Rev obviously over nerfed.

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

You literally get stability on dodge.

I need to point out that to get that stability you must evade something first. Which means you cannot use a dodge to get stability in order to avoid a specific skill. It’s completely unreliable and can never be used to avoid the hit you actually want.

Yeah, Revs would need stun-breaks to deal with that! If we only we had at least two of them! Oh wait…

NSPride <3

in PvP

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

You know the nerf on Retribution Stability wouldn’t of been so bad if they didn’t increase the ICD. This and the reduction of boon duration from Facet of Nature are what makes it bad. Still say other legends like Mallyx and Ventari need a stunbreaker.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

in PvP

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I need to point out that to get that stability you must evade something first. Which means you cannot use a dodge to get stability in order to avoid a specific skill. It’s completely unreliable and can never be used to avoid the hit you actually want.

Yeah, Revs would need stun-breaks to deal with that! If we only we had at least two of them! Oh wait…

Right. So since we got so many stun breaks what’s the use of the trait again? And why are people always saying “Revs got stability on dodge” as if it’s something amazing?

in PvP

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Right. So since we got so many stun breaks what’s the use of the trait again? And why are people always saying “Revs got stability on dodge” as if it’s something amazing?

Because dodges are frequent. Thus, frequent stability.

NSPride <3

in PvP

Posted by: Iain Ross.6903

Iain Ross.6903

I wish I could kill an evenly skilled Rev as a Guardian…

It does

Not when the Revenant knows how to properly use their CDs… I run out of CDs while they do not and eventually they kill me. Kiting them is insanely hard…

It’s an even matchup.

Are you able to explain why you believe it’s an even matchup?

Guardian’s have a difficult/hard time fighting evenly skilled Revenants, because it’s almost impossible for a Guardian to peel a Revenant off of them. Revenants have multiple tools to work around traps, such as staff 3 & 5 and sword 3 and can shut down a Guardian in melee range very well. So, not being able to peel them, leads to being stuck in melee range, which puts the fight in a Revenant’s favor

They’re (just about) equally favoured

in PvP

Posted by: JayAction.9056

JayAction.9056

Because dodges are frequent. Thus, frequent stability.

With how the trait worked initially, yes.

With how it works now, no quite the opposite.

The retribution tree is 100% worse than invocation which provides stun break on legend swap and has not changed with regards to that since launch. Retribution is not a good tree at all actually.

If you take retribution tree now you are gimping yourself. Read the updates, think of any given combat scenario and how stab functions, and you will see how I came to this conclusion.

(edited by JayAction.9056)

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

Shield bash is easier to land than anything rev has if you are using it correctly. I have 2k hours on warr dude. I played it exclusively prior to HOT, and play it much better than I do Rev currently which I got to legend every season with pretty easily. The timing alone from having to break stun from shield bash is more than enough to land another skill with a half second cast time right after it every single time. The only way you would not be able to land another skill is if rev used the stun break that also creates distance. Have you even played Rev at all at a decent skill level? It’s almost laughable you would even try to argue that shield bash should not land.

You have 2k hours? gz, I play warrior on top tier lvl.

“The timing alone from having to break stun from shield bash is more than enough to land another skill with a half second cast time right after it every single time.”

This made absolutely 0 sense sry.

I only play rev every once in a while. Absolutely terrible compared to my warr, but I’d say mid tier.

It’s almost laughable that you are unable to evade shield bash.

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

It does

Not when the Revenant knows how to properly use their CDs… I run out of CDs while they do not and eventually they kill me. Kiting them is insanely hard…

It’s an even matchup.

Guardian’s have a difficult/hard time fighting evenly skilled Revenants, because it’s almost impossible for a Guardian to peel a Revenant off of them. Revenants have multiple tools to work around traps, such as staff 3 & 5 and sword 3 and can shut down a Guardian in melee range very well. So, not being able to peel them, leads to being stuck in melee range, which puts the fight in a Revenant’s favor

I’m not trying to insult you, but I don’t know if you realize you’re saying the same thing over and over without providing an explanation as of why

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

JayAction.9056

It does

It’s an even matchup.

I’m not trying to insult you, but I don’t know if you realize you’re saying the same thing over and over without providing an explanation as of why

That’s not the point of this thread. Send me in game mail though and I will give you detailed instructions on how to win 1v1 vs pretty much every rev in game.

in PvP

mrauls.6519

It does

It’s an even matchup.

That’s not the point of this thread.

I already responded to you at the top of the second page of this thread

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

JayAction.9056

It does

It’s an even matchup.

That’s not the point of this thread.

I already responded to you at the top of the second page of this thread

Read my edited post, I’ll be in game later tonight to respond back.

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

It does

It’s an even matchup.

There’s not really a direct explanation to it, it’s just how it is. In top tier play (esl) between players where the skill difference is miniscule and not a difference it’s apparant. And it’s an equal matchup. It’s same way you know that rev kills condi warrior. So ofc, it can be different and undefined in lower tier, maybe that’s why Jay thinks condi warr kills rev.

(edited by Iain Ross.6903)

in PvP

mrauls.6519

Where you said you can send me detailed instructions on how to beat a Revenant? That’s not what I need or what I’m looking for…

I will be on most likely after 8 pm PST. If you are also on we can meet in a duel sever. If the fights are equal, it will drag on for a good amount of time before I die from running out of CDs

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

I don’t play rev

Then why are you on this forum? Don’t get me wrong you have the right to be here, but… why? You seem to be here to express your opinion instead of listening to others, yet you have emphasized more than once now that you don’t really play Rev, so at this point nobody expects you to have an informed opinion about what it’s like to play as Rev. Anybody can look at GW2 wiki, and I hope you have, but that doesn’t translate to a working knowledge of what it’s like to play Rev in 1v1, 2v2, chasing, being chased, defending a node, etc. Too many situations and variables to intuit from just reading wiki articles.

As for the NA-EU thing, understandable, that’s too bad.

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

I don’t play rev

Then why are you on this forum? Don’t get me wrong you have the right to be here, but… why? You seem to be here to express your opinion instead of listening to others, yet you have emphasized more than once now that you don’t really play Rev, so at this point nobody expects you to have an informed opinion about what it’s like to play as Rev. Anybody can look at GW2 wiki, and I hope you have, but that doesn’t translate to a working knowledge of what it’s like to play Rev in 1v1, 2v2, chasing, being chased, defending a node, etc. Too many situations and variables to intuit from just reading wiki articles.

As for the NA-EU thing, understandable, that’s too bad.

I don’t need to play rev. Also, in a matchup rev vs warr… I’m warr main, so no, I don’t need to play rev according to that logic either. “I don’t play rev” as in I would never compete with it, whereas I do with my warr.

in PvP

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

You don’t have to play Rev… in order to what? You do have to play Rev to actually have a working knowledge of how the class works, its limitations in specific matchups and situations and so on. But in order to click the “Post Reply” button, no, you don’t have to play Rev. If you don’t feel comfortable competing on Rev then isn’t that an indicator you haven’t played it very much?

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

You don’t have to play Rev… in order to what? You do have to play Rev to actually have a working knowledge of how the class works, its limitations in specific matchups and situations and so on. But in order to click the “Post Reply” button, no, you don’t have to play Rev. If you don’t feel comfortable competing on Rev then isn’t that an indicator you haven’t played it very much?

With competing I talk esl. And I don’t need to main it to know how it works. I don’t need to play it at all to know how it works

ROM won’t compete with warr, he still knows how it works. Altho since the druid nerfs, maybe he will go back to it b4 next tourny, donno, will be another patch b4 next tourny so, doesn’t really matter.

(edited by Iain Ross.6903)

in PvP

Posted by: Tomiyou.3790

Tomiyou.3790

Nobody can take you seriously when you comment stuff like this, Rev has some of the worst stability access after Thief.

What?? Ele, necro have 0 stability in their meta build (and non-meta things are straight up dead, so don’t even mention traits that give you stability). 0. Not a single stack anywhere.
And unlike rev, these 2 classes have very little damage avoidance, they just eat it all up.

Rev is fine as it is. I used to think just like you, that revenant is underpowered, but after learning it real good, I started to wreck stuff. And I play invocation → kill before killed, works 95% of the time.
Necros or warriors don’t even hit me. Thief may hit me, but gets revealed and dies. Engineers are pretty easy to handle too. The only real problem is druid, pet takes one of the 3 hits of Precision strike, so my damage is lower ofc, they have Signet of stone, can go invisible + superspeed, good sustain, apply weakness on hit. Ele is a lootbag when they don’t have shocking aura, dragonhunter gets bursted so hard he can’t retaliate.
Mesmer is a problem. A big one. Condis + weakness + daze (no stab since Invo) + lots of heal, clones take Precision strike hits instead of mesmer….

TLDR: Rev is in a good spot. You just have to know when to gtfo or when to stay and slaughter.

(edited by Tomiyou.3790)

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

Nobody can take you seriously when you comment stuff like this, Rev has some of the worst stability access after Thief.

What?? Ele, necro have 0 stability in their meta build (and non-meta things are straight up dead, so don’t even mention traits that give you stability). 0. Not a single stack anywhere.
And unlike rev, these 2 classes have very little damage avoidance, they just eat it all up.

Both necro and ele have stability. You should’ve said mesmer, which has 0 stab

in PvP

Tomiyou.3790

Let’s see smart boy, where Ele or Necro has stability. Tell me where and I’ll tell you why you are wrong. (except Necro elite shout, with a 90s CD, that’s not reliable)

(edited by Tomiyou.3790)

in PvP

Posted by: Shadowstep.6049

Shadowstep.6049

Yeah, so overnerfed that they are still top dps class in pvp lol.

When rev hits rock bottom like thieves and wars in s1 then we can talk about overnerfed.

(edited by Shadowstep.6049)

in PvP

Posted by: ArthurDent.9538

ArthurDent.9538

Let’s see smart boy, where Ele or Necro has stability. Tell me where and I’ll tell you why you are wrong.

Ele has it on earth overload (trait not needed for that one), obsidian flesh while not technically stability, also gives all the same benefits and then some. Necro has it from reaper shroud 3 and chilled to the bone/plague.

14 Dungeon paths soloed
Lupi solos on 9/9 professions
Wost Engi NA

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

Let’s see smart boy, where Ele or Necro has stability. Tell me where and I’ll tell you why you are wrong. (except Necro elite shout, with a 90s CD, that’s not reliable)

Ele – overload.
Necro – shroud.

in PvP

Tomiyou.3790

Ele – overload.
Necro – shroud.

Necro #3 skill in deathshroud has been nerfed significantly and is on a 25s CD, which lasts 8s. That’s not even close of any sort of good survivability while under heavy pressure from a revenant or a thief, since this is your only stability skill and you have very few stun breaks (while rev has tons). You wait it out and then necro is ded.

Ele stability on overload is a joke. You need to drop one of the most important traits to you as an ele. Perma vigor, the only trait that can provide perma regen while on an auramancer build, the best source of condi cleanse, etc. The stability on overload doesn’t come even close to this trait, while you’re bunker-healing, Invigorating torrents is a no brainer. The only real stability provider is overload earth, but that’s not gonna help you you survive focus fire unless you’ve already been in earth for 1-2 seconds.

Tho ele unlike necro has more ways to survive focus fire, but they are on a long CD and when the enemy team knows what CC is, you melt like chocolate.

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

Ele – overload.
Necro – shroud.

Necro #3 skill in deathshroud has been nerfed significantly and is on a 25s CD, which lasts 8s. That’s not even close of any sort of good survivability while under heavy pressure from a revenant or a thief, since this is your only stability skill and you have very few stun breaks (while rev has tons). You wait it out and then necro is ded.

Ele stability on overload is a joke. You need to drop one of the most important traits to you as an ele. Perma vigor, the only trait that can provide perma regen while on an auramancer build, the best source of condi cleanse, etc. The stability on overload doesn’t come even close to this trait, while you’re bunker-healing, Invigorating torrents is a no brainer. The only real stability provider is overload earth, but that’s not gonna help you you survive focus fire unless you’ve already been in earth for 1-2 seconds.

Tho ele unlike necro has more ways to survive focus fire, but they are on a long CD and when the enemy team knows what CC is, you melt like chocolate.

See, it does have stab, and stop trying to excuse your stupidity. You said it had 0 stab and it does have stab, and not a lack of it either.

in PvP

Tomiyou.3790

Ele – overload.
Necro – shroud.

See, it does have stab, and stop trying to excuse your stupidity. You said it had 0 stab and it does have stab, and not a lack of it either.

Ok yea I was wrong with my original post, they do have stability, but it’s not very common and therefore reliable, except maybe once in a teamfight. What does it matter, if ele could have stability, but effectively never picks it?

As for necro, necro has tons of other problems with survivability, which is also thanks to the little amount of stability it has. On the other hand, rev has lots of stab when it traits for it.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

It does

It absolutely does not, at least, not in 1v1’s where both have equal footing. A good Rev will demolish a good DH every time. In conquest we (maybe?) have the advantage if we land our bursts first.

I can list at least 3 good meta rev players who can kill any meta dh build 1v1. Amber league, sure, dh wins.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Ele – overload.
Necro – shroud.

Ok yea I was wrong with my original post, they do have stability, but it’s not very common and therefore reliable, except maybe once in a teamfight. What does it matter, if ele could have stability, but effectively never picks it?

As for necro, necro has tons of other problems with survivability, which is also thanks to the little amount of stability it has. On the other hand, rev has lots of stab when it traits for it.

Eles cast overload earth whenever needed/ off CD in team fights, idk what game you are playing but earth is their go to survivability Attunement.

The only two classes that don’t get a lot of Stability are Thief and Mesmer, everyone pretty much poops it out, Revs a little less now than normal but can do the same amount with timed Dodges.

in PvP

Posted by: Muchacho.2390

Muchacho.2390

Necro #3 skill in deathshroud has been nerfed significantly and is on a 25s CD, which lasts 8s.

It actually only lasts 5 seconds now. The cd wasnt the only thing that was nerfed on the skill.

in PvP

Posted by: Velimere.7685

Velimere.7685

Revs a little less now than normal but can do the same amount with timed Dodges.

Revenants don’t use Retribution anymore just like Mesmers don’t use Chaos anymore.
Otherwise, both of these classes would have some stability to use.

Anyone who says Zerk is the average Joe build is an average Joe.

in PvP

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

- Legendary Dwarf Stance has Inspiring Reinforcement on a 10 second CD. Now LDS isn’t viable. So don’t complain that your Ret’s OP stability got nerfed to require skill. Try suggesting ways to make LDS stance viable without making it OP.

{snip}

I might have missed something, but it’s true that Revs don’t have much stability, but what they do have is actually really powerful. Even with so little access, you’re stability is still far more reliable than Eles and Mesmers, who have bad stability access and require traits, super long CDs, or super long cast time.

What jumps out at me that you might have missed is that IR has a significant lag time between when the skill is activated and when you actually get the first stack of stability. In the meantime, IR has a pretty big tell that tells the enemy a) where you’re planning to go and b) that they want to land CC, preferably CC that pulls you off the road, now.

Generally speaking, IR is only useful in a PvP context for securing stomps. I spent a while trying to make a Jalis/Glint rev work in PvP, and apart from safe stomping, most of the times I used it turned out to be a waste of time and energy.

You mention mesmer and elementalist as professions with a lack of Stability. I’ve played a lot more mesmer PvP than rev, and while I know I could slot Stability if I needed to (and did, pre-HoT), I really don’t feel the need to. Mesmer already has a lot of anti-CC tools: stunbreaks, teleports, blocks, invulnerability, and counter-CCing (which can be done reactively with F3). Sure, there are times when I get stunlocked to death despite all that, but it’s not often enough that I feel that I need more.

To be fair, revenant also has a lot of these tools – however, I think the distinction is that to get a lot of block/evade/invulnerability frames, revenant needs to be an obligate melee character with sword/X and staff. Mesmers, on the other hand, can be quite happy remaining in a standoff position where they’re less likely to get CC’d to begin with. Mesmers also aren’t saddled with heals that require interaction with the enemy to work, so mesmer that’s under pressure is more able to disengage, heal, and re-engage than a revenant is.

With elementalist, the main reason they miss stability is that their current expected role chews up their utility slots with shouts that don’t help against CC, and then they have a mechanic that requires an extended casting time to pull off. Apart from Overloads being interrupted, I don’t really miss Stability on elementalist either: apart from overloads most elementalist skills in the meta build are quick-casting anyway, you can Lightning Flash away, Obsidian Flesh to make yourself immune to attacks entirely, and so on.

Another factor that needs to be considered is that mesmer and elementalist – most professions, in fact – have the opportunity to slot in a bit more CC if they need to, which in an sPvP setting can be done after you have a look at the enemy team composition if you’re quick enough. Contrary to an assertion made above, for instance, it can be worth slotting in Harmonious Conduit if you see an enemy team that’s likely to have a lot of CC but where conditions are likely to be manageable without the Cleansing Water + Invigorating Torrents combination. Sure, you’d like to have auras you give to allies grant regeneration and vigor – but if you’re using Powerful Auras and the three bottom Tempest traits, and you can get your overloads off, the straight-up heals from Elemental Bastion combined with being able to apply extra pressure to the enemy can make up for it. Mesmers are less able to change traits, but may tweak their utilities instead.

Revenants, however, don’t have the opportunity to make these little tweaks to account for the opposition. As things currently stand, their weaknesses are baked into the profession, and there’s not much they can do if they face an enemy team that can effectively exploit them.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in PvP

Iain Ross.6903

It does

It absolutely does not, at least, not in 1v1’s where both have equal footing. A good Rev will demolish a good DH every time. In conquest we (maybe?) have the advantage if we land our bursts first.

I can list at least 3 good meta rev players who can kill any meta dh build 1v1. Amber league, sure, dh wins.

It’s an equal matchup, as simple as that

in PvP

Shadowstep.6049

It does

It’s an equal matchup, as simple as that

Yeah too bad that revs are still best class to pick for teamplay.

in PvP

Posted by: Patrick.2987

Patrick.2987

Guess why ppl, that were trash pre HoT got quite decent with rev now. It was not that easy to play on high level, but still way too much reward for not that good ppl. Now actually ppl have to play better but it is still the most broken profession. I can not see any reason to complain here, especially cause other professions also saw nerfs.

in PvP

JayAction.9056

Guess why ppl, that were trash pre HoT got quite decent with rev now. It was not that easy to play on high level, but still way too much reward for not that good ppl. Now actually ppl have to play better but it is still the most broken profession. I can not see any reason to complain here, especially cause other professions also saw nerfs.

Mmm, no not at all. Prior to HOT i was 1v2ing on warr consistently as shouts. Rev released with HOT and had a much steeper learning curve than warr(still does), and most classes due to the weapon swap/ legend swap mechanic on top of having cool downs and energy to be managed making the class extremely clunky. And TBH when Rev could have hypothetically been called OP in season 1, there were many specs wayy more OP (ele and mes for example) and have been every season. I’ve been legend every season btw as solo Q with relatively few games played.

Rev is weak to both hard and soft cc, on top of condis. Rev has weak heals that are hard to use, and pretty much its only defenses are evades. (The same sort of evade combos that can be made on Rev can be made on warr and other classes like thief to an even greater extent). This class has no strengths at the moment, other than high sustained damage, and it has to be played pretty much perfectly to achieve the results that make it seem as if it’s being done oh so easily. Any mistake on rev generally means instant death right now and in some scenarios with it’s inherit weaknesses there are just some match ups that are pretty close to impossible.

Not to mention besides the standard build most revs were playing, there is nothing else even close to being viable. Like 80% of the class is useless, and has been since release.

EDIT: I can see why this game stopped being competitive years priors to HOT. No shots at anybody but if statements like yours are taken seriously, well…I fold

(edited by JayAction.9056)

in PvP

Shadowstep.6049

Mmm, no not at all. Prior to HOT i was 1v2ing on warr consistently as shouts. Rev released with HOT and had a much steeper learning curve than warr(still does), and most classes due to the weapon swap/ legend swap mechanic on top of having cool downs and energy to be managed making the class extremely clunky. And TBH when Rev could have hypothetically been called OP in season 1, there were many specs wayy more OP (ele and mes for example) and have been every season. I’ve been legend every season btw as solo Q with relatively few games played.

Rev is weak to both hard and soft cc, on top of condis. Rev has weak heals that are hard to use, and pretty much its only defenses are evades. (The same sort of evade combos that can be made on Rev can be made on warr and other classes like thief to an even greater extent). This class has no strengths at the moment, other than high sustained damage, and it has to be played pretty much perfectly to achieve the results that make it seem as if it’s being done oh so easily. Any mistake on rev generally means instant death right now and in some scenarios with it’s inherit weaknesses there are just some match ups that are pretty close to impossible.

Not to mention besides the standard build most revs were playing, there is nothing else even close to being viable. Like 80% of the class is useless, and has been since release.

EDIT: I can see why this game stopped being competitive years priors to HOT. No shots at anybody but if statements like yours are taken seriously, well…I fold

Welcome to thief world where you have crap load of weakness and only solution is dodge. 1 mistake = you are dead. The class still suffering from all the poor decisions from balancing team that competitive teams just ignore thief in matches. Anet has been forced thief into team decap pet role that is unable to fight anything for years now.
Now revs get the taste of it a bit (still nowhere as close though). The class was so overtuned for so long, people simply got spoiled and think being broken is normal. Nobody will pity revs right now because revs deserved heavy nerfs.

Rev is still best class for pvp, it just have higher skill floor than before.

(edited by Shadowstep.6049)

in PvP

Posted by: Patrick.2987

Patrick.2987

Rev is weak to both hard and soft cc, on top of condis. Rev has weak heals that are hard to use, and pretty much its only defenses are evades.

All right first of all ur evade utility removes soft cc as far as i am informed so you are pretty much immune to that. Weak heals ur sure? Aside from heaving two heals instead of one they are far from bad. Your only defenses are evades? Besides having more evades than most of the other professions u have blocks and invuln aswell. Maybe you should play some more classes with less defensive options. For the hard cc you also have ur evade util which is also a stunbreak whereas other professions need a stunbreak and a dodgeroll. The problem with having only one build might be right but almost every profession has this problem, at the beginning u had a second one with mallyx i remember.