TDM vs Annihalation

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: dday.9532

dday.9532

jus to make it clear

TDM= deathmatch with respawns, the goal is to get to certain score or amount of kills to win.
Annihilation= no respawn deathmath (aka arena)

I thought it was clear that nobody wanted deathmatch and that it doesnt work well for this game? But over and over i see posts about people asking for TDM? I feel that there is no place for it besides hotjoin. It does not encourage good team play and encourages spawn camping. It does not encourage focusing down targets it encourages newer players to run around and kill aimlessly.

IMO Annihilation works much better, and im pretty sure anyone who has been playing pvp in this game for a while now would agree.

If u disagree, tell me why because i just cant see why anyone would prefer TDM.

So please please anet disregard the TDM posts… We want Annihilation.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Exedore.6320

Exedore.6320

Custom arenas can increase respawn time up to 2 minutes. Do that or use the honor system for not respawning (turn off force respawn) and you’ll see that it’s still a bad format.

Kirrena Rosenkreutz

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Raunchy.6891

Raunchy.6891

I always thought tdm fit this game better. There is definitely good team play in tdm. Not everything needs to be annihilation to be competitive. To me this game has pretty fast paced gameplay and with the absence of true support/healer classes annihilation literally leaves no room for error in group fights. You could say that involves skill but all it really means is that each group will find the squishest person on the opposing team and focus them down relentlessly while the opposing team does the same. Which pushes out glassy builds and makes everyone try to bunker. The community has been pretty against that archetype from the beginning so I doubt they would want that. Tdm leaves a little more room for error and makes it so that you at least have a choice in your builds. It’s also a more newb friendly mode that people can actually practice in, instead of being instagibbed and waiting 5mins for the next round. Just my opinion.

Also, it’s pretty easy to stop spawn camping. You just make multiple ways to leave the spawning area, Anet figured that one out on their own.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: dday.9532

dday.9532

I annihilation literally leaves no room for error in group fights. You could say that involves skill but all it really means is that each group will find the squishiest person on the opposing team and focus them down relentlessly while the opposing team does the same. Which pushes out glassy builds and makes everyone try to bunker…TDM leaves a little more room for error and makes it so that you at least have a choice in your builds. It’s also a more noob friendly mode

I cant say i agree with your view on annihilation.

i do agree TDM is more noob friendly, and that’s why i think its fine where it is. in hotjoin. I think custom arenas should have ability to turn points off so u can just do 8v8/ 10v10 tdm with side objectives.

But as a true new game mode Annihilation is a much better option. it does leave a lot less room for error which is why i believe it is a better mode. If you are good at the game and want to play it competitively you should be punished for making mistakes, and i believe TDM is much too forgiving.

Zerker classes will never be nonviable. You could say thief and mesmer ( pretty much strictly zerker classes) are the two most viable. (though you could argue this is only due to stealth and ability to disengage) Yes people are going to try to focus down the squishier target ( I usually go for necro, ele, engi, ranger first) but there are always counters to that. You will usually see the player being focused staying back, while the opposing team has to push forward. If played right your team can put a decent amount of pressure while they waste their time trying to focus dude in the back. Then u push back when the time is right.

Overall, i feel like Annihilation has a much higher skill cap. TDM is fun for mindless killing, but that’s about it. i don’t believe it is fit for anywhere beside hotjoin.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

GW1 arenas were annihilation, any GW1 players asking for TDM were likely referring to annihilation.

The ESL 2v2’s and I believe the upcoming 3v3s are and will be annihilation. If you’d like to experience it OP, try working towards participating in those if possible.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Phadde.7362

Phadde.7362

I think TDM is great when you just want to get some PvP kills, which usually occurs for me when I’m tired and bored.

Annihilation is much better when you want some proper PvP. Whenever I want to get that outside of Conquest, it’s a matter of finding a server (usually w/o progression) where people play fair 1v1 or 2v2 duels to the death.
That usually means that some people have to stand and watch while the others finish their duels… And even if you where to play on a server like that with progression, you would barely get any rewards for playing at all.

An actual Annihilation game mode is what I would like the most right now. Duels is absurdly enjoyable to play and actually a lot more enjoyable to watch.

Vote for/against <dueling>: http://strawpoll.me/1650018/
Cred to Latinkuro
Gw2 is a masterpiece at it’s foundation. Content-wise however…

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Phadde.7362

Overall, i feel like Annihilation has a much higher skill cap. TDM is fun for mindless killing, but that’s about it. i don’t believe it is fit for anywhere beside hotjoin.

Jupp.

Annihilation is much more structured and fair.

Cred to Latinkuro

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Klocknov.8219

Klocknov.8219

For ranked I wanted annihilation and for hot joins I wanted some fast action TDM, it is always good to get a refresher from the slowness of roaming in silver leauge going in to a TDM arena to get some kill frenzy going. But for competitive play, Annihilation is the way to go. Only way to make TDM work is doing like Team Arenas did in GW1 have it to where you could respawn if a team member is still alive otherwise your team loses when all five die and the respawn would have to be set at about 1m intervals maybe 30s to make it fair play. Or incorporet perma down-state till you are done with the map, so everytime you go down your next time your lower and lower until your insta-down and thus perma down at that point.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Phadde.7362

For ranked I wanted annihilation and for hot joins I wanted some fast action TDM, it is always good to get a refresher from the slowness of roaming in silver leauge going in to a TDM arena to get some kill frenzy going. But for competitive play, Annihilation is the way to go. Only way to make TDM work is doing like Team Arenas did in GW1 have it to where you could respawn if a team member is still alive otherwise your team loses when all five die and the respawn would have to be set at about 1m intervals maybe 30s to make it fair play. Or incorporet perma down-state till you are done with the map, so everytime you go down your next time your lower and lower until your insta-down and thus perma down at that point.

I think Annihilation should be available in Hot join first to see how it works out balance- and gameplay-wise. Then it should be implemented in a separate ranked queue as well.

Cred to Latinkuro

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Eve.1580

Eve.1580

Three Words.
“Hero’s Ascent”

Seriously, put a ladder system for annihilation (ranked), and I would be the happiest Eve on the planet.

I FRIGGEN LOVE the TDM.. But you guys are right, its better in hotjoin, as long as if there is an annihilation system that functions properly.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

Annihilation is, more-or-less, first team to get 1 kill wins.

Source: see every major teamfight in conquest games.

Its way too easy to get a quick spike through focused effort, especially when you can be sure that target isn’t coming back.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

TDM gives you the ability to do both, whereas a strict annihilation only mode doesn’t. Also TDM is more hotjoin friendly (neither would have ever made it to tPvP rotations), whereas annihilation is basically over after the first person is stomped.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Phadde.7362

TDM gives you the ability to do both, whereas a strict annihilation only mode doesn’t. Also TDM is more hotjoin friendly (neither would have ever made it to tPvP rotations), whereas annihilation is basically over after the first person is stomped.

Well, wouldn’t the best idea be to just keep TDM and add Annihilation? Everyone’s happy. Some of us are overjoyed =)

I think your argument that it might be a matter of whoever kills whom first is legit. It was usually the same thing in WoW and it would probably be the same thing in Wildstar. However, in the latter example, teams have a set of lives. This means that the first kill doesn’t get even nearly as important.
If they establish Annihilation as a game mode, may it first be as an experiment, just like Courtyard is currently; If your concern is proven to be an issue, they could add lives. Or balance it out. Or perhaps will the players themselves figure out ways around this that works?

Cred to Latinkuro

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

They don’t need to actually introduce Annihilation itself. They could essentially “create” it by allowing custom arena owners to turn off respawns, and set the point value such that a full wipe of one team = win the game.

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

They don’t need to actually introduce Annihilation itself. They could essentially “create” it by allowing custom arena owners to turn off respawns, and set the point value such that a full wipe of one team = win the game.

Well the day of the patch i have been in a custom arena where the points were set so the match end after 3 kills the respawn timer was at max value it worked pretty well.
Now what we need is for anet to support these game modes (with a queue or at least some hotjoin 2v2 and 3v3 arenas).

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Phadde.7362

Well the day of the patch i have been in a custom arena where the points were set so the match end after 3 kills the respawn timer was at max value it worked pretty well.
Now what we need is for anet to support these game modes (with a queue or at least some hotjoin 2v2 and 3v3 arenas).

Sounds awesome! Did people disengage back from the circular arena in the middle to the sides too much? Was it a matter of whichever side gets the first kill? Where there any issues with stealth, bunkers, or glasscannons? Was 3v3 too much of a “zerg” with too many particle effects, or did the teams manage to utilize teamwork in a good manner?

Cred to Latinkuro

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I’ll take anything other than this kitten conquest mode.

I agree that annihilation can easily snowball against the team with the weakest link, once they are killed off. Giving a set of lives and buffs or something could help – perhaps similar to the wintersday pvp thing (can’t remember what it’s called).

I like that they’ve made courtyard, although sadly it seems to attract nothing but farming inn large groups…

The only thing keeping me playing spvp is to unlock all the finishers – otherwise I’d happily kitten off to wvw and never touch spvp again.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Phadde.7362

I like that they’ve made courtyard, although sadly it seems to attract nothing but farming inn large groups…

It partly attracts zerging, and partly some really nice dueling culture. =)

Love the fact that people initiate the duels by bowing, while friends & foes stand shoulder to shoulder, spectating.

Cred to Latinkuro

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

The TDM map just isn’t big enough for any decent amount of numbers

They need to make it bigger

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Phadde.7362

The TDM map just isn’t big enough for any decent amount of numbers

They need to make it bigger

I can agree that it gets too small for bigger teamsizes. In contrast, I think it’s too big for 1v1 & 2v2, since you can easily disengage from the middle to the outer circle.

Cred to Latinkuro

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Oni Link.4621

Oni Link.4621

Annihilation +1

I would like to see a Last Man Standing too.
And Team Tag too :O

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Teckos.1305

Teckos.1305

Sounds awesome! Did people disengage back from the circular arena in the middle to the sides too much? Was it a matter of whichever side gets the first kill? Where there any issues with stealth, bunkers, or glasscannons? Was 3v3 too much of a “zerg” with too many particle effects, or did the teams manage to utilize teamwork in a good manner?

Well i found it really good not a lot of particle effect, group stealthing, switching focus etc. I did not stay encounter any full bunker team. We did not move as a zerg we had some individual action(flanking) but also some group action(stealth initiation, combo finishers),and the fact that it is not a on point fight, gives the opportunity to try many other builds.

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

The problem is that custom arena wins are not rewarding. Winning in a couple seconds is not far from losing in a couple seconds in terms of current rewards. Annihilation mode could have more sense kitten tournament, where you win something, or lose something (reward/rating win or loss).

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

+1 to annihilation. I could even imagine the announcer guy going “annihilate the enemy!”

Tho I’ve always thought a lane vs lane type combat would suit the game in the 3d style
Like smite, or perhaps even a kind of tug of war map that forces multiple team fights in some way (like team based nidhog as a rpg)

The problem I see with all of those including annihilation is like the current state of affairs, the absolute abundance of no risk good reward builds. There is almost no reason to roll anything else… And in annihilation even with goldly peels we’re looking at virtually a 4 v 5

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

TDM vs Annihalation

in PvP

Phadde.7362

Well i found it really good not a lot of particle effect, group stealthing, switching focus etc. I did not stay encounter any full bunker team. We did not move as a zerg we had some individual action(flanking) but also some group action(stealth initiation, combo finishers),and the fact that it is not a on point fight, gives the opportunity to try many other builds.

Great to hear! Can’t wait until they implement this! =D

Cred to Latinkuro