Ready Up this Friday: Stronghold

in PvP

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

I think if they want to attract the max amount of players to Stronghold, they really need two different versions.

5v5 is too small for casual PvP’ers. But anything over 5v5 is too many for competitive PvP’ers.

Custom arenas are ok but it just splits the community too much. Two versions would be better.

A competitive bracket with 5v5. A non-competitive or casual bracket with 8-12v8-12.

The article highlighted that there will be some casual/PvE-friendly role(s) in this gamemode, there is no further reason to minimalize the need for individual skill by increasing the team sizes imo.

So play the competitive 5v5 bracket. I’m telling you casual players like larger teams. 5 is too small.

Casuals like bigger numbers because they want to slack off and still have a chance of competing, because the larger the group size, the less impact on each individual’s skills, so 1 of 8 people being bad is not as bad as 1 of 5 people being bad.

By that logic Soccer and Football wound’t be competitve because they have much more then 5 players on the team? You are using flawed logic.

there is truth to his logic. newbs would rather run with a large “flock” and have strength in numbers to make up for lack of skill. the most skilled players tend to be the small groups.

soccer and football may have more players on the field, but only 1 person at a time has the ball, so it’s easier to follow and watch the ball and players around the ball instead of every single person on the field. in gw2 pvp there is no 1 person with “the ball” everything that is going on matters on any side of the map.

these weird comparisons make it easy to lose sight of what the point was supposed to be lol.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Why the kitten is it just 5vs5???
It should atleast be 8vs8 or 10 vs 10. Gawd, i was hoping for some Fort Aspenwood action again, but GW2 seems to continue to go way to small to get some serious action, planning ang strategy.

Because 8v8 and 10v10 would suck dude. Not to mention it’ll be more of a zerg fest. Best zerg wins. That doesn’t help the “casuals” who “don’t pvp well”.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: manveruppd.7601

manveruppd.7601

Here’s a question Grouch:
As per the blog post, players cannot damage gates, and summoned doorbreaker NPCs can only proceed down 1 lane. I’m concerned that this might segregate the action too much, and make each match more predictable because you know which lane the enemy is coming from. If you have a big team fight at the supply depot in the centre and beat the enemy back to their front gates, you can’t really push your advantage there, because you can only break the OTHER gate! And for the team that just got beaten back to their base, they can’t really sneak out the other way and try a sneaky gank from the rear gate, because their doorbreaker NPCs all spawn on the lane they just got pushed back from!

I just worry that breaking the game down into asymmetrical attack/defence lanes will mean there’s less scope for tactical manoeuvring and map control. The appeal of both MOBAs and of GvG in GW1 was that you can do things such as feint down one lane while making your “real” attack down another, or do a slow fighting retreat down one lane while pulling a sneak attack along a different route, generally give the enemy the runaround. In Stronghold, there’s exactly 1 lane you need to defend, and 1 lane you can attack.

So my question is, do you really think the secondary objectives (heroes etc) will be enough to ensure a team can come back from behind through map movement? If they’re already being pressed, won’t it be easier for the team in the lead to spare a person to go cap heroes and thereby solidify their lead?

Have your designers considered putting NPC spawn camps for both teams on both lanes, so you can advance down whichever one you want? Alternatively, what if the front game of each team was completely open, but much more heavily defended, with very powerful NPCs, so that each time had the option of either making a full-on front push, or to sneak round the side with doorbreaker mobs?

I forgot, little OT but very very important:

Balance Frequency

With HoT we’ll have 9 new specs (A LOT of new stuff) + 1 new prof. Without a fast balance, the entire pvp scene risks to collapse.

Have you plan to speed up (at least 1 month) the balance frequency and not a 6 month old meta anymore?

I think is really crucial.

Just quoting this for truth and honour.

A bad necromancer always blames the corpse.

in PvP

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

I can easily use the same argument and say 5 requires no skill and 2-3 should be the right number so you don’t have people been carried by a large number such kitten . It doesn’t matter if it is a 1v1 or a 10 v 10. The team with less bad players will win.

The definition of zerg is also subjective. Some may say 50 is a zerg some may say 15 is a zerg.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

If game is balanced 5 vs 5 why there is many objectives? Many objectives means that players need to split up and then fight isn’t 5 vs 5 and thing get unbalanced.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in PvP

Solstice.1097

If game is balanced 5 vs 5 why there is many objectives? Many objectives means that players need to split up and then fight isn’t 5 vs 5 and thing get unbalanced.

so that it requires both macro and micro skills to win.

not just fast fingers but also strategy.

in PvP

Posted by: Josh Davis.6015

Previous

Josh Davis.6015

This is live at 12pm PST, not 1pm.

About 25 minutes from now.

in PvP

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

This is live at 12pm PST, not 1pm.

About 25 minutes from now.

Attachments:

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

in PvP

Posted by: Billaboong.6821

Billaboong.6821

Give it its own queue, everyone will want to play it as it comes out, don’t add it to the normal map rotation.
Also, you said that this game mode will have different metas, but it’s really annoying to change your build on the match countdown since you won’t be able to know which map you’re playing BEFORE.

For those complaining that it’s 5vs5 and can’t become some kind of GvG, you can get your own arena and make it 10 vs 10.

(edited by Billaboong.6821)

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

For those complaining about it using the same queue as conquest you can get your 5 votes and have a 50% chance or more to get the map.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: HipposWild.7185

HipposWild.7185

was it confirmed to be in the standard queue?

#1 of all #1 players as ranked by a fair and unbiased committee

in PvP

Posted by: The Hero Warrior Il.7681

The Hero Warrior Il.7681

Totaly agree with the rotaion. Feels like Stronghold is going to become like the new Courtyard.
And I would have loved it to be 8v8 instead off 5v5 but its Anet we are talking about so

in PvP

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I’m going to take a punt and say “meta” (whatever it is) will be zerk for every class.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in PvP

Posted by: Necropolis.6017

Necropolis.6017

after read the anet official news, i felt like the stronghold is anet version of dota

in PvP

Posted by: Billaboong.6821

Billaboong.6821

For those complaining about it using the same queue as conquest you can get your 5 votes and have a 50% chance or more to get the map.

You would need to always be a full team and also you wouldn’t always get the option to play Stronghold,

in PvP

Posted by: XyAltAcc.2096

XyAltAcc.2096

So apparently they will put stronghold in the conquest (and TDM for unranked) queue.
Why have 2/3 gamemodes in same queue? Please reconsider this..

It seems like it will be a horror to not play with a full premade on stronghold, please don’t do this. T.T

Xyros

(edited by XyAltAcc.2096)

in PvP

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

U know, u did like 3.5k+ viewers because u talked about something new and you share with us gameplay and infos, this is the good way to attract people

Gratz for the presentation, it was really cool

BTW Stealth OP!

in PvP

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

Makes me wonder how they plan on handling the guild aspect of this. If I’m remembering correctly, they stated there would be a guild leaderboard for this mode. There HAS to be a way to play this mode outside of the normal conquest queue.

in PvP

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

It’s to keep Conquest from completely dying.

in PvP

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

My questions:
- do the 50% dmg reduction buff stack, so if you have 2 heroes you get 100%?
- can you stealth the lord when he is down, so he will stop attacking?

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

You would need to always be a full team and also you wouldn’t always get the option to play Stronghold,

Strange you just suggested people to get 20 players in an organized custom arena but you can’t get 5 guys to vote in 1 map? Get 5 to vote together looks easier than what you suggested.

#KeepTheSameQueue

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

For the people that dislike conquest or want to build their characters around stronghold, this will make it impossible for them. And Custom Arenas is not really an alternative, due to the lower reward ratio and reward cap.

I want to play stronghold without touching conquest. Everytime I’ll get to queue and end up with a conquest map, it’ll be a nightmare and a complete waste of time to me.

in PvP

HipposWild.7185

Hahahahaha then stronghold was a complete waste of everyone’s time. Thanks for coming out. ohhhhh anet.

in PvP

Posted by: Terrorsquad.2349

Terrorsquad.2349

I agree, not to mention Stronghold will have a different Leaderboard for Guilds, so putting this in queue where randoms and premade vs solo queue’ers are going to be ain’t good idea.

I vote for seperate queue +1

Denied | 5.9k PvP Games | PvP Rank: 236 | 8.6k hours | 9 Legendaries | Still Bad.

in PvP

Posted by: AwUu.9283

AwUu.9283

thx anet for 5vs5!

but we need an other queue for stronghold

Awu – Accidently Famous [oops]
Elementalist | Warrior

in PvP

Posted by: Britannicus.4782

Britannicus.4782

Everything else in the stream sounded great to me. Shared queues just doesn’t make sense. Builds will vary a lot between game modes. No one wants to queue up to play Stronghold only to end up in a Courtyard.

in PvP

Solstice.1097

we’ll want to build differently depending on the game mode.

that’s the main reason it should be separate queues. there are a lot of other reasons as well though.

if it’s the same queue, that’s a bad idea, but it would at least be BETTER if you also added build-saving to swap easily.

in PvP

Posted by: Loki.8793

Loki.8793

I’m going to take a punt and say “meta” (whatever it is) will be zerk for every class.

I’m going to take a punt and say thief will shut down anyone stupid enough to go berserker. I simply cannot see a situation where thief doesn’t dominate this mode.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Overall can’t really say I’m excited. If I wanted to play a moba I’d go play DotA 2 or LoL. Also since it doesn’t have its own que, you need to add build templates. Of course I’ll hold my judgment until I can play it myself, but as of right now, it just seems like something that was just thrown into the que, similar to Courtyard.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

(edited by Harbinger.8637)

in PvP

Posted by: Faramorth.9501

Faramorth.9501

What happens if someone doesn’t have the xpac and stronghold got voted?

in PvP

Posted by: LeftyGamer.8096

LeftyGamer.8096

This is completely stupid, why would you do a pvp update threatening players to get dishonnor if they changed class before a match when you put 2 different gamemodes in the same queue. Players WILL need to change their build and their class to suit the gamemode. There is no logical reason to put these gamemodes together

Panthera
twitch.tv/pantheraplays

in PvP

Posted by: MidnightSun.7964

MidnightSun.7964

I would definitely like to see a separation of both game modes. If not, then I think that we should have build templates to easily load up a different build for Stronghold. Even they said that people were using much different builds there that differed from the current meta. It makes no sense for a Thief to change up his build to just suit Stronghold when it really doesn’t benefit the majority of the other maps.

That being said (I don’t want to be too negative) I am really interested in Stronghold and looking forward to getting a chance to hop in game and see how it all plays out.

<insert something witty>

in PvP

Posted by: LeftyGamer.8096

LeftyGamer.8096

This is completely stupid, why would you do a pvp update threatening players to get dishonnor if they changed class before a match when you put 2 different gamemodes in the same queue. Players WILL need to change their build and their class to suit the gamemode. There is no logical reason to put these gamemodes together

Panthera
twitch.tv/pantheraplays

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

I would definitely like to see a separation of both game modes. If not, then I think that we should have build templates to easily load up a different build for Stronghold.

What about all the players that don’t care about GW2’s pvp because they dislike conquest mode?

in PvP

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Did they mention if they’ll ever get around to adding the ability to save multiple builds and swap between them quickly? This is the main problem with including courtyard in the queue as well.

The other main problem is how horrible overall class balance is in this game. Many classes aren’t viable at all in Conquest, but somewhat viable in Courtyard. The same will be true in Stronghold no doubt, but 10x worse with the addition of another class and specializations.

We need seperate queues and swappable builds.

Alternatively, a balanced product may also work.

(edited by Atherakhia.4086)

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Gamemode killed in one decision. lol

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

xDudisx.5914

Do we really need 3 topics with the same title and talking about the same thing? Can a mod pls delete 2 so we can focus in only 1?

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in PvP

Posted by: Britannicus.4782

Britannicus.4782

It’s to keep Conquest from completely dying.

Maybe they could give a small bonus for players who queue any game type. But people who queue just for one game mode should get what they want.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Not having separate queue is possibly one of the stupidness things Arenanet has or will do. Way to get in your own way Arenanet, way to get in your own way.

I knew Arenanet was going to mess this up somehow but I did not expect it this far from the expansion.

I would definitely like to see a separation of both game modes. If not, then I think that we should have build templates to easily load up a different build for Stronghold.

What about all the players that don’t care about GW2’s pvp because they dislike conquest mode?

What about people who hate the color blue?

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

(edited by silvermember.8941)

in PvP

Posted by: The Hero Warrior Il.7681

The Hero Warrior Il.7681

If stronghold is going to be in the same rotaion as unranked. I think it will become like courtyard, Same thing diffrent mode.
Also it will be a pain in the a** to swap builds all the time if you get conquest or Stronghold.

(edited by The Hero Warrior Il.7681)

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

Is this meant to be a serious argument, or just a joke? A new mode will appeal to an entire new audience, and putting it with conquest will ruin that.

in PvP

Posted by: Serdoc.7261

Serdoc.7261

Agree, PLEASE do not put Stronghold in the same Queue as Conquest.
And while you are at it, make courtyard a separate 2v2 / 3v3 Arena Queue.

I’m not sure, can you, umm…. do that again? ROM – 2015
#allisvain

in PvP

Posted by: Veron.8645

Veron.8645

I absolutely think this needs to be reconsidered.

Josh and Hugh spent like 5 minutes talking about how builds that were totally useless in Conquest were now getting some use in Stronghold (e.g. permastealth thief).

That is exactly the reason why these need to be separate queues. Given that we aren’t supposed to change to other professions after queuing, and that one minute isn’t really much time to change builds before a match starts (build templates please), we’re mostly stuck with the profession and build we queue with. Effective builds between Conquest and Stronghold can be totally different.

We already see this in unranked with Courtyard. A lot of effective Conquest builds suck in Team Deathmatch, and this is why a lot of people are upset about Courtyard.

Veron Oakguard | Wiki: Veron | Reddit: /u/OaksFromAcorns | Vintage Gaming [VG] (JQ) • Attuned [Att]

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Even templates for easy swapping won’t make it better.

It’s an entirely new gamemode, they’re pushing it as an entirely new gamemode (unlike CY). People might want to play the mode exclusively without having to deal with voting RNG.

And what about those guild leaderboards? Hows that gonna work then?

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

HipposWild.7185

Strange you just suggested people to get 20 players in an organized custom arena but you can’t get 5 guys to vote in 1 map? Get 5 to vote together looks easier than what you suggested.

#KeepTheSameQueue

Well that’s a ridiculous argument…. if I really really want to play stronghold me and 4 friends can sit around waiting for it to maybe appear in selection then have a solid 50% chance of paying it. We could do that. Or we could play a game where we can just play what we want the whole hour.

in PvP

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Is this meant to be a serious argument, or just a joke? A new mode will appeal to an entire new audience, and putting it with conquest will ruin that.

The comment you convenient decided to take out was meant to be serious, my response to you wants meant to be a joke. Because it amuses me.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

in PvP

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I like Conquest a lot, and I like the way Stronghold sounds, but having them in the same queue is a bad idea. Teams will group up and queue wanting Stronghold, having practiced Stronghold, and their team compositions and builds will be tailored for Stronghold, and then there is a chance that Stronghold won’t even be on the list of three maps to be chosen for the game they get put into? That’s awful.

I realize you don’t want to divide your PvP community, but you can’t force everything into a single queue or you’re going to ostracize the players who want to play one over the others. Custom arenas aren’t a solution either because it just doesn’t generate the same consistent competition.

Please give Stronghold it’s own queue.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in PvP

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

We definitely need build templates now if they are sticking with having all game modes in one queue.

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

in PvP

DiogoSilva.7089

I understand that Anet doesn’t wants to divide their community, but I’d say that a new game mode will actually expand the playerbase, not only split them. By putting stronghold into conquest queue, any potential new player that currently dislikes conquest will remain unconvinced by pvp, doing more harm than good for the playerbase’s size.

in PvP

Posted by: Wild Throw.9437

Wild Throw.9437

Did they seriously say that the two modes will share a queue? That is probably the dumbest thing I have heard in my life.