Seasons, More Titles & Unique Skins

in PvP

Posted by: Pixels.6532

Pixels.6532

Reminder: IMO. These are my thoughts on seasons, titles and unique rewards. In many cases, I think I’m more directionally accurate than spot on, but the point is to spark discussion and hopefully get some dev involvement and hints about their future plans.

For example, my profession titles are things I made up, I’m happy for people to suggest better ones, but my point is people need more vanity progression that shows their commitment to a particular class beyond the 150 wins it takes to get the Champion X title.

I think that nothing high-lighted the communities’ desire for lifetime achievement type rewards more than the change to the rank titles. Now that Dragon is much more achievable, some longer term titles that show a player’s dedication to spvp would be nice as well as things that show a player’s skill.

1. Seasons
*Incentivize teams to get together and stay together by creating long-term (year) goals for the team via rewards associated both with the season itself and with high-ranked play.

*Length: A season would last a full year but be broken up into 4 quarters (jan – mar, apr – jun, etc.) to allow for tournaments and a few weeks break from the season itself at set points in the year. Major tournaments (ToL style) would occur during the (Q2) summer and (Q4) xmas breaks with smaller tournaments rounding out Q1 and Q2.

*Registration: teams would register with an NPC for the season with a limited roster (around 7 players, no more than 9 to prevent 2 full registered teams from playing at the same time), a team registration would last for the full duration of the season. Again, motivation to create and stick with a team.

*Once registered with a team, a player cannot be a part of any other registered team; however, he/she is free to queue with any players, but season rewards and accomplishments would only count when he/she plays with a full 5 players from his/her registered team. And you couldn’t progress your team’s rating unless playing w/ 5 members from your roster.

*Leaderboard focus on teams, not individuals. New team queue leaderboards would have the team ranked w/ a drop-down option to show the individuals registered with that team and their contribution to that team’s performance (see attachment). The new LB could be associated w/ only the season and the old LB remain though I would suggest adjusting the Solo Queue leaderboard to simply rating players as A, B, C, D or E (attached) and sorting players by wins or total games played.

*New Leaderboards would simplify the selection process for large tournaments and give more incentive to play on a team. Additionally, rare items (precursors, upgrade orbs (more detail later), etc. would have increased drop rates the higher your team climbed up the leaderboard.

*Season Themes: each season would have its own theme and own unique title set for competing in and performing well during that season. This title would be permanent, if the idea of seasons themes isn’t appealing, these could be temporary set titles that last for the duration of the following season and then are re-assigned for the new season’s top finishers.

*One change per season: not sure if this would work, but the idea is to allow for some lenience in the event that a team falls apart so for each season you’re allowed to opt out of a registered team once and join or form a different one.

to be continued

Attachments:

Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

Pixels.6532

Seasons continued

*Each season would come with its own meta-achievement track which could be a full year focused or quarterly focused track. Unique rewards like Tier 1 pvp armor and upgrade components for that armor (Visual upgrades) could be tied into these tracks but more on that later.

*Emphasis on better drops of rare and unique items. Touching on this again, everything you get from the silver rewards to the chances at a precursor or other unique items should scale with your rating on the leaderboards.

*Solo Queue: not sure on this one, not sure if the seasons should focus soley on the registered teams or not. I’m leaning toward yes because I feel like playing on and with a team is an important component to grasping the full potential of 5-man conquest. Disagree? Let me know why.

2. Rewards
*Touched on this above, but its time we see more things like the Balthazar back-piece, but definitely not in the way that the back-piece was implemented or another flame-infested item.

*Focus on rewarding time-spent and individual skill. The reason behind breaking up the armor into 3 tiers is to allow casual players to acquire the basic model and then allow competitive players a path to upgrading that armor to show their dedication to pvp. As a reward for high-level play, you also give the top players in the game the ability to get their armor upgraded to Tier 3 faster than anyone else (tournament and season placement rewards).

*Upgrading armor improves the detail on the armor, allows for more dye channels and the final tier has some sort of subtle visual effect (Think the misting effect on the zodiac armor, but not the stare-into-the-void part).

*Here is how I envision the timing on how much commitment it would take to upgrade the armor:
a. Casual player (low rating) – lifetime to get a full set of Light, Medium or Heavy armor upgraded to tier 2
b. Mid-Level player – lifetime to get a full set of tier 3
c. High-Level player – a year (partial set) to two years (full set) to get to tier 3
d. Top Player – reward for winning a season (1 year for a full T3 set)
—————————————————————————-

That’s all I’ve got for now… time to go mow the grass. Think you can improve on how to implement a season? Please detail it out below! Don’t like the armor rewards concept? Explain why and how the devs could implement a better one.

Thanks for reading.

Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Pixels.6532)

in PvP

Posted by: Egaz.1748

Egaz.1748

Well, i think any changes is a good idea for pvp..
The systems of tracks reward does not convince..
Is a very good idea, however i don’t sure if Anet are interested

Clap CLap Clap

Attachments:

in PvP

Posted by: Eurantien.4632

Eurantien.4632

Absurdly far off title are fun to strive for like Champion Brawler or some of the WvW titles. 150 wins is not very many.

in PvP

Posted by: SaintSnow.6593

SaintSnow.6593

Capes. Better than any measly titles and bs finshers. T3 armor is lame dude, every PvE carebear and their mother has that stuff. Even with some cute effects it wouldnt be much better.

Attachments:

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: Kenadas.9680

Kenadas.9680

When will people realize that anet dont care?

in PvP

Pixels.6532

Capes. Better than any measly titles and bs finshers. T3 armor is lame dude, every PvE carebear and their mother has that stuff. Even with some cute effects it wouldnt be much better.

Ha ha, capes also very cool. As for T3, I’m not talking about the cultural stuff, I’m talking about a unique armor set for spvp only that comes in 3 tiers and takes either being very, very skilled or a very long time to get all the way to T3.

But yeah, capes. And program that pose in there too.

Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

SaintSnow.6593

I guess if it’s pvp only T3 then it might be interesting. Aha I mean if games like Runescape could do capes, anyone can.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

skins titles or similiar rewards you can collect only some before it gets boring

this game is all about skins and after some time you always have the feel “its a waste of time” when play only for skins

this game need PROGRESS

give me a number on my name how often i did a lvl up AFTER rank 80 with some cool auras on my char on lvl 500 or 1000 or 2000 or 5000 and so on

like big golden dragon wings on my char on 5000 with title golden dragon

but skins? pfft

edit : auras like this picture here but in different colours so people see who is coming^^
https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/images/gameupdates/34/large/dcuo_scr_GU34_GreenAura_01.jpg

(edited by Romek.4201)

in PvP

Pixels.6532

Capes w/ Gold trim and silver trim for first and second place teams for each season would be a cool back piece.

Season winners should also have their own plaque in the heart of the mists.

Regarding the after rank 80 stuff, I agree with you, but I think that ship has sailed. I don’t think they’ll do anything like that now… I’d be happy if they just added some texture and shading to the current dragon… it looks a bit rushed.

Another idea that isn’t mine would be to allow for all the ranks you’ve unlocked as a unique emote:

/rank = current rank
/rank 1 = bunny
/rank 2 = deer
/rank 3 = dolyak
etc.

But that doesn’t really have to do with seasons… or the topic.

peace!

Sanctum of Rall

in PvP

SaintSnow.6593

skins titles or similiar rewards you can collect only some before it gets boring

this game is all about skins and after some time you always have the feel “its a waste of time” when play only for skins

this game need PROGRESS

give me a number on my name how often i did a lvl up AFTER rank 80 with some cool auras on my char on lvl 500 or 1000 or 2000 or 5000 and so on

like big golden dragon wings on my char on 5000 with title golden dragon

but skins? pfft

edit : auras like this picture here but in different colours so people see who is coming^^
https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/images/gameupdates/34/large/dcuo_scr_GU34_GreenAura_01.jpg

Like I said dude, capes. They scream progress.

Säïnt

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Capes are indeed awesome! With special gold trim for tournament winners!

I’m all for the OP’s idea of team-based seasons. It’s a team game, so I have no idea why the leaderboards are based on individual rankings! There should ALREADY be a guild-based leaderboard, so high-ranked people can play casually and experiment with different builds without compromising their team’s average ranking.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.