Posted by: Moorecore.6349

Moorecore.6349

I think with a comp of larger than 5 we will see more diverse builds too

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Roe.3679

Roe.3679

I think with a comp of larger than 5 we will see more diverse builds too

True, but likely anything larger than 10 will result in zergs.

I personally hope for 8 man teams.

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

In my view, I see it either being 8v8 or 10v10. I don’t see 5v5 working well in this type of game mode (if its what I think it is).

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Chaith.8256

Chaith.8256

I would hope for at least 10v10 otherwise what really makes this map any different from a glorified Legacy of the Foefire?

It’s completely different in the fact that instead of the task you’re doing would not be attaining, conquest points, it’d be to perfecting the wide array of seige type tasks to do. With around equal parts focus on combat.

Forum Lord Chaith
Twitch.tv/chaithh
New Twitter: @chaithhh

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

I would hope for at least 10v10 otherwise what really makes this map any different from a glorified Legacy of the Foefire?

If this is the perspective one is to take then legacy is glorified gw1 GvG.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: rotten.9753

rotten.9753

I’m curious if everyone is expecting a similiar matchmaking as we have currently, namely that if you queue with e.g. 2 people the system will find you the rest of the team. But even if you don’t need a full premade, queue times will still be much longer than they are now currently in 5v5.

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I never join my guildmates in team queue because I dont’ want to get into the social issue. For example I can be a bad player and dont’ get blamed.

If guild vs guild is exlucsive to team play, I will be left out(or forced to to team fight that I dont’ necessary want).

I hope solo players can experienced stronghold too.

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Archaon.9524

Archaon.9524

still sounds way better that zerg vs zerg

Ark 2nd Account

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

I always find it amusing that the so-called pvp’rs in this thread always ridicule the far superior build choice that is available in wvw as opposed to the restrictions forced on you by spvp. WvW allows you to fine tune your build much more than spvp ever will, leading to more varied encounters. Gear isn’t really all that much of an issue in wvw, there isn’t that much difference between exotic and ascended unless the players are perfectly balanced in every other aspect, which almost never happens in spvp, never mind wvw.

If it’s 5v5, then it is just another 5v5 map with bells and whistles and won’t appeal to guilds any more than any other 5v5 map does- even less so, if it contains more pve elements.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Roe.3679

I always find it amusing that the so-called pvp’rs in this thread always ridicule the far superior build choice that is available in wvw as opposed to the restrictions forced on you by spvp. WvW allows you to fine tune your build much more than spvp ever will, leading to more varied encounters. Gear isn’t really all that much of an issue in wvw, there isn’t that much difference between exotic and ascended unless the players are perfectly balanced in every other aspect, which almost never happens in spvp, never mind wvw.

If it’s 5v5, then it is just another 5v5 map with bells and whistles and won’t appeal to guilds any more than any other 5v5 map does- even less so, if it contains more pve elements.

Varied encounters happen in WvW because you see people with zerg builds and roaming builds, and the real main difference is the fact that pvp is based around capture points. Not many Nike warriors or PU mesmers in pvp. As already stated in this thread, pvp lets people fight on mostly even ground, and your quickness to downplay ascended gear (without infusions) is silly. You don’t even mention food, WvW buffs or regular full weapon stacks. Plus, read the thread, most people want this to be larger than 5 v 5.

Oh and PVE elements… Like what WvW has? Sounds like this is mimicking older, successful pvp from gw1 or successful PVP from mobas, so even though I’m also not thrilled about PVE elements, it still sounds exciting to me.

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Morwath.9817

Morwath.9817

Plus, read the thread, most people want this to be larger than 5 v 5.

You mean few screaming guys who mistaken WvW subforum with PvP subforum?

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Roe.3679

Plus, read the thread, most people want this to be larger than 5 v 5.

You mean few screaming guys who mistaken WvW subforum with PvP subforum?

Most of them seem to want 15 or 20 man teams. I’m fine with the idea of 5 mans for reasons already stated, but it seems most posters want 8 or 10 man teams. It’ll be tested in beta and I’m sure we’ll end up with the best number. Either way, WvW players pushing for this to be their answer for gvg death matches won’t be satisfied.

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

My hope for Stronghold is that its diverse. That it’s not just for sPvP people. Because lets be honest, that’s not a lot of people.

I like the fact that they described it as a combo of GW1 GvG and Ft. Aspenwood. That gives me hope.

There needs to be a pro circuit. And an amateur circuit.

• Pro can be premade teams and Guilds. Like GW1 GvG. It can be 5 or 8 player teams.
  • Amateur can be hot join. Like GW1 Ft. Aspenwood. It can be 8 – 12 player teams.

Everybody’s happy.

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

PvP players don’t ridicule the build variety in WvW. What PvP players ridicule is the obvious absolute lack of balance and broken mechanics available in WvW due to all sorts of blatantly broken things such as consumables etc. Builds based upon broken and blatantly unbalanced functions in the game are ridiculous.

Build variety is great, but it having build variety should never trump having a balanced game.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

(edited by Reikou.7068)

Stronghold will fail.

in PvP

Posted by: Zinwrath.2049

Zinwrath.2049

The reason stronghold should be a healthy addition is because it is pretty much what people wanted upon gw2 release.

The reason moba’s for example do so well, they take the rpg combat scenario and create a diverse battlefield where several roles are able and with purpose.

You can have junglers. Champs that do pve stuff well like clear waves. Champs that support, Champs that tank, champs that skirmish or assassinate. Far more variety than you will find in your typical control point map, that usually revolve around who can sit on the point the longest as for most King of the Hill variants.

By adding a mode that puts in a pve objective system allows pve builds to function, the game is built around pve as well of course, so abilities and talents that before were not viable in SPVP suddenly have purpose, as do many others given the several objectives the map boasts. You could defend clear monsters, capture heroes to fight for your team. If this follows moba’s as games start to climax you will also start to see large team fights as the team no longer spreads out to their individual roles but band together for that final push to take down the enemy base. This also gives you more variety of types of combat over the course of the game.

If you follow/play heroes of the storm. It is built with all this in mind, which allows them to get really crazy with their champion design.

Being as guild wars 2 offers much more customization than you’d find in a moba (bar the many hero choices) through item/talents etc. This should open the doors to all kinds of interesting choices that really benefits from its wide customization where before, it has been rather stale to bunker build, roamer build with most builds being built around pushing people off a point surviving, or doing lots of condition damage.

My friends quit the game within the first 6 months, as did the majority of the spvp fanbase. Whats left is the people so die hard to the system they’re willing to continue playing it…OR they just really find conquest entertaining. But, they are the minority when you consider the larger audience that once held interest in this game. This game mode very well may be what that original audience wanted all along…and with any good marketing on arenanets part may pull back a lot of those players breathing much needed life into spvp.

I applaud them for taking this massive leap in hopes of bringing those players back. More players = more money for them = more frequent updates. So in the end, I hope its executed properly and fun.