Spvp and being a poor sport

in PvP

Posted by: Everflame.1305

Everflame.1305

Now I realize this post might ruffle a few feathers, so just to be clear this is only my opinion. I’m seeing an issue with spvp. It’s not a huge issue, but still kind of annoys me. When a team starts to get behind in points, people start leaving. One player called it rage, I have a few other names for it. Regardless, I think it’s poor sportsmanship and leaves the remaining team-members in a tough spot as few people are inclined to join a losing team. I have seen miraculous comebacks happen, and it makes for a really fun game. Now, it may only be my imagination, but I think this trend has increased with the introduction of the leaderboards. Rankings in the leaderboards are based on win %. If people really care about such things, there’s no way they will stay with a losing team to tough it out.

I suggest a penalty of some sort if you leave a game in progress. Obviously there are legit reasons for leaving a game, such as getting an important phone call or whatever. So I was thinking there should be a time penalty in place, preventing you from immediately jumping into a different match. 5 or 10 minutes or something. I think this may help remedy the issue and provide incentive to do your best everytime.

Now there are occassions when you join a team that is perfoming really poorly and it can be frustrating, but that’s the chance you take if you just join the queue. There are other times when you join a match with only a few people and they turn out to be dueling. In this case you could just stick it out or leave and do something else for a while.

What do you think?

in PvP

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

That time penalty is in place in other MMOs and other games, still doesn’t prevent people from leaving.

In tournaments you are FORCED to stay in the game until the match is over, still doesn’t prevent people from just AFKing

Nothing will stop people from leaving matches, it’ll always happen sadly.

in PvP

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

My client crashed during sPvP the other day and my team fell behind before I could get back in, I felt horrible about it.

Anyway, leaving a running match should be equal to a loss. Or the counter should count wins, losses and forfeits (=leaving/crashing) separately. The win% would go down accordingly and the number of forfeits would be on people’s records.

in PvP

Posted by: google.3709

google.3709

the current sPvP community seem to be too small to afford something like this. this is exactly why r8 are being ranked up against 40+ on tPvP.

once anet Anet adds more incentives/rewards and gets people to PvP more, this could be a solution, they already do it on GW1 where if you leave games then you get “Dishonorable” and you’re unable participate in any form of PvP for a certain period of time. also you have to stay in the same map in order for dishonorable to run out, cause if you switch map, the timer just resets.

in PvP

Posted by: Poplolita.2638

Poplolita.2638

That time penalty is in place in other MMOs and other games, still doesn’t prevent people from leaving.

In tournaments you are FORCED to stay in the game until the match is over, still doesn’t prevent people from just AFKing

Nothing will stop people from leaving matches, it’ll always happen sadly.

I agree with you. No matter what, players will always find a way to leave a losing match. However, there must be a penality one way or another, tpvp shouldn’t encourage people to leave (alt+F4) and therefore not lose any rating when the match is not in their favor.

@op If you are really conserned with pvp players who leave in the middle of a battle, you can always take a look at this thread:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Cheaterboard-Leavers/first#post1815076

(edited by Poplolita.2638)

in PvP

Pixelpumpkin.4608

In any tournament ever, be in sports or chess or whatever, if you walk away from your match you forfeit.

in PvP

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

I suppose it’s too late for something like this, but I wonder how much it would have helped if achievements for tournaments were “tournaments played” rather than “tournaments won”

i.e instead of winning 150 tournaments for champ x title, play 300, or 400, or whatever.

in PvP

Posted by: ahuba.6430

ahuba.6430

Now I realize this post might ruffle a few feathers, so just to be clear this is only my opinion. I’m seeing an issue with spvp. It’s not a huge issue, but still kind of annoys me. When a team starts to get behind in points, people start leaving. One player called it rage, I have a few other names for it. Regardless, I think it’s poor sportsmanship and leaves the remaining team-members in a tough spot as few people are inclined to join a losing team. I have seen miraculous comebacks happen, and it makes for a really fun game. Now, it may only be my imagination, but I think this trend has increased with the introduction of the leaderboards. Rankings in the leaderboards are based on win %. If people really care about such things, there’s no way they will stay with a losing team to tough it out.

I suggest a penalty of some sort if you leave a game in progress. Obviously there are legit reasons for leaving a game, such as getting an important phone call or whatever. So I was thinking there should be a time penalty in place, preventing you from immediately jumping into a different match. 5 or 10 minutes or something. I think this may help remedy the issue and provide incentive to do your best everytime.

Now there are occassions when you join a team that is perfoming really poorly and it can be frustrating, but that’s the chance you take if you just join the queue. There are other times when you join a match with only a few people and they turn out to be dueling. In this case you could just stick it out or leave and do something else for a while.

What do you think?

Erm, it seems like you’re talking about hotjoin and you don’t seem to be fully aware of how the system works.
First, only tournament matches count for leaderboard ranking so it doesnt matter if you loose or win in hotjoin(8v8 maps). Ranks on leaderboards are not based in %win, and even if it was, leaving a TOURNAMENT match still makes you loose rank points. In tournaments people still leave when they start loosing, but thats because some of them still think leaving prevents rating loss.
My advice for you is, stop playing hotjoin and start playing tournaments its twice as fun and half as frustrating, plus you can get better gear. Hotjoins will be deleted anyway.

in PvP

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I wasn’t aware of this difference in hotjoin and tourneys, thanks for clearing it up (and also ANet’s response in the other thread that indicated that Alt-F4 counts as a loss in tourneys.)