough, but I do wish it had lasted a tad bit longer.

in PvP

Posted by: Quells.2498

Quells.2498

The cliff notes version is that rather than assigning roles to each player on your team they instead need a build with a goal while keeping in mind that switching roles in reaction to the other team is paramount.

Leader of Contre [VS], just a bunch of zen adults
focus on Dungeons, Fractals and Raiding.

in PvP

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

So basicly ……….NA is still in the stoneage

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha…..

more of this XD

Too bad the only mention of necromancer was that you can counter it easy.
Ranger OP though.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

(edited by Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046)

in PvP

Posted by: Gorni.1764

Gorni.1764

did they mention skyhammer? ^^

Rachat – Elementalist (Abbadon’s Mouth)

in PvP

Posted by: Booms.2594

Booms.2594

can you upload this to youtube so it doesnt take my internet 4 hours to load thank you

gerdian

in PvP

Posted by: Ferik.3127

Ferik.3127

that was quite tense. I think I saw Josh trying hard to not freak near the very end

And why does Lord Helseth keep drill around in his chair, was he nervous?

Casual player of all races, classes and genders
Champion Slayer | sPvP Rank 90
Dragonbrand