in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Here are some nerfs I think engi should get:

double the icd of protection injection and invigorating speed
put self regulating defenses on a 90sec icd
halve the superspeeds regen part from rapid regeneration
eliminate healing turrets and bunker downs perma regen

These imo would help bring scrapper in line with the rest of the lesser classes.

Extremely bad set of changes, besides the superspeed “regeneration” nerf, as this would simply kill the core engineer for anything else than pve.

2. The healing from rapid regeneration scrapper line trait with superspeed is too high and it stacks with real regeneration (which is much weaker).

wat

Playing as a scrapper and fighting against scrappers has led me to one conclusion: their passive health regeneration is way too high. That is not up for discussion. Alchemy offers way too much for survivability, so much so pretty much every build takes it. That should tell you something right there. If the only thing that was touched was protection injection, it would go a long way. It would not nerf engi to the ground, that is fear mongering.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

I’m happy to see that some people see that small changes need to happen

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

mrauls.6519

Self-Regulating Elixirs needs to go. It’s one of those “Passive Procs” that aren’t really connected to skillful play at all. Not to mention it can be punishing since Elixir S means you have 4s where you can’t cap, attack or anything else but running away.

Hammer should remain as it is, untouched. It’s got a few cracks in the supposed armor that can be easily capitalized on if you just learn how to fight Scrappers. Primarily, it’s the Long Activation Times (#2 and #5) and Animation Lockdown (#3, also it only evades during the leaps. Hit them as they hit you and CC them out of it). A carefully placed Headshot from a Thief, Glyph of Equality from a Druid or Diversion from a Mesmer will pull a Scrapper straight out of their stride.

The reason Scrapper feels so powerful right now is because they’re a Bruiser-style Profession. They shine in fights against Glass Cannons the likes of Daredevils and Dragonhunters who rely heavily on bursting down enemies quickly. It’s the same reason Druids are still around, because they’re also Bruisers that mix Damage with Sustain.

Good post! The last paragraph resonated so much with me.

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

These imo would help bring scrapper in line with the rest of the lesser classes.

Extremely bad set of changes, besides the superspeed “regeneration” nerf, as this would simply kill the core engineer for anything else than pve.

2. The healing from rapid regeneration scrapper line trait with superspeed is too high and it stacks with real regeneration (which is much weaker).

wat

Playing as a scrapper and fighting against scrappers has led me to one conclusion: their passive health regeneration is way too high. That is not up for discussion. Alchemy offers way too much for survivability, so much so pretty much every build takes it. That should tell you something right there. If the only thing that was touched was protection injection, it would go a long way. It would not nerf engi to the ground, that is fear mongering.

Um, pretty sure every profession has that one trait line that they take with just about every build? Such as Necros and Soul Reaping. Should we nerf all those trait lines too since they are obviously op by your definition?

I’d say best bet is to start with more frequent balance patches so that smaller tweaks can be made instead of massive nerfs/buffs that make or break builds. After this we could start with a slight nerf to the regen from Rapid Regeneration, and see how that works. Let’s be sensible here.

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: hotcarl.8621

hotcarl.8621

Problem is when people ask to nerf scrapper survivability, interesting enough, they point out for a core trait line, alchemy. So they aren’t really asking for scrapper nerf, but an engineer nerf.

I’d rather anet worked on scrapper only and leave the core traits alone. As of now, engi still have a chance against elite specs, nerf that and will be another core gone into oblivion along with the others.

I completely agree with this. Vanilla engi is still viable at the moment, but just barely. Meanwhile scrapper is arguably one of the strongest elite specs (top 2 or 3 right now). So by nerfing, say, alchemy or firearms or something, Anet would basically force the few non-scrapper engis out.

Wait Are you talking about the alchemy trait that makes you drink an elixr S when at 25% health? That’s really funny I actually pointed that out as being one of the worst traits. Thing always bloody triggers just as I’m about to put my last couple of hits on someone, Or when you’ve just been hit by a bunch of condis and so for 5 seconds you can’t cleanse them.

Have to say I totally agree with you, please have them take that bloody trait and give the engi something decent. That things a fricken death trap.

As Shion noted, the automatic Elixir S (self-regulating defenses) is a double-edged sword. When I first started using this trait, it would always take me by surprise, and I would run away right as it triggered, rather than stay in the fight and try to rez or stomp. It has some serious drawbacks: there is no way to cancel it, it locks you out of all your skills (including condi cleanses) and everyone knows exactly when it will trigger and how long it lasts. Good players will just stay on the engi and burst them down and/or CC them as soon is it ends to prevent them from healing afterward.

And, unlike mist form, elixir S doesn’t give any sort of movement speed buff to help you disengage. So when fighting a scrapper or engi whose elixir S just triggered, don’t let them run away. Instead just stay on them, use that 3 seconds to heal up or give yourself some boons, and be ready to use your most damaging skills right as it ends (or even right before it ends, if using a ranged attack that will take some time to travel to the target).

Personally, I find the amount of players using invuln skills to be annoying, but Elixir S is definitely not the worst of them. Distortion, Renewed Focus, Mist Form and the most OP of all, Obsidian Flesh, are pretty much essential now due to the power creep (burst dmg / condi spam) in the game, and they are all arguably better than Elixir S. Signet of Stone, Endure Pain, and Shield of Courage are also used for the same reasons, although at least these skills have a mechanic where the user is not completely immune to all forms of damage.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

All professions have a form of invulnerability

I’m still trying to figure out where my necro’s invulnerability skill is.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

As Shion noted, the automatic Elixir S (self-regulating defenses) is a double-edged sword. When I first started using this trait, it would always take me by surprise, and I would run away right as it triggered, rather than stay in the fight and try to rez or stomp. It has some serious drawbacks: there is no way to cancel it, it locks you out of all your skills (including condi cleanses) and everyone knows exactly when it will trigger and how long it lasts. Good players will just stay on the engi and burst them down and/or CC them as soon is it ends to prevent them from healing afterward.

And it locks you out of contesting the point. I use it but I’ve seriously considered taking it off my build.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

hotcarl.8621

wat

Um, pretty sure every profession has that one trait line that they take with just about every build? Such as Necros and Soul Reaping. Should we nerf all those trait lines too since they are obviously op by your definition?

I’d say best bet is to start with more frequent balance patches so that smaller tweaks can be made instead of massive nerfs/buffs that make or break builds. After this we could start with a slight nerf to the regen from Rapid Regeneration, and see how that works. Let’s be sensible here.

Overall, I am happy with the way Anet has been handling scrappers. They are not overreacting and nerfing them into oblivion. Instead, they are tweaking a few skills/traits at a time until there is more build diversity and the spec is balanced.

Sneak Gyro is a perfect example; during the league season, everyone and their mother was using this skill, and it would completely change the outcome of team fights. Doubling the cooldown (and disrupting the bunker meta) has brought this skill back in line with other engi elites. Sneak Gyro is still useful, but it now requires more skill and timing to get the most out of it.

As far as alchemy goes, I am a big fan of this traitline, simply because it allows for more build diversity and gives players an incentive to use utilities other than weapon kits. Before the June patch where traitlines were revamped, triple-kit engi was really the only viable build for all game modes.

Now, engis are forced to make tough decisions when choosing their traits, utilities and elite skills: Do I want to bring 2 or 3 kits with me so that I have more skill options, or do I want to bring some elixirs that will help boost my damage or defensive abilities and help me cleanse condis? Which utility can I get rid of so I can use this gyro?

Finally, I just want to mention that the nerf to sigil of energy was also an indirect nerf to scrapper/engi, as engi and ele are probably the two classes that got the most benefit from this sigil due to kit/attunement swapping.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

hotcarl.8621

Death shroud/reaper’s shroud

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Twigifire.8379

Twigifire.8379

To be fair, it’s really just the hammer which is heavily tipping Scrapper’s survivability into the unkillable department. The triple leap finisher with access to water fields easily, on a 12 second cooldown, is 4k healing. It’s pretty much 70% the hammers fault with 30% to do with adaptive armour and rapid regeneration and some of the core traits in inventions and alchemy (although these core engineer traits shouldn’t be touched because it is almost uniformly agreed engineer was in a good spot just before HoT) that the scrapper has so much sustain.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

probably in the form of shroud form even better if you take the trait that gives it 50% slower depletion wich you can combine with spectral walk

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Rezzet.3614

wat

what is this passive health regeneration y ou speak of ? because most heals i seen scrappers use are Active

turret+detonate o medi gyro+ gyro toolbelt+triple leap heal, elixir gun’s stunbreak+ #5 skill, mortar kit number 5 if someone even uses that anymore after the 30% nerf

the only passive heal is the 100-170 hp regen while wearing a kit but that requires replacing the 25% hp invulnerability

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Khenzy.9348

Khenzy.9348

Scrappers have more sustain, durability, utility, damage and CC than the old cele D/D ele meta… with MARAUDER amulet. You know something is seriously wrong when something like this happens. I don’t know how they’ve been avoiding the nerf bat this long.

Power Heralds have comparable sustain on marauder’s as well. Oh well.

Can you provide substansive evidence of this, that an engineer will outperform in all of those categories simultaneously?

Are you being deliberately idiotic or are you kittening kidding me?

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

Scrappers have more sustain, durability, utility, damage and CC than the old cele D/D ele meta… with MARAUDER amulet. You know something is seriously wrong when something like this happens. I don’t know how they’ve been avoiding the nerf bat this long.

Power Heralds have comparable sustain on marauder’s as well. Oh well.

Can you provide substansive evidence of this, that an engineer will outperform in all of those categories simultaneously?

Are you being deliberately idiotic or are you kittening kidding me?

You have made the fallacy of false dichotomy. Please attempt to avoid logical fallacies in your discourse if you wish me to respond in the future, other than to point out your poor grasp on logical reasoning.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

hotcarl.8621

what is this passive health regeneration y ou speak of ? because most heals i seen scrappers use are Active

turret+detonate o medi gyro+ gyro toolbelt+triple leap heal, elixir gun’s stunbreak+ #5 skill, mortar kit number 5 if someone even uses that anymore after the 30% nerf

the only passive heal is the 100-170 hp regen while wearing a kit but that requires replacing the 25% hp invulnerability

They’re referring to Rapid Regeneration, it’s a master trait for Scrapper specialization: regenerate health every second (~100-200 hp/sec) while you have swiftness and a lot of health per second when you have super speed (~500-800 hp/sec).

If used with the inventions line and/or slick shoes, this can provide a lot of healing over time. The healing also stacks with the healing you get from the regeneration boon AND the healing you get from Backpack Regenerator (~120 – 180 hp/sec).

Combine that with their triple leap finisher, healing turret, multiple blast finishers, defensive gyros, the dmg reduction from adaptive armor and the mortar/elixir gun healing fields, and, well you get the idea.

A good way of dealing with a tanky scrapper is by constantly applying poison and other conditions to the scrapper. If you can corrupt or remove their defensive boons, even better. Necros/reapers tend to be very good at this. Most scrappers have multiple ways of removing conditions, but their skills usually only remove 1 or 2 condis at a time. So try to apply a few other conditions along with the poison.

CCs and moa are also good for disrupting a scrapper’s active heals.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Rezzet.3614

They’re referring to Rapid Regeneration, it’s a master trait for Scrapper specialization: regenerate health every second (~100-200 hp/sec) while you have swiftness and a lot of health per second when you have super speed (~500-800 hp/sec).

If used with the inventions line and/or slick shoes, this can provide a lot of healing over time. The healing also stacks with the healing you get from the regeneration boon AND the healing you get from Backpack Regenerator (~120 – 180 hp/sec).

Combine that with their triple leap finisher, healing turret, multiple blast finishers, defensive gyros, the dmg reduction from adaptive armor and the mortar/elixir gun healing fields, and, well you get the idea.

A good way of dealing with a tanky scrapper is by constantly applying poison and other conditions to the scrapper. If you can corrupt or remove their defensive boons, even better. Necros/reapers tend to be very good at this. Most scrappers have multiple ways of removing conditions, but their skills usually only remove 1 or 2 condis at a time. So try to apply a few other conditions along with the poison.

CCs and moa are also good for disrupting a scrapper’s active heals.

and there’s the flaw you cannot have Adaptive armor as well as super speed on gyro death as both are grandmaster traits having rapid regen without that makes it useless
All of the heals mentioned are Active and require utility slots want rapid regen ? give up adaptive armor and bring at least 3 gyros hence why this trait combo is used by cleric Retaliation spam scrapper

in the case of offensive play scrapper you want adaptive armor and all the condi cleanse you can so you sure as heck wont use rapid regen nor backpack regen

and even then the tankiness comes from bulwark gyro+Protection wich is why runes of Leadership are the new flavor of the month
but yes condition damage ,corrupt boon or flat out boon removal and moa hit scrappers hard

to me the problem seems to be everyone wants to run burst burst burst burst direct or condi but they just wanna melt stuff skilllessly

so far in all this time i ve only lost to a total of 4 scrappers and 2 of them ran condi pistols one had bombs

(edited by Rezzet.3614)

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: santenal.1054

santenal.1054

so far in all this time i ve only lost to a total of 4 scrappers and 2 of them ran condi pistols one had bombs

With what class and build were you playing if i might ask?

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

to me the problem seems to be everyone wants to run burst burst burst burst direct or condi but they just wanna melt stuff skilllessly

not every class has the luxury of being able to run different builds like engis….

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

shion.2084

By different builds you mean take Scrapper line (fixed traits), alchemy line (fixed traits), and one other?

Have you looked at the meta builds? they both have EG, slick shoes, Healing Turret, and elixr B, plus hammer.

Anyone can run different builds, but our two previous choices for meta looked pretty darn similar wouldn’t you say?

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Rezzet.3614

not every class has the luxury of being able to run different builds like engis….

and that is the problem Scrapper engineer is Locked to playing Bruiser
pistol engi is locked to playing condi
rifle engi is in a bad spot
and if anything other classes are in a better spot they can run hybrid builds
power builds can incorporate Paladin amulet for extra sustain but they wont because they want that burst so its not a matter of lacking choices but people not wanting the options

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

This was just a 100 camp, with both yaks in though, still: I have no clue how to play engi, I just know how to blast my waterfield (which I didn’t need in that case). I die 1 vs 1 but can run small scale perfectly fine.
So no, Engi doesn’t seem OP to me. Everybody should be fine with a random build and half an Elite, no?!

ETA: Just had a look at the traits and they’re beyond random as this is still my Rifle build. So the first traitline is of absolutely no use to me. I’m basically killing players and wvw NPCs with 1,5 traitlines. Splendid.

Attachments:

(edited by Jana.6831)

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

This was just a 100 camp, with both yaks in though, still: I have no clue how to play engi, I just know how to blast my waterfield (which I didn’t need in that case). I die 1 vs 1 but can run small scale perfectly fine.
So no, Engi doesn’t seem OP to me. Everybody should be fine with a random build and half an Elite, no?!

ETA: Just had a look at the traits and they’re beyond random as this is still my Rifle build. So the first traitline is of absolutely no use to me. I’m basically killing players and wvw NPCs with 1,5 traitlines. Splendid.

It’s WvW……………….

Gate of Madness

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Jana.6831

It’s WvW……………….

So? Do you really think that things are that different between pvp and wvw?
“Wvw is a joke, only pvp is the real thing!”
Yeah, right.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Shaogin.2679

It’s WvW……………….

So? Do you really think that things are that different between pvp and wvw?
“Wvw is a joke, only pvp is the real thing!”
Yeah, right.

The sooner you realize the truth the easier it will be. When speaking of “balance”, WvW is irrelevant.

On a side note, that first traitline is just as useful for a hammer build as it is a rifle build. Just sayin………

Gate of Madness

(edited by Shaogin.2679)

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Jana.6831

The sooner you realize the truth the easier it will be. When speaking of “balance”, WvW is irrelevant.

On a side note, that first traitline is just as useful for a hammer build as it is a rifle build. Just sayin………

I don’t think so – but you can give wvw a shot yourself. We don’t run braindead after a commander, btw – against popular belief.

“the first traitline is just as useful for a hammerbuild as it’s a rifle build” – umm.. what do you want to tell me with that?
None of the traits in it made sense with my hammer, especially since my critchance isn’t that high as I run valk with knight and some random condition trinkets.
Just sayin…. …..

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Rozbuska.5263

Rozbuska.5263

Scrappers seem to have too many survivability tools… They have a trait that triggers at 25% hp giving them invulnerability for around 3-4 seconds, multiple ways to heal, speed, etc… Does anyone else feel the same way?

You just prooved that you know nothing about this trait. You cant do anything while shrinked exept runing around like headless chicken and pray that point what you captured so hardly before dont get decaped by that crap. Only braindead metabattle copypasters using this trait and if you are not able to deal with those ppl well you should consider to not play pvp at all.

Tekkit Mojo – Engineer
Tekkit’s Workshop

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Changing core class mechanics will hurt all other specs and only further push core engineer out of the picture. Scrapper simply needs balance on hammer weapon skills and maybe a little on adaptive armor, hammer has too much to offer in each weapon skill.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Lord Hammer Hand.4815

Lord Hammer Hand.4815

i dont like nerfing but scrapper have insane sustain and dps atm. they took everything from a warrior :*(

Pacific Islander Legion [NoyP]
Black Gate
Ruthless Legend

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

shion.2084

I actually find warriors can burst me down quite well. I’m not very familiar with what the zerker does now, but my health decreases dramatically when I stand toe to toe with one. Are you sure you want us going down faster?

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

shion.2084

Changing core class mechanics will hurt all other specs and only further push core engineer out of the picture. Scrapper simply needs balance on hammer weapon skills and maybe a little on adaptive armor, hammer has too much to offer in each weapon skill.

I think the reason for this being that you have only one weapon, so it must be versatile. I’d be fine with removing some hammer effectiveness if I could switch to rifle. I shouldn’t be forced to take a kit.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

mrauls.6519

Scrappers seem to have too many survivability tools… They have a trait that triggers at 25% hp giving them invulnerability for around 3-4 seconds, multiple ways to heal, speed, etc… Does anyone else feel the same way?

You just prooved that you know nothing about this trait. You cant do anything while shrinked exept runing around like headless chicken and pray that point what you captured so hardly before dont get decaped by that crap. Only braindead metabattle copypasters using this trait and if you are not able to deal with those ppl well you should consider to not play pvp at all.

Hi there. You seem to think I know nothing about the trait, but I ask that you show me where I proved to know nothing about it.

I realize engies cannot do any actions while the skill effect is active, and I don’t think it’s something only people that use metabattle builds would take into PvP. Invulnerability is quite powerful.

Please don’t make assumptions… cheers

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: NICENIKESHOE.7128

NICENIKESHOE.7128

Keep in mind most engineer traits do balance around having one weapon only because each engineer weapon has some sort of weakness. So players will have to trait and take associated kit to reduce that weakness.

Let’s compare hammer with your rifle then, you’ll see the that hammer offers superior damage coefficient, less gimmicky CC AND defenses like reflect/evade/blocks. On top of that you have 3 leapings that synergizes with water field to give enginner accessible healing in capture point. Combine that with elixir gun and passive proc traits then you can hold against any class of equally skilled opponent or even 2 opponents in a marauder amulet.

All these simply encourage you to use high damaging skills without worrying much about taking severe damage, which was against the risk/reward system. Even if you do screw up, you have your passive traits to get back up (which core engineers used to survive). That’s one of the main reason of why you see almost every SD engineer jump onto scrapper, hammer offers too much defense while dealing same, if not better, damage than all yours combined.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Every class has that one trait line sure, but not all of them offer so much survivability. No one is complaining about soul reaping for good reason, its balanced. Way to bring it off topic.

Like I said these changes are not going to make or break builds, thats fear mongery. Even if all that was touched was protection injection and self regulating defenses a noticeable effect would occur.

As far as alchemy goes, I am a big fan of this traitline, simply because it allows for more build diversity

Now, engis are forced to make tough decisions when choosing their traits, utilities and elite skills:

Finally, I just want to mention that the nerf to sigil of energy was also an indirect nerf to scrapper/engi, as engi and ele are probably the two classes that got the most benefit from this sigil due to kit/attunement swapping.

Overpowered traitlines that require you to take them to stay competitive, are by definition not diverse.

No there really arent any tough decisions to make. The meta is pretty clear on that.

Everyone was hit by the sigil of energy nerf.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Engineer historically have always been one of Anet’s favorite classes. Always able to be in the meta but never become that OP nerf now build (except turret which took how long to remove??)

The problem with engi is they’ve always been king of the passive. I would be more acceptable of their ability to survive if they gave up all the passive junk. Incorporate a hammer nerf and now we’re looking at a more balanced engi.

That being said nothing will correctly be changed on Engi due to being Anet’s golden child. Always 2nd strongest never OP enough to get the correct nerfing….the dev in charge of them is very smart/connected.

Scrapper's Survivability

in PvP

Posted by: Yashuoa.9527

Yashuoa.9527

Load him with condi before it procs?
See him helplessly die while in mini form.
I would say other traits in that row are better, like the one that turns condi into boons with elixir gun.

You can cc him when he summons his heal turret, so that he cant do the triple leap finisher inside of it. You prevent lot of healing that way.

The scrapper is about being durable, sustain, defence.
That is kinda their thing.
They should be good at it when they succeed in making their defensive plays.

They wont burst like a dragonhunter, they wont heal like an ele or druid.
They have a bit of several things. More like a jack of all trades than a specialist.

Several other classes have bigger strengths and weaknesses.
Engi are more well rounded and they should be good at that imo.

They could change automatic medical response though.
Not reset cd but lower cd by a few sec only (also much less icd in that case).
Or have it reduce cd of your heal spell by a few sec by default, rather than reset on x% hp with 120sec cd.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/Automatic-medical-response/first#post5971945

(edited by Yashuoa.9527)