Remove downed state from PvP.

in PvP

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

I know that probably has been a post like that previously but dont get me wrong, downed state is very useful in Dungeon and generally PvE and in many occasions in WvW, but is completely annoying and useless in PvP. For example something that happened to everyone, you were dueling someone and you beat him while he`s on downed state you are trying to finish him and someone else takes advantage of your low health and defeats you and you neither got a kill or had the time to escape because you were busy FINISHING THE PREVIOUS PLAYER!!! i mean what??? and thats just one example of why downed state doesnt have place to an intense game feature such as PvP! Anet if you want your game to have at least a chance in Esports little things like that, have to change!

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

in PvP

Posted by: piffdaddy.8014

piffdaddy.8014

Downed state is there to make up for the lack of healers that other mmo games have. If we didn’t have it, we would need a lot more support abilities added to the game. Fights would be over too fast, burst would be king and there would be little point of team support. An ability to toggle down state off in custom arenas would be nice to make use of for dueling, but as I said people would get sick of being 100-0 bursted instantly from a team stealth opener in normal matches. At least now it can be countered with a rez utility or a skill such as shadow refuge to revive.

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

An ability to toggle down state off in custom arenas would be nice

in PvP

Posted by: CMstorm.8679

CMstorm.8679

I really love the downed state mechanic in any aspect of GW2 whether it be Pve, Wvw, Pvp, dungeons/fractals.
I really like it because you have that chance to revive/rez an ally and potentially change the outcome of a match.

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Still threads about this? I’d only like to see rallying limited. Downed state itself is fine and necessary. Also it should be possible to rally if you are in a 1 vs. 1.

But certainly not: 4-5 enemies rallying from 1 guy they tagged which got killed far away.

in PvP

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Down state is stupid in pvp, when some dies they should be dead unless your teammate has a res signet.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

I know that probably has been a post like that previously but dont get me wrong, downed state is very useful in Dungeon and generally PvE and in many occasions in WvW, but is completely annoying and useless in PvP. For example something that happened to everyone, you were dueling someone and you beat him while he`s on downed state you are trying to finish him and someone else takes advantage of your low health and defeats you and you neither got a kill or had the time to escape because you were busy FINISHING THE PREVIOUS PLAYER!!! i mean what??? and thats just one example of why downed state doesnt have place to an intense game feature such as PvP! Anet if you want your game to have at least a chance in Esports little things like that, have to change!

Never gonna happen. Downed state is fine. This is a team game and you don’t defeat an opponent until you stomp them. Until you haven’t done that, there will be a chance that a team mate will come and turn the fight around.

Downed state demands quick and smart thinking in team fights and it’s an integral part of gw2. I suggest you get used to downed state and understand the great plays that can be made with it.

Down state is stupid in pvp, when some dies they should be dead unless your teammate has a res signet.

When you are in down state you aren’t dead yet.

(edited by ahuba.6430)

in PvP

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

An ability to toggle down state off in custom arenas would be nice

in PvP

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

Downed state is a great aspect of PvP. It gives you a chance to turn the fight around. And if anything it has a great aspect for esports. I mean esports is all about entertainment and if someone gets downed and the fight looks finished and all of a sudden they rally and win the fight. I mean I can see the announcers right now going chaotic with excitement when the fight completely turns around. Ya, definitely wrong on this one buddy. Sorry

in PvP

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

down state is fine.

this is a team game, not a 1 vs 1 game.

this is not street fighter.

in PvP

Posted by: Flumek.9043

Flumek.9043

Down state makes gw unique.

Only ranger pet rezz needs a fix or a weaker #2. Cost me another 2v1 (both enemy down) today

PvP guild [YUM] -apply- (EU) http://muffinspvp.shivtr.com/

in PvP

Posted by: gesho.9468

gesho.9468

i like downed state. otherwise team fights would change, become way more hectic (they already are).

+1 ranger pet is too much

in PvP

Posted by: Gracious.4279

Gracious.4279

to remove downed state, they would also have to remove traits and utilities that involve the downed state. so it would be a big project for Anet to do this.

r54 pvp | Ebay | Female Mind Games

in PvP

Posted by: Luthan.5236

Luthan.5236

Ranger pet rez needs to stop on interrupt. Just like with any other skill you use which can get interrupted. Can’t be that you really have to kill the tanky bear or perma CC him because he still can come back to rez. I immediately go press F, then after ranger downed interruped run there to press F again. Only class where I try to finish even if he is still hitting me and usually might be better(against other classes) sometimes to kill with normal attacks(only normal attacks if you have lots of people to zerg him down).

in PvP

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I actually would like downed state to go away… It ruins the ability to show pure skill 2v1ing players (assuming its not just cheese, even with cheese though 2v1s are usually a feat of strength). If people are so concerned with the lack of healers, how about, and this is just a crazy idea, but make the support part of the trinity not useless!

If support mattered, we wouldn’t NEED the downed state and 2v1s could happen. If those things occurred, I’d might even have more fun in PvP because there’s nothing more frustrating than kittening up 2 people 2v1 but dying because your class has a lack of stability/stomping power and you lose and then they start coming at you with their “I’m godly, u suk” type insults. Let just PUNISH THE WEAK! >:D

Also, instead of downed state raises, just make raises resurrect someone from the actual dead but only at 25% hp. And….. Do something with spirit raise. One every 30 seconds is too stronk!

Ps. It would stop self-raising spirit rangers cause when they die, the spirit would too. :P

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in PvP

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Downed-State is the safety net for bad players and gives the bigger numbers and even greater upper hand.

It’s broken and unfair in ways that have been expanded on before extensively and it is by far the worst feature in GW2, of that I am sure.

In fact playing without downed-state is what I look forward to most in coming MMOs.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Exactly what Deejay said. Downed state is an enabler for:

- Being Carried
- Playing super glassy builds and not caring enough about your own life.
- Punishing good players from fighting multiple lesser skilled enemies due to an artificial wall that isn’t fun.
- Promotes team imbalances and other general post-death imbalances.
- Besides, regardless there’s nothing “interesting” or team-playish about picking people up off the floor. The fun is supposed to be in the combat, not rubbing a guy’s leg because they’re bad and Numbers > Skill and coordination.

in PvP

Posted by: GeoPro.7530

GeoPro.7530

I actually would like downed state to go away… It ruins the ability to show pure skill 2v1ing players (assuming its not just cheese, even with cheese though 2v1s are usually a feat of strength). If people are so concerned with the lack of healers, how about, and this is just a crazy idea, but make the support part of the trinity not useless!

If support mattered, we wouldn’t NEED the downed state and 2v1s could happen. If those things occurred, I’d might even have more fun in PvP because there’s nothing more frustrating than kittening up 2 people 2v1 but dying because your class has a lack of stability/stomping power and you lose and then they start coming at you with their “I’m godly, u suk” type insults. Let just PUNISH THE WEAK! >:D

Also, instead of downed state raises, just make raises resurrect someone from the actual dead but only at 25% hp. And….. Do something with spirit raise. One every 30 seconds is too stronk!

Ps. It would stop self-raising spirit rangers cause when they die, the spirit would too. :P

In my experience the biggest thing that makes 1v2’s so difficult is downstate 1 spam. Yesterday on my ele I 1-shotted 2 rangers then died in seconds while they spammed bleeds at me, if that were gone it’d be a much fairer system imo.

in PvP

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

Exactly what Deejay said. Downed state is an enabler for:

- Being Carried
- Playing super glassy builds and not caring enough about your own life.
- Punishing good players from fighting multiple lesser skilled enemies due to an artificial wall that isn’t fun.
- Promotes team imbalances and other general post-death imbalances.
- Besides, regardless there’s nothing “interesting” or team-playish about picking people up off the floor. The fun is supposed to be in the combat, not rubbing a guy’s leg because they’re bad and Numbers > Skill and coordination.

Yep! those were exactly my thoughts when i was making this thread

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

(edited by Immensus.9732)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Hell if downed state across the board was a “feinting” state and could do absolutely NOTHING until they died or were raised that’d be fine. What’s the point of knocking people out if they’re still attacking. x.X

in PvP

Posted by: entropy.9613

entropy.9613

you were dueling someone and you beat him while he`s on downed state you are trying to finish him and someone else takes advantage of your low health and defeats you

Situational awareness

completely annoying and useless in PvP.

Wasn’t useless for that guy, was it.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

because downed is not defeated.

“- Being Carried”
i call it teamwork.

“- Playing super glassy builds and not caring enough about your own life.”
teamwork. blast away with full dps knowing that team members will be there to get you back up.

“- Punishing good players from fighting multiple lesser skilled enemies due to an artificial wall that isn’t fun.”
strength in numbers, this is a team game, not a 1 vs 2 omg i am so powderful i can beat 2 persons on my own game.

“- Promotes team imbalances and other general post-death imbalances.”
what are you talking about?

“- Besides, regardless there’s nothing “interesting” or team-playish about picking people up off the floor.”
interest or not, is a personal preference. and reviving team mates successfully is called good team work.

“The fun is supposed to be in the combat, not rubbing a guy’s leg because they’re bad”
this is a personal preference. i enjoy reviving downed team mates successfully. just because someone is downed does not necessarily mean they are bad. please do not label others as bad because they are downed. the general elitism attitude in guild wars 2 is just terrible.

these so called “good” players think they are very good because they can down 2 players by themselves alone but then cry, complain, whine, rant, rage because they cannot finish off the 2 downed players by themselves alone when a 3rd player shows up to save the 2 downed players.

well listen up, if those so called “good” players are really good, they will finish what they started.

“and Numbers > Skill and coordination.”
of course. strength in numbers. if the party with lesser numbers have better skill and coordination they still can prevail. but if both parties have equal skill and coordination then greater strength will win. this is obvious.

just accept downed state already.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Hell if downed state across the board was a “feinting” state and could do absolutely NOTHING until they died or were raised that’d be fine. What’s the point of knocking people out if they’re still attacking. x.X

because they are not unconscious yet.

when you reduced their health to zero, you just managed to hurt their back (spine) and legs muscles real bad, so they need to lie down on the floor. the internal injury is quite severe and they will bleed out if they do not heal themselves via specially trained healing meditation. somehow everyone knows how to self heal. but self healing meditation requires utmost concentration and is easily interrupted.

fortunately, everyone is also very skilled in the arts of restorative massaging and with just a few seconds of good massage, the downed people will be up on their feet again!

no more back pain!

awesome!

however, frequent spinal injuries within a short time frame will cause them to be knocked out for good.

also, if a player is really that good, they dun mind downing the same player 4 times within the same minute.

in PvP

clint.5681

Ron and Dee are spot on

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Downed-State is the safety net for bad players and gives the bigger numbers and even greater upper hand.

It’s broken and unfair in ways that have been expanded on before extensively and it is by far the worst feature in GW2, of that I am sure.

In fact playing without downed-state is what I look forward to most in coming MMOs.

Hell, I even think PVE would be more fun if it wasn’t built around 1 shotting everyone and expecting people to rez one another… Downed state is pretty much cancer to the game. :/

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

Downed state is there to make up for the lack of healers that other mmo games have. If we didn’t have it, we would need a lot more support abilities added to the game. Fights would be over too fast, burst would be king and there would be little point of team support. An ability to toggle down state off in custom arenas would be nice to make use of for dueling, but as I said people would get sick of being 100-0 bursted instantly from a team stealth opener in normal matches. At least now it can be countered with a rez utility or a skill such as shadow refuge to revive.

This is just patently wrong, and naive. The game is balanced around the existence of DS – OF COURSE if you remove or turn off DS you re-balance the game around its absence, eg: a 10% HP buff across the board.

If nothing else this thread shows that DS has divided the community, and that is never a good thing when you’re talking game design.

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Downstate promote deeper team tactics and grants a barrier against nobrain focus unload.
Only ones who crying about that is duel heroes and bads who wants to press T to win.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in PvP

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

The funny thing is that I find tPvP as the only place were downed state make any sense :P

For PvE it only makes content lesh punishing and the game could be perfectly fine without it. In fact, if ANet would want to release some kind of hard mode at some point, this feature should be probably the first one to go.

I find it extremely annoying for WvW massive battles (it’s more about the rallying mechanism, that should be changed, as proposed several times, to 1 death —> 1 rally). For solo/small roaming, as many players have stated, it penalizes even more the “weakest” side on any uneven fight and, unlike tPvP, it’s hardly your fault if you get caught in this kind of fight nor it gives any serious number advanatage to your “team” at some other place.

For tPvP, however, it adds a good amount of depth to teamfights and overall strategy.
It’s probably a disgusting feature for close/far defenders/assaulters, which are the ones that usually find themselves fighting solo against multiple enemies, but it’s also pretty much unvaluable for supportish roles (like my Virtues Guardian, so I’m totally biased here as you can see :P) which had a good amount of build options chosen mainly for downed control and could be rendered useless without it.
Removing it from hotjoin, where the conquest nature of the game is usually ignored, could make sense, but that would enlarge even more the gap between hotjoin and tournament play and make new players more clueless when jumping to tPvP. Custom arenas should allow to disable it, that’s for sure.

in PvP

Posted by: Wintel.4873

Wintel.4873

Hahaha imagine Elementalists without downed state.

“Wait, did I just accidentally kill an Ele…or was an Ele even there to begin with?”

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

Downed state is great. It separates the great from the good. It also highly encourages team work.

The only thing I hate about downed state is rallying. If you attacked a player and did 1 damage to him and he dies 50 yards away, you get an instant rez. Dem don’t makes no senses.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Downed state is great. It separates the great from the good. It also highly encourages team work.

The only thing I hate about downed state is rallying. If you attacked a player and did 1 damage to him and he dies 50 yards away, you get an instant rez. Dem don’t makes no senses.

Incorrect. You know what separates the Great from the good? Not dying in the first place.

in PvP

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Incorrect. You know what separates the Great from the good? Not dying in the first place.

well, i could say the same.
i.e. “great” players can finish what they started.

downed is not defeated.

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

well, i could say the same.
i.e. “great” players can finish what they started.

downed is not defeated.

Its not “defeated” because of the game mechanic keeps you alive, but in all reality, yes, you lost. Downed state from then on out is a crutch. It isn’t interesting to come back and win a 2v1 just because you have downed state and the odds are stacked against any player no matter how good they are in trying to stomp a person in a 2v1. Downed state may add a few interesting plays, but it kills a lot more and ruins a lot more of the game than not having it at all.

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

downed is not defeated.

Thanks sherlock, thats the whole point.

I dislike downed for various reasons but i will just mention the biggest one for me: it just kills any sort of rush and viewability by having almost every kill come down to the same little boring mini-game. Its just so counterintuitive in pvp where the fights are supposed to be as varying as possible. The whole system just feels like handholding and being given a second chance when screwed up. That is nót going to make pvp games intense or interesting.

in PvP

Posted by: Darnis.4056

Darnis.4056

Downstate is the best thing that ever happened to this game.. I can’t believe how people can’t understand that if there was no downstate Burst DPS builds wouldn’t even be run and this safety meta would become a Special olympics safety meta.

http://strawpoll.me/853596ownstate Poll

Will the Real Pink Puma Please stand up?

(edited by Darnis.4056)

in PvP

Posted by: GankSinatra.2653

GankSinatra.2653

Downstate is the best thing that ever happened to this game.. I can’t believe how people can’t understand that if there was no downstate Burst DPS builds wouldn’t even be run and this safety meta would become a Special olympics safety meta.

Can you believe that balance patches would still appear after downstate would be gone? But ofcourse its easier using ‘special olympics’ arguments and assuming it will suddenly be in tomorrow ruining the game.

At any rate i think a single toggle would help both sides of the argument. And when we get deathmatches i’d really really want the option there as well…but that is going to be a little more difficult.

(edited by GankSinatra.2653)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Can you believe that balance patches would still appear after downstate would be gone? But ofcourse its easier using ‘special olympics’ arguments and assuming it will suddenly be in tomorrow ruining the game.

At any rate i think a single toggle would help both sides of the argument. And when we get deathmatches i’d really really want the option there as well…but that is going to be a little more difficult.

This is my point. Yes, it’d need some balancing across the game. Mobs in PvE could hit for less than 10k per attack, and ttk would have to go up, but even those “side effects” would be good for the game… Hence why Downed state is a cancer to the game. Downed state isn’t the balance of the insane burst. It’s the CAUSE of it all!

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

my thief spends half of the time in downed state ( lol aoe meta), but in many cases i actually get to rally tnks to stealth xD

if downed state was removed i would have to roll bunker war/guard…-_-

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

my thief spends half of the time in downed state ( lol aoe meta), but in many cases i actually get to rally tnks to stealth xD

if downed state was removed i would have to roll bunker war/guard…-_-

No, things would just be changed/balanced accordingly to not having downed state. Why is it such a hard concept to understand, that with the removal, some other things would change a bit too to compensate.

in PvP

Posted by: feliscatus.1430

feliscatus.1430

If there was any chance of them doing this, it would have been in beta.

in PvP

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

No, things would just be changed/balanced accordingly to not having downed state. Why is it such a hard concept to understand, that with the removal, some other things would change a bit too to compensate.

Anet, plz change all game mechanics, rebalance all professions, healing, damage mitigation, HP, burst, defensive cooldowns, traits, PvE encounters, etc.! It’s not that hard and Ron is such a good and adequate guy, his personal gameplay totally deserves what amount of work!

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

If there was any chance of them doing this, it would have been in beta.

Yeah I know. This game has a massive lack of ability to change/renovate/innovate. That’s going to be an issue down the road.

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Basically; Change the whole game and remove one of the most unique/revolutionary concepts because your Class has a weak downstate ? Ron? Because your Class can 100-Kill a player Gank?

Downstate adds and fixes so many problems from MMORPGs from the past If you’ve played WoW, WHO DaoC EQ1 you will understand. No longer are you rewarded from builds that go in and suicide bomb, die while taking out 2-3 guys, no longer are you rewarded for playing 100-0 builds as the most bestest skillest players around.

Feinted state is the dumbest idea; Let me tell you about pushing people off point and keeping them there for an extra 8-9 seconds because they are “feinted state” With no way to get back on point like mesmer/thief/Ele downstate or stop immediate stomps uncovered by stability ; this game would be worse so much worse.

Sure balance would start going in and in 3 years maybe anet would figure out how to balance out the game.

Downstate allows for variety to exist in builds; suicide bombers can still exist; 100-0 global cd builds can still exist, etc etc but they arent the APEX OMG DO THIS builds.

Do a poll, then see who’s in the minority; you know what? here’s a poll , add it to your OP.
http://strawpoll.me/853596

(edited by Darnis.4056)

in PvP

ronpierce.2760

Anet, plz change all game mechanics, rebalance all professions, healing, damage mitigation, HP, burst, defensive cooldowns, traits, PvE encounters, etc.! It’s not that hard and Ron is such a good and adequate guy, his personal gameplay totally deserves what amount of work!

Here’s a good one:
“Anet, please never innovate and stay exactly how you are so the game can die in peace.”
Mine was much shorter and to the point, how about you stop being a smart kitten .

in PvP

Darnis.4056

Vote and put poll in the OP please
http://strawpoll.me/853596

in PvP

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

The downed state is very unique and, as has been said, is necessary to the core mechanics of this game due to lacking healers.

I don’t care if the time comes when NOBODY likes the mechanic. It’s good for the game. Sometimes in game design you just need to go “you know what? stick it out, kids.” Otherwise you turn into… well… World of Welfare Gearcraft.

in PvP

Posted by: Ant.3415

Ant.3415

I raged about downed state at first too, but after several months I realized the value it has on team play. It belongs here.

in PvP

clint.5681

Its an carebear feature

in PvP

Darnis.4056

.. You keep using that word, I don’t think it means what you think it means..

in PvP

Posted by: Ameno.6813

Ameno.6813

If you stop to stomp somebody in the middle of a team fight and get downed it’s your own kitten fault.