State of the Game EP3 - Show Discussion

in PvP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

With a lack of healers in this game downed state is one of the few things that can counter burst, being able to have 2+ people rez a downed target is a great thing in pvp. Removing downed state would only make competitive pvp a joke.

No, because removing downed state would allow Anet to rebalance burst. Burst is only in its present state because of downed state. Downed state permits burst to not be game-breaking; remove downed state, you can remove the burst.

downed state is bad for PVP

in PvP

Posted by: Khalifahaze.6045

Khalifahaze.6045

With a lack of healers in this game downed state is one of the few things that can counter burst, being able to have 2+ people rez a downed target is a great thing in pvp. Removing downed state would only make competitive pvp a joke.

No, because removing downed state would allow Anet to rebalance burst. Burst is only in its present state because of downed state. Downed state permits burst to not be game-breaking; remove downed state, you can remove the burst.

A condi cleave comp can melt people equally as fast. I just don’t think you realize how terrible pvp would be without downed state due to no healers in this game. Anyway that’s not the point of this thread I’m not here to argue.

QT Khalifa [Cute] – Necromancer

in PvP

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

Downed state adds strategy and choices. I like it and the game would suffer more without downed state imo.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!

in PvP

Posted by: Zodian.6597

Zodian.6597

So, we’ll have about an hour for discussion. What are some things you guys would like to see discussed?

Hey Grouch! (Neglekt here)-I was hoping you could bring up some of the points made in this thread about the learning curve for spvp and how gw2 is unable to retain new players.

It would also be super cool if you guys could discuss how vital a solo queue ladder is to driving a competitive gaming scene (i know java advocated for solo queue a bit in the last show); maybe bringing up some points like “no one rely cares about team ladders in games like LoL or sc2 (just solo queue)”, and “how it would benefit streams to be able to validate skill level”.

And you guys rely should address the issues we’re having with the casual player base(unable to play with friends on same team, unable to solo queue, hotjoin always imbalanced teams and just a mess in general). Rely try to make a point that like 3 or 4 friends should be able to just sit down and pvp together while drinking a few beers, not everything has to be competitive.

Other than that, the spvp honestly feels like it’s being built in reverse; trying to appeal to the competitive players by implementing these tournament functions + hotjoin has rendered the game unable to sustain a casual population; thus stifling the potential for any competitive scene to form, i know the request to completely scrap tournaments+hotjoin would likely be insulting and unrealistic, but it’s important that the devs see why these systems have essentially killed the casual playerbase.

• tldr; bold text

Anywase, looking forward to the show- it’s on my calendar! -Neglekt

Neglekt

in PvP

scerevisiae.1972

A condi cleave comp can melt people equally as fast. I just don’t think you realize how terrible pvp would be without downed state due to no healers in this game. Anyway that’s not the point of this thread I’m not here to argue.

Not really, because only 2 of 4 damaging conditions are stackable.

But once again, if downed state were removed, the game designers would be free to rebalance TTK/TTL by either tuning down condition damage scaling, or making condition cleanses more readily available.

FYI, the game does have healers — eery player is a healer; your basic premise is wrong. The game is balanced around the existence of downed state, if you remove it, survivability obviously needs to be tweaked upwards to maintain the same or higher TTL.

in PvP

Khalifahaze.6045

But once again, if downed state were removed, the game designers would be free to rebalance TTK/TTL by either tuning down condition damage scaling, or making condition cleanses more readily available.

FYI, the game does have healers — eery player is a healer; your basic premise is wrong. The game is balanced around the existence of downed state, if you remove it, survivability obviously needs to be tweaked upwards to maintain the same or higher TTL.

Why completely remake the game when there is nothing wrong with downed state? Some abilities of certain classes could be changed, but not downed state as a whole. Sorry if you are unable to grasp how to deal with downed state and the extra elements it adds to pvp.

Every class is certainly not a “healer”. One heal that doesn’t even fill your health unless you are completely stacked into +healing does not make one a healer.

Just doesn’t make sense to me you’re pushing a complete game redesign when that is a very unrealistic thing to ask for. I can’t remember the last time many people were complaining about downed state, it’s definitely a select few.

(edited by Khalifahaze.6045)

in PvP

Posted by: condiments.8043

condiments.8043

I’m very much looking forward to this discussion, so thank you for having it again.

I full confidence players like Lowell and Java have to the knowledge and experience to discuss many of the balance niceties that have been brought up at various times during this discussion. I think it’d important, especially early on before everyone starts digging into the details, that we ask Anet to clarify their stance on the current “state of the game”.

1) I think it would be important to ask Anet how representative or close the current framework, mechanics, and class balance is of their overall design vision. We got an piece of that vision in the last patch notes explaining class interaction and balance, but I think it would be good to hear what their “big picture” views are moving forward in terms of balance shifting towards or away from something(burst/bunker for example). Following questions could pertain to how the community has moved to in terms of general “meta” balance. Did they expect many of the prominent specs to be as powerful as they originally intended? Has anything blindsided them specifically? Here they can speak easily speak in sweeping terms about they want to shift things without getting bogged down by individual details in discussion. Obviously it would be important to emphasize that balance changes take time to happen, but I think the community would appreciate knowing what to expect in the future.

2) While many cite individual class imbalances as the “downfall” of GW2’s PvP, but quite frankly I think its hogwash. There are certain design and balance aspects which I feel are out of line but nothing is so overtly broken(Block bug and Svanir runes WERE broken though). The problem with GW2 sPvP has always been systemic. I’m not going to even get into tournament system which has been a hot topic of debate for months, but the problems with hot-join needs to be brought up. Despite is supposed intention for laid back fun(this is my assumption as to the way it was designed), I think the mode is so unrepresentative of the game itself its not a good mode for casual players. Despite the nature of being able to ‘win’ games by gaining point through node capture, much of these matches end up being simply death matches and glory point hoarding. The scoring system, which is why people play the mode, so disproportionately awards bad play that learning anything remotely about being a better team player is nearly impossible. Its embarrassing when I can play matches with uncognizant bloodlust slaying everything in path and accrue ridiculous point totals while contributing nothing to my team. I think the easy fix instead of pouring time into making a representative glory scoreboard system would be to make glory be awarded in much greater amounts to the winning team, thus actively enforcing team play. Also, abolishing 8v8 altogether would do wonders as well. Obviously such focus on something so trite as glory accrual seems unwarranted, but human behavior is often molded by what is rewarded systemically. Changing the rules will allow for a healthier more hospitable irrespective of any class balance considerations. So obviously the question would be how they feel on hot-joins and any changes that could be made.

The game most people complain about(the hotjoiners), is vastly different than the one that is being played between on a successful tournament level. Pushing player behavior to emulate them would be a good thing.

I’ll add more later if I feel I need to add anything else.

Cretius-Elementalist
Condiments-Thief

(edited by condiments.8043)

in PvP

Posted by: Sky.9347

Sky.9347

I would like to know if there is ANY possibility for vertical progression to be added to sPvP in the future.

Sky – [tSA] – Stormbluff Isle
November 15, 2012 – The day a dream died.

in PvP

Posted by: condiments.8043

condiments.8043

I would like to know if there is ANY possibility for vertical progression to be added to sPvP in the future.

If they still hold to their e-sport aspirations any vertical progression will not be part of their plans.

Cretius-Elementalist
Condiments-Thief

in PvP

Sky.9347

If they still hold to their e-sport aspirations any vertical progression will not be part of their plans.

They fooled me once.

I would just like to hear them answer the question, you know?

in PvP

Posted by: madatom.5218

madatom.5218

a reminder that the guild wars 2 developers dont know how to play their own game

http://i46.tinypic.com/jj313b.png

in PvP

scerevisiae.1972

Why completely remake the game when there is nothing wrong with downed state? Some abilities of certain classes could be changed, but not downed state as a whole. Sorry if you are unable to grasp how to deal with downed state and the extra elements it adds to pvp.

Every class is certainly not a “healer”. One heal that doesn’t even fill your health unless you are completely stacked into +healing does not make one a healer.

Just doesn’t make sense to me you’re pushing a complete game redesign when that is a very unrealistic thing to ask for. I can’t remember the last time many people were complaining about downed state, it’s definitely a select few.

It’s not a complete game redesign, it’s all existing functionality (health reaches zero, you go direct to defeated state), and then editing some XML/JSON/property files (skill co-efficients) or even just simply scaling HP across the board by 10-15%.

As whether it’s justified or not, I think any objective analysis of GW2 PVP clearly shows that it’s doing badly. Really badly when you consider this was supposed to be the focal area of the game.

In beta, there were tons of people that did not like how central downed state was to GW2 PVP, and now, nearly 6 months on, the PVP population is a fraction of what it was at release, and it is still common to see people posting about they feel it ruins the combat or the various imbalances it creates. You may say the proportion of DS haters is small but the scary truth may be, those people simply stopped playing the game or like myself, have deliberately stayed clear of stPVP because of how much it ruins the flow of combat. I say this too as an Ele main, the class with the strongest DS and ready access to invuln & stability stomps. It’s not a L2P issue, it’s a “this is a stupid design for a PVP game” issue.

It seems a reasonable question to put to the devs to ask whether they feel downed state has been an net improvement or detraction to the game under the circumstances. As to actually removing it and rebalancing around not having it is totally doable and not a major effort.

in PvP

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

The reason Downstate hate threads have ceased to be is because the community accepted that it is here to stay, and resolved to simply put it out of their minds.

That doesn’t mean it works, and it certainly doesn’t mean it was a good idea to begin with.

When BWE’s were going on, I was in the camp of, “Jesus what is this feature?” And over time it has gotten to the point of contempt acceptance. But the questions for Anet remain unanswered.
Why?
Why this feature?
With the level of difficulty creating a successful MMO, much less a successful esport game, why did you make it harder on yourselves by creating such a feature, something that no one in any game has ever asked for?

People often say it adds a new level of strategy, when all it really does is add an arbitrary, nail biting aspect to what should have been a kill. How many mesmers, elementalists, thieves, necros, have you downed, only to have your kill nullified by the silly delay mechanics that come with the downstate, so enemy backup can arrive to save them? Both parties know who really won the fight.

Its ok to say, “We messed up.” The playerbase would probably applaud you for your honesty.

in PvP

Posted by: Frozire.4972

Frozire.4972

Keep the feedback/questions coming!

Just dropping by to let you know that everything written here will be read and taken into consideration when we create the questions for the show. People will also be able to show up on the stream day and ask questions in chat – but it is a lot more likely for the questions to get asked if posted here prior.

Lead PvP Content Developer @ GuildWars2Guru.com

in PvP

Sky.9347

It should definitely be discussed how important the implementation of a proper solo queue is.

In the first episode of State of the game, Jonathan Sharp said that their matchmaking system will still match pre mades with pugs. The reasoning behind this decision is that in GW1 sometimes teams in Random Arena were composed of better players than those in Team Arena. However he forgets to mention how in GW1 an RA team would be matched against a TA team after 10 consecutive wins. And how do you think that usually went? The RA team would get beaten by the more organized TA team most of the time.

Imagine how unfair it would feel to play against players of similar skill level but lose because of their superior communication and synchronized builds advantage due to them being a pre made team. A well organized pre made team will always have an unfair advantage against a group of very good individual players. No matter how extraordinary their matchmaking system is, it will never be fair to match pugs with pre mades.

If this thing goes through it will make solo queue feel extremely unfair and frustrating, even more so than it is now.

I think the problem here is…

There just aren’t enough players (right now) to spread around.

Having random vs. random as it’s own bracket would stress an already shrunken population.

EDIT: Although I agree that random vs. random would be ideal, I just don’t think it’s practical right now. It’s a question they probably don’t want to answer because the answer is not flattering.

in PvP

Posted by: daydream.2938

daydream.2938

I hate downstate. but its here to stay, and tbh it does add another element to the game. Its not unlike someone coming by and getting a res off on a target you killed.

in PvP

Posted by: Vinhoney.4517

Vinhoney.4517

hiyooo…. not sure if this is serious, but how about making key-binding character-specific instead of account? I don’t want to change key-binding every time I switch to a different profession.

If you have no doubts of your skills, then challenge me for a duel please.

in PvP

Sky.9347

Having random vs. random as it’s own bracket would stress an already shrunken population.

I know some people don’t like it when other games are given as an example, but I think it’s fair to look at games which have found that a certain model works. If you are familiar with the process of LoL becoming popular the turning point was the implementation of solo queue and matchmaking. It was after the proper implementation of those things that LoL started to grow fast. Of course Riot invested a lot of money into the tournaments later on, but the initial surge of players came before that. Even today solo/duo queue is the most popular mode, despite there being several other modes, too. Everyone who is streaming LoL is streaming solo queue.

I actually think that solo queue is going to help this game a lot rather than making it worse. Players who only want to practice as teams will get some actual practice against other teams instead of just rolling pugs and barely learning anything from it then going to paids get rolled there and come back to beating pugs in frees. It’s a vicious cycle, which isn’t fun for anyone.

It’s extremely frustrating for pugs to be playing against a team that has voice communication and synchronized builds. It puts off a lot of people from ever trying out tournaments again. And they are left with the horrendous hotjoins which will eventually bore you to death and force you to stop playing altogether. People who wish to play solo or with a friend are the majority. There are people who just don’t want the hassle of being part of a team and organize to play together at certain times. People who just want to play without feeling committed to a team. The casuals must be taken care of or this game will keep going downhill.

I understand that separating pre mades and pugs will initially make the waiting time for team queues longer, but quite frankly it needs to be done in order to give this game a chance to grow. Otherwise people will keep leaving until free tournaments become as dead as paid.

These are very good points, and you very well might be correct.

I think it’s worth a healthy internal developer debate.

A little pain now for possibly huge gain later? Is that a risk worth taking?

I don’t have the answer. Thanks for the awesome counter-point though.

in PvP

Posted by: Davinci.8027

Davinci.8027

Removing downed state at this point in the game would just not be possible. I like it. It adds a whole new dynamic to the game and allows good players to recuperate after a bad hit.
Burst is fine where it is, because the only specs that can apply the huge amount of burst that everyone is complaining are also extremely squishy and can be counter bursted just as easily. This allows for a high skillcap, because bad positioning and map awareness from glass cannon specs means dying.
I honestly believe balance is good where it’s at. The only reason certain specs and builds are considered successful is because GOOD PLAYERS USE THEM. We saw it with PZ. They ran a comp that no one would have thought was viable, and did well with it. We can see it again, but players have to be willing to explore different specs/setups instead of complaining about nerfing/balance. 2 months ago, rangers were considered unviable, and now they’re in almost every team. Mesmers were thought to be the king of 1v1s and a must-have on a team, and now I see less and less teams running a mesmer because they have become one of the WORST 1v1 classes. This is because people are learning how to play their respective classes and finding specs that work better for them.
The meta changes because good players change it, not specs or classes.

And no, don’t remove launches being unbreakable by stun-lock mid launch. It’s a player skill issue. Wait to be on the ground, then pop your stunbreaker. There would be no need for a launch or knockdown if stunbreakers could cleanse them at any time mid-launch/knockback.

in PvP

daydream.2938

I know some people don’t like it when other games are given as an example, but I think it’s fair to look at games which have found that a certain model works. If you are familiar with the process of LoL becoming popular the turning point was the implementation of solo queue and matchmaking. It was after the proper implementation of those things that LoL started to grow fast. Of course Riot invested a lot of money into the tournaments later on, but the initial surge of players came before that. Even today solo/duo queue is the most popular mode, despite there being several other modes, too. Everyone who is streaming LoL is streaming solo queue.

I actually think that solo queue is going to help this game a lot rather than making it worse. Players who only want to practice as teams will get some actual practice against other teams instead of just rolling pugs and barely learning anything from it then going to paids get rolled there and come back to beating pugs in frees. It’s a vicious cycle, which isn’t fun for anyone.

It’s extremely frustrating for pugs to be playing against a team that has voice communication and synchronized builds. It puts off a lot of people from ever trying out tournaments again. And they are left with the horrendous hotjoins which will eventually bore you to death and force you to stop playing altogether. People who wish to play solo or with a friend are the majority. There are people who just don’t want the hassle of being part of a team and organize to play together at certain times. People who just want to play without feeling committed to a team. The casuals must be taken care of or this game will keep going downhill.

I understand that separating pre mades and pugs will initially make the waiting time for team queues longer, but quite frankly it needs to be done in order to give this game a chance to grow. Otherwise people will keep leaving until free tournaments become as dead as paid.

This, at least is an argument, with some fair points. However.

What about teams of 2-4 ppl. My guild often Ques with 3 or 4 of us. Thats a partial premade, where do we end up.

in PvP

daydream.2938

Removing downed state at this point in the game would just not be possible. I like it. It adds a whole new dynamic to the game and allows good players to recuperate after a bad hit.
Burst is fine where it is, because the only specs that can apply the huge amount of burst that everyone is complaining are also extremely squishy and can be counter bursted just as easily. This allows for a high skillcap, because bad positioning and map awareness from glass cannon specs means dying.
I honestly believe balance is good where it’s at. The only reason certain specs and builds are considered successful is because GOOD PLAYERS USE THEM. We saw it with PZ. They ran a comp that no one would have thought was viable, and did well with it. We can see it again, but players have to be willing to explore different specs/setups instead of complaining about nerfing/balance. 2 months ago, rangers were considered unviable, and now they’re in almost every team. Mesmers were thought to be the king of 1v1s and a must-have on a team, and now I see less and less teams running a mesmer because they have become one of the WORST 1v1 classes. This is because people are learning how to play their respective classes and finding specs that work better for them.
The meta changes because good players change it, not specs or classes.

And no, don’t remove launches being unbreakable by stun-lock mid launch. It’s a player skill issue. Wait to be on the ground, then pop your stunbreaker. There would be no need for a launch or knockdown if stunbreakers could cleanse them at any time mid-launch/knockback.

Mesmers just recently had a nerf. Balance/bug fixes change the meta also.
Furthermore, while player skill is a huge variable, it would be nuts to claim all specs/builds are equally viable.
Skill washs out more and more as a variable in high end play (because everyone is really good) and therefore what your seeing expressed more is how the classes/specs actually perform.
Part of the reason rangers are seeing play is as back bunkres, repalcing mesmers in that roll since the nerf and mesmers no longer being sooo strong in 1on1.

(edited by daydream.2938)

in PvP

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

Do you have any plans to balance the extremes of bunker/burst by implementing meaningful diminishing returns instead of focusing on changing skills (which affects all builds, not just the imbalanced ones).

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

in PvP

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

Downed state is awesome.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the lack of viability of some classes (namely warrior and engineer) and the lack of overall build variety across all classes?

The game is pretty stale right now as a result. Do you have any ideas on how to reinvigorate the game? Here’s my simple suggestion: create different game modes because each game mode would require different builds/classes.

A mode like death match. for example, would have no use for bunkers (and in turn glass cannons). Instead, it would likely promote more balanced builds (possibly eliminating the problem of extreme builds).

(edited by Chi Malady.2015)

in PvP

Khalifahaze.6045

I would like to know if they have any plans to change necro life siphon to be more viable.

Also a huge problem with necro can be massing life force in certain builds and the fact that we start games with 0% LF. Is there any plans to take a look into maybe some skills that give more than 10% LF on use etc.

in PvP

Posted by: zone.1073

zone.1073

hiyooo…. not sure if this is serious, but how about making key-binding character-specific instead of account? I don’t want to change key-binding every time I switch to a different profession.

^ This. A MILLION TIMES THIS.

in PvP

Posted by: Nord.5360

Nord.5360

Thanks guys. This feedback is awesome.

Another heads up, but we’ll probably be starting a series focusing on one profession for each episode. A roundtable discussion of sorts. We’ll have more information about that soon!

Grouch

in PvP

Posted by: Sprawl.3891

Sprawl.3891

What about teams of 2-4 ppl. My guild often Ques with 3 or 4 of us. Thats a partial premade, where do we end up.

vs other 3-5 man premades

Sprawl – Necro – Eredon Terrace

in PvP

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

vs other 3-5 man premades

Seems like 1, 2 or 3 ques should be joined together, if 3 people join they get partied up with 2 friends that queued together or 2 singles. Either way, the only option left out would be 4. If you have 4 people, nut up and grab 1 more.

Just a thought, I could easily be swayed since I’m not diving too deep into the pros cons, but 1, 2, or 3 queues seem like it could work.

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

in PvP

Posted by: Ostricheggs.3742

Ostricheggs.3742

Skimmed through the thread, saw a hole bunch of downed state talk, so I’ll ask this:

1. How do you take downed states and make them balanced? Currently they seem to be completely out of whack with eles downed state being the best by a MILE.

And on a completely unrelated note:

2. How does A-net make balancing decisions in general? Why all the opaqueness?

twitch.tv/ostricheggs MOTM/TOL 2/TOG NA/WTS Beijing winner. Message me for PvP Coaching
@$20 an hour! It’s worth it!

in PvP

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

not a question, but just saying that this will be another “tell the players about some fixes/changes that are coming soon and then telling them again (like in every show) that all the problems we know, they know already & they’re just choosing to pick the right solutions”. #AnetDevsQ&A101.

EDIT: actually I do have a question about the PvP maps in this game. Does Anet plan on releasing a type of RTS map like League/Dota or sort of like CTF_2Fort/CTP_Well (in Team Fortress 2), in terms of having identically opposing halfs within a map? Wouldn’t you (whoever the Anet dev. is here) agree that so far, that type of terrain design has resulted in a lot competitive team strats for lots of other competitive PvP games which requires lots of so-called ‘map awareness’, and wouldn’t you say that in GW2 it’s simply a lot harder to understand the map structure visually/systematically due to it being not symmetrical and confusingly asymmetrical? (because if my side is the same as their side, it’s a) fair, b) players can learn to understand the opponent’s side by understanding their own side… of the map, c) clear map-advantage is shown on the map itself)

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

in PvP

daydream.2938

i hate to say it but MMo dota would be awesome lol. towers and mobs spawn. But that would be a major patch and event, not sure its realistic on the horizon.

in PvP

Posted by: Taym.8326

Taym.8326

^ I really like this idea, or at the very least profession specific.

in PvP

Posted by: Oni.5429

Oni.5429

^ This. A MILLION TIMES THIS.

+1, one of the main reasons I’ve more or less only played Mesmer is because my binds are entierly made for the shatter spec and they don’t work for any other class and I cba switching them around constantly.

Crs Helseth, Mesmer for Team Curse

in PvP

Posted by: tarcheg.4872

tarcheg.4872

Why completely remake the game when there is nothing wrong with downed state?

Are you serious with that statement? So in your opinion all the down states are balanced? There is nothing wrong with ele down state? Or a phantasmal rogue hitting for 6+k (a pet from down state!!!)
I’m not saying it’s best to get completely rid of down state, but yes, it does need some serious work and balancing… probably even more than the “non-ds-skills”

in PvP

Posted by: Pyrial.2917

Pyrial.2917

Are they going to implement an open PTR?

in PvP

Posted by: hooma.9642

hooma.9642

Question for Jonathan Sharp:
1. he think that pvp-player should not generate gold in a fair amount like pve-player to buy something or even exchange them to gems? atm pvp-player or forced to play pve or use real money to get something for them via gemshop or tp.. like dyes, minipets and skins and so on. but pve has the freedom of choice to use the farmed gold or spend real money.
2. why spvp dont generate something we can use in the other worlds…. karma, exp or something useful. why we hasnt something unique skin as compensation for the poor gamepart connection of spvp to pve and wvw.. will he that if we play spvp we only play spvp where a pve can switch between wvw and pve without loosing any progression?
3. whats with the certain starter armors from pve chars that are in the pvp locker but nobody knows how to get them. they could not be of a high rank only cause they are mostly ugly.

in PvP

Posted by: Sheslat.6750

Sheslat.6750

1 question:

It’s a ladder so much difficult to add or they are looking for some new matchmaking system to do something different of the other games like they do in pve and trinity?

in PvP

Posted by: Wooyadeen.6491

Wooyadeen.6491

Are they going to implement an open PTR?

They can test all tooltip changes without us i guess.

in PvP

Posted by: Nuoper.7503

Nuoper.7503

Burst skill not a “burst” – Not a superiority, but a waste (adrenaline).
Design fail(?), burst skill gives not effective chance to warrior make a turn against opponent. Really wanna know about the concept with Burst skill & what the programmers are trying to show.

Refer:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/warrior/Burst-Skill-need-more-love

in PvP

Khalifahaze.6045

Why completely remake the game when there is nothing wrong with downed state?

Are you serious with that statement? So in your opinion all the down states are balanced? There is nothing wrong with ele down state? Or a phantasmal rogue hitting for 6+k (a pet from down state!!!)
I’m not saying it’s best to get completely rid of down state, but yes, it does need some serious work and balancing… probably even more than the “non-ds-skills”

I love how you quoted this without reading the next sentence after it. You sir are a moron.

“Why completely remake the game when there is nothing wrong with downed state? Some abilities of certain classes could be changed, but not downed state as a whole.”

in PvP

Posted by: Skyro.3108

Skyro.3108

If you could OP, I would have at least one question regarding ANet’s insistence on the tournament structure in sPvP rather than the tried-and-true, 1v1 MMR-matched, lower rated team picks map queue that is used successfully in so many other popular games.

While it is obvious ANet planned this as a mechanic to generate income via ticket sales, it is also quite obvious at this point that it has severly hampered interest in sPvP. Why not find other means to generate income from the sPvP playerbase w/o crippling the playerbase? Allowing skins to be applied in sPvP was the first step, but go all the way with it, for example they can make it so if you right-click skins in the PvP locker there is an option to buy it for X amount of gems.

Then they can make automated tournaments daily at set times of the day (2 or 3 times to facilitate players from different time zones) with a very low barrier to entry (perhaps a sliding scale where the higher rated you are the less the cost) for QPs, then apply the same mechanic for monthly tournaments with a sliding scale based on QPs or something. This keeps the spirit of the income generating aspect of the game as being 1) entirely optional (skins) or 2) as a means to save time (not having to grind as much rating/QPs to enter the respective tournaments).

in PvP

Posted by: produde.8092

produde.8092

Many things people address here are very true and i agree with many of those things. That said, I want just everyone to lower their expectations so people don`t get disappointed too much.

Adeera

in PvP

Posted by: Fourth.1567

Fourth.1567

The thing I am most concerned about it whether they are actively hiring or transitioning more people to work on the PvP side of things. Right now the game feels like it is years out of being a competitive game with the current pacing of things. A lot of people are quite discouraged by the allocation of resources between PvE and PvP.

With the downed state I would say it is necessary with how the game currently functions but definitely not ideal. It would actually be possible to overhaul the downstate while keeping its current purpose the same and removing a bunch of the negative aspects of it.

I don’t find downstate having nearly all their damage coming from a reliable source a good thing. I think it should consist more of big burst skill shots that need to be charged before they can be used. This would give players more control over preventing damage from downed state players, rather than the damage being inevitable and help make 1v2s more feasible.

Rallying should also be adjusted, possibly instead of having the player get out of the downed state completely their downed state hp is healed by a certain %.